PDA

View Full Version : Round 2 SDSU at NDSU

Pages : [1] 2 3

centennial
November 29th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Time for another fight.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Bison had 290 yards rushing in the first game, they do that again it will be the same outcome!

NDSU has a defense, MSU does not!

centennial
November 29th, 2014, 06:28 PM
Bison had 290 yards rushing in the first game, they do that again it will be the same outcome!

NDSU has a defense, MSU does not!
MSU? We are playing SDSU..

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 06:29 PM
MSU? We are playing SDSU..

Yes, my point is the Bison are not going to give up yards like MSU did....xrolleyesx

Gil Dobie
November 29th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Another MVFC Slobberknocker.

Jacked_Rabbit
November 29th, 2014, 06:50 PM
I've got a great feeling about this rematch!!! Bring on the bison.

SUPharmacist
November 29th, 2014, 06:51 PM
Glad to see Zenner have a huge game this week. I don't see two of those games back-to-back, and I think for SDSU to win they will need another like that.

NDSU Fan
November 29th, 2014, 06:52 PM
It's going to be a great game, to close for comfort but the Bison pull away at the end and win by 2 td's. Go Bison!

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 06:55 PM
SDSU has trouble with the Bison running game.

Should be a good game but NDSU's O-line is better than SDSU's D-line and just like the 1st matchup the Bison should have success running the ball.

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2014, 06:57 PM
I think the key will be SDSU's O-line vs NDSU's D-line. In the last few years this has been a matchup NDSU has dominated and the results are evident in Zenner's output and the number of times Sumner has gotten hit or sacked. It appears that the SDSU O-line has improved but they'll be facing the likely Buck Buchanan award winner in DE Kyle Emmanuel who terrorized Sumner to the tune of 4 sacks in the first matchup. I'm sure his mobility was limited since that was his first game back and he hadn't practiced in such a long time but Sumner isn't the most mobile to begin with.

Offensively Carson Wentz has really asserted himself as a runner over the latter part of the season and I think he'll have chances to gash the SDSU defense on the ground and through the air given that they, like most everyone that plays the Bison, will stack the box to stop the run leaving lots of room in the secondary.

Like since his Sophomore season if SDSU is going to win it's going to have to be Zenner that carries them. Can he finally do that against NDSU? We'll see but I'll bet on the Bison defense.

Drblankstare
November 29th, 2014, 07:04 PM
The key will be the SDSU WR core against the the Bison Dbs. NDSU has proven that they can hold ZZ. Can they hold SDSUs talented WR's..... I say yes 31-20 Bison.

Theee Catrabbit
November 29th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Ugh....can we just copy and paste everybody's little insights from the last time we played and save some time and effort........

Bisonator
November 29th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Ugh....can we just copy and paste everybody's little insights from the last time we played and save some time and effort........

Could just as well.xnodx

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 07:55 PM

Unless SDSU can stop the run, how will the next outcome be any different?

Bisonwinagn
November 29th, 2014, 08:46 PM
This may be the best combo run/pass offense NDSU faces in the postseason so it will be interesting to see how we do without Beck.

RabidRabbit
November 29th, 2014, 08:55 PM
These are two really solid teams with a strong familarity with each other. If all the Jacks offensive weapons (Sumner, Zenner, Schneider, Wieneke) & the O-line play great games, this is probably the best chance that the Jacks have of knocking off our powerful, successful rival. It's a shame that this game is so early, as these are both top 10 (MASSEY, GPI, Sagarin) teams, and should be seeded for a later (Semi?) type game.

The winner is likely to be playing in Frisco.

GO JACKS!

BisoNick
November 29th, 2014, 08:56 PM
This may be the best combo run/pass offense NDSU faces in the postseason so it will be interesting to see how we do without Beck.

I think DeLuca will help with stopping the run. Yeah, Beck is gone and it will hurt, but Littlejohn is better suited for the outside and Esley will hold his own. I agree with drblank. I think it'll come down to how well our corners play.

dewey
November 29th, 2014, 10:53 PM
Unless SDSU can stop the run, how will the next outcome be any different?

I agree. SDSU maybe able to move the ball and get some points too but NDSU gashed them big time last time with Crockett and Wentz. The fact is SDSU defensively is not as good as they have been before.

My prediction NDSU 35 SDSU 24.

Dewey

PantherRob82
November 29th, 2014, 11:24 PM
I see this game being similar to the first. I don't see the Bison giving up the huge plays Zenner got today.

344Johnson
November 30th, 2014, 12:30 AM
Should be mildly interesting.

NDSU-31
SDSU-20

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 30th, 2014, 05:24 AM
I see this game being similar to the first. I don't see the Bison giving up the huge plays Zenner got today.

This here.

ZZ will probably grind out something like 70-90 yards, maybe a lot less, but Sumner will be throwing it 30+ times this coming Saturday. The Bison defense needs to bring their A game and I have no reason to doubt they wont.

SDSU has to be turnover free to have a chance. But I'm sure they are going to rely on their very good WR corps in this game.

Stack the box and make Wentz beat them will be what SDSU tries to do. Hopefully, Polasek (OC) tells Carson to tuck and run if there is nothing there.

Green1
November 30th, 2014, 08:30 AM
These are two really solid teams with a strong familarity with each other. If all the Jacks offensive weapons (Sumner, Zenner, Schneider, Wieneke) & the O-line play great games, this is probably the best chance that the Jacks have of knocking off our powerful, successful rival. It's a shame that this game is so early, as these are both top 10 (MASSEY, GPI, Sagarin) teams, and should be seeded for a later (Semi?) type game.

The winner is likely to be playing in Frisco.

GO JACKS!

Totally agree. It seems a shame that because of our proximity to one another, NDSU and SDSU are always meeting each other so early in the playoffs. I wonder if SDSU was placed on the other side of the bracket, how far would their playoff runs would have gone in recent years? Regionalization sucks!

Professor Chaos
November 30th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Totally agree. It seems a shame that because of our proximity to one another, NDSU and SDSU are always meeting each other so early in the playoffs. I wonder if SDSU was placed on the other side of the bracket, how far would their playoff runs would have gone in recent years? Regionalization sucks!
They were on the opposite side of the bracket last year and lost in the round of 16 to the #3 seed Eastern Washington.

SDSU will have to beat NDSU sooner or later to get over the hump so I'd guess they're of the mentality that now is as good a time as any. Unless the FCS playoffs start making more money I think we'll see regionalized brackets like we always have. It's actually better now than it used to be with them seeding 8 teams (or a 3rd of the field). Prior to this they seeded 4 teams in the 16 team fields or 5 in the 20 team fields (a quarter of the field) meaning that all other matchups were primarily dictated by geography.

CappinHard
November 30th, 2014, 09:30 AM
I decided to sleep on it before I posted, and I had nightmares of Wentz getting loose multiple times for key 3rd and 4th down conversions. I think this will be the key to the game. Make Wentz beat us with his arm. Between what Jensen used to do to the Jacks and what Wentz did this year, I think it is the single most important part of the game. It is so demoralizing watching a qb easily scamper for a 1st down. If SDSU can limit that, there's a chance... (like 1 in a hundred? more like... 1 in a million. So..... You're telling me there's a chance..... YEAH!!!)

CappinHard
November 30th, 2014, 09:31 AM
Also, I meant to ask about tickets. How difficult will it be to get a ticket to this game? I reeealy want to head up to Fargo next weekend.

caribbeanhen
November 30th, 2014, 09:32 AM
I've got a great feeling about this rematch!!! Bring on the bison.

Jacked Rabbit, I've do declare that your sig line looks like something out of Brokeback cowboy! Not that I've seen the movie or anything now.....

NoDak 4 Ever
November 30th, 2014, 09:44 AM
Also, I meant to ask about tickets. How difficult will it be to get a ticket to this game? I reeealy want to head up to Fargo next weekend.

Go get them NOW. https://tkt.xosn.com/tickets/TicketHome.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=2400&_MODE_=PERFORMERCATEGORY&SALE_TKT_PERFORMER_ID=20&SALE_TKT_SALE_CATEGORIES_ID=68635

Theee Catrabbit
November 30th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Jacks win by 3. Sumner isn't a statue for this one, and there won't be any of those stupid turnovers when the game hung in the balance like last time. Weineke and Schneider are going to cause the DB's heads to fall off from swivellling so much. My only hope for Zenner is that he gets 111 yards and that rushing record he deserves.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 30th, 2014, 11:00 AM
Jacks win by 3. Sumner isn't a statue for this one, and there won't be any of those stupid turnovers when the game hung in the balance like last time. Weineke and Schneider are going to cause the DB's heads to fall off from swivellling so much. My only hope for Zenner is that he gets 111 yards and that rushing record he deserves.

Here's my prediction. None of that is going to happen.

Thumper 76
November 30th, 2014, 11:06 AM
I'm pretty pumped for this game. It'll be pretty epic to be the team that knocked ndsu out of the playoffs. :D

KPSUL
November 30th, 2014, 11:18 AM
My bold prediction? Only three MVFC remain in the the playoffs after Saturday.

Thumper 76
November 30th, 2014, 11:51 AM

2002jack
November 30th, 2014, 12:04 PM
The Jacks defense isn't good, Bison win 34-24.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

November 30th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Have to give SDSU credit. The did a good job of Kitty licking, but... that was in a snow storm. Defense is always handicaped in those conditions as they are reacting to the offense. The offense knows what it is doing and where it is going. I have never "Herd" of a snow storm in a dome.........

X-Factor
November 30th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Bison don't punt until late mop up duty in the 4th quarter.....48-17 as the Jacks have no answer for Crocket and Wentz

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 30th, 2014, 08:21 PM
Bison don't punt until late mop up duty in the 4th quarter.....48-17 as the Jacks have no answer for Crocket and Wentz

I hope this is the score but doubt it.

The Bison pass defense needs to be ready because Sumner will probably throw it 30+ times.

FargoBison
November 30th, 2014, 08:25 PM

I will go bolder...I predict at least two MVFC teams will lose on Saturday.

Jacked_Rabbit
November 30th, 2014, 08:27 PM
Any guesses on what the line is going to be on this game when it's initially released? I'll say NDSU -10.5...

mmiller_34
November 30th, 2014, 09:10 PM
The game will be the exact same as the last 5 NDSU/SDSU games. Close, then at some point NDSU pulls away and makes it look not close.

F'N Hawks
November 30th, 2014, 09:12 PM
Any guesses on what the line is going to be on this game when it's initially released? I'll say NDSU -10.5...

It was -20 when they played earlier. I would say it will be -17 this time around.

CappinHard
November 30th, 2014, 09:28 PM
I will go with -13.5

CappinHard
November 30th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Any other SDSU season ticket holders on here? Any idea how and when the 500 tix will be available for purchase?

Nevermind. Limited number of tickets go on sale to season ticket holders @ 9 a.m. on Tuesday. Limit 4 per account. Anyone need a couple? I only need 2.

TheKingpin28
December 1st, 2014, 04:24 AM
The match-up I am most interested in is to see how DeLuca responds. Reminds me too much of last year when Grant went down. Well just glad that we have another chance and hopefully Sumner is kept in check. I'm just afraid that the pass defense is going to be hurting but knowing the Bison, they will find a way to win when it counts. 34-17 Bison

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 1st, 2014, 06:06 AM
The match-up I am most interested in is to see how DeLuca responds. Reminds me too much of last year when Grant went down. Well just glad that we have another chance and hopefully Sumner is kept in check. I'm just afraid that the pass defense is going to be hurting but knowing the Bison, they will find a way to win when it counts. 34-17 Bison

In his 2 starts he has responded pretty well. INTs in each game and has stopped the run.

I'm interested to see if SDSU will give their LT some help against Emanuel.

Professor Chaos
December 1st, 2014, 07:25 AM
I'm not as worried about the pass defense as much as some Bison fans are I guess. The Bison are #1 in the country in pass efficiency defense. A part of that was Travis Beck but I think a bigger part of that is the best pair of Safeties in the FCS in my opinion. If SDSU lets Sumner sit back and sling it 30+ times I think they'll be in trouble because I don't think they'll be able to protect Sumner from the Bison pass rush and I think he'll throw an INT or two which is a recipe for disaster against NDSU in the Fargodome.

If SDSU is going to pull this out they need to ride Zenner hard and hope he has more success against the Bison than he has in the past. In the game NDSU lost against UNI the Panthers ran for 200+ yards and in the game they nearly lost to WIU the Necks ran for 250+. Both of those teams had less than 100 yards passing. I don't think Sumner is going to be the key at all, I think it's going to be how well the SDSU O-line can assert their will running the ball.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 1st, 2014, 11:12 AM
Holy cow, this is almost falling to the 2nd page. Is it that boring a matchup?

Grizalltheway
December 1st, 2014, 12:08 PM
Yes.

AmsterBison
December 1st, 2014, 12:10 PM
Yes.

That's a reason that I hate rematches in the playoffs this early.

Grizalltheway
December 1st, 2014, 12:12 PM
That's a reason that I hate rematches in the playoffs this early.

Same. I'm glad we get another shot at Eastern, but I'd prefer it to be in the quarters or later.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 1st, 2014, 12:16 PM
Holy cow, this is almost falling to the 2nd page. Is it that boring a matchup?

I agree not this early but it will still be a great game to be at.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 1st, 2014, 12:23 PM
I agree not this early but it will still be a great game to be at.

I think I'm going to the watch party in KC. I don't know if my family can handle me at home, especially in the first half.

steelbison
December 1st, 2014, 12:45 PM
The game will be the exact same as the last 5 NDSU/SDSU games. Close, then at some point NDSU pulls away and makes it look not close.

I think you are right. One big difference is we have been starting fast since the UNI lose. Seemed to light a fire under the offense. So it won't be 10-6 at half. More like 20-10 Bison Then we wear you out again in the second half and pull away.

Your QB will be picked a few times as he will have to throw it 30 plus times. Zenner won't get the yardage he had last time. Defense and team are well rested and will be at a higher level than the last match up.

I actually feel sorry for the Rabbits. It has to suck knowing this is as far as you are going to go in the playoffs every year...

CappinHard
December 1st, 2014, 01:25 PM
I think you are right. One big difference is we have been starting fast since the UNI lose. Seemed to light a fire under the offense. So it won't be 10-6 at half. More like 20-10 Bison Then we wear you out again in the second half and pull away.

Your QB will be picked a few times as he will have to throw it 30 plus times. Zenner won't get the yardage he had last time. Defense and team are well rested and will be at a higher level than the last match up.

I actually feel sorry for the Rabbits. It has to suck knowing this is as far as you are going to go in the playoffs every year...

Man, it's going to feel great checking this thread as I'm driving home after the game on Saturday. I hope some of you learned how to be humble after your loss to UNI, because you'll need that practice after SDSU stuns you in your own house. Trust me, I will be congratulating you and wishing you luck if you win, but I think it's going to be pretty difficult for some of the Bison contingent on here when you get knocked out of the playoffs this Saturday.

bisonboone11
December 1st, 2014, 01:31 PM

I like your optimism, but what are you basing that on? NDSU was down 3-0 against Missouri State at the end of the 1st quarter the week after the UNI game. They turned it up in the 2nd quarter, but I wouldn't really call that starting fast. It was a faster start against YSU, but that is 1 game out of the 2 since the UNI game. I don't know if that really indicates a trend.

Bison56
December 1st, 2014, 01:39 PM
Man, it's going to feel great checking this thread as I'm driving home after the game on Saturday. I hope some of you learned how to be humble after your loss to UNI, because you'll need that practice after SDSU stuns you in your own house. Trust me, I will be congratulating you and wishing you luck if you win, but I think it's going to be pretty difficult for some of the Bison contingent on here when you get knocked out of the playoffs this Saturday.

I think you should wait until you get home that sounds dangerous. I only say this because I care.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 1st, 2014, 01:45 PM

On what are you basing this besides blind hope?

Kemo
December 1st, 2014, 01:54 PM
Jacks D needs to get off the field on 3rd and 4th down. In the first game, the Bison wore us out in the 2nd half because they kept converting these downs and it eventually took its toll.

Professor Chaos
December 1st, 2014, 01:58 PM

I suppose they're due???? xconfusedx

CappinHard
December 1st, 2014, 02:09 PM

1. Sumner was immobile and rusty when we played earlier. He is playing the best games of his career right now.

2. SDSU's offense is firing on all cylinders.

3. Beck is out. Might not be a huge factor, but it's a factor.

4. This will be Wentz's first playoff game. I feel like this is has been highly overlooked to this point. SDSU will likely commit to stopping the run and make Wentz beat them. You can't tell me that he won't have some first playoff game jitters with the weight of NDSU's high expectations looming.

5. A counter-point to #4, SDSU's key players have playoff experience. Sumner, Zenner, and Schneider have all been here before. I know NDSU has plenty of guys who have been here before too, but with the QB having no experience, it is at least something to consider.

6. It's inevitable... the streak has to end sometime, right? xnodx

NoDak 4 Ever
December 1st, 2014, 02:15 PM
1. Sumner was immobile and rusty when we played earlier. He is playing the best games of his career right now.

4. This will be Wentz's first playoff game. I feel like this is has been highly overlooked to this point. SDSU will likely commit to stopping the run and make Wentz beat them. You can't tell me that he won't have some first playoff game jitters with the weight of NDSU's high expectations looming.

5. A counter-point to #4, SDSU's key players have playoff experience. Sumner, Zenner, and Schneider have all been here before. I know NDSU has plenty of guys who have been here before too, but with the QB having no experience, it is at least something to consider.

Sumner has played in plenty of games at 100% That doesn't mean much.

When you are as deep as NDSU is, next man up really means something. Nick DeLuca, despite one start, has half as many tackles and twice as many interceptions as Travis Beck. Think Grant Olson and Carlton Littlejohn last year.

No, the streak doesn't have to end.

CappinHard
December 1st, 2014, 02:18 PM
Sumner has played in plenty of games at 100% That doesn't mean much.

When you are as deep as NDSU is, next man up really means something. Nick DeLuca, despite one start, has half as many tackles and twice as many interceptions as Travis Beck. Think Grant Olson and Carlton Littlejohn last year.

No, the streak doesn't have to end.

You didn't address #4... thoughts?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 1st, 2014, 02:19 PM
You didn't address #4... thoughts?

Carson Wentz has been in plenty of big games. Remember, it won't be the crowd yelling at him at deafening levels. The game at Iowa State was all I needed to see from him to know that he's big time.

FargoBison
December 1st, 2014, 02:20 PM

Well Wentz looked pretty good in his first college start against a Big 12 team and is 11-1 as a starter. I think he will be just fine.

If we run for 290 yards again though, it isn't like he needs to put the offense on his shoulders.

NDSUSR
December 1st, 2014, 02:20 PM

The same thing that was said before UNI. I think NDSU fans have proven they are gracious in defeat.
We just are not as used to losing as SDSU fans are.

Professor Chaos
December 1st, 2014, 02:22 PM

I think the reason why Wentz's experience isn't coming into question is because he's a redshirt junior meaning that he's been a part of the team for all three championship runs including the #2 QB for the last two. It's a different beast starting but any backup QB worth his salt prepares for every game as if he's going to play the whole game. This means that although he's in his first year starting he knows exactly what he's going into.

I think if SDSU's staff has fallen in love with Sumner's air attack to Schneider and Weineke like of lot SDSU fans have it'll play right into NDSU's hands. IMO SDSU needs Zenner to carry them to victory. If Sumner throws the ball as many times as he's been averaging over these last 4 games (32 attempts per game) I feel very confident that he's going to get knocked around and turned over by NDSU's pass rush and the #1 pass efficiency defense in the nation.

FargoBison
December 1st, 2014, 02:28 PM
To me this game is all on SDSU's OL and DL. They didn't play well last time, getting so tired of hearing about Sumner's lack of mobility. He biggest issue was a lack of blocking by his OL in the first game. Emanuel was doing whatever he wanted.

dewey
December 1st, 2014, 02:39 PM
To me this game is all on SDSU's OL and DL. They didn't play well last time, getting so tired of hearing about Sumner's lack of mobility. He biggest issue was a lack of blocking by his OL in the first game. Emanuel was doing whatever he wanted.

This^^^^ The SDSU LT was getting beaten like a government mule that first game by Kyle Emanuel and that isn't going to change. If SDSU keeps more blockers in to help the LT with KE than it is simply more guys in coverage for NDSU. Last time SDSU couldn't stop the NDSU running game as the Bison ran for 290 yards. With 152 from Crockett and Wentz ran for 100 yards. I completely expect this game to be close in the first half and then in the third quarter NDSU will start to pull away. It has been almost the same recipe for the last 4 years.

My prediction is NDSU 34 & SDSU 24

If SDSU does end the streak I will come on here and congratulate SDSU on the win.

Dewey

Professor Chaos
December 1st, 2014, 02:39 PM
I will say that, regardless who wins this game, I'll be rooting for that team to go all the way.

CappinHard
December 1st, 2014, 02:54 PM
Well Wentz looked pretty good in his first college start against a Big 12 team and is 11-1 as a starter. I think he will be just fine.

If we run for 290 yards again though, it isn't like he needs to put the offense on his shoulders.

He did look good against a Big 12 team... and I'm sure you decided to reference the Big 12 rather than the name of that team because they are the worst team in that conference this year, by far, going 2-9 and 0-8 in conference play. That's like a DII school beating USD and saying "yup, our QB sure looked good against a MVFC team". It's not as big of a compliment as you want it to be.

I agree with you in the fact that if NDSU runs for 290 yards, he won't have to do much, but I am basing my argument on the fact that I believe SDSU will commit to limiting the run and make Wentz beat them.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 1st, 2014, 02:56 PM
He did look good against a Big 12 team... and I'm sure you decided to reference the Big 12 rather than the name of that team because they are the worst team in that conference this year, by far, going 2-9 and 0-8 in conference play. That's like a DII school beating USD and saying "yup, our QB sure looked good against a MVFC team". It's not as big of a compliment as you want it to be.

I agree with you in the fact that if NDSU runs for 290 yards, he won't have to do much, but I am basing my argument on the fact that I believe SDSU will commit to limiting the run and make Wentz beat them.

I'm perfectly comfortable with that.

Professor Chaos
December 1st, 2014, 03:03 PM
I am basing my argument on the fact that I believe SDSU will commit to limiting the run and make Wentz beat them.
The hole in that argument is this hasn't been a secret strategy to stop the Bison. Every team has had that same mentality this year yet there's only one been one team to hold the Bison under 149 rushing yards on the year and that's UNI. The blueprint on how to beat the Bison is there it's just having the personnel and the execution to do it defensively is easier said than done. I don't think SDSU has the personnel defensively to do it so their best bet is to control the ball offensively and keep their defense and NDSU's offense off the field.

Bisonator
December 1st, 2014, 03:19 PM

1. That maybe true but he has not done much against NDSU previously.

2. Again that's happened before until you play NDSU.

3. It's a factor but we've been here before.....next man up. DeLuca has plenty of experience now and has played very well.

4. This is his first start but he has played in previous PO games. He had a key play in one of the GSU games I believe.

5. Your guys have experience losing. Our guys have experience winning. That gets in your head at critical times.

6. No.....at least not yet.

FargoBison
December 1st, 2014, 04:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzz3l9Lff58&feature=youtu.be&a

NDSUSR
December 1st, 2014, 04:04 PM
He did look good against a Big 12 team... and I'm sure you decided to reference the Big 12 rather than the name of that team because they are the worst team in that conference this year, by far, going 2-9 and 0-8 in conference play..

I hate to tell you that the Cyclones would still kick a mudhole in the Jacks, even though they do suck.

CappinHard
December 1st, 2014, 05:17 PM
FYI, 5dimes has spoken. SDSU +15.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 1st, 2014, 05:24 PM

That seems to be about right.

PantherRob82
December 1st, 2014, 05:25 PM

At +15 I'd have to go with SDSU.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 1st, 2014, 05:32 PM
At +15 I'd have to go with SDSU.

I'd take that bet. in 2012 the score was 20-17 in the regular season and 28-3 in the playoffs. There's another level that happens during the playoffs.

PantherRob82
December 1st, 2014, 05:34 PM
I'd take that bet. in 2012 the score was 20-17 in the regular season and 28-3 in the playoffs. There's another level that happens during the playoffs.

I agree that it's possible the Bison win by more than 15. But if I had to bet one way or the other....

Luckily I don't. :)

NoDak 4 Ever
December 1st, 2014, 06:01 PM
I agree that it's possible the Bison win by more than 15. But if I had to bet one way or the other....

Historically in the FCS era, NDSU's margin of victory in the Fargodome is 22.8 ppg. I'd take any line of 2 TD's or less.

JimmyJack
December 1st, 2014, 06:19 PM

Bingo.

NDSUSR
December 1st, 2014, 06:27 PM

How about a 1 year avatar bet? Im up for that.

Ivytalk
December 1st, 2014, 06:51 PM
NDSU marches on. Frackers over credit card banks by two scores.

X-Factor
December 1st, 2014, 07:50 PM
And the Jacks were so confident going into that game, too, being that they only lost by 3 and thought they had a chance in a playoff matchup. The same is true of that over confidence in the Jacks for this matchup and the same will hold true for the end result. The Bison simply know how to put teams away in the playoffs. The only line we need to know about is 4. More than 4 sacks by Kyle Emanuel, not including the rest of the defensive players.

PantherRob82
December 1st, 2014, 07:52 PM
How about a 1 year avatar bet? Im up for that.

Haha. No way. That would be worse than losing money. xlolx

JSUBison
December 1st, 2014, 08:14 PM
The hole in that argument is this hasn't been a secret strategy to stop the Bison. Every team has had that same mentality this year yet there's only one been one team to hold the Bison under 149 rushing yards on the year and that's UNI. The blueprint on how to beat the Bison is there it's just having the personnel and the execution to do it defensively is easier said than done. I don't think SDSU has the personnel defensively to do it so their best bet is to control the ball offensively and keep their defense and NDSU's offense off the field.

Stig will still have his defense line up 3 yards off the ball, blueprint be damned!

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 1st, 2014, 09:00 PM
Stig was on the radio today and there is a reason I like this guy. He is one of the good ones.

He was asked how to beat the Bison and he said they need to run the ball. If SDSU can get ZZ going and Sumner passing off of that, then they have a very good chance of winning.

Jacked_Rabbit
December 1st, 2014, 09:01 PM
Not a single mention of Bohl? Over the past few years, I feel we've been greatly out-schemed in Dakota Marker games and simply out-coached at critical moments in close games. Well designed QB keepers, fake punts, trick plays, etc. at opportune times have completely turned nail-biters into blow-outs. Coaching plays a MUCH larger factor in the game of football than most other sports. It's a chess match playing out in real life, which is why it's the greatest sport on Earth. This isn't meant to be a knock on Stig or the SDSU staff, rather, a compliment to what NDSU has done in recent years. I played for Stig, love and respect him, but I think he'd even tell you that Bohl is an exceptional coach and played a major role in some of these recent Bison victories.

Thing is, Bohl is gone. He was pulling the trigger on those decisive - and often times risky - game changing and momentum creating plays. It'll be interesting to see if this Bison regime has any wrinkles in their game plan or tricks up their sleeve, because I know SDSU likely won't. That's just not who we are, for better or worse. In this series, certainly 'worse'.

I do think SDSU has a greater chance to win this game than any other match-up against NDSU since our 3 game win streak versus the Bison ended. Feel like forever ago... Which other team in the nation has had as much experience playing in the Fargo dome as SDSU? Answer: Nobody. Sure, it's relatively noisy, but that isn't as much if a factor as fans like to think it is. The truth of the matter is, the Fargo Dome does not intimidate SDSU like it does/will most other Bison opponents.

In order for the Jacks to win they need to do the following, in this order:

1a. Win the turnover battle - or at least tie. Lose TO margin & lose the game.

1b. Protect Sumner. If we can't do that, it's over. Can't convert 3rd down or avoid 3rd and longs if you can't give your QB time to throw.

2. Establish some sort of running game. Zenner's best game to date vs. NDSU was the previous match-up. Is that a positive sign for SDSU or just an anomaly? SDSU's chances of winning increase exponentially as Zenner's rushing yardage gets higher.

3. Stop the run. Whether it's by a RB or QB, if SDSU can't stop the run, it'll spell trouble for the Jacks.

Most of the above items ring true against any team, in any game, at any level of football, but they are even more critical when you are trying to knock the king off of his thrown in his own house. Can it be done? Certainly. Making it happen is a different story though...

It'll take a complete effort in all three phases of the game for the Jackrabbits to pull off the upset, and I honestly think this is time it finally happens.

Prediction: SDSU - 31. NDSU - 30. Jacks kick a 50 yard FG as time expires to win it.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 1st, 2014, 09:11 PM
Not a single mention of Bohl? Over the past few years, I feel we've been greatly out-schemed in Dakota Marker games and simply out-coached at critical moments in close games. Well designed QB keepers, fake pints, etc. at opportune times have completely turned nail-biters into blow-outs. Coaching plays a MUCH larger factor in the game of football than most other sports. It's a chess match playing out in real life, which is why it's the greatest sport on Earth. This isn't meant to be a knock on Stig or the SDSU staff, rather, a compliment to what NDSU has done in recent years. I played for Stig, love and respect him, but I think he'd even tell you that Bohl is an exceptional coach and played a major role in some of these recent Bison victories.

Thing is, Bohl is gone. He was pulling the trigger on those decisive - and often times risky - game changing and momentum creating plays. It'll be interesting to see if this Bison regime has any wrinkles in their game plan or tricks up their sleeve, because I know SDSU likely won't. That's just not who we are, for better or worse. In this series, certainly 'worse'.

I do think SDSU has a greater chance to win this game than any other match-up against NDSU since our 3 game win streak versus the Bison ended. Feel like forever ago... Which other team in the nation has had as much experience playing in the Fargo dome as SDSU? Answer: Nobody. Sure, it's relatively noisy, but that isn't as much if a factor as fans like to think it is. The truth of the matter is, the Fargo Dome does not intimidate SDSU like it does/will most other Bison opponents.

In order for the Jacks to win they need to do the following, in this order:

1a. Win the turnover battle - or at least tie. Lose TO margin & lose the game.

1b. Protect Sumner. If we can't do that, it's over. Can't convert 3rd down or avoid 3rd and longs if you can't give your QB time to throw.

2. Establish some sort of running game. Zenner's best game to date vs. NDSU was the previous match-up. Is that a positive sign for SDSU or just an anomaly? SDSU's chances of winning increase exponentially as Zenner's rushing yardage gets higher.

3. Stop the run. Whether it's by a RB or QB, if SDSU can't stop the run, it'll spell trouble for the Jacks.

Most of the above items ring true against any team, in any game, at any level of football, but they are even more critical when you are trying to knock the king off of his thrown in his own house. Can it be done? Certainly. Making it happen is a different story though...

It'll take a complete effort in all three phases of the game for the Jackrabbits to pull off the upset, and I honestly think this is time it finally happens.

Prediction: SDSU - 31. NDSU - 30. Jacks kick a 50 yard FG as time expires to win it.

I tend to agree with much of this but IMO the only way to beat the Bison is to "out-Bison" the Bison. UNI did that in their only loss this year. I don't think the Jacks have the personal to do that so they are going to have to make it some type of shoot-out and keep scoring. Easier said than done. I don't think this Bison defense is going to get 30+ points scored on it.

The noise will be a factor. Checks and audibles will be hard to hear.

Good match up of teams that really do know each other. IMO, the Bison are a better team but now they have to prove it again.

No_Skill
December 1st, 2014, 10:32 PM
When is the last time we gave up over 30 points? 2010?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 1st, 2014, 10:45 PM
When is the last time we gave up over 30 points? 2010?

Correct, the debacle in Cheney.

CappinHard
December 2nd, 2014, 01:27 AM
Bohl is gone.

This, along with Jensen being gone are the two biggest factors that people seem to be overlooking. Your run was impressive, but the two biggest factors in that run are now gone. Yes, you managed to go 11-1 this year again, creating the illusion that the dynasty continues. I think we can all agree that this year's Bison team is much less dominant than the previous 3 years. Let's see how the playoffs pan out without Bohl and Jensen before you go proclaiming a true dynasty. Honestly, coming away with a ring this year might be the biggest accomplishment of the past 4 years due to the turnover of key pieces. Regardless, I am absolutely pumped to see how it all plays out.

BisoNick
December 2nd, 2014, 02:27 AM
This, along with Jensen being gone are the two biggest factors that people seem to be overlooking. Your run was impressive, but the two biggest factors in that run are now gone. Yes, you managed to go 11-1 this year again, creating the illusion that the dynasty continues. I think we can all agree that this year's Bison team is much less dominant than the previous 3 years. Let's see how the playoffs pan out without Bohl and Jensen before you go proclaiming a true dynasty. Honestly, coming away with a ring this year might be the biggest accomplishment of the past 4 years due to the turnover of key pieces. Regardless, I am absolutely pumped to see how it all plays out.

Much less dominant than the last 3 years? I agree with last year and maybe 2012, but to say that this team is "much less dominant" than the last three years is a stretch. How is it an "illusion" that NDSU was dominant? They proved that they have an amazing team by going 11 and 1, taking the conference championship (albeit, a share), and getting home field through the playoffs. Everyone thinks that because we lost so many pieces that we would suffer. Right now, they have proven the nay sayers wrong and will try their damnedest to keep proving them wrong until they reach their ultimate goal. These seniors have played just as important roles as the seniors of the last few years. That's how it is every year.

mgbison
December 2nd, 2014, 04:44 AM
I don't know how this team is less dominant. Then only games that were close at the end were UNI (loss), WIU, and maybe Weber State. Every other win was lopsided and most were double digit wins.

Zenner will be a non factor, and Sumner will have to win the game with his arm. I like the matchup of our defense vs Sumner. Long story short, the team with the better defense is gonna win this game. I feel confident saying SDSU won't score more than 20 points.

IBleedYellow
December 2nd, 2014, 06:32 AM

You're staring at an illusion. There is a post on Bisonville which posted the year by year stats for the teams comparing 2011-2014 teams. The stats have barely fluctuated, and have been even better in the 2014 season than other years.

Keep dreaming that NDSU is down. Until the Rabbits win, there isn't any argument as to why all of the other results that happened the past 4 years won't repeat themselves this Saturday. Things I plan on seeing happen.

1. Stig won't change his gameplan since the first game earlier this season, which NDSU will be able to capitalize upon
2. Zenner will be stuffed on yards, barely eclipsing the 80 yard mark (AKA: No 2000 yard season for ZZ)
3. SDSU will attempt to make Wentz beat them with the pass - which he will - which will then open up the run game and NDSU will gash them there, too
4. NDSU will rush for more than 225 yards.
5. Sumner will be on his back or hurried more than 10 times in the game, Kyle Emmanuel with 2.5 sacks+
6. NDSU offensive line will once again open the game up in the beginning of the third quarter and run away with it
7. Bunnies go home sad, fans like you disappear from the message boards.

If none of those happen, well ****, good game SDSU, you finally won one.

NDSUstudent
December 2nd, 2014, 07:29 AM
You're staring at an illusion. There is a post on Bisonville which posted the year by year stats for the teams comparing 2011-2014 teams. The stats have barely fluctuated, and have been even better in the 2014 season than other years.

Keep dreaming that NDSU is down. Until the Rabbits win, there isn't any argument as to why all of the other results that happened the past 4 years won't repeat themselves this Saturday. Things I plan on seeing happen.

1. Stig won't change his gameplan since the first game earlier this season, which NDSU will be able to capitalize upon
2. Zenner will be stuffed on yards, barely eclipsing the 80 yard mark (AKA: No 2000 yard season for ZZ)
3. SDSU will attempt to make Wentz beat them with the pass - which he will - which will then open up the run game and NDSU will gash them there, too
5. Sumner will be on his back or hurried more than 10 times in the game, Kyle Emmanuel with 2.5 sacks+
6. NDSU offensive line will once again open the game up in the beginning of the third quarter and run away with it

xbowx

Gil Dobie
December 2nd, 2014, 07:32 AM

Like the saying goes, "it's harder to stay on top then it is to get there". If SDSU can copy what UNI did or add some new wrinkles, then they could win. If they are stubborn and play their old SDSU way, then the Bison win.

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2014, 07:58 AM
I think we can all agree that this year's Bison team is much less dominant than the previous 3 years.I think you'll find (and have already found) a lot of disagreement on that one. Here's a statistical breakdown I put together comparing the regular season Bison teams from 2011-2014.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah120/tplesuk111/BisonStats_zps9dff5383.jpg

A couple things I'll point out that would surprise even Bison fans who've watched the team this year:
1) Yards per pass attempt is right on par with 2013 which was a prolific offense.
2) Passing defense (completion %, yards per attempt, and passing TDs allowed) is better than it's ever been so far during this run.

Now a couple things that are of a slight concern that most Bison fans who've watched the team all year can identify with:
1) Penalties are up a full penalty per game and 10 penalty yards per game over previous years.
2) 3rd down % and red zone TD % are down compared to last year (although last year's offense was a juggernaut).
3) Rush yards allowed and average per rush attempt are up from the last couple years which goes along with my assertion that SDSU needs to run the ball effectively to have any decent chance in this one.

Conclusion: The more things have changed the more they've stayed the same. This year's team has to do it in the playoffs now like the other three teams have but I think these numbers are a positive indication that they're more than capable of doing that.

Gil Dobie
December 2nd, 2014, 08:13 AM
Now a couple things that are of a slight concern that most Bison fans who've watched the team all year can identify with:
1) Penalties are up a full penalty per game and 10 penalty yards per game over previous years.
2) 3rd down % and red zone TD % are down compared to last year (although last year's offense was a juggernaut).
3) Rush yards allowed and average per rush attempt are up from the last couple years which goes along with my assertion that SDSU needs to run the ball effectively to have any decent chance in this one.

Penalties are glaring in big games, like the UNI game with 12 penalties. Too many 3rd and short turned into 3rd and long against UNI. Bison need to get that discipline back and keep the penalty count down in big games.

IBleedYellow
December 2nd, 2014, 08:13 AM
Way to post that PC, I literally was about to put that here from BV.

Another thing to take into consideration. NDSU is 17-1 when coming off of bye weeks in the FCS. Proof (http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?p=952053)

CappinHard
December 2nd, 2014, 01:25 PM
I think you'll find (and have already found) a lot of disagreement on that one. Here's a statistical breakdown I put together comparing the regular season Bison teams from 2011-2014.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah120/tplesuk111/BisonStats_zps9dff5383.jpg

A couple things I'll point out that would surprise even Bison fans who've watched the team this year:
1) Yards per pass attempt is right on par with 2013 which was a prolific offense.
2) Passing defense (completion %, yards per attempt, and passing TDs allowed) is better than it's ever been so far during this run.

Conclusion: The more things have changed the more they've stayed the same. This year's team has to do it in the playoffs now like the other three teams have but I think these numbers are a positive indication that they're more than capable of doing that.

Thanks for posting this. Did you put this together on your own? Or is there a stats website that I need to know about? It is impressive to see the statistical similarities in this year's team compared to the previous 3 years, it definitely surprised me. From a standpoint outside of the statistics, doesn't it feel like this year's team hasn't been in control of games as much as the three previous years? To me, it seems like there was no question about almost all of the wins in the Bohl/Jensen era. Whereas this year there were some games (WIU and SDSU come to mind) where you weren't sure until the 4th quarter. Maybe I am just blinded by my hope that the Jacks have a good chance to win this one. :P

IBleedYellow
December 2nd, 2014, 01:29 PM
People love to forget about the amazing comebacks that Brock Jensen had to surmount to even get NDSU able to win National Titles. 2012 Georgia Southern or 2013 UNI game instantly spring to my mind.

I really think it's your blind hope, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Also, valley-football.org has great stats for all the years our schools have been in the Valley.

UNIFanSince1983
December 2nd, 2014, 01:36 PM

Has there been a game where Wentz has had to win it for you?

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2014, 01:40 PM
Thanks for posting this. Did you put this together on your own? Or is there a stats website that I need to know about? It is impressive to see the statistical similarities in this year's team compared to the previous 3 years, it definitely surprised me. From a standpoint outside of the statistics, doesn't it feel like this year's team hasn't been in control of games as much as the three previous years? To me, it seems like there was no question about almost all of the wins in the Bohl/Jensen era. Whereas this year there were some games (WIU and SDSU come to mind) where you weren't sure until the 4th quarter. Maybe I am just blinded by my hope that the Jacks have a good chance to win this one. :P
I put it together on my own pulling most of the data from ESPN's box scores but some from the stats on GoBison.com. It would be easy to just look at the total season stats from previous seasons at that stats link at GoBison.com (http://gobison.com/sports/2013/6/5/fbstats.aspx?tab=statistics2&path=football) but I really wanted to compare the numbers from each of those previous teams going into the playoffs rather than including the playoffs so I put it together on my own.

I think there's been a sentiment among Bison fans as well that this year's team isn't what the last few teams have been but I think that's common for any team in this scenario. When you have had the success that the Bison have had in previous seasons most fans just think of those teams as unstoppable but they had their hiccups too. That 2012 team had 3 consecutive games late in the regular season decided by 6 points or less. The 2013 team trailed late in the 4th quarter in 2 of their first 5 games (although one was against Kansas St). I think if you take a step back and look at the big picture this year's NDSU team has had little if any drop off from previous years all things considered.

IBleedYellow
December 2nd, 2014, 01:55 PM

Every game that we've played this year the recipe everyone has attempted to use to beat us was simple. Stop the run. Carson beat people enough in the first half where the defense changed and didn't stack the box as much and then NDSU went back to bread and butter rushing attack.

UNI has been the only team to actually do it an entire game and have success.

FargoBison
December 2nd, 2014, 02:04 PM

Well in 2012 we lost to Indiana State, needed to stop Missouri State deep in our own territory to beat them and barely got by you guys. Same team barely got by Wofford and GSU as well in the playoffs.

I've always compared this team to that team, really good defense with an offense that is kind of inconsistent.

JimmyJack
December 2nd, 2014, 02:06 PM

I don't know if Wentz HAD to win the SDSU game, but I think he did, with his feet. He rushed for 103 yards and they were timely runs, seems like a bunch on 3rd downs. Those are daggers for a defense. I think SDSU can survive a 150-yard game from Crockett. I don't think the Jacks can win when Wentz is making plays with his feet like that. It was really hard to watch.

I also think the posters here are right that SDSU is going to have to change things up on offense. I think it is clear, though, that Sumner is definitely a lot sharper and more mobile at this point than he was in the last NDSU game (his first back... probably a week too soon).

NDSU should be a huge favorite in this one. They're the champs. They've handled SDSU again and again in the Dome. But you never know what will happen with turnovers or whether a player like Wieneke or Zenner or Sumner just takes over. In the past, it has been an NDSU player that has just taken the game over. Maybe this time it will be a Jackrabbit. We'll see soon enough.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 2nd, 2014, 02:08 PM
****ING **** **** WHY IS IT ONLY TUESDAY!!?!?!?!!?

Thumper 76
December 2nd, 2014, 02:16 PM
****ING **** **** WHY IS IT ONLY TUESDAY!!?!?!?!!?

This. Think I'm going to need to take some adhd meds or I'm going to have my head explode. I think us SDSU fans want this win so bad cause it would be a shame for this years seniors to lose every game vs the bison and to have them only make it to the second round again.

IBleedYellow
December 2nd, 2014, 02:18 PM
I'm sitting in class and we're off on a tangent talking football. This is the life.

Theee Catrabbit
December 2nd, 2014, 02:21 PM
I think us SDSU fans want this win so bad cause

We want a National Championship. Pretty straight forward. I dont care if it's the Bizzzzon in the way or the Bay City Rollers. We want a ****ing championship or we'll have to wait for Z2 and Christiansen to take us to the promised land!

Jacked_Rabbit
December 2nd, 2014, 02:36 PM
I'm sitting in class and we're off on a tangent talking football. This is the life.
Anyone nervous?!? Or is everyone just arguing about how many TD's you'll win by?

IBleedYellow
December 2nd, 2014, 02:38 PM
We want a National Championship. Pretty straight forward. I dont care if it's the Bizzzzon in the way or the Bay City Rollers. We want a ****ing championship or we'll have to wait for Z2 and Christiansen to take us to the promised land!

I want to see SDSU win a Championship, I really do. But not yet. Let NDSU get the quad, first.

IBleedYellow
December 2nd, 2014, 02:39 PM
Anyone nervous?!? Or is everyone just arguing about how many TD's you'll win by?

I'm arguing how if NDSU comes out and performs how they are capable on all three sides of the ball we should look okay, but it could very well be a close game that is won by SDSU and very few people are agreeing with me minus the teacher.

It'll be a whale of a game.

FargoBison
December 2nd, 2014, 02:46 PM
I want to see SDSU win a Championship, I really do. But not yet. Let NDSU get the quad, first.

Quad? I think we are talking about more than that....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhmokVRdom8

IBleedYellow
December 2nd, 2014, 02:49 PM
Quad? I think we are talking about more than that....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhmokVRdom8

If we go that far, we might aswell own an entire decade. Can you imagine? Oof!

UNIFanSince1983
December 2nd, 2014, 02:52 PM
Every game that we've played this year the recipe everyone has attempted to use to beat us was simple. Stop the run. Carson beat people enough in the first half where the defense changed and didn't stack the box as much and then NDSU went back to bread and butter rushing attack.

UNI has been the only team to actually do it an entire game and have success.

Okay I was legitimately curious. He doesn't have standout stats in any of the games, and you guys only have been under 200 yards rushing 3 times this year. What I didn't look up was a quarter by quarter breakdown of the stats in those games. It is tough to look at the stats and just say well they always rush for a ton of yards so he doesn't really win games for them.

IBleedYellow
December 2nd, 2014, 02:58 PM
Okay I was legitimately curious. He doesn't have standout stats in any of the games, and you guys only have been under 200 yards rushing 3 times this year. What I didn't look up was a quarter by quarter breakdown of the stats in those games. It is tough to look at the stats and just say well they always rush for a ton of yards so he doesn't really win games for them.

NDSU games thus far this year.
1st Quarter: NDSU comes out slinging the ball because the opponent stacks the box, killing drives and not finishing with TDs.
2nd Quarter: Wentz starts hitting those receivers and gets a touchdown or two. Box starts having less than 8 in it.
3rd Quarter: NDSU goes back to the West Coast offense with power isolation running. Rush yards and touchdowns add up quick.
4th Quarter: Same as 3rd quarter except the runs that were 1-3 yards are now 3-8 yards or more.

UNI beat NDSU by surviving the first 3.5 quarters, and OUT NDSU'd NDSU in the last half of the third quarter and the fourth quarter. Also, Wentz missed about 4 open receivers that would have went for touchdowns or put the ball inside the 10 - 20 yard line in the 2nd quarter.

UNIFanSince1983
December 2nd, 2014, 03:01 PM
NDSU games thus far this year.
1st Quarter: NDSU comes out slinging the ball because the opponent stacks the box, killing drives and not finishing with TDs.
2nd Quarter: Wentz starts hitting those receivers and gets a touchdown or two. Box starts having less than 8 in it.
3rd Quarter: NDSU goes back to the West Coast offense with power isolation running. Rush yards and touchdowns add up quick.
4th Quarter: Same as 3rd quarter except the runs that were 1-3 yards are now 3-8 yards or more.

UNI beat NDSU by surviving the first 3.5 quarters, and OUT NDSU'd NDSU in the last half of the third quarter and the fourth quarter.

Yeah the only NDSU game I saw in it's entirety was the UNI vs NDSU game. In that game Wentz was needed to win the game and missed receivers, and the team committed penalties. I had just assumed that most games he wasn't asked to throw much because you guys just run teams over.

Thank you for that synopsis.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 2nd, 2014, 03:02 PM
https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/1511913_10100601217297849_5600377046146131019_n.jp g?oh=0099c47456bc651b5a2b1ce91354bf0d&oe=5500ADE8

Kirk called it in September

IBleedYellow
December 2nd, 2014, 03:04 PM
You can credit UNI's defense for probably having a huge effect on Carson that day in Cedar Falls, hopefully he learned from it and takes it to heart.

FargoBison
December 2nd, 2014, 03:07 PM
Carson also turned his ankle in the last SDSU game, that was an issue at UNI.

He is back to 100% now but he couldn't really run that game.

IBleedYellow
December 2nd, 2014, 03:08 PM

I've heard this rumor multiple times and haven't ever had it confirmed to me by someone on the coaching staff. Can you post a link? Not that I don't believe you, but if we can have an excuse for the UNI game, I'm all for it. :D

NoDak 4 Ever
December 2nd, 2014, 03:13 PM
I've heard this rumor multiple times and haven't ever had it confirmed to me by someone on the coaching staff. Can you post a link? Not that I don't believe you, but if we can have an excuse for the UNI game, I'm all for it. :D

There have been several allusions to it in Coach K's weekly press conferences. He's mentioned it a couple of times.

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2014, 03:17 PM

Meh, I don't really buy that. If he was healthy enough to play he was healthy enough to contribute. He wasn't on the field when UNI went for 200+ yards rushing a 5 yards a pop. He also wasn't blocking for John Crockett who was getting no room to run that game.

FargoBison
December 2nd, 2014, 03:18 PM

Well I can confirm that I did see him roll his ankle from my seat in the south endzone late in that game. He limped to sideline, I think Coach K said he was limited in practice that week in one of his pressers.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 2nd, 2014, 03:18 PM
Meh, I don't really buy that. If he was healthy enough to play he was healthy enough to contribute. He wasn't on the field when UNI went for 200+ yards rushing a 5 yards a pop. He also wasn't blocking for John Crockett who was getting no room to run that game.

He might have covered that 3 yard sneak that wasn't attempted in the first quarter.

FargoBison
December 2nd, 2014, 03:20 PM

Well if Wentz can't run that whole read option type of play we like to run becomes meaningless. Still don't think we win that game but it would have been tighter.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 2nd, 2014, 03:25 PM
Well if Wentz can't run that whole read option type of play we like to run becomes meaningless. Still don't think we win that game but it would have been tighter.

Lots of things could have gone differently. Look at the stats:

SDSU 100 yds rushing

UNI 1 yd rushing

Mo State 12 yds rushing

YSU 120 yds rushing

It's like there's actually a plausible story.

UNIFanSince1983
December 2nd, 2014, 03:38 PM
You guys are starting to sound like UNI fans with all these excuses xpeacex

Anyway my real point was to just see what he had done this season outside of our game as that is the only one I had for reference.

Don't think it really matters since I do not think SDSU can keep NDSU from running the ball on them. That means SDSU's sketchy defense is on the field a lot, and I predict NDSU wins by about 14 or more because I do not think the SDSU offense can score enough to keep it close.

Jacked_Rabbit
December 2nd, 2014, 03:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzz3l9Lff58&feature=youtu.be&a

Finally got a chance to watch this entire press conference... I really like this dude. I've never got a chance to listen to him before, but it certainly appears the NDSU program is in good hands going forward.

Theee Catrabbit
December 2nd, 2014, 04:02 PM
I do not think the SDSU offense can score enough to keep it close.

If we can't, then nobody can. NDSU will roll to their Quad.

My biggest fear if we don't get past NDSU this year once....it will be a couple years before we get past anybody. Not looking too much into my crystal ball, but aside from Weineke, I think the cupboard might be pretty bare next year. In short order we lose an All Conference QB, All Conference WR and a once in a lifetime RB. Then it's two years for a reload.

RabidRabbit
December 2nd, 2014, 04:22 PM
If we can't, then nobody can. NDSU will roll to their Quad.

My biggest fear if we don't get past NDSU this year once....it will be a couple years before we get past anybody. Not looking too much into my crystal ball, but aside from Weineke, I think the cupboard might be pretty bare next year. In short order we lose an All Conference QB, All Conference WR and a once in a lifetime RB. Then it's two years for a reload.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, this is the best shot the Jacks have to make the championship. SDSU returned a ton at the above listed skill positions, then added Wieneke. Once Sumner returned the Jacks have turned in stellar O appearances. Need the D to play a super game, and get off the field by shutting down the NDSU O. Jacks REALLY Need to break the NDSU curse this Saturday, or it may be a while before Jacks return. Don't think Jacks will be Towson 2013 to 2014 bad, but they'll likely be picked 6th to 8th in MVFC next season.

Kemo
December 2nd, 2014, 05:16 PM
Not looking too much into my crystal ball, but aside from Weineke, I think the cupboard might be pretty bare next year.
Our offense will obviously take a hit next year, but our defense should be much improved. We return 9 of 11 starters, 5 of who are underclassman. Also, our top 3 interior defensive linemen are underclassmen this year, so another off season of weight training should mesh well with the experience they've obtained this year. Plus, we'll return a preseason all-conference linebacker that missed this entire season due to injury.

Theee Catrabbit
December 2nd, 2014, 07:45 PM
Fortunately, or unfortunately, this is the best shot the Jacks have to make the championship. SDSU returned a ton at the above listed skill positions, then added Wieneke. Once Sumner returned the Jacks have turned in stellar O appearances. Need the D to play a super game, and get off the field by shutting down the NDSU O. Jacks REALLY Need to break the NDSU curse this Saturday, or it may be a while before Jacks return. Don't think Jacks will be Towson 2013 to 2014 bad, but they'll likely be picked 6th to 8th in MVFC next season.

Meh. I never care where they pick us.....just care where we end up. But hey, we all wrung our hands when Minnett graduated. I believe some of the statements were: "I think Zenner will be ok."

mmiller_34
December 2nd, 2014, 09:58 PM
Meh. I never care where they pick us.....just care where we end up. But hey, we all wrung our hands when Minnett graduated. I believe some of the statements were: "I think Zenner will be ok."

After Zenner graduates, I think Zenner Part II will be okay.

In all seriousness though, SDSU has done well replacing RBs throughout the years. Whether it is Mengarelli, Gandy, Wallace, or Zenner's brother, SDSU will always prioritize the run game and a strong O-Line. I Think next years O-line will actually be much improved.

APaladindad
December 3rd, 2014, 12:10 AM
I have a tip to help you win that Quad. NDSU needs a tune up scrimmage game before they go to Frisco. I heard there was a team down in South Georgia that was looking for a game in December since the NCAA are not going to let them go to a bowl game even though they won their conference and are bowl eligible. I think it would be fitting for them to have a trip to the dome.

344Johnson
December 3rd, 2014, 12:54 AM
If we go that far, we might aswell own an entire decade. Can you imagine? Oof!

Would be the worst thing to happen to FCS football ever. Makes the division look like a joke if one team is winning a majority of chippers.

I think NDSU will win. Would not be overly surprised if SDSU wins for a couple reasons:

1. Streak. They eventually end when playing against quality opponents. Anyone here have a rival back when you were in sports? Pressure mounts when you have been successful against them consistently.

2. Last game. They gave NDSU some fits. Yes, NDSU took over eventually. Not a bad performance considering Sumner's first game back.

Why NDSU will win....

1. Better team. NDSU is better. No question about it.

2. Better defense. NDSU's is better.

3. They will probably score more points. And if you score more points...you win. johnmadden.jpg

Hoping for a good game.

Twentysix
December 3rd, 2014, 05:49 AM
Sorry SDSU, but you can't win... I need to sell these Championship tickets and they won't be worth the paper they are printed on if NDSU doesn't make it again.

I wonder if it will be a great game or a repeat of the previous NDSU SDSU playoff game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 3rd, 2014, 06:06 AM
If Carson's ankle is 100% then the Bison will be tough to stop. He had a ton of time to pass the ball in the 1st game and if he can run effectively the Bison offense will be tough to stop.

I think SDSU can take advantage (try to) of NDSU's Tampa-2 by using 3-4 WRs sets and using crossing patterns. Also, UNI, ran the ball out of multiple WRs sets. It will be interesting to see if SDSU will run Zenner out of multiple WR sets.

It is going to come down to if SDSU can stop the power run plain and simple. They have no chance if they cannot.

CappinHard
December 3rd, 2014, 09:05 AM
Sorry SDSU, but you can't win... I need to sell these Championship tickets and they won't be worth the paper they are printed on if NDSU doesn't make it again.

I wonder if it will be a great game or a repeat of the previous NDSU SDSU playoff game.

After SDSU wins I will at least give you as much as the paper is worth, you have my word... ;)

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2014, 09:24 AM
As long as this happens, I like our chances.

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah52/YanktonJack7/Screenshot2014-11-02222202_zps7376b32d.png

IBleedYellow
December 3rd, 2014, 09:26 AM
What? The 3rd and 1 or the isolation?

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2014, 09:35 AM
What? The 3rd and 1 or the isolation?
Guessing he means the entire D-line lined up a full yard off the LOS on a 3rd and 1.

Their left outside linebacker is in perfect bunny hop position though.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2014, 09:36 AM
Guessing he means the entire D-line lined up a full yard off the LOS on a 3rd and 1.

I took that screen cap directly from SDSUfans. They weren't crazy about it.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 3rd, 2014, 10:15 AM
I love our double TE sets with Carson under the center.

IBleedYellow
December 3rd, 2014, 10:44 AM
I love our double TE sets with Carson under the center.

The "here it comes, try and stop it" formation.

If you can stop it, hats off to you.

Jacked_Rabbit
December 3rd, 2014, 10:45 AM
It has been well documented that NDSU has absolutely shut down Zenner over the course of his career. We don't need to revisit the statistics or his average YPC against the Bison to agree on that... But since SDSU's 3 game win-streak in Dakota Marker games ended, I don't believe the Jacks pass game has been even remotely close to as dangerous as this one, including the 20-17 loss in Fago a couple seasons ago.

Again, protecting Sumner will be paramount, and that is far easier said than done. But I firmly believe that the threat of the pass-game alone is going to soften up the NDSU front 7. If the Jacks can connect on a couple early passes, I think the Bison fans are finally going to see Zenner snap off a long one, something they've never witnessed before. Will it be enough to win the game, probably not, but my bold prediction is that Zenner will have a run longer than 50 yards in the game. He's long overdue, that's for sure! Just a gut feeling that I thought if share while I eagerly anticipate Saturday's kickoff.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2014, 10:50 AM
It has been well documented that NDSU has absolutely shut down Zenner over the course of his career. We don't need to revisit the statistics or his average YPC against the Bison to agree on that... But since SDSU's 3 game win-streak in Dakota Marker games ended, I don't believe the Jacks pass game has been even remotely close to as dangerous as this one, including the 20-17 loss in Fago a couple seasons ago.

Again, protecting Sumner will be paramount, and that is far easier said than done. But I firmly believe that the threat of the pass-game alone is going to soften up the NDSU front 7. If the Jacks can cannot on a couple early passes, I think the. Bison are finally going to see Zenner snap off a long one, something they've never witnessed before. Will it be enough to win the game, probably not, but my bold prediction is that Zenner will have a run longer than 50 yards in the game. He's long overdue, that's for sure! Just a gut feeling that I thought if share while I eagerly anticipate Saturday's kickoff.

That didn't happen in a bubble. NDSU has had an all-world defensive backfield for the entire course of the winning streak. If you couple that with the best pass rusher in FCS you see why NDSU has the best pass defense in the nation.

IBleedYellow
December 3rd, 2014, 10:50 AM
He's ran for long runs against NDSU before, though. I'm not sure where you're going with that.

Also, if Sumner has the exact same pass protection he did just 4 short weeks ago, he's going to be running a lot, and a team with sound gap defense won't let him squeak through too often. Last week I noticed that there was a lot of over pursuing on the Bobcats part and then Sumner would be able to get away easily. I haven't seen a quarterback do that against this defense for a long time unless it's a broken play where the D is not paying attention.

It's going to be a great game, and if the SDSU o-line can give Sumner time, it'll be a long day. If he's got a menace known as Kyle Emmanuel all around him, it'll be an even longer day for Rabbit fans.

Theee Catrabbit
December 3rd, 2014, 10:54 AM
I took that screen cap directly from SDSUfans. They weren't crazy about it.

It's been a long term discussion and there are a few fans it is driving crazy. In this instance it borders on the ridiculous, The coaching excuse is was it was a blown play call by staff or team, I don't know. Still....the LB's should have been up there as well. For as much as other teams stack the box on us, for some reason we don't agree with it against run teams. My opinion(which counts very little with the coaching staff) is to sell out against the run. Our DB's are excellent if they let them be.

On a happier note I am pleased that I will be attending the game in person! It'll be a drive but I think it's worth it to see Zenner live one more time.

IBleedYellow
December 3rd, 2014, 11:11 AM
Year

Carries

Yards

Avg

TD

LG

2012a

2012b

Totals

So I grabbed these numbers from ESPN Box Scores quickly and tossed them into excel. If you see any errors let me know please.

Point I'm trying to make: Zenner has never been amazingly successful against NDSU other than this year and that was a limited mobility Sumner. NDSU could very well be done after Saturday.

All boils down to the trenches.

Jacked_Rabbit
December 3rd, 2014, 11:14 AM
He's ran for long runs against NDSU before, though. I'm not sure where you're going with that.

Really!?!? How many 50+ yard runs does Zenner have against NDSU in his career? I must've been in the restroom when they we're going down.

IBleedYellow
December 3rd, 2014, 11:16 AM
*Points up*

I'd call a 34 yard a long run. I suppose most people wouldn't qualify that as one, but when you're used to only giving up 100 rushing yards a game, giving up more than a quarter in one run is long.

Jacked_Rabbit
December 3rd, 2014, 11:21 AM
Year
Carries
Yards
Avg
TD
LG

2012a

2012b

Totals

So I grabbed these numbers from ESPN Box Scores quickly and tossed them into excel. If you see any errors let me know please.

Point I'm trying to make: Zenner has never been amazingly successful against NDSU other than this year and that was a limited mobility Sumner. NDSU could very well be done after Saturday.

All boils down to the trenches.

Thanks for pulling these stats together. I thinks you hit the nail on the head with your last statement above. It all boils down to the trenches...

The point I was trying to make was a rather irrelevant one, but I was simply pointing out that an improved pass-game that is operating at an all-time high efficiency level will make this SDSU Offense as multi-dimensional as they've ever been. Because if this, I feel Zenner is going to have the best game of his career against the Bison, which won't take much based on his previous results. Will that translate directly to a win? Not necessarily, as this is only one phase of the game, but it can't hurt our chances if my prediction comes to fruition.

I hope that clears things up for you.

IBleedYellow
December 3rd, 2014, 11:23 AM
Damnit, I should have put in scores for those games so that we could see how the score reflects how Zenner did...oh well.

Jacked_Rabbit
December 3rd, 2014, 11:33 AM
Damnit, I should have put in scores for those games so that we could see how the score reflects how Zenner did...oh well.

My point exactly - it still won't necessarily have a direct correlation to the result of the game, but it can't hurt if he breaks off a couple long ones... Enough of this worthless time-killing convo, Saturday can't get here soon enough!

NDSUSR
December 3rd, 2014, 12:31 PM
One month ago the result was 37-17. What has changed since then to make SDSU think this game will be different?
Nothing.....

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2014, 12:34 PM
People talk about this 6 game losing streak and how the Jacks are due. Did you know that between 1976 and 1992 the Bison had a 17 game winning streak over the Jacks?

In the last 50 years, the Bison are 41-9 against the Jacks.

Now those are streaks.

mmiller_34
December 3rd, 2014, 12:48 PM
You're right. We're doomed.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2014, 12:52 PM
You're right. We're doomed.

Perhaps but what you are definitely not, is due.

344Johnson
December 3rd, 2014, 01:02 PM
People talk about this 6 game losing streak and how the Jacks are due. Did you know that between 1976 and 1992 the Bison had a 17 game winning streak over the Jacks?

Now those are streaks.

They have a fine record against ndsu in the division 1 era.... Relatively

Jacked_Rabbit
December 3rd, 2014, 01:27 PM
One month ago the result was 37-17. What has changed since then to make SDSU think this game will be different?
Nothing.....

I take it you haven't paid much attention to our team since then. For one, we have our starting QB back, and he's actually healthy this time - not limping into the Fargo Dome in a walking boot. Also, you can point to the final score as much as you want, but that game was far closer than the score indicated. Hell, we had the lead at halftime! I wouldn't recommend letting us hang around this time, or there may be some shocked Bison fans. The level of arrogance in dismissing SDSU because of a final score from earlier is laughable...

CappinHard
December 3rd, 2014, 01:31 PM
Nothing.....

Schneider was just days removed from knee surgery, he is healthier now. Sumner was a statue, he is looking great now. The team as a whole is the healthiest they have been all season. The offense is rolling.

Not saying that those things will lead to a victory, just answering your question of what has changed since then.

Thunderstruck
December 3rd, 2014, 01:47 PM
SDSU has improved with health offensively, but compared to the game earlier this season, what has SDSU done defensively to stop the Bison?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2014, 01:55 PM
They have a losing record against ndsu in the division 1 era.... Relatively

FIFY

UNIFanSince1983
December 3rd, 2014, 02:00 PM
SDSU has improved with health offensively, but compared to the game earlier this season, what has SDSU done defensively to stop the Bison?

This.

This is why I said earlier I think the Bison win by 14+ as I don't think the Bunnies can score enough. Not because the offense isn't good enough. Simply because the defense can't stop them from doing what they want on offense. I predict a similar TOP advantage for NDSU.

Jacked_Rabbit
December 3rd, 2014, 02:29 PM
This.

This is why I said earlier I think the Bison win by 14+ as I don't think the Bunnies can score enough. Not because the offense isn't good enough. Simply because the defense can't stop them from doing what they want on offense. I predict a similar TOP advantage for NDSU.

Can't argue the fact that our Defense is going to have to find a way to put some pressure on Wentz and stop the run if we're going to have any shot at winning this game. They've shown flashes of having the ability to do so throughout the year, but it'll obviously have to be a full 4 quarter effort, as it will for any team to beat NDSU. UNI has already done it, just as we did to the Panthers to knock them off, so it's not like it's impossible.

IBleedYellow
December 3rd, 2014, 02:48 PM
Can't argue the fact that our Defense is going to have to find a way to put some pressure on Wentz and stop the run if we're going to have any shot at winning this game. They've shown flashes of having the ability to do so throughout the year, but it'll obviously have to be a full 4 quarter effort, as it will for any team to beat NDSU. UNI has already done it, just as we did to the Panthers to knock them off, so it's not like it's impossible.

If the first game is any indication, they have a lot of work ahead of them. I counted to 7 or higher multiple times in the first game where Wentz stood in the pocket just surveying the field.

It seriously need to be Saturday...holy crap.

Grizalltheway
December 3rd, 2014, 02:50 PM
If the first game is any indication, they have a lot of work ahead of them. I counted to 7 or higher multiple times in the first game where Wentz stood in the pocket just surveying the field.

Effing THIS. I can't stop staring at the clock.xbangx

PMBison
December 3rd, 2014, 03:00 PM
A question I have that has been alluded to on other boards and topic discussions but I have never directly seen answered is, have the bison given up more than 23 points to any team since 2010? I know I could look this up but I am too lazy. My memory tells me that the most they have allowed has been 23 twice to UNI but I could easily be forgetting something, especially when trying to remember prior to 2012.

Bisonator
December 3rd, 2014, 03:05 PM
A question I have that has been alluded to on other boards and topic discussions but I have never directly seen answered is, have the bison given up more than 23 points to any team since 2010? I know I could look this up but I am too lazy. My memory tells me that the most they have allowed has been 23 twice to UNI but I could easily be forgetting something, especially when trying to remember prior to 2012.

I think Missouri State scored 26 on us last year.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2014, 03:06 PM

26 to Mo St. Last year
24 to Minnesota in 2011
27 to Youngstown in 2011

No more than that since EWU's 38 in 2010.

IBleedYellow
December 3rd, 2014, 03:07 PM
I think Missouri State scored 26 on us last year.

YSU scored 27 when they beat NDSU in 2011.

PMBison
December 3rd, 2014, 03:18 PM
26 to Mo St. Last year
24 to Minnesota in 2011
27 to Youngstown in 2011

No more than that since EWU's 38 in 2010.

Thanks, yeah the main reason I asked was because it seems as though every time we play a team with a good offense, there are always people that are completely convinced their team will score 30+ points. Not saying that is the case with SDSU posters but I have seen it many other times and its puzzling to me considering the track record NDSU has. That being said, I guess its a little ignorant of me to think that other teams would know our track record to that depth. As far as this game, I am only slightly nervous. I don't think NDSU's run defense is quite as good as it has been over the last few years and their offense seems to be more inconsistent in regards to their approach, which I think has a lot to do with a new offensive coordinator. SDSU is also better, I think, than they have been in the past. If NDSU keeps Zenner under control like every other time they have played them, NDSU wins.

Thunderstruck
December 3rd, 2014, 03:18 PM

Was SDSU trying to pass rush or just keep contain on Wentz so he didn't get out and scramble?

KUlawJack
December 3rd, 2014, 03:41 PM

Now those are streaks.

Well, the series was 31-14-5 in favor of SDSU for the 60 years prior to that. Mudra, in conjunction with Team Makers changed that around in a hurry though, followed by a host of other coaches.

All time series is 57-40-5 in favor of NDSU now. If anyone was interested. I was surprised there were no ties since the early 60s, all 5 coming before that.

Kemo
December 3rd, 2014, 08:29 PM
Was SDSU trying to pass rush or just keep contain on Wentz so he didn't get out and scramble?

From what I recall, they were trying to rush, but it was one of those controlled rushes where the defenders tried to stay in their gaps to limit the QB run, but really limits the pass rush off the edge. This used to be popular to do against Michael Vick when he was younger.

An interesting tactic that the Jacks were doing at times against Prukop last game was they had the DEs go full bore while the DTs actually took a step back and joint spied the QB. It actually work decent, so it'll be interesting to see if it will be utilized against the Bison.

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2014, 09:15 PM
From what I recall, they were trying to rush, but it was one of those controlled rushes where the defenders tried to stay in their gaps to limit the QB run, but really limits the pass rush off the edge. This used to be popular to do against Michael Vick when he was younger.

An interesting tactic that the Jacks were doing at times against Prukop last game was they had the DEs go full bore while the DTs actually took a step back and joint spied the QB. It actually work decent, so it'll be interesting to see if it will be utilized against the Bison.
I think it worked against Prukop because he was pretty significantly hobbled by his sprained knee. Had he been healthy (like Wentz is thought to be right now) a DT isn't going to be able to spy him and keep up with him if he steps up and takes off.

NDSUSR
December 3rd, 2014, 09:27 PM
I take it you haven't paid much attention to our team since then. For one, we have our starting QB back, and he's actually healthy this time - not limping into the Fargo Dome in a walking boot. Also, you can point to the final score as much as you want, but that game was far closer than the score indicated. Hell, we had the lead at halftime! I wouldn't recommend letting us hang around this time, or there may be some shocked Bison fans. The level of arrogance in dismissing SDSU because of a final score from earlier is laughable...

Sooooo... NOTHING. You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting,
Welcome to the post season..... The "What went wrong thread".

Kemo
December 3rd, 2014, 09:31 PM
I think it worked against Prukop because he was pretty significantly hobbled by his sprained knee. Had he been healthy (like Wentz is thought to be right now) a DT isn't going to be able to spy him and keep up with him if he steps up and takes off.

I actually wasn't sure how it would work, but the theory behind it actually worked in practice. One DT wouldn't be able to spy, but the two staying unengaged and working together at least slows the QB enough to allow the pass rushing DEs to drop off their blocks if the QB steps up.

You are correct though, it might have been a different story with a healthier Prukop, and it doesn't guarantee it will work versus Wentz.

dewey
December 4th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Here is The Sports Network summary of the NDSU-SDSU game this weekend.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_12_04_2014.htm

South Dakota State (9-4) at No. 2 seed North Dakota State
(11-1)

Kickoff: 3:30 p.m. (ESPN3)

What to Know: Two more Missouri Valley teams collide
and South Dakota State hopes to change its luck against North Dakota State's
three-time reigning FCS champions, who have manhandled the Jackrabbits with
defense in recent years.

NDSU has won the last six meetings, including
37-17 earlier this season, and SDSU All-American running back Zach Zenner has
been kept in check - this despite him being on three straight 2,000-yard
campaigns (he's 114 yards shy this season). He has rushed for 223 yards and two
touchdowns on 61 carries (3.7 yards per carry) in five career games against the
Bison.

The Bison haven't worn their traditional green jerseys in a home
playoff game since 2011, but, as the envy of FCS programs, they will break them
out Saturday. They have won all 10 FCS playoff games at the Fargodome.

Defensive end Kyle Emanuel, linebacker Carlton Littlejohn and safeties
Christian Dudzik and Colton Heagle are veterans of the NDSU postseason runs, but
the Bison no longer have 2011 national championship game MVP Travis Beck after
he suffered a season-ending Achilles injury in the regular-season finale.
Sophomore Nick DeLuca takes over Beck's spot at linebacker.

An NDSU
defense rested from a first-round bye is never good for opponents, but Zenner is
coming off one of his all-time best performances: 252 rushing yards, 324
all-purpose yards and five touchdowns in a 47-40 first-round win in the snow at
Montana State. No doubt, he's determined to change history against NDSU.

The SDSU offense is so much more dangerous with a veteran leader,
quarterback Austin Sumner, under center. He won't have to deal with falling snow
as he looks for his targets, led by wideout Jake Wieneke.

The
Jackrabbits don't want to play behind because NDSU is usually lights-out in the
second half. With running back John Crockett (1,425 yards, 16 total touchdowns)
and a more-seasoned Carson Wentz under center, the Bison are No. 1 in the FCS in
time of possession (34 minutes, 19 seconds).

Not to be lost in all the
NDSU excellence is its dominant set of kickers in Adam Keller (school-record 23
field goals this season; 103 straight PATs) and punter Ben LeCompte (45-yard
average).

The winner will advance to play either Richmond or No. 7 seed
Coastal Carolina in the national quarterfinals.

Prediction: Zenner could write a story for the ages if
he takes down North Dakota State at the Fargodome. But the Bison have too much
overall experience in this big matchup and will leave the Jackrabbits
emotionally spent. North Dakota State, 30-21.

Dewey

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 4th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Man, what a long week so far....xsplatx

Jacked_Rabbit
December 4th, 2014, 11:48 AM

Amen to that... There's just nothing to even talk about anymore. Let's play in a Rest Area parking lot alongside I-29 this evening.

PantherRob82
December 4th, 2014, 01:15 PM

Tell me about it.

UNIFanSince1983
December 4th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Tell me about it.

Honestly I think the week has gone fast. Although I am not going to work tomorrow so maybe that is why :)

PMBison
December 4th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Honestly I think the week has gone fast. Although I am not going to work tomorrow so maybe that is why :)

Feels a lot longer when we didn't get to play last week, not that I am complaining about that fact:D

ndsubison
December 4th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Sooooo looking fwd to watching this game. I also agree that the regular season score in conf this yr (37-17 Bison W ) was not indicative of the actual game. Jacks O seems to be on a tear now that they're healthy, and Bison D (with the aid of a 120db FargoDome crowd )rises to a new level of intensity come playoff time. Go Bison, but if the Jacks somehow win this one, I'll be cheering loud for them to go all the way.

RabidRabbit
December 4th, 2014, 04:22 PM
The only games featuring two top 10 (heck, top 5 - Massey ratings) are the two MVFC challenge games. Wouldn't be surprised to see the winner of either MVFC challenge games play in Frisco.

This is the most serious challenge to NDSU making the championship game that the Bison would face this season.

1) Jackrabbits know NDSU - 103rd game between NDSU/SDSU.
2) Jackrabbits know how to play in the FargoDome (5th time for the Seniors on the Jacks team), + Indoor Practice Facility so can simulate atmosphere.
3) Friendly Rivals - Lots of respect and appreciation.
4) Jackrabbits are a substantially healthier, better team this game than a month ago.

No other team along the path to the title game will be more challenging for Bison.

Whoever wins this week should be playing in Frisco in a month.

ndsubison
December 4th, 2014, 04:55 PM
I believe I don't speak alone on this: yes, Jacks are a rival but it doesn't involve the literal hatred we have with _ND. I actually like Jack fans when I've spoken with them at games/tailgate/ etc. Good ppl, IMO. Hard to hate on you guys. ****, without your admin not Pressing the 2 for 1 or none with the Summit and (then Gateway) , whooda thunk? I just can't hate on you guys. A lot of ppl in Fgo would reiterate. Too bad one of us has to lose this wknd. Go Bison! !

NoDak 4 Ever
December 4th, 2014, 05:07 PM
I believe I don't speak alone on this: yes, Jacks are a rival but it doesn't involve the literal hatred we have with _ND. I actually like Jack fans when I've spoken with them at games/tailgate/ etc. Good ppl, IMO. Hard to hate on you guys. ****, without your admin not Pressing the 2 for 1 or none with the Summit and (then Gateway) , whooda thunk? I just can't hate on you guys. A lot of ppl in Fgo would reiterate. Too bad one of us has to lose this wknd. Go Bison! !

Well there is that ****ing asshole that cut block Leevon Perry away from the play and ended his system. He was from SDSU.

NSF
December 4th, 2014, 05:12 PM
Wow, love between the Dakotas! Not to break in on your game thread (ok, I did mean to), but wanted to give congratulations to Zach Zenner for being named the CoSIDA Academic All American of the Year. What a great honor! I've enjoyed watching him over the past 4 years, although I haven't really been a fan of how he has treated the Sycamores--I wish he'd have had more games similar to his production against the Bison against us. That being said, it should be a great game and good luck to you guys--both teams. Go Valley!

ndsubison
December 4th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Point taken. Some UNI ppl could also say that if J Hinz would've heard the whistle prior to quitting his block, UNI 's J Farley wouldn't have had his leg broken. ***** goes both wayz. It's called football, and we play it tough up here...

NoDak 4 Ever
December 4th, 2014, 05:40 PM
Point taken. Some UNI ppl could also say that if J Hinz would've heard the whistle prior to quitting his block, UNI 's J Farley wouldn't have had his leg broken. ***** goes both wayz. It's called football, and we play it tough up here...

You clearly didn't see either play, they were nothing like one another. That one on Leevon was a blatant cheap shot.

ndsubison
December 4th, 2014, 05:42 PM
You want some hate- game? I am an' SU alum. Pole~ vaulted/ decathalon on the track team. I wasn't big enough to be LB and not fast enough for SS /CB. Screw me, I guess. Haven't missed a home Bison fb game since' 91.Season tix since' 08. Went to my 1st Bison game with my Dad@ Dacotah Field in' 85. I hate on und. For many reasons, cuz I've been around. I love seeing the s_ux lose. And I will be in the stands next year yelling' til I'm hoarse when the Fkn Herd puts 40 on em. Bank it.

Thumper 76
December 4th, 2014, 06:09 PM
You clearly didn't see either play, they were nothing like one another. That one on Leevon was a blatant cheap shot.

You are the one of the few who seem to think so and/or keep bitching about it.

jub1982
December 4th, 2014, 06:40 PM

I agree. I have friends that are SDSU grads. I view it as a friendly rivalry. NDSU and SDSU are very similar schools (Land Grant, Engineering, Pharmacy, etc) and attract similar students. To me, hating SDSU is like hating yourself.

Twentysix
December 4th, 2014, 07:23 PM
NDSU and SDSU have strong futures together.

KUlawJack
December 4th, 2014, 07:46 PM
You are the one of the few who seem to think so and/or keep bitching about it.

I believe former NDSU linemen have even addressed the issue stating it was not a cheap shot. But whatever.

PantherRob82
December 4th, 2014, 08:56 PM
NDSU and SDSU have strong futures together.

Get a room. xlolx

Jacked_Rabbit
December 4th, 2014, 09:00 PM
Get a room. xlolx

Wow, this is the most action I've had in a while... Somebody light my smoke?

IBleedYellow
December 4th, 2014, 09:53 PM
Wow, this is the most action I've had in a while... Somebody light my smoke?
Have a Coyote do it for you.

Sent from a TI-83+ Calculator

Thumper 76
December 4th, 2014, 10:20 PM
Have a Coyote do it for you.

Sent from a TI-83+ Calculator

They're still recovering from the brutalizations the had in conference this year. It's good they wear red, cause they got pummeled.

BisonFan02
December 4th, 2014, 11:33 PM
http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/11-26-2014/WBc8pf.gif

FargoBison
December 4th, 2014, 11:57 PM

I'd say his ankle looks fine....That DB though I'm sure he felt that hit in the morning.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 5th, 2014, 05:29 AM
Two points:

Is the SDSU defense good enough to consistently stop the Bison offense?

No

Is the NDSU defense good enough to consistently stop the Jacks offense?

Yes

IMO, the Jacks need to score 27+ points to have a shot of winning and I don't think they can do this against the Bison defense. Hail mary TDs passes like the one to end the 2nd quarter are not going to happen during playoff football in the FD.

The Bison will ground and pound the Jacks forcing them to stack the box opening up the passing game and running lanes for Carson to take off and run. If the TOP is like it was for the 1st game (39 minutes), this game will be a 2-3 TD win for the Bison.

mango433
December 5th, 2014, 07:58 AM
Two points:

Is the SDSU defense good enough to consistently stop the Bison offense?

No

Is the NDSU defense good enough to consistently stop the Jacks offense?

Yes

IMO, the Jacks need to score 27+ points to have a shot of winning and I don't think they can do this against the Bison defense. Hail mary TDs passes like the one to end the 2nd quarter are not going to happen during playoff football in the FD.

The Bison will ground and pound the Jacks forcing them to stack the box opening up the passing game and running lanes for Carson to take off and run. If the TOP is like it was for the 1st game (39 minutes), this game will be a 2-3 TD win for the Bison.

Hail Mary pass? JFC

F'N Hawks
December 5th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Hail Mary pass? JFC

Nobody throws hail mary passes during the playoffs in the Fargodome. Nobody. Get that out of your mind right now, SDSU fans.

Bison56
December 5th, 2014, 08:37 AM

"That's how a white man runs the football!" Guard Dunham

Jacked_Rabbit
December 5th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Nobody throws hail mary passes during the playoffs in the Fargodome. Nobody. Get that out of your mind right now, SDSU fans.

I predict we will throw 20+ Hail Mary passes. Just line up 5 wide, close your eyes, and throw the ball as high and far into the air as we can ... right into a group of 4 or 5 DB's and a couple of our WR's. Sounds like a great plan, and I think it will be our chance at moving the ball against this Fago Dome playoff crowd, er, NDSU defense. Sometimes I forget that we aren't playing the crowd based on some of the comments here.

Hate to break it to you Bison fans, but I've played in the Fargo Dome a number of times, and it isn't all that loud. Sure, it's louder than Coughlin-Alumni, but that doesn't take much. That's the honest truth. Compared to Montana, it's quiet as a church on Sunday morning. If you want loud, be a visiting team at Wa-Griz. Now THAT is loud! The Fargo Dome crowd is going to have zero affect on the game. And we'll take a few shots deep. The fact that it's a playoff game in the FD isn't going to prevent that - sorry to burst your bubble.

No_Skill
December 5th, 2014, 09:11 AM
I predict we will throw 20+ Hail Mary passes. Just line up 5 wide, close your eyes, and throw the ball as high and far into the air as we can ... right into a group of 4 or 5 DB's and a couple of our WR's. Sounds like a great plan, and I think it will be our chance at moving the ball against this Fago Dome playoff crowd, er, NDSU defense. Sometimes I forget that we aren't playing the crowd based on some of the comments here.

Hate to break it to you Bison fans, but I've played in the Fargo Dome a number of times, and it isn't all that loud. Sure, it's louder than Coughlin-Alumni, but that doesn't take much. That's the honest truth. Compared to Montana, it's quiet as a church on Sunday morning. If you want loud, be a visiting team at Wa-Griz. Now THAT is loud! The Fargo Dome crowd is going to have zero affect on the game. And we'll take a few shots deep. The fact that it's a playoff game in the FD isn't going to prevent that - sorry to burst your bubble.

Holy troll bait batman. :)

Professor Chaos
December 5th, 2014, 09:34 AM

You hear what you want to hear....

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20131212/PC20/131219821

I've coached in a lot of great venues during my career, but there is no place louder than the Fargodome. There is no verbal communication whatsoever when you are down on that field. It's unbelievable. It's the best atmosphere in college football - at any level.

And that wasn't pre-game week coach speak, this was the year after GSU's last trip to the Fargodome when they were already on their way to FBS.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2014, 09:38 AM

And that wasn't pre-game week coach speak, this was the year after GSU's last trip to the Fargodome when they were already on their way to FBS.

There's a big difference between Georgia Southern and SDSU.

Professor Chaos
December 5th, 2014, 09:40 AM
There's a big difference between Georgia Southern and SDSU.
There shouldn't be, lose either and the season is done. I'm sure the players realize that so I hope the crowd does to. I'll be yelling just as loud tomorrow as I did in the GSU games. Although probably not on every defensive play like I did in the GSU games, haha.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2014, 09:42 AM
There shouldn't be, lose either and the season is done. I'm sure the players realize that so I hope the crowd does to. I'll be yelling just as loud tomorrow as I did in the GSU games. Although probably not on every defensive play like I did in the GSU games, haha.

The last playoff game for SDSU was over sometime in the 2nd quarter. GSU had us down the whole game.

LeeshaJo
December 5th, 2014, 09:47 AM
This isn't calling anybody out, but just saying, If I were an NDSU fan, I would never say a word other than.. Our football team speaks for us on the field. Really in the past few years, you haven't had to say anything else...

That said.

Tomorrow. The Jacks are going to speak the loudest! :) Here's to a great game, no injuries, oh and a South Dakota State University Victory!!!!

TennBison
December 5th, 2014, 09:47 AM

It's plenty loud, just because your concussions and lack of batteries for your hearing aids make it hard for you to hear does not mean the rest of the people at the dome can't. Or maybe what you say is true, but the games that you claim to have played (at the Fargodome) were not important and the crowd wasn't into it. Either way, your wrong. Other places might be louder, but the Fargodome is in the top 3-5.

bisonboone11
December 5th, 2014, 09:53 AM

http://kirbos.net/web_pictures/boards/do_not_give_food_to_bridge_dweller.jpg

Professor Chaos
December 5th, 2014, 09:53 AM
The last playoff game for SDSU was over sometime in the 2nd quarter. GSU had us down the whole game.
Very true. I wouldn't mind NDSU putting it out of reach again before we get down to crunch time, usually saves my voice a bit.

*sigh* On another note this is going to be one long effing day...

Jacked_Rabbit
December 5th, 2014, 10:12 AM
It's plenty loud, just because your concussions and lack of batteries for your hearing aids make it hard for you to hear does not mean the rest of the people at the dome can't. Or maybe what you say is true, but the games that you claim to have played (at the Fargodome) were not important and the crowd wasn't into it. Either way, your wrong. Other places might be louder, but the Fargodome is in the top 3-5.

Top 3-5 is probably fair... Fans just like to think crowd noise has a bigger impact than it actually does in reality, and that's fine, that's why we're fans.

TheKingpin28
December 5th, 2014, 10:17 AM
I am beyond ready for this game. I took the day off to mentally prep for tomorrow and start getting the alcohol tolerance up. I'll be sitting in the south end zone with my roommate. I wouldn't mind NDSU putting the bunnies away in the 1st half but I also know that Sumner and Zenner will not go down without a fight. If they can contain Zenner, which would not surprise me knowing what they can/have consistently done, and force Sumner to throw on 3rd and longs to Wieneke and Co, will equate to this game not being close with that stout Bison D. Hail Mary passes just do not happen when the Bison play with their playoff mentality at the Fargodome

dewey
December 5th, 2014, 10:19 AM

I have that in my signature line.

Here is an article from the Fargo Forum about the regionalization crap that the NCAA is feeding to the schools.

http://www.inforum.com/content/kolpack-playoff-regional-scheduling-still-play-unfortunately-ndsu

Dewey

Professor Chaos
December 5th, 2014, 10:21 AM
Top 3-5 is probably fair... Fans just like to think crowd noise has a bigger impact than it actually does in reality, and that's fine, that's why we're fans.
Well, say what you will but I know I'm solely responsible for NDSU's loss to UNI because I ordered pizza from Casey's General Store that day not realizing that they sponsor UNI football.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Well, say what you will but I know I'm solely responsible for NDSU's loss to UNI because I ordered pizza from Casey's General Store that day not realizing that they sponsor UNI football.

This. I went to SDSU for a year and I have a couple of their sweatshirts, due to the holiday last weekend a lot of laundry got backed up and it turned out that they were the only clean ones I had left. No way was i wearing them this week.

UNIFanSince1983
December 5th, 2014, 10:24 AM

But the pizza is really good! :)

PantherRob82
December 5th, 2014, 10:26 AM

It depends on the game and the visitor's preparation. I've seen plenty of games over the years where crowd noise caused multiple false starts and interceptions that looked like miscommunications between the QB and WR.

Professor Chaos
December 5th, 2014, 10:34 AM
It was xthumbsupx

Evolution Prime
December 5th, 2014, 10:34 AM

That it is. With Pizza Hut being the only other option in town, the choice is simple what to get.

Evolution Prime
December 5th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Well its about time for me to end the work week and start my trek up to Fargo. I've been looking forward to this since Sunday. Plan on having a good time and expecting a great game with the good guys in white to come out on top.

Bison56
December 5th, 2014, 11:00 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/signaturepics/sigpic9036_4.gif

What is going on here?

Professor Chaos
December 5th, 2014, 11:04 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/signaturepics/sigpic9036_4.gif

What is going on here?
Perhaps they're trying to re-enact a scene from Deliverance?

mmiller_34
December 5th, 2014, 11:21 AM

I totally get you. I am solely responsible for SDSU's loss to YSU on Hobo Day because I left the stands early -- I NEVER do that -- before halftime (right after SDSU went up 20-17) to beat the rush to the concession stands. In that time, YSU scored with 11 seconds left on the clock to take the lead going into half. Its totally my a**. 100%.

steelbison
December 5th, 2014, 11:48 AM
I believe former NDSU linemen have even addressed the issue stating it was not a cheap shot. But whatever.

It was late. If it wasn't cheap not sure what you would call it. the play was over and he hit a guy in the back of the knee for no reason.

But why do we need to dig that up again. It is ancient history.

This game will be a typical Bison/SDSU contest. Both offenses are good, biggest difference always is our Defense is so much better than yours.

That is where this game will be won by the Bison. Both our D and O line are better than yours. Always have been and at the end of the day that is where this game will be won.

Bison score 30-38 points SDSU scores 10-20 points.

Also Zenner has ZERO change of getting his 144 yards rushing...maybe he get 75 on a good day...

KUlawJack
December 5th, 2014, 01:13 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sdsu-senior-eyes-fcs-rushing-record-win-over-081731868--ncaaf.html

This was posted on SDSU's message board. Comments from Zenner, Emanuel, and Littlejohn in the article.

KUlawJack
December 5th, 2014, 01:16 PM
It was late. If it wasn't cheap not sure what you would call it. the play was over and he hit a guy in the back of the knee for no reason.

But why do we need to dig that up again. It is ancient history.

This game will be a typical Bison/SDSU contest. Both offenses are good, biggest difference always is our Defense is so much better than yours.

That is where this game will be won by the Bison. Both our D and O line are better than yours. Always have been and at the end of the day that is where this game will be won.

Bison score 30-38 points SDSU scores 10-20 points.

Also Zenner has ZERO change of getting his 144 yards rushing...maybe he get 75 on a good day...

Well, as I pointed out, a number of your own fans, including former players, disagree with you.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Well, as I pointed out, a number of your own fans, including former players, disagree with you.

Not really but since most have gotten over it, nobody cares anymore. Not even me even though we do know what happened.

I was trying to come up with the only real mustard in this otherwise extremely boring sandwich.

CappinHard
December 5th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Either way, your wrong.

Either way, you have no idea what the difference between your and you're is. #NDSUeducation #petpeeve #iknowthisisn'ttwitter,notsurewhyi'musinghashtags :P

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Either way, you have no idea what the difference between your and you're is. #NDSUeducation #petpeeve #iknowthisisn'ttwitter,notsurewhyi'musinghashtags :P

How about this? YOU'RE a dip****.

CappinHard
December 5th, 2014, 02:10 PM
How about this? YOU'RE a dip****.

Good one. Exactly what I expected from a guy like you.

In other news, the SDSU line has been bet up to +17.5 from the opening line of +15. Interesting and tempting.

TennBison
December 5th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Well its about time for me to end the work week and start my trek up to Fargo. I've been looking forward to this since Sunday. Plan on having a good time and expecting a great game with the good guys in green/gold to come out on top.
You forgot that this is a home game for NDSU and therefore we are not going to be wearing the road whites. So I fixed it for you.

CappinHard
December 5th, 2014, 02:20 PM
What are the chances that NDSU is down after the first half and changes their green jerseys out for their gold jerseys in the second half in dramatic fashion?

Please don't say "0%, because they're not going to be down at half", because SDSU was ahead at half earlier this year. Also, this is more of a joke/conversation piece to pass time until the game starts so I don't go crazy.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2014, 02:25 PM
What are the chances that NDSU is down after the first half and changes their green jerseys out for their gold jerseys in the second half in dramatic fashion?

Please don't say "0%, because they're not going to be down at half", because SDSU was ahead at half earlier this year. Also, this is more of a joke/conversation piece to pass time until the game starts so I don't go crazy.

0%, because they're not going to be down at half

JLP
December 5th, 2014, 02:32 PM
Good one. Exactly what I expected from a guy like you.

In other news, the SDSU line has been bet up to +17.5 from the opening line of +15. Interesting and tempting.

17.5 seems awfully high. A 12 to 14 point spread seems a little more appropriate

FargoBison
December 5th, 2014, 02:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkSgio-UuVY&feature=youtu.be&a

bisonboone11
December 5th, 2014, 02:47 PM

Does Stig have a weekly press conference available to watch?

dewey
December 5th, 2014, 03:02 PM
17.5 seems awfully high. A 12 to 14 point spread seems a little more appropriate

I would agree. 17.5 points is a lot of points. I sure hope I am wrong and NDSU beats SDSU by 50:-)

Dewey

344Johnson
December 5th, 2014, 03:56 PM

I'm guessing that is not allowed....

PantherRob82
December 5th, 2014, 04:02 PM

It's probably more likely that Thundar whips his dick out and starts twirling it like a helicopter. :D

FargoBison
December 5th, 2014, 04:10 PM
I'm guessing that is not allowed....

If Gordon Bombay was our coach the NCAA might allow it.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2014, 04:14 PM
I believe you have to declare your jersey color prior to the game, since the other color wasn't declared, it's probably illegal. Then again, the only penalty is 1 time out per quarter and we never use them all anyway.