PDA

View Full Version : San Diego @ #12 Montana

Silenoz
November 25th, 2014, 02:26 PM
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/nov/23/usd-faces-montana-fcs-playoffs-toreros-pfl/
http://www.usdtoreros.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112314aaa.html
http://www.gogriz.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112314aac.html
http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/football/griz-draw-san-diego-for-playoff-opener/article_ca60fbba-4759-5f7a-809e-9b4d94b682df.html

Not a lot of respect for USD from our camp, warranted or not. I feel like I've seen several Torrero fans on here throughout the years, maybe one of them can chime in...

Our common foe, Cal Poly, kicked the sh#t out of both of us

Bisonator
November 25th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Maroon Blood bath

Silenoz
November 25th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Two minor notes:

The twinkies guys throw their stuff at the crowd, not the opposing team...

I don't know how you can throw a snowball through a window...

Grizalltheway
November 25th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Two minor notes:

I guess if you've never seen snow before, you might think it's possible. Now an ice ball, on the other hand...

ursus arctos horribilis
November 25th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Two minor notes:

yeah I read that I just thought this reporter called someone for background and just can't hear apparently. One this possible but doesn't happen and the second is not. Anybody even throwing a snowball on the field gets pointed out by those around them and ejected.

Hell the guy next to me brings bags of chips and tosses them out to the people around us when the Griz score..you don't ever give em' to the other team...especially if they need them like a lineman would.

FargoBison
November 25th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Definitely a nice little scrimmage the NCAA lined up for the Griz to prepare them for EWU. How nice of them.

GoAgs72
November 25th, 2014, 03:13 PM
If Montana loses to USD, I predict there will be lots of friendly discussion on this board until the next football season. It might be good to keep participation up.

dewey
November 25th, 2014, 03:19 PM
The Griz will roll! I would guess something like 42-14.

Dewey

veinup
November 25th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Griz will play down to SD's level for a while, then pull away and win by a few TDs.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 25th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Griz win 35-10

tomq04
November 25th, 2014, 04:41 PM
I can't imagine a world where the Griz don't win by 3 TD's.

FargoBison
November 25th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Griz 45
USD 10

cpalum
November 25th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Cal Poly played San Diego with 2nd and 3rd stringers; guys who had not played got PT in that game as it was their last game of the season. As a San Diego native I'm happy to see the Toreros get a shot in the playoffs but realistically they are way outmatched. Cal Poly held them to 3 points...defense was their liability this year.

Griz 35

USD 0

Red & Black
November 25th, 2014, 05:55 PM
Montana 52 San Diego 3

Let's be honest, this game is a joke.

Grizalltheway
November 25th, 2014, 06:36 PM
I'm sure robsnuts, wherever he is, has some advanced software that predicts a 69.3% chance of a USD win.xthumbsupx

Ivytalk
November 25th, 2014, 06:40 PM
The Toreros used to have some totally obnoxious posters on here. Where are they now?

DetroitFlyer
November 25th, 2014, 08:01 PM
San Diego is not as strong as last year. They will need to play a perfect game to hang in with Montana. Any Given Saturday. ...

mvemjsunpx
November 25th, 2014, 09:21 PM
The Toreros used to have some totally obnoxious posters on here. Where are they now?

Ready to leave the 49ers bandwagon for wherever Harbaugh heads next. xcoffeex

danefan
November 25th, 2014, 09:49 PM
56-7. San Diego shouldn't be in the playoffs.

Red & Black
November 25th, 2014, 10:50 PM
San Diego is not as strong as last year. They will need to play a perfect game to hang in with Montana. Any Given Saturday. ...

It won't matter if they do. The disparity in talent levels will make this a game better left unplayed.

On a positive note for EWU, at least the coaches and players know who to prepare for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big_Fan
November 25th, 2014, 11:05 PM
45-3 Brown Bears

Grizalltheway
November 26th, 2014, 09:13 AM
It won't matter if they do. The disparity in talent levels will make this a game better left unplayed.

On a positive note for EWU, at least the coaches and players know who to prepare for.

You mean like EWU-UM Western? At least we didn't have a say in the matter.;)

THE HERD
November 26th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Its dumb a game like this even needs to be played...its gonna be a ass whoopin to say the least. If by some miracle Montana loses this game, just fold the entire program cuz its over.

DetroitFlyer
November 26th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Yeah.... Like there has never been a blow out win in the FCS playoffs. Quit whining. USD EARNED a bid and they DESERVE to be there!

Red & Black
November 26th, 2014, 10:47 AM
You mean like EWU-UM Western? At least we didn't have a say in the matter.;)

Wasn't a commentary on whether or not anyone had a choice in the matter. It is what it is.

Cleets
November 26th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Its dumb a game like this even needs to be played...its gonna be a ass whoopin to say the least. If by some miracle Montana loses this game, just fold the entire program cuz its over.

You sound like you're in favor of a Bowl System..?

xeyebrowx

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 26th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Yeah.... Like there has never been a blow out win in the FCS playoffs. Quit whining. USD EARNED a bid and they DESERVE to be there!

Pioneer football sucks!!

D3 Concordia across the river here in Fargo would beat every team in your conference this year.

FargoBison
November 26th, 2014, 11:47 AM

They didn't earn anything. The Pioneer is the biggest joke running in the FCS and has nothing in common with a single FCS league. Just a wannabe D3 league that brings the FCS down.

THE HERD
November 26th, 2014, 01:52 PM
They didn't earn anything. The Pioneer is the biggest joke running in the FCS and has nothing in common with a single FCS league. Just a wannabe D3 league that brings the FCS down.

This!!

DetroitFlyer
November 26th, 2014, 05:52 PM
PFL rules! They must teach a special brand of stupid at that Bison school....

Gangtackle11
November 26th, 2014, 06:37 PM
MONTANA vs. SAN DIEGO!

MONTANA is weighing in with a rating of 72.3

SAN DIEGO is weighing in with a rating of 40.0

According to the Born Power Index, MONTANA is projected to be 32.3 points stronger than SAN DIEGO

danefan
November 26th, 2014, 07:01 PM

Jacksonville earned. USD didn't.

Fox 94
November 26th, 2014, 08:29 PM
Easy for state schools sucking on the taxpayers tit to belittle private schools who choose to play football and are forced to play it at the FCS level by NCAA rules.

As for dragging down the FCS, the PFL is the largest conference at this glorious level. I would ask why aren't you emulating the PFL? Why the F is your school wasting money (in most cases public money) to win at a level where nobody gives a poo?

Two F-Ing conferences, one the most prestigious and academically accomplished in the whole division, CHOOSE not to participate for the championship.

FCS is a joke and it has nothing to do with the PFL being in it.

citdog
November 26th, 2014, 08:36 PM
Easy for state schools sucking on the taxpayers tit to belittle private schools who choose to play football and are forced to play it at the FCS level by NCAA rules.

As for dragging down the FCS, the PFL is the largest conference at this glorious level. I would ask why aren't you emulating the PFL? Why the F is your school wasting money (in most cases public money) to win at a level where nobody gives a poo?

Yet ANOTHER private school crying poverty. This makes me bellylaugh every time.

Fox 94
November 26th, 2014, 09:05 PM
Yeah that was my point, we are poor.

Boo hoo.

citdog
November 26th, 2014, 09:09 PM
Yeah that was my point, we are poor.

Boo hoo.

Those two leagues play ****ty football so nobody really notices their absence. Just like the pfl.

Fox 94
November 26th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Try again.

FargoBison
November 26th, 2014, 09:40 PM

Two F-Ing conferences, one the most prestigious and academically accomplished in the whole division, CHOOSE not to participate for the championship.

I will belittle entitled little private schools all I want that think they deserve a spot in the playoffs just for existing. I will belittle a conference that does nothing to better itself and become competitive with the rest of the FCS all I want. I don't care if the PFL wants to be a DIII, DII or a fing JUCO league all I know is they don't want to be an FCS league. They don't want to do the things to be competitive, heck one PFL school played a game against a non-existent university just to try to get a win. How pathetic is that?

I look at leagues like the NEC, Big South and Patriot and I see leagues that are bettering themselves and bettering this subdivision. I respect the hell out of those leagues and those teams even though they make lack some of the power of other leagues. I respect and applaud their effort.

I look at the PFL and see I league that has had a woe is me mentality ever since they Dayton rule came into being. I see league that strives to be DIII and while I have no qualms with DIII there is a place for non-scholarship football but the FCS and the FCS playoffs isn't it. Now you will play your second playoff game and it will be a second massacre to a team that is solid but not spectacular. It is just a complete waste of everyone's time.

Meanwhile I look forward to watching Fordham and Sacred Heart play another fun competitive playoff football game with the winner having a chance to make a game of it with the top seed. Two schools that have embraced FCS football and are becoming better. All I will say is if those two can do it, why not the PFL?

Red & Black
November 26th, 2014, 10:16 PM

This post sucks.

Fox 94
November 26th, 2014, 10:28 PM
I am glad you have no qualms with D3. Again we are not allowed to play at that level.

As I've said before take your "qualms" to the NCAA and not to the PFL member schools.

Do you really think the PFL schools have any illusions of winning an FCS title? Do you really think that is why the PFL exists? isn't it obvious to you that if the IVY league wanted to challenge for FBS National Championships, much less FCS, they would?

Do you think I/we/they care if you respect them?

who are you?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 26th, 2014, 10:35 PM
In hindsight, I wish one of those Harbaugh San Diego teams got a shot in the playoffs. For one game, that crazy SOB is good enough to at least give someone a major headache if the matchup was right. I'm not saying USD would have had a shot against App State at the time. But against one of the #10-16 teams I think it would have been interesting.....

FargoBison
November 26th, 2014, 10:43 PM
I am glad you have no qualms with D3. Again we are not allowed to play at that level.

As I've said before take your "qualms" to the NCAA and not to the PFL member schools.

Do you really think the PFL schools have any illusions of winning an FCS title? Do you really think that is why the PFL exists? isn't it obvious to you that if the IVY league wanted to challenge for FBS National Championships, much less FCS, they would?

Do you think I/we/they care if you respect them?

who are you?

It wasn't the NCAA who decided to just put the PFL in the playoffs, the PFL wanted it and got it. The Ivy doesn't want to compete in the playoffs, not sure why you keep bringing them up. They are content doing their own thing and I am just fine with that.

Your comment about the PFL having zero illusions of winning an FCS title is exactly why they don't belong, it is exactly why their existence in the FCS playoffs is a complete waste of time and it exactly why the league is a joke that brings the FCS down. Go back to being like the Ivy, at least then I can act like you don't even exist. I liked it better that way, the FCS was better that way.

clenz
November 26th, 2014, 10:47 PM
FWIW, the NCAA isn't making anyone play d1 football.

You have a choice to man up and play d1 ball, not have football, or go d3.

No one is forcing you to be here... 99 percent of fcs fans would love it if the pfl went away

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

clenz
November 26th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Also, if you want me to believe Drake has no money... Well... You're ****ing high

They have a 186 million dollar endowment

clenz
November 26th, 2014, 10:51 PM
Marist... 211 million

clenz
November 26th, 2014, 10:52 PM
San Diego over 400 million

clenz
November 26th, 2014, 10:53 PM
Valpo... 180 million

clenz
November 26th, 2014, 10:53 PM
Dayton... 398 million

clenz
November 26th, 2014, 10:54 PM
Duquense... 204 million

clenz
November 26th, 2014, 10:54 PM
Jacksonville is the one that you could make that case for... 30 million

Fox 94
November 26th, 2014, 10:58 PM
Sigh.

I will let the Duquesne reference speak for itself.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 26th, 2014, 10:59 PM
FWIW, the NCAA isn't making anyone play d1 football.

You have a choice to man up and play d1 ball, not have football, or go d3.

No one is forcing you to be here... 99 percent of fcs fans would love it if the pfl went away

Imagine FCS if the MAAC was still around. I knew several La Salle players who were on the team when the school pulled the plug. They were heartbroken as were their families who would travel to see them play. I'm sure that feeling was the same at Canisius, Siena, Iona and St. John's.

Those MAAC schools were a landing spot for Northeast Catholic prep kids who weren't good enough to go ND, BC, Villanova, Fordham and Holy Cross.

Most of those schools have historically good bball programs to give them athletic recognition.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 26th, 2014, 11:09 PM
Dayton... 398 million

Dayton and Butler are big time basketball schools. They've made the right choice when it comes to allocating funds imo. Their football programs provide a diversion in the fall while everyone waits for hoops to tip-off. Valpo is a very good true mid-major program too...

While those are solid endowment figures for a private school they're not that eye opening.

Lehigh 1.1 Billion
D3 Amherst College 1.8 Billion
Bucknell 721 million
D3 Williams College 2 Billion
Colgate 825 million
D3 Hamilton College 724 million

BisonFan02
November 26th, 2014, 11:12 PM
PFL football in summary:

1) Gives me teams, other than Columbia, to pick against in my elimination pick em game (Davidson, for example)
2) Providing autobid mandates 3 more at large bids...diluting playoff pool
3) Larger selection/pool of "One and done" patsies that NDSU can bring into Fargo for a DI counter OOC game (beating up on SWAC, MEAC, and NEC teams is getting boring)
4) Keeps Patty busy not doing anything for the MVFC
5) ?????
6) Profit

Of note, the Furman rapper even thinks that your "woe is me" small private school excuse is played out.

Fox 94
November 26th, 2014, 11:15 PM
I will also let your "#6 Profit" statement speak for itself.

BisonFan02
November 26th, 2014, 11:17 PM
I will also let your "#6 Profit" statement speak for itself.

Someone missed the joke......oh well.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 26th, 2014, 11:19 PM
PFL football in summary:

1) Gives me teams, other than Columbia, to pick against in my elimination pick em game (Davidson, for example)
2) Providing autobid mandates 3 more at large bids...diluting playoff pool
3) Larger selection/pool of "One and done" patsies that NDSU can bring into Fargo for a DI counter OOC game (beating up on SWAC, MEAC, and NEC teams is getting boring)
4) Keeps Patty busy not doing anything for the MVFC
5) ?????
6) Profit

Of note, the Furman rapper even thinks that your "woe is me" small private school excuse is played out.

But what do they care? Football serves it's useful purpose for them.

If I'm Butler and a NDSU fan is making fun of me I just laugh and say we just beat #5 UNC on ESPN in Atlantis today. So what if you beat us by 100 in football. No one knows or cares. If I'm a San Diego alum and Montana fans want to talk smack I simply say the WCC gets more recognition in hoops than the Big Sky gets in anything.

In many ways, these schools have made very smart decisions when it comes to allocating funds within their athletic program. Butler, Dayton and San Diego are in great spots. Even Davidson and Valpo have very good mid-major programs that have made legitimate national waves over the years...

Sader87
November 26th, 2014, 11:23 PM
The FCS is a nice level....very good college football that for the most paht keeps D1 football in perspective.

That being said, the evah growing playoff format is a bit much.

There's no need for a 24 team, month and a half playoff format to crown our champion....it's too much.

Fox 94
November 26th, 2014, 11:26 PM
Someone missed the joke......oh well.

as did you.

Anyway PFL existed before the autobid and will continue to exist if you somehow convince the NCAA to revoke it.

We certainly did not drive the bus when it came to playoff expansion, we just came along for the ride.

Thank you NCAA for doing the right thing.

It didn't have anything to do with scholarships, budgets, endowments nor winning playoff games.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 26th, 2014, 11:27 PM
In hindsight, I wish one of those Harbaugh San Diego teams got a shot in the playoffs. For one game, that crazy SOB is good enough to at least give someone a major headache if the matchup was right. I'm not saying USD would have had a shot against App State at the time. But against one of the #10-16 teams I think it would have been interesting.....

That actually would have been pretty fun and I could see that possibly happening.

BisonFan02
November 26th, 2014, 11:31 PM

If I'm Butler and a NDSU fan is making fun of me I just laugh and say we just beat #5 UNC on ESPN in Atlantis today. So what if you beat us by 100 in football. No one knows or cares. If I'm a San Diego alum and Montana fans want to talk smack I simply say the WCC gets more recognition in hoops than the Big Sky gets in anything.

In many ways, these schools have made very smart decisions when it comes to allocating funds within their athletic program. Butler, Dayton and San Diego are in great spots. Even Davidson and Valpo have very good mid-major programs that have made legitimate national waves over the years...

...and that's just it...they don't give a **** about football...even less of a **** than most "hoops first" MVC schools the Bison get to play against...how about schools like Villanova? Either fund it or drop it. Schools like Butler and Valpo have alot more in common with Wichita St in that matter for example.

Sader87
November 26th, 2014, 11:37 PM
The thing is, just about every school playing FCS football is a "Charlie in the Box" or a "Spotted Elephant"....either too small to play with the big boys or choose not to for philosophical reasons...to pick on a particular league or school is small-minded imo.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 26th, 2014, 11:40 PM
...and that's just it...they don't give a **** about football...even less of a **** than most "hoops first" MVC schools the Bison get to play against...how about schools like Villanova? Either fund it or drop it. Schools like Butler and Valpo have alot more in common with Wichita St in that matter for example.

But there's a lot of schools that don't give a damn about football in other AQ leagues. Or, maybe they care but suck year after year after year like VMI, Georgetown, Weber State, Nicholls State, URI, Portland State, Murray State etc. The schools that whore their crappy football team out to subsidize their athletic program irk me far more than the PFL programs.

Temple was the same way. Our football program is among the very worst historically but our basketball program is among the very best. In fact, the school nearly shut down the program in 2003 but decided against it when the MAC offered us a life vest. Since then we've found our place in the world of college football while maintaining a nationally viable hoops program. That's basically what the PFL schools have done. Except the PFL is more Sun Belt than AAC xlolx

BisonFan02
November 26th, 2014, 11:44 PM
But there's a lot of schools that don't give a damn about football in other AQ leagues. Or, maybe they care but suck year after year after year like VMI, Georgetown, Weber State, Nicholls State, URI, Portland State, Murray State etc. The schools that whore their crappy football team out to subsidize their athletic program irk me far more than the PFL programs.

Temple was the same way. Our football program is among the very worst historically but our basketball program is among the very best. In fact, the school nearly shut down the program in 2003 but decided against it when the MAC offered us a life vest. Since then we've found our place in the world of college football while maintaining a nationally viable hoops program. That's basically what the PFL schools have done. Except the PFL is more Sun Belt than AAC xlolx

Yeah, the PFL would be like the Sun Belt...if the Sun Belt was non-scholly and gift wrapped an autobid to the new "playoffs" they have at that big boy level. :D xlolx

BisonFan02
November 26th, 2014, 11:48 PM
All joking aside...I'm sure a lot of college hoops fans love the fact that the Summit gets a freebie seat at the table, and a school like NDSU gets a shot at Oklahoma with facilities/dedication to the program that the Bison have xlolx (disclaimer: I'm a big bball fan and the facility upgrades can't get here soon enough)

Sader87
November 26th, 2014, 11:54 PM
Believe me, I have nothing but respect for NDSU and their football program.....but the consensus of the Holy Cross board is basically one of "does anyone really care about the FCS playoffs?"

I'm not saying they are right but in the grand scheme of things, let's not pretend that the FCS playoffs are the be all and end all either.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2014, 12:05 AM
Believe me, I have nothing but respect for NDSU and their football program.....but the consensus of the Holy Cross board is basically one of "does anyone really care about the FCS playoffs?"

I'm not saying they are right but in the grand scheme of things, let's not pretend that the FCS playoffs are the be all and end all either.

Those that are involved should absolutely care! Even Butler cared enough last year to host a game....But, the general mass don't and never will and that's perfectly fine.

I was at Penn State's 106k seats Beaver Stadium two weeks ago to root on my alma mater. While it was awesome, I've had as good or better experiences at "tiny" Andy Kerr or Fisher Field cheering on Lehigh.

I wouldn't trade my trips to NDSU or Montana for a game at LSU or Alabama. Instead, I'll make sure I get to the latter two (or something of that ilk) and enjoy it on its own merits....

BisonFan02
November 27th, 2014, 12:11 AM

Don't disagree with you about the FCS playoffs being the "be all and end all", but a little bit of perspective.

(posted for the first 1:30 min segment)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQrWd6kJPZE

For me, its the same story as when the program was DII...football is king up here regardless what level. Like many other schools (Montana, SDSU, etc.), FCS is our home....not many "casual" fans to give the illusion that "anyone really cares" in your neck of the woods perhaps....but just as noted in the video, there are regions that DO care....and we may or may not give two ****s if anyone else doesn't :D

Sader87
November 27th, 2014, 12:34 AM
I dunno....I like the level of FCS, I really do....it's still very good football but I think Holy Cross can accomplish what it wants to do with football i.e. play an Army or BC, play some good OOC teams like UNH, Harvard, Yale etc and compete for a league title every year without having to play in a 6-week playoff after that season.

citdog
November 27th, 2014, 12:38 AM
I dunno....I like the level of FCS, I really do....it's still very good football but I think Holy Cross can accomplish what it wants to do with football i.e. play an Army or BC, play some good OOC teams like UNH, Harvard, Yale etc and compete for a league title every year without having to play in a 6-week playoff after that season.

In what world is less football better than MORE football?

Sader87
November 27th, 2014, 12:43 AM
In what world is less football better than MORE football?

When your school is basically playing to line the pockets of the NCAA.....

Silenoz
November 27th, 2014, 12:59 AM

If you're on a football board making basketball smack, you're doing something wrong.

Hell, the Ivy schools may as well just overrun this forum with academic smack if that's the direction we want to go

The PFL should not be immune to criticism or smack because we're all only FCS, which the average Joe doesn't care about. The average Joe is an idiot who buys Nickelback and Linkin Park albums, which thankfully has no impact on me or my enjoyment of music (or football). If the typical (for example) Nicholls State alumni wants to follow LSU religiously instead of his alma mater... that's his loss.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2014, 01:14 AM
If you're on a football board making basketball smack, you're doing something wrong.

Hell, the Ivy schools may as well just overrun this forum with academic smack if that's the direction we want to go

My point was based on those particular school's focus when it comes to athletic endeavors. I would guess that most San Diego, Dayton Butler fans/alums say we have a "winning" football program and a nationally viable hoops program. The world "winning" can obviously be interpreted different ways, I guess. I know this is not a hoops board when we're talking revenue/endowment and athletic rallying points for alumni/fans it's relevant.

I just think it's silly if someone would mock or ridicule a particular school for playing "second or third rate football" when they themselves play less than the best. What Butler has achieved blows the doors off of NDSU's 3 peat in the grand scheme of things. Heck, the Bulldogs have hosted more FCS playoff games this decade than Youngstown State has played. That's only icing on the cake. This is not calling out NDSU but you're the #1 brand right now in FCS :p

ursus arctos horribilis
November 27th, 2014, 02:16 AM
When your school is basically playing to line the pockets of the NCAA.....

Oh rally? So you'd like to abstain from the big dance as well then? Man Sader you got some real odd ideas about things. Playoff football is terrible, no excitement, etc. xlolx

If HC and those fans don't like I'm OK with that. Around these parts, it's as big as the big dance and it's nice to have another big deal if you ask me.

danefan
November 27th, 2014, 10:37 AM
The fans of the teams that don't "care" about the playoffs have never gotten a taste or have and have no shot at a win.

Find me a team that has a chance in the playoffs and I can guarantee you won't find anyone saying they "don't care."

Red & Black
November 27th, 2014, 11:58 AM

Why else would you compete, other than to have a shot at winning something?

The reason the Ivy's don't compete for a National Championship at this level is because they would get run off the field most year. But they could compete at the FBS level for NC's??? Um...suuuuuuuuure.

So much fail in your post.

Grizalltheway
November 27th, 2014, 12:17 PM

When's the last time HC participated in the 6 week playoff past week one?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Why else would you compete, other than to have a shot at winning something?

The reason the Ivy's don't compete for a National Championship at this level is because they would get run off the field most year. But they could compete at the FBS level for NC's??? Um...suuuuuuuuure.

So much fail in your post.

Winning something and winning the national title are two different things. There's plenty of teams in power conferences that will never sniff a national title. However, a league championship, winnings seasons, beating rivals etc. are usually good enough for most. The Ivy League would not get run off the field most years. IL and PL are very even and the PL almost never gets "run off the field". The IL would have a once a decade team that could make a run. They'd also have those 2-3 years per decade when they would get crushed.

The PFL, honestly, is not much different than the SBC in FBS. Not one of those schools in either conference will ever come close to a national title. There is no Boise State in the SBC. The difference is, the PFL is in many ways forced into their position. A lot of these schools (Dayton, Davidson, Butler, San Diego, Drake, Valpo) have money and at least some national name recognition. They would seem out of place in D2 or D3 imo.

It would not surprise me if at some point, Butler or Dayton or even San Diego put together a once in a generation team that won a game. The MEAC has gone 15 years without a playoff win. I think the PFL can do better than that xnodx

Red & Black
November 27th, 2014, 12:35 PM
The Ivy League would not get run off the field most years. IL and PL are very even and the PL almost never gets "run off the field".

With the exception of a couple of teams, I disagree. There are a couple that could do ok, and that's why I put "most years". I agree that they would probably have a team good enough every few years to make a run, but they would be few and far between.

IRT the PFL, I understand that some of those schools have national name recognition (for basketball), but if they have so much money, and want to play football at this level...then why not offer scholarships? I'm not saying that the kids at San Diego haven't earned the right to be in the playoffs (relative to the schedule they've played), but it just seems like a waste of a playoff bid.

There's also the issue of how DII games don't count the same during the regular season as an FCS-in-name-only win against one of these schools. Comical, since that DII school has 33 more scholarships.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2014, 12:59 PM
With the exception of a couple of teams, I disagree. There are a couple that could do ok, and that's why I put "most years". I agree that they would probably have a team good enough every few years to make a run, but they would be few and far between.

It all depends. 2002 Penn was definitely good enough to make a run at the title that year. WKU won it in a year where there was no dominant team. That Penn was ridiculously good. Not to toot Lehigh's horn but they were ranked #2 in the country, highest ranking in 22 years, and Penn beat them to end LU's 27 game regular season winning streak. They had a bunch of really good skills players including Marshall Faulks nephew. Game Day was at their game against ranked Harvard and Penn crushed them 44-9.

Two years later, Harvard might have been the best team in the country, period. That was the year JMU won, once again no dominant team. The combo of Ryan Fitzpatrick and Clifton Dawson was sick at that the FCS level. They had a 339-134 point differential in 10 games and that included a 27 point win over an A10 school.....

This years Harvard might have played Fordham in the first round. That would have a been a great game!

With all this said, neither San Diego or Harvard are going into Missoula and beating the Griz on Saturday....

malibudude
November 27th, 2014, 05:35 PM

Harbaugh moved North after 2006...

X-Factor
November 27th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Everyone is underestimating this game. 70-0 is your score. USD can't stop the grizz 3rd string.

ezgriz51
November 27th, 2014, 08:36 PM
Everyone is underestimating this game. 70-0 is your score. USD can't stop the grizz 3rd string.
Finally. Thread back on track. Delaney won't allow 70-0, but the threes will see lots of action.

tomq04
November 28th, 2014, 10:07 AM
So help clear the air for me.

The Griz, get a home game against a team that has 0 scholarships? AND it's considered "playoff" material? I hope no one gets injured.

4grz
November 28th, 2014, 10:22 AM

The Griz, get a home game against a team that has 0 scholarships? AND it's considered "playoff" material? I hope no one gets injured.

0 scholarships doesn't make a team worthless. Look at Lehigh a few seasons ago. Didn't Colgate finish as runner-up about a decade ago? Now yes, San Diego is nowhere near that level. This team wouldn't be top 5 of San Diego's last 12 teams. They were lucky to get in the playoffs on a technicality. I don't see the Griz taking them to the slaughter to the tune of a 70 point win, though. If Pflu were still around, I could see a step on the throats style, but not Mick.

SeattleGriz
November 28th, 2014, 11:21 AM

About time the West got a gimme game!

Look what else is happening in the other brackets. SHSU@MSU and SHSU@SLU 1st round and gone!

FargoBison
November 28th, 2014, 12:23 PM
0 scholarships doesn't make a team worthless. Look at Lehigh a few seasons ago. Didn't Colgate finish as runner-up about a decade ago? Now yes, San Diego is nowhere near that level. This team wouldn't be top 5 of San Diego's last 12 teams. They were lucky to get in the playoffs on a technicality. I don't see the Griz taking them to the slaughter to the tune of a 70 point win, though. If Pflu were still around, I could see a step on the throats style, but not Mick.

I don't think you can really make that comparison, it is an apples and oranges comparison between the Patriot league of old and the PFL.

But I don't see a 70 point beatdown either, Griz could do that if they wanted to but with a tough game next week there is no point. Get a big lead, rest the starters and win something like 45-7.

Bronco
November 28th, 2014, 12:39 PM
My hope is that 1's can take a break sometime during the game but when you give your rival a large beat down and some maybe looking ahead to next round strange things can happen.

Hunting...holiday travel creates a smaller crowd..throats still hurt from laughing and the atmosphere won't be anywhere what its normally is for a playoff game...so a let down is probable

Grizzlies82
November 28th, 2014, 01:20 PM
No reason to believe this will be 45 to 7, or 70 to 3. Chances are it will be a competitive game with the Grizzlies coming out on top.
Heck 21 to 17 is fine with me. Just want to see a win, and then some redemption for our kids over at the Infernal next week.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 28th, 2014, 03:47 PM
My hope is that 1's can take a break sometime during the game but when you give your rival a large beat down and some maybe looking ahead to next round strange things can happen.

Hunting...holiday travel creates a smaller crowd..throats still hurt from laughing and the atmosphere won't be anywhere what its normally is for a playoff game...so a let down is probable

Ah, but Bronco, you have been to as many as these as I have and you know this is not true as far as the crowd goes. Yes there will be less people there but as far as rambunctiousness this crowd will be as good and into as any version this year except for the Griz/Cat game.

I don't think we'll have any let down with the players either, just think it's been a season on the edge and if they are 1/2 as happy as I that they are in and have a new life right now...zero letdown throughout the ranks in my mind. You actually played for the Griz though so what makes you think they could let down for this? BTW, I missed your tailgate the last couple games but I will be by Saturday so make sure don't scrimp on the alcohol...I wanted to make sure you are prepped for a hursusicane.

BisonFan02
November 28th, 2014, 03:58 PM
Ah, but Bronco, you have been to as many as these as I have and you know this is not true as far as the crowd goes. Yes there will be less people there but as far as rambunctiousness this crowd will be as good and into as any version this year except for the Griz/Cat game.

I don't think we'll have any let down with the players either, just think it's been a season on the edge and if they are 1/2 as happy as I that they are in and have a new life right now...zero letdown throughout the ranks in my mind. You actually played for the Griz though so what makes you think they could let down for this? BTW, I missed your tailgate the last couple games but I will be by Saturday so make sure don't scrimp on the alcohol...I wanted to make sure you are prepped for a hursusicane.

Not to be confused with Tropical Storm Grizo?

ursus arctos horribilis
November 28th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Not to be confused with Tropical Storm Grizo?

No. A TSG is just a torrent of drool and soiled Depends. One is nothing but fun and good times and the other is the absence of all that. You know that though.

citdog
November 28th, 2014, 11:37 PM
a hursusicane.

Distant Cousin to the grizonado....

fencer24
November 29th, 2014, 12:05 AM
Getting back to the off topic conversation about the PFL, I would think they would be the most popular teams to schedule an OOC game with. Still FCS, and always good for a tune up at the start of the season. In fact, maybe the PFL should just sell itself as a league to pad your playoff resume.

Why aren't other conferences taking advantage of this?

clenz
November 29th, 2014, 12:53 AM
Getting back to the off topic conversation about the PFL, I would think they would be the most popular teams to schedule an OOC game with. Still FCS, and always good for a tune up at the start of the season. In fact, maybe the PFL should just sell itself as a league to pad your playoff resume.

Why aren't other conferences taking advantage of this?
See YSU the last 2 years

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 07:15 AM
Get a big lead for the Griz and rest the starters for next week.

This conference gets their auto-bid but there are also more at-large bids and I'll take it.

Griz win 35-7

FargoBison
November 29th, 2014, 03:40 PM
USD Fighting Cupcakes 0
Griz 14 1st qtr

PFL heading to another playoff beatdown.

X-Factor
November 29th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Griz can pull the starters whenever their coach feels like they have enough scrimmage in to prepare for next week. The UM backups will name the score

FargoBison
November 29th, 2014, 03:54 PM
USD 0
Griz 21 2nd qtr

97Torero
November 29th, 2014, 03:59 PM
This is definitely not the way to make a 1st appearance in the playoffs, but everything about this game pointed to this type of result. I am hoping the team and the university are able to turn this into a learning experience and a basis for what needs to happen to compete in the future. USD is competitive in its other sports offerings. The difference is in scholarships. I would love to see them move that direction, I just dont see how it happens, and if it does, what league affiliation would be out there.

FargoBison
November 29th, 2014, 04:06 PM
This is definitely not the way to make a 1st appearance in the playoffs, but everything about this game pointed to this type of result. I am hoping the team and the university are able to turn this into a learning experience and a basis for what needs to happen to compete in the future. USD is competitive in its other sports offerings. The difference is in scholarships. I would love to see them move that direction, I just dont see how it happens, and if it does, what league affiliation would be out there.

USD should have joined the Great West back in the day. Now there is nothing unless a Big Sky school drops the sport.

97Torero
November 29th, 2014, 04:12 PM
The problem as I see it, is that they would look for a football only membership somewhere. I don't see them leaving the WCC for basketball, baseball, etc...

Sader87
November 29th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Patriot League??? Love a trip to San Diego every other year.

Then again you'd be traveling to Wistah every other year xdrunkyx

GoAgs72
November 29th, 2014, 04:27 PM
No way San Diego gets in the playoffs except the autobid. They got what should have been Idaho State's spot.

SUPharmacist
November 29th, 2014, 04:38 PM
No way San Diego gets in the playoffs except the autobid. They got what should have been Idaho State's spot.

Eh, a number of teams could argue they would have been better. If you don't win your league you leave yourself vulnerable. I thought Indiana State was very questionable, but they made EKU look bad, that is the spot that could have went to Idaho State. Even when conferences get crushed I like seeing them get a shot with the conference autobids, with 24 spots why not.

GoAgs72
November 29th, 2014, 05:22 PM

Although I didn't think San Diego deserved to be in the playoffs, I totally support San Diego offering scholarships, moving to the Big Sky and moving North Dakota to the Missouri Valley where they truly belong. San Diego would be a much easier location to access and a nice place to visit.

MTfan4life
November 29th, 2014, 06:01 PM
JV squad got a little sloppy for Montana. For a second I though we were going to see a couple perfect scores in the bracket challenge. I think I saw a couple people guess 52-7.

slostang
November 29th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Although I didn't think San Diego deserved to be in the playoffs, I totally support San Diego offering scholarships, moving to the Big Sky and moving North Dakota to the Missouri Valley where they truly belong. San Diego would be a much easier location to access and a nice place to visit.
We do not need to move a team to add USD. If they were added it would give the Big Sky 14 FCS football playing members. The Big a Sky could the go to two 7 team divisions. Play each team from your division and 3 teams from the other division each year. It would be better than it is now.

Bisonator
November 29th, 2014, 06:21 PM
We do not need to move a team to add USD. If they were added it would give the Big Sky 14 FCS football playing members. The Big a Sky could the go to two 7 team divisions. Play each team from your division and 3 teams from the other division each year. It would be better than it is now.

Yeah and both divisions could have 3 cupcakes.

Congrats to the Griz!

BisonBohl
November 29th, 2014, 08:03 PM
Hey Grizz, how did that cupcake taste???

Cleets
November 29th, 2014, 08:05 PM
The way the Griz have been losing at home in the payoffs of late... that was a much needed gift
Starting your entire 2nd string offense for the second half of the game was very nice as well I'm sure

ezgriz51
November 29th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Hey Grizz, how did that cupcake taste???
If served cupcake, one should eat cupcake. Next.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 29th, 2014, 10:03 PM

This is a great post 97. A lot of people want to be asses about this whole thing but I am not so short sighted that I can't look to the future and hope that some teams in your position gain some excitement and competitive fire for the FCS Playoffs.

There is a talent disparity...so what, glad you were there and had a chance to at least see what it is about and hope that some fun was experienced in the process.

If your fans demand it your team will get better and that is all good in my book.xthumbsupx

polsongrizz
November 29th, 2014, 10:33 PM

And lets not pretend the Bowel div with 70 + teams in the post season is either.