PDA

View Full Version : After all that whining by certain MVFC fans . . .

UNH Fanboi
November 23rd, 2014, 12:16 PM
can you admit that the Committee does not have a vendetta against the MVFC? - 5 teams selected - the first-ever at-large with 5 losses - 3 teams on one side of the bracket, 2 on the other - the top 2 MVFC teams on opposite sides of the bracket Yes, there are potentially some second round rematches, but that's a function of regionalization, which has been around for a long time and has affected other conferences several times in the past. Also, NDSU deserved the #1 seed, but I would trade brackets with them in a second.

centennial
November 23rd, 2014, 12:18 PM
I think that all the media noise made a real effect. Overall, I just want the best teams not the most politically correct ones. Don't care if they come from the MVFC, CAA or the Big Sky.

IBleedYellow
November 23rd, 2014, 12:19 PM
You won't hear an NDSU fan complain. We probably have the easiest road to the playoffs and all teams deserving of spots got them.

mmiller_34
November 23rd, 2014, 12:19 PM
It was because of our whining that 5 got in. They heard our collective whining...xpeacex

taper
November 23rd, 2014, 12:24 PM
I'm pretty happy with the bracket. I think Youngstown could beat some of the other at-larges, but so could plenty of other teams.

Bisonator
November 23rd, 2014, 12:50 PM
Time for the other MVFC teams to put up or shut up. Hopefully they do some damage and prove it's the best conference bar none!

ursus arctos horribilis
November 23rd, 2014, 01:14 PM
It was because of our whining that 5 got in. They heard our collective whining...xpeacex

Why would anyone acquiesce to whiners? It doesn't have **** to do with that and you are probably joking about that but there are some that will see this and carry it on as if is valid.

They don't get everything right every time. There has never been any sort of MVFC mistreatment that I have ever witnessed though. This year is no exception. MVFC got in what they deserved...some were bubble teams and thus in the "mediocre" category and have as good an argument for being in as any other mediocre team.

MVFC has NEVER been singled out as the league to box out of the playoffs. Just because some fans of that conference go on and on about it doesn't make it so.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 23rd, 2014, 01:15 PM
I'm pretty happy with the bracket. I think Youngstown could beat some of the other at-larges, but so could plenty of other teams.

Dead on. A lot of conferences could make this argument.

BisonFan02
November 23rd, 2014, 01:17 PM
Lehigh is still too high. #eastcoastbias #hashtagsonAGS #doya

dewey
November 23rd, 2014, 01:21 PM
You won't hear an NDSU fan complain. We probably have the easiest road to the playoffs and all teams deserving of spots got them.

I agree. I like having Illinois State and Northern Iowa on the other side of the bracket.

Dewey

semobison
November 23rd, 2014, 01:46 PM
Time for the other MVFC teams to put up or shut up. Hopefully they do some damage and prove it's the best conference bar none!

The best the Valley can do is get 3 to the quarters. You sound like our conference teams have under performed in the recent playoffs. Our last first round loss was in 2010 and since 2011 Valley playoff teams not named NDSU have had their seasons end either in Fargo or Cheney. By comparison, 3 BSC teams lost their first round game last year.

smilo
November 23rd, 2014, 02:29 PM

Easiest road to the championship, do you mean? Cuz if so, I couldn't disagree more. I think NDSU got killed with their quadrant. SDSU could prove to be a real threat IMO with Sumner back plus a threat like Zenner and their always solid D. Their match this year was Sumner's first game back, and it was 10-6 SDSU at the half and then SDSU took the lead in the 4th quarter before NDSU went on a tear. I would be pretty scared of SDSU at full strength since they already know you. I don't love Montana St this year but if they win and have Prukop vs. NDSU, watch out there.

In the 3rd round, Richmond is quite scary for an 8 win team and I'm not just saying that because Nova lost to them. Strauss is back and they looked pretty good vs. W&M. Very underrated D because there are very quality D's in W&M and UNH and Nova's Run D. They're no UNI, and perhaps the lack of a dominant running game is a big positive for NDSU, but that's nothing to take for granted. Even CCU has the talent though I don't know if they would pull it out as they have not performed as well as they should.

But SDSU and Richmond? I know it's always tough to win in Fargo, but those two could possibly pull it off.

UNH only has Indiana State to worry about seriously and they just lost to WIU. (Shut up Chatty)

Villanova's is sort of tough with JSU (though let's see them beat an SLC champ first) and perhaps a hot JMU, but I prefer that to two teams just getting QBs back in a groove.

UNI just beat ISU-r and EWU doesn't play D so I feel confident picking them.

I feel at least 65% sure in UNI or UNH getting to the semifinals.
Villanova and NDSU maybe 35%.

Vitojr130
November 23rd, 2014, 05:32 PM
Easiest road to the championship, do you mean? Cuz if so, I couldn't disagree more. I think NDSU got killed with their quadrant. SDSU could prove to be a real threat IMO with Sumner back plus a threat like Zenner and their always solid D. Their match this year was Sumner's first game back, and it was 10-6 SDSU at the half and then SDSU took the lead in the 4th quarter before NDSU went on a tear. I would be pretty scared of SDSU at full strength since they already know you. I don't love Montana St this year but if they win and have Prukop vs. NDSU, watch out there.

In the 3rd round, Richmond is quite scary for an 8 win team and I'm not just saying that because Nova lost to them. Strauss is back and they looked pretty good vs. W&M. Very underrated D because there are very quality D's in W&M and UNH and Nova's Run D. They're no UNI, and perhaps the lack of a dominant running game is a big positive for NDSU, but that's nothing to take for granted. Even CCU has the talent though I don't know if they would pull it out as they have not performed as well as they should.

But SDSU and Richmond? I know it's always tough to win in Fargo, but those two could possibly pull it off.

UNH only has Indiana State to worry about seriously and they just lost to WIU. (Shut up Chatty)

Villanova's is sort of tough with JSU (though let's see them beat an SLC champ first) and perhaps a hot JMU, but I prefer that to two teams just getting QBs back in a groove.

Of course any team can pull of a win against NDSU. The question isn't "could they?" but more so "will they?" After the thumping these players have put on SDSU the last 4 years, I strongly doubt they will be a severe threat.

CCU will be handled just like last time.

Richmond, I have a feeling, would be almost like a Furman type of a game.

I think NDSU has the easiest road to the semi's.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 23rd, 2014, 05:54 PM
Of course any team can pull of a win against NDSU. The question isn't "could they?" but more so "will they?" After the thumping these players have put on SDSU the last 4 years, I strongly doubt they will be a severe threat.

CCU will be handled just like last time.

Richmond, I have a feeling, would be almost like a Furman type of a game.

I think NDSU has the easiest road to the semi's.

I agree.

SDSU has no cakewalk with Montana State. If their QB is healthy, they will be a very tough game for the Jacks in Bozeman.

NDSU did what they needed to do. Win the Valley and get home field throughout the playoffs.

Good luck to any team coming into the FD and trying to win.

TILIS-BisonFan
November 23rd, 2014, 11:04 PM
of the top four teams I thought would give NDSU the hardest time they are all in the opposite side of the bracket. no game is guaranteed but when i first saw the top eight seeds and northern iowa on the other side I thought the road to Frisco got easier. I would love to see Montana State have to play in Fargo

FargoBison
November 23rd, 2014, 11:51 PM

SDSU is an interesting game, I don't think our offense really finished drives well that game. We ran the ball very well though, I think if SDSU is going to beat NDSU in Fargo they will need to score at least 28 points which is no easy task. They are playing great football though.

RabidRabbit
November 24th, 2014, 05:54 AM
Jacks only had two games WIU, USD, with their full contingency of all-conference offensive stars, Zenner, Wieneke, Schneider, and Sumner. Both Dakota States suffer but also ratchet up their game against each other.

Should the Jacks take down Montana St., it should be one of the most competitive games for NDSU in the FargoDome for the 2014 play-offs. Fargo has been a tough place for the Jacks to get a win, but it's a new season, and Jacks are about as healthy as they've been since the Mizzou game.

Mattymc727
November 24th, 2014, 06:47 AM
I like UNH's side of the bracket more than NDSU. I wanted to avoid Nova and JMU, and even Jax State. I like that a southern team has to come to NH in december too. UNH will have a really tough semi-final matchup if we even get there, but you have to beat the best in order to be the best.

Im all jacked up!

RabidRabbit
November 24th, 2014, 06:56 AM
And a big congrats to the pre-season pick of cellar (by a lot) Indiana St. to play so well OOC that a 4-4 conference record still ends up getting them into the play-offs. Likely one of the last 2 in, but in. Over 100 other FCS teams wish they could say that.

Houndawg
November 24th, 2014, 07:27 AM
And a big congrats to the pre-season pick of cellar (by a lot) Indiana St. to play so well OOC that a 4-4 conference record still ends up getting them into the play-offs. Likely one of the last 2 in, but in. Over 100 other FCS teams wish they could say that.

Everybody is pulling for the Trees, those guys have paid some dues. I predicted preseason that WIU would be the surprise team of the MVC this year and I was almost right.

I think UNI goes in with great momentum, I thought this was their year before the season started but they hit a rough stretch. Now they're back on track and are probably the best defense in the playoffs. If they can just wise up and make sure DJ gets 25-30 carries per game this could be the year; only thing that gives me pause is that UNI's offense struggled, to put it politely, with an SIU defense that had already quit on the season. Hadn't noticed before that DJ has only rushed for 100 yds against the Dawgs once in his career. X factor for UNI will be the o line

clenz
November 24th, 2014, 08:03 AM
Everybody is pulling for the Trees, those guys have paid some dues. I predicted preseason that WIU would be the surprise team of the MVC this year and I was almost right.

I think UNI goes in with great momentum, I thought this was their year before the season started but they hit a rough stretch. Now they're back on track and are probably the best defense in the playoffs. If they can just wise up and make sure DJ gets 25-30 carries per game this could be the year; only thing that gives me pause is that UNI's offense struggled, to put it politely, with an SIU defense that had already quit on the season. Hadn't noticed before that DJ has only rushed for 100 yds against the Dawgs once in his career. X factor for UNI will be the o line

UNI was up 21-0 at half, 33-7 after 3 and 40-7 20 seoncds into the 4th quarter....there was no need to ever try to put up a ton of yards. The full play clock was used on almost every play and quickly became a "keep the clock moving offense. SIU ran 94 plays...averaged 3.7 per play.

The offense will need to be better, obviously, but let's not make that something it isn't.

DJ ran for 93 yards on 4.9 YPC and Brion went 18-28 for 169 yards. At this point the coaches are smart and are not having Brion throw more than 13 yards down field more than a handful of times per game. Not going to put a ton of passing yards up throwing quick passes, but it is effective.

ysubigred
November 24th, 2014, 08:34 AM
can you admit that the Committee does not have a vendetta against the MVFC? - 5 teams selected - the first-ever at-large with 5 losses - 3 teams on one side of the bracket, 2 on the other - the top 2 MVFC teams on opposite sides of the bracket Yes, there are potentially some second round rematches, but that's a function of regionalization, which has been around for a long time and has affected other conferences several times in the past. Also, NDSU deserved the #1 seed, but I would trade brackets with them in a second.

Yup.. 5 is good. Still don't think the best 24 teams are playing for the NC. Until the auto bid goes away the conferences of the Blind center and Jerry's kids will still be there.

AmsterBison
November 24th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Jacks only had two games WIU, USD, with their full contingency of all-conference offensive stars, Zenner, Wieneke, Schneider, and Sumner. Both Dakota States suffer but also ratchet up their game against each other.

Should the Jacks take down Montana St., it should be one of the most competitive games for NDSU in the FargoDome for the 2014 play-offs. Fargo has been a tough place for the Jacks to get a win, but it's a new season, and Jacks are about as healthy as they've been since the Mizzou game.

Not to mention that NDSU lost a future Hall of Fame linebacker on Saturday.

ST_Lawson
November 24th, 2014, 10:02 AM

Nah, we're still a young team. Look for us next year.

clenz
November 24th, 2014, 10:24 AM
I was high on WIU to start the year and everytime I started to get too down I had to tell myself that it seems like everyone on WIU's roster were sophomores of juniors in their first year playing/with the program.

I really like Norvell but he NEEDS better protection. He was sacked 20 times last year, which isn't a real high number. but he also faced a lot of QB hurries and took a lot of QB hits according to the stats.

Find a way to give him time and his numbers will go from 28.7% 2900 yards 24 TD 11 Int to about 62% 3200 yards and about 30 TD 10 INT

The issue I see coming is JC Baker is gone and there is no returning back and Devon Moore, while good, is a pretty significant step back from Baker.

It also looks like WIU loses about 7 or 8 of their top 10 tacklers from this season

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Yup.. 5 is good. Still don't think the best 24 teams are playing for the NC. Until the auto bid goes away the conferences of the Blind center and Jerry's kids will still be there.

They are supposed to be there and it will never go away and it would be complete bull**** if it did. Win your conference or pray you were good enough. That's all there is to it. It has never been about the best 24. It's always been the auto's and then whoever is left and the best of them.

ysubigred
November 24th, 2014, 10:52 AM
They are supposed to be there and it will never go away and it would be complete bull**** if it did. Win your conference or pray you were good enough. That's all there is to it. It has never been about the best 24. It's always been the auto's and then whoever is left and the best of them.
WOW did you take your medicne today? xrolleyesx

If you think I'm saying because YSU was left out I'm not. Just saying the auto bid for a weak conference is not getting the best 24 teams. i'm sure there is some left out BSC that would buzz right throught these said teams. My xtwocentsx

Fear the Bird
November 24th, 2014, 10:55 AM

Although San Diego, Morgan St, etc. may not be one of the top 24 teams in the country, I think 24 is more a result of awarding these conferences a spot in the tournament. Take the other approach of identifying any teams that aren't playing football on Saturday that truly think they deserve a shot at the NC? There isn't anybody out there.

ysubigred
November 24th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Although San Diego, Morgan St, etc. may not be one of the top 24 teams in the country, I think 24 is more a result of awarding these conferences a spot in the tournament. Take the other approach of identifying any teams that aren't playing football on Saturday that truly think they deserve a shot at the NC? There isn't anybody out there.

Never thought of it that way... Maybe go back to the best 8 and do a bowl system for everybody else LOL!!

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2014, 11:08 AM

If you think I'm saying because YSU was left out I'm not. Just saying the auto bid for a weak conference is not getting the best 24 teams. i'm sure there is some left out BSC that would buzz right throught these said teams. My xtwocentsx

Fear put it correct. Get sick of all the talk about how this conference or that conference doesn't deserve this. If they win their conference then they do. A seat at the table. We ain't the BCS and all the talk about who they are and they didn't do this or play that sounds like the same crap that we've all heard the big boys say about Boise State for years.

That is not and never has been what NCAA tournaments have been about.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2014, 11:11 AM

BTW, I stated things fairly clearly without a bunch of emotion other than saying getting rid of the auto's would be BS. So why the over reaction to what I said?

bisonboone11
November 24th, 2014, 11:16 AM

The game was much closer than the final score indicated, but SDSU didn't take the lead in the 4th quarter against NDSU. NDSU took the lead with about 8 and a half left in the 3rd quarter and didn't lose the lead after that. SDSU got it to 17-20 in the 4th before NDSU went on a tear.

Also, if you're just looking at quadrants, UNH probably has the easiest road to the semis, but I think most NDSU fans are looking at the road to the national championship, rather than the road to the semis, and that is why I think most say they are happy with NDSU's side of the bracket. I would gladly take Coastal Carolina/Richmond and Jacksonville State or Villanova over UNI, Illinois State, or Eastern Washington.

clenz
November 24th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Listen,
I think it's crazy the PFL gets an auto while being a D3 conference BUT they are the conference champ and I don't have an issue with the conference champs getting in. My issue has always been AL births and how they've been given (not just MVFC teams either).

Bitch all you want about the PFL getting in, I have no issues with that - nor should anyone.

I would love for the IVY and SWAC to participate and believe they should get an auto (well they do, they just auto refuse it every year). I don't know how the brackets would be set up as it would be 28 teams...right?

Bisonator
November 24th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Listen,
I think it's crazy the PFL gets an auto while being a D3 conference BUT they are the conference champ and I don't have an issue with the conference champs getting in. My issue has always been AL births and how they've been given (not just MVFC teams either).

Bitch all you want about the PFL getting in, I have no issues with that - nor should anyone.

I would love for the IVY and SWAC to participate and believe they should get an auto (well they do, they just auto refuse it every year). I don't know how the brackets would be set up as it would be 28 teams...right?

No just replace 2 at larges with the autos. 24 teams, 13 autos and 11 at larges.

Sycamore62
November 24th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Listen,

almost every tournament has a provision where conference champs get an AQ. That way everyone at least knows 1 way to get in the playoffs.

Its too bad they cant play the SWAC championship at a time to get into the playoffs.

RabidRabbit
November 24th, 2014, 11:33 AM
ST_Lawson
Re: After all that whining by certain MVFC fans . . .

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Houndawg http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=2185691#post2185691)

Rabid thoughts: WIU, ISU(b) and YSU each need to carefully evaluate their OOC's, specifically, two FBS and 2 Pioneer/NEC teams, or a non-D-I. A home/home with OVC, Southland + Pioneer/Patriot/NEC & 1 FBS is best.

MVFC is a tough conference, and coming in with few weaknesses in resume bolster chances. SDSU had NO CHOICE this season on the D-III game. Quite simply, it was two weeks off in Sept or play the D-III game (couldn't get ANY FCS to take a payment to come to Brookings).

FargoBison
November 24th, 2014, 11:33 AM
No just replace 2 at larges with the autos. 24 teams, 13 autos and 11 at larges.

The playoff would have to expand if both joined or NCAA rules would need to be changed.

clenz
November 24th, 2014, 11:36 AM
The playoff would have to expand if both joined or NCAA rules would need to be changed.
If the SWAC and Ivy both joined it would mean 13 AQs. You need at least 13 ALs then.

That means 26 teams...likely means 28 or 32 team tourney

Sycamore62
November 24th, 2014, 11:44 AM
If the SWAC and Ivy both joined it would mean 13 AQs. You need at least 13 ALs then.

That means 26 teams...likely means 28 or 32 team tourney

2 years ago there were 20 teams

clenz
November 24th, 2014, 11:51 AM
2 years ago there were 20 teamsNo PFL bid...

10 AQ
10 AL

Playoffs expanded because PFL got a bid

11 AQ means at least 11 AL...22 team field doesn't work real well

Sycamore62
Rabid thoughts: WIU, ISU(b) and YSU each need to carefully evaluate their OOC's, specifically, two FBS and 2 Pioneer/NEC teams, or a non-D-I. A home/home with OVC, Southland + Pioneer/Patriot/NEC & 1 FBS is best.

MVFC is a tough conference, and coming in with few weaknesses in resume bolster chances. SDSU had NO CHOICE this season on the D-III game. Quite simply, it was two weeks off in Sept or play the D-III game (couldn't get ANY FCS to take a payment to come to Brookings).

part of it is getting them to play you too

clenz
Same thing as NCAA BBB tourney.

There HAS to be AT LEAST as many AL as AQ.

Sycamore62
November 24th, 2014, 11:53 AM
No PFL bid...

10 AQ
10 AL

Playoffs expanded because PFL got a bid

11 AQ means at least 11 AL...22 team field doesn't work real well

I know, im saying they could have added 4 spots and 1 extra at large.

they are going to do what the membership wants. and they all get a say in what happens.

give it 5 years, it will probably look totally different anyway

NoDak 4 Ever
November 24th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Who cares? The early rounds take care of the crap teams that got the AQ's (I don't care if you won your crap league, you're still a crap team).

At the end of the day, the power conferences are generally left. At 24, you're letting about 23% of the teams in. Everybody is happy and the real teams win.

clenz
November 24th, 2014, 11:59 AM
I know, im saying they could have added 4 spots and 1 extra at large.

they are going to do what the membership wants. and they all get a say in what happens.

give it 5 years, it will probably look totally different anyway
I don't follow what you're trying to say.

There are 13 conferences, that means there can be max 13 AQ

When they went from 20 to 24 it's because there was an AQ added, even addition would mean a 22 team field - that doesn't work. They went to the next reasonable bracket - 24.

To stay at 24 would be impossible if both the IVY and SWAC joined. That would be 13 AQs. a 26 team field doesn't work without a goofy bracket.

They couldn't go from 10 AQ to 14. There isn't 14 conferences and you can't add an AQ if the conference doesn't want it.

Bisonator
November 24th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Same thing as NCAA BBB tourney.

There HAS to be AT LEAST as many AL as AQ.

Why?

clenz
November 24th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Why?
It's the rule

Bisonator
November 24th, 2014, 12:15 PM
It's the rule

Got a link? I can't find it.

Why can't they change the rule?

Sycamore62
November 24th, 2014, 12:29 PM
I was unaware that was a rule. When it was 16. We're there only 8 AQ? I don't know the answer.

clenz
November 24th, 2014, 12:33 PM
I was unaware that was a rule. When it was 16. We're there only 8 AQ? I don't know the answer.
No Big South, no PFL, no NEC autos in the 16 team field....

The NEC and Big South got bids to move to 20, I believe.

clenz
November 24th, 2014, 12:35 PM
From a sheet I am working on...

As of 2014 the following conferences receive automatic bids:
-Big Sky Conference
-Big South Conference
-Colonial Athletic Association
-Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference
-Missouri Valley Football Conference
-Northeast Conference
-Ohio Valley Conference
-Patriot League
-Pioneer Football League
-Southern Conference
-Southland Conference
**The Ivy League and SWAC abstain from the playoffs.

There were no automatic bids for the playoffs through the 1985 season.
At that time the playoffs expanded to 16 and the following conferences received automatic bids:
-Big Sky Conference
-Gateway Conference (Renamed the MVFC in 2008)
-Ohio Valley Conference
-Southern Conference
-Southland Conference
-Southwestern Athletic Conference
-Yankee Conference (Became A10 and the CAA)

*The PFL was formed in 1991
*The NEC started sponsoring football in 1996
*The Big South started sponsoring football in 2002
*The Great West Conference existed from the 2004-2011
*The Patriot League received automatic bid in 1997.
*The SWAC dropped out after the 1997 playoffs.
*The Yankee Conference dissolved into the A10 in 1997
*The A10 passed power over football to the CAA in 2007.
*The NEC received and automatic bid in 2010.
*The Big South received an automatic bid in 2010.
*The PFL received an automatic bid in 2013.

clenz
November 24th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Auto's by "era"

16 team field circa 1985-1997
-Big Sky Conference
-Ohio Valley Conference
-Southern Conference
-Southland Conference
-Southwestern Athletic Conference
-Yankee Conference (Became A10 and the CAA)

16 Team Field Circa 1997-2009
-Big Sky Conference
-Ohio Valley Conference
-Patriot League
-Southern Conference
-Southland Conference
-Yankee Conference (Became A10 and the CAA

20 Team field Circa 2010-2012
-Big Sky Conference
-Big South Conference
-Northeast Conference
-Ohio Valley Conference
-Patriot League
-Southern Conference
-Southland Conference

24 team Field circa 2013-present
-Big Sky Conference
-Big South Conference
-Northeast Conference
-Ohio Valley Conference
-Patriot League
-Pioneer Football League
-Southern Conference
-Southland Conference

Always been an equal split between AQ and AL until the 24 team field at which point more AL than AQ were required to get a balanced bracket. Same thing would happen again if the Ivy and SWAC both wanted bids. If only 1 wanted a bid the 24 team field could say as it would be 12-12 split

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2014, 12:39 PM
clenzy has it right you need at least as many at larges as autos.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2014, 12:41 PM
I didn't know that wasan unknown when you guys were talking earlier so it explains why I was confused a bit reading the replies I guess. BTW there were only 8 at larges where we had a 16 team field.

ST_Lawson
November 24th, 2014, 12:43 PM
I was high on WIU to start the year and everytime I started to get too down I had to tell myself that it seems like everyone on WIU's roster were sophomores of juniors in their first year playing/with the program.

I really like Norvell but he NEEDS better protection. He was sacked 20 times last year, which isn't a real high number. but he also faced a lot of QB hurries and took a lot of QB hits according to the stats.

Find a way to give him time and his numbers will go from 28.7% 2900 yards 24 TD 11 Int to about 62% 3200 yards and about 30 TD 10 INT

The issue I see coming is JC Baker is gone and there is no returning back and Devon Moore, while good, is a pretty significant step back from Baker.

It also looks like WIU loses about 7 or 8 of their top 10 tacklers from this season

Yea, I pretty much agree with you on all points. We are losing a pretty solid chunk from our defense, although J.J. Raffleson will be back, as will the last of the three Holtschlag brothers and Kris Harley (all solid players). We also have some young guys who've just started to get playing time at the tail end of this season that look likely to be able to step up pretty well, like local (Macomb) kid, Brett Taylor who played in 6 games as a redshirt freshman and had 29 tackles (12 solo) and 1 forced fumble, for example.

We're losing JC Baker, but as you mentioned, we do have Devon Moore (who was a sophomore this year) and I've heard some really good things about Devon Sanders (R-Freshman...a little bigger than Baker, but a similar skill set).
Hi-C Scott is gone, but the "core" of our receiving team (Lance Lenoir and Joey Borsellino) were sophomores, as well as Quadarias Miereles who was a Junior this year.

Other than Baker and Scott, our entire 2-deep offense as of the end of this season will be coming back next year, with about half of them being redshirt freshmen this year.

Then there's Norvell...steadily improving...still has 2 years left (with essentially the same group of receivers)...at this point, on track to break nearly every Career QB record at Western.

I'm not saying we're going to run the table or anything, but with the extra experience, I could see a few more games going our way next year than they did this year and depending on the situation, getting an at-large spot in the playoffs.

Then again, I'm the eternal optimist.

Bisonator
November 24th, 2014, 12:44 PM
clenzy has it right you need at least as many at larges as autos.

Can someone post a link to the NCAA rules where this is stated? And if this is true why can't it be changed?

Cross country has 31 teams and 18 are autos with 13 at larges.

clenz
November 24th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Yea, I pretty much agree with you on all points. We are losing a pretty solid chunk from our defense, although J.J. Raffleson will be back, as will the last of the three Holtschlag brothers and Kris Harley (all solid players). We also have some young guys who've just started to get playing time at the tail end of this season that look likely to be able to step up pretty well, like local (Macomb) kid, Brett Taylor who played in 6 games as a redshirt freshman and had 29 tackles (12 solo) and 1 forced fumble, for example.

We're losing JC Baker, but as you mentioned, we do have Devon Moore (who was a sophomore this year) and I've heard some really good things about Devon Sanders (R-Freshman...a little bigger than Baker, but a similar skill set).
Hi-C Scott is gone, but the "core" of our receiving team (Lance Lenoir and Joey Borsellino) were sophomores, as well as Quadarias Miereles who was a Junior this year.

Other than Baker and Scott, our entire 2-deep offense as of the end of this season will be coming back next year, with about half of them being redshirt freshmen this year.

Then there's Norvell...steadily improving...still has 2 years left (with essentially the same group of receivers)...at this point, on track to break nearly every Career QB record at Western.

I'm not saying we're going to run the table or anything, but with the extra experience, I could see a few more games going our way next year than they did this year and depending on the situation, getting an at-large spot in the playoffs.

Then again, I'm the eternal optimist.
I'm not worried about your skill guys at all. They are extremely solid and probably top 3 or 4 in the league as a group.

The OL and defense worries me going forward - especially against MVFC DLs and RBs

ursus arctos horribilis
Can someone post a link to the NCAA rules where this is stated? And if this is true why can't it be changed?

I'm not gonna go look for it. I just know I've seen it in the past and heard it repeated so often in Selection show type settings that I just assumed it was common knowledge. I'm sure somebody will post it.

clenz

Different sports have different rules

Football and basketball it has to be equal

Like ursus said - it's there and I'm not going to find it for you

We aren't making this **** up

ST_Lawson
November 24th, 2014, 12:50 PM
part of it is getting them to play you too

This is true.

At this point, all I know about next year's OOC schedule is that we play at Illinois. If they're able to stick to the "pattern" of the last few seasons, minus the "bonus" second FBS game, we'll likely see a Pioneer League team or maybe a MEAC team for another game. We'd love to get an OVC on the schedule (really love to see a home and home with Eastern or SEMO, personally...relatively close...easy to travel to), but I don't really know at this point.

EDIT - I just remembered, we do have an OOC home-and-home series set up with Coastal Carolina. In Conway in 2015, back in Macomb in 2017. So if we can add a Pioneer team to that, I could see that being a pretty respectable OOC schedule...FBS/P5 Big 10 team, seeded FCS playoff team, non-scholarship FCS team.

EDIT (again) - And I just found out that we also have an OOC home-and-home series with Eastern Illinois. In Macomb in 2015, then over in Charleston in 2016. So, our non-conference schedule next year is two full-scholarship FCS teams from AQ conferences that have each made the playoffs within the last two years...and Illinois.

Bisonator
November 24th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Different sports have different rules

Football and basketball it has to be equal

Like ursus said - it's there and I'm not going to find it for you

We aren't making this **** up

I didn't say you were I would just like to see it myself. Not sure why that can't be changed. What difference would it make as long as you have an even number in the field.

ysubigred
November 24th, 2014, 01:25 PM
BTW, I stated things fairly clearly without a bunch of emotion other than saying getting rid of the auto's would be BS. So why the over reaction to what I said?

I was just poking the bear LOL!!

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2014, 01:28 PM
I was just poking the bear LOL!!

Don't do that, I'm hibernating.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2014, 01:39 PM
I didn't say you were I would just like to see it myself. Not sure why that can't be changed. What difference would it make as long as you have an even number in the field.

I don't know that it couldn't be changed but the way it is seems tospecifically ruin any crying about the autobids because the at larges are much more well repped BECAUSE of the expansion and addition of these few new autos.

That's the reason I have zero empathy for teams that don't make it...including my own team. We expanded the At larges by 5 spots, going from 8 to 13 and someone wants to gripe about their team not getting in....NOw? Give m a f'n break! I'm not referring to you in any way here Nator just using it as a place to insert my thinking on the at larges and why they may want it that way as far as a rule and such.

clenz
November 24th, 2014, 01:50 PM
I don't know that it couldn't be changed but the way it is seems tospecifically ruin any crying about the autobids because the at larges are much more well repped BECAUSE of the expansion and addition of these few new autos.

That's the reason I have zero empathy for teams that don't make it...including my own team. We expanded the At larges by 5 spots, going from 8 to 13 and someone wants to gripe about their team not getting in....NOw? Give m a f'n break! I'm not referring to you in any way here Nator just using it as a place to insert my thinking on the at larges and why they may want it that way as far as a rule and such.
I agree with this.

I know I did my fare share last year, but that wasn't about UNI per say - it was about what appeared to be double standard when it came to ruling out some teams but ignoring those same rules for others.

Bisonator
November 24th, 2014, 01:56 PM

I could see the reason for it back when it went to 16 and 8 autos. There simply isn't a reason for it IMO. Maybe it's been removed now? I honestly can't find it anywhere.

Anyway I wouldn't want to see the PO expanded anymore. 24 seems to be just right IMO. Your always going to have fans whining that got left out just like with 68 now in the BB tourney.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2014, 02:17 PM
I could see the reason for it back when it went to 16 and 8 autos. There simply isn't a reason for it IMO. Maybe it's been removed now? I honestly can't find it anywhere.

Anyway I wouldn't want to see the PO expanded anymore. 24 seems to be just right IMO. Your always going to have fans whining that got left out just like with 68 now in the BB tourney.

It may have been taken out of the rules but I doubt it. It was always a big part and in fact is what guided/directed the way the playoffs are now structured and why some people did not want the expansion.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2014, 02:21 PM
I agree with this.

I know I did my fare share last year, but that wasn't about UNI per say - it was about what appeared to be double standard when it came to ruling out some teams but ignoring those same rules for others.

Look, I think I see a problem here. You say "ignoring same rules for others" but it has always been my contention that ANY of the rules can be used once you get down to selecting the last couple of teams. Whichever team(s) have the best "mix" get the bid but anyone could be taken or left out...but at that point you got nothing, and I maan nothing to bitch about.

Any team getting in at that late stage is just pure ass lucky and shouldn't have been there anyway, just that some do get the chance...lottery winners if you will due to the auto bid expansion.

clenz
November 24th, 2014, 02:32 PM
Look, I think I see a problem here. You say "ignoring same rules for others" but it has always been my contention that ANY of the rules can be used once you get down to selecting the last couple of teams. Whichever team(s) have the best "mix" get the bid but anyone could be taken or left out...but at that point you got nothing, and I maan nothing to bitch about.

Any team getting in at that late stage is just pure ass lucky and shouldn't have been there anyway, just that some do get the chance...lottery winners if you will due to the auto bid expansion.
I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying.

What I'm saying is, regardless, if it's the last time in or not if you are going to set rules and say "this is what kept this team out" you can have a team with the exact same flaws and put them in without expecting some sort of reaction on it.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2014, 02:45 PM
I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying.

What I'm saying is, regardless, if it's the last time in or not if you are going to set rules and say "this is what kept this team out" you can have a team with the exact same flaws and put them in without expecting some sort of reaction on it.

Yes, we agree.

That is the lottery effect I am referring to. No reason to be in but somebody gets the charity/welfare if you will.

JayJ79
November 24th, 2014, 05:02 PM
This is from the 2013-14 NCAA Division I Manual Administrative Bylaws:

the sport committee must award, if a sufficient number of applications for automatic qualification exist, at least 50 percent of the championship field to conferences that meet automatic-qualification criteria and provide play-in criteria.
In sports other than men’s volleyball, men’s water polo and women’s water polo, the remaining 50 percent of the championship field shall be reserved for at-large teams.

Also, there is a minimum seeding requirement of 25% (which is why the odd 5th seed was added when it was a 20-team field):

JayJ79
November 24th, 2014, 05:06 PM
AQ bids are essential, even if some of the AQs are nowhere near the 24 (or whatever) "best" teams.
However, I would have no problem if they required a certain minimum amount of athletic scholarships in order to qualify for an AQ to a Division I championship tournament.

Bisonator
November 24th, 2014, 07:02 PM
This is from the 2013-14 NCAA Division I Manual Administrative Bylaws:
Actually the very first part of that says "excluding football and any team sport in which automatic qualifying is not offered" so that doesn't apply to the FCS playoff.

TILIS-BisonFan
November 24th, 2014, 07:40 PM

To me this is the beauty of the auto bid. similar to the NCAA bball tourney. Of course its not the best 68 but it make for some early round excitement.

JayJ79
November 24th, 2014, 07:54 PM
Actually the very first part of that says "excluding football and any team sport in which automatic qualifying is not offered" so that doesn't apply to the FCS playoff.

perhaps it is addressed elsewhere, I dunno. Or they just added the "excluding football" part once they cooked up the P5 playoff thingamajigger.

In any case, I think the 24 format works just fine. the 20-team bracket was just weird. And having 8 seeds is better than 5.