PDA

View Full Version : Round 1: South Dakota State @ Montana State

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 25th, 2014, 04:28 PM
I didn't see a thread started, so I'll start one.

What are the thoughts out there on this matchup?

Is the MSU (QB and RB) going to play in this game? IMO, at least the QB does for Montana State to even have a chance.

The overwhelming stats that jump out at me are the poor defensive stats put up by the Bobcats:

Total Defense: 483 yards/game...ranking #114/121

Points given up/game: 31.9/game.....ranking #96/121

Rushing yards given up/game: 185
Passing yards given up/game: 298

To me it looks like the Bobcats need their starting QB and try to outscore the Jacks. With how pathetic the Bobcat defense is, the Jacks should come in and keep pounding the ball and mix in the passing game.

Wonder if this might turn out to be a SDSU/EIU playoff game from a couple of years ago???

I would love to see the Bobcats come to play in the FD but I don't think it will happen.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 25th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Boy, I remember the last MVFC team that went into Bozeman. Didn't end well for the Kitties.

just sayin'

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 25th, 2014, 04:40 PM
Boy, I remember the last MVFC team that went into Bozeman. Didn't end well for the Kitties.

just sayin'

Good point!!

I remember their coach saying after the game that they need to get better in the trenches on both sides of the ball. By the looks of the defense, they have not.

Didn't the Bison rush for over 300 in that game?

Grizalltheway
November 25th, 2014, 04:42 PM
If they don't have Prukop close to 100% they're screwed. Even if they do, that won't help their defense. 38-24 Jacks.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 25th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Good point!!

I remember their coach saying after the game that they need to get better in the trenches on both sides of the ball. By the looks of the defense, they have not.

376 to be exact. DJ McNorton had 207 all by himself.

Grizalltheway
November 25th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Good point!!

Their O-line also got absolutely man-handled by the Griz D-line. I haven't seen SDSU this season, but I assume they're big and physical up front on D.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 25th, 2014, 04:44 PM
It sounds like Prukop will be able to go on Saturday. He's a more dangerous QB than McGhee imo. I picked SDSU but Montana State has a real good shot at home.

FargoBison
November 25th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Their O-line also got absolutely man-handled by the Griz D-line. I haven't seen SDSU this season, but I assume they're big and physical up front on D.

Their DL isn't that great, not many sacks and mediocre against the run. Perhaps one of the weakest in the MVFC.

Their offense though is fully loaded. Great running back in Zenner, rock solid QB in Sumner and bigtime playmaking WR in Wieneke.

If Dakota Prukop plays and is relatively healthy I expect a high scoring game.

Theee Catrabbit
November 25th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Our Dline has improved. Our Pass Defense is really the strength of the D, so that is good. Key is the team has started to take care of the damn ball. Not sure if the Bobcats are trying to spread out our film time with a "Who's QB"? line of strategy. But, that **** doesnt work on Stig anyways. They'll gameplan for each one. Had to for UNI, seemed to work out OK.

WHere are you getting your Prukop ready to go? seen nothing but Doom and Gloom on Bobcat Nation.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 25th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Our Dline has improved. Our Pass Defense is really the strength of the D, so that is good. Key is the team has started to take care of the damn ball. Not sure if the Bobcats are trying to spread out our film time with a "Who's QB"? line of strategy. But, that **** doesnt work on Stig anyways. They'll gameplan for each one. Had to for UNI, seemed to work out OK.

WHere are you getting your Prukop ready to go?

Well Bleskin is out it appears so it sounds like Prukop, who is getting healthier, or someone else. I think Prukop ultimately plays...

Theee Catrabbit
November 25th, 2014, 04:56 PM
Well Bleskin is out it appears so it sounds like Prukop, who is getting healthier, or someone else. I think Prukop ultimately plays...

McQueary I think is the 3rd string. If Prukop is in I dont expect much mobility.

Jacks02
November 25th, 2014, 05:02 PM
Our DL has been really beat up during the season with multiple guys missing time and was a bad enough situation where they pulled the red-shirt on a freshman against Illinois State. For the most part we have gotten guys healthy and playing again and it seems like the defense has perked up a bit over the last few weeks. The offensive line seems to have stabilized as well since Sumner's return as we are giving up much fewer sacks over the last 3 weeks. Some of that is competition we've faced, but between the running and passing games it seems like the offense is peaking at the right time.

Overall, I still wouldn't consider us strong on the front lines, but we are better off than we were a month ago and should stack up just fine against a Big Sky team.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 25th, 2014, 05:03 PM

I haven't watched MSU play but earlier in the season Prukop was really lightening up the field when he played. If he is healthy then they have a decent chance. What is wrong with him? Looks like he is a good runner also.

SDSU's running game will be hard to stop for the Bobcats IMO.

Kemo
November 25th, 2014, 05:04 PM
SDSU's offense is starting to click and become scary good, but our run defense has been a roller coaster in MVFC play. There have been games that we just were gashed by the run in the first half and looked really stout in the 2nd (MSU, YSU) and vice versa (NDSU). Mobile QBs have been particularly a bugaboo for the Jacks D and this year was no exception (see ISUr and NDSU), so I think a non-limited Dakota Prukop playing will be incredibly important to the Bobcats chance of victory.

Though the Jacks D-line has looked shaky at times in conference play, they actually performed well in OOC play against Cal Poly and Southern Utah, so it'll be interesting to see how they do against a upper tier Big Sky team.

Grizalltheway
November 25th, 2014, 05:08 PM
I haven't watched MSU play but earlier in the season Prukop was really lightening up the field when he played. If he is healthy then they have a decent chance. What is wrong with him? Looks like he is a good runner also.

SDSU's running game will be hard to stop for the Bobcats IMO.

MCL strain I believe.

Redbird Recon
November 25th, 2014, 05:17 PM
If Prukop is in I dont expect much mobility.
That was my thought. Prukop is great because he can keep plays alive with his feet. If he can't, he'll be pretty average.

CappinHard
November 25th, 2014, 09:25 PM
I thought the spread would be closer than 10. Maybe the fact that the Bobcat's injury situation is unsure feeds into the large number. Regardless of which QB plays, I think SDSU advances. The senior Sumner will be focused after missing much of his senior season. He wants to play more football before he's done. More over, I know he wants another crack at the Bison, who have been his bugaboo.

Red & Black
November 25th, 2014, 09:27 PM
If Prukop plays, and is reasonably healthy, then MSU can regroup from their beat down on Saturday and make a game of it. Also, what's the status of Shawn Johnson? Dude's a game changer but I noticed he hasn't played in a while.

Walkon79
November 25th, 2014, 09:35 PM
Might be a blessing if Bleskin is too hurt to go. His confidence has to be shaken after Saturday. Quinn as as mobile and athletic as Dakota, maybe not quite as fast. The issue there is lack of reps, but he knows the offense and can run the read option with the best of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Walkon79
November 25th, 2014, 09:36 PM
We're going to have to score.... A lot!

Walkon79
November 25th, 2014, 09:40 PM
If Prukop plays, and is reasonably healthy, then MSU can regroup from their beat down on Saturday and make a game of it. Also, what's the status of Shawn Johnson? Dude's a game changer but I noticed he hasn't played in a while.

I think Shawn-John will be ready to go, and just in the nick of time. With or without him we have the potential to also run for 300 yards, as do the Jacks.

bobcathpdevil56
November 25th, 2014, 10:30 PM
The biggest group that needs to shake off last Saturday is the oline. They will need to be more like 2nd half of ISU game if we are gonna have a chance to keep up on the scoreboard.

veinup
November 25th, 2014, 10:45 PM
i think if pru pru is ~90%* the cats have a good chance in this one. they're definitely ready to bounce back from last week.

*randomly selected number

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 26th, 2014, 07:17 AM
Is Prukop playing in this game then?

CrazyCat
November 26th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Is Prukop playing in this game then?

Since practices are closed. We don't know. My guess is that McQueray is getting the 1st team reps at practice this week and Prukop and Bleskin could be truly game time decisions depending on how their injuries progress during the week.

dewey
November 26th, 2014, 09:57 AM
Do you MSU fans have any idea on what the attendance will be for the game? I know Thanksgiving weekend usually affects the attendance.

Dewey

CrazyCat
November 26th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Do you MSU fans have any idea on what the attendance will be for the game? I know Thanksgiving weekend usually affects the attendance.

Dewey

It will be pretty low. Probably 11-13,000 . The thing with these games is that generally the majority of the fans are the "hardcore" variety. I'm hoping it will be similar to the UNH game in 2011. Only 11,000+ attended but it was a great enthusiastic crowd. It was also loud and cold.:D

KUlawJack
November 26th, 2014, 10:28 AM
It will be pretty low. Probably 11-13,000 . The thing with these games is that generally the majority of the fans are the "hardcore" variety. I'm hoping it will be similar to the UNH game in 2011. Only 11,000+ attended but it was a great enthusiastic crowd. It was also loud and cold.:D

Cold - we like that stuff. Other teams have shown a tendency to hate playing in Brookings in the cold. It may be due to the playing surface as well, though.

As for the game, I am cautiously optimistic.

PantherRob82
November 26th, 2014, 12:26 PM
MCL strain I believe.

*sprain. :D

PantherRob82
November 26th, 2014, 12:29 PM
I have a tendency to give the edge to Montana State at home, but with how bad they got wrecked last week......

i_got_a_fever
November 26th, 2014, 02:17 PM

Cold...that's cute. Mountain states cold doesn't even compare to Dakota cold. Just saying. We'll be ready for whatever you throw at us.

CrazyCat
November 26th, 2014, 03:31 PM
I knew somebody would fall for the old cold and loud trap. congratulations.

Red & Black
November 26th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Might be a blessing if Bleskin is too hurt to go. His confidence has to be shaken after Saturday. Quinn as as mobile and athletic as Dakota, maybe not quite as fast. The issue there is lack of reps, but he knows the offense and can run the read option with the best of them.

No doubt. Felt for the kid.

Gangtackle11
November 26th, 2014, 06:39 PM
SOUTH DAKOTA STATE is weighing in with a rating of 80.1

MONTANA STATE is weighing in with a rating of 65.7

According to the Born Power Index, SOUTH DAKOTA STATE is projected to be 14.4 points stronger than MONTANA STATE

BisonBohl
November 26th, 2014, 09:53 PM
Montana State wins this one.

Red & Black
November 26th, 2014, 10:12 PM

I would be surprised. MSU is a shell of the team that they were in September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CappinHard
November 27th, 2014, 12:13 AM

A bit of wishful thinking for a worrisome Bison fan perhaps? ;)

BisonBohl
November 27th, 2014, 12:34 AM
Nah, SDSU is good ball team, just choke a lot.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 27th, 2014, 08:41 AM

SDSU could beat Montana State 90-3 and I wouldn't be worried about them coming in to the dome.

mgbison
November 27th, 2014, 08:42 AM
I think a lot of SDSU rides on whether Sumner can step up or not. Last year in the playoffs vs NAU and EWU, he looked absolutely terrible. I'd use the NDSU blueprint, and put an extra safety near the line of scrimmage and let Sumner's arm and/or their OC's ability to adjust the play calling to beat you.

RabidRabbit
November 27th, 2014, 09:01 AM
SDSU has the most weapons that they have ever had. Offensively, Jacks are very balanced, if not pass dominant at this time. This opens up ZZ to get past the trench line, and when that happens, ZZ usually takes it to the house.

The one group for the Rabbits that have been a bit suspect is the D-line, and especially on pass rush. However, most time the coverage has been pretty stout.

Quick, nimble QBs, such as a healthy Prukop, can be the bane of Jackrabbits. If he's not able to make plays with his legs, given the Bobcat D, it's looking pretty good for a SDSU Thumpin' in Bozeman.

underdawg
November 27th, 2014, 09:45 AM
I like the Bunnies in this one--I'll be watching so do a good job--ok?

IBleedYellow
November 27th, 2014, 10:59 AM
SDSU has the most weapons that they have ever had. Offensively, Jacks are very balanced, if not pass dominant at this time. This opens up ZZ to get past the trench line, and when that happens, ZZ usually takes it to the house.

The one group for the Rabbits that have been a bit suspect is the D-line, and especially on pass rush. However, most time the coverage has been pretty stout.

Quick, nimble QBs, such as a healthy Prukop, can be the bane of Jackrabbits. If he's not able to make plays with his legs, given the Bobcat D, it's looking pretty good for a SDSU Thumpin' in Bozeman.

The amount of time Carson Wentz had in the pocket was laughable. I counted to 9 seconds one time. So your pass rush might not ever get there...but the coverage was good. Hence why he had to make plays with his feet (for more than 100 yards, if I recall correctly.)

Grizzlies82
November 27th, 2014, 12:27 PM

Walkon, fully agree. It is a safe assumption So Dakota State will move the ball and score points on your guys. So it comes back to IF the cat's offense can get on track. If so MSU has an excellent shot at winning this.

As to your comment on Bleskin, also agree. The kid will likely need plenty of time to shake that one off. Though I do hope he gets a chance to play so he can begin to recover from it. I loved the cat/Griz game outcome but honestly feel bad for Jake.

Walkon79
November 27th, 2014, 07:08 PM
Still no word on the QB situation or Shawn Johnson, but the weather is expected to be a little better. Maybe 36 at game time.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 28th, 2014, 05:58 AM
Walkon, fully agree. It is a safe assumption So Dakota State will move the ball and score points on your guys. So it comes back to IF the cat's offense can get on track. If so MSU has an excellent shot at winning this.

As to your comment on Bleskin, also agree. The kid will likely need plenty of time to shake that one off. Though I do hope he gets a chance to play so he can begin to recover from it. I loved the cat/Griz game outcome but honestly feel bad for Jake.

SDSU has a pretty good defense this year. They are ranked #44 in total defense and #42 (24/game) in scoring defense.

MSU can score some points, by the numbers put up earlier in the season, but if their #1 QB cannot play, IMO, it could be a long day for them.

underdawg
November 28th, 2014, 08:45 AM
Weather geeks will like this one. Weather.com says high of 34 and chance for 1-3 inches of snow on Saturday after a high of 47 today

4grz
November 28th, 2014, 09:55 AM
South Dakota State 44
Montana State 42

Grizalltheway
November 28th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Weather geeks will like this one. Weather.com says high of 34 and chance for 1-3 inches of snow on Saturday after a high of 47 today

Downright balmy for the end of November.

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2014, 11:42 AM
I'm picking the jackrabbits 52-38

FargoBison
November 28th, 2014, 12:28 PM
Has MSU figured out their starting QB yet? Will their RB be back? Things I need to know to make a prediction...

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 28th, 2014, 01:25 PM
Has MSU figured out their starting QB yet? Will their RB be back? Things I need to know to make a prediction...

It has been said he has a MCL strain or sprain. I don't know how long it takes for those to heal but you would think his mobility would be effected. He's a runner so if that element is taken out of his game, you would think it would be an advantage for SDSU.

CrazyCat
November 28th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Unless some reports/rumors come out. The starting QB won't be known until an hour or two before the game. My guess would be McQueary.

mmiller_34
November 28th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Currently in Sheridan, WY getting some food on my way to Bozeman. Hope to see other Jacks fans tomorrow!

fencer24
November 28th, 2014, 11:50 PM

Glad you didn't tell the coaches that last week. MSU has a lot of talent, and outside of last week has shown it. But I don't think they are going to be stopping Z, so the sports section on Sunday may be confused for a basketball score.

WYCatfan
November 29th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Any and all Jackrabbit fans are welcome to stop by our tailgate A-6/A-7 on the east side for some food, beverages and banter..Safe travels foe all.

GO CATS GO!

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Game about ready to go.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Wow...looks like a blizzard.

Zenner and more ZZ and some more...

IBleedYellow
November 29th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Holy crap... Not a lot of people and that looks like crappy weather.

Sent from a TI-83+ Calculator

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 03:03 PM
Looks like Prukop is going to start.

Kemo
November 29th, 2014, 03:05 PM
Strangely, if the game was played in Brookings, it would be 40+ and sunny.

Red & Black
November 29th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Ha, total blizzard out there.

Kemo
That was quick. 2nd play of the game, Zenner goes 44 yards for a TD.

Bison Fan in NW MN
Haaaaaaa.......nice Big Sky defense.....

TD ZZ

Go Lehigh TU owl
What a beautiful day in the Gallatin Valley! It's a shame the Bobcat D is terrible....

Professor Chaos
Wow, if MSU continues to tackle like that Zenner will have 300+ on the ground by himself.

Lehigh'98
That didnt take long. TD Jacks 7-0. Zenner

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Big return....flag

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Big pass for MSU.....

X-Factor
November 29th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Funny watching the players skirt around the field in the snow

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Nice 4th down conversion for MSU.

Drblankstare
November 29th, 2014, 03:14 PM
What's the over under on total passes 25?

centennial
November 29th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Can't tell where they are, terrible football day

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 03:17 PM
Nice answer for MSU.

TD

Kemo
November 29th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Nice drive by the Bobcats, but bobble the PAT and don't get the kick off.

7-6 Rabbits.

centennial
November 29th, 2014, 03:22 PM
TD just like that!

Kemo
November 29th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Zenner takes a swing pass for 70 yards and a TD.

Drblankstare
November 29th, 2014, 03:23 PM
TD Zenner again

Drblankstare
November 29th, 2014, 03:28 PM
It looks just gorgeous in Missoula.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 03:35 PM
SDSU is mixing in the pass nicely!

dewey
November 29th, 2014, 03:40 PM
It looks just gorgeous in Missoula.

Are you talking about Bozeman or was that in the wrong thread?

Both Bozeman and Missoula are beautiful areas.

Dewey

PantherRob82
November 29th, 2014, 03:41 PM
Will SDSU score on every drive?

Bison Fan in NW MN
Tough to come back if MSU cannot stop anything.

Kemo
14-6 SDSU at the end of the 1st quarter. Jacks knocking on the door again.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 03:47 PM
That is a TD!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2014, 03:48 PM
SDSU has to convert that...wow

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 03:49 PM
FG...SDSU up 17-6

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 03:51 PM
SDSU has 21 plays for 209 yards

Drblankstare
November 29th, 2014, 03:53 PM
Are you talking about Bozeman or was that in the wrong thread?

Both Bozeman and Missoula are beautiful areas.

Dewey

No I had just switched over to the Montana game and was making a comparison about the game conditions.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 03:54 PM
wow...fake punt!

Kemo
November 29th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Am I watching Montana State or Indiana State?

Bobcats convert a fake punt on 3 and 11 from their own 27.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Both teams are surprisingly pass happy...

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2014, 03:55 PM
There was about 4 different points that fake punt could've gone wrong for MSU. Gutsy call, great execution.

X-Factor
November 29th, 2014, 03:58 PM
There was about 4 different points that fake punt could've gone wrong for MSU. Gutsy call, great execution.
And they find a way to squander their new opportunity

centennial
November 29th, 2014, 04:02 PM
No reason to tackle the punter.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 04:02 PM
wow...roughing the kicker....

Drblankstare
November 29th, 2014, 04:04 PM
And the Oscar goes to..... SDSU punter

- - - Updated - - -

He did get hit on the back leg, but he really flopped. Smart though

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Haha, that flop by SDSU's punter would make a soccer player proud. I think the refs punished him for bad acting by calling running into instead of roughing (by the rule it should've been roughing since they contacted the punter's plant leg). First down regardless but SDSU punting again. Big return by Johnson. MSU set up with good field position.

Kemo
November 29th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Ethan Sawyer (SDSU's punter) has to be at least a theater minor. All year, if he gets breathed on, he goes down like he's been shot.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Nice pass for MSU!

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Big score for MSU!

Needed that one.

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2014, 04:13 PM
TD + 2pts for MSU. SDSU leads 17-14. Guessing MSU may be done kicking XPs until (if) it stops snowing.

Drblankstare
November 29th, 2014, 04:13 PM
The Cats aren't done yet. Big TD with the 2pt convo, can their D bow their necks

Kemo
November 29th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Jacks need to stop MSU on 4th downs. That's at least 3 the Bobcats have already.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 04:17 PM
ZZ just chews up the MSU defense.

TD Jacks

Go Lehigh TU owl
That was a quick answer for SDSU!

Kemo
Zenner wrecks the Bobcat D to answer their scoring drive.

Drblankstare
Christ MST D is terrible

X-Factor
November 29th, 2014, 04:21 PM
From what I'm seeing so far I would LOVE to see MSU in Fargo next week. Not a fat chance in hell it happens though

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2014, 04:22 PM
Christ MST D is terrible

Neither defense looks good....

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2014, 04:25 PM
Neither defense looks good....
SDSU's defense is much better just based on having a playmaker like TJ Lally (#33). By far the best defensive player in this game to this point. Not much competition though.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2014, 04:28 PM
TD Bobcats on the fade! I believe MSU gets the 2nd half KO....

- - - Updated - - -

SDSU's defense is much better just based on having a playmaker like TJ Lally (#33). By far the best defensive player in this game to this point. Not much competition though.

It might be much better on paper but on the field today both defenses are really struggling....

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Yup, I'd definitely ixnay the extra points if I'm MSU. Their offense is playing well enough the they've got a pretty decent shot at getting the 2 pointers.

Kemo
November 29th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Snow is really impacting open field tackling. Defenders can't break down and stop their momentum, so it's making the defenses look worse than they already are.

centennial
November 29th, 2014, 04:31 PM
The snow favors MSU more IMO. Surprisingly, this is still a close game.

IBleedYellow
November 29th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Come on Rabbits. I want you to win... But at the same time I want to see the Bobcata in the Fargodome.

Conflicted.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 04:37 PM
Snow is really impacting open field tackling. Defenders can't break down and stop their momentum, so it's making the defenses look worse than they already are.

This here.

SDSU's defense has made more stops.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2014, 04:40 PM
SHSU gets the stop!

Theee Catrabbit
November 29th, 2014, 04:46 PM
Looks like SDSU needs to score a TD every possession and MSU needs to go for 2 everytime to catch up.

MTfan4life
November 29th, 2014, 04:48 PM
The snow favors MSU more IMO. Surprisingly, this is still a close game.

Personally, I think it favors SDSU more. Their bread and butter is Zenner running downhill. When Montana State has looked good this season, a lot of their big plays have been on the edge. It's really hard to turn the corner effectively in the snow.

centennial
November 29th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Personally, I think it favors SDSU more. Their bread and butter is Zenner running downhill. When Montana State has looked good this season, a lot of their big plays have been on the edge. It's really hard to turn the corner effectively in the snow.
On the O maybe it favors them but they would have been really hard to stop anyway. Where it hurts them is the D, SDSU would be much better.

dwtime
November 29th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Good game back and forth scoring in this one.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Bobcats take the lead!! But fail on the 2 pt attempt

MSU 26-24...

Kemo
November 29th, 2014, 05:00 PM
Jacks D just can't get off the field. Bobcats convert 2 3rd and 10+ on their way to a score.

Drblankstare
I'm so confused by this game

centennial
I predict MSU luck will run out for those 3rd down conversions.

FargoBison
November 29th, 2014, 05:01 PM

Agreed, Zenner is a pure north and south runner. This is his kind of game and he has made some huge plays.

- - - Updated - - -

On the O maybe it favors them but they would have been really hard to stop anyway. Where it hurts them is the D, SDSU would be much better.

SDSU's defense isn't really all that good. I thought if MSU had their QB they would put up some points. Really this game is going just how I thought it would.

centennial
November 29th, 2014, 05:04 PM
TD SDSU! LOL

Bison Fan in NW MN
wow...ZZ for a 60 yard TD

Kemo
Zenner for 60 yards again for the TD!

Drblankstare
I'm so confused by this game
This game still confuses me

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2014, 05:08 PM
No matter how well Sumner has played recently I can't see why SDSU doesn't give it to Zenner every time they can. The Bobcat defense has absolutely no answer for him.

They're almost scoring too quickly, it seems like SDSU's defense is getting worn down and tackling worse and worse as the game goes on. I'd think the best thing the Jackscould do is grind it out on the ground with Zenner on offense. But with the way he's shredding MSU's defense they'd probably score quicker than they would continuing to put it in the air.

Southern Bison
November 29th, 2014, 05:09 PM
I'm guessing the MEAC officiating crew is really pissed for their assignment by the NCAA. :p

dwtime
November 29th, 2014, 05:11 PM
What a catch

centennial
November 29th, 2014, 05:12 PM
Bobcat luck runs out on 3rd

Theee Catrabbit
November 29th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Zener will break 2000 on the season

FargoBison
November 29th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Snow really coming down now.

thebootfitter
November 29th, 2014, 05:21 PM
Zener would have taken that screen pass to the house if not for that good stop by MSU defender.

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Seeing MSU's TE fumble there made me realize how impressive both teams have been hanging onto the ball today in these conditions. No fumbles lost and no turnovers at all. I probably just jinxed somebody so I apologize in advance.

FargoBison
November 29th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Seeing MSU's TE fumble there made me realize how impressive both teams have been hanging onto the ball today in these conditions. No fumbles lost and no turnovers at all. I probably just jinxed somebody so I apologize in advance.

Not sure I've ever even seen Zenner fumble.

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2014, 05:27 PM
Oh man, now he's really jinxed!

IBleedYellow
November 29th, 2014, 05:27 PM
He's great when it comes to that.

LeeshaJo
November 29th, 2014, 05:30 PM
Let me break this Jinx, right now, I have seen Zenner fumble. ;)

Theee Catrabbit
November 29th, 2014, 05:30 PM
Suddenly.........defense?

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2014, 05:31 PM
Sam Houston won a couple championships before NDSU did (according to the color guy in the SDSU/MSU game)? News to me.

centennial
November 29th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Sam Houston won a couple championships before NDSU did (according to the color guy in the SDSU/MSU game)? News to me.
I don't get why these commentators bull**** like this.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 05:33 PM

Didn't SHSU win a NAIA title?

swaghook
November 29th, 2014, 05:34 PM

In 1964, Sam Houston tied Concordia College (Moorhead, MN) 7-7 in the NAIA National Championship.They are Co-champions with Concordia College. They almost had it right. ;)

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 05:42 PM
Poor defense out of MSU

centennial
November 29th, 2014, 05:43 PM
11 point game 37-26

Drblankstare
November 29th, 2014, 05:44 PM
Great pass and catch. SDSU has taken control

thebootfitter
November 29th, 2014, 05:49 PM
Wow. Prukop, you've got to take better care of the ball.

Bison Fan in NW MN
Defense wins games and MSU's is crap!

Go Lehigh TU owl
That should do it. SDSU is the honorary sacrificial lamb against NDSU....

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 05:52 PM
That wasn't an INT...hit the ground

Professor Chaos
That has to be an incomplete pass, his leg was out of bounds.

Go Lehigh TU owl
He was out of bounds before possession imo...

centennial
That was not an interception from MSU.

Drblankstare
As a Bison fan I take no joy in seeing the Jacks next week. I believe NDSU will win but the Jacks are dangerous.

thebootfitter
That totally hit the ground. No interception.

Drblankstare
November 29th, 2014, 05:53 PM
That was not an interception from MSU.
No kidding

thebootfitter
40-26. 14 point game.

SUPharmacist
As a Bison fan I take no joy in seeing the Jacks next week. I believe NDSU will win but the Jacks are dangerous.

Agreed, and what is this the 6th game in 4 years, too much familiarity.

centennial
14 point game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 05:55 PM

Bring them on!

They couldn't stop the run in the first game and they wont do it on Saturday.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed, and what is this the 6th game in 4 years, too much familiarity.

Good

Another game to continue the streak!!

Theee Catrabbit
November 29th, 2014, 05:56 PM
As a Jacks and MVFC fan...I see more joy in facing the Bison next week then the other outcome.....

Drblankstare
November 29th, 2014, 06:01 PM
I hate that late hit penalty

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2014, 06:03 PM
TD Bobcats! not dead yet!

centennial
November 29th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Wonder is MSU going to try the 2. Miss and the game is almost over.

And they did.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2014, 06:04 PM
wow! that is zero confidence in the kicking game! why not go for the xp and if ya don't get it you still go for 2 anyway?

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Let's see about 4 OTs here :D

kalm
wow! that is zero confidence in the kicking game! why not go for the xp and if ya don't get it you still go for 2 anyway?

This.

thebootfitter
Why did MSU not kick the extra point?

32-40

Drblankstare
November 29th, 2014, 06:06 PM
This game is ****ing crazy right now. Can the Cats get a stop

kalm

This too.

- - - Updated - - -

This too.

Bison Fan in NW MN
Gut check time for the MSU defense!

xnodx

kalm

32-40

Kicker injury?

bri-dog
November 29th, 2014, 06:07 PM

32-40

2 botched snaps, 1 blocked, and that's just the ones I remember...

thebootfitter
November 29th, 2014, 06:09 PM
Wow! What a run by Zenner!

47-32, SDSU.

Over 250 rushing yards from ZZ.

centennial
NAIL!

Bison Fan in NW MN
Gut check time for the MSU defense!

xnodx

Haaa...what a crappy defense!!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
...and that will do it!

Drblankstare
See you in Fargo Zach

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 06:10 PM
MSU defense = crap!

252 yards for ZZ...xthumbsupx

Theee Catrabbit
November 29th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Zener earns his rep.....

thebootfitter
Nice hit, number 94!

MSU player hits his own returner to bump him back.

kalm
MSU defense = crap!

252 yards for ZZ...xthumbsupx

Hey…you should say the MSU defense is crap!

Twocents...

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2014, 06:12 PM
It might be any interesting offseason for MSU. I thought Ash was going to leave last year in an attempt to get back to the Midwest. It would not shock me if he decided to explore some options. I feel MSU under him has somewhat plateaued and I know his family are not big Bozeman fans. I'm sure he'll spend some down in Arizona golfing to think about....

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 06:15 PM
Hey…you should say the MSU defense is crap!

Twocents...

Montana State's defense is ranked 114/121 and they lived up to their earned ranking....xlolx

Professor Chaos
Montana St really should've just onside kicked every time they kicked off. With that defense they couldn't have done any worse.

bobcathpdevil56
It might be any interesting offseason for MSU. I thought Ash was going to leave last year in an attempt to get back to the Midwest. It would not shock me if he decided to explore some options. I feel MSU under him has somewhat plateaued and I know his family are not big Bozeman fans. I'm sure he'll spend some down in Arizona golfing to think about....

I don't want to necessarily see Ash go, but something needs to be done about that defense.

Gil Dobie
November 29th, 2014, 06:16 PM
Congrats Jacks!

kalm
November 29th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Montana State's defense is ranked 114/121 and they lived up to their earned ranking....xlolx

You never disappoint.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 06:20 PM
You never disappoint.

xbawlingxxbawlingx

Cleets
November 29th, 2014, 06:21 PM
There's still a game going on here...

centennial
November 29th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Exciting finish.

- - - Updated - - -

Game over

Gil Dobie
November 29th, 2014, 06:23 PM
There's still a game going on here...

Enjoy

kalm
xbawlingxxbawlingx

I'm sorry. That was mean.

Go Jacks!

Cleets
If you told the Bobcats they would give up about 100 points their last two games...
They might have said "No Way"

Drblankstare
This game has been bonkers from the start.

Bisonator
November 29th, 2014, 06:25 PM
Congrats Jacks! Your prize is a return to Fargo!xthumbsupx

Red & Black
November 29th, 2014, 06:31 PM
Crazy game. Congrats to MSU on a good season.

skinny_uncle
November 29th, 2014, 06:31 PM
Good job, Bunnies.

SIUSalukiFan
November 29th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Congrats, South Dakota State. Way to represent the MVFC!

Jacked_Rabbit
November 29th, 2014, 06:48 PM
Congrats Jacks! Your prize is a return to Fargo!xthumbsupx

Best prize we could ask for!!!! Can't wait... - Bart Scott

SDSU 31. Bison 30.

F'N Hawks
November 29th, 2014, 07:17 PM
I don't want to necessarily see Ash go, but something needs to be done about that defense.

Yah, but...but..you had SIX all conference defensive players. Everything must be alright.

F'N Hawks
November 29th, 2014, 07:19 PM

I assume you think that SDSU's is crap as well because they got lit up all game, too. MSU's RB had 5 TD's as well, in case you missed it.

Bisonator
November 29th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Best prize we could ask for!!!! Can't wait... - Bart Scott

SDSU 31. Bison 30.

You've obviously been drinking. It's understandable!xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 07:54 PM
I assume you think that SDSU's is crap as well because they got lit up all game, too. MSU's RB had 5 TD's as well, in case you missed it.

Oh bless our hearts a sue troll on here.

I forgot....is your team still playing?

Oh, and in case you missed it. Who made the defensive stops when it counted? Enough said.

catbob
November 29th, 2014, 08:12 PM
I am fairly pleased with the season overall, and believe or not some other Cat fans are too. Considering many wrote us off after graduating McGhee, Bleskin, Kirk and Daly. Even us Cat fans were hoping for 8-4 and a playoff birth, many thought 7-5.

The story for this season starts in the spring.

A penciled in starting DE tears an ACL in spring, and a major DE contributor retires on the same freakin day. Another DE would retire before the season started, who was a good special teams guy and depth guy. Oh I forgot to add Conner Verlanic, who many though was the best recruit in Montana a few years ago, retire as well at DE.

Our starting senior safety Barnett has been in and out his whole career here (6th season this year). A guy who was a solid SR backup and had started some games last year at corner went down for the season.

Our All-Conference middle linebacker missed all of last year and it was clear he was hurt this whole year too, but we didn't have any better options. His stand in last year, who was ineligible the first 4 games, came back and played a few games and then he also suffered a career ending injury. The number 2 guys behind Na (before Foster came back) and OLB, both suffered season ending injuries as well (both RS FR or SO I believe).

Kurt Davis, a highly touted WR drop down from UNLV never even got to play a snap for the Cats after coming in last year as a junior. He tore his ACL on the first day of camp last year, and I can't remember what happened to him this fall camp... I think he may have been dismissed or quit.

Our most experienced WR, SRBrian Flotkoetter was injured for the season in the last moments of the EWU game. David Dash, another SR who was going to start in the slot, had a career ending injury in fall camp. Another WR who started a few games early this season was injured for the year as well after the 2nd game.

That's basically 4 of our top 5 WRs all done before the 5th game of the year.

Our starting LG went down for a few weeks as well, but we were pretty loaded on the OL so we just shuffled around and the group played so well that the starter came back and didn't have a job anymore.

Then we get to the two biggest ones, Shawn Johnson and Dakoto Prukop. Prukop goes down at PSU, and Bleskin plays well at ISU. Plays horrible at UM plus injures his shoulder in the process. Prukop was obviously hobbled today, there were so many times he looked like he had a huge hole and he just couldn't accelerate and would slide. Note to SDSU fans - Prukop isn't a slider, he would plow into defenders all year (he played safety in high school). The fact that he was sliding alone showed how injured he truly was.

Johnson is the X factor in the whole offense, and it was clear how much we missed him today. He came up limp after a big run early on at Cal Poly, which may have gone for a TD, and this was his first game back. Even he looked about 90% today.

Not to mention the two transfers who many thought would start right away. WaWa Leota was supposed to be at the very least great depth a DT, many assumed he would start day 1 after transferring from a JC. Never made it to campus. And then the saga of Garrett Marino, the 4 star DE who couldn't get his **** together, started a few games as a true freshman, showed flashes, but showed a temper and no discipline, and was eventually kicked off the team.

It was a crazy, crazy season dating back to spring camp. The fact that we finished 8-4 with a home playoff game, which we had our chances in, to me shows how much depth Ash really has built over the last few years.

Red & Black
November 29th, 2014, 08:32 PM
I am fairly pleased with the season overall, and believe or not some other Cat fans are too. Considering many wrote us off after graduating McGhee, Bleskin, Kirk and Daly. Even us Cat fans were hoping for 8-4 and a playoff birth, many thought 7-5.

The story for this season starts in the spring.

A penciled in starting DE tears an ACL in spring, and a major DE contributor retires on the same freakin day. Another DE would retire before the season started, who was a good special teams guy and depth guy. Oh I forgot to add Conner Verlanic, who many though was the best recruit in Montana a few years ago, retire as well at DE.

Our starting senior safety Barnett has been in and out his whole career here (6th season this year). A guy who was a solid SR backup and had started some games last year at corner went down for the season.

Our All-Conference middle linebacker missed all of last year and it was clear he was hurt this whole year too, but we didn't have any better options. His stand in last year, who was ineligible the first 4 games, came back and played a few games and then he also suffered a career ending injury. The number 2 guys behind Na (before Foster came back) and OLB, both suffered season ending injuries as well (both RS FR or SO I believe).

Kurt Davis, a highly touted WR drop down from UNLV never even got to play a snap for the Cats after coming in last year as a junior. He tore his ACL on the first day of camp last year, and I can't remember what happened to him this fall camp... I think he may have been dismissed or quit.

Our most experienced WR, SRBrian Flotkoetter was injured for the season in the last moments of the EWU game. David Dash, another SR who was going to start in the slot, had a career ending injury in fall camp. Another WR who started a few games early this season was injured for the year as well after the 2nd game.

That's basically 4 of our top 5 WRs all done before the 5th game of the year.

Our starting LG went down for a few weeks as well, but we were pretty loaded on the OL so we just shuffled around and the group played so well that the starter came back and didn't have a job anymore.

Then we get to the two biggest ones, Shawn Johnson and Dakoto Prukop. Prukop goes down at PSU, and Bleskin plays well at ISU. Plays horrible at UM plus injures his shoulder in the process. Prukop was obviously hobbled today, there were so many times he looked like he had a huge hole and he just couldn't accelerate and would slide. Note to SDSU fans - Prukop isn't a slider, he would plow into defenders all year (he played safety in high school). The fact that he was sliding alone showed how injured he truly was.

Johnson is the X factor in the whole offense, and it was clear how much we missed him today. He came up limp after a big run early on at Cal Poly, which may have gone for a TD, and this was his first game back. Even he looked about 90% today.

Not to mention the two transfers who many thought would start right away. WaWa Leota was supposed to be at the very least great depth a DT, many assumed he would start day 1 after transferring from a JC. Never made it to campus. And then the saga of Garrett Marino, the 4 star DE who couldn't get his **** together, started a few games as a true freshman, showed flashes, but showed a temper and no discipline, and was eventually kicked off the team.

It was a crazy, crazy season dating back to spring camp. The fact that we finished 8-4 with a home playoff game, which we had our chances in, to me shows how much depth Ash really has built over the last few years.

Damn dude. Just reading this is depressing. I'd say with all that adversity MSU had a pretty damn good season.

kalm
November 29th, 2014, 09:44 PM
Damn dude. Just reading this is depressing. I'd say with all that adversity MSU had a pretty damn good season.

Yep. Nothing to hang your heads about.

frozennorth
November 29th, 2014, 10:32 PM

SDSU had one of the weaker valley defenses, especially against the run. But keep trying, someday you might know what your talking about.

Hambone
November 29th, 2014, 10:48 PM
SDSU had one of the weaker valley defenses, especially against the run. But keep trying, someday you might know what your talking about.

Out of of curiousity what is he saying that he doesn't know what he's talking about? We hear about how awesome MVFC defenses are and how Big Fluffy defenses are terrible, but he's just pointing out that SDSUs defense was just as bad during the game. You essentially confirmed what he said.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 30th, 2014, 05:38 AM
Out of of curiousity what is he saying that he doesn't know what he's talking about? We hear about how awesome MVFC defenses are and how Big Fluffy defenses are terrible, but he's just pointing out that SDSUs defense was just as bad during the game. You essentially confirmed what he said.

SDSU's just as bad huh?

Montana State's defense is ranked towards the bottom of the FCS for a reason....they are bad.

Granted the field was terrible but it was terrible for both teams. SDSU had scoring drives of drives of 2, 3, 3, 3, 2 and 10 plays. MSU had to grind it out a little more with drives of 12, 7, 9, 11, 9, and 11 plays.

This game would have been a SDSU rout if the weather conditions were "normal".

caribbeanhen
November 30th, 2014, 07:52 AM
I'm picking the jackrabbits 52-38

not bad considering the snow

Professor Chaos
November 30th, 2014, 08:09 AM
Meh, if you thought SDSU's defense was just as bad you're just selectively looking at the box score and didn't really pay attention to the game. MSU allowed 3.5 more yards per play (8.9) than SDSU did (5.5). MSU went 6-7 on 4th down on top of that. They needed every one of them to put up the points they did and they weren't all 4th and short either.

On top of that just watching the game SDSU was controlling the trenches defensively a good portion of that game. Prukop made some great throws and MSU's receivers made some great catches but they weren't imposing their will like the SDSU offense did.

kalm
November 30th, 2014, 08:10 AM
SDSU's just as bad huh?

Montana State's defense is ranked towards the bottom of the FCS for a reason....they are bad.

Granted the field was terrible but it was terrible for both teams. SDSU had scoring drives of drives of 2, 3, 3, 3, 2 and 10 plays. MSU had to grind it out a little more with drives of 12, 7, 9, 11, 9, and 11 plays.

Why?

kalm
November 30th, 2014, 08:12 AM
Meh, if you thought SDSU's defense was just as bad you're just selectively looking at the box score and didn't really pay attention to the game. MSU allowed 3.5 more yards per play (8.9) than SDSU did (5.5). MSU went 6-7 on 4th down on top of that. And they needed every one of them to put up the points they did.

Well I would hope they had more ypp with all of Zenner's shenanigans.

This was only one game, but I would also like to point out there's a bit of playoff history between the Valley and the Sky that would indicate the Valley struggles against BSC offenses.

CappinHard
November 30th, 2014, 09:21 AM
All I know is the defense can't play like that in Fargo. Regardless of their comparison to any other defense, if we play like that, we will get stomped. They are going to need their best game of the year on defense to have a chance. I don't think the offense will have a problem.

Kemo
November 30th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Meh, if you thought SDSU's defense was just as bad you're just selectively looking at the box score and didn't really pay attention to the game. MSU allowed 3.5 more yards per play (8.9) than SDSU did (5.5). MSU went 6-7 on 4th down on top of that. They needed every one of them to put up the points they did and they weren't all 4th and short either.

On top of that just watching the game SDSU was controlling the trenches defensively a good portion of that game. Prukop made some great throws and MSU's receivers made some great catches but they weren't imposing their will like the SDSU offense did.
This describes how the game played out for SDSU's defense really well.

The Jacks D had a lot of nice plays on the defensive side of the ball and was far from being dominated, but not only did Montana State convert all those 4th downs, they also converted a bunch of 3rd and longs as well. That's a credit to Montana State, because they made some plays, particularly Dakota Prukop. Even though many QB's that can run get touted as a "duel threat," Prukop was actually that. He made good decisions down field and was dropping passes in the bucket in unfavorable conditions. Just really impressed with the kid.

The weather really gave powerful backs a significant advantage in this one, too. The footing didn't allow defenders to change speed and direction, therefore they had trouble getting square hits on runners and many times couldn't muster enough force and leg drive to take down the bruising backs. This was illustrated by Zenner's and Newell's performances, though the difference being that Zenner has the speed to take it barnyard after a failed tackle attempt.

underdawg
November 30th, 2014, 04:30 PM

The Jacks D had a lot of nice plays on the defensive side of the ball and was far from being dominated, but not only did Montana State convert all those 4th downs, they also converted a bunch of 3rd and longs as well. That's a credit to Montana State, because they made some plays, particularly Dakota Prukop. Even though many QB's that can run get touted as a "duel threat," Prukop was actually that. He made good decisions down field and was dropping passes in the bucket in unfavorable conditions. Just really impressed with the kid.

The weather really gave powerful backs a significant advantage in this one, too. The footing didn't allow defenders to change speed and direction, therefore they had trouble getting square hits on runners and many times couldn't muster enough force and leg drive to take down the bruising backs. This was illustrated by Zenner's and Newell's performances, though the difference being that Zenner has the speed to take it barnyard after a failed tackle attempt.

I must say, I don't know what Zenner's 40 time is but he has excellent football speed and rarely gets caught when he gets a five yard head start over a D back--he also is pretty durable (hope i didn't jinx him!)

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 30th, 2014, 07:59 PM
All I know is the defense can't play like that in Fargo. Regardless of their comparison to any other defense, if we play like that, we will get stomped. They are going to need their best game of the year on defense to have a chance. I don't think the offense will have a problem.

The Bison offense had almost 40 minutes of TOP in the first game. Pretty hard to score when you are not on the field. Plus, the last time I checked the Bison defense is better than average....xeyebrowx

SDSU couldn't block Emanuel the first game.

Walkon79
November 30th, 2014, 08:31 PM
SDSU's just as bad huh?

Ridiculous statement with no basis in fact. The Cats might have scored 70 on a decent field. See what I did there?

clenz
November 30th, 2014, 08:40 PM
Does the Big Sky know how to stop the run?

In 9 MVFC/Big Sky games the MVFC ran for 2,267 yards on 408 carries (5.6 YPC).

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 30th, 2014, 08:48 PM

Bobcat fans are a great bunch. They've lost to the Griz the last two years by 14 and 27, neither game was really close, yet it's on to next year. Lehigh fans are claiming the program is in shambles after two similar results against their equally hated rival. Coen and Ash are A LOT, loyal, relatively calm collected individuals. Both seem to rely on their coordinators a lot and both have terrible defenses...xrotatehx

Hopefully 2015 is better for both!

Red & Black
November 30th, 2014, 10:05 PM
Does the Big Sky know how to stop the run?

In 9 MVFC/Big Sky games the MVFC ran for 2,267 yards on 408 carries (5.6 YPC).

We'll find out. Seems we did just fine against the run last season against our only MVFC opponent. I believe Mr. Zenner was held to 87 yards. Not bad, but pretty low compared to his other performances last year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 1st, 2014, 06:04 AM
Ridiculous statement with no basis in fact. The Cats might have scored 70 on a decent field. See what I did there?

Your defense is ranked 114/121...ya, they would have stuffed SDSU with no winter conditions...xlolx

The offenses had an advantage because of the conditions, they knew where they were going and the defensive players are a step behind because of the conditions. SDSU's O-line had a great push up front all game long.

Keep up the fight though!!!

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 1st, 2014, 06:09 AM
We'll find out. Seems we did just fine against the run last season against our only MVFC opponent. I believe Mr. Zenner was held to 87 yards. Not bad, but pretty low compared to his other performances last year.

Is VA 100% now?

clenz
December 1st, 2014, 07:15 AM

SDSU probably scores 90-100 then

YoUDeeMan
December 1st, 2014, 07:26 AM
Hot knife through butter.

Who knew MSU hired Weaver on as a consultant?

clenz
December 1st, 2014, 07:58 AM

If you'are an average, or below MVFC defense that's pretty nice.

SIU (who missed the playoffs) held him to an identical YPC
UNI held him to 106 yards (same YPC) in OTs...with 3 guys on the DL that were 3rd string coming out of fall camp...UNI's defense wasn't great last year
NDSU....there is a reason there is now an official term in the MVFC called a "Zenner"

Hell...South Dakota...freaking South Dakota...held him to just 4.4 YPC

I was impressed with how EWU played ZZ last year but I don't know about facing DJ or Coprich. Both of them are better at making the hole to run through than Zenner. ZZ is great at the cut back and busting out. DJ and Coprich just make a hole and go through it, doesn't even have to be a big hole. If you can stop the cut backs on Zenner you'll slow him down greatly (UNI did that this year and he had 80 yards on 29 carries (2.8 ypc).

EWU is giving up 166 yards on the ground to Big Sky teams. Big Sky has some nice backs, but nothing quite like what the MVFC rolls out. Nor do Big Sky teams try to establish the run quite like MVFC teams (Cal Poly excluded).

DJ is third in the league in rushing yards, and he's over 1,500. There are 4 backs over 1,400 yards, 5 over 1,300 and 6 over 1,250. The Big Sky's top back would be 5th in the MVFC in rushing yards.

I can't wait to see how DJ or Coprich do against Montana/EWU

Walkon79
December 1st, 2014, 02:29 PM
Your defense is ranked 114/121...ya, they would have stuffed SDSU with no winter conditions...xlolx

The offenses had an advantage because of the conditions, they knew where they were going and the defensive players are a step behind because of the conditions. SDSU's O-line had a great push up front all game long.

Keep up the fight though!!!

So why does one assume a blow-out on a decent field? SDSU couldn't stop the Cats either.

Walkon79
December 1st, 2014, 02:33 PM

Probably the best post-game analysis I've read so far.xnodx

RabidRabbit
December 1st, 2014, 05:17 PM
A healthy Prukop, along with a healthier Shawn Johnson, would have extended several runs, and may have modified the outcome.

The MSU fans while down in #'s, were boisterous and loud. Congrats on getting 7.7K to the single digits, snow bowl. As Zenner said after the game, the running/traction was better at Bozeman than what SDSU had played on the proceeding two weeks.

SDSU/MSU, SHSU/SLU, & JMU/Liberty were the 3 balanced games Sat.

Kemo
December 1st, 2014, 06:56 PM
SDSU highlights from the game vs Montana State:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPUd4aI8iZY

Walkon79
December 2nd, 2014, 11:26 AM
A healthy Prukop, along with a healthier Shawn Johnson, would have extended several runs, and may have modified the outcome.

The MSU fans while down in #'s, were boisterous and loud. Congrats on getting 7.7K to the single digits, snow bowl. As Zenner said after the game, the running/traction was better at Bozeman than what SDSU had played on the proceeding two weeks.

SDSU/MSU, SHSU/SLU, & JMU/Liberty were the 3 balanced games Sat.

If we can make some changes defensively and at least be average to a little above, look out in 2015! We graduate:

Shawn-John
One offensive lineman
Our two deep at TE

Off of a unit that set a school record in scoring and total yards.

If we could be at least in the top 50% defensively instead of the bottom 5%.......

JimmyJack
December 2nd, 2014, 02:12 PM
If we can make some changes defensively and at least be average to a little above, look out in 2015! We graduate:

Shawn-John
One offensive lineman
Our two deep at TE

Off of a unit that set a school record in scoring and total yards.

If we could be at least in the top 50% defensively instead of the bottom 5%.......

I was impressed with MSU's skill players especially. Looks like the Cats should be pretty salty next year. I think the line play, though, on both sides of the ball will need to improve a good deal if MSU is to make a run in the playoffs next year.