PDA

View Full Version : AppleTv/WatchESPN Help please

UNHFan
November 24th, 2014, 11:06 AM
I have driectv for TV and Comcast for internet.

I can't watch WatchESPN/ESPN3 since I don't have a choice for Directv to login since they don't have a a deal with Watch ESPN. When I login with my Comcast info I can't watch anything Live I get "Your comcast subscription doesn't include this channel"

OK this all makes sense now the question

if I get an AppleTV box does this problem go away? Or do I have to login using comcast (my internet provider) and then they will know I don't have ESPN via comcast TV package

Sorry if this is confusing its just been a nightmare trying to get the accurate answer

centennial
November 24th, 2014, 11:08 AM
Does your watch ESPN app work?

Sycamore62
November 24th, 2014, 11:14 AM
you might be able to call directv and haggle over the price of the college gameplan otherwise you could pay like $25 for it

you can watch it on espn3.com though. its the apps that dont let you watch

UNHFan
November 24th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Does your watch ESPN app work?
no it doesn't I have directv so I can't login with my TV package. When I try my internet provider comcast it knows I don't have a TV package with them. Direct is the only provider that hasn't worked out a deal yet...If I had Dish I wouldn't have this problem.

What I am asking is.. if I get AppleTV is it going to ask my to login with a TV provider?

UNHFan
November 24th, 2014, 11:21 AM
you might be able to call directv and haggle over the price of the college gameplan otherwise you could pay like $25 for it

you can watch it on espn3.com though. its the apps that dont let you watch
Directv is and espn3 do not have a deal.. again so I try logging in with my comcast internet login... It says I am not a TV subscriber

Sycamore62
November 24th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Directv is and espn3 do not have a deal.. again so I try logging in with my comcast internet login... It says I am not a TV subscriber

I may not be helping you but I just use my PC Laptop and watch it. If you have xbox live you can watch it on a 360 or one. I have mediacom internet and directv and have the same problem with the watchespn app.

dystopiamembrane
November 24th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Some kind soul will probably be streaming the UNH game. Look here on game day: http://fırstrowsports.eu/football

NoDak 4 Ever
November 24th, 2014, 11:30 AM
I have driectv for TV and Comcast for internet.

I can't watch WatchESPN/ESPN3 since I don't have a choice for Directv to login since they don't have a a deal with Watch ESPN. When I login with my Comcast info I can't watch anything Live I get "Your comcast subscription doesn't include this channel"

OK this all makes sense now the question

if I get an AppleTV box does this problem go away? Or do I have to login using comcast (my internet provider) and then they will know I don't have ESPN via comcast TV package

Sorry if this is confusing its just been a nightmare trying to get the accurate answer

Short answer, no. It won't

I have DirecTV and WOW for internet (regional provider). I have the same problem. Games are on ESPN3 which WOW has but I cannot watch them on any device using a WatchESPN app because that is a different thing for some reason.

I use an Xbox for my ESPN app or I watch on my computer. If you have a laptop and get ESPN3, you can use a HDMI cable to connect it to your television or get a Chromecast for $35 and send it from a Chrome browser to your television.

Those really are your best options.

danefan
November 24th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Until ESPN wishes up like HBO did and offers streaming only subscriptions, you're SOL.

clenz
November 24th, 2014, 01:55 PM
watchespn and espn3 are different things

Gater
November 24th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Email your friends to see who has Time Warner (or any of those other providers listed) and have them send you their password.

pokefan02
November 24th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Though it does not help you right now, Directv and Disney/ESPN/ABC are negotiating a new contract which should include access to both ESPN3 and WatchESPN.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 24th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Though it does not help you right now, Directv and Disney/ESPN/ABC are negotiating a new contract which should include access to both ESPN3 and WatchESPN.

I've been hearing that for months. I'm not holding my breath.

pokefan02
November 24th, 2014, 02:21 PM
The contract expires at the end of the year

Sent from my HTC M8

Sycamore62
November 24th, 2014, 02:48 PM
go to a computer and type this

www.espn3.com

not a tablet or a phone

centennial
November 24th, 2014, 03:07 PM
You can use ESPN3 with Chromecast. When I had Comcast that is what I did. Now I have dish and century link. Not sure ESPN 3 works with Xbox but you might want to check that too.

Bisonator
November 24th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Are these gonna be on gameplan?

rokamortis
November 24th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Do you have a Mac? If so - you can airplay the ESPN3 feed from your Mac to your AppleTV. If you have a PC you can do the same thing with software like AirParrot.

I had the exact same setup (DirecTV / Comcast) and it worked great. I just switched back to Comcast for cable because DirecTV's digital offerings sucked and Comcast gave me a great deal.

rokamortis
November 24th, 2014, 03:17 PM
go to a computer and type this

www.espn3.com (http://www.espn3.com)

not a tablet or a phone

Ok, missed this. Yes - this is the key. espn3.com works but watchespn doesn't as it is for more than just espn3.

NDSUtmmkr
November 24th, 2014, 03:34 PM
Your problem is one we encountered last year. I too have a DirecTv Acct and MidContinent for Internet. MidContinent is a subscriber to WatchEspn but since i do not carry Midcontenent for my cable I am only allowed to watch Espn3. It doesnt matter if i try from a computer, a iPhone or from AppleTv. My work around was finding a coworker that uses Midcontinent for their cable subscription and had him set me up a dummy acct as there is no limit for accts. Which now allows me access to all programming via WatchEspn. For tailgating we use an iphone for a hotspot mirrored to an AppleTv. Works fantastically, unless you are in Ames IA where i dont think they know what the internet is.

UNHFan
November 24th, 2014, 03:56 PM
[QUOTE=Sycamore62;2186022]go to a computer and type this
Found my answer as

Solved the problem called comcast.. my bill will increase about 15-20 bucks I don't even have to hook up the tv box they are giving me if I just want to view ESPN internet and Apps on phone and tab thank god I got an agent who understood what I was trying to do

Not bad Ill dump it in a few months anyway

Gordon Shumway
November 24th, 2014, 05:12 PM
I'm a little confused by what you are trying to do, but I think you are wasting some money. ESPN3 is tied to your ISP, and Watch ESPN is tied to your TV provider. I have DirecTV as well, so no WATCH ESPN as yet. However my ISP has ESPN3, and I have no problems watching them on a computer, tablet, or phone. ESPN3 shows COMCAST as a partner, so you could do the same. Just remember when you go to the WATCH ESPN page to select ESPN3 from the dropdown channel list, and sign in with your ISP account.

Hammerhead
November 24th, 2014, 05:59 PM
Are these gonna be on gameplan?

I just checked and all of the 1st round games will be on gameplan per http://espn.go.com/college-football/schedule/_/week/14/group/81

centennial
November 24th, 2014, 07:04 PM
I'm a little confused by what you are trying to do, but I think you are wasting some money. ESPN3 is tied to your ISP, and Watch ESPN is tied to your TV provider. I have DirecTV as well, so no WATCH ESPN as yet. However my ISP has ESPN3, and I have no problems watching them on a computer, tablet, or phone. ESPN3 shows COMCAST as a partner, so you could do the same. Just remember when you go to the WATCH ESPN page to select ESPN3 from the dropdown channel list, and sign in with your ISP account.

This. Espn3 + Chromecast and you are set. Otherwise, HDMI cable does the job too.

Bisonator
November 24th, 2014, 07:14 PM
I just checked and all of the 1st round games will be on gameplan per http://espn.go.com/college-football/schedule/_/week/14/group/81

Thanks Hammer!

Sycamore62
November 24th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Espn3 app will work on Xbox 1&360. I assume you have to have xbox live or whatever costs $60/yr

you don't need to subscribe to anything with cable or internet. Just be connected to the Internet id that makes sense

NoDak 4 Ever
November 24th, 2014, 07:57 PM
Espn3 app will work on Xbox 1&360. I assume you have to have xbox live or whatever costs $60/yr

you don't need to subscribe to anything with cable or internet. Just be connected to the Internet id that makes sense

You don't need Gold anymore for the video apps, that's a change made this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

clenz
November 24th, 2014, 09:40 PM
You don't need Gold anymore for the video apps, that's a change made this year.

Also who is paying tyne full 60 for that subscription?

I just reupped for 12 more months of gold for 25 bucks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Walkon79
November 24th, 2014, 10:28 PM

GREAT NEWS! Thanks for the info!

Mattymc727
November 25th, 2014, 06:49 AM
is watchESPN downloadable on the PS4?

Sycamore62
November 25th, 2014, 07:40 AM

Im gonna hijack this.....last time I paid was last year.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 25th, 2014, 07:41 AM

I always found a card online for $25-35 but I only used the Gold for ESPN and stuff so I don't get it anymore.

Sycamore62
November 25th, 2014, 07:44 AM
is watchESPN downloadable on the PS4?

Im not sure on this HOWEVER for the Xbox, it's not actually the watchespn app. It's the espn3 app. I have no idea why these things are different but they are. In my situation I cannot use the iPad/iPhone watchespn app but I can use the Xbox espn3 app

my best guess is that it was designed by the government

Mattymc727
November 25th, 2014, 08:12 AM
Im not sure on this HOWEVER for the Xbox, it's not actually the watchespn app. It's the espn3 app. I have no idea why these things are different but they are. In my situation I cannot use the iPad/iPhone watchespn app but I can use the Xbox espn3 app

my best guess is that it was designed by the government

For some reason ESPN works with xbox live accounts only. Luckily I also have a roku and the app is on there.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 25th, 2014, 08:13 AM
For some reason ESPN works with xbox live accounts only. Luckily I also have a roku and the app is on there.

If you have a Xbox, you have a Xbox live basic account, that will get you ESPN. The app on Roku requires a TV subscriber.

Sycamore62
November 25th, 2014, 08:27 AM
I would like to note, that it is sad that we have to have a #35 post thread on how to watch these ****ing games. Just sad.

They must want us not to watch, and they are putting up a good fight.

Mattymc727
November 25th, 2014, 08:44 AM
If you have a Xbox, you have a Xbox live basic account, that will get you ESPN. The app on Roku requires a TV subscriber.

Unfortunately I dont. But I can access via internet/laptop and then cable to the tv if need be. Just trying to figure out the extent of my capabilities.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 25th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Unfortunately I dont. But I can access via internet/laptop and then cable to the tv if need be. Just trying to figure out the extent of my capabilities.

There are a few of us in the same boat. While set top boxes have made it easier to get web content onto the television, the providers are making it harder.

Sycamore62
November 25th, 2014, 08:51 AM
I would like to note, that it is sad that we have to have a #35 post thread on how to watch these ****ing games. Just sad.

although 10 years ago i would have had to listen on the radio. Ill stop complaining

Bisonator
November 25th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Why doesn't ESPN3 just allow people to buy direct online? Why do they insist on going thru ISP's?

kdinva
November 25th, 2014, 09:04 AM

They want you/us to watch Herbstreit 24/7...... xslapfightx

xarguex