PDA

View Full Version : EWU over Sam Houston in Frisco

tomq04
November 24th, 2014, 05:20 PM
You heard it here first folks. A wild ride will showcase NDSU losing in the Fargodome and SHSU getting their revenge, only to be runners up in their Cinderella ride to EWU 52-49 in Frisco.

#CountIt!

thebootfitter
November 24th, 2014, 05:23 PM
Someone should calculate the statistical odds of that happening using Sagarin or Massey for you and see if you want to stick with it.

Of course... Anything is possible. :-)

Grizalltheway
November 24th, 2014, 05:25 PM
You'll likely have to contend with a red-hot Griz team hungry for revenge first...

Not easy to beat a team twice in less than a month...

CHIP72
November 24th, 2014, 05:27 PM
Those of us from the East will sit back and eat some popcorn as the Big Sky/MVFC fireworks (or more specifically Big Sky/NDSU fireworks) ensue.

FargoBison
November 24th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Wouldn't shock me if EWU lost to Montana in game one. The committee did you zero favors with that match up. They even set up a nice little scrimmage for the Griz so they could get tuned up for you. Hey if you win that you get ISUR or UNI...enjoy your FCS group of death.

As for SHSU, well you must be drunk in making that prediction. They got a long road to Frisco.

FargoBison
November 24th, 2014, 05:31 PM
Someone should calculate the statistical odds of that happening using Sagarin or Massey for you and see if you want to stick with it.

Of course... Anything is possible. :-)

About as likely as Coach K riding a live Bison out of the tunnel in two weeks....

NoDak 4 Ever
November 24th, 2014, 05:38 PM
You should put your entire meth budget on that bet, you'll be rich!

UNHWildcat18
November 24th, 2014, 05:50 PM
I would love UNH vs EWU in the semi finals.

Hammerhead
November 24th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Sagarin predicts that UNI and Ill State would beat EWU in Cheney. I'm not saying it will happen, just that it's interesting that EWU is the only top 4 seed that doesn't have the highest Sagarin rating in their quarterfinal bracket.

IBleedYellow
November 24th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Those of us from the East will sit back and eat some popcorn as the Big Sky/MVFC fireworks (or more specifically Big Sky/NDSU fireworks) ensue.
Ndsu has no beef with the Sky.

We do have beef with MSU and EWU.

Sent from a TI-83+ Calculator

tomq04
November 24th, 2014, 06:11 PM
About as likely as Coach K riding a live Bison out of the tunnel in two weeks....

That image just made me lol out loud.

Texas
November 24th, 2014, 06:12 PM
We do have a long road to Frisco, but if we make it and some how EWU is there? No way we don't go home as champs.
Big Sky can't beat us at home, and Frisco would be painted Orange with no NDSU presence.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 24th, 2014, 06:19 PM
We do have a long road to Frisco, but if we make it and some how EWU is there? No way we don't go home as champs.
Big Sky can't beat us at home, and Frisco would be painted Orange with no NDSU presence.

I might go anyway.

HannahO
November 24th, 2014, 06:22 PM

+1

taper
November 24th, 2014, 06:23 PM
If NDSU doesn't win our side then I hope SHSU does, just so we have someone to unload all the tickets to.

Redbird Recon
November 24th, 2014, 06:29 PM
Redundant.

tomq04
November 24th, 2014, 06:48 PM
Redundant.
xcoffeex

tojo70
November 24th, 2014, 06:48 PM
You should put your entire meth budget on that bet, you'll be rich!
LMAO!

tomq04
November 24th, 2014, 06:49 PM
Are there any bookies around here? And if my budget is blown for the month, i'm going to need a loan.

TheRevSFA
November 24th, 2014, 07:27 PM
SFA is gonna win it a....

eh I couldn't keep that going with a straight face

Gil Dobie
November 24th, 2014, 07:27 PM
I'm going with Nooga!

Haven't they already been crowned ;)

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNzwbhlbOfFmSIO9z3EBNIfCS9HC5nQ QHcBjnTSVLo1a6dRXhibw

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 24th, 2014, 07:28 PM
SFA is gonna win it a....

eh I couldn't keep that going with a straight face

Give us some info on SFA!

Could they make a run?

TILIS-BisonFan
November 24th, 2014, 07:36 PM
You heard it here first folks. A wild ride will showcase NDSU losing in the Fargodome and SHSU getting their revenge, only to be runners up in their Cinderella ride to EWU 52-49 in Frisco.

#CountIt!

this is cute. happy hour early in spokane.

Are there any bookies around here? And if my budget is blown for the month, i'm going to need a loan.

I can be your bookie lets say 15-1 minimum $100 bet. If you need a loan to make said bet I can do that as well at a quite high interest rate. Ill draw up some terms on a bar napkin.

CHIP72
November 24th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Ndsu has no beef with the Sky.

We do have beef with MSU and EWU.

Sent from a TI-83+ Calculator

Why do some NDSU fans have an issue with playing North Dakota?

FargoBison
November 24th, 2014, 07:48 PM

We don't have an issue, we just don't want to have an annual game with them.

Sammy94
November 24th, 2014, 08:00 PM
Neither will be in Frisco this season but we are only losing 2 seniors that start so perhaps in the next year or two? We will definitely gain some valuable experience this season though.

Bison56
November 24th, 2014, 08:02 PM

#CountIt!

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Hammerhead
November 24th, 2014, 09:00 PM

We'd rather play higher caliber teams like Montana and EWU if we have to do home and home deals.

Nickels
November 24th, 2014, 09:07 PM
Neither will be in Frisco this season but we are only losing 2 seniors that start so perhaps in the next year or two? We will definitely gain some valuable experience this season though.
24 out of 44 on the 2 deep are FRESHMAN. We also have one of, if not, the best kicker/punter combo in the nation coming back.

TheRevSFA
November 24th, 2014, 09:30 PM

Could they make a run?

they have one of the best backs in the nation with Gus Johnson. Defense is sketchy though

CHIP72
November 24th, 2014, 10:54 PM
We don't have an issue, we just don't want to have an annual game with them.

We'd rather play higher caliber teams like Montana and EWU if we have to do home and home deals.

UND is presumably the other, primary university in North Dakota besides NDSU. They also play at the Division I-AA/FCS level. IMO, TEAMS SHOULD PLAY THEIR NATURAL RIVALS EVERY YEAR.

This kind of nonsense also occurs, to use one example out of the many, many examples out there, in DC area college basketball where Maryland and Georgetown refuse to play one another and Georgetown and George Washington have animosity dating back nearly 40 years. Let it go already - many fans want to see games with their backyard rivals, even if they are at different levels of quality.

tomq04
November 24th, 2014, 11:30 PM
fwiw, I hope everyone realized I was having a good time here...although that would be close to the most ridiculous ending to this season I can come up with.

taper
November 25th, 2014, 12:29 AM
UND is presumably the other, primary university in North Dakota besides NDSU. They also play at the Division I-AA/FCS level. IMO, TEAMS SHOULD PLAY THEIR NATURAL RIVALS EVERY YEAR.
UND is the one who canceled a scheduled game when NDSU went DI a few years before UND did.
UND is the one who refused to schedule games despite numerous offers.
UND is the one who, when they did move up to DI, chose to join the Big Sky instead of the Summit/MVFC like NDSU. They even canceled a site visit from the Summit League, who were definitely interested. U of South Dakota jumped to DI at the same time as UND and was accepted into the Summit/MVFC.
UND is the one who's been involved in some absurd legal battles with the NCAA, bringing a lot of baggage and ill will everywhere they go.
We recently signed UND to a pair of games in Fargo, but with no plans to make it an annual thing or play at UND unless they join our conference.
That's all I'm going to say about that.

Twentysix
November 25th, 2014, 12:51 AM
UND is the one who canceled a scheduled game when NDSU went DI a few years before UND did.
UND is the one who refused to schedule games despite numerous offers.
UND is the one who, when they did move up to DI, chose to join the Big Sky instead of the Summit/MVFC like NDSU. They even canceled a site visit from the Summit League, who were definitely interested. U of South Dakota jumped to DI at the same time as UND and was accepted into the Summit/MVFC.
UND is the one who's been involved in some absurd legal battles with the NCAA, bringing a lot of baggage and ill will everywhere they go.
We recently signed UND to a pair of games in Fargo, but with no plans to make it an annual thing or play at UND unless they join our conference.
That's all I'm going to say about that.

I think you summed it up quite well. Someone should make this into a stamp that can be applied whenever the subject is brought up.

citdog
November 25th, 2014, 03:22 AM

son of a bitch

here we go again

again

Ivytalk
November 25th, 2014, 05:12 AM
xcoolxDon't see KC Keeler making it to the finals this year.

IBleedYellow
November 25th, 2014, 06:53 AM
son of a bitch

here we go again

again

Doubtful. We have no reason to bring this up right now. We're in playoff mode.

*scrolls up*

Damnit.

TheEagleSHSU
November 25th, 2014, 08:32 AM
Playing SELA first round and then at JSU potentially and onto NDSU would be a very difficult road. If SHSU came out of that and we were in Frisco, I pray to god we are not the "Runner UP" again. I am tired of those freaking "finalist" banners hanging on our stadium.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 25th, 2014, 08:36 AM
Playing SELA first round and then at JSU potentially and onto NDSU would be a very difficult road. If SHSU came out of that and we were in Frisco, I pray to god we are not the "Runner UP" again. I am tired of those freaking "finalist" banners hanging on our stadium.

Finalist banners? Are you serious?

Mattymc727
November 25th, 2014, 08:42 AM

Cant be worse than the 16-0 banner hanging up in Gillette Stadium....

NoDak 4 Ever
November 25th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Cant be worse than the 16-0 banner hanging up in Gillette Stadium....

In 2012, Ohio State was banned from the postseason despite going 12-0 through the regular season. They named Lane Avenue adjacent to the stadium "12-0 Row". I don't know if they changed it back, it was still that way when I left

YoUDeeMan
November 25th, 2014, 09:40 AM

This kind of nonsense also occurs, to use one example out of the many, many examples out there, in DC area college basketball where Maryland and Georgetown refuse to play one another and Georgetown and George Washington have animosity dating back nearly 40 years. Let it go already - many fans want to see games with their backyard rivals, even if they are at different levels of quality.

In your opinion...IN CAPITAL LETTERS? xblahx

Delaware and Delaware State are only 50 miles apart...but they are light years apart in football history and facilities, and even further apart as schools. When DSU and UD play, UD gets nothing but a shallow, non-competitive win against a half azzed FCS program. And there is zero benefit, especially financially, for UD to play any of the games at DSU's high school stadium.

As fans, we want to see different teams, better teams, come in to play the Hens.

Of course, with Brock leading the Hens down the drain, DSU might be a damned good match up in the near future. Maybe that is the ultimate plan...drag things down to parity in the state of Delaware. xlolx

NoDak 4 Ever
November 25th, 2014, 09:43 AM

You should send this to Roger Thomas, Brian Faison, Charles Kupchella, Al Carlson, and a whole host of people not involved with NDSU.

UND had several opportunities to keep the rivalry going. They could have moved to DI when everybody else did, they could have signed a generous continual H/H agreement, and they could have stopped ****ting all over the NCAA and put themselves in a position for Summit and MVFC membership along with USD during their stupid nickname battle.

that needed to be stated, I'll not participate in another derailment.

Daytripper
November 25th, 2014, 10:02 AM

#CountIt!

You have everything correct except the actual national champion.

Silenoz
November 25th, 2014, 10:53 AM

#CountIt!
No valley teams in the championship? I'll take that bet

Silenoz
November 25th, 2014, 10:55 AM
I pray to god we are not the "Runner UP" again

Welcome to our world. Only 5 more to go.

Daytripper
November 25th, 2014, 10:56 AM
If NDSU doesn't win our side then I hope SHSU does, just so we have someone to unload all the tickets to.

You guys paid for my vacation two years in a row.

TheEagleSHSU
November 25th, 2014, 11:33 AM

Yeah it's real effing classy!!!! Makes me sick!

katstrapper
November 25th, 2014, 06:54 PM

Could they make a run?

No I don't think so and I don't see them getting past UNI.

katstrapper
November 25th, 2014, 06:58 PM
xcoolxDon't see KC Keeler making it to the finals this year. I see the Kats winning this weekend, but not much past that. This team is really young and not quite ready for the deep run in playoffs just yet. More mental than physical. This team is LOADED and I think the next 2-3 years the FCS better watch out. I think they could make another run like 2011, then finish the deal with a Natty.

katstrapper
November 25th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Yeah it's real effing classy!!!! Makes me sick!

That has Bobby Williams written all over it. Just another way for him to gloat and make everyone think HE is the real reason the program got where they did.

TheRevSFA
November 25th, 2014, 07:08 PM
No I don't think so and I don't see them getting past UNI.

That's not biased or anything

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah they're proud of being second.

FargoBison
November 25th, 2014, 10:38 PM
I think SHSU is putting it together at the right time but to play a tough game with SELA, then go on the road to play Jax State and then you are likely on the road again. Just too much of a grind...homefield and that bye week are just so huge this time of year. I have a hard time seeing any non-seeded team making it to Frisco.

Sam_Kats
November 26th, 2014, 08:30 AM
I'd like a little of what he's drinking too. I could see Sam making a little noise but WAAAY too young to get all the way through. Watch out for 2015-2016 though. Looking forward to seeing some great games from a VERY tough field. If the Bison make it back, I'll be joining the Frisco Cruiser again (maybe the name has changed) on Jan 10 if they'll have me.

HAIL PLAYOFFS!

TheEagleSHSU
November 26th, 2014, 08:54 AM
I'd like a little of what he's drinking too. I could see Sam making a little noise but WAAAY too young to get all the way through. Watch out for 2015-2016 though. Looking forward to seeing some great games from a VERY tough field. If the Bison make it back, I'll be joining the Frisco Cruiser again (maybe the name has changed) on Jan 10 if they'll have me.

HAIL PLAYOFFS!

I will have to agree with SK above about the team being to young. With this weekend being basically a rivalry game (quickly turning into one) I think the team comes out and wins at home. Then going on the road, possibly could get it done up to the quarters. However it will be tough dealing with the grind after that. I hope they surprise the **** out of us and go all the way. Not realistic.

deez_na
November 26th, 2014, 08:59 AM
No way in sam hell Sam Houston makes the title game.

Daytripper
November 26th, 2014, 12:09 PM

Sounds a lot like what was said in 2011.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 26th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Sounds a lot like what was said in 2011.

Are you kidding? You were the #1 seed.

Daytripper
November 26th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Are you kidding? You were the #1 seed.

But nobody really gave them any respect. They were the #1 seed because they were undefeated. Scroll back to this forum during that time. Nobody here gave them a chance in hell.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 26th, 2014, 12:15 PM
But nobody really gave them any respect. They were the #1 seed because they were undefeated. Scroll back to this forum during that time. Nobody here gave them a chance in hell.

Well I certainly gave you more of a chance than I do this year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 26th, 2014, 12:19 PM

Not this year for sure.

Daytripper
November 26th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Well I certainly gave you more of a chance than I do this year.

Actually a lot of similarities in the two teams. Both young with a sophomore QB and a stud RB. Both had an athletic defense that could be inconsistent at times. The only difference is that Fritz had the 2011 team the previous year to create continuity and knowledge of the system. This year's team started the season with a new coaching staff and system. But they are finishing strong. I agree that it is very unlikely that they will make it this year, but it would be dangerous to discount them completely. And Keeler has a record of playoff success. Guess that is why we play the games.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 26th, 2014, 12:42 PM
Actually a lot of similarities in the two teams. Both young with a sophomore QB and a stud RB. Both had an athletic defense that could be inconsistent at times. The only difference is that Fritz had the 2011 team the previous year to create continuity and knowledge of the system. This year's team started the season with a new coaching staff and system. But they are finishing strong. I agree that it is very unlikely that they will make it this year, but it would be dangerous to discount them completely. And Keeler has a record of playoff success. Guess that is why we play the games.

Except much like NDSU in 2010, you get your first at home and are on the road the rest of the way. It might work once but it's likely not sustainable.

frozennorth
November 26th, 2014, 12:51 PM

How about you mind your own business?

Nickels
November 26th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Except much like NDSU in 2010, you get your first at home and are on the road the rest of the way. It might work once but it's likely not sustainable.We had no problem doing it in 2012.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 26th, 2014, 04:31 PM
We had no problem doing it in 2012.

You don't get to feast on the Big Fluffy this time.

Texas
November 26th, 2014, 06:03 PM
You don't get to feast on the Big Fluffy this time.

Realistically we know the chances are slim but never say never. As much as I hate to give Keeler any props he does have a knack for making runs.

BisonFan02
November 26th, 2014, 10:43 PM
I think Sammy is a year away at this point....gonna be a good team in year 2-3 under Keeler with Johnson....depth will be key.

penguinpower
November 26th, 2014, 11:10 PM
Hahaha Sam Houston lost to a D2 school. EW doesn't have the defense to make it. Funny.

Texas
November 27th, 2014, 07:44 AM
Hahaha Sam Houston lost to a D2 school. EW doesn't have the defense to make it. Funny.

Shh, play off teams are talking here.

tjamz
November 28th, 2014, 01:09 PM

HAIL PLAYOFFS!

If we play you guys again in the future there is a damn good chance we'll bring the ol' girl down to Texas again.... save us a spot in the front corner of your parking lot again? :-D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

BisonFan02
November 28th, 2014, 02:49 PM
If we play you guys again in the future there is a damn good chance we'll bring the ol' girl down to Texas again.... save us a spot in the front corner of your parking lot again? :-D

Who's driving? xlolx

dudeitsaid
November 28th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Ha ha, YS chokes away their chances every year, and aren't even in the discussion. Funny...

tjamz
November 28th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Who's driving? xlolx

If we play SHSU I'll drive. I still think one of the Kat fans should just buy the thing from us though

tomq04
December 6th, 2014, 07:44 PM
BUMP!!!

dudeitsaid
December 6th, 2014, 07:45 PM
BUMP!!!

LOL, if this turns out to be the championship game, make sure to give me the powerball numbers!

kalm
December 7th, 2014, 01:41 PM
BUMP!!!

Beat me to it!

veinup
December 7th, 2014, 01:47 PM
hahaha. lookin good

Daytripper
December 8th, 2014, 12:34 PM
hahaha. lookin good

Bookends to the season. Poetic justice.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Holy crap do I want Sammy to beat Villanova this weekend. I'm sure there's some seniors who would love to have been beaten by NDSU 3 times.

Daytripper
December 8th, 2014, 12:42 PM
Holy crap do I want Sammy to beat Villanova this weekend. I'm sure there's some seniors who would love to have been beaten by NDSU 3 times.

xslapfightx

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2014, 12:45 PM
xslapfightx

:D

saxbison
December 8th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Honestly, SHSU scares me as a potential opponent. They are peaking at the right time, much like NDSU in 2010, and they have excellent skill players. Combine that with the fact that we have a small rivalry, I don't think this would be a sure thing for the Bison. Of course, NDSU must get by CCU this weekend, and SHSU must beat Nova for this matchup. If this happens, it could be one for the ages.

Daytripper
December 8th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Honestly, SHSU scares me as a potential opponent. They are peaking at the right time, much like NDSU in 2010, and they have excellent skill players. Combine that with the fact that we have a small rivalry, I don't think this would be a sure thing for the Bison. Of course, NDSU must get by CCU this weekend, and SHSU must beat Nova for this matchup. If this happens, it could be one for the ages.

It would be the most commented on for sure that week. The way I see it, if we want to be #1, gotta beat #1 (sorry UNH, earn it first). I just worry about our young players in that crazy ass dome. Don't think they've heard anything like that before. But 'Nova is first and foremost.

Nickels
December 8th, 2014, 01:00 PM

Yeah all two senior starters would be really upset.

A vast majority of our players have never seen the Bison nor care about who they beat a few years ago.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2014, 01:08 PM

A vast majority of our players have never seen the Bison nor care about who they beat a few years ago.

oh yeah. forgot about Transfer U.

Daytripper
December 8th, 2014, 02:23 PM
oh yeah. forgot about Transfer U.
xboringx

FormerPokeCenter
December 8th, 2014, 02:28 PM

Beat me to the punch.....how many players are still on the roster from that game? 3? 4?

Sammy94
December 8th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Beat me to the punch.....how many players are still on the roster from that game? 3? 4?

7 or 8 most of them graduated last year.

Nickels
December 8th, 2014, 02:50 PM
7 or 8 most of them graduated last year.
I'm surprised it's that many. Aren't something like 24/44 on the two deep freshman?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2014, 02:53 PM

From 2 years ago? How bad is the turnover there?

Daytripper
December 8th, 2014, 02:54 PM
From 2 years ago? How bad is the turnover there?

I know quite a few quit when Fritz left. Most were backups, anyway I imagine.

clawman
December 9th, 2014, 07:48 AM
The title of this thread is looking more possible each weekend. I definitely see the possibilities and don't like it much. I'd rather play NDSU than a peaking SHSU.

superman7515
December 9th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Keeler better pony up some money for a decent chain gang in this one. xlolx

kalm
December 9th, 2014, 08:09 AM
Keeler better pony up some money for a decent chain gang in this one. xlolx

And a second half defense.

Sammy94
December 9th, 2014, 08:14 AM
I'm surprised it's that many. Aren't something like 24/44 on the two deep freshman?

Not counting the redshirt freshman that made the trip, I counted 9, 11 if you count Shane Young and Gary Lorance who are both done do to injuries but are officially still on the roster. Of those 9 only 3 are on the 2-deep.

- - - Updated - - -

And a second half defense.

You mean the one that held Jax St to no points on Sat.?

Nickels
December 9th, 2014, 08:29 AM
The title of this thread is looking more possible each weekend. I definitely see the possibilities and don't like it much. I'd rather play NDSU than a peaking SHSU.
I think your giving us too much credit IMO. We still haven't played a complete game yet. We've been too inconstant in nearly every phase to even begin talking about knocking off the Bison. One big advantage we do have is a lack of pressure. This team has already overachieved and this season will be looked as a success no matter what happens Saturday and beyond considering the huge amount of uncertainty going into the season. The team has nothing to lose and will be back stronger next year. A full offseason and recruiting class will certainly help. IMO we've never had such a lack of pressure during a playoff run.

Nickels
December 9th, 2014, 08:31 AM
You mean the one that held Jax St to no points on Sat.?
I believe he is referring to Keeler's last NC game. Apparently the Hens gave that game away in the second half and had some kind of chain gang error that cost them dearly.

clawman
December 9th, 2014, 08:36 AM
I think your giving us too much credit IMO. We still haven't played a complete game yet. We've been too inconstant in nearly every phase to even begin talking about knocking off the Bison. One big advantage we do have is a lack of pressure. This team has already overachieved and this season will be looked as a success no matter what happens Saturday and beyond considering the huge amount of uncertainty going into the season. The team has nothing to lose and will be back stronger next year. A full offseason and recruiting class will certainly help. IMO we've never had such a lack of pressure during a playoff run.
I was impressed when I saw them in Cheney and it appears they are putting things together. Their biggest disadvantage to whoever they play now is all of the travel. I do not want to face them in Frisco but feel that is a real possibility.

marenlee
December 9th, 2014, 09:14 AM

Nothing against Sammy. But I want Villanova because they're "new" to the Bison.

BisonFan02
December 9th, 2014, 09:23 AM
Nothing against Sammy. But I want Villanova because they're "new" to the Bison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTx__3AIusw

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2014, 09:32 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTx__3AIusw

Those guys should have been able to play in the playoffs.

PMBison
December 9th, 2014, 09:58 AM

Sure do hope you get your wish. Although, I think you will regret it.xlolx

Daytripper
December 9th, 2014, 11:36 AM

Thanks for the respect. No reasonable SHSU fan saw this coming until late in the season.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 9th, 2014, 12:05 PM
Those guys should have been able to play in the playoffs.

Why? Were they in some way not required to move up under the same rules as anyone else?

PMBison
December 9th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Why? Were they in some way not required to move up under the same rules as anyone else?

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that that's not what he meant by the comment. Rather, I'm guessing he meant that they were good and it would have been nice to see them have a chance in the playoffs. Probably a rare thing to have a team good enough to compete for a national championship at the next level, during their transition years.

PMBison
December 9th, 2014, 01:35 PM
Also, I don't personally see the validity in making teams wait for playoff eligibility. If their only goal is to discourage teams from going up a level then I feel like there are better ways to accomplish that goal.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 9th, 2014, 01:46 PM
Also, I don't personally see the validity in making teams wait for playoff eligibility. If their only goal is to discourage teams from going up a level then I feel like there are better ways to accomplish that goal.

It has to do with differences in recruiting etc. and all know this before making the jump so anything after the fact doesn't really matter.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 9th, 2014, 01:49 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that that's not what he meant by the comment. Rather, I'm guessing he meant that they were good and it would have been nice to see them have a chance in the playoffs. Probably a rare thing to have a team good enough to compete for a national championship at the next level, during their transition years.

Oh you'd be off on that one a bit. I mean it could be considered rare but it has happened several times and even more impressive is when new startups do it. GSU, ODU, etc.

I think we had Troy State, UCA, and a few other move ups be right in the mix of things immediately but haven't went back to look for sure as to when in their transitions.

PMBison
December 9th, 2014, 01:56 PM
It has to do with differences in recruiting etc. and all know this before making the jump so anything after the fact doesn't really matter.

Just curious, do you know any of the specifics behind say the recruiting differences. My common sense would tell me that the team moving up would be at a disadvantage in recruiting. I guess my question is, what differences give the team moving up an advantage and why is the rule in place other than just discouraging universities from making the move when it might not be appropriate. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I have just never understood the reasoning behind the rule and am curious if you could fill me in.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 9th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Just curious, do you know any of the specifics behind say the recruiting differences. My common sense would tell me that the team moving up would be at a disadvantage in recruiting. I guess my question is, what differences give the team moving up an advantage and why is the rule in place other than just discouraging universities from making the move when it might not be appropriate. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I have just never understood the reasoning behind the rule and am curious if you could fill me in.

No I do not have the specifics but I did see them posted years ago. It had something to do with there being a slightly higher standard for D1 recruits and this is the reason for the length of time in the waiting period is to purge a program of all who were recruited under D2.

I'll be someone else will have it handy and post the rule. It made good sense to me when I read it back then though. Before I read it I would have agreed with you though.

Professor Chaos
December 9th, 2014, 02:05 PM
I believe it has more to do with NCAA minimum admission standards being different for schools competing at the D2 level compared to D1. For instance, a superior player may not have the grades to make it at a D1 school so he goes D2 so it that school decides to transition to D1 level and the guy has already been admitted into the school. The transition period is meant to close that loophole.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 9th, 2014, 02:07 PM
I believe it has more to do with NCAA minimum admission standards being different for schools competing at the D2 level compared to D1. For instance, a superior player may not have the grades to make it at a D1 school so he goes D2 so it that school decides to transition to D1 level and the guy has already been admitted into the school. The transition period is meant to close that loophole.

That was it! Thanks PC. Love this place for things like this...instant gratification of random questions. xlolx

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2014, 02:11 PM

Isn't that how Randy Moss ended up at FBS Marshall? They must have changed the rules since they were immediately eligible for bowls.

Professor Chaos
December 9th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Isn't that how Randy Moss ended up at FBS Marshall? They must have changed the rules since they were immediately eligible for bowls.
I don't think the NCAA minimum requirements are any different between FBS and FCS. However, I know many FBS schools have higher academic standards than what the NCAA mandates. I'm sure Notre Dame has higher standards that what the NCAA mandates and Florida St probably does as well (well, maybe not Florida St ;)). I think the reason he transferred to Marshall was because he knew he'd get run out of Florida St after his legal troubles and didn't want to wait a year to play at another FBS school since he had already redshirted.

EDIT: Check that, he was actually dismissed at Florida St (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Moss#College_career). Marshall was glad to take him though, haha.