PDA

View Full Version : I-AA Recap: Heartbreak Hotel -- Coulson

blackfordpu
November 12th, 2006, 08:26 PM
I-AA Recap: Heartbreak Hotel

David Coulson, I-AA.org senior columnist

Elvis Presley used to sing about a Heartbreak Hotel and on Saturday, Elvis would have had plenty of company around I-AA football willing to do harmonies.

As the regular season wound down in its second to last weekend, there big winners and even bigger losers. There were tears of joy and sobs of disappointment.

And the Heartbreak Hotel had its no vacancy sign flashing by the end of another wild and crazy day of play.

The crying time started in Amherst, Mass. where Maine seemed on the verge of an upset when quarterback Ron Whitcomb (21-of-30 for 183 yards passing, 15 carries, 45 yards rushing) finished off a 51-yard drive to score on a one-yard run with 1:44 remaining.

Trailing 10-0 earlier in the fourth quarter, the Black Bears had rallied to within 10-9 after Devin McNeill’s 34-yard field goal and Whitcomb’s TD to grab the game’s momentum by the throat.

And it appeared fortune was still smiling on Maine when a messed up snap on the extra point attempt was negated by an illegal procedure penalty. But given a second chance, the Black Bears instead took the first reservation at the Heartbreak Hotel when McNeill’s PAT sailed wide left.

After UMass recovered the onside kick, it ran out the clock to clinch a win that not only knocked Maine (6-4) out of playoff contention, but also won the Atlantic 10 championship and an automatic bid to the Division I Championship playoffs in two weeks.

http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=82113