PDA

View Full Version : MVFC Top Honors Announced

smallcollegefbfan
November 26th, 2014, 11:19 AM
http://www.valley-football.org/news/default/2014-15/7710/valley-football-announces-top-honors/

Offensive Player of the Year:
RB Marshaun Coprich, Illinois State
Defensive Player of the Year:
DE Kyle Emanuel, North Dakota State
Newcomer of the Year: QB Tre Roberson, Illinois State
Freshman of the Year: WR Jake Wieneke, South Dakota State
Coach of the Year: Brock Spack, Illinois State

I agree 100% with these selections. All of them should finish in the top 5 for the TSN awards. I think the UNI RB is a better talent but he did have that part of the season where he wasn't putting up much rushing. If he had consistently had 100-yard games he would have won it. No doubt Johnson is a better next level guy as well. Coprich just happened to put up good games a little bit more.

achrist70
November 26th, 2014, 12:00 PM
David Johnson and his 2107 All purpose yards should have easily won the offensive player of the year, Coprich is no where close in talent level, and Sanford should have won it for what he has been able to this year at Indiana State

clenz
November 26th, 2014, 12:00 PM
David Johnson and his 2107 All purpose yards should have easily won the offensive player of the year, Coprich is no where close in talent level, and Sanford should have won it for what he has been able to this year at Indiana State
xsmhx

Sycamore62
November 26th, 2014, 12:02 PM

I kind of thought this too. Also not playing NDSU padded the Offensive stats a bit

Gil Dobie
November 26th, 2014, 12:10 PM
I was thinking Johnson would win Offensive Player of the year too.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 26th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Coprich did lead the league in rushing yards, TDs and yards/game. If they are just going by stats then he should have won it.

But IMO, DJ is the best offensive player in the league this year.

Sycamore62
November 26th, 2014, 12:21 PM
I wish the MVFC website would also have the stats for the conference season only

Bisonator
November 26th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Coprich did lead the league in rushing yards, TDs and yards/game. If they are just going by stats then he should have won it.

Agreed. That's what happens when it's based on stats. The best player isn't always the one who wins these awards.

UNIFanSince1983
November 26th, 2014, 12:30 PM
I really can't argue with any of these selections.

The only one that could be argued is Sanford instead of Spack, but Illinois State was picked 6th and ended up tied for conference champions with only 1 loss. Impressive no doubt. Indiana State was picked last and tied for 4th so also finished about 6 spots higher than predicted. That is a tough call.

Coprich had at least 100 yards in every game. He did have 1716 in total offensive yards, but had 21 TDs.

Johnson had 1775 offensive yards, but only had 14 offensive TDs. Similar amounts of yards, but 7 fewer TDs.

Obviously, I love Johnson, but I don't think you can argue that Coprich didn't deserve the award and that Johnson "should have easily won" the award.

IBleedYellow
November 26th, 2014, 12:32 PM
I argue 2 points.

David Johnson should have had Offensive POTY. The fact that his offensive coordinator was garbage and only gave him the ball around 15 times a game is stupid.
Sanford for Coach of the year. What he did there in one year was remarkable.

Panther-State
November 26th, 2014, 12:41 PM

Johnson faced the Bison and 2 FBS schools with big and talented defensive lines (the rest of their teams were what suck). Illinois St played 2 cupcakes and what now looks to be a very mediocre Eastern Illinois team. The only thing Coprich has in that argument is that DJ never rushed against UNI's D. I honestly don't think our D is that far beyond ISU though.

smoothjack
November 26th, 2014, 01:12 PM
RB Marshaun Coprich, Illinois State, Jr.- 270 carries, 1683 yards, 6.2ypc, 21 TD, 153 yds/gm, 11 catches, 33 yards in 11 games.
RB Zach Zenner, South Dakota State, Sr.- 282 carries, 1634 yards, 5.8ypc, 16 TD, 136.2 yds/gm, 25 catches, 256 yards, 3 TD in 12 games.
RB David Johnson, UNI, Sr.- 246 carries, 1353 yards, 5.5ypc, 13 TD, 112.8 yds/gm, 31 catches, 422 yards, 1 TD in 12 games.

Coprich - 1716 yards, 21 TD
Zenner - 1890 yards, 19 TD
Johnson - 1775 yards, 14 TD

Coprich gets it, great year and played in one less game. David Johnson should be happy with the silver.

Sycamore62
November 26th, 2014, 01:13 PM
I'll play...
Mike Perish had 2957 passing yards at INDIANA STATE.

11 games because of the helmet to helmet hit vs UNI

achrist70
November 26th, 2014, 01:16 PM
You didn't include DJs return yards and TD which was against Illinois State

smoothjack
November 26th, 2014, 01:19 PM
You are absolutely right.

I also didn't include how crappy your offensive coordinator is xcoffeex or the excuses that UNI played two powerhouse FBS programs in Iowa and Hawaii xrotatehx

clenz
November 26th, 2014, 01:21 PM
You are absolutely right.

I also didn't include how crappy your offensive coordinator is xcoffeex or the excuses that UNI played two powerhouse FBS programs in Iowa and Hawaii xrotatehx
Iowa does have to NFL DTs...

DJ was over 2100 totals yards this year and that's with averaging 14 touches through the first 7 games of the season

Sycamore62
November 26th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Iowa does have to NFL DTs...

DJ was over 2100 totals yards this year and that's with averaging 14 touches through the first 7 games of the season

They shouldnt have pulled him so soon agains N Colorado and TTU

underdawg
November 26th, 2014, 01:39 PM
Ha-ha! This ought to be good---only two RB were picked for last year's All-Valley first team. If Coprich is picked instead of Johnson or Zenner I predict a meltdown--and it may be justified!

JayJ79
November 26th, 2014, 02:05 PM
I wish the MVFC website would also have the stats for the conference season only

they do.
http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/confonly.htm

on a sidenote, I wonder why they don't have David Johnson listed in the "kick return" category. They must set a minimum of 10 returns or something. That seems a bit silly as a team with a good defense isn't going to get alot of kick returns. With only 8 conference games for each team, and the fact that there are usually two deep backs on kick return, and touchbacks are fairly common, I think a minimum of 10 is a bit high.

In any case, David Johnson has returned 8 kicks for 332 yds and 1 TD, for an average of 41.5 yards a return.

clenz
November 26th, 2014, 02:11 PM
they do.
Wonder what the cut off for the kick return is...

DJ had 8 for 331 yards (41.5 average) and a TD

Or the second most return yards with the fewest returns

Panther-State
November 26th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Here's what I've found for MVFC only stats (using ESPN box scores...hopefully its accurate). This discounts non-conf stats and the fact that Coprich played one less game.

David Johnson:

953 yds on 179 carries (5.3/rush) with 12 TD's
102 yds on 15 catches (6.8/rec)
1 pass for 7 yds

132.75 offensive yds/game (not counting return yds)

Marshaun Coprich

1253 yds on 207 carries (6.0/rush) with 15 TDs
27 yds on 9 catches (3.0/rec)

160 yds/game

Zach Zenner

1014 yds on 187 carries (5.4/rush) with 10 TDs
215 yds on 18 catches (11.9/rec) with 1 TD

~153 yds/game

Pretty tough to give him the nod even though he's definitely the best player of the 3. Our play-calling and abysmal line play, until the ISUr/NDSU games when we moved lineman around, really hurt him to begin the year. At this moment I'd take DJ because he's really started hitting his stride now that we are giving him 25+ carries and allowing him to get warmed up, but Coprich got off to a hot start and Zenner is a model of consistency.

I'm torn on return yards because it's not like Coprich and Zenner have a shot at those if the coaches don't put them out there. DJ has only been a return guy for the latter part of the year anyway and he has very few returns anyways. I also consider that more ST than Offense so to be nit-picky, I'm not sure they should be included. On the other hand, those are all-purpose yards that should definitely be considered when measuring the importance and performance of a player.

I have to imagine DJ is still a first team selection. He's the best offensive player this conference has seen in many many years, even with the likes of a Zenner, Shakir Bell, etc...in recent seasons.

smoothjack
November 26th, 2014, 03:33 PM
I gathered stats from the four common opponents of Uni, Ill St. and SDSU. Those opponents were Western Illinois, Indiana State, University of South Dakota, and Missouri State. Some of these games were blowouts so I also added up the number of carries each teams backup RUNNING BACK received. This helps identify instances where teams pulled Johnson/Zenner/Coprich. I would have looked back in the game logs to see when each back was out of the game but that would take too long, I believe this method is just as valid.

Results:

Johnson
98 carries for 520 Yards. (5.3 ypc) ~6td
7 receptions for 23 yards (3.3 ypr) ~0td
542 total yards ~6 total td
105 total touches
35 carries given to backups

Zenner
89 carries for 550 yards. (6.1 ypc) ~6td
8 receptions for 134 yards. (16.7 ypr) ~ 2td
684 total yards ~8 total td
97 total touches
37 carries given to backups

Coprich
102 carries for 609 yards (5.9 ypc) ~4td
3 receptions for 7 yards (2.3 ypr) ~0td
616 total yards ~4 total td
105 total touches
6 carries given to backups

I took common opponents because I didn't want to see UNI fans screaming about the tough FBS teams or anybody crying foul because SDSU played UW-Oshkosh. What sticks out to me is how Illinois State ran Coprich no matter the score. Also, it looks like Johnson got just as many or more touches than the other two backs. Yes I understand it is a relatively small sample size but it is 1/3 of the season. Flame away.

unigriff
November 26th, 2014, 05:32 PM
I think the argument people are saying (but not really saying) is that DJ is the best back in the conference if not one of top 5 in the country on a offensive calling lacking team. What people want to say is, put in the stats from the last 5 games into the first 7. DJ would most likely run away with not only conference player of the year but national player of the year.

These are his carries against the rest of the team. Watch how it changes...and how UNI changed.

First 7 games (3-4 record) : 110 total rushing attempts (50% of team carries, 50%, 38%, 26%, 63%, 36%, 36%)
Last 5 games (5-0 record) : 135 total rushing attempts (60% of team carries, 76, 64, 59, 70)

In comparison
Coprich had only 2 games where he had under half the team carries (47% and 36%) AND only 2 games under 20 carries individually (DJ has had 7 games under 20 carries)

smoothjack
November 26th, 2014, 06:28 PM
I think the argument people are saying (but not really saying) is that DJ is the best back in the conference if not one of top 5 in the country on a offensive calling lacking team. What people want to say is, put in the stats from the last 5 games into the first 7. DJ would most likely run away with not only conference player of the year but national player of the year.

These are his carries against the rest of the team. Watch how it changes...and how UNI changed.

First 7 games (3-4 record) : 110 total rushing attempts (50% of team carries, 50%, 38%, 26%, 63%, 36%, 36%)
Last 5 games (5-0 record) : 135 total rushing attempts (60% of team carries, 76, 64, 59, 70)

In comparison
Coprich had only 2 games where he had under half the team carries (47% and 36%) AND only 2 games under 20 carries individually (DJ has had 7 games under 20 carries)

First of all, you are calculating total rushing attempts and including rushing attempts from the QB's. When a QB scrambles from a broken pass play that counts as a carry. So personally, I think your post is completely invalid.

Secondly, your third and fourth games UNI won 46-7 and 50-7. Are we going to blame the offensive play calling in those two wins????? I'M SO CONFUSED! Maybe, just maybe, Johnson didn't get as many carries because you rolled the competition?????

Thirdly, I don't know what happened vs the powerhouse that is Hawaii. 18 carries for 46 yards (2.6 ypc). You can only give the ball so many times when he is completely ineffective.

REALBird
November 26th, 2014, 06:37 PM
Coprich won, Spack won, Tre Roberson won. Cant take the awards back no matter how much you disagree. Opponents, OOC schedules, OC and how they used players. All subjective.

Hell had SDSU not come out in Normal and just committed those turnovers maybe Zenner might have gone for 200 and the stats may have been better. Would there be the same argument?

Whatever. Kudos to they guys who won, whether from ILS or not. no sour grapes here!

smoothjack
November 26th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Coprich won, Spack won, Tre Roberson won. Cant take the awards back no matter how much you disagree. Opponents, OOC schedules, OC and how they used players. All subjective.

Hell had SDSU not come out in Normal and just committed those turnovers maybe Zenner might have gone for 200 and the stats may have been better. Would there be the same argument?

Whatever. Kudos to they guys who won, whether from ILS or not. no sour grapes here!

Agreed, Coprich is more than deserving. Just sick of the UNI excuses. Our offensive coordinator sucks (Most ridiculous excuse I've ever heard), we played two FBS programs (Then don't play two FBS programs), if we were playing all year like we are now! xconfusedx

clenz
November 26th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Agreed, Coprich is more than deserving. Just sick of the UNI excuses. Our offensive coordinator sucks (Most ridiculous excuse I've ever heard), we played two FBS programs (Then don't play two FBS programs), if we were playing all year like we are now! xconfusedx
Scoreboard...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

MR. CHICKEN
November 26th, 2014, 07:38 PM
20174......NOW DUH VALLEY BOYZ...ARE UNHAPPY...WHIFF DUH AWARD SHOW.......IS DERE ANYTHIN'...OUT-DERE YA WON'T COMPLAIN 'BOUT.....xconfusedx...AWK!

unigriff
November 26th, 2014, 07:52 PM
First of all, you are calculating total rushing attempts and including rushing attempts from the QB's. When a QB scrambles from a broken pass play that counts as a carry. So personally, I think your post is completely invalid.

Secondly, your third and fourth games UNI won 46-7 and 50-7. Are we going to blame the offensive play calling in those two wins????? I'M SO CONFUSED! Maybe, just maybe, Johnson didn't get as many carries because you rolled the competition?????

Thirdly, I don't know what happened vs the powerhouse that is Hawaii. 18 carries for 46 yards (2.6 ypc). You can only give the ball so many times when he is completely ineffective.

More than not if our QBS are running..it's by design.

Those 2 blowouts DJ only played 4 quarters total. He probably could have beaten that 400 yard rushing barrier too had he played the whole game either time and that's with the passing QB offense scheme play calling.

If you actually watched the Hawaii game...most of those carries were straight up the middle. No counter or pitches or even read options. Just 22 dives 2 plays n a row and an overthrow pass by Kollmorgen. We punted like 17 times in that game and I still can't believe we almost won it.

REALBird
November 26th, 2014, 08:14 PM
You guys UNI also had a QB change, whether out of injury or necessity, that changed how the OC called the games. Ironic that with your backup QB, the game plan was simplified, DJ was given more of a workload and the offense exceled.

If you want to blame the OC, also blame the QB injury, as it seems that BEFORE the injury to your QB the game plan was clearly not to rely on DJ as much. That may have kept him fresh later in the season to fuel the playoff run.

Might be the biggest silver lining in that cloud. He was healthy and READY to carry the load when you needed him most.

JayJ79
November 26th, 2014, 08:22 PM
the people that vote for awards like these don't tend to get too far into analysis, especially for conference awards. They look at team winning record and individual stats.

And as far as the arguments of "if David Johnson had gotten as many carries as he is getting now, earlier in the season.....":
yes, he may have compiled better stats, but he also could have gotten injured or "worn out". If limited carries earlier in the year means he is fresher and better down the stretch (like he was) and into the playoffs (like I hope he will be), then I'm all for it. Though if using him just a bit more would have gotten us two more points at Indiana State OR four more points against SDSU, then UNI would have been the MVFC auto-qualifier and seeded (perhaps even a top 4 seed)

frozennorth
November 26th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Might as well include crocket in this analysis.

smoothjack
November 26th, 2014, 08:58 PM
Might as well include crocket in this analysis.

Thanks for that frozen, this thread needed a good laugh.

unigriff
November 26th, 2014, 09:09 PM
You guys UNI also had a QB change, whether out of injury or necessity, that changed how the OC called the games. Ironic that with your backup QB, the game plan was simplified, DJ was given more of a workload and the offense exceled.

If you want to blame the OC, also blame the QB injury, as it seems that BEFORE the injury to your QB the game plan was clearly not to rely on DJ as much. That may have kept him fresh later in the season to fuel the playoff run.

Might be the biggest silver lining in that cloud. He was healthy and READY to carry the load when you needed him most.

What injury was that? His 2 concussions in 2013? It was a simple change of QBs. For 2.5 games we played a 2 QB system anyway before the final change. Keep trying REALbird

mmiller_34
November 26th, 2014, 09:28 PM
Scoreboard...

Not sure what this is referring to?

REALBird
November 26th, 2014, 09:33 PM
You seem to be the one taking it personal, honestly didn't follow UNI close enough to know if it was an injury, two QB system or whatever. But thanks for the clarification. Regardless, the 2 QB system for whatever reason could have very well limited DJ's carries as the OC definitely had an idea foe what kind of workload he wanted DJ to have, and whatever the system it was he wanted to run.

If anything, seems as if the late season surge and the light bulb going on to run DJ proved to benefit your team well.
Maybe not in the eyes of the people picking the awards, but I don't think anyone from other teams have knocked DJ or even whether he was equally deserving of Offensive POY.

But not at least acknowledging or RESPECTING the fact it went to someone else who may also be equally deserving does come off as sour grapes. If DJ had won, I would have easily accepted him getting the award, after all our QB was every bit as valuable to our team and gave Coprich help as our 2nd leading rusher. The QB from Indiana St. deserving. Zenner would have probably been my "gut" pick just because he's done what he has consistently for four years. Has he ever won OPOY? Don't know, but I could easily have seen him as the pick and accepted it.

frozennorth
November 26th, 2014, 09:53 PM

How does he not belong in the conversation? 1726 yards, plus 15 tds, right on part with the others. Has a passing td as well. Probably the best next level potential after Johnson.

BisonFan02
November 26th, 2014, 10:47 PM
How does he not belong in the conversation? 1726 yards, plus 15 tds, right on part with the others. Has a passing td as well. Probably the best next level potential after Johnson.

RUSHING
GP-GS
Att
Gain
Loss
Net
Avg
TD
Long
Avg/G

John Crockett
12-12

RECEIVING
GP-GS
No.
Yards
Avg
TD
Long
Avg/G

John Crockett
12-12

Not bad considering he shares duties with Frazier and Morlock.

Kemo
November 27th, 2014, 01:11 AM
I think it's safe to say a strong case for could made for Coprich, Johnson, Crockett, or Zenner as offensive player of the year... and I think we can all agree that the tiebreaker should go to the one who has over 6,000 career rushing yard xthumbsupx

Or the award should just go to a quarterback. I nominate Kevin Earl.

RollBirds
November 27th, 2014, 08:55 AM

Stats aren't everything watch the film Coprich is a better player, if stats were everything Coprich still has more yards in less games. All purpose yards are nice but ILSTU didn't need to check down to the RB bc we have talented enough WR's and mobile QB. Maybe if they had a special teams award Johnson would still not get that as he wasn't the main return guy. But It's hard sharing awards with better teams when you team has a down year, it's about time ILSTU gets some love from the Valley.

birdsflyhigh
November 27th, 2014, 09:28 AM
BIG congrats out to HC Spack, QB Tre and RB Coprich on their well deserved MVFC awards. Now it's time to put those awards off to the side and get down to some seriously focused playoff football. It's amazing how many posters are thinking that UNI will just swing through beautiful Hancock Stadium in Normal, take care of the Redbirds, and move right on to the next round of the playoffs. Pretty certain that the ISU Redbirds will be going ALL-OUT to avenge their only loss on the season by defending the house and earning their way into the next playoff round.

GO BIRDS! :)

Panther-State
November 27th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Wait what did Roberson win? Newcomer of the year?

jacoj21
November 27th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Stats aren't everything watch the film Coprich is a better player, if stats were everything Coprich still has more yards in less games. All purpose yards are nice but ILSTU didn't need to check down to the RB bc we have talented enough WR's and mobile QB. Maybe if they had a special teams award Johnson would still not get that as he wasn't the main return guy. But It's hard sharing awards with better teams when you team has a down year, it's about time ILSTU gets some love from the Valley.

Didn't your QB win Offensive POY two years ago?

Sycamore62
November 27th, 2014, 10:54 AM

Are you actually watching the film or are you going off 2 games against your team.

Im not gonna pretend I watched either guy all season. DJ impressed me more against ISUb and NDSU regardless of stats. Only watched Coprich against Us and never really thought about him.

Thumper 76
November 27th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Not sure what this is referring to?

Clenz has already convinced himself UNI beat SDSU, because the mighty panthers would never lose to such a lowly program ;):)

Thumper 76
November 27th, 2014, 11:06 AM

Dammit. Now you got the bison fans involved.

IBleedYellow
November 27th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Dammit. Now you got the bison fans involved.

Fairly certain I'd call him a Sioux fan...

Jason Svoboda
November 27th, 2014, 11:56 AM
I was fine with every award but Spack.

REALBird
November 27th, 2014, 04:08 PM
I was fine with every award but Spack.

I can see that, but he did win a share of the MVFC so I think while both your coach and ours overachieved based on pre-season prognosticators Spack was probably rewarded more for that than your coach at ISUb.

FargoBison
November 27th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Only change I would make is Johnson as a Offensive player of the year.

Spack in my opinion barely edges Sanford, co-conference champ and had a strong finish to the season. That ISUB loss to WIU also hurts Sanford in my opinion.

World
November 27th, 2014, 04:37 PM
This pretty much says it all, for conference games only:

Coprich,M-ILS

JR

Zenner,Zach-SDSU

SR

Johnson, David-UNI

SR

they do.

on a sidenote, I wonder why they don't have David Johnson listed in the "kick return" category. They must set a minimum of 10 returns or something. That seems a bit silly as a team with a good defense isn't going to get alot of kick returns. With only 8 conference games for each team, and the fact that there are usually two deep backs on kick return, and touchbacks are fairly common, I think a minimum of 10 is a bit high.

In any case, David Johnson has returned 8 kicks for 332 yds and 1 TD, for an average of 41.5 yards a return.

No_Skill
November 27th, 2014, 10:04 PM
This pretty much says it all, for conference games only:

Coprich,M-ILS
JR

Zenner,Zach-SDSU
SR

Johnson, David-UNI
SR

With all the woulda, coulda, shoulda from some fans in this thread...I'll join in.

The above stats are invalid due to the fact that ISUr did not play NDSU. Coprich possibly maybe would have had negative 200 yard rushing...therefore potato.

clenz
November 27th, 2014, 10:10 PM
With all the woulda, coulda, shoulda from some fans in this thread...I'll join in.

The above stats are invalid due to the fact that ISUr did not play NDSU. Coprich possibly maybe would have had negative 200 yard rushing...therefore potato.
Certainly couldn't do worse than Zenner has in his career

REALBird
November 28th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Congrats AGAIN to MVFV OPOY - Marshaun Coprich, Coach of the Year - Brock Spack, and Newcomer of the Year - Tre Roberson. The votes have been tabulated. Awards given out, ceremony is over and the lights have been turned off. Nothing left to see here!

Mr. Coprich and Mr. Spack are still up for a few national awards, not sure they'll win them, but being in the conversation would suffice for me. Winning would be further validation of the MVFC awards.

Redbird Recon
November 28th, 2014, 11:06 AM
Did anyone else rush for 100+ yards against UNI, SDSU and ISUb?

smoothjack
November 28th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Did anyone else rush for 100+ yards against UNI, SDSU and ISUb?

Umm the only teams that played those three schools were Ill st, Western Ill, NDSU, and Miss St. What point are you trying to make?????????????????????????????????

Redbird Recon
November 28th, 2014, 02:35 PM
My apologies. My words didn't reflect my thought. What are the rushing numbers for RBs against playoff opponents? I'll be happy to look it up later when I have a computer in front of me. My point: Coprich ranged from good to great to dominant in every game he played this season. That includes 3 opponents in the playoff field. A season's worth of 100-yard games was too special to ignore.

REALBird
November 28th, 2014, 02:46 PM
My apologies. My words didn't reflect my thought. What are the rushing numbers for RBs against playoff opponents? I'll be happy to look it up later when I have a computer in front of me. My point: Coprich ranged from good to great to dominant in every game he played this season. That includes 3 opponents in the playoff field. A season's worth of 100-yard games was too special to ignore.

Really what difference does it make. Seems some people have an inherent bias toward their guy, or at least a guy who they played. I think its BS! Coprich didn't make the schedule, he didn't avoid NDSU, couldn't help they weren't on the schedule. He didn't call plays for UNI that impacted David Johnson, he didn't cause Mike Perish to be injured, he just strapped on his helmet whether Austin Peay or UNI or SDSU and played football. 11 straight 100 yd games, 10 games with one or more TD's. Every rushing yard he didn't get went to his QB. Every TD he didn't get in the red zone likely went to his QB. Yet he still had the numbers he did. He is the MVFC Offensive Player of the Year. Damn all the speculation, bias, or whatever. Votes are in. He won!

Sycamore62
November 28th, 2014, 03:17 PM
So there. All you other people need to stop having opinions

UNIFanSince1983
November 28th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Really what difference does it make. Seems some people have an inherent bias toward their guy, or at least a guy who they played. I think its BS! Coprich didn't make the schedule, he didn't avoid NDSU, couldn't help they weren't on the schedule. He didn't call plays for UNI that impacted David Johnson, he didn't cause Mike Perish to be injured, he just strapped on his helmet whether Austin Peay or UNI or SDSU and played football. 11 straight 100 yd games, 10 games with one or more TD's. Every rushing yard he didn't get went to his QB. Every TD he didn't get in the red zone likely went to his QB. Yet he still had the numbers he did. He is the MVFC Offensive Player of the Year. Damn all the speculation, bias, or whatever. Votes are in. He won!

Yes everyone including you has an inherent bias toward their guy.

Although I have no issue with Coprich winning this award. He was the best player I saw this year that was not on our team. Just don't act like there is no argument for other players. Sure your guy won, but that doesn't mean everyone felt he should win.

REALBird
November 28th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Yes everyone including you has an inherent bias toward their guy.

Although I have no issue with Coprich winning this award. He was the best player I saw this year that was not on our team. Just don't act like there is no argument for other players. Sure your guy won, but that doesn't mean everyone felt he should win.

Been nothing but complimentary toward all of the other players in the MVFC who could have won, every right to defend my guy who did win. He played his @$$ off and is in consideration for the Payton Award.
We don't win awards often, so defending my guy against conjecture and "well he didn't play against is garbage".

matter of fact, I think the few Bird fans who post here have been more complimentary of other teams talent than has been for our award winners.

Panther-State
November 28th, 2014, 05:44 PM
Coprich should be the winner. The real debate for me is the coaching award but Sanford lost that one when the Sycs didn't win their last game. Still, it was immensely more impressive that the Sycs are going to the playoffs when they were picked to win maybe 1-2 games.

gobirds85
November 28th, 2014, 05:49 PM
Scoreboard...

Playoff seed...

Panther-State
November 28th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Also if Tre Roberson was the NOY winner then I suppose I can understand that since I can't name any other newcomers to the league. Certainly none that made any real impacts like Roberson

UNH Fanboi
December 7th, 2014, 08:26 AM
Last game:
Johnson - 18 carries, 16 yards, with a long of 14
Coprich - 30 carries, 148 yards, with a long of 30

MR. CHICKEN
December 7th, 2014, 08:34 AM
20270.......VOTERAHS.......GOT IT RIGHT.......VALLEY BOYS.......NOT SO MUCH.......xsmhx...BRAWK!

SENT FROM MAH COMPUTER.....HAL

Daved
December 7th, 2014, 09:25 AM
I argue 2 points.

David Johnson should have had Offensive POTY. The fact that his offensive coordinator was garbage and only gave him the ball around 15 times a game is stupid.
Sanford for Coach of the year. What he did there in one year was remarkable.Agree 100% with both points!

REALBird
December 7th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Agree 100% with both points!

Perfect world DJ's coordinator does the right thing, but even yesterdays game showed he can reduce Johnson to being mortal. That said, Johnson was evaluated on his numbers and the record of UNI not his talents.

Sanford could have easily been COY, but crapping the bed against WIU probably didn't help.

clenz
December 7th, 2014, 12:27 PM
The fact the trees were in a position to crap the bed is reason enough to give him coy

Daved
December 7th, 2014, 12:34 PM
The fact the trees were in a position to crap the bed is reason enough to give him coy

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TapatalkAmen!