PDA

View Full Version : Western Carolina Coach Mark Speir Rips ESPN Analyst

BearDownMU
November 22nd, 2014, 09:12 PM
You tell 'em, Coach!!!

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/11/western_carolina_mark_speir_he.html

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 22nd, 2014, 09:13 PM
Herbstreit has never liked FBS/FCS games.

I like that WCU coach!!!!
xthumbsupx

Milktruck74
November 22nd, 2014, 09:18 PM
The Embarrassment is the fact that Ohio State is ranked #6 and would probably be the 4th or 5th placed team in the SEC West!!! Mark Speir deserves COY honors just for this statement!!!

longtimemocfan
November 22nd, 2014, 09:22 PM
Saw a lot of this game... WCU played with a lot of heart today. Made Alabama earn their victory. Herbstreit is a douchebag for sure.

Red & Black
November 22nd, 2014, 09:25 PM
You tell 'em, Coach!!!

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/11/western_carolina_mark_speir_he.html

I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chattownmocs
November 22nd, 2014, 09:31 PM
Where did speir play college football? Herbstreit was ohio player of the year and earned a scholarship to ohio state and is entitled to his opinion.

Apphole
November 22nd, 2014, 09:35 PM
Herbstreit was ohio player of the year and earned a scholarship to ohio state and is entitled to his opinion.

And so is Coach Speir.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 22nd, 2014, 10:22 PM
For all his love of Ohio State, they hate his ****ing guts in Columbus. He had to move to Tennessee because of it.

dbackjon
November 22nd, 2014, 10:24 PM
The Embarrassment is the fact that Ohio State is ranked #6 and would probably be the 4th or 5th placed team in the SEC West!!! Mark Speir deserves COY honors just for this statement!!!

It's pretty obvious you have not seen Ohio State play recently. They are playing asgood as any team in the SEC

chattownmocs
November 22nd, 2014, 10:29 PM
It's pretty obvious you have not seen Ohio State play recently. They are playing asgood as any team in the SEC

I know indiana beat missouri...but really?

Milktruck74
November 22nd, 2014, 10:29 PM
Herbie will take any opportunity to try and stick it to an SEC school...It is because his Buckeyes can't actually win a bowl game vs an SEC school.....(que some OSU fan bring up the Sugar bowl against a mediocre Arkansas squad)....1-10 and the one win was a 5 pt victory against the 4th place (of 6) team in the SEC west....

Milktruck74
November 22nd, 2014, 10:31 PM

You just made me spit beer out of my nose!!!

thebootfitter
November 22nd, 2014, 10:49 PM
Where did speir play college football? Herbstreit was ohio player of the year and earned a scholarship to ohio state and is entitled to his opinion.
Gosh... If THAT'S all I need to do in order to be entitled to my own opinion...

blackbeard
November 22nd, 2014, 10:55 PM
Awesome comments from the WCU coach! And a great kid and friend who is a Sr walk on at Bama scores a late TD and gets some love on SportCenter!

Sycamore62
November 22nd, 2014, 11:41 PM
He is also entitled to be a douchebag.

Im trying to prove a point but he is celebrating it

putter
November 23rd, 2014, 02:04 AM
and he is taking his entitlement to the limit... He and Mark May can kiss my ass. I would take a lot of FCS teams over some FBS teams. What has Alabama done to Kentucky, or other big schools against Temple, Rutgers etc? They blow them out....the FCS just gives them a fight with 22 less scholarships

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2014, 02:12 AM
and he is taking his entitlement to the limit... He and Mark May can kiss my ass. I would take a lot of FCS teams over some FBS teams. What has Alabama done to Kentucky, or other big schools against Temple, Rutgers etc? They blow them out....the FCS just gives them a fight with 22 less scholarships

There's more to it than that. Western Carolina was basically a glorified scrimmage in prep for the Iron Bowl. Yeah WCU hung in there but what do you think Alabama was really trying to accomplish out there? My guess is they were working on certain things and really didn't put in a game plan for the Catamounts. IMO, if a team like Alabama wanted game plan and treat WCU like LSU they'd win by 80+ points.

If Alabama is playing Rutgers or Kentucky the game has a much different feel. That includes the entire week, media duties, game planning etc. They just came off playing the #1 team in the country at home and have arguably the biggest rivalry game in FBS next week.

The alums and fans of these schools do not like these games. If I'm a 'Bama fan I despise watching the Tide go up against a team like WCU. Heck, I don't like Temple playing FCS games unless it's an attractive regional opponent who will bring fans. Temple has major historical ties with Delaware and Villanova...

Go...gate
November 23rd, 2014, 02:46 AM
There's more to it than that. Western Carolina was basically a glorified scrimmage in prep for the Iron Bowl. Yeah WCU hung in there but what do you think Alabama was really trying to accomplish out there? My guess is they were working on certain things and really didn't put in a game plan for the Catamounts. IMO, if a team like Alabama wanted game plan and treat WCU like LSU they'd win by 80+ points.

If Alabama is playing Rutgers or Kentucky the game has a much different feel. That includes the entire week, media duties, game planning etc. They just came off playing the #1 team in the country at home and have arguably the biggest rivalry game in FBS next week.

The alums and fans of these schools do not like these games. If I'm a 'Bama fan I despise watching the Tide go up against a team like WCU. Heck, I don't like Temple playing FCS games unless it's an attractive regional opponent who will bring fans. Temple has major historical ties with Delaware and Villanova...

Go Lehigh TU Owl, as I always do on this particular issue, I do not agree. I think the idea of stepping up in class to play a school is a positive experience and preparation for life after football. One does it in professional and business life all of the time.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2014, 03:01 AM
Go Lehigh TU Owl, as I always do on this particular issue, I do not agree. I think the idea of stepping up in class to play a school is a positive experience and preparation for life after football. One does it in professional and business life all of the time.

Would you encourage every PL school to play a D2 school every year? Including ones that have ZERO chance in beating you?

I think people look at these things too much from a FCS bubble. If you posted that on a FBS message board you would be laughed away. I'm not trying to be rude. The fans at these schools are so competitive when it comes to their football programs. I can still hear the Penn State fans bitching about YSU and CCU and that's a Big 10 school. This was right around the time PSU restructured their donor/ticket system. Notre Dame likes to point out every year they've never scheduled a FCS opponent. Or Alabama fans not caring about a 1 star recruit from WCU living out a dream in front of 95k fans. From the moment they beat Mississippi State last week the focus went towards Auburn....

catamount man
November 23rd, 2014, 05:34 AM
Speir said what needed to be said and Herbie doesn't have 1 hair on his ass to respond. Oh he may give a soundbite but he will never man up and actually call Coach Speir and say the same things directly over the phone that he pelts out on the air. He's a dick. WCU is going nowhere but up and Coach Saban always talks up WCU. Good luck to Bama the rest of the way. Ready for 2015. GO CATS!

Ivytalk
November 23rd, 2014, 06:41 AM
Exaggeration on both sides. Georgia Southern actually beat Florida in one of these "disgraceful" games last year, and WCU fought gamely yesterday, but FBS routs are the norm. Let them play the games.

phoenix3
November 23rd, 2014, 07:01 AM
Speir is a class act & will have many, many more winning seasons. Herbstreit would be selling insurance if he wasn't such a pretty boy.

catamount man
November 23rd, 2014, 07:02 AM
If it ever comes to P5 vs P5 you will see attendance and overall giving both drop. No way are fans going to support teams who were once 9-2 or 9-3 going 6-6 or 7-5 year after year.

dgtw
November 23rd, 2014, 07:03 AM
I am a fan of both Alabama and Jax State. I do not like these type of games from either end. I understand why they exist but I view them as a necessary.

I'd rather each play a crappy MAC team. Bama still gets a blowout but looks better for playing an FBS team. Jax St. has a real shot of winning. But there is also a financial reason for these games.

chattownmocs
November 23rd, 2014, 07:05 AM
Speir is a class act & will have many, many more winning seasons. Herbstreit would be selling insurance if he wasn't such a pretty boy.

This was classy?

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 23rd, 2014, 07:37 AM
I love the "fans don't want to see FCS team X" bit.

Georgia got 92,000 for Chuck South as they do pretty much every game.
Auburn got 87,000 for Samford
Alabama got 101,000 for Western Carolina

Apparently they don't mind it too much. Your die-hards hate the easy games but most of the buying power is with your typical fan who probably can't name a DI conference outside of maybe their own team's and you can't convince them not to show up because they are facing a Big South or SoCon team.

These FBS teams aren't running a charity organization. The six-figure payouts are peanuts compared to what they can make off of a "cupcake" game.xnodx

Oh, and by the way, did anyone notice ESPN used Georgia Southern's logo instead of Charleston Southern when talking about the SEC's games today? You undermine your own credibility doing things like that. xcoffeex

Mr. C
November 23rd, 2014, 08:06 AM
Herbstreit is a long-time foe of Speir back to the days of the App State-Michigan upset. I love that my friend took this chump to the woodshed again. No one in the Big Ten would stand up to the pounding of an SEC schedule. Fact.

Mr. C
November 23rd, 2014, 08:08 AM

Do not forget that Fordham whipped Temple last season.

Mr. C
November 23rd, 2014, 08:11 AM
Birds of a feather, chattownmocs/Herbstreit (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/member.php?38589-chattownmocs)

REALBird
November 23rd, 2014, 08:32 AM
Herbstreit is a douche, MarK May is. a douche. The ESPN analysts for all college sports are pretty much douchey (is that a word? LOL). I get it, these kids work just as hard at WCU or Illinois State or any other school for that matter, calling them "cupcakes" is insulting.

We play the games because we need the money and they need a "W" on paper, a "tune up" for the Iron Bowl or whatever reason they fancy! Mutual exchange of goods and services.

Just a few things to consider, for all his hot air, it IS Jerk Herbstreit! Its not a coach calling an FCS team a "cupcake". Whether those coaches buy into that crap or not, they show respect to our teams as professionals even if the talking mouthpieces from ESPeein don't.

Maybe if we refer to those games as something equally as derogatory since the BIG schools like eating cupcake, I like to call them Sexual Predator games, or "Cosbying". That's where a BCS team tries to slip is a Mickey and do bad things to us! LOL. Wondering if an E-Mail to ESPN and Herby with that new term would make them......nevermind it wouldn't. Happy Cosbying FBS teams.

Screw Them.....Its selection Sunday! Go Birds!

catamount man
November 23rd, 2014, 08:47 AM
This was classy?

In case you forgot, the ESPN heads were saying the same thing a year when Bama was shutting you guys out.

Catamount87
November 24th, 2014, 07:57 AM
I've never like Herbstreit. He's always come across as a pompous blowhard. It's about time someone called him out. But ESPN will keep him because that creates controversy which builds publicity and interest which in turn pulls in advertisers. My big issues is the lack of respect he shows towards the coaches, players and programs that aren't part of the P5. These men put in just as much effort, time, sweat AND are much more likely to be STUDENT-athletes. (ala UNC)

Now what's even worse? The people that claim to be fans of FCS programs that are siding with Herbstreit and his elitist, keep-the-programs-separated attitude.

OL FU
November 24th, 2014, 08:41 AM
Sounds like a lot of fun. I guess I am going to have to start watching. My ESPN viewership is basically watching the games. I almost never hear what the talking heads say (even at half-time).

and don't want to.

putter
November 24th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Would you encourage every PL school to play a D2 school every year? Including ones that have ZERO chance in beating you?

I think people look at these things too much from a FCS bubble. If you posted that on a FBS message board you would be laughed away. I'm not trying to be rude. The fans at these schools are so competitive when it comes to their football programs. I can still hear the Penn State fans bitching about YSU and CCU and that's a Big 10 school. This was right around the time PSU restructured their donor/ticket system. Notre Dame likes to point out every year they've never scheduled a FCS opponent. Or Alabama fans not caring about a 1 star recruit from WCU living out a dream in front of 95k fans. From the moment they beat Mississippi State last week the focus went towards Auburn....

Happens every year in the FCS. Montana played Western State of Colorado - won 55-7. Those kids from Western Colorado played their asses off any gave everything they had and they said it was one of the best experiences playing in Wa/Griz and getting to test themselves against D1 competition. I don't mind one D2 game a year, what I mind is the school charging me $35 to watch it. It is still about getting together to have the game experience and support the team. IMO, Alabama playing Temple, Idaho, etc. is not much different for the Tide than WCU. They will win by 5 scores no matter and it helps fund those schools programs.

Cocky
November 24th, 2014, 12:36 PM
How many games has Ohio St won against the SEC in the last 20 years?

Not a fan of the SEC but collectively they play the best college football. B1G is behind the B12 and PAC and maybe tied with the ACC for fourth best conference. The bottom of the B1G is close to MAC/SB level.

SU DOG
November 24th, 2014, 12:47 PM
I am a fan of both Alabama and Jax State. I do not like these type of games from either end. I understand why they exist but I view them as a necessary.

I'd rather each play a crappy MAC team. Bama still gets a blowout but looks better for playing an FBS team. Jax St. has a real shot of winning. But there is also a financial reason for these games.

Necessity is right, BUT, Bama will not play Samford, JSU, or ANY instate school except Auburn. Rumor has it that Bryant Jr. has dictated this rule because of the UAB possibility. They can just say that "this is our rule" and not even mention UAB. Thankfully Auburn is giving both Samford and JSU games, and does not take the Tide's elitist attitude.

catamount man
November 24th, 2014, 12:48 PM
PB Jr is a real a-hole for his treatment of UAB.

Milktruck74
November 24th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Necessity is right, BUT, Bama will not play Samford, JSU, or ANY instate school except Auburn. Rumor has it that Bryant Jr. has dictated this rule because of the UAB possibility. They can just say that "this is our rule" and not even mention UAB. Thankfully Auburn is giving both Samford and JSU games, and does not take the Tide's elitist attitude.

It took the Mocs about 50 years to get back on UTs schedule...I like to say it's because we thumped them back then and they have been scared to play us ever since....well they may have thumped us this year, but their QB learned what it was like to be planted by our OL 5 times. Playing an FBS school is like a Mid Season Bowl game for an FCS school. It gives the FCS guys a chance to see how good they are against top notch competition, maybe not as a team, but one on one... CBs get to cover an NFL prospect, OL gets to block a SEC front four...these game may often be blow outs, but it is so much more than the score. The learning Experience is second to none, and isn't that what athletics should be about? BTW, I was on the team that got beat 76-10 by Auburn!!!! Tikeo Spikes and Steven Davis made quite an impression on us!!! ha.

Herder
November 24th, 2014, 01:30 PM
What Herbie said is mild compared to what I've heard the B1G commish say with regard to fcs v fbs games. He called fcs JV football.

Sandlapper Spike
November 25th, 2014, 08:17 AM
Chattanooga coach Russ Huesman won't be watching College GameDay again:

Link (http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/nov/25/huesman-wont-watch-gameday-again/)

I think the folks at ESPN are going to find out they rubbed a lot of people the wrong way with that segment.

Sycamore62
November 25th, 2014, 08:29 AM
What Herbie said is mild compared to what I've heard the B1G commish say with regard to fcs v fbs games. He called fcs JV football.

True. That douche said that they would go D3 if they had to pay players. Cant wait for that.

Hammerhead
November 25th, 2014, 08:30 AM
I think it's the timing of the SEC vs. FCS teams that really rubbed Herbie the wrong way. Every other conference is playing games to remember in November trying to earn a spot in conference championship games and the SEC takes a break by scheduling teams with 22 fewer scholarships.

Sycamore62
November 25th, 2014, 08:40 AM
I think it's the timing of the SEC vs. FCS teams that really rubbed Herbie the wrong way. Every other conference is playing games to remember in November trying to earn a spot in conference championship games and the SEC takes a break by scheduling teams with 22 fewer scholarships.

If I were a SEC fan (which I am not) I would say something like "we play our games to remember in December and January"

Milktruck74
November 25th, 2014, 01:10 PM
If I were a SEC fan (which I am not) I would say something like "we play our games to remember in December and January"

Ouch....Sycamore62 wins the internet for today!!!!!

Sycamore62
November 25th, 2014, 02:34 PM
I may be still pissed that 10 of 10 big 10 schools passed on me

chattanoogamocs
November 25th, 2014, 02:40 PM
UTC coach Russ Huesman won't watch 'Gameday' again
Count University of Tennessee at Chattanooga football coach Russ Huesman among those who were offended by the comments of the ESPN "College Gameday" crew.
During last Saturday morning's telecast, analysts said that power FBS programs playing FCS schools was "embarrassing." Kirk Herbstreit went so far as to say it was the "worst thing happening in college football today."

Those comments led Western Carolina coach Mark Speir to blast the "Gameday" on-air analysts during an interview with AL.com following his team's game Saturday afternoon at Alabama.
Huesman was watching "Gameday" from his hotel room in Greenville, S.C., before the Mocs' game against Furman, but he said he will not watch the show again.

"Herbstreit has bothered me for a few years now," Huesman said. "Nothing to him matters except big-time college football. And then Desmond Howard jumped in, too, and that's when I had had enough. I'll never watch that show again.

FULL ARTICLE: http://timesfreepress.com/news/2014/nov/25/huesman-wont-watch-gameday-again/

EKU Toss Sweep
November 25th, 2014, 09:55 PM
Maybe if we refer to those games as something equally as derogatory since the BIG schools like eating cupcake, I like to call them Sexual Predator games, or "Cosbying". That's where a BCS team tries to slip is a Mickey and do bad things to us! LOL. Wondering if an E-Mail to ESPN and Herby with that new term would make them......nevermind it wouldn't. Happy Cosbying FBS teams.

I call these games what they are paydays or pay check games. All FCS teams know what they are signing up for and it is usually a big check for a tune up game. I pay to have my car tuned up before going on a big trip. BS schools are paying to tune up their passing games before playing a big game.

If you are going to stick with the sexual comparison, I think prostitution may be more accurate. It's often based on financial need as is playing FBS teams. And the FCS team gets a check and a shower before taking the bus home.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 25th, 2014, 10:00 PM
Did anyone hear Finebaum? He called Speir a moron.....xembarrassedx

chattownmocs
November 26th, 2014, 12:17 AM
I don't think he is a moron and I agree with his position. But his personal shots and herbstreit were wa boff base and nonsensical.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 26th, 2014, 01:02 AM
I may be still pissed that 10 of 10 big 10 schools passed on me

Same here.

I with Huesman ....or maybe way ahead of him. I never ever watch that and could not care less about what the clown show does. It's just Saturday morning cartoons for "adults".