PDA

View Full Version : Some Key Athletic Departments Losing Money...

Cleets
November 25th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Here: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/24839675/uab-football-isnt-alone-in-losing-money-for-athletic-departments

App State / Georgia Southern / Old Dominion on the list of big money losers...

"No FBS/Division I football program has shut down since Pacific in 1995. That it could happen to a school in football-mad Alabama is one of the most unusual aspects to this story.."

Lehigh Football Nation
November 25th, 2014, 01:43 PM
No C-USA school had a school subsidy of less than 50%. Half their athletic departments are getting subsidized by injections of cash from students, state money, and school money. Wow.

Former FCS schools FIU (78%), ODU (73%), FAU (68%), UTSA (61%), WKU (60%), and Marshall (52%). Sobering numbers.

How much of that WKU money goes to Petrino, by the way?

ursus arctos horribilis
November 25th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Look, the donors are gonna be in big time and cover the costs.

The big game revenue will cover this.

The stadium will be packed and expanded, then packed again and ticket sales will cover this.

Corporate donations will be pouring in as well.

Student fees were kinda high before so there will be no need to raise those either.

*this could all still happen as it's early so too soon to pick it apart but I'm not sure the move up committee was presenting this as a possible rough patch right off the bat. Maybe they did but I'd assume some people would be quite worried about this.

WestCoastAggie
November 25th, 2014, 02:07 PM
In many HS Athletic Associations, schools are now being granted the ability to have different sports play in different divisions. This may be something the NCAA and its members need to look into as a way to begin to help schools cap student fees and other subsidies.

to do this, they would need to get rid of the Dayton Rule.

bonarae
November 25th, 2014, 07:59 PM
In many HS Athletic Associations, schools are now being granted the ability to have different sports play in different divisions. This may be something the NCAA and its members need to look into as a way to begin to help schools cap student fees and other subsidies.

What states are now implementing that?

How about NAIA? Some schools play in two different divisions for their sports within that Association. NCAA needs to look to its smaller competitors to see what they have successfully done without implementing something similar to Dayton Rule.

kfkolonel
November 25th, 2014, 08:05 PM
I hear that their chemistry department isn't making money either. Are they a "for profit" university?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 25th, 2014, 09:28 PM
CUSA and the SBC are dumpster fires. Both have terrible tv deals when it comes to football and mens basketball. They also lack the facilities in football to attract truly appealing OOC games that are needed to generate ticket revenue. I don't understand how these schools will ever reach a point when they have the finances to be at least marginal in either revenue sport.

DFW HOYA
November 26th, 2014, 07:10 AM

Water under the bridge. I don't know of any I-AA team that would voluntarily move down, but there are a number of lower division schools who would look to play up, which is why the D-III schools were pushing for the rule in the first place.

WestCoastAggie
November 26th, 2014, 07:30 AM

How about NAIA? Some schools play in two different divisions for their sports within that Association. NCAA needs to look to its smaller competitors to see what they have successfully done without implementing something similar to Dayton Rule.

I know for a fact this is being done in California. My high school is now competing in Division-One Basketball and Division-Two Football. Teams are jumping around to divisions that they feel they can compete best in a specific sport. This occurs greatly in the LA City Section and is starting to occur in the Football Power that is the CIF Southern Section.

WestCoastAggie
November 26th, 2014, 07:32 AM
Water under the bridge. I don't know of any I-AA team that would voluntarily move down, but there are a number of lower division schools who would look to play up, which is why the D-III schools were pushing for the rule in the first place.
The NCAA can always cap the number of teams in each sport, per division, allowing for periods where schools move up or down each year.

Its just an idea.

Gil Dobie
November 26th, 2014, 08:22 AM

Minnesota has that rule and it's noticeable in hockey, with some smaller schools playing in the big school division.

dbackjon
November 26th, 2014, 11:04 AM

The DIII teams rightfully want the Dayton Rule. Dayton, for example, has athletic facilities that cost more than most DIII schools have ever spent on athletics in their entire history.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 26th, 2014, 11:44 AM
The DIII teams rightfully want the Dayton Rule. Dayton, for example, has athletic facilities that cost more than most DIII schools have ever spent on athletics in their entire history.

Wonder how many D-III programs could be funded by their NCAA shares and A-10 TV contract alone.