PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Ivy League Awards

smallcollegefbfan
November 25th, 2014, 02:29 PM
2014 IVY LEAGUE FOOTBALL ALL-IVY, ROOKIE OF THE YEAR AND COACH OF THE YEAR ANNOUNCED
ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
Nick Gesualdi, Cornell (Fr., S - Sykesville, Md.)

COACH OF THE YEAR
Tim Murphy, Harvard

FIRST TEAM ALL-IVY
Offense
Nicholas Codrea, Brown (Sr., OL - Tallmadge, Ohio)
Scotty Whitmore, Dartmouth (Sr., OL - Spring, Texas)
Sean Ronan, Dartmouth (Sr., C - Boca Raton, Fla.)
Nick Easton, Harvard (Sr., OL - Lenoir, N.C.)
Cole Toner, Harvard (Jr., OL - Greenwood, Ind.)
Ben Carbery, Yale (Sr., OL - Oak Park, Ill.)
Dalyn Williams, Dartmouth (Jr., QB - Corinth, Texas)
*Paul Stanton, Jr., Harvard (Jr., RB - Kenner, La.)
*Tyler Varga, Yale (Sr., TB - Kitchener, Ontario, Canada)
Ryan McManus, Dartmouth (Sr., WR/PR - Mendota Heights, Minn.)
Spencer Kulcsar, Penn (Sr., WR - Haworth, N.J.)
Deon Randall, Yale (Sr., WR - San Diego)
Grant Wallace, Yale (Sr., WR - St. Louis)
Tyler Hamblin, Harvard (Sr., TE - Syracuse, N.Y.)

Defense
Evan Chrustic, Dartmouth (Sr., DL - Andover, N.J.)
A.J. Zuttah, Dartmouth (Jr., DT - Edison, N.J.)
*Zack Hodges, Harvard (Sr., DL - Atlanta)
Obum Obukwelu, Harvard (Sr., DL - Brockton, Mass.)
Xavier Russo, Brown (Sr., ILB - San Francisco)
*Will McNamara, Dartmouth (Sr., LB - Chicago)
Connor Sheehan, Harvard (Sr., LB - Austin, Texas)
*Mike Zeuli, Princeton (Sr., LB - Marlton, N.J.)
Jacob Supron, Brown (Sr., DB - Mansfield, Ohio)
Troy Donahue, Dartmouth (Sr., DB - Greenwood Village, Colo.)
Vernon Harris, Dartmouth (Jr., DB - Fort Lauderdale, Fla.)
Sean Ahern, Harvard (Jr., DB - Cincinnati)
*Norman Hayes, Harvard (Sr., DB - Tucker, Ga.)

Special Teams
Nolan Bieck, Princeton (Jr., PK - Fort Lauderdale, Fla.)
Kyle Cazzetta, Yale (Sr., PK - Slate Hill, N.Y.)
*Chris Fraser, Cornell (So., P - Potomac, Md.)
Ryan McManus, Dartmouth (Sr., WR/PR - Mendota Heights, Minn.)

SECOND TEAM ALL-IVY
Offense
Jacob Flores, Dartmouth (Jr., OL - Arlington, Texas)
Britt Colcolough, Princeton (Jr., OL - Memphis, Tenn.)
Mike Ramos, Princeton (Sr., OL - Cleveland)
William Chism, Yale (Sr., OL - Ridgeland, Miss.)
Luke Longinotti, Yale (Jr., C - Burlingame, Calif.)
Morgan Roberts, Yale (Jr., QB - Charlotte)
Cameron Molina, Columbia (Jr., RB - Broadlands, Va.)
Luke Hagy, Cornell (Jr., RB - Pittsburgh)
Kyle Bramble, Dartmouth (Jr., RB - Floyds Knobs, Ind.)
Anthony Firkser, Harvard (So., TE/H-Back - Manalapan, N.J.)
Brian Strachan, Brown (Sr., WR - Wellesley, Mass.)
Andrew Fischer, Harvard (Jr., WR/RS - Diamond Bar, Calif.)
Ryan O'Malley, Penn (Sr., TE - Summit, N.J.)

Defense
Zach Sparber, Brown (Sr., DL - Norwood, N.J.)
Niko Padilla, Columbia (Jr., DL - Dallas)
Cody Fulleton, Dartmouth (Jr., DE - Seattle)
Tyler Desiré, Princeton (So., DL - Uniondale, N.Y.)
Copache Tyler, Yale (So., DL - Springfield, Ill.)
Jacob Lindsey, Harvard (Jr., LB - Cleves, Ohio)
Eric Medes, Harvard (Jr., LB - Mount Laurel, N.J.)
Daniel Davis, Penn (Sr., LB - Norman, Okla.)
Charles Cook, Yale (Sr., LB - Dallas)
Stephen Dazzo, Dartmouth (Sr., DB - Arlington Heights, Ill.)
Evan Jackson, Penn (Sr., DB - Hamden, Conn.)
Dorian Williams, Princeton (So., DB - Streetsboro, Ohio)
Foyesade Oluokun, Yale (So., DB - St. Louis)

Special Teams
Alex Gakenheimer, Dartmouth (So., PK - Charlotte)
Ben Kepley, Dartmouth (So., P - Charlotte)
Dré Nelson, Princeton (Jr., RS - Stone Mountain, Ga.)

HONORABLE MENTION ALL-IVY
John Heile, Brown (Jr., OL - Louisville, Ky.)
Zach Wilk, Cornell (Jr., OL - Harrisburg, Pa.)
Anthony Fabiano, Harvard (Sr., OL - Wakefield, Mass.)
Michael Mancinelli, Harvard (Sr., OL - Denver)
Adam Redmond, Harvard (Jr., OL - Strongsville, Ohio)
Candler Rich, Yale (So., TB - Newnan, Ga.)
Conner Scott, Penn (Sr., WR - Kenilworth, Ill.)
Connor Kelley, Princeton (Sr., WR - Batesville, Ind.)
Scott Carpenter, Princeton (So., TE - Vienna, Va.)
Leo Haenni, Yale (So., TE - Franklin, Ohio)
Chad Berry, Brown (Jr., DL - East Lyme, Conn.)
James Duberg, Harvard (Jr., DL - Chula Vista, Calif.)
Daniel Giovacchini, Brown (Sr., LB - Acton, Mass.)
Ryan MacDonald, Brown (Jr., OLB - Falmouth, Maine)
Toba Akinleye, Columbia (Jr., OLB - Brooklyn, N.Y.)
Zach Slafsky, Dartmouth (Jr., LB - Boca Raton, Fla.)
Tyler Drake, Penn (Jr., LB - Plantation, Fla.)
Rohan Hylton, Princeton (So., LB - Orlando)
Nick Gesualdi, Cornell (Fr., S - Sykesville, Md.)
Chris Evans, Harvard (Jr., DB - Princeton Junction, N.J.)
Anthony Gaffney, Princeton (Jr., DB - Columbus, N.J.)
Cole Champion, Yale (Jr., DB - Fort Lauderdale, Fla.)
Tyler Roth, Princeton (So., P - Pittsburgh)
Andrew Fischer, Harvard (Jr., WR/RS - Diamond Bar, Calif.)

* Unanimous Selection

Go Green
November 25th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Dartmouth fans can't believe that Dalyn Williams wasn't a unanimous selection.

And congrats to Harvard's Andrew Fischer, who received both Second Team and Honorable Mention honors as a receiver. I don't think that has ever happened before. He's that good!

:)

Ivytalk
November 25th, 2014, 07:00 PM

And congrats to Harvard's Andrew Fischer, who received both Second Team and Honorable Mention honors as a receiver. I don't think that has ever happened before. He's that good!

Aw, you mean somebody had the effrontery to vote for another QB for first team? Maybe even the Penn kid....

bulldog10jw
November 26th, 2014, 02:49 PM

Since Roberts was the Ivy League offensive player of the week at least twice, and was the second team QB, I fail to see how this is a surprise.

Go Green
November 26th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Since Roberts was the Ivy League offensive player of the week at least twice, and was the second team QB, I fail to see how this is a surprise.

Because there were plenty of coaches in post-game interviews who sung Williams' praises and said that he won the game.

Roberts... not so much. Varga was the guy carrying Yale.

Whoever the coach was, I'd love to hear his rationale as to why Roberts was better than Williams.

And it was Roberts. No other QB got honorable mention so it appears nobody else got any votes.

bulldog10jw
November 26th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Because there were plenty of coaches in post-game interviews who sung Williams' praises and said that he won the game.

In that case, you can eliminate those coaches and concentrate on the ones who didn't sing Williams' praises and say that he won the game.

By the way. How do you become a "unanimous" choice. Coaches cannot vote for their own players, can they? Or can they?

Go Green
November 26th, 2014, 06:30 PM
By the way. How do you become a "unanimous" choice. Coaches cannot vote for their own players, can they? Or can they?

My understanding is that they can't. But seven votes makes you a unanimous selection.

carney2
November 27th, 2014, 05:25 PM
My calculator tells me that more than 40% of Ivy starters made all-league, including honorable mention.

Go Green
November 28th, 2014, 06:25 AM
My calculator tells me that more than 40% of Ivy starters made all-league, including honorable mention.

It used to be strictly 11 guys on offense and 11 guys on defense for each All-Ivy team. In the old days, they actually broke it down between "C." "G," "T," "NG," etc.

About 10 years ago, they started putting 13 or 14 guys on the first team and carried that down. I protested for a few years, but have resigned myself to the new reality.

But yeah-- making "All Ivy" isn't what it used to be. I didn't mind it when they started giving All-Ivy honors to kick returners a few years back. But at some point, they will probably start doing it for the long snappers and PAT holders as well...

smallcollegefbfan
November 28th, 2014, 07:11 AM

Roberts... not so much. Varga was the guy carrying Yale.

Whoever the coach was, I'd love to hear his rationale as to why Roberts was better than Williams.

And it was Roberts. No other QB got honorable mention so it appears nobody else got any votes.

Williams is a very good player but anytime a coach loses to a school they are going to sing the praises of the one who beat them that day. Maybe they sang the praises of any player who beat them. You can't take post game comments as a sign that a player will win a certain award. It's very likely that a coach picked another player because he felt that player was tougher on them than Dalyn. The week Roberts got POW (if he did?) might be the school who voted for him.

It is very hard to be unanimous. Look at the OL. How Nick Easton and Cole Toner aren't unanimous are surprising to me but I know how voting can go. Sometimes a coach will throw a bone to a friend.

bulldog10jw
November 28th, 2014, 08:13 AM
(if he did?)

http://www.yalebulldogs.com/sports/m-footbl/2014-15/releases/20141006u5702k

http://www.yalebulldogs.com/sports/m-footbl/2014-15/releases/20141027kz1xv9

smallcollegefbfan
November 28th, 2014, 08:24 AM

Like I said, could have been throwing a buddy a bone. Also, take what coaches say with a grain of salt. I have heard players tell me their coach was talking crap about a team in front of them but in person did nothing but praise their star RB and talk about how good of a team they are. Coaches say a lot of things publicly that they don't mean and they do a lot of favors for friends as well.

Go Green
November 28th, 2014, 08:47 AM

Williams got POW after the Cornell game as well

As for Penn, It wasn't Williams' best passing day, but that was because Dartmouth knew that we could run against them so we did. Williams made a lot of Penn guys look silly by juking them out. He won the game with his legs.

In any event, what's done is done. Bushnell finalists get named on Tuesday, and I'm fully expecting Varga and Williams to be named as Offensive POY guys. Varga may be the favorite.

Defensive POY will be Harvard's Hodges. Only suspense is who get the other finalist spot (probably Princeton's Zeuli).

bulldog10jw
November 28th, 2014, 09:10 AM
Williams got POW after the Cornell game as well

As for Penn, It wasn't Williams' best passing day, but that was because Dartmouth knew that we could run against them so we did. Williams made a lot of Penn guys look silly by juking them out. He won the game with his legs.

In any event, what's done is done. Bushnell finalists get named on Tuesday, and I'm fully expecting Varga and Williams to be named as Offensive POY guys. Varga may be the favorite.

Defensive POY will be Harvard's Hodges. Only suspense is who get the other finalist spot (probably Princeton's Zeuli).

Williams deserved first team, no doubt. I would have voted for him myself. His running ability was a difference maker. I was just pointing out that Roberts had a decent year and two or three fantastic passing games which could have made a coach vote for him.

Maybe it was Murphy since Williams left that game with the poked eye.

Go Green
December 2nd, 2014, 02:11 PM

And that's exactly what happened.

http://www.ivyleaguesports.com/sports/fball/2014-15/releases/2014_Football_Players_of_the_Year_Finalists_Announ ced

Hodges will be a runaway winner for defensive POY. Good luck to him in the NFL draft.

Offensive POY will be closer. Varga will probably win, but Williams could steal it from him.

bulldog10jw
December 2nd, 2014, 05:04 PM
And that's exactly what happened.

http://www.ivyleaguesports.com/sports/fball/2014-15/releases/2014_Football_Players_of_the_Year_Finalists_Announ ced

Hodges will be a runaway winner for defensive POY. Good luck to him in the NFL draft.

Offensive POY will be closer. Varga will probably win, but Williams could steal it from him.

Williams is a very good player. Varga is on another level. It should be unanimous, but I guess you never know.

Go Green
December 2nd, 2014, 07:11 PM
Williams is a very good player. Varga is on another level..

Let's go to the tape again when they played head-on.

Perhaps the AGS community can tell us who they think the better player was--the Dartmouth QB or the Yale RB.

http://www.dartmouthsports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=11600&id=3469792&ATCLPID=&ATCLID=209710299&SPSID=48870&SPID=4719&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=11600

bulldog10jw
December 2nd, 2014, 07:44 PM
Let's go to the tape again when they played head-on.

Perhaps the AGS community can tell us who they think the better player was--the Dartmouth QB or the Yale RB.

http://www.dartmouthsports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=11600&id=3469792&ATCLPID=&ATCLID=209710299&SPSID=48870&SPID=4719&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=11600

But they didn't play head on. Williams played against Yale's defense. Varga against Dartmouth's.

Ivytalk
December 2nd, 2014, 08:02 PM
Varga deserves the award. As bulldog says, he plays on a higher plane, and he almost beat Harvard by himself. Williams has not played at that level in 2 career games against us. He's a very good FCS QB, and he'll have another shot.

Go Green
December 2nd, 2014, 09:42 PM
But they didn't play head on. Williams played against Yale's defense. Varga against Dartmouth's.

I'll take that as an acknowledgement that Williams was more impressive on the tape.

Go Green
December 2nd, 2014, 09:59 PM
he almost beat Harvard by himself.

And you know who got Ivy Player of the Week for that week?

Williams.

Ivytalk
December 3rd, 2014, 06:30 AM
And you know who got Ivy Player of the Week for that week?

Williams.

You're a stitch, GG. As hard as you plug for Dartmouth, without acknowledging that any other Ivy teams or players have any skills worth mentioning, you should throw your hat in the ring for the next opening as White House press secretary.

Go Green
December 3rd, 2014, 08:21 AM
You're a stitch, GG. As hard as you plug for Dartmouth, without acknowledging that any other Ivy teams or players have any skills worth mentioning, you should throw your hat in the ring for the next opening as White House press secretary.

I think you lost track of the discussion. I've said Varga will probably win it. The debate is whether Varga wins it unanimously.

If you think Varga is up there with Marinaro, and just SO FAR AHEAD of everyone else in the league that it's not even worth discussing, then I'll just have to respectfully disagree. Indeed, I thought Paul Stanton was as good as Varga and would have had the same numbers if he had played a full season.

Just watch the video I posted. You really don't think that Williams is at a higher level? Who else could have made those runs or throws? The guy is giving Fiedler a run for his money as best Dartmouth QB in formal Ivy history.