PDA

View Full Version : MEAC Suspends 21 Players For Norfolk State/South Carolina State Brawl

superman7515
November 25th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Video at the link.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24839982/meac-suspends-21-players-after-norfolk-st-south-carolina-st-brawl

The MEAC announced Tuesday that a total of 21 players from Norfolk State and South Carolina State have been suspended over a brawl that erupted in the fourth quarter of the teams' meeting last Saturday.Per the Associated Press, with both teams' having concluded their 2014 seasons, the 11 Spartans and 10 Bulldogs disciplined will miss their respective team's 2015 season opener. Players involved in the brawl who have exhausted their eligiblity will not be punished, the MEAC said.
The brawl began after a South Carolina State touchdown early in the fourth quarter that put the Bulldogs up 29-17. Before officials could set the ball for the extra point try, players engaged in a shoving match that quickly escalated into an exchange of punches and cleared sidelines. Via Columbia, S.C. CBS affiliate WLTX, video of the brawl (http://www.wltx.com/story/sports/ncaa/2014/11/22/fight-mars-sc-state-morgan-state-game/19418033/):

PantherRob82
November 25th, 2014, 05:31 PM
The amount of stuff that can only be seen in the MEAC is amazing. So much talent, so little discipline.

I once watched a player on the sideline get ejected for tackling an opposing player during a MEAC Thursday night ESPNU game.

PantherRob82
November 25th, 2014, 05:44 PM
The amount of stuff that can only be seen in the MEAC is amazing. So much talent, so little discipline.

I once watched a player on the sideline get ejected for tackling an opposing player during a MEAC Thursday night ESPNU game.

veinup
November 25th, 2014, 10:47 PM
dag yo

Go Green
November 26th, 2014, 05:41 AM

1954, the rule was if you tackled a player from the sideline, it was an automatic touchdown for the other team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSteCSinjTs

Tribe4SF
November 26th, 2014, 06:05 AM

Has happened before, and not just by players on the sideline. At the 1977 Oyster Bowl in Norfolk, W&M QB Tom Rozantz was in the clear down the East Carolina sideline running for the winning TD when retired East Carolina coach Jim Johnson came off the sideline and tackled Rozantz around the 20 yard line. The play was ruled a touchdown, and W&M won 21-17.

WileECoyote06
November 26th, 2014, 06:57 AM

So you're telling me, that football teams in other conferences don't fight or have brawls? In a violent game like football?

C'Mon Man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywA-mBVGids

Go Green
November 26th, 2014, 07:43 AM
. The play was ruled a touchdown, and W&M won 21-17.

Those refs were probably familiar with the 1954 Alabama-Rice Cotton Bowl.

:)

PantherRob82
November 26th, 2014, 11:13 AM
So you're telling me, that football teams in other conferences don't fight or have brawls? In a violent game like football?

C'Mon Man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywA-mBVGids

No I'm saying your conference has a history of being un disciplined, whether it is in relation to penalties, execution, or dumb stuff like brawls.

The teams in the MEAC have a lot of individual talent, yet don't win big games against other FCS teams because they lack discipline. ;)

WileECoyote06
November 26th, 2014, 12:05 PM
No I'm saying your conference has a history of being un disciplined, whether it is in relation to penalties, execution, or dumb stuff like brawls.

The teams in the MEAC have a lot of individual talent, yet don't win big games against other FCS teams because they lack discipline. ;)

We don't win big games against other FCS teams because we lose the recruiting battles for great offensive and defensive line players. That affects execution as well. We're fine with the skill positions. Penalties can be blamed just as much on the inconsistent MEAC referees as the players.

Brawls are a part of a violent sport: Football, hockey, etc. Some players have a hard time turning off that type of aggression and emotion. I have no idea why SCSU and NSU were fighting because they aren't long-time rivals; but ____ happens.

Big Dawg
November 26th, 2014, 02:32 PM

How many brawls have you seen in the MEAC? This is the first one in a LOOOOOOOOOONG time

BTW, that's not the reason why the MEAC loses playoff games...excution in crunch time, I'll give you that. See Hampton and SCSU in the mid to late 2000s