PDA

View Full Version : North Dakota

art vandelay
November 13th, 2006, 12:04 PM
does anyone have any new news about the north dakota playoff petition info. if it is not going to happen then every team from #5 on needs to be buped up a spot in the rankings as far as playoffs go.

bisonmike
November 13th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Won't happen. As much as I would like NDSU to get in, no way they change the rules for just us. Oh, and it's North Dakota State, not North Dakota. They're a DII school.

BlueHen86
November 13th, 2006, 12:28 PM
What exactly is the rule keeping you out?

JBB
November 13th, 2006, 12:32 PM
We arent members of division 1 yet. We are prospective members. After next season all members of Division 1 will vote on our admittance. Its called the transition. i dont even think our stats are compiled with the rest of the current member stats.

spelunker64
November 13th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Did Taylor (AD) actually petition or is this just another rumor mill?

Our only playoff game is next week for the GWFC title

BlueHen86
November 13th, 2006, 12:39 PM
We arent members of division 1 yet. We are prospective members. After next season all members of Division 1 will vote on our admittance. Its called the transition. i dont even think our stats are compiled with the rest of the current member stats.
Seems like a stupid rule. Anyone know the purpose of it?

You guys moved up from DII right? You guys are in football limbo, doesn't seem fair. I could understand if you were moving 'down' from DI-A.

McNeese72
November 13th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Seems like a stupid rule. Anyone know the purpose of it?

You guys moved up from DII right? You guys are in football limbo, doesn't seem fair. I could understand if you were moving 'down' from DI-A.

From what I hear, Div II has less stringent academic requirements than I-AA. The transition period allows players that wouldn't be eligible to play in I-AA to clear out before they are eligilbe for the I-AA playoffs. At least that is what I have heard.

Doc

BlueHen86
November 13th, 2006, 12:45 PM
From what I hear, Div II has less stringent academic requirements than I-AA. The transition period allows players that wouldn't be eligible to play in I-AA to clear out before they are eligilbe for the I-AA playoffs. At least that is what I have heard.

Doc
Okay, thanks.

spelunker64
November 13th, 2006, 12:45 PM
I makes it a committed move instead of universities switching back and forth when they have "loaded" teams". Basketball and Volleyball had a 15 year period and the NCAA backed it down to 5 years last year I believe. Wrestling is eligible this year though I think.

BisBison
November 13th, 2006, 12:46 PM
You are correct. We are going through the D-I self assessment as we speak. This is mostly an academic exercise. No chance the NCAA will bend this rule for us. We haven't gone through the whole process yet. Too bad for us, this is the best Bison F-Ball team I've ever seen, they could go deep into the playoffs. (On a given Saturday). Next year is our last year in purgatory, then hopefully the playoffs.:hurray: :hurray:

BisBison
November 13th, 2006, 12:48 PM
I makes it a committed move instead of universities switching back and forth when they have "loaded" teams". Basketball and Volleyball had a 15 year period and the NCAA backed it down to 5 years last year I believe. Wrestling is eligible this year though I think.

Volleyball and wrestling are both eligible this year. We are allowed one "non-revenue" sport for both men and women. To go D-I before the transition period is complete. We chose wrestling and v-ball.

BeauFoster
November 13th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Speaking of the future of NDSU football, how old (or young) is this years team. Do they look to be loaded again next year or are there a lot of seniors on the two-deep? I could look it up, but you could probably tell me much quicker.

No_Skill
November 13th, 2006, 12:50 PM
You are correct. We are going through the D-I self assessment as we speak. This is mostly an academic exercise. No chance the NCAA will bend this rule for us. We haven't gone through the whole process yet. Too bad for us, this is the best Bison F-Ball team I've ever seen, they could go deep into the playoffs. (On a given Saturday). Next year is our last year in purgatory, then hopefully the playoffs.:hurray: :hurray:

Go deep? I believe this is a National Champion caliber team. :bow:

No_Skill
November 13th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Speaking of the future of NDSU football, how old (or young) is this years team. Do they look to be loaded again next year or are there a lot of seniors on the two-deep? I could look it up, but you could probably tell me much quicker.

Our QB is a Junior. I believe we are losing 13 seniors. We will lose some very talented players (RB, WR, DL), but we have some good talent waiting in the wings.

Hammersmith
November 13th, 2006, 12:55 PM
14 Seniors:

#5 Barry Quickstad - Waseca MN
#15 Travis White - Cedar MN
#20 Craig Dahl - Mankato MN
#21 Ryan Olson - Buffalo MN
#23 Kyle Steffes - Dickinson ND
#30 Tony Bizal - Blaine MN
#42 Alex Kingsley - Fargo ND
#47 Brett Itterman - Aberdeen SD
#58 Brian Dahl - Mankato MN
#74 Adam Tadisch - Wausaukee WI
#78 Jake Erickson - Brooklyn Park MN
#82 Justin Frick - Yankton SD
#73 Justin Buckwalter - Lake Preston SD
#98 Thomas Campbell ,Starkville Miss

White, the Dahl's, Steffes and Frick are all major players and several of the others are close to that level. Still, we've got very good depth at most positions and our QB has one more year left.

BisBison
November 13th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Go deep? I believe this is a National Champion caliber team. :bow:

I think so too, but I was trying to not piss off our UNI friends on this board who don't think we've paid our dues yet.:smiley_wi

MplsBison
November 13th, 2006, 01:02 PM

Won't matter next year either.

However, there are 32 sophomores or younger on the 2 deep this year.

There will be plenty of talent for 2008.

NDSU_grad
November 13th, 2006, 01:07 PM
We lose 3 starters on defense and 4 on offense.

BeauFoster
November 13th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Great info, thanks! Wish you guys luck in the game this weekend

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 13th, 2006, 01:14 PM
How was GSU able to win a national championship their second year in IAA? I guess the rule wasn't around then?

It's a shame you guys can't be in. You are one of the best in IAA this year, no doubts there.

BeauFoster
November 13th, 2006, 01:17 PM
How was GSU able to win a national championship their second year in IAA? I guess the rule wasn't around then?

It's a shame you guys can't be in. You are one of the best in IAA this year, no doubts there.

I believe it deals with teams transitioning from a lower level. GSU was starting up from (kinda) scratch

Hammersmith
November 13th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Rules were different back then. The billion-dollar TV deals prompted the big DI basketball schools to make it more difficult for DII schools to move up.

wapiti
November 13th, 2006, 04:24 PM
It's too bad NDSU will not be in the playoffs.:eek: I think they have a real good chance to win it all.:nod:

bisonguy
November 13th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Rules were different back then. The billion-dollar TV deals prompted the big DI basketball schools to make it more difficult for DII schools to move up.

I don't know if it changed this year or not, but previously DI schools only had a two year playoff ineligible period if they started up a football program (ex. GSU, CCU, SELA).

MplsBison
November 13th, 2006, 04:27 PM
NDSU should've canceled their DII football team and started a DI-AA team a year later.

That only would've been a 3 year transition with this year being the 1st eligible year.

UMass922
November 13th, 2006, 04:34 PM
if it is not going to happen then every team from #5 on needs to be buped up a spot in the rankings as far as playoffs go.

Doesn't matter. Poll rankings have nothing to do with selecting teams for the playoffs.

NDSUFREAK
November 13th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Doesn't matter. Poll rankings have nothing to do with selecting teams for the playoffs.

Doesnt the GPI do that?

UMass922
November 13th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Doesnt the GPI do that?

Nope. A selection committee does.

TypicalTribe
November 13th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Personally, I think NDSU is the best I-AA team in the country this year.

Part of me has been wondering where they would be ranked if they were playoff eligible. Not sure if it's true, but I think it's possible that they get held back in the rankings a bit because it wouldn't be good for the division to not have it's #1 ranked team in the playoffs. Just a thought and I was wondering what anyone else thought.

shakdaddy3
November 13th, 2006, 06:38 PM
i think the teams ahead of them would still be ahead of them...

BisBison
November 13th, 2006, 06:42 PM
i think the teams ahead of them would still be ahead of them...

I gotta agree with you on this one. We didn't start the year out high enough to be ranked any higher now without the top ranked teams losing more than one game. A #4 ranking isn't so bad for a fourth year transistion team though, as long as it comes with a GWFC championship.:hurray: :hurray:

grebdnodak
November 13th, 2006, 06:58 PM
File this under "I have a friend who has a friend who says that...."

But anyway, I have a friend who has a friend that says that NDSU may not be eligible for the I-AA playoffs this year, but may in fact be invited to play in a bowl game. The kind of toilet bowl that Minnesota has gone to the past few years.

As a lifelong Bison fan, I would consider that a decent way to bide time until the actual playoff opportunities open up in 2008!

Husky Alum
November 13th, 2006, 09:22 PM
They can't play in a bowl game.

For the umpteenth time a team must have 6 wins over a I-A team to be able to accept a bowl bid.

NDSU, as great of a team as you are, and as loyal of a fan base as you have, and as wonderful a time as you showed me at the NDSU-NU game - y'all only have one I-A win.

You've got a big fan here in Boston, rest assured. My weekend in Fargo was wonderful - except for the 3 hours at the game.

BisBison
November 13th, 2006, 09:25 PM

For the umpteenth time a team must have 6 wins over a I-A team to be able to accept a bowl bid.

NDSU, as great of a team as you are, and as loyal of a fan base as you have, and as wonderful a time as you showed me at the NDSU-NU game - y'all only have one I-A win.

You've got a big fan here in Boston, rest assured. My weekend in Fargo was wonderful - except for the 3 hours at the game.

I have a friend who has a friend who says Husky Alum is correct:nod: :nod: Glad you had a good time in Fargo. You have a class coach,:bow: given a little time he'll get your program going.:nod:

No_Skill
November 13th, 2006, 09:25 PM

Awww, ya just had to crush my dreams didn't ya. :D

BisBison
November 13th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Yeah this sucks, but the best Bison team ever ends their season Saturday. Should be a great game though. Rival game and for the conference championship. :hurray: :hurray: If this doesn't pack the dome I don't know what will. This team:hurray: and particularly the seniors :bow: deserve a sell-out.:nod: :nod:

Husky Alum
November 13th, 2006, 09:55 PM
I have a friend who has a friend who says Husky Alum is correct:nod: :nod: Glad you had a good time in Fargo. You have a class coach,:bow: given a little time he'll get your program going.:nod:

After a rough start this year with 5 roadies to begin the season, we've actually played real well for a young team - playing a then ranked Richmond within a TD on the road, beating UDel at home, and a Top 10 UNH at home.

If we beat URI at home this weekend, we finish 5-6 and 4-4 in the A-10, which after our 1-4 start isn't bad for a team that returns almost everyone next season.

UNH SUPERFAN
November 14th, 2006, 06:15 AM
After a rough start this year with 5 roadies to begin the season, we've actually played real well for a young team - playing a then ranked Richmond within a TD on the road, beating UDel at home, and a Top 10 UNH at home.

If we beat URI at home this weekend, we finish 5-6 and 4-4 in the A-10, which after our 1-4 start isn't bad for a team that returns almost everyone next season.
YOU ARE CORRECT, YOU WERE EXTREMELY TOUGH.

UNH SUPERFAN
November 14th, 2006, 06:17 AM
WE HAVE FAMILY IN FARGO SO WE FOLLOW NDSU A LITTLE BIT. WHAT STATES DO MOST OF THEIR PLAYERS COME FROM YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT? yOU ALWAYS SEEM TO BE VERY COMPETITIVE.

spelunker64
November 14th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Players mostly come from ND, MN, SD, and WI, and our coaches have a good pipeline through TX (D-Coor. played for Texas) and some southern JUCO schools.

Go Bison
November 14th, 2006, 07:47 AM
NDSU still has to beat SDSU. One thing I think is unfortunate is that the Great West will not have any teams in the playoffs even thought it is one of the best conferences.

RabidRabbit
November 14th, 2006, 09:01 AM
NDSU still has to beat SDSU. One thing I think is unfortunate is that the Great West will not have any teams in the playoffs even thought it is one of the best conferences.

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: When 3 of 5 schools are still in transition, 1 eligible school playing with 43? schollies, the GWFC only had POLY possible for the play-offs. Poly's offense didn't appear this year, and voila, no GWFC participant.

IF ALL teams in GWFC were eligible, at best, we'd see 2 teams in, and that's Bison & Bunnies. However, SDSU must still beat NDSU in Fargo to make the 7 D-I wins.

Imposing season by the Bison. They would have been a seeded host team if they were eligible.

WYOBISONMAN
November 14th, 2006, 01:27 PM
But Rabid.............you are not going to beat us.......:smiley_wi

RabidRabbit
November 14th, 2006, 01:30 PM
But Rabid.............you are not going to beat us.......:smiley_wi

AGS - Wyo :thumbsup:

GrizFoo
November 14th, 2006, 01:53 PM
No one gave the bunnies a chance two years ago. Rabid is right AGS.

GtFllsGriz
November 14th, 2006, 02:06 PM
I have to agree that NDSU may have one of the best teams in the country this year. I also think that they are going to become a program that will be very tough every year.

Many of you Bison fans may think that your "best team ever" was wasted on a transition year but there are factors that cause "those best team ever" teams to be sitting home on Thanksgiving. Things like injuries to your best player in the last game of the season, field conditions that don't favor your team etc.

At the end of the day there will only be one team left standing and anything is possible on any given Saturday. Just think, you will always be able to say that you had the best team in the country this year and no one can say FOR SURE that you didn't.

It takes alot of things, besides talent, to win the NC. A lot of stars have to fall in place for it to happen no matter how talented your team is. There are a lot of "best team ever's" that never brought home the trophy.

Enjoy your season Bison fans, you have an awesome team and your time will come!

Bison05
November 14th, 2006, 02:12 PM
I have to agree that NDSU may have one of the best teams in the country this year. I also think that they are going to become a program that will be very tough every year.

Many of you Bison fans may think that your "best team ever" was wasted on a transition year but there are factors that cause "those best team ever" teams to be sitting home on Thanksgiving. Things like injuries to your best player in the last game of the season, field conditions that don't favor your team etc.

At the end of the day there will only be one team left standing and anything is possible on any given Saturday. Just think, you will always be able to say that you had the best team in the country this year and no one can say FOR SURE that you didn't.

It takes alot of things, besides talent, to win the NC. A lot of stars have to fall in place for it to happen no matter how talented your team is. There are a lot of "best team ever's" that never brought home the trophy.

Enjoy your season Bison fans, you have an awesome team and your time will come!

Trust us we know. Our 2000 season is a prime example of this.

WYOBISONMAN
November 14th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Personally, I have enjoyed the hell out of this season. We had a thread on the Bisonville board about whether or not this was the best Bison team ever. I just find it very difficult to compare a great team this year to a great team from the 80's. Different times, different needs and different competition. No doubt that this year was one of the best, and I do suspect we will continue to field some solid teams.

DI-AA has been very good to us. Our fellow DI-AA schools have been great. I have no complaints about this year at all. Hey, to be where we are in the polls with a year left in transition is pretty cool!!!

GtFllsGriz
November 14th, 2006, 02:22 PM
What happened in 2000?

bkrownd
November 14th, 2006, 02:40 PM
North Dakota won't make it past UNO in the playoffs. HTH ;)

bison95
November 14th, 2006, 03:26 PM
What happened in 2000?
Started rolling through the playoffs, Killed NWMS, and hammered UNO in the quarters, but lost 2 qb's in that game, then lost in the semis.

Go Bison
November 14th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Started rolling through the playoffs, Killed NWMS, and hammered UNO in the quarters, but lost 2 qb's in that game, then lost in the semis.

The first two games were on the road and everyone in Fargo and DII expected the semis game to be at the Fargodome. Somehow, the NCAA awarded the game to Delta State and their field was an absolute mess. Most people referred to it as kitty litter.

bison95
November 14th, 2006, 03:50 PM
The first two games were on the road and everyone in Fargo and DII expected the semis game to be at the Fargodome. Somehow, the NCAA awarded the game to Delta State and their field was an absolute mess. Most people referred to it as kitty litter.

This is true, almost made the treck to La. Was a little pissed about the semis not being in fargo, but we got a chance to play it on the field.

darell1976
November 14th, 2006, 03:57 PM
North Dakota won't make it past UNO in the playoffs. HTH ;)

Oh yes they will!!!!:nod:

JBB
November 14th, 2006, 07:25 PM
please:

www.d2football.com

We have our own playoffs to worry about.

NDSUFREAK
November 14th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Oh yes they will!!!!:nod:

Yeah right, I wont be surprised if they dont get past the 1st Round. (Not to bring them up even more, but..) How did those basketball scores go with those Big Ten schools? Lost by 40 points........:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

NDSUFREAK
November 14th, 2006, 07:40 PM
ugh, dont remind me of that year. (2000) We were cruising through everyone (besides UNO in the regular season but we go them back HUGE in the playoffs where it counted the most) and then we lose 2 QBs and our 3rd string has to play in the first start and biggest start of his career. that is a lot to ask for......