PDA

View Full Version : THE GAME on TV

bulldog10jw
November 12th, 2006, 06:22 PM
and I don't mean LU vs. LC ;)

Nov. 18, Noon

* HD NET (National Cable and Satellite)
* Superstation WGN (National Cable and Satellite)
* WLVI-TV (Boston)
* WPIX-TV (New York)
* WTIC-TV (Hartford)
* WCWN-TV (Albany)

Ivytalk, are you going?

hawkineer
November 12th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Dang, I was ready to post some smart a$$ remark.:D :D

griz37
November 12th, 2006, 07:52 PM
I thought he was talking about Michigan-Ohio St.

TexasTerror
November 12th, 2006, 07:54 PM

Michigan vs Ohio St? They have football these days? :rolleyes:

kirkblitz
November 12th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Who are you talking about? :(

griz37
November 12th, 2006, 08:02 PM

He is talking about Yale-Harvard.

ravens
November 12th, 2006, 08:02 PM

Appy vs. Idle ???

cosmo here
November 12th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Appy vs. Idle ???

I'm taking the Mountaineers and the over, Idle's defense stinks.

ravens
November 12th, 2006, 08:35 PM
I'm taking the Mountaineers and the over, Idle's defense stinks.
Ashamed to say I lost track of Idle this year. How did they end up doing?

UMass922
November 12th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Ashamed to say I lost track of Idle this year. How did they end up doing?

They haven't played anybody, but their coach and fans are still clammoring for a playoff bid.

Ivytalk
November 12th, 2006, 08:38 PM

Nov. 18, Noon

* WLVI-TV (Boston)
* WPIX-TV (New York)
* WTIC-TV (Hartford)
* WCWN-TV (Albany)

Ivytalk, are you going?

No, bulldog, this year I'll be watching it on WGN in my favorite sports bar with a "mixed" H-Y crowd!;)

Go...gate
November 12th, 2006, 08:44 PM
You mean you guys aren't talking about Colgate-Bucknell, Princeton-Dartmouth or Army-Notre Dame???? :confused:

GOKATS
November 12th, 2006, 08:49 PM
They haven't played anybody, but their coach and fans are still clammoring for a playoff bid.

I'd still take them over San Diego.:nod: :D

ravens
November 12th, 2006, 08:52 PM

No they play everybody !!! 100 games a year. From the top rated IAA schools to D3 and NAIA schools. It is impossible to figure their SOS.:D

ravens
November 12th, 2006, 08:53 PM
I'd still take them over San Diego.:nod: :D Aren't they playing San Diego this week ?

DFW HOYA
November 12th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Nov. 18, Noon

I understand that nothing changes with this game, but is there any interest in moving it off the noon start?

1:00? 2:00? A (gasp!) night game with temporary lighting?

bulldog10jw
November 12th, 2006, 09:10 PM
I understand that nothing changes with this game, but is there any interest in moving it off the noon start?

1:00? 2:00? A (gasp!) night game with temporary lighting?

It used to always be a 1:00 start and last year may have been 12:30. When it went 3 OT's last year it was obvious there would not have been much light left for a 4th with TV timeouts and all. That's why it is noon.

Why play a night game in New England in mid November?

KiddBrewer
November 13th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Aren't they playing San Diego this week ?

not sure, i think San Diego plays Idle Thanksgiving Saturday, dont they?

ravens
November 13th, 2006, 05:13 AM
I think Idle is playing another double header this week, against Appy and San Diego. We could then do a comparison to see who gives Idle the tougher game !!:hurray:

howvan
November 13th, 2006, 09:00 AM

Oh, USD.

Pard4Life
November 13th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Um, no.. THE Game will be on CSTV, RCN4, and Service Electrice in Western PA and nationally starting at 1pm.

Go Pards!

YoUDeeMan
November 13th, 2006, 09:21 AM

No, they are playing UC Davis that Saturday. :nod:

BlueHen86
November 13th, 2006, 09:33 AM
No, they are playing UC Davis that Saturday. :nod:
Yeah, they play "Idle" this weekend, which should help their strength of schedule.

Pard94
November 13th, 2006, 10:24 AM

Nov. 18, Noon

* WLVI-TV (Boston)
* WPIX-TV (New York)
* WTIC-TV (Hartford)
* WCWN-TV (Albany)

Ivytalk, are you going?

Then, my friend, you don't mean "The Game".:)

Husky Alum
November 13th, 2006, 10:44 AM

When did the words "University of San Diego" come into this debate? :hurray:

Yes, it's Yale-Harvard time.

Time for the annual "discussion" with my wife as to why I watch this game every year when I (a) loathe Harvard and (b) would never go to Yale - nothing personal Yalies, I just didn't want to go to college 5 minutes from home - when Don Brown (yes, THAT Don Brown) recruited me to play football there and I told him I had no interest in going to college 5 minutes from home he said "Son, it's Yale." To which I replied "Coach, if my grandparents (who lived in New Haven at the time) can pop in my dorm unannounced, it's not college".

Being from the New Haven area , there was nothing like the Yale-Harvard game. I went to most of the one in New Haven from about 1979-1987 - including the infamous "Freezer Bowl" in 1987, and crashing tailgates became an art after I turned 14-15 or so.

Pard4Life
November 13th, 2006, 10:49 AM

!!!!

San Diego is a disease... a virus... the cure is coming... the selection committee's pragmatisim..

bulldog10jw
November 13th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Being from the New Haven area , there was nothing like the Yale-Harvard game. I went to most of the one in New Haven from about 1979-1987 - including the infamous "Freezer Bowl" in 1987, and crashing tailgates became an art after I turned 14-15 or so.

I went to almost all, home and away, from 1967 when I was still in high school(first time I saw the Bowl completely sold out)until 1989 when I moved to AZ. I missed '68 for which no tickets could be had unless you were a very influential alum, and '74. At least the '68 game could be seen at the New Haven arena on closed circuit TV. The game was always on TV when I was a kid. I remember watching it when Yale won 57-0 in the late '50's and the 20-6 Yale win the week after the Kennedy assassination. There were a couple of Harvard wins mixed in that I've put out of my mind.

I always thought it was a bigger event in New Haven compared to Boston. More competition for sports entertainment up there.

BlueHen86
November 13th, 2006, 11:14 AM

Yes, it's Yale-Harvard time.

Time for the annual "discussion" with my wife as to why I watch this game every year when I (a) loathe Harvard and (b) would never go to Yale - nothing personal Yalies, I just didn't want to go to college 5 minutes from home - when Don Brown (yes, THAT Don Brown) recruited me to play football there and I told him I had no interest in going to college 5 minutes from home he said "Son, it's Yale." To which I replied "Coach, if my grandparents (who lived in New Haven at the time) can pop in my dorm unannounced, it's not college".

What street did you live on? I lived on Pendleton St. until I moved to Del. in 1980. I went to many Yale games in the 1970's. I still go back to visit and have been to three of the last four Yale-Harvard games at the bowl.

BlueHen86
November 13th, 2006, 11:18 AM
I went to almost all, home and away, from 1967 when I was still in high school(first time I saw the Bowl completely sold out)until 1989 when I moved to AZ. I missed '68 for which no tickets could be had unless you were a very influential alum, and '74. At least the '68 game could be seen at the New Haven arena on closed circuit TV. The game was always on TV when I was a kid. I remember watching it when Yale won 57-0 in the late '50's and the 20-6 Yale win the week after the Kennedy assassination. There were a couple of Harvard wins mixed in that I've put out of my mind.

I always thought it was a bigger event in New Haven compared to Boston. More competition for sports entertainment up there.

I've been to some sell outs - or darn close - back in the 70's, attendance doesn't come close anymore. :(

Husky Alum
November 13th, 2006, 11:23 AM
What street did you live on? I lived on Pendleton St. until I moved to Del. in 1980. I went to many Yale games in the 1970's. I still go back to visit and have been to three of the last four Yale-Harvard games at the bowl.

I grew up in Milford and had family in Westville within walking distance to the Bowl - I was an usher at the Bowl from like 1979-84 when I started my HS football career.

I'd love to go back to the Bowl to see a game - if NU ever played Yale I'd be in heaven, but I think the Pope will be Jewish before the Bulldogs and the Huskies played on the gridiron.

Hey Bulldog, if you've filed away some Harvard wins, where does the 29-29 "tie" fit in your filing system? Although my dad went to SCSU, he was an usher at the Bowl as a kid and is in the media in the area, he still treats Yale as his "team" and he refuses to acknowledge the result of the "tie".

bulldog10jw
November 13th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Hey Bulldog, if you've filed away some Harvard wins, where does the 29-29 "tie" fit in your filing system? Although my dad went to SCSU, he was an usher at the Bowl as a kid and is in the media in the area, he still treats Yale as his "team" and he refuses to acknowledge the result of the "tie".

It's hard to file. Everyone considered it a loss for Yale, especially Yale. But I always wonder what it would have been like if it had been a "real" loss, say 30-29 Harvard. In that case Yale would not even have had a piece of the Ivy title. The "tie" is what I think keeps it famous and allows Yale people to look back on the game w/o slitting their wrists.

Then there is the Harvard "ghosts" factor. The clock didn't start on the onside kick, the referee was a member of the Boston area gridiron club, Harvard fumbled and one of their lineman picked the ball up and ran for 20 yds and a first down on the drive before the onside kick.

It's almost like it wasn't a real game. More of a movie. Everything had to go right for Harvard and wrong for Yale those last few minutes. And it did. I think most Yale people consider the game an act of God. Completely out of Yale's control. I say, what would the score have been if Yale had not lost 6 fumbles. No act of God there.

After all that rambling, I file it as a loss because Yale had the better team.

bulldog10jw
November 14th, 2006, 09:22 PM
TV info from Yale's website:

http://yalebulldogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/111406aab.html

Charley Steiner (radio voice of the L.A. Dodgers), former Yale star QB Brian Dowling and ex-Crimson standout Vic Gatto call the action for TV on Boston's WLVI.

If I remember correctly Dowling and Dan Jiggetts were the color analysts the last few years. Interesting pairing of Dowling and Gatto who were the opposing captains in '68 for the most famous game of them all.

CopperCat
November 14th, 2006, 11:50 PM

If I had my way they'd both lose, right along with USC.