PDA

View Full Version : Youngstown State Coaching Change?

superman7515
November 23rd, 2014, 03:49 PM
Meeting tomorrow to decide the fate of Eric Wolford. Does he make it another season?

NY Crusader 2010
November 23rd, 2014, 03:50 PM
Would he simply be a victim of a back-loaded schedule or is there more to the story?

FargoBison
November 23rd, 2014, 03:55 PM
Guessing Tressel will pull the plug after their latest collapse.

superman7515
November 23rd, 2014, 03:55 PM
Would he simply be a victim of a back-loaded schedule or is there more to the story?

My guess would be the five years with no playoff appearances. He has a 31-26 record, but the first season was 3-8, so after the system changes went in place he has gone 28-18. Not bad, but not good enough to make the postseason.

Bisonator
November 23rd, 2014, 04:36 PM
Pretty sure he is gone.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 23rd, 2014, 04:38 PM
My $$ is he is gone.

CommishBigSmooth
November 23rd, 2014, 04:42 PM

I know this came up in another thread about the backloaded schedule. Simply ain't true. If they didn't lose that early October game at home to an at best mediocre Western Illinois team, they're in the playoffs today regardless of losing these last three.

Last year they had NDSU and SDSU at home to end the season and lost both games by double digit margins.

In 2012 they went 0-for-October to eliminate themselves before Halloween even rolled around.

And in '11 they beat NDSU at home but choked away a 10-point lead with less than 10 minutes left in the finale against a bad Missouri State team (who only won one other game that year) to wind up 6-5.

Decent teams but not playoff caliber. At a school like Youngstown, I can't imagine they'll keep him around for another year.

dewey
November 23rd, 2014, 05:37 PM
I know this came up in another thread about the backloaded schedule. Simply ain't true. If they didn't lose that early October game at home to an at best mediocre Western Illinois team, they're in the playoffs today regardless of losing these last three.

Last year they had NDSU and SDSU at home to end the season and lost both games by double digit margins.

In 2012 they went 0-for-October to eliminate themselves before Halloween even rolled around.

And in '11 they beat NDSU at home but choked away a 10-point lead with less than 10 minutes left in the finale against a bad Missouri State team (who only won one other game that year) to wind up 6-5.

Decent teams but not playoff caliber. At a school like Youngstown, I can't imagine they'll keep him around for another year.

Good post. Also had they beaten Indiana State last week then they would have been in as well. I would bet that Wolford is gone.

Dewey

ValleyTalk
November 23rd, 2014, 07:15 PM
I will probably hear more tomorrow morning, but right now my pure guess is that he is gone. He signed a 1-year extension before this season started, so would it really be necessary for the Board of Trustees to meet tomorrow morning to tell him that his job is safe for one more year? I would certainly not think so. I believe the meeting is planned to go over the buyout procedures.

Fortunately for YSU, his buyout is very favorable to the financially strapped university. Per Joe Scalzo, YSU beat reporter for the Youngstown Vindicator:
"As I reported earlier this year, Wolford's buyout is for $150,000 if YSU goes 7-5. But here's the catch: YSU's buyout would be offset by whatever Wolford makes as an assistant coach next season, assuming he doesn't decide to sit out the season. (That strikes me as very unlikely.) Assuming he gets a job as an offensive line coach at a major program — which strikes me as likely — YSU probably won't owe much of anything."

YSU FAN#34
November 23rd, 2014, 07:28 PM

Couldn't agree with this more. Our schedule whether front loaded or back loaded or wherever loaded is loaded just by the conference we play in. Sorry, i am not trying to be an MFVC homer but i think its true. We have had our chances and straight up choked them away. The loss to WIU and ISUb in 2014 was the problem. Not the back loaded schedule. I could go on and on but at the end of the day there are only two words that sum up Wolford and Heacock before him...PLAYOFF APPEARANCES. Forget about the Tressel years...really who cares anymore. They are long long gone. The only thing that matters is a tradition was built for our football team and now, IMHO, we are borderline irrelevant. And that hurts...BAD!!! Sorry, but plain and simple Wolford cant get it done. I don't care why because that is also irrelevant. So with that, it is definitely time for a change. I just hope they don't keep our fans waiting. Do it and do it now.

CappinHard
November 24th, 2014, 01:43 AM
I stood by his wife when they played at SDSU this year. I was cheering for SDSU pretty hard and she convinced me that I need to cheer for YSU because if they don't make the post season this year, her husband will be looking for another job and they will be moving. It kind of made me feel sympathetic for coaches' families. The writing is on the wall and has been all year, it's a done deal.

ysubigred
November 24th, 2014, 08:20 AM
I'll called for his head year two.. Most of the Y-town faithful has abandoned ship and I just hang around to see what's going to happen. It is sad that a coach get's fired for his product he puts on the field. There is a few delusional YSU fans that say YSU has all the talent but lacks the coaching. Wolford as a recruiter has "NOT" recruited a lot of talent (football players) stats and bio's appear to be great but overall they are weak when it comes to intestinal fortitude and passion for the game. This is a reflection of what is going on in the locker room. The funniest post I've seen so far is by another YSU fan saying he'd like the "O" coordinator hired as the next head coach :pumpuke:

NoDak 4 Ever
November 24th, 2014, 08:23 AM
I stood by his wife when they played at SDSU this year. I was cheering for SDSU pretty hard and she convinced me that I need to cheer for YSU because if they don't make the post season this year, her husband will be looking for another job and they will be moving. It kind of made me feel sympathetic for coaches' families. The writing is on the wall and has been all year, it's a done deal.

Damn, that is a fine lookin woman! I would have done anything she asked.

SIUSalukiFan
November 24th, 2014, 08:38 AM
Lots of similarities in the situations at Youngstown State and Southern Illinois.

Many of my fellow Saluki fans want Lennon ridden out of town ASAP but like Youngstown, SIU isn't in the position to spend a lot of money buying out and hiring new coaches.

Funny stuff - If Dale Lennon had completed his most-recent three-year stretch of 6-5, 7-5, 6-6 15 years ago at SIU there would be statues of him around campus. Now, the program is swirling around the toilet. xlolx

Youngstown State has much more history than SIU so I can't even imagine what that fan base there is thinking.

REALBird
November 24th, 2014, 08:51 AM
CappinHard,

I remember when Denver Johnson was our head coach at ISU. Oh there were times I wanted to run this guy out of town because we always seemed to underachieve never win the games that mattered. Way too many 5-6 or 6-5 teams for my liking. Many times I wanted this guy out of Normal on the first thing smoking!

THEN I had a chance encounter with a member of his coaching staff. Likeable BIG guy who's daughter went to the same daycare as my daughter. I used to have doughnuts and milk with my daughter every Friday and discovered he did the same thing. Our daughters would chat about whatever 3-4 yr old girls do, and we would talk football.

He would tell me how ISU would shoot for the stars and go after kids who ended up at schools like Northern Illinois or other MAC schools, just because it was a higher level of football. He mentioned how, we always monitored those kids....wanted to see if they were getting PT, and when those kids eventually decided to transfer, he hoped they would remember how well they were treated and recruited by Illinois State. Ultimately, it gave me more insight into what those guys do for a living, and how their careers...their livelihoods depend on picking the right 18-22 yr old kids to build a program.

I met his wife and discovered she worked at the same place my wife worked. We started sitting with the Coaches family so our daughters could play and hang out at the games. I could never understand why they all sat together but always seemed so cliquishly uncomfortable. The DEF was bad and the next year, another coach was replacing that guy and another wife joined the "sorority". I started realizing that yes, they get paid a crap load of money to coach, that IT IS a business. But I guess it never dawned on me that moving from Wherever, OK to Cornfield, IL. just to coach my alma mater, just to build a program in a place where they had no ties to, to gain "security" and raise their kids is what most were doing.

The sports fan in me saw W's and L's. The humanistic side of me saw people who were moving every few years, leaving behind good friends and bad memories. Trading one college town in for the next one. The big guy saw the writing on the wall first, moved to take a HS job in another state. The wife stayed at her corporate job until the kids got out of school, then followed soon after....as soon as they could sell the house.

I feel for your coach and his family, and wish them nothing but the best. Sometimes we get "hardened" to things from a sports perspective, "FireThisCoach.Com" and forget that there are other people impacted by those actions.

Good luck on the coaching search. Thanks for sharing.

Sycamore62
November 24th, 2014, 09:34 AM
They also make unreal amounts of money and they always have a job the next year. plus doesnt Wolford get 150K if he doesnt coach next year or guaranteed up to that if he goes somewhere else?

So basically he's up on me next year by triple what I make.

centennial
November 24th, 2014, 09:52 AM
They also make unreal amounts of money and they always have a job the next year. plus doesnt Wolford get 150K if he doesnt coach next year or guaranteed up to that if he goes somewhere else?

So basically he's up on me next year by triple what I make.
Wolford makes 250k.

Sycamore62
November 24th, 2014, 09:58 AM
Wolford makes 250k.
someone commented that his contract says if he wins 7 games and they dont renew they will pay him 150k minus what he makes somewhere else

SIUSalukiFan
November 24th, 2014, 10:21 AM
One of the beauties of football at the FCS level is the lack of insanity when it comes to hiring and firing coaches seem among FBS schools.

I understand the angst at Youngstown State. I understand the angst among my Saluki brethren.

I'm just not sure how you fire guys who have won more games than they have lost at their schools and haven't had losing seasons in 3-4 years simply because they didn't make the playoffs.

It's a tough call.

Libertine
November 24th, 2014, 10:37 AM
They also make unreal amounts of money and they always have a job the next year.

Some do, some don't.

CappinHard
November 24th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Damn, that is a fine lookin woman! I would have done anything she asked.

Exactly. Idk if YSU paid for her **ts, but if you did, thank you. ;)

unigriff
November 24th, 2014, 10:50 AM
YSU should be in over SFA and Montana. I blame Tressel for letting them have a back-loaded schedule again.

ysubigred
November 24th, 2014, 10:54 AM
YSU should be in over SFA and Montana. I blame Tressel for letting them have a back-loaded schedule again.

Not Jim Tressel but the AD. Back loaded schedules are bad xlolx

MR. CHICKEN
November 24th, 2014, 12:31 PM

20152.......LOST LAST THREE.....AGIN'.........AN' YA'S...GOT UH BONUS WHIFF SYCAMORE STATE......'CAUSE NO ONE ELSE....WANTED TA PARTICIPATE......xsmhx....GEEESH!

FargoBison
November 24th, 2014, 05:26 PM
Wolford is out....Per ESPN...https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/537020699098230785

Lehigh Football Nation
November 24th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Let's prepare ourselves for "Jim Tressel, Youngstown State President/Football Coach".

ValleyTalk
November 24th, 2014, 05:30 PM
Let's prepare ourselves for "Jim Tressel, Youngstown State President/Football Coach".
Don't kid yourself.

MR. CHICKEN
November 24th, 2014, 05:48 PM
20155....WHAAA NOT?........TRESSEL PLAYED...NORFF DAKOTAH STATE TYPE FOOTBALL........PUNISHIN' GROUND GAME....GAME MANAGER QB......STUDLEY DEFENSE.....GOOD PUNTER/KICKER..........AWK!

IBleedYellow
November 24th, 2014, 05:55 PM
Is Tressel still on probation from the OSU fallout?

Sent from a TI-83+ Calculator

NoDak 4 Ever
November 24th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Is Tressel still on probation from the OSU fallout?

Sent from a TI-83+ Calculator

I think the show cause penalty goes through 2015

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

NoDak 4 Ever
November 24th, 2014, 08:00 PM
I think the show cause penalty goes through 2015

Correction 2016

SoupCity85
November 24th, 2014, 08:06 PM
One of the beauties of football at the FCS level is the lack of insanity when it comes to hiring and firing coaches seem among FBS schools.

I understand the angst at Youngstown State. I understand the angst among my Saluki brethren.

I'm just not sure how you fire guys who have won more games than they have lost at their schools and haven't had losing seasons in 3-4 years simply because they didn't make the playoffs.

It's a tough call.

SIUSaluki....as a YSU fan, I absolutely agree with what you said. I don't know the issues at SIU, but at YSU, it comes down to late year losses. In each of the last 3 seasons, we knew the losses were coming. You'll see some YSU fans writing about playoffs and I don't necessarily agree with all that. What I didn't like was the lack of improvement throughout the season. And at the end of the day, that what's costs your team the playoffs. Wolford's teams continually failed when it was time to step up.

IBleedYellow
November 24th, 2014, 08:06 PM
Yeah, so I doubt it'll be Tressel, unless they want to go with that mess with the NCAA.

SIUSalukiFan
November 24th, 2014, 09:18 PM
SIUSaluki....as a YSU fan, I absolutely agree with what you said. I don't know the issues at SIU, but at YSU, it comes down to late year losses. In each of the last 3 seasons, we knew the losses were coming. You'll see some YSU fans writing about playoffs and I don't necessarily agree with all that. What I didn't like was the lack of improvement throughout the season. And at the end of the day, that what's costs your team the playoffs. Wolford's teams continually failed when it was time to step up.

As did Dale Lennon's. Three years in a row SIU had its destiny in its hands and failed all three times.

Now, the other side of the coin - Lennon is 48-34 in his tenure at SIU. During his Saluki career SIU has had more academic All-Americans (8) than it had during the previous 46 years. Until three weeks ago there had been no major disciplinary issues with the SIU football team under Lennon.

I'm not saying I'm happy with .500 seasons. I'm just saying it's so much tougher at this level because the decisions are more complex and not driven by boosters and big money.

clenz
November 24th, 2014, 09:28 PM
Once kills upper clasdmen graduated in 09 Lennons inability to recruit has shown.

25-29 in d1 games since and 19-21 on MVC games

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

SIUSalukiFan
November 24th, 2014, 10:40 PM
Once kills upper clasdmen graduated in 09 Lennons inability to recruit has shown.

25-29 in d1 games since and 19-21 on MVC games

And, yet, Lennon has gone 3-2 against UNI in the same span. xlolx

Seriously, has Lennon recruited as well as Kill? Absolutely not. Kill was tied into the Kansas JUCO pipeline and could always fill holes with one or two phone calls. But Lennon has brought plenty of talented players to Carbondale. We had two years in a row (2012-13) where we came up one win short of the playoffs.

In the end, I truly believe the Valley is much better today than it was during Kill's tenure. Lennon brings the same thing to the table every year but other schools have picked up the pace.

clenz
November 24th, 2014, 10:43 PM
If you're good with a coach that is 25-29 in d1 games with a roster of his guys as long as they beat uni then so be it.

Enjoy the bottom half i guess

ValleyTalk
November 25th, 2014, 06:41 AM
YSU head coach thread on the YSU boards:
http://ysupenguins.com/forum/index.php/topic,9880.0.html

Lehigh Football Nation
November 25th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Yeah, so I doubt it'll be Tressel, unless they want to go with that mess with the NCAA.

If they waived the Penn State sanctions, there's a 99% chance Emmert will get paid off/let this slide.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 25th, 2014, 09:02 AM
If they waived the Penn State sanctions, there's a 99% chance Emmert will get paid off/let this slide.

Why in the world would the university president want to coach the football team? This isn't 1926.

clenz
November 25th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Why in the world would the university president want to coach the football team? This isn't 1926.
Why do they have a president that isn't even close to qualified to be a president other than they fact Tressel can never do anything wrong in the eyes of YSU.

superman7515
November 25th, 2014, 09:09 AM

According to Gee, Tressel had more power as the football coach than the university president, so who knows.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 25th, 2014, 09:12 AM
According to Gee, Tressel had more power as the football coach than the university president, so who knows.

Gee's terrible sense of humor was what got him run out of Columbus.

YSU FAN#34
November 25th, 2014, 09:27 AM
[QUOTE=clenz;2186478]Why do they have a president that isn't even close to qualified to be a president other than they fact Tressel can never do anything wrong in the eyes of YSU.[/QUOTE

Ok i know, we all know, the whole cheater thing. I wouldnt expect you to understand just as i wouldnt understand if the situation was reversed. I guess the best way to explain it is like a mother loving and forgiving a child where the rest of the public wouldn't. I really doubt anyone here really, i mean really wants him to coach especially coach and remain president. Thats just ridiculous. But as far as president its just a hometown thing. Yes he is still respected in Youngstown and yes we all understand why many, many others do not.

With that said, at this point, it is what it is and those of us who live here can really only hope that he does good things for our university and community.

I dont know how to run a university but many have said he (or anyone else) could be effective as long as he has a worthy Provost. Time will tell.

Go Guins!!!

NoDak 4 Ever
November 25th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Ok i know, we all know, the whole cheater thing. I wouldnt expect you to understand just as i wouldnt understand if the situation was reversed. I guess the best way to explain it is like a mother loving and forgiving a child where the rest of the public wouldn't. I really doubt anyone here really, i mean really wants him to coach especially coach and remain president. Thats just ridiculous. But as far as president its just a hometown thing. Yes he is still respected in Youngstown and yes we all understand why many, many others do not.

With that said, at this point, it is what it is and those of us who live here can really only hope that he does good things for our university and community.

I dont know how to run a university but many have said he (or anyone else) could be effective as long as he has a worthy Provost. Time will tell.

Go Guins!!!

You do you, I guess.

If Rocky Hager were named President of NDSU, I would consider it an affront to my education. That may fly for a regional masters university but not a doctoral research university.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 25th, 2014, 09:49 AM

He's more qualified to be a football coach than a college president.

YSU FAN#34
November 25th, 2014, 09:53 AM
[QUOTE=YSU FAN#34;2186485]

You do you, I guess.

If Rocky Hager were named President of NDSU, I would consider it an affront to my education. That may fly for a regional masters university but not a doctoral research university.

Thanks. Thats all i can do anyway. Have a great thanksgiving!!!

clenz
November 25th, 2014, 10:38 AM
You do you, I guess.

Same at UNI

Our field is named after the late Stan Sheriff. Hawaii named their basketball arena after him. He IS the reason both were built (head FB coach at UNI and AD at Hawaii).

The man means more to UNI and Hawaii than can ever be known.

If he was named president of UNI at any point in his life it would have been a travesty.

Terry Allen (who is actually UNI's all time winning-est coach by %) is now free. If UNI were to ever name him (or Mark Farley) president I would hope the Iowa Board of Regents would look into stripping the university of accreditation - I mean that.

UNI is a "regional masters university"

penguinpower
November 25th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Why do they have a president that isn't even close to qualified to be a president other than they fact Tressel can never do anything wrong in the eyes of YSU.

State funding was drastically cut under Kasich. They brought Tressel in because the main job of many university presidents is to raise money and that is something that Tressel has track record of doing. He hired an outstanding provost that was in line to be the next president at YSU. They raised the admission requirements which dropped enrollment by 350-400 freshman students and now they are implementing a strategy to increase YSU's footprint and become a school of research. Big changes he is pushing through. At the end of the day it is about raising money (YSU just got a $450 million grant for the STEM college from Siemens) STEM is YSU's real strength and they are capitalizing on it. That is a pretty big deal at a school the size of Youngstown.

SIUSalukiFan
November 25th, 2014, 12:46 PM
If you're good with a coach that is 25-29 in d1 games with a roster of his guys as long as they beat uni then so be it.

Enjoy the bottom half i guess

I'm giving UNI credit. If SIU had enough talent to beat the Panthers in three of the past five meetings Lennon's recruiting ability probably isn't the problem.

DoubleE
November 29th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Gee's terrible sense of humor was what got him run out of Columbus.

He is doing a decent job now in morgantown

DoubleE
November 29th, 2014, 09:55 AM
I hope Brian Wright gets the job but im intrigued to see who they end up interviewing for the position

NoDak 4 Ever
November 29th, 2014, 10:49 AM
I hope Brian Wright gets the job but im intrigued to see who they end up interviewing for the position

How about Luke Fickell? He was way out of his depth at OSU but could really use the experience. Tressel knows him well enough.

DoubleE
November 29th, 2014, 12:53 PM
How about Luke Fickell? He was way out of his depth at OSU but could really use the experience. Tressel knows him well enough.

Dont see him taking a paycut from $600k a year to $250k a year

NoDak 4 Ever
November 29th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Dont see him taking a paycut from $600k a year to $250k a year

Right but if he's ever going to get into the seat again, he needs experience.

DoubleE
November 29th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Right but if he's ever going to get into the seat again, he needs experience.

And he could do so at many other schools for alot more $

ValleyTalk
November 29th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Please no Brian Wright or Mark Snyder.

DoubleE
November 29th, 2014, 10:25 PM
i agree on snyder but i have no issue with Wright

DoubleE
December 1st, 2014, 06:21 PM
bump

Franks Tanks
December 1st, 2014, 10:10 PM
Maurice Clarett

penguinpower
December 3rd, 2014, 05:55 AM
Football Scoop:

As expected, there has been quite a bit of interest from coaches in the head coaching position at Youngstown State. As more than a few guys have said to me, “That’s not a stepping stone job for a guy like me, that’s where I want to go, win and stay.”

I’ll be brief; because this one truly has another week or so to play out and things should become more clear as Ron Strollo, Jim Tressel and crew narrow the field.

To be clear, I don’t believe this to be an exhaustive list; but this is what I’ve heard through a number of sources, culled down to what I believe is real and truly has a shot. There certainly could be others and if those come to our attention we’ll update things on The Scoop.

So, a certain level of interviews have already begun and are ongoing; but I have heard that further, on campus / in person interviews are expected to occur next week. With that said, here is a list of guys that we’ve heard the YSU administration was interested in… (no particular order)

Don Treadwell
Brian Wright
Dave Warner
Mark Snyder
Vince Marrow
Trent Boykin
Rick Shepas
With the compensation package where it is, I don’t think guys like Luke Fickell are truly involved. I was asked tonight about Mike Sullivan’s involvement as well. Might be; but last I had heard he was looking for an NFL opportunity so truly don’t know. This isn’t the one for Mark Mangino

Not familiar with several on this list.

ValleyTalk
December 3rd, 2014, 11:24 AM
Additional updates from today:

@FootballScoop "Heard two additional very good coaches who I believe are involved w YSU too. Will update once confirmed/appropriate."

@JoeScalzo1 As @FootballScoop reported, Mike Sullivan is probably not realistic for YSU. But I'm hearing Mike Tressel is very much in discussion.

@JoeScalzo1 I know YSU likes Brian Wright but there's a little bit of a question of whether he has the personality to be a head coach. He's a good OC.

@JoeScalzo1 Couple other YSU possibilities: Purdue DB coach Taver Johnson (coached with Tress at OSU) and OSU RB coach Stan Drayton.

@JoeScalzo1 Bottom line with YSU: Nothing seems imminent. Still some secret candidates out there. Don't see them hiring anyone from D2/D3 ranks.

IBleedYellow
December 3rd, 2014, 11:26 AM
Reddit and Huskerboards are going crazy talking about Tressel leaving to work with Nebraska and Scott Frost.

ValleyTalk
December 3rd, 2014, 11:33 AM
Reddit and Huskerboards are going crazy talking about Tressel leaving to work with Nebraska and Scott Frost.
Not happening. My favorite were the rumors he was in Lincoln and Toledo at times the past few days, when he was clearly on the YSU campus and yesterday at a Youngstown area Barnes and Nobles.

FootballScoop out with this today:
@FootballScoop: Guys, re: Nebraska, it’s not going to be Tressel. Was something kicked around a while back; but that is not on the table.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 3rd, 2014, 11:38 AM
Dude, that would interfere with Tressel's mission to be president/coach of the MAC-bound Penguins.

ValleyTalk
December 3rd, 2014, 11:48 AM
@joescalzo1: It probably goes without saying, but, yes, you can rule out Bo Pelini, DJ Durkin, Larry Kehres, Pat Narduzzi from YSU coaching search.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2014, 11:57 AM
Hell, give Vince Kehres a shot. Seems like a chip off the old block. Let him hire his old man as an assistant like the Kiffins.

IBleedYellow
December 3rd, 2014, 12:01 PM
Mussman to Youngstown State confirmed.

penguinpower
December 3rd, 2014, 12:28 PM
YSU pays more than Montana.

ValleyTalk
December 4th, 2014, 06:27 AM
@VindySports: Most of the candidates for the YSU football job have a connection to Jim Tressel. @JoeScalzo1 updates the search.

http://t.co/yA1ADxYqd9

ysubigred
December 4th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Lou Holtz to Y-town.. Confirmed xcoolx

http://personalexcellence.co/quotes/files/inspirational-quote-boredom-lou-holtz.jpg

Lehigh Football Nation
December 4th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Travis J Morgan @TravMorgan9
(https://twitter.com/TravMorgan9)A source close to the program tells me #Huskers (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Huskers) will announce Jim Tressel as the new head coach on Saturday, with Frost as OC/Ass. HC. #GBR (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23GBR)

clenz
December 4th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Finally, a job he is qualified for

NoDak 4 Ever
December 4th, 2014, 11:22 AM
Travis J Morgan @TravMorgan9
(https://twitter.com/TravMorgan9)A source close to the program tells me #Huskers (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Huskers) will announce Jim Tressel as the new head coach on Saturday, with Frost as OC/Ass. HC. #GBR (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23GBR)

Travis J Morgan (https://twitter.com/TravMorgan9)

@TravMorgan9 (https://twitter.com/TravMorgan9)

Marketing Director at WinnaVegas Casino Resort. Former TV Sports Broadcaster. From Walthill, Nebraska (Population: 850)

Seems credible.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 4th, 2014, 11:26 AM
He has 2 years of Show/Cause left. He's facing a 5 game suspension and he can't coach a bowl game. This would be the dumbest move for both parties but I'm pretty sure it's bull****.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Lou Holtz to Y-town.. Confirmed xcoolx

At his age, Lou Holtz's biggest goal is actually getting up every morning.

UNIFanSince1983
December 4th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Mike Riley Oregon State new Nebraska coach.

Nebraska Huskers ‏@Huskers (https://twitter.com/Huskers) 10m10 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/Huskers/status/540557319315021824)
#Huskers (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Huskers?src=hash), help us welcome Coach Mike Riley to the Big Red family!#GBR (https://twitter.com/hashtag/GBR?src=hash)

ysubigred
December 4th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Ap# Craig Bohl has been announced as YSU's new head coach. He signed a 5 year deal to guide the penguins back to FCS prominence of the Tressel years.

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/N6lfZWwAWdA/maxresdefault.jpg

IBleedYellow
December 4th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Who the hell is Mike Riley? I had to Google it to see.

Nice Hire, Nebraska. We may still be able to get great players from your state.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 4th, 2014, 01:00 PM
What was your favorite Jim Tressel at Nebraska moment?

ndsubison
December 4th, 2014, 02:45 PM
Whoever YSU hires you know Tressell will have his thumbprint all over. The man knows fb and is obviously got connects so you can bet he knows exactly what he's looking for. Its a traditionally great FCS program with good resources, fertile recruiting ground, therefore (I would think) an attractive opening for the right guy who could re-awaken a sleeping FCS giant.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 4th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Whoever YSU hires you know Tressell will have his thumbprint all over. Its a traditionally great FCS program with good resources, fertile recruiting ground, therefore (I would think) an attractive opening for the right guy who could awaken a sleeping FCS giant.

I can't tell if this is real or sarcasm. I love it.

ndsubison
December 4th, 2014, 03:04 PM
It's real, bro. Much respect for Youngstown' s tradition. They're only a piece or two from being great again. They put it together, they could run the MAC.....

Daytripper
December 4th, 2014, 03:43 PM
It's real, bro. Much respect for Youngstown' s tradition. They're only a piece or two from being great again. They put it together, they could run the MAC.....

I hear you, bro. Just like Iowa State is just a coach, some recruits, a fan base, and an administration that cares about football away from running the Big 12...

clenz
December 4th, 2014, 04:01 PM
I hear you, bro. Just like Iowa State is just a coach, some recruits, a fan base, and an administration that cares about football away from running the Big 12...
Iowa State has the fan base.

Don't get that twisted.

They are likely one of the only 2 to 5 win (on a consistent) basis that averages a legit 45-50+k every single week.

Daytripper
December 4th, 2014, 04:02 PM

Don't get that twisted.

They are likely one of the only 2 to 5 win (on a consistent) basis that averages a legit 45-50+k every single week.

Correction noted. Respect to the suffering Cyclone faithful.

ndsubison
December 4th, 2014, 04:06 PM
Wtf does YSU have to do with the Cyclones? And, btw, how is a Sam Houston fan talking smack here? What has SHSU done to get recognized? Besides get schooled by NDSU on national television...twice.? . Guess the above 3 are in good company. Not tryin to smack but. ..C 'm on, ya gotta do better to convince me...looking for some reality. Peace. ..

NoDak 4 Ever
December 4th, 2014, 04:08 PM

Don't get that twisted.

I couldn't believe how many people were there. We went to the KU/SEMO game and the stadium was barely half full by comparison.

Daytripper
December 4th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Wtf does YSU have to do with the Cyclones? And, btw, how is a Sam Houston fan talking smack here? What has SHSU done to get recognized? Besides get schooled by NDSU on national television...twice.? . Guess the above 3 are in good company. Not tryin to smack but. ..C 'm on, ya gotta do better to convince me...looking for some reality. Peace. ..

Sorry. Please post the prerequisites that are required for each thread. Considering NDSU has "schooled" everybody the last three years, I guess nobody gets to play.

UNIFanSince1983
December 4th, 2014, 04:19 PM
Sorry. Please post the prerequisites that are required for each thread. Considering NDSU has "schooled" everybody the last three years, I guess nobody gets to play.

One team wasn't schooled by NDSU this year ;)

ndsubison
December 4th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Daytripper~ ~~could SHSU beat the' Clones, and I mean BEAT them down 34-14? Could the Bearkats beat defending Big XII Champions K State in their newly christened Bill Snyder Stadium? Could they destroy C Mich (who went on to win the MAC that yr) 44-14 ? Could they beat CO State 38-14? Could they beat the MN Gophs 2 outta 3 yrs? What are your P5/ G5 wins....I got time to wait for your answer...

Sycamore62
December 4th, 2014, 04:22 PM

Western?

ndsubison
December 4th, 2014, 04:38 PM
True. Even tho I consider UNI our new rival- -gotta give props to your team. UNI is always tough. In fact, I think you guys have more than a good chance at finally bringing it all home this yr. Smack aside, 'SU has a lot of respect for UNI's program. Don't doubt that. Best of luck against ISUr, though I dislike seein Valley teams knock each other in the playoffs. ..

ndsubison
December 4th, 2014, 05:12 PM
Lehigh can't play hard FB. What happened in Fgo last time? Stick to academics: it'll take you much further in life. After all, we're just a bunch of idiots on a fb forum...why so serious?

ysubigred
December 5th, 2014, 12:43 PM
#[email protected]

Just in; Nick Saban to Youngstown State University. Nick will assume the head football coach position at YSU because he wants to get back home to raise his lovely daughter in a safe and family environment known as Youngstown Ohio. Sabin states... Who needs money when you got all that love. Bama will miss him but they understand.

http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/saban.jpg

Grizzlies82
December 5th, 2014, 07:30 PM
#[email protected]

Just in; Nick Saban to Youngstown State University. Nick will assume the head football coach position at YSU because he wants to get back home to raise his lovely daughter in a safe and family environment known as Youngstown Ohio. Sabin states... Who needs money when you got all that love. Bama will miss him but they understand.

http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/saban.jpg

Wow! Montana can use this talent too (I'll let you decide which I'm referring to).

PantherRob82
December 5th, 2014, 08:44 PM
Daytripper~ ~~could SHSU beat the' Clones, and I mean BEAT them down 34-14? Could the Bearkats beat defending Big XII Champions K State in their newly christened Bill Snyder Stadium? Could they destroy C Mich (who went on to win the MAC that yr) 44-14 ? Could they beat CO State 38-14? Could they beat the MN Gophs 2 outta 3 yrs? What are your P5/ G5 wins....I got time to wait for your answer...

Could the Bison lose to a D-II school? :D

Lehigh'98
December 6th, 2014, 07:51 AM
Lehigh can't play hard FB. What happened in Fgo last time? Stick to academics: it'll take you much further in life. After all, we're just a bunch of idiots on a fb forum...why so serious?

Where'd that come from?

ValleyTalk
December 7th, 2014, 10:16 PM
@DanaBalash21: @21WFMJSports YSU Athletic Director Ron Strollo tells me "there's a chance" a new football coach could be named by the end of the week.

ValleyTalk
December 8th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Well then... things just escalated pretty quickly:

@FootballScoop Update on Youngstown State and Bo Pelini
http://footballscoop.com/news/update-youngstown-state-bo-pelini/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5UZQXePZvU

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Pellini sound clip on Youngstown rumor:

http://www.hark.com/clips/khpsrkkgqq-worse-than-scranton

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Funny, he replaced Craig Bohl as DC in Nebraska when Frank Solich fired him to save his job. He then took over for Solich when the axe finally fell.

Odd twists in life, aren't there?

ValleyTalk
December 8th, 2014, 07:05 PM
@JoeScalzo1 (https://twitter.com/JoeScalzo1)

The more I dig, the more interesting these Pelini rumors get. There's legit smoke here. I still say he says no, but I'm prepared to be wrong

DoubleE
December 8th, 2014, 07:51 PM
Funny, he replaced Craig Bohl as DC in Nebraska when Frank Solich fired him to save his job. He then took over for Solich when the axe finally fell.

Odd twists in life, aren't there?

Ummm..... He took over as head coach for callahan, not Solich

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2014, 08:02 PM
Ummm..... He took over as head coach for callahan, not Solich

He was interim until they hired Callahan then continued as DC

DoubleE
December 8th, 2014, 08:08 PM
He became DC and then interim head coach in 03 then Oklahoma DC in 04, LSU DC 05-07 then Nebraska head coach 08

1994–1996
1997–1999
2000–2002
2005–2007
2008–2014
Iowa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_Hawkeyes_football) (GA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduate_assistant))
Cardinal Mooney HS (OH) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinal_Mooney_High_School_(Youngstown,_Ohio)) (QB)
San Francisco 49ers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_49ers) (DB)
New England Patriots (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_Patriots) (LB)
Green Bay Packers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bay_Packers) (LB)
Nebraska (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska_Cornhuskers) (DC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensive_coordinator))
Nebraska (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football) (interim HC)
Oklahoma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_Sooners_football) (co-DC)
LSU (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LSU_Tigers_football) (DC)
Nebraska (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska_Cornhuskers)

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2014, 08:17 PM
He became DC and then interim head coach in 03 then Oklahoma DC in 04, LSU DC 05-07 then Nebraska head coach 08

1994–1996
1997–1999
2000–2002
2005–2007
2008–2014
Iowa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_Hawkeyes_football) (GA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduate_assistant))
Cardinal Mooney HS (OH) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinal_Mooney_High_School_(Youngstown,_Ohio)) (QB)
San Francisco 49ers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_49ers) (DB)
New England Patriots (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_Patriots) (LB)
Green Bay Packers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bay_Packers) (LB)
Nebraska (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska_Cornhuskers) (DC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensive_coordinator))
Nebraska (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football) (interim HC)
Oklahoma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_Sooners_football) (co-DC)
LSU (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LSU_Tigers_football) (DC)
Nebraska (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska_Cornhuskers)

I have the DC part incorrect but he took over for Solich before Callahan was hired, I know that much.

clenz
December 9th, 2014, 09:12 PM
What...the...****

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2014, 09:16 PM
So what's the deal? Is Pelini a legit candidate? I always keep YSU on the radar since I did live there once...

Hopefully they hire a quality coach and sign a home and home with Lehigh :D

superman7515
December 9th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Big hire for YSU.

underdawg
December 9th, 2014, 09:28 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Pelini