4. Norvell (1-15.54)

5. Lujan (1-18.54)

Yards per attempts:

1. Roberson (8.86 yds per attempt)

2. Wentz (8.83 yds)

3. Lujan (8.06 yds)

4. Norvell (7.75 yds)

5. Iannotti (7.02 yds)

These are three indicators mentioned in article I've read on the subject----one note: some players have played 12 some 11 and Iannotti only 9.5 games

Redbird Recon
November 28th, 2014, 11:09 AM
What are the rushing numbers?

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2014, 11:43 AM
I know who the one they wont soon forget about...... Joe Flacco!

Sycamore62
November 28th, 2014, 11:51 AM

Kurt Warner?

smoothjack
November 28th, 2014, 11:56 AM
Total Yards:

1. Sumner -- 1246 yds (4 games) 311.5 ypg

2. Mike Perish---2957 yds (11 games) 268.8 ypg

3. Trenton Norvell--2891 yds (12 games) 240.9 ypg

4. Carson Wentz--2287 yds (12 games) 190.6 ypg

5. Mark Iannotti--2241 yds (9.5 games) 235.9 ypg

6. Roberson---2198 yds (12 games) 183.2 ypg

TD to Interception Ratio:

1. Sumner - 12TDs/4 ints 3.0 ratio

2. Mark Iannotti---22 Tds/8 ints--2.75 ratio

3. Roberson---21 TDs/ 9 ints---2.33 ratio

4. Norvell---24 TDs/11 ints---2.18 ratio

5. Perish---17 TDs/ 8 ints---2.13 ratio

6. Wentz--19 TDs/9 ints----2.11 ratio

TDs to Attempted passes:

1. Sumner ( 1-10.67)

2. Roberson (1 TD every 11.81 attempts)

3. Wentz (1-14.47)

4. Iannotti (1-14.5)

5. Norvell (1-15.54)

6. Lujan (1-18.54)

Yards per attempts:

1. Sumner (9.73 yds)

2. Roberson (8.86 yds per attempt)

3. Wentz (8.83 yds)

4. Lujan (8.06 yds)

5. Norvell (7.75 yds)

6. Iannotti (7.02 yds)

These are three indicators mentioned in article I've read on the subject----one note: some players have played 12 some 11 and Iannotti only 9.5 games

Sumner did throw 4 passes vs Missouri. I did not include those yards in his ypg average. I did include his interception in the Missouri game.

344Johnson
November 28th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Prepare this thread for an invasion of ndsu fans claiming how they wouldn't trade wentz for anyone and how he is better than the others.

Sycamore62
November 28th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Prepare this thread for an invasion of ndsu fans claiming how they wouldn't trade wentz for anyone and how he is better than the others.

Im a complete homer but if i were picking a team, I'd take Perish. Imo, the only knock against him is that he isnt mobile. Smart decision making accurate passer with strong arm

FargoBison
November 28th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Sumner...next question.

BisonFan02
November 28th, 2014, 12:21 PM

Notre Dame sucks.

Grizalltheway
November 28th, 2014, 12:21 PM

I know I would take the top 4 or 5 QBs in the Big Sky over the best in the MVFC...xreadx

SUPharmacist
November 28th, 2014, 12:42 PM
I know I would take the top 4 or 5 QBs in the Big Sky over the best in the MVFC...xreadx

It is hard to compare between conferences, 4 or 5 seems high to me. Certainly 2 or 3 from the Big Sky though, but very different styles of football, looking forward to seeing how it matches up in the playoffs.

Grizalltheway
November 28th, 2014, 01:13 PM
It is hard to compare between conferences, 4 or 5 seems high to me. Certainly 2 or 3 from the Big Sky though, but very different styles of football, looking forward to seeing how it matches up in the playoffs.

In no particular order, Adams, Johnson, Arias, Prukop, Saffron, Brown...

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 28th, 2014, 01:17 PM
I haven't seen the Ill State QB this year.

Sumner, when healthy, is probably the best QB in the league this year.

But IMO, Carson is right up there with anyone. He just doesn't need to throw it 30-40 times/game, so he'll never have the gaudy stats.

underdawg
November 28th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Sumner name is not in the MVFC stats I looked at on their site

FargoBison
November 28th, 2014, 01:33 PM

Well he missed 2/3's of the regular season.

smoothjack
November 28th, 2014, 01:34 PM

No prob. I just calculated them from espn. Thanks for putting it together underdawg.

underdawg
November 28th, 2014, 01:35 PM
You guys can start your own thread then--this is MVFC who have played the prerequisite amount of games to get in their final PASSING stats

- - - Updated - - -

Younon-mvfc guys can start your own thread then--this is MVFC who have played the prerequisite amount of games to get in their final PASSING stats

Sycamore62
November 28th, 2014, 01:44 PM
None of the Big Sky QBs were the best MVFC QB

answered that

Grizalltheway
November 28th, 2014, 02:01 PM

answered that

Well, you've got me there.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 28th, 2014, 02:13 PM

answered that

I hope NDSU gets to play a couple of BSC teams in the playoffs to see how good these guys are. MSU's QB is not 100% but he was running/throwing for a ton of yards earlier in the season. I want to see EWU's VA this year. Great defense vs a video game offense.

Defense wins championships and NDSU has continued to build on that philosophy.

Redbird Recon
November 28th, 2014, 03:44 PM
I'm not arguing that Roberson is the MVFC's best QB but not taking into account rushing numbers is ignorant.

UNIFanSince1983
November 28th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Sumner may actually be the best, but he only played in 4 games so it is awfully hard for him to be the best QB in the conference this year. Perish was probably the best we played against.

The conference was not flush with QB talent this year for sure. Running back talent though was abundant.

Panther-State
November 28th, 2014, 06:16 PM
I don't think the league has any really good passers except for Sumner. Hopefully Kollmorgen works whatever kinks he has in his shoulder, elbow or head going into next year because he would've been the clear #1 with Sumner out for so long. Not sure what's wrong with the kid but he's been terrible since the NDSU concussion last year.

clenz
November 28th, 2014, 07:35 PM
I don't think the league has any really good passers except for Sumner. Hopefully Kollmorgen works whatever kinks he has in his shoulder, elbow or head going into next year because he would've been the clear #1 with Sumner out for so long. Not sure what's wrong with the kid but he's been terrible since the NDSU concussion last year.
There was no shoulder injury… quit playing that bull**** narrative

Oh, and he still threw for more yards, completions, tds and less int than carnes did in much more limited action… and its not close

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

clenz
November 28th, 2014, 08:16 PM
The fact of the matter with Brion getting the PT this year is simple...

He was brought in from Nebraska and likely promised a lot of PT. He got decent PT last year as a RB/WR/KR/QB. He thinks, however, that he is a pocket passer. I've talked with guys who were on the team with him last year. It's also why he doesn't tuck the ball and run. He thinks he is a Peyton Manning/Tom Brady style QB (note---not at their level but that type). He completely ignores his speed and wants to beat people through the air. Well, the pressure to play him from the second he stepped on campus was strong, and likely stronger coming into this season since he was the starter at the end of the season last year due to Sawyer's 2 concussions.

Sawyer wasn't chosen as the starter until the Friday before the Iowa game (I believe). They never put full confidence in Sawyer this season (even though he's done nothing to prove he shouldn't have it.). We all know how bad the play calling the first 7 games of the season were (SDSU and before) and how bad the offense looked - no matter if Carnes or Sawyer were on the field. The coaches needed a scape goat to blame that deflected as much attention away from them as possible. What's the best way for an offensive staff to do this? Blame the starting QB, put the back up in, and actually start giving your best player the damn ball.

At this point the argument is - "Brion is 8-0 as a starter at UNI, he HAS to play". I don't disagree, per say, but there is a MAJOR flaw in that argument that is completely obvious to anyone who has watched UNI this season...David Johnson

In games Sawyer started this year DJ had games of 13, 18, 18, 14, 24, 14, and 9 carries

In games Brion has started DJ has had games of 29, 29, 28, 19, and 31 carries.

Yep...DJ had as many 20 carry games with Sawyer starting as he has had less than 20 with Brion.

In 5 games with Brion he has had 136 carries - or 26 more than he did in 7 games with Sawyer starting.

If you don't think UNI doesn't win these last 5 games with Sawyer back there compared to Brion with DJ playing the games he did then you're nuts.

Oh, not just that, the OC has also completely changed the play calling now. With Sawyer it was all 15 plus yards down-field to the sideline. With Brion now it's all less than 10 yards and inside the numbers. All high % passes and he still completes less than 50% of them and has been bailed out by amazing catches a couple times.

The real, real, kicker of that kind of play calling - in 2010 and 2011 we had Tirrell Rennie. He was essentially Brion Carnes but a hell of a lot better at throwing (even though everyone thought he couldn't throw) and a hell of a lot better at running and guess what plays were called for him? 15 plus yard sideline routes. Had the coaches figured out how to run a spread, quick it, triple option look like they are with Brion right now with Rennie UNI would have had a very different 2010 and 2011 season.

Here are the season stats for both QBs

GP
GS
Comp
Att
Comp %
Yds
TD
INT
Eff

Sawyer

Brion

In the 8th game Sawyer played (Missouri State the last week of the season) he played 2 plays after Brion went off with an injury on a cheap shot. Both hand offs to DJ which resulted in a TD. He was cheered wildly by the fans when he came on the field....the fans were very "meh" when Carnes came back. The fans love the winning, but most realize Sawyer is still the better QB.

Now here's the really fun part - Brion isn't back next year and Sawyer is. The coaches better hope that Sawyer is one of the mentally strongest QBs in the nation if they want to use him for his red-shirt senior season. He went from unchallenged starter his entire freshman year to watching this transfer come in and start taking his snaps, to the coaches not sure which one should start, to completely losing his job all while putting up better stats. Gee, I wonder what that will do to a QBs psyche?

If Sawyer isn't 100% put in charge of the team by the coaches from the first day of spring ball they might as well not even play him and find one of the rFr or rSo we will have and ride them for the next couple years - or until they bring in a transfer that can't play a real QB and try to force him into the starting job. I hope Sawyer gets what he deserves from this coaching staff next season, we are sure as hell going to need it - losing DJ, top 3 WR, top 2 DT on defense...next year could be ugly if we don't get the QB spot squared away

To be fair, the offense that I've seen the last 2 or 3 weeks is nice to see. Jet sweeps, WR screens, slants, triple option, etc... but the offense is still pretty anemic and too reliant on DJ. Should anything happen to DJ we might as well just punt of first down and hope the defense scores 21 points again.

NDSUtk
November 30th, 2014, 10:18 AM
In no particular order, Adams, Johnson, Arias, Prukop, Saffron, Brown...
I would take Sumner's stat line and play over Prokup's yesterday.

Sumner: 19/28 (68%), 249 yards, 2 TD

Prokup: 19/36 (52%), 280 yards, 1TD

Gil Dobie
November 30th, 2014, 10:34 AM

Did he play in the MVFC? ;)

caribbeanhen
November 30th, 2014, 10:37 AM
Did he play in the MVFC? ;)

geographically speaking he did

PantherRob82
November 30th, 2014, 10:39 AM
The fact of the matter with Brion getting the PT this year is simple...

He was brought in from Nebraska and likely promised a lot of PT. He got decent PT last year as a RB/WR/KR/QB. He thinks, however, that he is a pocket passer. I've talked with guys who were on the team with him last year. It's also why he doesn't tuck the ball and run. He thinks he is a Peyton Manning/Tom Brady style QB (note---not at their level but that type). He completely ignores his speed and wants to beat people through the air. Well, the pressure to play him from the second he stepped on campus was strong, and likely stronger coming into this season since he was the starter at the end of the season last year due to Sawyer's 2 concussions.

Sawyer wasn't chosen as the starter until the Friday before the Iowa game (I believe). They never put full confidence in Sawyer this season (even though he's done nothing to prove he shouldn't have it.). We all know how bad the play calling the first 7 games of the season were (SDSU and before) and how bad the offense looked - no matter if Carnes or Sawyer were on the field. The coaches needed a scape goat to blame that deflected as much attention away from them as possible. What's the best way for an offensive staff to do this? Blame the starting QB, put the back up in, and actually start giving your best player the damn ball.

At this point the argument is - "Brion is 8-0 as a starter at UNI, he HAS to play". I don't disagree, per say, but there is a MAJOR flaw in that argument that is completely obvious to anyone who has watched UNI this season...David Johnson

In games Sawyer started this year DJ had games of 13, 18, 18, 14, 24, 14, and 9 carries

In games Brion has started DJ has had games of 29, 29, 28, 19, and 31 carries.

Yep...DJ had as many 20 carry games with Sawyer starting as he has had less than 20 with Brion.

In 5 games with Brion he has had 136 carries - or 26 more than he did in 7 games with Sawyer starting.

If you don't think UNI doesn't win these last 5 games with Sawyer back there compared to Brion with DJ playing the games he did then you're nuts.

Oh, not just that, the OC has also completely changed the play calling now. With Sawyer it was all 15 plus yards down-field to the sideline. With Brion now it's all less than 10 yards and inside the numbers. All high % passes and he still completes less than 50% of them and has been bailed out by amazing catches a couple times.

The real, real, kicker of that kind of play calling - in 2010 and 2011 we had Tirrell Rennie. He was essentially Brion Carnes but a hell of a lot better at throwing (even though everyone thought he couldn't throw) and a hell of a lot better at running and guess what plays were called for him? 15 plus yard sideline routes. Had the coaches figured out how to run a spread, quick it, triple option look like they are with Brion right now with Rennie UNI would have had a very different 2010 and 2011 season.

Here are the season stats for both QBs

GP
GS
Comp
Att
Comp %
Yds
TD
INT
Eff

Sawyer

Brion

In the 8th game Sawyer played (Missouri State the last week of the season) he played 2 plays after Brion went off with an injury on a cheap shot. Both hand offs to DJ which resulted in a TD. He was cheered wildly by the fans when he came on the field....the fans were very "meh" when Carnes came back. The fans love the winning, but most realize Sawyer is still the better QB.

Now here's the really fun part - Brion isn't back next year and Sawyer is. The coaches better hope that Sawyer is one of the mentally strongest QBs in the nation if they want to use him for his red-shirt senior season. He went from unchallenged starter his entire freshman year to watching this transfer come in and start taking his snaps, to the coaches not sure which one should start, to completely losing his job all while putting up better stats. Gee, I wonder what that will do to a QBs psyche?

If Sawyer isn't 100% put in charge of the team by the coaches from the first day of spring ball they might as well not even play him and find one of the rFr or rSo we will have and ride them for the next couple years - or until they bring in a transfer that can't play a real QB and try to force him into the starting job. I hope Sawyer gets what he deserves from this coaching staff next season, we are sure as hell going to need it - losing DJ, top 3 WR, top 2 DT on defense...next year could be ugly if we don't get the QB spot squared away

To be fair, the offense that I've seen the last 2 or 3 weeks is nice to see. Jet sweeps, WR screens, slants, triple option, etc... but the offense is still pretty anemic and too reliant on DJ. Should anything happen to DJ we might as well just punt of first down and hope the defense scores 21 points again.

Great breakdown.

Gil Dobie
November 30th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Have to go with Sumner, from what I've see this year.

ValleyChamp
November 30th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Perish is better than Summer or anyone else.

Sycamore62
November 30th, 2014, 12:18 PM
I think if Perish played on some other teams in the MVFC they would dominate. Just not on an offense that wants to run with the QB

clenz
November 30th, 2014, 12:24 PM
I think if Perish played on some other teams in the MVFC they would dominate. Just not on an offense that wants to run with the QB
UNI with Perrish would damn near unstoppable

Sycamore62
November 30th, 2014, 12:41 PM
UNI with Perrish would damn near unstoppable

They are who I actually had in mind although the line had some holes when I saw them. The biggest problem with MP is (and I gladly accept this) that he will get pressure that he has no chance of getting out of, and will make an effort that costs a lot of yards

jacksfan3317
November 30th, 2014, 12:48 PM
It is hard to base who the best QB in the MVFC is because Sumner was injured for 8 games. Here are his last five games: 1550 passing yards, 14tds, and 3 ints. Say he wasn't injured for 8 games I believe these would be close to his numbers if not better: 4100 yards passing, 38TD'S, 7INT. So in my own opinion with a healthy Sumner there isn't a better one in the conference.

Sycamore62
November 30th, 2014, 12:59 PM
It is hard to base who the best QB in the MVFC is because Sumner was injured for 8 games. Here are his last five games: 1550 passing yards, 14tds, and 3 ints. Say he wasn't injured for 8 games I believe these would be close to his numbers if not better: 4100 yards passing, 38TD'S, 7INT. So in my own opinion with a healthy Sumner there isn't a better one in the conference.

Im not discounting your argument and I'm completely biased and unapologetic for it but Perish doesn't have the line or RB Sumner did and he missed a game vs ISUr and didn't get to play USD. He had 6 300+ yd games

Jason Svoboda
November 30th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Not going to be a homer so I'll take Perish out of my options.

Best Valley QB I've seen this year is Norvell. I don't base my picks on stats but on what my eyes saw. Strong arm, will stand in the pocket but is also mobile enough to move when pressured. Also showed some amazing accuracy on some of his throws in our game. He dropped a deep corner ball over our corner into the hands of his guy in the back of the end zone with like a foot to spare. While Sumner is good, he has the benefit of having two monster receivers so I'll put him second but he does a lot of the same things Norvell does, too. My third choice is Wentz as he is an efficient game manager, doesn't make mistakes and finds/hits the open man consistently.

Jason Svoboda
November 30th, 2014, 01:16 PM

If we had Zenner and your line, Perish would have thrown for 5,000 yards. I'd kill to have a competent running game.

Thundar
November 30th, 2014, 01:38 PM
My third choice is Wentz as he is an efficient game manager, doesn't make mistakes and finds/hits the open man consistently.

he doesn't always hit the open man, if he did the UNI game would have been totally different

centennial
November 30th, 2014, 03:39 PM
he doesn't always hit the open man, if he did the UNI game would have been totally different
This. He is on again off again. Kind of like Brock Jensen was in 2012. If he was as good as Brock was in the last season we wouldn't have struggled against Weber, WIU and probably kept UNI close or won.

clenz
December 6th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Today further pisses me off on the UNI bull **** handling of QBs.

Final 2014 stats

GP
GS

Effic
Comp
Att
%
Yards
YPA
YPC
TD
INT

Avg

Brion

Sawyer

Keep in mind, Sawyer's per game numbers are flawed because he played 2 snaps against MSU 2 weeks ago. Didn't throw a pass. He also played only 1 half vs Illinois State in the playoffs, 1 half against Tennessee Tech and 1 half against Northern Colorado. He also played the full game in both FBS games and Brion didn't play at all...imagine his numbers against FBS teams....

Essentially Sawyer played 5, maybe 6, full games.

Does any UNI fan...I mean any...still believe that Brion was ever the right choice? We all knew we couldn't win a title with him at the helm. Sawyer was nothing except Salmon's fall guy. He struggled early, but look at how the plays were called around him. Look at the OL that was put in front of him (it was changed after he was no longer the starter and it improved).

Sawyer is the only reason we didn't lose by 50 today.

Now he is likely out of the door with a year left.

For his career

GP
Comp
Att
%
Yards
YPA
YPC
TD
INT
Avg

Fresh

Soph

Jr

204.3 in gm he threw a pass

Career
211.2 in gm he thew a pass

It's not like he forgot how to play freaking QB.

He completed 17 passes today in one half. Brion has done that in a full game just twice this entire season.

Whatever now I guess.

Just....damn frustrating that the offense voluntarily killed off it's second best weapon and 80% of the field before the huddle was snapped

marenlee
December 6th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Hard to disagree. Seems like Sawyer's entire career has been mishandled. He could have had a great career/numbers.

Milktruck74
December 6th, 2014, 07:29 PM
"No question UTC's Jacob Huesman is the best quarterback we have seen this season ... He is better than I thought ... he is special ...a difference maker .... we couldn't stop him."
Indiana State coach Mike Sanford

clenz
December 6th, 2014, 07:36 PM
Hard to disagree. Seems like Sawyer's entire career has been mishandled. He could have had a great career/numbers.
He's been described to me, by people very close to him and the program, as a beaten dog by Salmon and Verduzco. There is a difference between constructive criticism and beaten someone down… they didn't come close to that line from what I've heard.

On the flip side Brion could do no wrong in meeting rooms.

Sawyer really has been mishandled from the day Brion stepped on campus and now he wants out. They kid who was on pace to set all kinds of records through a season and a half now isn't good enough for our offensive staff and wants out.

I love reading the "he deserved to be benched. If he can't accept that then he's weak and a quitter" people ive read.

He didn't forget how to play, or get worse. He was the scapegoat… period