PDA

View Full Version : Gridiron Classic

nice guy
November 12th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Why did PFL and NEC reschedule the Gridiron Classic? It was originally scheduled to be played next Saturday, before playoff selections. A win in the GC would surely helped the playoff resume of either Monmouth or San Diego.

Model Citizen
November 12th, 2006, 11:28 PM
The NCAA states the PFL and NEC champions must go to the playoffs, if invited.

Ironically, it also says a team can't go to the playoffs and the Gridirion Classic in the same year.

Since one of them could be selected for the playoffs, they needed to change the date to ensure compliance with the bylaw.

nice guy
November 12th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I think USD v. Monmouth would be a great game, but I'm rooting for the Toreros to make the playoffs. I really want to see what they can do. ... put an end to all the "what if's"

siugrad99
November 12th, 2006, 11:48 PM
They can get sent to Montana for hunting season... 1 and Done and too bad for the team that gets left out to them.

November 12th, 2006, 11:50 PM
The NCAA states the PFL and NEC champions must go to the playoffs, if invited...Please state your source (bylaw). Thanks.

Mr. C
November 12th, 2006, 11:51 PM
The NCAA states the PFL and NEC champions must go to the playoffs, if invited.

Ironically, it also says a team can't go to the playoffs and the Gridirion Classic in the same year.

Since one of them could be selected for the playoffs, they needed to change the date to ensure compliance with the bylaw.
You are wrong about the bylaws. There are a number of teams that have declined to participate in the playoffs, such as the Ivy League and some of the SWAC. The real reason for the change was the fact that there is a very small chance that San Diego and Monmouth could be selected to the playoffs (people around here don't realize just how small that chance really is). According to the NCAA rules, you can either play in a postseason event like the Gridiron Classic, or the playoffs. That's why the SWAC championship game participants are not eligible for the playoffs. If the NEC and the PFL had played that game on Saturday, Monmouth and San Diego by rule would have been ineligible for the playoffs.

SDFan
November 12th, 2006, 11:52 PM
No, they didn't need to change the date. The PFL and NEC did that voluntarily. I can pull the by law from somewhere, but it's that a team can't play in both the playoffs and Gridiron Championship in the same year because they are both considered playoffs.

November 12th, 2006, 11:55 PM
... (people around here don't realize just how small that chance really is)...please, no need for that because this is AGS.

SDFan
November 12th, 2006, 11:59 PM
You are wrong about the bylaws. There are a number of teams that have declined to participate in the playoffs, such as the Ivy League and some of the SWAC. The real reason for the change was the fact that there is a very small chance that San Diego and Monmouth could be selected to the playoffs (people around here don't realize just how small that chance really is). According to the NCAA rules, you can either play in a postseason event like the Gridiron Classic, or the playoffs. That's why the SWAC championship game participants are not eligible for the playoffs. If the NEC and the PFL had played that game on Saturday, Monmouth and San Diego by rule would have been ineligible for the playoffs.

No, you are wrong. The other guy had it right. They had to move the date or have usd and/or monmouth forfeit the Gridiron Championship. Because if they had been chosen for the playoffs after playing in the game they would have been in a lot of trouble.

Please keep your smack talking to the Smack board.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2006, 12:08 AM
No, you are wrong. The other guy had it right. They had to move the date or have usd and/or monmouth forfeit the Gridiron Championship. Because if they had been chosen for the playoffs after playing in the game they would have been in a lot of trouble.

Please keep your smack talking to the Smack board.
Get a clue and a grip Dude!!! This is not smack talk. It is the truth. I think a lot of us around here who deal with conference commissioners on a weekly basis and committee members and NCAA officials regularly know a little more about this issue than you do. I don't think that Patty V. and John Iamarino, two very competant commissioners, were signing up for something that potentially violated NCAA rules when they and the PFL and NEC presidents signed the Gridiron Classic contract. If teams have to go to the playoffs if they were selected, the committee should have selected Brown, the Ivy League champ, to play in last year's playoffs and undefeated Harvard the year before. There are a lot of teams that CHOOSE not to participate in the playoffs. Like I said in my earlier post, there is little difference between the Gridiron Classic and the SWAC championship game in regards to NCAA rules.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2006, 12:11 AM
please, no need for that because this is AGS.
:bang:
Ralph, just expressing an opinion that is based on years of experience and conversations with committee members and conference commissioners. The truth is there is little chance of San Diego and Monmouth being selected for the playoffs. You know that and I know that.

Torero Tradition
November 13th, 2006, 12:17 AM
You are correct there isn't as good as chance as San Diego and Monmouth both being selected... but just one of those... say San Diego, has a greater chance as an at-large :)

GreenDay17
November 13th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Nice work USD fans. Two new posters just happen to ask an innocent question which leads to another USD in the playoffs thread.

November 13th, 2006, 12:30 AM
... You know that and I know that.Respect the meaning of A G S

You know that and I know that.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Respect the meaning of A G S

I wasn't trying to be disrespectful.

UMass922
November 13th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Respect the meaning of A G S

Ralph, Mr. C's comment didn't say one thing or another about what might happen on the football field on "any given Saturday"--nothing negative at all about San Diego or Monmouth or any other I-AA team. He was simply commenting, based on knowledge and experience, on what he feels is likely to happen on selection Sunday. Not all of us who are skeptical of San Diego's chances to make the playoffs are disrespectful toward or dismissive of San Diego as a football team.

Torero Tradition
November 13th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Not all of us who are skeptical of San Diego's chances to make the playoffs are disrespectful toward or dismissive of San Diego as a football team.

Much appreciated... best of Luck Umass!

youwouldno
November 13th, 2006, 12:54 AM
My objection to USD's playoff chances has nothing at all to do with how good they are, either. Just a scheduling issue. I hope USD steps up in future seasons, maybe even moving to scholarships eventually.

rmutv
November 13th, 2006, 02:04 AM
The Classic was moved to give any NEC or PFL team a chance at making it to the I-AA playoffs. Since the Gridiron Classic is considered a "bowl game," the NCAA rules prohibit teams participating in two "playoff" games under different scenarios. It'd be like a basketball team playing in the postseason NCAA tournament AND the NIT.

The game was originally scheduled for the first day of the I-AA playoffs. Teams would have had to committ to either making it to the playoffs or skipping out, declining an invite to the playoffs, and go to the Classic.

The conferences just made it easier on everyone by pushing it back late enough that a team will know their fate instead of having to guess at it. If San Diego or Monmouth goes to the I-AA playoffs, they will not go to the Classic as well.

Instead, the second place team...currently Drake and Stony Brook, respectively...would go.

lucchesicourt
November 13th, 2006, 05:11 AM
One question, should USD make a committment one way or the other NOW? If they want to go to the playoffs, then another team should be chosen for the Gridiron Classic, and if USD is not chosen for the playoffs, tough luck. Or they can choose the Gridiron Classic as they originally scheduled, and not try to enter the 1AA playoffs, and keep their current commitments. Why should USD be given the opportunity to play in both events and choose the Gridiron if they are not invited to the playoffs? That spot should be given to another team, as in some way USD is opting out of both the UCD game and the Gridiron, but only if they are invited to the playoffs. This seems unfair, that they have this many choices as compared to other teams.

Model Citizen
November 13th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Please state your source (bylaw). Thanks.

Pard4Life
November 13th, 2006, 12:39 PM
When do tickets go on sale at Monmouth?

monmouthhawk
November 13th, 2006, 01:11 PM
When do tickets go on sale at Monmouth?

They will probably go on sale next week - Monmouth has a very slight possibility of going to playoffs so they will wait for that. I'll find out more and post.

Pard4Life
November 13th, 2006, 02:15 PM
They will probably go on sale next week - Monmouth has a very slight possibility of going to playoffs so they will wait for that. I'll find out more and post.

Cool... thanks! Because I definetely want to see San Diego - Monmouth

alumNEC
November 13th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Actually I thought it was agreed upon by the NEC/PFL that if the NEC/PFL champ made the playoffs then the second-place team would play the game for the given conference... thus there was actually no real need to change the date

UAalum72
November 13th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Actually I thought it was agreed upon by the NEC/PFL that if the NEC/PFL champ made the playoffs then the second-place team would play the game for the given conference... thus there was actually no real need to change the date
The original date was before playoff selection

BobbyMo
November 13th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Cool... thanks! Because I definetely want to see San Diego - Monmouth

As long as they are both there, I will too :nod: :nod: :nod:

YoUDeeMan
November 13th, 2006, 10:56 PM

17.11.4.1 Gridiron Classic Restrictions. [I-AA] All members of the Northeast Conference and the Pioneer Football League shall participate in the Division I-AA Football Championship, if eligible and selected for participation, and members of those conferences that participate in the Division IAA Football Championship also shall not participate in the Gridiron Classic during the same year.

The Gridiron Classic may be conducted on the same weekend as the Division I-AA Football Championship, provided there is no conflict in the time of the contests. (Adopted: 4/25/02,6/2/06)

rmutv
November 13th, 2006, 11:56 PM
The original date was before playoff selection

Yep. Also there was no SPECIFIC provisition stating that if one of the conference winners went to the I-AA playoffs then the 2nd place team would be allowed to play.

The two conferences simply pushed the date back to avoid any potential conflict and to avoid any headaches.

Black and Gold Express
November 14th, 2006, 09:26 AM
My objection to USD's playoff chances has nothing at all to do with how good they are, either. Just a scheduling issue. I hope USD steps up in future seasons, maybe even moving to scholarships eventually.

This fits my sentiments exactly. If any non-scholly had put together an 11-0 season facing legitimately tough competition, I would welcome them with open arms. It has nothing to do with the USD team, it's the idea that they should be worthy of a selection without the slightest hint of a good basis. It does not matter where you rank in terms of statistics, save for WHO you compiled those against.

Black and Gold Express
November 14th, 2006, 09:28 AM
One question, should USD make a committment one way or the other NOW? If they want to go to the playoffs, then another team should be chosen for the Gridiron Classic, and if USD is not chosen for the playoffs, tough luck. Or they can choose the Gridiron Classic as they originally scheduled, and not try to enter the 1AA playoffs, and keep their current commitments. Why should USD be given the opportunity to play in both events and choose the Gridiron if they are not invited to the playoffs? That spot should be given to another team, as in some way USD is opting out of both the UCD game and the Gridiron, but only if they are invited to the playoffs. This seems unfair, that they have this many choices as compared to other teams.

I like that idea as well - at least regarding the GC. Make them make a choice, and live with the consequences if it blows up in their faces. Right now USD is having their cake and eating it too, not a fair deal at all.