PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh Football Post Mortem

Neighbor2
November 23rd, 2014, 09:14 AM
Yesterday will forever rank as one of the lowest points in Lehigh's football legacy. As Southsider wrote in the earlier thread, the Lehigh football program is in disarray and will require significant changes if it hopes to return to FCS prominence. This DOES begin with cleaning out the 'adults in the room' and bringing in a fresh approach. Look, the players didn't do the recruiting over the past few years. They didn't select the assistant coaches. The players didn't design the offense and defensive schemes, nor place the right people in position to execute the plan. I agree with Southsider, the staff is failing, so start there.

Yesterday, Lehigh was totally dominated by what even the most loyal Lafayette supporters would consider to be one of their own below average teams. Can anyone here honestly say Lehigh looked prepared for that monumental game? That was shameful in every way. So, where should the rebuilding begin? I say, there's plenty of time now to build a completely new staff. I don't think Lehigh will ever take such a step, but without, this malaise will continue on. Andy can help speed things up by stepping down.

This problem goes beyond just the play on the field. The home stadium experience has grown stale. Crowds are down, as are vendors, etc. A new look and feel, from uniforms to scoreboard, to how the school treats its student body like children, needs an overhaul. There's no longer any 'there' there. Pump a little effort elsewhere, too, and don't get me started about PA announcers.

Let the usual excuses fly. Tiring as that is.

Franks Tanks
November 23rd, 2014, 09:32 AM
I think Lehigh should keep doing the same thing. Coen, Folmar, the D and your QB shouldn't change a thing.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 23rd, 2014, 09:58 AM
My recap of the game yesterday.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2014/11/lehigh-digs-two-touchdown-hole-in.html

Not sure it totally captures the anger and frustration I feel.

Pard4Life
November 23rd, 2014, 10:13 AM
Top 25 last year and 10 wins the year before? Right, the sky is falling. Football is in disarray.

Chill. You are not Lafayette. Sterret will fix the situation and you will win 7 next year while we win five again, somehow.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 23rd, 2014, 10:22 AM
Top 25 last year and 10 wins the year before? Right, the sky is falling. Football is in disarray.

Chill. You are not Lafayette. Sterrett will fix the situation and you will win 7 next year while we win five again, somehow.

Did you watch the game yesterday?

ColgateTD
November 23rd, 2014, 10:33 AM
Watched most of your game yesterday. While the Leopards clearly won the contest, I wouldn't jump ship entirely if I were a Lehigh fan. Certainly they have proven they can come right back and reel off another 10-1 record in a year or two and win the PL. (BTW, nice crowd in the stadium)

Franks Tanks
November 23rd, 2014, 10:34 AM

Chill. You are not Lafayette. Sterret will fix the situation and you will win 7 next year while we win five again, somehow.

Agree that Sterret and Lehigh will not allow a bad situation to continue for too long (like we would at Lafayette), but disagree that Lehigh will win 7 next year unless they have 3 scheduled against Columbia next year.

CHIP72
November 23rd, 2014, 11:16 AM
The Lehigh administration will not clean house, nor should they clean house IMO, after one bad season. That's not to say there aren't issues, but you don't take rash action based on one poor season.

If we follow the rationale above, Brett Reed should be fired as Lehigh basketball coach after the Mountain Hawks' mediocre season last year and poor start this year.

Lehigh'98
November 23rd, 2014, 11:41 AM
Going 39-9 over 4 yrs will buy you a bad season in the PL. That being said, if no changes are made for next year, expect the same results. There are too many things broken. Again, congrats Lafayette..

carney2
November 23rd, 2014, 12:21 PM
Rehashing from the Lafayette board:

Lehigh showed up "flat." You could see it in some pregame activities. It happens. But it should never happen in THIS game, in THIS year, and at THIS venue. It is way beyond unforgivable. That's on the coaches, the captains and the team leadership.

After Lehigh's freshman made that TD run my first thought was that the blind squirrel has found an acorn. I have never considered Shafnisky anything better than an average FCS quarterback, if that. He cannot throw downfield, and he didn't again yesterday. With the clock moving along and the Lafayette defense swarming the squirrel was going to have to find a few more acorns. It just wasn't going to happen.

Tavani kept running stretch left against the right side of the Lehigh defense. It was good for 6-8 yds. every time. I'm told that he was asked by the field reporter at halftime if he thought he might be over-using Scheuerman, he responded that when you have a big gun you keep pulling the trigger. The Lehigh defense was not up to the task, and hasn't been for two years now.

Lehigh has been the standard that the rest of the Patriot League measures itself against and have always bounced back. This time it appears to be more difficult. The defense is still a shambles, and if Shafnisky is still under center in 2015, those 7, 8, 10 wins that some are talking about will be hard to come by.

NY Crusader 2010
November 23rd, 2014, 12:29 PM
From someone who knows the ins and outs of the Patriot League, one thing you can always count on is that Lehigh will never stay down for long. I expect them to be a contender for the league title next year.

Pard4Life
November 23rd, 2014, 12:39 PM
This game is a make up for Lafayette's joke performance in 2011. Actually, more than a makeup given the venue and occasion.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you watch the game yesterday?

No, I mainly rolled on the ground clutching my stomach from laughing too hard.

DFW HOYA
November 23rd, 2014, 02:06 PM
It's a tough loss but the sky is not falling.

This is not a one-sided rivalry like Harvard-Yale or Army-Navy. The Engineers aren't going to win every year, and right now, Lafayette has the momentum in the series and deserved to win that game. And with a win like this, the Frankosaurus critics are resigned to the fact that Tavani will retire at College Hill and probably not for many more years to come.

There are teams with much more soul-searching going on than Lehigh right now. Ask Holy Cross.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 23rd, 2014, 02:33 PM
It's a tough loss but the sky is not falling.

This is not a one-sided rivalry like Harvard-Yale or Army-Navy. The Engineers aren't going to win every year, and right now, Lafayette has the momentum in the series and deserved to win that game. And with a win like this, the Frankosaurus critics are resigned to the fact that Tavani will retire at College Hill and probably not for many more years to come.

There are teams with much more soul-searching going on than Lehigh right now. Ask Holy Cross.

Picture Georgetown was playing against Holy Cross in RFK, something your AD and Holy Cross' AD spent half a decade putting together. Alumni plan for years to come to the event, and an entire weekend filled with activities are set up. The capitol sports purple and Hoya silver lighting up the buildings. Then the game comes around, and Georgetown loses 40-3.

Next year, and the following decade, RFK games don't come about anymore. Sure, Holy Cross plays Georgetown again, and they are still big games, regular season-ending games, but never in a huge stadium, and never in front of nearly 50,000 alumni of both schools.

If this were a normal Rivalry game, sure, take your beating and wait 'til next year. But 150 wasn't just any old Rivalry game. It was an opportunity, win or lose, to highlight the program in a great way. Even a close loss would have probably been OK. But the domination that Lafayette showed won't be able to be erased easily. Lehigh would have to win seven of the next ten to come close to making up for losing this in this fashion.

Southsider
November 23rd, 2014, 02:53 PM
The Lehigh administration will not clean house, nor should they clean house IMO, after one bad season. That's not to say there aren't issues, but you don't take rash action based on one poor season.

If we follow the rationale above, Brett Reed should be fired as Lehigh basketball coach after the Mountain Hawks' mediocre season last year and poor start this year.

This mess goes back to last year. Don't let the 8-3 record fool you. It was a mirage. The defense was truly horrible, and the Pard's exposed it last year as well. And, as much as Tavani has frustrated LC's followers, he has taken Coen to school lately.

Franks Tanks
November 23rd, 2014, 03:07 PM
Picture Georgetown was playing against Holy Cross in RFK, something your AD and Holy Cross' AD spent half a decade putting together. Alumni plan for years to come to the event, and an entire weekend filled with activities are set up. The capitol sports purple and Hoya silver lighting up the buildings. Then the game comes around, and Georgetown loses 40-3.

Next year, and the following decade, RFK games don't come about anymore. Sure, Holy Cross plays Georgetown again, and they are still big games, regular season-ending games, but never in a huge stadium, and never in front of nearly 50,000 alumni of both schools.

If this were a normal Rivalry game, sure, take your beating and wait 'til next year. But 150 wasn't just any old Rivalry game. It was an opportunity, win or lose, to highlight the program in a great way. Even a close loss would have probably been OK. But the domination that Lafayette showed won't be able to be erased easily. Lehigh would have to win seven of the next ten to come close to making up for losing this in this fashion.

To add insult to injury you were also on national TV wearing uniforms with brown pinstripes. I think someone cracked a joke that the Pards would wear pinstripes, but we have a least a bit of taste. Nothing says Lehigh can't give up a home game and schedule another "special" neutral site game in a few years. Get on it!

Engineer86
November 23rd, 2014, 03:33 PM
This mess goes back to last year. Don't let the 8-3 record fool you. It was a mirage. The defense was truly horrible, and the Pard's exposed it last year as well. And, as much as Tavani has frustrated LC's followers, he has taken Coen to school lately.

I agree. LU has been slipping for several years. I would even throw in the 10-1 team from two years ago that the committee saw through and did not invite to the playoffs.

Pard4Life
November 23rd, 2014, 03:37 PM

So, maybe I wasn't "seeing what I wanted to see" all along...

SingForever
November 23rd, 2014, 03:56 PM
Fire the entire defensive staff and start over. Our offense should be fine. A lot of talented players going forward. Not only that, recruit and give scholarships to defensive players only! AND WE WILL BE BACK.

Pard4Life
November 23rd, 2014, 04:36 PM
Ok, good idea. Because your offense looked spectacular yesterday too. 63 yards or so in the first half?

the last indian
November 23rd, 2014, 05:49 PM
Hey, let give some credit to the Hoyas for knocking off Holy Cross. Nice way for them the wrap up th season. Similarly to my Raiders who manhandled a very good Bison team. Colgate got its QB back and after a shaky 1st half scored 21 points in the 3rd Qtr. Our defense was dominate. True BU was hobbled with injuries yet it was on their home court. BU will be good next year and I certainly hope the Red Raiders will improve.

NY Crusader 2010
November 23rd, 2014, 06:01 PM
Next year to me seems to be wide open in the PL. I see Bucknell as the favorite as surely they can't end up with as bad an injury situation if they tried. Fordham will be rebuilding. I see Lehigh back in the mix next year and expect Colgate to improve in their second year post-Biddle. I don't think anyone knows what to expect from Holy Cross or Lafayette. And pencil Georgetown in for the basement again until they prove otherwise against anyone other than the Crusaders.

Pard4Life
November 23rd, 2014, 06:15 PM
So, you are giving more credit to Lehigh being a contender than LC, after Lehigh was completely dominated and was embarrassing more than once this year?

Engineer86
November 23rd, 2014, 06:26 PM
So, you are giving more credit to Lehigh being a contender than LC, after Lehigh was completely dominated and was embarrassing more than once this year?

We were only embarrassed once this year!!! ... It just happen to last all year long!xrotatehxxconfusedx:(

Franks Tanks
November 23rd, 2014, 06:36 PM

I'm sure Lehigh will be picked 2nd again in the pre-season poll. Must be some sort of inside joke.

Gate83
November 23rd, 2014, 07:22 PM
I think that come August Lafayette will be kicking off to start the 2nd half vs. UNH...

Lehigh'98
November 23rd, 2014, 07:31 PM

I won't have Lehigh anywhere near even .500. Losing Cecchini and Ryan hurt on the offensive side. I'm pretty sure we are screwed until we get a legit OC in there. Coen hasn't coached O since he became HC and the game has passed him by. Defense can only be fixed by recruiting bigger and faster players. Bott was a great DC in the late 90's, but it's a different game now as well, we did not adjust at all all year. I don't think this is a one year fix, in fact things may get worse before they get better. I hope I'm wrong, but this year played out almost as I expected, only worse. Also, that 150 game was special, a once in a lifetime deal. To show up like we did was inexcusable.

Pard4Life
November 23rd, 2014, 07:52 PM
I'm sure Lehigh will be picked 2nd again in the pre-season poll. Must be some sort of inside joke.

I think we are in on it now.

Pard4Life
November 23rd, 2014, 07:56 PM
I won't have Lehigh anywhere near even .500. Losing Cecchini and Ryan hurt on the offensive side. I'm pretty sure we are screwed until we get a legit OC in there. Coen hasn't coached O since he became HC and the game has passed him by. Defense can only be fixed by recruiting bigger and faster players. Bott was a great DC in the late 90's, but it's a different game now as well, we did not adjust at all all year. I don't think this is a one year fix, in fact things may get worse before they get better. I hope I'm wrong, but this year played out almost as I expected, only worse. Also, that 150 game was special, a once in a lifetime deal. To show up like we did was inexcusable.

Switch the name of the coaches and get rid of the last sentence and you sound like us.

I am disappointed that Lehigh did not make it a real game. I am elated that we won and everything about the event was a tremendous success, but I wanted the game to be more exciting, at least from a fan perspective. But I'll take the beat down any day.

carney2
November 23rd, 2014, 10:01 PM
Remember, it's Lehigh and the talent is there but the coaches just keep screwing the pooch. I keep hearing that. It's pure crap, but I keep hearing it.

ngineer
November 23rd, 2014, 11:55 PM
Back from NYC and my take. First, congrats to the 'pards. They truly deserved that win by showing up ready to play. We did not and that is on the coaches. I made the comment before the game that our guys did not seem 'juiced', and I think a number of people choked in the bright lights. Foremost, both OC and DC were asleep at the switch. Hell, everyone in the stadium knew what Lafayette was going to do. Frank even said it earlier in the week. Yet, we made no adjustments at all in the first half. The left side of our DL was continually collapsed. We had no contain, and that was a problem ALL Freakin' year! LC had to use Zwiezig-- pocket passer and we blitzed very little. Second half showed some adjustments were made, but damage was done. Then we get to the OC. Again, everyone knew what was coming. Why were we so 'vanilla'? No creativity. In the fourth quarter, when we drove to the LC 20 yard line when just ran the ball, when we needed to pressure LC's defense with the threat of run and pass. A TD at that point and the game all of a sudden became winnable with a wild finish. Where was our tight end this year??! Coyle was wasted this year.

I disagree that Coen has to go, but it is clear that he has to make some changes. A repeat of this year, and he will be gone. I am not sold on Folmar. I don't see the creativity we had with Cecchini. Maybe he doesn't feel comfortable due to Shanisky's limited 'deep ball' ability. Perhaps, next year with Timchenko possibly taking the controls that changes. But some soul searching needs to be made on what our offensive philosophy will be. We DO have some great weapons returning, and the OL should be improved. The return of Short to center cannot be ignored. His loss in the Yale game had a tremendous impact on the line calls, but more importantly, the snaps the rest of the season were all over the place. A young QB with a lot to think about does not need to be worried about where the ball is going to be each play. It effected the handoff situation with the RB next to the QB and the timing. So why not put QB under center? It definitely cost us the game in Holy Cross. But with Leigh, Yosha, Pelletier, Kelsey all returning and an improved line, there SHOULD be a fertile field for growing points.

Lehigh isn't Lafayette when it comes to coaching personnel. We also aren't in the SEC where people would be on the ledge after a season like this. Winning is important, but it's not the only thing in the Patriot League. Moreover, we don't pay what would be necessary to bring someone in with significant experience at the FCS level. Coen had to bring in almost a half dozen new assistants this year, and most on defense. Hard from our perspective as to whether their coaching ability was lacking and/or whether that will improve after a year under their belts in moving up from DIII schools.

One final observation. What also bothered me all season was the lack of discipline that cost the team a number of key opportunities by committing really stupid personal foul penalties. They weren't 'nasty' or 'malicious' type, but the 'after the whistle shoving' and/or jawing that gave opponents first downs on plays where Lehigh would have taken over. Several of those 'second chances' resulted in opponents TDs and losses (JMU, Monmouth and Yale come to mind).

Didn't mean for this to turn into a 'blog' but not having been around a computer over the weekend and participate in the 'give and take' during and post-game this is my 'make up time'. Other than the "besides that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?" it was a tremendous weekend. The wrestling team was superb at the NYAC drilling a good Columbia team, 34-3, followed by the Brown & White party at Terminal 5 with 1200 alums and Earth, Wind & Fire, a great tailgate at the MVP Lounge behind home plate, and then a fine post game dinner with another 70 players from the 1970-75 era at Giovanni's, ending up at the Bear & Bull Bar at the Waldorf into the wee hours. It was a tremendous weekend for both schools. I just wish we hadn't embarrassed ourselves like we did. Some hard decisions need to me made by year end.

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2014, 05:51 AM
Back from NYC and my take. First, congrats to the 'pards. They truly deserved that win by showing up ready to play. We did not and that is on the coaches. I made the comment before the game that our guys did not seem 'juiced', and I think a number of people choked in the bright lights. Foremost, both OC and DC were asleep at the switch. Hell, everyone in the stadium knew what Lafayette was going to do. Frank even said it earlier in the week. Yet, we made no adjustments at all in the first half. The left side of our DL was continually collapsed. We had no contain, and that was a problem ALL Freakin' year! LC had to use Zwiezig-- pocket passer and we blitzed very little. Second half showed some adjustments were made, but damage was done. Then we get to the OC. Again, everyone knew what was coming. Why were we so 'vanilla'? No creativity. In the fourth quarter, when we drove to the LC 20 yard line when just ran the ball, when we needed to pressure LC's defense with the threat of run and pass. A TD at that point and the game all of a sudden became winnable with a wild finish. Where was our tight end this year??! Coyle was wasted this year.

I disagree that Coen has to go, but it is clear that he has to make some changes. A repeat of this year, and he will be gone. I am not sold on Folmar. I don't see the creativity we had with Cecchini. Maybe he doesn't feel comfortable due to Shanisky's limited 'deep ball' ability. Perhaps, next year with Timchenko possibly taking the controls that changes. But some soul searching needs to be made on what our offensive philosophy will be. We DO have some great weapons returning, and the OL should be improved. The return of Short to center cannot be ignored. His loss in the Yale game had a tremendous impact on the line calls, but more importantly, the snaps the rest of the season were all over the place. A young QB with a lot to think about does not need to be worried about where the ball is going to be each play. It effected the handoff situation with the RB next to the QB and the timing. So why not put QB under center? It definitely cost us the game in Holy Cross. But with Leigh, Yosha, Pelletier, Kelsey all returning and an improved line, there SHOULD be a fertile field for growing points.

Lehigh isn't Lafayette when it comes to coaching personnel. We also aren't in the SEC where people would be on the ledge after a season like this. Winning is important, but it's not the only thing in the Patriot League. Moreover, we don't pay what would be necessary to bring someone in with significant experience at the FCS level. Coen had to bring in almost a half dozen new assistants this year, and most on defense. Hard from our perspective as to whether their coaching ability was lacking and/or whether that will improve after a year under their belts in moving up from DIII schools.

One final observation. What also bothered me all season was the lack of discipline that cost the team a number of key opportunities by committing really stupid personal foul penalties. They weren't 'nasty' or 'malicious' type, but the 'after the whistle shoving' and/or jawing that gave opponents first downs on plays where Lehigh would have taken over. Several of those 'second chances' resulted in opponents TDs and losses (JMU, Monmouth and Yale come to mind).

Didn't mean for this to turn into a 'blog' but not having been around a computer over the weekend and participate in the 'give and take' during and post-game this is my 'make up time'. Other than the "besides that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?" it was a tremendous weekend. The wrestling team was superb at the NYAC drilling a good Columbia team, 34-3, followed by the Brown & White party at Terminal 5 with 1200 alums and Earth, Wind & Fire, a great tailgate at the MVP Lounge behind home plate, and then a fine post game dinner with another 70 players from the 1970-75 era at Giovanni's, ending up at the Bear & Bull Bar at the Waldorf into the wee hours. It was a tremendous weekend for both schools. I just wish we hadn't embarrassed ourselves like we did. Some hard decisions need to me made by year end.

Good analysis except you meant the right side of your Dline was collapsed by the left side of Lafayette's O. I was so impressed I actually looked up the two guys names in the $10 program. At least this program was worth the $10 - instead of the $5 crap that passes for a typical LC program. Almost missed getting it as I'm used to the folks hawking them before the game and then luckily saw a booth selling it but the guy was quiet sitting behind it.

Southsider
November 24th, 2014, 06:23 AM
So, maybe I wasn't "seeing what I wanted to see" all along...

C'mon P4L, that comment was related to you boasting that "everyone" was picking LU a few weeks back against Fordham, when it was like 1 person. Anyway, Congrats on the huge win, you deserve to crow.....but no tauntingxpeacex

Southsider
November 24th, 2014, 06:32 AM

Coen's quote in todays Morning Call says he doesn't want to go through changing coaches again. BS! I'd go after guys who want my job!!

citdog
November 24th, 2014, 07:10 AM

can sum your diatribe up in two words. lehigh sucks

PAllen
November 24th, 2014, 10:22 AM
I'm not calling for Coen's head, but something does need to change and I don't know what else will help. The defense was even more of a joke this year than years past. It wasn't all about skill, the effort, technique and play calling on D just haven't been there. That points to the coaches, but do we really want to clean house on the defensive side of the ball yet again? Coen doesn't and has said so. Now on the offensive side of the ball, sure we've had some injuries, but the play calling has been pathetic. Did the new OC even bother to learn the existing playbook? It sure looks like he threw the Hank Small offense in the trash and wants to stick solely with his D-III playbook. That play calling will not get it done at this level. So, should we can the offensive staff too? Once you've canned the entire staff on both O and D, what's left? Over the last three years, the D has gone from bad, to worse, to terrible. The O has gone from really good, to good, to bad. This was a transition year in many ways for the program and we've got some really good talent coming back. For those reasons, I could see giving the staff another year or two to work things out. That said, let's not let that transition be one headed into 10+ years of poor play.

Lehigh'98
November 24th, 2014, 10:34 AM

Have no choice but to agree with you here Citdog. Anytime you finish with less wins than The Citadel, you truly stink.

carney2
November 24th, 2014, 10:48 AM
You truly have to admire the self centered arrogance of this entire thread. Lehigh is probably the only FCS program anywhere that feels justified in taking their pity party on to a national forum instead of keeping it in house. As if anyone cares.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 24th, 2014, 10:50 AM
You truly have to admire the self centered arrogance of this entire thread. Lehigh is probably the only FCS program anywhere that feels justified in taking their pity party on to a national forum instead of keeping it in house. As if anyone cares.

And yet you are weighing in...

Franks Tanks
November 24th, 2014, 11:00 AM
I'm not calling for Coen's head, but something does need to change and I don't know what else will help. The defense was even more of a joke this year than years past. It wasn't all about skill, the effort, technique and play calling on D just haven't been there. That points to the coaches, but do we really want to clean house on the defensive side of the ball yet again? Coen doesn't and has said so. Now on the offensive side of the ball, sure we've had some injuries, but the play calling has been pathetic. Did the new OC even bother to learn the existing playbook? It sure looks like he threw the Hank Small offense in the trash and wants to stick solely with his D-III playbook. That play calling will not get it done at this level. So, should we can the offensive staff too? Once you've canned the entire staff on both O and D, what's left? Over the last three years, the D has gone from bad, to worse, to terrible. The O has gone from really good, to good, to bad. This was a transition year in many ways for the program and we've got some really good talent coming back. For those reasons, I could see giving the staff another year or two to work things out. That said, let's not let that transition be one headed into 10+ years of poor play.

OC's typically do no learn the system of the school they go to, but rather bring their own system with them. It is sort of why an OC is hired on many ocassions. The OC may certainly tweak, adjust etc to fit what their boss wants, but usually the system comes with the OC.

Expecting an OC to come in and learn a system already in place may be why LU has whiffed on OC's not named Chechinni in the Coen era.

carney2
November 24th, 2014, 11:03 AM
And yet you are weighing in...

No, I'm piling on. With joy. Thank you, Undiestains, for a fantastic offseason.

Pard4Life
November 24th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Even now... Lehigh is still ranked too high... :p

ngineer
November 24th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Good analysis except you meant the right side of your Dline was collapsed by the left side of Lafayette's O. I was so impressed I actually looked up the two guys names in the $10 program. At least this program was worth the $10 - instead of the $5 crap that passes for a typical LC program. Almost missed getting it as I'm used to the folks hawking them before the game and then luckily saw a booth selling it but the guy was quiet sitting behind it.

Yes, you are "right" as to the "left". The program is one of the best I've ever seen, anywhere. And I thought the schools "PSA's" on the Jumbotron were good and clever.

- - - Updated - - -

We did on November 22.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 24th, 2014, 12:00 PM
The only problem with the program is that it will inadvertently invoke memories of the actual game.

ngineer
November 24th, 2014, 12:02 PM

I think a new DC is needed. The failure to make adjustments in the first quarter when it was so obvious what LC was doing is very disconcerting.

carney2
November 24th, 2014, 12:58 PM
I think a new DC is needed. The failure to make adjustments in the first quarter when it was so obvious what LC was doing is very disconcerting.

Perhaps. But, paraphrasing Vince Lombardi: It doesn't matter if the other guy knows what you're going to do if you do it well. Add to that the FACT that the Squawks just don't have the horses on defense and you get a perfect storm.

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Yes, you are "right" as to the "left". The program is one of the best I've ever seen, anywhere. And I thought the schools "PSA's" on the Jumbotron were good and clever.

- - - Updated - - -

We did on November 22.

Indeed.. We should have had an AGS gathering Friday evening! Today marks the 50th anniversary of the classic 1964 100th Lafayette-Lehigh game, a 6-6 tie. The program had an excellent article on that game which I will read tonight smoking a nice cigar on my back porch!! Its mild here today - 70 degrees!

PAllen
November 24th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Perhaps. But, paraphrasing Vince Lombardi: It doesn't matter if the other guy knows what you're going to do if you do it well. Add to that the FACT that the Squawks just don't have the horses on defense and you get a perfect storm.

Yes, but everybody watching that game knew that 29 was going to get the ball and we still couldn't keep him under 6 yds.

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2014, 02:14 PM
Yes, but everybody watching that game knew that 29 was going to get the ball and we still couldn't keep him under 6 yds.

Its OK, he's a beast!!!

PAllen
November 24th, 2014, 02:23 PM

I don't necessarily disagree, my problem is that we've already done that a couple of times. While I know that the current DC isn't working, getting a new DC every year isn't a good idea either. That's where things start to point toward Coen.

ngineer
November 24th, 2014, 04:16 PM
I don't necessarily disagree, my problem is that we've already done that a couple of times. While I know that the current DC isn't working, getting a new DC every year isn't a good idea either. That's where things start to point toward Coen.

But Bott was already on the staff as the LB coach at the time. I think a new set of fresh eyes is needed. Bring back Gilmore as the DC. It's his forte since it appears HC may not. He was National Assistant Coach of they Year when with us 12 years ago. Either that or go after a lateral from another good FCS program.

ngineer
November 24th, 2014, 04:19 PM

No question we have an undersized DL front, all the more reason that Bott knowing he was getting "Counter 29" all day had to take chances on move up the safety. Our LBs have decent speed, and we should have been trying to put more pressure. When out gunned, you need to take some chances and mix it up. We were "vanilla" all day on both sides of the ball.

PAllen
November 24th, 2014, 04:37 PM
My thoughts at this point are to let Coen try to right the ship for another two years. If he fails, see if Dave C is interested as coming back as HC/OC. Possible added bonus is that if Holy Cross is done with Gilmore, we could offer to have him back as DC and Assoc. HC (to sweeten the deal).

Southsider
November 24th, 2014, 05:26 PM
I, for one, don't want to see recycled Lehigh coaches. Since it is likely Coen stays, and "if" there are to be changes made to the staff, let's go after some new blood. However, I won't hold my breath. The more I relive Saturday, I think I could have put Easton H.S.'s D out there and been more effective.

Neighbor2
November 24th, 2014, 07:04 PM
To me, the presentation by Lehigh at Yankee Stadium indicates the coaching staff this season was a major failure. Highlighted on the grandest stage the game was ever played over 150 games, set in the world's most influential media market, to show so unmotivated, bland and inept ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL is simply not acceptable.

I highly doubt a few tweaks with the staff will be adequate. Only a SIGNIFICANT change in staff will do. BOTH offensive and defensive coordinators need to be fired. Their replacements will likely bring in additional change to the assistants. As reported, Coen doesn't want to replace any coaches. If that's his true opinion, I say he shows yet another reason to call for his own stepping down from the top spot. Who knows, maybe Andy will work out better as Offensive Coordinator? Could present a problem attracting a new Head Coach, however.

How do our 'insiders' here expect Sterrett to view all of this? Surely, his ears have been ringing.

Engineer86
November 24th, 2014, 07:06 PM

I can beat that with a one word summation. Troll

heath
November 24th, 2014, 07:45 PM
I had a great trip and "the event" was awesome. Meet many I hadn't seen in months,even got to meet up with my son. Went to the Dugout prior to the game and the atmosphere was electric. Got into the game(watching warm ups) and one team looked business like and one team(the one in pin stripe) looked happy just to be invited. Great crowd-never thought 48,000 would show. Both teams are weak,one just sucks pretty bad. It was impressive to watch RS and the show he put on on senior day,but........we all knew he was going to get 30+ touches. ...And Lehigh still couldn't stop him. Nice win.

carney2
November 24th, 2014, 08:20 PM
I feel like I'm talking to a wall, but one more time you Lehigh folks:

I'm sure the coaching could be improved, but in this case you just didn't have the horses on the defensive side of the ball. That "talent" that you always assume just wasn't there. And, for the first time in five years the Lafayette offensive line had fire in their eyes and resolve in their guts. Scheuerman had help, lots of help. Your DC could have "brought" 25 guys from the second and third decks and it wouldn't have made any difference. Wait, I take that back. Scheuerman might have been held to 275. But the score still would have been the same.

Pard4Life
November 24th, 2014, 09:06 PM
Coen even said it in an article... the depth wasn't there.

We had injuries all year too, but I have not really heard Tavani cite depth too often... instead, 'inexperience.'

Lehigh'98
November 24th, 2014, 09:10 PM
I feel like I'm talking to a wall, but one more time you Lehigh folks:

I'm sure the coaching could be improved, but in this case you just didn't have the horses on the defensive side of the ball. That "talent" that you always assume just wasn't there. And, for the first time in five years the Lafayette offensive line had fire in their eyes and resolve in their guts. Scheuerman had help, lots of help. Your DC could have "brought" 25 guys from the second and third decks and it wouldn't have made any difference. Wait, I take that back. Scheuerman might have been held to 275. But the score still would have been the same.

Actually I'm fairly certain Coen could have went into the stands and pulled out 11 Alumni players that would have given a helluva better game than that. Lots of guys Bott coached his last stint as DC.

Your ur point is valid though Carney, there isn't much talent to be found on Lehigh on both sides of the ball.

citdog
November 24th, 2014, 09:28 PM

so y'all don't suck? could have fooled me! all that preseason talk of the 'gauntlet' of a schedule was and is hilarious.....

HoyaMetanoia
November 24th, 2014, 11:11 PM

These things aren't mutually exclusive.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 25th, 2014, 12:15 AM
This Lehigh team did have talent. They, according to most observers, had one of the top OT in FCS in Daryoush. When healthy the OL was legitimately good. They also had good individual players in Caslow (who was the best player for Lehigh on Saturday), Newton, Ripanti, Laub, Pelletier and in many ways Shaf.

What this team did not have, imo, was great leadership and swagger from the start of the season. The Lafayette fans like to poke fun at the "taunters" but I like when LU plays with that cocky swagger. They were chirping against UNH last year and that emotion led them to victory. In years past the LU players would be trash talking from the start. That didn't occur on Saturday or in any game this year. Hopefully, there's some better leaders that emerge for next year. IMO, Parrish and Daryoush were not rah-rah guys.

I don't think the future is bleak but the things need to be turned around. The DL will be much bigger and the a lot of OL gained experience this year. The improvement in trenches, especially on defense will make an immediate difference. In fact, I think the front 7 has the chance to pretty good. It would not shock me if Caslow received some preseason pub. The secondary is the problem imo.

On offense an identity has to be formed. Pelletier will be a better #1 than Parrish and Leigh, imo, is an upgrade over Sodeke and Rich had a good year. If Folmar can find a way to use Yosha's quickness there's a solid collection of skill guys. Personally, like to see Yosha used more at WR. I think it would allow him to work in space and perhaps keep from getting banged up.

Cecchini made it work with a run first QB in Colvin. Colvin's decision making was subpar but he had a cannon of an arm and two legit deep threats in Spadola and Kurfis to keep opposing defenses honest. If Shaf wants to remain the QB I do agree he needs to get stronger. BUT, he also needs better production from his wr's and a more seasoned Folmar at OC. I mentioned this last week, I can't think of a SINGLE PI penalty a LU WR drew this year.

I honestly believe Folmar and the offense will be better next year. It wasn't really bad this year except for Saturday. At worst it was average to slightly above average imo through the first 10 games. Defensively, the added size will help and the LB's are legitimately very good. BUT, the secondary is still a major concern. I can see the defense being much better against the run but still below average against the pass.

This year sucked but LU wasn't the only program in the PL to be in the dumps. Colgate, who has also enjoyed tremendous success the last 15 years, just concluded their second straight ugly season. Both programs experienced major coaching changes. There's no reason to jump off the cliff in Bethlehem or Hamilton yet. With that said, next year are critical seasons for both programs. And remember, Georgetown has more winning records this decade than Lafayette....xlolx

Southsider
November 25th, 2014, 06:30 AM
Owl. you are forever the optimist. This team has problems, and it starts at the top. W/O major changes expect more of the same.

carney2
November 25th, 2014, 09:08 AM
This Lehigh team did have talent.

The worst team anywhere has "talent." The faithful point to Smith as all league and Jones as a promising freshman. Unfortunately, football is a numbers game and you need to have "talent" up and down the roster to win. Lehigh didn't. Lehigh doesn't. An unnamed "informed source" on the Lafayette board states that the Squawks have serious issues in this area, and it will be a while before the mythical bird flies high again. I'm in no position to pass judgment, but watching this team in the 15 or so games since Bialkowski went down tends to make me a believer.

You get an A+ however in your evaluation of the Patriot League in 2014. Next season should be wide open.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 25th, 2014, 09:46 AM
This in no way excuses the season, but the season did take a major turn after Yale's players injured Yosha, our starting center, and our 5th year guard. Of all the injuries the injury to Short was by far the worst - we had snapping issues the rest of the year, and it definitely affected the offense negatively.

But depth played a huge part for all PL teams, especially in this scholarship "transition year". Bucknell might be practicing on Thanksgiving had they had more scholarship depth across the board, and even then they were running with their No. 2 QB. Colgate struggled mightily when their No. 1 QB went down. Lafayette was down to their No. 3 QB.

Not an excuse. Lehigh needs to find a way to win games with injuries. But the Yale game did have some devastating ones. I feel like the staff was counting in Yosha to be a "franchise player" all season, and even when he came back he wasn't the same player.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 25th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Owl. you are forever the optimist. This team has problems, and it starts at the top. W/O major changes expect more of the same.

But what program in the PL does not have problems?

Colgate is under a new staff and just concluded back-2-back losing seasons for the first time in 20 seasons, '94/'95.

Lafayette just finished up their 5th straight losing season and is losing their best player. Despite the outcome on Saturday Tavani's job should still be questioned. How man schools that care about football allow a coach to survive 5 losing seasons and a sub. 500 career record? You really think they'll be much of anything next year? There's a culture at Lafayette that accepts losing.....

Holy Cross just concluded their 3rd straight losing season and has now lost to Georgetown 3 out of 4 years. Their fans want Gilmore fired

Fordham graduates everyone

Georgetown is well Georgetown...

Bucknell is the only program that, imo, has positive mojo heading into next year and that's after a bitter ending to the year....

Southsider
November 25th, 2014, 11:21 AM

Colgate is under a new staff and just concluded back-2-back losing seasons for the first time in 20 seasons, '94/'95.

Lafayette just finished up their 5th straight losing season and is losing their best player. Despite the outcome on Saturday Tavani's job should still be questioned. How man schools that care about football allow a coach to survive 5 losing seasons and a sub. 500 career record? You really think they'll be much of anything next year? There's a culture at Lafayette that accepts losing.....

Holy Cross just concluded their 4th straight losing season and has now lost to Georgetown 3 out of 4 years. Their fans want Gilmore fired

Bucknell is the only program that, imo, has positive mojo heading into next year and that's after a bitter ending to the year....

What I saw on Saturday was a Pard team that wanted to win! So, yes, I believe they can have success with the returning roster. A win like they had on Saturday can be a great springboard.

ngineer
November 25th, 2014, 11:22 AM
This Lehigh team did have talent. They, according to most observers, had one of the top OT in FCS in Daryoush. When healthy the OL was legitimately good. They also had good individual players in Caslow (who was the best player for Lehigh on Saturday), Newton, Ripanti, Laub, Pelletier and in many ways Shaf.

What this team did not have, imo, was great leadership and swagger from the start of the season. The Lafayette fans like to poke fun at the "taunters" but I like when LU plays with that cocky swagger. They were chirping against UNH last year and that emotion led them to victory. In years past the LU players would be trash talking from the start. That didn't occur on Saturday or in any game this year. Hopefully, there's some better leaders that emerge for next year. IMO, Parrish and Daryoush were not rah-rah guys.

I don't think the future is bleak but the things need to be turned around. The DL will be much bigger and the a lot of OL gained experience this year. The improvement in trenches, especially on defense will make an immediate difference. In fact, I think the front 7 has the chance to pretty good. It would not shock me if Caslow received some preseason pub. The secondary is the problem imo.

On offense an identity has to be formed. Pelletier will be a better #1 than Parrish and Leigh, imo, is an upgrade over Sodeke and Rich had a good year. If Folmar can find a way to use Yosha's quickness there's a solid collection of skill guys. Personally, like to see Yosha used more at WR. I think it would allow him to work in space and perhaps keep from getting banged up.

Cecchini made it work with a run first QB in Colvin. Colvin's decision making was subpar but he had a cannon of an arm and two legit deep threats in Spadola and Kurfis to keep opposing defenses honest. If Shaf wants to remain the QB I do agree he needs to get stronger. BUT, he also needs better production from his wr's and a more seasoned Folmar at OC. I mentioned this last week, I can't think of a SINGLE PI penalty a LU WR drew this year.

I honestly believe Folmar and the offense will be better next year. It wasn't really bad this year except for Saturday. At worst it was average to slightly above average imo through the first 10 games. Defensively, the added size will help and the LB's are legitimately very good. BUT, the secondary is still a major concern. I can see the defense being much better against the run but still below average against the pass.

This year sucked but LU wasn't the only program in the PL to be in the dumps. Colgate, who has also enjoyed tremendous success the last 15 years, just concluded their second straight ugly season. Both programs experienced major coaching changes. There's no reason to jump off the cliff in Bethlehem or Hamilton yet. With that said, next year are critical seasons for both programs. And remember, Georgetown has more winning records this decade than Lafayette....xlolx

While I agree with a lot of your post, I do not agree that taunting and trash-talking equates with leadership. Taunting and trash-talking did occur this year and hurt us big time with some uncalled for personal fouls or unsportsmanlike conduct. Leadership is set by example, not screaming and yelling. Yes, a verbal kick in the ass is needed from time to time, but it loses its effectiveness when done all the time. Players need to be personally challenged by their peers to do better and do more. That is leadership.

Lehigh'98
November 25th, 2014, 11:23 AM

Holy Cross just concluded their 3rd straight losing season and has now lost to Georgetown 3 out of 4 years. Their fans want Gilmore fired

while this is all true, it doesn't make Lehigh's issues anymore acceptable. There are standards that Lehigh has become used to and a winning culture that is expected to be upheld.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 25th, 2014, 11:23 AM
What I saw on Saturday was a Pard team that wanted to win! So, yes, I believe they can have success with the returning roster. A win like they had on Saturday can be a great springboard.

But they did nothing to build off of last years momentum this season. At least last year they won the league title following a 20+ point win over Lehigh and a 5-6 record.

ngineer
November 25th, 2014, 11:25 AM
The worst team anywhere has "talent." The faithful point to Smith as all league and Jones as a promising freshman. Unfortunately, football is a numbers game and you need to have "talent" up and down the roster to win. Lehigh didn't. Lehigh doesn't. An unnamed "informed source" on the Lafayette board states that the Squawks have serious issues in this area, and it will be a while before the mythical bird flies high again. I'm in no position to pass judgment, but watching this team in the 15 or so games since Bialkowski went down tends to make me a believer.

You get an A+ however in your evaluation of the Patriot League in 2014. Next season should be wide open.

I think the depth of talent you reference will be a big problem for all PL schools now that we are going to scholarships. Fred Dunlap observed last year that he thought everyone would be paying 'too high a price' to get better talent, but having lesser numbers...not only for depth, but also to have better practices. It may take a few years before this transition to the scholarship class is experienced.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 25th, 2014, 11:27 AM
While I agree with a lot of your post, I do not agree that taunting and trash-talking equates with leadership. Taunting and trash-talking did occur this year and hurt us big time with some uncalled for personal fouls or unsportsmanlike conduct. Leadership is set by example, not screaming and yelling. Yes, a verbal kick in the ass is needed from time to time, but it loses its effectiveness when done all the time. Players need to be personally challenged by their peers to do better and do more. That is leadership.

There's smart cockiness and dumb cockiness. Those teams from 2010-2012/'13 had the right amount. I want a team that has the balls to dance on the 50 yard line at the Fargo Dome, Johnny Unitas Field, The Tub, Fisher Field, Andy Kerr etc. and chant "they don't want it". That 2011 was really good and played like it.....

Franks Tanks
November 25th, 2014, 12:14 PM
But they did nothing to build off of last years momentum this season. At least last year they won the league title following a 20+ point win over Lehigh and a 5-6 record.

Lafayette underachieved this season, no doubt. Drew Reed was hurt for much of the year, and even when healthy he did not look comfortable in the offense. He recieved too much pressure from an OL that did not play anywhere near as well as they should have, and our young recieving crew struggled for most of the year. Mzarek began to step up late in the year, and will be a star going forward.

The Lafayete D will be stout next year. Several injured DL will be back to full strength next year, and we will most likley return 2 all league DB's (Roberts should take a 5th year), and the Frosh Parnham is an all league talent at CB as well. We will need the D to lead the team as we continue to search for an OL, and figure out who in additional to Mzarek will be our playmakers next year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 25th, 2014, 03:59 PM
while this is all true, it doesn't make Lehigh's issues anymore acceptable. There are standards that Lehigh has become used to and a winning culture that is expected to be upheld.

I completely agree with this. But, sometimes you have a bad year. Look at Wofford and Furman this season. Those are two traditionally strong programs that are similar academically to Lehigh. Furman really underachieved and Wofford simply didn't step up and regressed form 2013. I think it's harder at a school like Lehigh, Lafayette, Colgate, Wofford, Richmond, Villanova, etc to avoid down years. Hell, Temple/Dunply posted their first 20 loss season in school history on the heels of 7 straight tournament appearances....

Talley, who I respect like heck and dislike just as much, backed up his 2010 semifinalist team with a 2-9 record. That team in 2011 was dreadful. I don't know what type of coaching hits he took but he had to of. He definitely lost a tremendous amount in leadership in Whitney and Szczur.

What stinks about this year is the final game and its importance. That's obviously a horrific lasting impression. BUT, that game had more to do with want and preparation than physical ability. Every objective outside observer had the game as a toss-up. I want to know how many people would have put $20 on Lafayette -10 on Friday, let a lone -19.....

The biggest issue on offense was Poutier taking all the reps in the spring. Folmar had fall camp and that's it to devise a plan with very few returning skill guys. I don't think that can be understated enough. I understand, to a point, the emphasis on the run game to control TOP and protect the ball. Spring ball will be HUGE this year......

ngineer
November 25th, 2014, 04:32 PM
I completely agree with this. But, sometimes you have a bad year. Look at Wofford and Furman this season. Those are two traditionally strong programs that are similar academically to Lehigh. Furman really underachieved and Wofford simply didn't step up and regressed form 2013. I think it's harder at a school like Lehigh, Lafayette, Colgate, Wofford, Richmond, Villanova, etc to avoid down years. Hell, Temple/Dunply posted their first 20 loss season in school history on the heels of 7 straight tournament appearances....

Talley, who I respect like heck and dislike just as much, backed up his 2010 semifinalist team with a 2-9 record. That team in 2011 was dreadful. I don't know what type of coaching hits he took but he had to of. He definitely lost a tremendous amount in leadership in Whitney and Szczur.

What stinks about this year is the final game and its importance. That's obviously a horrific lasting impression. BUT, that game had more to do with want and preparation than physical ability. Every objective outside observer had the game as a toss-up. I want to know how many people would have put $20 on Lafayette -10 on Friday, let a lone -19.....

The biggest issue on offense was Poutier taking all the reps in the spring. Folmar had fall camp and that's it to devise a plan with very few returning skill guys. I don't think that can be understated enough. I understand, to a point, the emphasis on the run game to control TOP and protect the ball. Spring ball will be HUGE this year......

Interesting point. I forgot about how Spring Ball was not much more than walk throughs due to the injuries, which didn't help Folmar. Still, he may need to take a course with Cecchini in the off-season and learn how to use the weapons he now sees. I think the Spring Game should be huge as we get to see if Timchenko has what it takes. He certainly has the arm, but can he read defenses, know the play book nuances based on what he sees, and is accurate? Can Shafnisky improve his arm strength so defenses respect the threat of a deep a ball? Running game should be solid. Of course, the "Cluster D" will be another matter. I really think a change is needed to bring a new mentality to that side of the ball.

Engineer86
November 25th, 2014, 07:01 PM
so y'all don't suck? could have fooled me! all that preseason talk of the 'gauntlet' of a schedule was and is hilarious.....

What would you call starting the season with #13 and #2? Taking a Trolley ride? Who said we didn't suck. I just called you what you are a troll.

carney2
November 25th, 2014, 07:07 PM

Harsh, but spot on (no pun intended). IF Reed returns from wherever he's been; and IF the receivers step it up a notch; and IF Brown, Mayfield and the freshman from Arizona who was injured all year create a running game; and IF some sophomores and freshmen can play in the DL; and IF an OL can be created for the first time in 6 years; and IF the incoming freshman kicker from the Lehigh Valley is the real deal; and... Well, you get the idea. The Pards begin 2015 with 3 guaranteed losses (W&M, Delaware and Princeton). They would then have to win 6 of the remaining 8 just to squeak out a Bill Russo "winning season."

Franks Tanks
November 25th, 2014, 08:22 PM
Harsh, but spot on (no pun intended). IF Reed returns from wherever he's been; and IF the receivers step it up a notch; and IF Brown, Mayfield and the freshman from Arizona who was injured all year create a running game; and IF some sophomores and freshmen can play in the DL; and IF an OL can be created for the first time in 6 years; and IF the incoming freshman kicker from the Lehigh Valley is the real deal; and... Well, you get the idea. The Pards begin 2015 with 3 guaranteed losses (W&M, Delaware and Princeton). They would then have to win 6 of the remaining 8 just to squeak out a Bill Russo "winning season."

Don't encourage the troll!

Oh we are losing our best player. Well many college teams lose their best player in a given year, and still somehow manage to field a team the subsequent year. Lehigh is losing their best player this year as well!

I will agree that Frank and Lafayette has underachieved the last few years. If we had an OL that was at least average the last couple years you are looking at 2-3 more wins each year. Even in the current situation we finished 3-3 in the league. We got blown out by Fordham like everyone else. We took Bucknell to overtime on the road (Bucknell destroyed Lehigh), and had a "WTF" game against Holy Cross. Holy Cross came out against us with a very good game plan and executed well, but that is not a game we should've lost (sorry Sader). Even with all that we kicked your ass 2 years in a row. Everyone on the Lehigh side wants to blame schemes, when it is really your sub par players. The Lehigh DL is full of slow 250 pounders with no moves. I can block those guys. Your big bad LB with his stupid jersey rolled up is a gigantic stiff who is usually diving at guys as they run past him. You made our average OL look like the 95 Nebraska Cornhuskers, but we're the ones with issues. I'm shocked you guys won 3 games this year, especially Colgate.

For next year the Lafayette D has a chance to be very good. The DL will be getting 2 very good injured players back (3 counting Labudev who wasn't near 100% this year). Our DB's will be excellent with Roberts, Smalley, Parnham, Black (we think) and James returning. Roberts and Smalley are 1st team all league, and the freshman Parnham is probably more talented that those two. Backers will be solid. Brendan Bryant will be one of the best players in the league in a year or two. We will need to get better on offense, but we still have Drew Reed and some young talent. I am excited about next year. We may not win the league, but we will be in the mix. You guys will be complaining about the coaches and saying you need to play the freshman. You will also be saying that you though Yosha was going to be better. xlolx

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 25th, 2014, 09:12 PM

Oh we are losing our best player. Well many college teams lose their best player in a given year, and still somehow manage to field a team the subsequent year. Lehigh is losing their best player this year as well!

I will agree that Frank and Lafayette has underachieved the last few years. If we had an OL that was at least average the last couple years you are looking at 2-3 more wins each year. Even in the current situation we finished 3-3 in the league. We got blown out by Fordham like everyone else. We took Bucknell to overtime on the road (Bucknell destroyed Lehigh), and had a "WTF" game against Holy Cross. Holy Cross came out against us with a very good game plan and executed well, but that is not a game we should've lost (sorry Sader). Even with all that we kicked your ass 2 years in a row. Everyone on the Lehigh side wants to blame schemes, when it is really your sub par players. The Lehigh DL is full of slow 250 pounders with no moves. I can block those guys. Your big bad LB with his stupid jersey rolled up is a gigantic stiff who is usually diving at guys as they run past him. You made our average OL look like the 95 Nebraska Cornhuskers, but we're the ones with issues. I'm shocked you guys won 3 games this year, especially Colgate.

For next year the Lafayette D has a chance to be very good. The DL will be getting 2 very good injured players back (3 counting Labudev who wasn't near 100% this year). Our DB's will be excellent with Roberts, Smalley, Parnham, Black (we think) and James returning. Roberts and Smalley are 1st team all league, and the freshman Parnham is probably more talented that those two. Backers will be solid. Brendan Bryant will be one of the best players in the league in a year or two. We will need to get better on offense, but we still have Drew Reed and some young talent. I am excited about next year. We may not win the league, but we will be in the mix. You guys will be complaining about the coaches and saying you need to play the freshman. You will also be saying that you though Yosha was going to be better. xlolx

Not a troll. The reality is Lafayette has posted 5 consecutive losing seasons. Your optimism is based on nothing more than hope like Lehigh's. The only difference is Lehigh has a recent run of success to fall back on as of now. Lehigh played horribly on Saturday but no one saw that outcome coming. At least no one on the PL picks board and that includes fans of other teams. Through the first 10 games the teams were rather equal.

If the league wants to move forward, Lehigh, Lafayette, Holy Cross and Colgate need to get it together next year....

Thankfully those 250 LB DL will be graduating and will be replaced by bigger guys. Are those guys slow and lack moves? Time will tell. Everyone and their brother knows the DL has been a problem the last two years since Chagani graduated. Coen made it a point of emphasis in recruiting. Cavenas saw significant time the last half of the year which will only help him moving forward.

Franks Tanks
November 25th, 2014, 09:35 PM
Not a troll. The reality is Lafayette has posted 5 consecutive losing seasons. Your optimism is based on nothing more than hope like Lehigh's. The only difference is Lehigh has a recent run of success to fall back on as of now. Lehigh played horribly on Saturday but no one saw that outcome coming. At least no one on the PL picks board and that includes fans of other teams. Through the first 10 games the teams were rather equal.

If the league wants to move forward, Lehigh, Lafayette, Holy Cross and Colgate need to get it together next year....

Thankfully those 250 LB DL will be graduating and will be replaced by bigger guys. Are those guys slow and lack moves? Time will tell. Everyone and their brother knows the DL has been a problem the last two years since Chagani graduated. Coen made it a point of emphasis in recruiting. Cavenas saw significant time the last half of the year which will only help him moving forward.

The reality is that Lehigh lost the last 2 Lafayette games by 20 plus points, and Lafayette has the most recent league championship. Lehigh has a good run in 2010 and 11, but Chechinni and Kotulski are gone and Coen has no idea how to fix his issues.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 25th, 2014, 09:46 PM
The reality is that Lehigh lost the last 2 Lafayette games by 20 plus points, and Lafayette has the most recent league championship. Lehigh has a good run in 2010 and 11, but Chechinni and Kotulski are gone and Coen has no idea how to fix his issues.

Lehigh won 10 games in 2012 and 8 games in 2013. Those are very good to good seasons. I'm not a Lehigh grad so while I understand the importance of the Lafayette game, I'm not using that as my determining factor when it comes to the state of the program. To do so is foolish imo. If I were ,then I could say that Lehigh is in better shape than Colgate.

To say that Coen has no idea how to fix the program is a hope, not a factual statement. If next year the offense and defense is in the dumps then I'll agree with you. One bad year of offense is in no way a trend. Up until Saturday it wasn't THAT bad based on YPG and PPG. Part of addressing the defense is getting bigger along the LOS. Lehigh will absolutely be bigger next year. It's TBD if they'll be better. The secondary is what I have zero clue about.

I could just as easily say that Tavani has no idea how to fix his issues. Lafayette lost a couple of key assistants since 2009 and have struggled to replace them if iirc.

Pards Rule
November 26th, 2014, 07:09 AM

Parnham is most excellent! No wonder he is starting as a frosh!! Glad to have Roberts and Black back!! I still recall how effusive John Loose was when talking about #1 after the Bucknell game up there in 2012.

DatDude
November 26th, 2014, 07:39 AM
That Yosha kid is overrated. If LU thinks he is the "franchise player", good luck and LMAO! Im from the midwest and im familiar with his story. No scholarship offers coming out of HS (he was injured...ALOT). A WALK-ON at Miami(FL), funny how LU hypes him up like he was a SCHOLARSHIP transfer from the U and PICKED LU. He had no other options!!! He wasnt going to see the field at the U anymore. He played SIX games on special teams, the U plays 12 games a yr. I think Yosha and his family sold LU a dream. The kid can NEVER stay healthy and just isnt that good. LU you have been.....catfished!!!xnodx

DFW HOYA
November 26th, 2014, 08:03 AM
Someone has to finish fifth and sixth, too, and just because these schools now have 45 scholarships, no one is guaranteed a ticket to playoff glory, not even Lehigh or Lafayette.

Coen is not going anywhere. The only coaching seat to watch is whether Joe Moorhead gets an offer at a place like Kent State or Miami-Ohio.

Franks Tanks
November 26th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Someone has to finish fifth and sixth, too, and just because these schools now have 45 scholarships, no one is guaranteed a ticket to playoff glory, not even Lehigh or Lafayette.

Coen is not going anywhere. The only coaching seat to watch is whether Joe Moorhead gets an offer at a place like Kent State or Miami-Ohio.

Moorhead may be shuffling off to Buffalo (they fired their coach mid-season). We all know coaches need to strike when the iron is hot, and now is the time for Moorhead if he desires to land a FBS gig. If he wants I will volunteer to make some calls on his behalf as I have no meetings today.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 26th, 2014, 08:15 AM
That Yosha kid is overrated. If LU thinks he is the "franchise player", good luck and LMAO! Im from the midwest and im familiar with his story. No scholarship offers coming out of HS (he was injured...ALOT). A WALK-ON at Miami(FL), funny how LU hypes him up like he was a SCHOLARSHIP transfer from the U and PICKED LU. He had no other options!!! He wasnt going to see the field at the U anymore. He played SIX games on special teams, the U plays 12 games a yr. I think Yosha and his family sold LU a dream. The kid can NEVER stay healthy and just isnt that good. LU you have been.....catfished!!!xnodx

Give me a break. He had flashes of brilliance before getting hurt vs. Yale. And he was a scholarship transfer without question.

His injury wasn't a lightweight, freakish thing. Yale's defender went for his knees and did what he set out to do, injure him and take him out for the season.

Pards Rule
November 26th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Moorhead may be shuffling off to Buffalo (they fired their coach mid-season). We all know coaches need to strike when the iron is hot, and now is the time for Moorhead if he desires to land a FBS gig. If he wants I will volunteer to make some calls on his behalf as I have no meetings today.

Yeah if Moorhead is smart he's departing based on whats lining up for FU next year. Did Buffalo fire Turner Gill or has he been gone for a while?

ngineer
November 26th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Yes, if Moorhead wants to 'go up the ladder' now is the time. Such opportunities are fleeting, especially at his age; so he needs to strike now if that is his intent. MAC seems to be a landing zone for several PL coaches over the years in the move upwards.

Franks Tanks
November 26th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Yeah if Moorhead is smart he's departing based on whats lining up for FU next year. Did Buffalo fire Turner Gill or has he been gone for a while?

Turner Gill went to Kansas, got fired, and is now the Head Coach at Liberty.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 26th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Yes, if Moorhead wants to 'go up the ladder' now is the time. Such opportunities are fleeting, especially at his age; so he needs to strike now if that is his intent. MAC seems to be a landing zone for several PL coaches over the years in the move upwards.

Not that the rest of us are prodding Buffalo him subliminally or anything...

Doc QB
November 26th, 2014, 10:13 AM

Very true Tanks...I am sure he is more than aware how his fellow UCONN buddy down at Towson is watching his coaching advancement prospects completely evaporate after not leaving when a once in a career RB and a boatload of transfer talent gets you to the NC game. Ambrose is sunk. Losing to URI? Ouch. As such, Moorhead has to be even a little edgy knowing what he graduates and what is coming back. He's gooooooooone.

DFW HOYA
November 26th, 2014, 10:22 AM

Gill left Buffalo in 2009 for the HC job at Kansas. He has been the coach at Liberty since 2012.

carney2
November 26th, 2014, 11:40 AM
As for Lehigh, I won't be over at Badman focusing my attention on every play. I show up once or twice a year - usually on a day when I can get a doubleheader with a Lafayette night game. So, when you're outside looking in you tend to focus on as few things as possible. Right now it's Shafnisky. If he is still taking the snaps from center in September I don't have a lot of hope for the Undiestains.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 26th, 2014, 11:43 AM
As for Lehigh, I won't be over at Badman focusing my attention on every play. I show up once or twice a year - usually on a day when I can get a doubleheader with a Lafayette night game. So, when you're outside looking in you tend to focus on as few things as possible. Right now it's Shafnisky. If he is still taking the snaps from center in September I don't have a lot of hope for the Undiestains.

if I were running things no position would be considered safe in the spring.

Also I cleared out my PMs.

Neighbor2
November 26th, 2014, 11:51 AM

Gotta agree. I never got that "Wow! We have 2 more years with this guy" positive feeling. Besides, I really miss that traditional Lehigh deep ball potential. Long strikes that are 90% air, not run.

Fordhamanhattan
November 26th, 2014, 01:00 PM
IMO Joe Moorhead would never leave his alma mater for Buffalo or other MAC schools. If a school like Ray Rice's Alma Mater comes by with a truck full of Jersey taxpayer dough, I wouldn't blame my friend. Fordham is on the list but like most Fordham men family is higher on the list. Don't see him going to Doc Huxtable's alma mater either. Fordham tore up his contract last year and I expect they will do so this year. Father McShane and the Board love him.

DatDude
November 26th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Give me a break. He had flashes of brilliance before getting hurt vs. Yale. And he was a scholarship transfer without question.

His injury wasn't a lightweight, freakish thing. Yale's defender went for his knees and did what he set out to do, injure him and take him out for the season.Sorry bud, im from the Midwest. I know of the Yosha kid. NO offers AT ALL coming out of high school. HE WAS A WALK ON AT MIAMI...http://caneswarning.com/2012/08/28/miami-hurricanes-football-meet-the-canes-walk-ons/ Half of your roster couldve WALKED ON at bigger programs....LOL. I know LU hyped him. Overrated, the Leigh kid will start over him next yr. You guys were pranked by him and his parents. Flashes of brilliance????? Must not take alot to impress you! xthumbsupx

Franks Tanks
November 26th, 2014, 01:08 PM
IMO Joe Moorhead would never leave his alma mater for Buffalo or other MAC schools. If a school like Ray Rice's Alma Mater comes by with a truck full of Jersey taxpayer dough, I wouldn't blame my friend. Fordham is on the list but like most Fordham men family is higher on the list. Don't see him going to Doc Huxtable's alma mater either. Fordham tore up his contract last year and I expect they will do so this year. Father McShane and the Board love him.

Not doubting your point, but a MAC school would normaly pay double what he is getting at Fordham. Perhaps more importantly if he wants to be the HC at a major conference school he will most likley have to stop over at a bottom rung FBS school first. Not really sure why that is the case, but only a select few coaches have made the jump from FCS to big time FBS HC directly.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 26th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Sorry bud, im from the Midwest. I know of the Yosha kid. NO offers AT ALL coming out of high school. HE WAS A WALK ON AT MIAMI...http://caneswarning.com/2012/08/28/miami-hurricanes-football-meet-the-canes-walk-ons/ Half of your roster couldve WALKED ON at bigger programs....LOL. I know LU hyped him. Overrated, the Leigh kid will start over him next yr. You guys were pranked by him and his parents. Flashes of brilliance????? Must not take alot to impress you! xthumbsupx

He had offers rescinded but he was a **** junior year before his knee injury. He was a preferred walk-on, something every FBS program offers, and he made the U travel team as a PWO freshman, no mean feat.

So 260 yards rushing and 3 TDs against UNH, JMU, and Yale aren't impressive enough for you? Two playoff teams and a team that beat Army and almost won the Ivy League title? As a soph he still can improve, of course, but not getting where this hate is coming from. Yosha's a good back, so is Leigh. I've very glad we have both of them.

Lehigh'98
November 26th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Sorry bud, im from the Midwest. I know of the Yosha kid. NO offers AT ALL coming out of high school. HE WAS A WALK ON AT MIAMI...http://caneswarning.com/2012/08/28/miami-hurricanes-football-meet-the-canes-walk-ons/ Half of your roster couldve WALKED ON at bigger programs....LOL. I know LU hyped him. Overrated, the Leigh kid will start over him next yr. You guys were pranked by him and his parents. Flashes of brilliance????? Must not take alot to impress you! xthumbsupx

Hey, he was 4 time player of the week in High School. That's gotta count for something!!

carney2
November 26th, 2014, 02:01 PM
I saw Yosha a few times before he went down and was impressed. The roster lists him at 190 and he looks small. He plays bigger though, if you get what I mean.

On other fronts, if Moorhead is still pacing the Fordham sideline in September I cease to worry because he obviously doesn't have the brains God gave a cactus.

Sader87
November 26th, 2014, 02:18 PM
I dunno....to each his own of course, but is coaching in the MAC (or other non P5 schools) really worth it ultimately (outside of a bit of a salary bump)?

Moorhead is coaching at his alma mater, in the NYC-area, no major stress to win 8, 9, 10 games every year, coaching kids that are probably nearly always great kids etc etc etc???

Is coaching in Buffalo, Troy Alabama, Ypsilianti, Mich etc really ultimately worth that trade-off???

Ivytalk
November 26th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Lehigh post-mortem? Are we talking autopsy here?

Pard4Life
November 26th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Lehigh post-mortem? Are we talking autopsy here?

Full rectal exam. Lots of lube and latex on hand.

Ivytalk
November 26th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Full rectal exam. Lots of lube and latex on hand.

I didn't know Rob Lowe went to Lehigh:D

carney2
November 26th, 2014, 03:30 PM
I dunno....to each his own of course, but is coaching in the MAC (or other non P5 schools) really worth it ultimately (outside of a bit of a salary bump)?

Moorhead is coaching at his alma mater, in the NYC-area, no major stress to win 8, 9, 10 games every year, coaching kids that are probably nearly always great kids etc etc etc???

Is coaching in Buffalo, Troy Alabama, Ypsilianti, Mich etc really ultimately worth that trade-off???

Only if he has dreams and aspirations. He's only 41.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 26th, 2014, 03:40 PM

The MAC has been the cradle of coaches for some time. Look at all the quality coaches recently that spent time at MAC schools, Jerry Kill, Urban Myer, Dave Clawson, Gary Pinkel, Randy Walker, Dave Doeren, Steve Addazzio Tim Beckman. Those are all guys, minus Meyer, that parlayed a MAC job into a big time P5 position.

The MAC is an excellent stepping stone. These programs have a little more support than you think due to their strong alumni network in the Midwest. Honestly, a job at one of the MAC schools not named EMU is just as good as one in the MWC or AAC imo. The path to the P5 is just as clear. In terms of reaching a great gig, Toledo or NIU will give a coach just as good of a shot as Boise State or ECU would.

There's also a reason why a guy like Frank Solich found happiness in the MAC. Ohio is a quality school, Athens is a great college town and the school is committed to putting a winning product on the field....

Fordhamanhattan
November 26th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Who is Dave Clawson?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 26th, 2014, 04:22 PM
Who is Dave Clawson?

Just some guy who rebuilt Richmond into a national power....:D

Fordhamanhattan
November 26th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Oh really. Never heard of him.xeyebrowx

Sader87
November 26th, 2014, 05:56 PM
As I stated, to each his own....but some guys are happy where they are (Laycock at W&M, Murphy at Harvard etc)...not everyone wants or needs to be the next Urban or Tressel.

HoyaMetanoia
November 26th, 2014, 05:58 PM
His injury wasn't a lightweight, freakish thing. Yale's defender went for his knees and did what he set out to do, injure him and take him out for the season.

To quote you: "Give me a break."

ngineer
November 26th, 2014, 08:38 PM

Only if you want to get into the center ring of colllege football. Some, like past coaches at Albany, Hofstra, Villanova, and Lafayette preferred the overall 'quality of life' I-AA/FCS football provided. If Moorhead is happy doing what he is doing he can probably stay a long time at this point. But if his ambitions include going "big time" he will need to move on by segments ala Lembo, Clawson, Higgins, etal.

DatDude
November 27th, 2014, 08:16 AM
He had offers rescinded but he was a **** junior year before his knee injury. He was a preferred walk-on, something every FBS program offers, and he made the U travel team as a PWO freshman, no mean feat.

So 260 yards rushing and 3 TDs against UNH, JMU, and Yale aren't impressive enough for you? Two playoff teams and a team that beat Army and almost won the Ivy League title? As a soph he still can improve, of course, but not getting where this hate is coming from. Yosha's a good back, so is Leigh. I've very glad we have both of them.like I said no offers coming out of HS. Tons of kids at this level had PWO offers at bigger schools. But if that makes you feel better go for it. 260yds in 3 games.......wow. That's 80 yds a game. Put him up for the Payton award! I'm just stating my opinion on the kid. Just was funny how LU hyped him like he's some steal scholly player from Miami when he was just a walk on. If my opinion and facts are called hate so be it. Kid isn't that good. Good luck with LU and depending on him as your " franchise player" as someone put it.......LMAO!

Pards Rule
November 27th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Only if you want to get into the center ring of colllege football. Some, like past coaches at Albany, Hofstra, Villanova, and Lafayette preferred the overall 'quality of life' I-AA/FCS football provided. If Moorhead is happy doing what he is doing he can probably stay a long time at this point. But if his ambitions include going "big time" he will need to move on by segments ala Lembo, Clawson, Higgins, etal.

Russo had offers I believe from Columbia and Brown among others.

carney2
November 27th, 2014, 09:53 AM
As I stated, to each his own....but some guys are happy where they are (Laycock at W&M, Murphy at Harvard etc)...not everyone wants or needs to be the next Urban or Tressel.

You're right, of course. I'm just betting that a 41 year old with a good resume doesn't want to be thinking about what might have been on his retirement day.

carney2
November 27th, 2014, 09:58 AM
Russo had offers I believe from Columbia and Brown among others.

I believe you are correct. The early Russo (1980s) got some offers. The later Russo (1990s) was a joke. After Lafayette he went to Wyoming Seminary, a prep school, where, I believe, he was an unpaid volunteer.

carney2
November 27th, 2014, 10:05 AM
In the first post to this thread, Neighbor2 mentioned PA announcers. I noted that both schools brought their announcers to Yankee Stadium. Thankfully, Lafayette as the home team, got to call the game and turned it over to The Voice of God, Jim Finnen. Lehigh's Marble Mouth the Mumbler introduced the band's pregame romp.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 27th, 2014, 10:05 AM
like I said no offers coming out of HS. Tons of kids at this level had PWO offers at bigger schools. But if that makes you feel better go for it. 260yds in 3 games.......wow. That's 80 yds a game. Put him up for the Payton award! I'm just stating my opinion on the kid. Just was funny how LU hyped him like he's some steal scholly player from Miami when he was just a walk on. If my opinion and facts are called hate so be it. Kid isn't that good. Good luck with LU and depending on him as your " franchise player" as someone put it.......LMAO!

We'll see in the spring.

I never had him for the Payton award, but Yale's and UNH's national rushing defense were ranked #35 and #36, respectively. Maybe throw out the performance against UNH, because some of those yards had to have come during garbage time, but he had a 100 yard rushing performance vs. Yale.

I would rather have a heathly Yosha AND Leigh than just Leigh. Maybe he was hyped because he transferred from the U, no doubt - any school/fan would have done that. But only you are trying to paint him as some sort of washout.

carney2
November 27th, 2014, 10:11 AM
What's the opinion on Lehigh's new helmets (see LFN's avatar)? Is it a keeper? Will we see it next fall? Personally, I liked the gold better, but my quick and dirty look-see at comments in other places seems to place me in the minority.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 27th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Contrary to my avatar, I vastly prefer the gold helmets. A lot more wins in them.

ngineer
November 27th, 2014, 10:52 PM
I like the white helmets, with LEHIGH decal. I have never cared for the gold ones. Too bland. I liked the gold helmets that had the "San Francisco" stripe motif and oval on the side with LU interlocked.