PDA

View Full Version : Prairie View A&M University is in need of an ENTIRE football staff

Panther88
December 1st, 2014, 12:15 PM
Recommendations/thoughts? The last HC's salary was 199,000$ annum.

We offer 57 (fairly certain w/ 2.5 lost to previous APR (?) ) full-rides. New state of the art stadium venue to be completed 06/2016 that seats 15K expandable to 30K. Growing D-I FCS proram w/ a few financial alums seeking to move PVAMU out of the SWAC into american society ;) lol. *staring @ the SLC*

Daytripper
December 1st, 2014, 12:32 PM
Should be a pretty attractive job. Fertile recruiting ground, for sure.

DFW HOYA
December 1st, 2014, 12:34 PM
Growing D-I FCS proram w/ a few financial alums seeking to move PVAMU out of the SWAC into american society ;) lol. *staring @ the SLC*

A few have talked about it (FAMU, Del State) but outside of Tennessee State no one seems ready to take the next step. How serious is PV this time?

NoDak 4 Ever
UAB has an entire staff about to be out of work through no fault of their own.

Panther88
Should be a pretty attractive job. Fertile recruiting ground, for sure.

Personally speaking, Daytripper, I want Sam's entire coaching staff :). But, whomever ultimately gets the job must have a TON of patience dealing w/ naive individuals/figure-heads like the "athletic director" lol and the prezzo of the university, who possesses ZERO athleticism or competivity in his entire body :).

Panther88
December 1st, 2014, 12:37 PM
A few have talked about it (FAMU, Del State) but outside of Tennessee State no one seems ready to take the next step. How serious is PV this time?

There are only a few of us, unfortunately, DFW HOYA, who see the beneifit(s) of leaving the current SWAC. Geographically/regionally speaking, PVAMU has ZERO business sending non-rev sports teams to alabama for competition or Mississippi. Can you say... budget busters Title IX? :(

W/ the new stadium a reality, it makes ZERO sense and ZERO cents for PVAMU to maintain this little segregated world it has endured since 1921.

Sam Houston St w/in a 1.2hr drive of PVAMU
HBU w/in a 1hr drive of PVAMU
Incarnate Word w/in a 3hr drive of PVAMU
ACU w/in a 5-6hr drive of PVAMU
McNeese St w/in a 5hr drive of PVAMU
SFA w/in a 3hr drive of PVAMU
TxSouthern w/in a 1hr drive of PVAMU

See where I'm going w/ this? xreadx

WileECoyote06
December 1st, 2014, 12:40 PM

lol. . yeah go ahead and take him seriously if you want to. If Prairie View wanted to leave the SWAC it would have happened years ago. Just ask Henry Frazier to come back and be done with it.

Daytripper
December 1st, 2014, 12:41 PM
Personally speaking, Daytripper, I want Sam's entire coaching staff :). But, whomever ultimately gets the job must have a TON of patience dealing w/ naive individuals/figure-heads like the "athletic director" lol and the prezzo of the university, who possesses ZERO athleticism or competitivity in his entire body :).

Herein lies the problem. A successful athletic program must start from the top. If the President doesn't buy in to athletic success, there is nothing the AD and/or Head Coach can do to establish long-term success. Good luck to you, though.

centennial
December 1st, 2014, 12:42 PM
Bunch of great coaches in D2 that play already at a better level than PVAM. Otherwise there a few DC, OC. At $200k PVAM supersedes 3/4th of FCS for salaries.

Panther88
December 1st, 2014, 12:43 PM
lol. . yeah go ahead and take him seriously if you want to. If Prairie View wanted to leave the SWAC it would have happened years ago. Just ask Henry Frazier to come back and be done with it.

WileECoyote06, I never realized you attended and graduated Prairie View A&M University and have the overall pulse of a lot of alums? And to boot, you're actually a NATIVE TEXAN??? Wow!!!!! xlolx

GREAT SCOTT!!!!!! lol!!! No! No! No! LMMFAO!!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Panther88
December 1st, 2014, 12:45 PM
Herein lies the problem. A successful athletic program must start from the top. If the President doesn't buy in to athletic success, there is nothing the AD and/or Head Coach can do to establish long-term success. Good luck to you, though.

Trust DT, we're aware :(. Hence the numerous issues over the last 40+ years @ PVAMU. The "tops" never understood or embraced collegiate athletic competivity. I think the non-upgraded football venue of the last 35-40 years testifies positively to their mindset. xsmhx

Daytripper
December 1st, 2014, 12:48 PM
Bunch of great coaches in D2 that play already at a better level than PVAM. Otherwise there a few DC, OC. At $200k PVAM supersedes 3/4th of FCS for salaries.

Put in a call to that CSU-Pueblo coach..xnodx Buffalo hired a DIII coach!

PV_Sigma7
December 1st, 2014, 01:32 PM
This guy? xlolx Been out of coaching for three years following that ugly domestic incident.

http://media.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/photo/haywoodjpg-93853be07f03bf3b.jpg

WileECoyote06
December 1st, 2014, 01:35 PM
WileECoyote06, I never realized you attended and graduated Prairie View A&M University and have the overall pulse of a lot of alums? And to boot, you're actually a NATIVE TEXAN??? Wow!!!!! xlolx

GREAT SCOTT!!!!!! lol!!! No! No! No! LMMFAO!!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Don't actually care what PVAMU does, but I do get tired of your rants about PVAMU leaving the SWAC, and your silly references to segregation. We've had this conversation about integration vs assimilation before and I won't rehash that. However, there is nothing keeping the Panthers from seeking an invitation to the Southland Conference. But they gotta want you as much as you want them.

PV_Sigma7
December 1st, 2014, 01:36 PM
This guy? xlolx Been out of coaching for three years following that ugly domestic incident.

http://media.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/photo/haywoodjpg-93853be07f03bf3b.jpg

Haywood is currently living in Houston...

melloware13
December 1st, 2014, 02:03 PM
UAB has an entire staff about to be out of work through no fault of their own.

Ouch, but they got UAB to be bowl eligible in their first year as a staff. I'd think they should be in line for a few FBS jobs, but it would work out well for PVAMU

TheRevSFA
December 1st, 2014, 03:03 PM
Id love to see PVAM in the SLC. I think with the new facility and not having SWAC hang ups they could definitely improve

Daytripper
December 1st, 2014, 03:16 PM
Id love to see PVAM in the SLC. I think with the new facility and not having SWAC hang ups they could definitely improve

Better than HBU.

Panther88
December 1st, 2014, 04:04 PM
Don't actually care what PVAMU does, but I do get tired of your rants about PVAMU leaving the SWAC, and your silly references to segregation. We've had this conversation about integration vs assimilation before and I won't rehash that. However, there is nothing keeping the Panthers from seeking an invitation to the Southland Conference. But they gotta want you as much as you want them.

The de facto PV ALUM is still speaking?
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Go swim the atlantic boy. Damn. Why are you here again, since you "don't actually care what PVAMU does?" DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH H

UNIFanSince1983
December 1st, 2014, 04:06 PM
Put in a call to that CSU-Pueblo coach..xnodx Buffalo hired a DIII coach!

That DIII coach also won 5 National Championships in 8 years and has a 106-6 record for his career.

Panther88
December 1st, 2014, 04:10 PM
That DIII coach also won 5 National Championships in 8 years and has a 106-6 record for his career.

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me catch my breath!!!!

DAMN!!!!!!!!

Daytripper
December 1st, 2014, 04:11 PM

Understood. I'm not saying that they shouldn't have hired him. I'm just saying that it is a bold a** move by an FBS team. If FBS can take a DIII coach, FCS should have no problem plucking HCs from DII or DIII.....even JUCO shouldn't be out of the question. A good coach is a good coach...period.

Panther88
December 1st, 2014, 04:12 PM
A good coach is a good coach...period.

"I agree"

Sincerely, Art Briles

I lauded Art Briles and staff since the SHS days. Obviously he knows all it takes to be successful.

UNIFanSince1983
December 1st, 2014, 04:23 PM
Understood. I'm not saying that they shouldn't have hired him. I'm just saying that it is a bold a** move by an FBS team. If FBS can take a DIII coach, FCS should have no problem plucking HCs from DII or DIII.....even JUCO shouldn't be out of the question. A good coach is a good coach...period.

Oh no doubt. Most of the time people are afraid to take chances like that. I mean if a guy can do that when he gets 0 scholarships let's see what he can do with them. For a team like Buffalo it a chance they should be willing to take.

Panther88
December 1st, 2014, 04:35 PM
Look @ the qualifications that were hastily placed for the position *smh*:

https://jobs.pvamu.edu/postings/2908

Daytripper
December 1st, 2014, 04:37 PM
Oh no doubt. Most of the time people are afraid to take chances like that. I mean if a guy can do that when he gets 0 scholarships let's see what he can do with them. For a team like Buffalo it a chance they should be willing to take.

This. Also, some might argue that recruiting is different the higher level you get. Well, get yourself an experienced recruiting coordinator from the level you are now coaching....

WileECoyote06
December 1st, 2014, 05:36 PM
The de facto PV ALUM is still speaking?
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Go swim the atlantic boy. Damn. Why are you here again, since you "don't actually care what PVAMU does?" DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH H

Because YOU say silly stuff. I may still be on AGS in twenty years when SFA, McNeese, and Sam Houston have moved on and Prairie View finally gets that coveted SLC invite. Go ahead and screenshot the letter, email or hologram when it happens.

Texas
December 1st, 2014, 05:44 PM
Because YOU say silly stuff. I may still be on AGS in twenty years when SFA, McNeese, and Sam Houston have moved on and Prairie View finally gets that coveted SLC invite. Go ahead and screenshot the letter, email or hologram when it happens.
I'm pretty sure if there was interest from PV, SLC would have sent that invite already. We have HBU and IWU as new additions if that tells you anything.
I'd easily trade both for TSU and PV.

Panther88
December 1st, 2014, 06:07 PM

Are you from Durham-North Carolina, TEXAS, boy? Why are you here again? xlolx

BluBengal07
December 1st, 2014, 08:36 PM
PV has been here before, yes? put they could shock with their potential with facilities. shouldn't have to pay that much to get the right staff together. just be smart with it and invest within. it would be something if PV and TxSU teamed up to join SLC. but since SLC, is currently at 13, they might just take one. however, it would be a financial savings with athletic travels.

PV_Sigma7
December 2nd, 2014, 08:55 AM
PV has been here before, yes? put they could shock with their potential with facilities. shouldn't have to pay that much to get the right staff together. just be smart with it and invest within. it would be something if PV and TxSU teamed up to join SLC. but since SLC, is currently at 13, they might just take one. however, it would be a financial savings with athletic travels.

That's too much like right for our AD and Prez. xconfusedx

Panther88
December 2nd, 2014, 09:28 AM
join SLC.
. however, it would be a financial savings with athletic travels.

Overly budget and TIME/TRAVEL friendly for student-athletes and alumni/supporters. Those former travel funds could easily be redirected to... Let me shut up. :(

DSUrocks07
December 3rd, 2014, 02:47 PM
Del State had an opportunity to hire a very successful D3 coach a few years back and ended up bringing in an HBCU retread (par for the course) who had predictable results...

Outside the box thinking? Never to be seen at an HBCU. They continue to live in their glory days.

Panther88
December 3rd, 2014, 03:02 PM
Del State ended up bringing in an HBCU retread (par for the course) who had predictable results...

Outside the box thinking? Never to be seen at an HBCU. They continue to live in their glory days.

Please don't ever speak those words again or you'll be labeled an "HBCU hater" or "uncle tom" or whatever other stupid foolish words the stupid dummies come up w/ lol.

BTW, I agree w/ you on the HBCU "retread." Their record(s) is(are) irrefutable. :(

PAllen
December 3rd, 2014, 03:12 PM
Trust DT, we're aware :(. Hence the numerous issues over the last 40+ years @ PVAMU. The "tops" never understood or embraced collegiate athletic competivity. I think the non-upgraded football venue of the last 35-40 years testifies positively to their mindset. xsmhx

competivity? If that's a real word, I'll give you major reps. If not, well, we'll blame the keyboard. :)

Panther88
December 3rd, 2014, 03:38 PM
competivity? If that's a real word, I'll give you major reps. If not, well, we'll blame the keyboard. :)

Actually, I think it's competitivity but I caught flack for using "competitivity" vs "competivity" by someone on this site. While in Rome, speak Rom.... :(

BTW, feel free to rep :D lol.

813Jag
December 4th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Del State had an opportunity to hire a very successful D3 coach a few years back and ended up bringing in an HBCU retread (par for the course) who had predictable results...

Is a retread just a coach that bounced from hbcu head job to hbcu head job? Or is it someone that held any hbcu coaching position no matter the length of time? Also Alcorn gets props for thinking outside the box big time.

DSUrocks07
December 4th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Is a retread just a coach that bounced from hbcu head job to hbcu head job? Or is it someone that held any hbcu coaching position no matter the length of time? Also Alcorn gets props for thinking outside the box big time.
IMO its a career coach who has never seen measured success at any school (whether at one or bounces around), but will always been in the conversations for open gigs because of their "HBCU experience", in our case, we decided against even offering the local coach across town who had made multiple deep playoff runs in D3 and instead went for a coach with a career .500 record at Winston-Salem over 20 years, because he was the "safe choice". Its no accident that the brouhaha around the hiring process was happening around the time of the racial unrest that was on campus. Talk of how DSU was "losing sight of its mission" and that "whites were too big of an influence" in the administration (actual quote from a DSU student at the time).

Now we're a bottom of the barrel MEAC team, and nobody truly cares, because if they did they wouldn't stand for it. But it wouldn't surprise me if Blount stayed on for another 3 or 4 seasons.

DSUrocks07
December 4th, 2014, 06:40 PM
But then again I'm a part of the faction that believes that having ALL the HBCUs (minus TN State) herded into two conferences is counterintuitive to its mission and to the detrement of its athletic programs. Yeah its a great draw to the power, large fanbase schools (Gram, SU, FAMU, A&T, etc) but it just feels more of its what is expected moreso that what its best for the individual institutions.

When DSU was floating the idea of leaving the MEAC, a lot of the commentary was that "nobody is going to show up for home games against NEC teams"...hell I could argue that nobody shows up for most of the MEAC teams we play so what difference would it really make?

813Jag
December 4th, 2014, 08:13 PM
But then again I'm a part of the faction that believes that having ALL the HBCUs (minus TN State) herded into two conferences is counterintuitive to its mission and to the detrement of its athletic programs. Yeah its a great draw to the power, large fanbase schools (Gram, SU, FAMU, A&T, etc) but it just feels more of its what is expected moreso that what its best for the individual institutions.

When DSU was floating the idea of leaving the MEAC, a lot of the commentary was that "nobody is going to show up for home games against NEC teams"...hell I could argue that nobody shows up for most of the MEAC teams we play so what difference would it really make?
I agree with everything in both posts. Especially the point about attendance, hell in the right league you can still play one or two of your historical games. That was one good thing about Southern's search, they actually went outside of the usuals (other than Jenkins none of the finalists had been a hbcu head coach) but that's probably because we hired an AD that isn't from the hbcu world. I'm pretending LaFleur didn't exist.

dgtw
December 4th, 2014, 09:07 PM
Didn't Del State once have a white head coach?

GAD
December 4th, 2014, 11:09 PM
Didn't Del State once have a white head coach?
yes

AggieManiac704
December 5th, 2014, 12:13 AM

I'm still waiting for DSU to leave.......I know its coming