View Full Version : Round 2: Richmond @ CCU

kdinva
November 29th, 2014, 03:22 PM
will be a great contest near the Beach.........I hope about 11,000 can cram their way into Brooks Stadium....

zilla
November 29th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Nice win today Spiders! Looking forward to a competitive game next week in Conway.

Curious...does the Richmond fan base travel well to football games?

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 29th, 2014, 05:09 PM
We don't have a huge fan base but I think a fair number will travel for this one, given the location. I'd guess 1000, give or take a hundred or 2.

keg97
November 29th, 2014, 05:41 PM
We don't have a huge fan base but I think a fair number will travel for this one, given the location. I'd guess 1000, give or take a hundred or 2.
I think you're being overly optimistic. The Brickhouse was barely half full today for a home game.

I'd love to make the trip down for the game, but the kids have their all star swim meet.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 29th, 2014, 05:49 PM
^^You're right. But our fan base is small but loyal. We also have a strong contingent from Georgia.

We shall see.

MacThor
November 29th, 2014, 06:59 PM
We always have a decent contingent at away games. Student section was pathetic today, but it's always like that for the first round of the playoffs on Thanksgiving weekend. Actually, the student section is always pathetic for an on-campus stadium and a playoff-contending team.

THE HERD
November 29th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Richmond wins this......that is all.

Sly Fox
November 29th, 2014, 07:32 PM
Coach Rocco certainly knows his way to Conway. This will be a highly entertaining matchup between teams that my Flames have seen up-close this fall.

Bisonwinagn
November 29th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Richmond wins this......that is all.

I disagree. CCU had good success in the playoff's last year and had a bye week to regroup. Unless they have injuries I'm unaware of I have CCU 42-31.

heath
November 29th, 2014, 08:48 PM
Allow 460 yds. to Morgan St.? Look for a high scoring game where Richmond gets beat

Eight Legger
November 29th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Allow 460 yds. to Morgan St.? Look for a high scoring game where Richmond gets beat

We may well lose, and our defense probably will be the reason if we do, but I wouldn't cite this as the reason why we will lose. We were up 22-0 after the first quarter today, so Morgan State had plenty of time to throw the ball down by 3+ TDs the rest of the way.

keg97
November 29th, 2014, 09:55 PM
We may well lose, and our defense probably will be the reason if we do, but I wouldn't cite this as the reason why we will lose. We were up 22-0 after the first quarter today, so Morgan State had plenty of time to throw the ball down by 3+ TDs the rest of the way.
Yeah game was over at 22-0 for all intents and purposes. Whatever yardage MSU piled up, it was in garbage time. This is the same D that shut down Nova.

jmrepak
November 30th, 2014, 11:28 AM
This is about the worst possible scenario for me. My two schools facing off. Last time they played each other I was getting my MBA at Robins. Richmond owned us that game but 2010 was one of our worst seasons. I pulled for Coastal then and I'll for Coastal now.

KPSUL
November 30th, 2014, 11:41 AM
Yeh, but does Coach Rocco know his way up the playoff ladder? The Morgan State game tells us nothing. CCU wins a close one at home.

tribefan40
November 30th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Yeh, but does Coach Rocco know his way up the playoff ladder? The Morgan State game tells us nothing. CCU wins a close one at home.

Richmond knows its way. As much as it pains me to say it, I think Richmond pulls away in the second half, 49-31.

NY Crusader 2010
November 30th, 2014, 02:09 PM
UR 31 CCU 21

SpiderJPO
November 30th, 2014, 09:09 PM
Expecting a great game and looking forward to first trip to CCU.

paward
December 1st, 2014, 08:14 AM
Few weeks back I did not see us making it to round one. Now I love our chances to win the next game. Will we? We shall see. I hope the defense that played against Villanova show up Saturday. I am looking forward to a tough game with CC.

Stonewall D
December 1st, 2014, 08:21 AM
Few weeks back I did not see us making it to round one. Now I love our chances to win the next game. Will we? We shall see. I hope the defense that played against Villanova show up Saturday. I am looking forward to a tough game with CC.

It is all up to you paward.

bodoyle
December 1st, 2014, 02:06 PM
Expecting a great game and looking forward to first trip to CCU.

Feel free to stop by the 's tailgate. Next to the Library. We will boo you, but you're more than welcome to come over :) We'll be there around 8am, but unfortunately a few guys short.

SpiderJPO
December 1st, 2014, 06:54 PM
Where is the best general lot for visiting fans to tailgate?

Ivytalk
December 1st, 2014, 06:55 PM
CCU by a field goal.

CasualFan
December 1st, 2014, 07:26 PM
Where is the best general lot for visiting fans to tailgate?
See map: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/coas/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/2013_FB_Game_Day_Parking_Map.pdf
It says 2013, but the link is from the 2014 guide on the athletics website.

Half of lot E and all of D are closed for construction. I'd probably shoot for MM if you are early (Baxley Hall) or HH (Science parking lot). GG has lots of room, but it is way out there. I'm not sure how busy C (Wall Building) gets. It feels like you are disconnected from campus there.

Here's the link to the complete guide: http://www.goccusports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082114aaa.html

bostonspider
December 2nd, 2014, 09:44 AM
Spiders will be playing with heavy hearts after the death of Kurt Schmitz. Kurt was starter his freshman year in 2010 before 4 concussions lead to his being medically unable to play. He sadly concealed the first three concussions from the training staff, and it was not until he woke up in the hospital after the 4th that his father was able to talk him into giving up playing football. It is unknown at this time if his death is directly related to his football injuries..

http://www.thecollegianur.com/article/2014/12/schmitz

http://www.thecollegianur.com/article/2014/04/using-head-concussions-making-impact-richmond-football

bodoyle
December 2nd, 2014, 12:57 PM
There is a huge parking lot right when you enter CCU off 501. It's a decent walk to the stadium, but there is also a shuttle. I've never parked out there, but it's always pretty full.

knucklehead
December 2nd, 2014, 01:04 PM
UR 38 CCU 35

kdinva
December 4th, 2014, 02:25 PM
CCU "hoping" for 10,000 to show up.........I think it will happen. A good number of fans & boosters should have anticipated a Dec. 6 home game a few weeks ago.........IMO

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2014/12/03/4646600/coastal-carolina-football-hopeful.html?sp=/99/167/

MacThor
December 4th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Color commentator for the game.......Mickey Matthews. http://jmusportsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Mickey-Legendary.jpg

knucklehead
December 4th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Last yyear they Had Al Groh call some playoff games so why not Mickey? WOW.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 4th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Color commentator for the game.......Mickey Matthews.

That chin is too bare.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-sdg5HvCmt_E/VIDvkWh-ekI/AAAAAAAAAtE/LOcusdvcQMc/w426-h427/Mickey%2BMatthews.jpgThere, that's better.

WileECoyote06
December 4th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Coastal 42 Richmond 31

Pards Rule
December 5th, 2014, 08:41 AM
Good article in today's NY Times sports section about Coach Moglia.

UNH72Plus
December 5th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Color commentator for the game.......Mickey Matthews. http://jmusportsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Mickey-Legendary.jpg

Just so long as you keep him up in the booth, because you know if he's working the sidelines he'll be on the field more than the players!! lol.

PantherRob82
December 6th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Coastal is the first on the board. 3-0. 1:11 1st

NoDak 4 Ever
December 6th, 2014, 12:45 PM
2 things I'm learning from this game.

Coastal is getting held down. If Richmond can get going on offense, the Beach Chickens will be in trouble.

Mickey Matthews is ridiculous.

MacThor
December 6th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Richmond's play calling has been atrocious. Run up the middle or throw it deep to a covered receiver. CC is giving them the short passing game and they're not even trying it.

Also, why have instant replay if you're not going to reverse that touchdown? That ball is moving on the ground. Period.

SpiderSafety75
December 6th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Cripes...between the Spiders getting jobbed by the officials (no pass interference? REALLY?) and Rocco's lackluster coaching (let's throw 15 yard patterns time after time while Coastal blitzes...and no, we won't go for it on fourth down on a soft field, we'll try the longest FG of the season instead) it's a miracle they are still in it...

MacThor
December 6th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Rocco is a terrible in-game coach. The players and school love him. He's like the Andy Reid of the CAA.

SpiderSafety75
December 6th, 2014, 02:01 PM
...and yes, it's hard to believe Mickey's getting paid to subtract from the broadcast. Cripes, at least pretend you have some idea what's going on. ('Do they have replay? Oh they do? Oh, OK.')

NoDak 4 Ever
December 6th, 2014, 02:04 PM
...and yes, it's hard to believe Mickey's getting paid to subtract from the broadcast. Cripes, at least pretend you have some idea what's going on. ('Do they have replay? Oh they do? Oh, OK.')

To be fair, because of him we know everybody who is from Virginia on either team.

MacThor
December 6th, 2014, 02:05 PM

It's almost like he never coached an FCS playoff game. At least he got the no-catch right on the touchdown, unlike the officials.

SpiderSafety75
December 6th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Rocco is a terrible in-game coach. The players and school love him. He's like the Andy Reid of the CAA.

I don't love him. I've been complaining about him loudly since the UNH game when he wouldn't go for it on 4th and short deep inside UNH territory early in the game. I turned to my friend right then and said, 'Rocco just lost the game. But he'll be able to say lots of nice things after a close loss.' Which he proceeded to do.

UR will never be a real player again under his watch. They will make the playoffs every 4 years or so, and go out in the first or second round, and there will be lots of talk about how close they are. But they won't really be a factor...just like his teams at Liberty.

- - - Updated - - -

At least he got the no-catch right on the touchdown, unlike the officials.

Well played. xthumbsupx

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 6th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Rocco never had a real signature win imo until the Villanova game. Liberty fans in general were not sad to see him go. With that said, CCU is legitimately good. They've been so all year....

MacThor
December 6th, 2014, 02:27 PM
When you're happier with Turner Gill as your coach, that's sayin' something.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 6th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Rocco never had a real signature win imo until the Villanova game. Liberty fans in general were not sad to see him go. With that said, CCU is legitimately good. They've been so all year....

Rocco took Liberty to a level they could even dream about the playoffs in the first place.

Beachdude
December 6th, 2014, 02:31 PM
29-8 Coastal. CCU playing good D today.

MacThor
December 6th, 2014, 02:47 PM
So...Moglia and Rocco were both available in 2011. I wonder who made the better hire.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

CasualFan
December 6th, 2014, 02:49 PM
So...Moglia and Rocco were both available in 2011. I wonder who made the better hire.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
Go back and look at all the crap CCU took for hiring Moglia though.

ejjones
December 6th, 2014, 02:52 PM
This game is over; I saw the coach ask the trainer to make some tee times for some afternoon / twilight myrtle beach golf.

MacThor
December 6th, 2014, 02:57 PM
This is absolutely humiliating. Time to put in the nephew.

MacThor
December 6th, 2014, 03:06 PM
So we're punting, down 4 scores in the 4th.

Beachdude
December 6th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Coastal Backups in on Defense now.

ElCid
December 6th, 2014, 03:44 PM
Good job Coastal! Congrats!

kdinva
December 6th, 2014, 04:15 PM
I thought this would have been a 7 point game........Coach Mog had the game plan, it appeared.....and I'm sure CCU fans will flood Tom Yeager's twitter page....

ur2k
December 6th, 2014, 05:13 PM
Congrats, coastal. You kicked our ass. Not sure what our offensive coordinator was calling out there considering the pressure that you all were bringing. Good luck next week.

SpiderSafety75
December 6th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Congrats to Coastal...the better team won today, and by a mile the best coaching staff.

Mickey, hold on to that day job.

Oh, that's right...too late...:p

Beachdude
December 6th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Thanks guys. I was expecting a close game going in, but a shoot out, so was surprised that the first half was such a defensive battle.

Bisonator
December 6th, 2014, 06:16 PM
Congrats Chants! See ya next week!xthumbsupx

kdinva
December 6th, 2014, 07:24 PM
attendance was 5600.......CCU players deserved better....

jmrepak
December 6th, 2014, 07:45 PM
attendance was 5600.......CCU players deserved better....
Honestly I've probably never said this about an announced attendance figure but that number sounds light. The stands were pretty full, our upper section was close to sold out, our students did a good job of showing up, and Richmond brought a good contingent. I would have guessed closer to 7000. 1PM games are our worst for attendance though. We always prefer 6 o'clock games.

OL FU
December 6th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Congrats to CCU!!!!!