PDA

View Full Version : CASE MADE... Toreros, City of San Diego ready for Playoffs

Pages : [1] 2

Guard Dawg
November 8th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Is this coach for real? Please put USD in the playoffs so several people can have reality checks....

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20061103/news_lz1s3playmake.html

Before USD played a down this season, head coach Jim Harbaugh told anyone who'd listen that Josh Johnson was the best junior quarterback in the nation. Not in Division I-AA. In all college football. Having come to his senses after catching glimpses of other teams, Harbaugh admits he was off base, that he spoke far too hastily. “He's the best quarterback in college football, period,” says Harbaugh. Can you say Troy Smith, Brady Quinn? “I've watched Troy Smith play,” says Harbaugh. “Our guy's better.”

Torero Tradition
November 8th, 2006, 10:02 PM
If you read the bottom of the article it mentions some great quarterbacks who have come from the I-AA ranks...

THESE QBs MADE THE JUMP
Division 1-AA quarterbacks who made it in the NFL:

Phil Simms (Morehead State) – New Yorkers booed when the Giants made the future Super Bowl MVP their 1979 first-round draft pick.

Doug Williams (Grambling State) – Named MVP of Super Bowl XXII in San Diego, throwing for a then-record 340 yards in the Redskins' 42-10 blowout of Denver.

Rich Gannon (Delaware) – Eighteen-year vet's best numbers came late in his career with Raiders. Only Blue Hen to play in a Super Bowl.

Kurt Warner (Northern Iowa) – Stocked groceries and played in the Arena League before directing the Rams' “Greatest Show on Turf.”

Steve McNair (Alcorn State) – Rugged Ravens quarterback can still play come crunch time, as Chargers discovered.

Tony Romo (Eastern Illinois) – Former Payton Award winner has unseated Drew Bledsoe at Dallas.

Torero Tradition
November 8th, 2006, 10:06 PM
A newer article on Johnson has since come out...
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/usd/20061105-9999-1s5usd.html

This is a recording: Johnson guides USD to big win

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Josh Johnson's pursuit of rewriting the University of San Diego record book keeps gaining momentum.

The junior quarterback out of Oakland set a USD total offense record yesterday, throwing for 384 yards and rushing for another 86, leading the Toreros to a rare come-from-behind 38-21 victory over Jacksonville University yesterday at D.B. Milne Field.

Retro
November 8th, 2006, 10:08 PM
All those guys except maybe simms played far better:twocents: competition in I-AA also. Morehead wasn't I-AA when simms was there and there was no I-AA except for maybe simms senior year if they were.

SirApp
November 8th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Who was the one loss against out of the pst 26 games?

November 8th, 2006, 10:12 PM
JJ is the real deal.

igo4uni
November 8th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Sigh............another San Diego thread.xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex :read: :read: :read: :read:

Torero Tradition
November 8th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Who was the one loss against out of the pst 26 games?

Lost @ Princeton 20-17

Torero Tradition
November 8th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Numbers for Walton Payton Candidate Josh Johnson....

PASSING GP Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yds TD Lng Avg/G
Johnson, Josh 9 176.28 183-271-3 67.5 2480 28 72 275.6

RUSHING GP Att Gain Loss Net Avg TD Long Avg/G
Johnson, Josh 9 74 595 67 528 7.1 8 46 58.7

Last year....
Johnson led the Toreros to new heights in 2005, as he threw for 3,256 yards, 36 touchdowns and eight interceptions while directing the team to an 11-1 record and Pioneer Football League title. Johnson also added 379 rushing yards and four touchdowns, and completed 70 percent of his passes. He notched eight games with three or more touchdown passes, including a seven-touchdown effort against Valparaiso.

Torero Tradition
November 8th, 2006, 10:57 PM
How seriously is Johnson being looked at for the Payton.... who would people say is the front-runner right now?

umassfan
November 8th, 2006, 11:00 PM
He still has a much lower passer rating then Coen from UMass. :D

November 8th, 2006, 11:16 PM
How seriously is Johnson being looked at for the Payton.... who would people say is the front-runner right now?
no

Johnny5
November 9th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Is this coach for real? Please put USD in the playoffs so several people can have reality checks....

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20061103/news_lz1s3playmake.html

Before USD played a down this season, head coach Jim Harbaugh told anyone who'd listen that Josh Johnson was the best junior quarterback in the nation. Not in Division I-AA. In all college football. Having come to his senses after catching glimpses of other teams, Harbaugh admits he was off base, that he spoke far too hastily. “He's the best quarterback in college football, period,” says Harbaugh. Can you say Troy Smith, Brady Quinn? “I've watched Troy Smith play,” says Harbaugh. “Our guy's better.”

Maybe it is the San Diego water....Troy Smith, Chad Henne, Brady Quinn, I'd argue that Colt McCoy is better...Brian Brohm, Drew Stanton, Drew Tate, Jared Zabransky just to name a few that Jimmy should have watched film on...in IA alone. Measure the QB by stats, clutch performance, and competition.

TheBisonator
November 9th, 2006, 01:04 AM
Why do I keep clicking on USD threads?? Why WHY WHY WHY WHY????!!!!

bkrownd
November 9th, 2006, 01:13 AM
Sigh............another San Diego thread.xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex :read: :read: :read: :read:

What, your defective reading comprehension failed to tell you that BEFORE you clicked on the header? :rolleyes:

bkrownd
November 9th, 2006, 01:14 AM
He still has a much lower passer rating then Coen from UMass. :D

I wanna see San Diego visit Amherst in the first round! :thumbsup:

Appstate29
November 9th, 2006, 02:26 AM
I wanna see San Diego visit Amherst in the first round! :thumbsup:

We got dibs over you guys!! but it looks like if they get in at all, Montana gets the lucky draw. :bawling: :bawling:

JohnStOnge
November 9th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Maybe it is the San Diego water....Troy Smith, Chad Henne, Brady Quinn, I'd argue that Colt McCoy is better...Brian Brohm, Drew Stanton, Drew Tate, Jared Zabransky just to name a few that Jimmy should have watched film on...in IA alone. Measure the QB by stats, clutch performance, and competition.

My bet would be that the college quarterback most highly coveted by NFL teams right now is Jamarcus Russell of LSU. I know I'm from Louisiana so I could be accused of homerism...but I've never said that about any LSU quarterback before. In fact I can't recall ever thinking that about a quarterback playing at a Louisiana university before.

I'm at a disadvantage because I haven't seen the San Diego quarterback play and the level of competition is such that it's hard to judge by the numbers. But, even having never seen him, I doubt that...say...Nebraska or North Carolina State would choose him over Jamarcus Russell if they were given the choice. Same with NFL clubs.

Russell is a Junior too...which makes Harbaugh's earlier assertion that Johnson is the best Junior quarterback questionable. And I'm sure there are a number of other Junior quarterbacks that could be better than the San Diego guy.

But...I think we've all come to understand that Harbaugh is given to hyperbole in promoting his team and its players. Nothing really wrong with that except that if they do get into the playoffs and go to say...Montana...they'll have no shot at all at catching the Griz flat.

Tribe4SF
November 9th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Harbaugh is the Mickey Matthews of the West Coast!:argue:

monmouthhawk
November 9th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Johnson is a good qb...but Brady Quinn, Troy Smith? Seriously...

Harbaugh must be drunk again or perhaps he hurt his brain along with his hand when he punched Jim Kelly...

UNH 40
November 9th, 2006, 07:06 AM
He couldn't hold Santos' jock. Give me a break.

GGASU
November 9th, 2006, 07:48 AM
We got dibs over you guys!! but it looks like if they get in at all, Montana gets the lucky draw. :bawling: :bawling:

Let them play SD I would Much Rather ASU play Lehigh/Lafayette winner or Coastal/Charleston winner than San Diego.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 9th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Harbaugh is the Mickey Matthews of the West Coast!:argue:

Copycats! Geesh... :nonono2:

nmatsen
November 9th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Has this kid won a game that he wasn't SUPPOSED to win yet? Then you can say he is good. Payton? Keep dreaming.

bison95
November 9th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Find Jim:D

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Find Jim:D

:nod: :nod: :nod:

GrizFoo
November 9th, 2006, 09:37 AM
He couldn't hold Santos' jock. Give me a break.

Harbaugh is freakin dreaming. I'm sure USD's QB is a stud, but get real, I-AA has some great QB's (case in point SANTOS), as does I-A. And I guarantee USD's QB has not faced many great DBs.

BillLuc1982
November 9th, 2006, 09:49 AM
USD's QB better than Rascati from JMU? Give me a break!

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

X-Factor
November 9th, 2006, 09:53 AM

should be a nice first round bye for UM

Guard Dawg
November 9th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Santos is probably the top QB currently

Torero Tradition
November 9th, 2006, 11:21 AM
should be a nice first round bye for UM

Hope they would be able to contain JJ

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 9th, 2006, 11:24 AM
They will if they play a little defense.

UNH 40
November 9th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Hope they would be able to contain JJ

He wouldn't whether to crap or get off the pot against UM. USD would not score a point if UM played its starters the whole game.

Go Apps
November 9th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Fantastic - Great to see this coach do everything within his power to get attention now - as soon as the playoff field is announced his day in the sun will be over!

No playoffs for San Diego

UNHFan99
November 9th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Santos, Coen, and Rascatti are all better. This kid from San Diego wouldnt even be all conference on this particular year in the A-10.

DetroitFlyer
November 9th, 2006, 11:33 AM
And just how many of you "so called" experts have ever actually seen Josh Johnson play? Give me a break. I think a 15 year NFL QB is a bit better judge of player's skill than anyone here!!!! We'll see in about five years who is doing better in the NFL....

BlueHen86
November 9th, 2006, 11:41 AM
And just how many of you "so called" experts have ever actually seen Josh Johnson play? Give me a break. I think a 15 year NFL QB is a bit better judge of player's skill than anyone here!!!! We'll see in about five years who is doing better in the NFL....

Sure, and of course Harbaugh has seen every other quarterback play and has no bias.

umassfan
November 9th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Santos, Coen, and Rascatti are all better. This kid from San Diego wouldnt even be all conference on this particular year in the A-10.
My question is who out of Santos, Coen, Rascatti and Shaffer(sp) is left off the all conference teams this season.

UNH 40
November 9th, 2006, 12:07 PM

Heres the thing HE PLAYS AGAINST TERRIBLE COMPETITION!!!! Put him in the A10, Gateway, Big Sky, etc... and he would have half of the statistics of guys like Santos', Sanders, and Swogger. If he puts up the kind of #'s he has been against a mediocre UC Davis team then I would say that he deserves some more credit.

UNHFan99
November 9th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Thats a good question and its gonna come down to the coaches of the league to argue that one out. I would love to know what coaches argue for what players. All the coaches do is nominate their guy and the other coaches speak for who other than their guy deserves it.

UNHFan99
November 9th, 2006, 12:11 PM
My question is who out of Santos, Coen, Rascatti and Shaffer(sp) is left off the all conference teams this season

Thats a good question and its gonna come down to the coaches of the league to argue that one out. I would love to know what coaches argue for what players. All the coaches do is nominate their guy. the other coaches speak for who they think deserves it.

umassfan
November 9th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Thats a good question and its gonna come down to the coaches of the league to argue that one out. I would love to know what coaches argue for what players. All the coaches do is nominate their guy. the other coaches speak for who they think deserves it.
I dont know if record would mean anything. Everyone knows Santos will be 1st team but 2nd and 3rd will be up for grabs.

UNHFan99
November 9th, 2006, 12:24 PM
I think it will go Santos, Rascatti, and Coen. Not that is definitelly the order in talent, but i think the coaches will work that agreement out.

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Heres the thing HE PLAYS AGAINST TERRIBLE COMPETITION!!!! Put him in the A10, Gateway, Big Sky, etc... and he would have half of the statistics of guys like Santos', Sanders, and Swogger. If he puts up the kind of #'s he has been against a mediocre UC Davis team then I would say that he deserves some more credit.

Bruce Eugene #2

ToreroTime
November 9th, 2006, 12:49 PM
I know a lot of people are ready to throw out Johnson stats just because he has played against a weaker schedule, but I really think he is the best Jr. QB in I-AA. He has the height at 6'3, he has the rocket arm (anyone would know this if they actually watched a game) and he has 4.5 speed. He is also very smart and unless someone else can show me a reason why he isnt the best Jr. QB in I-AA I will continue to believe it.

umassfan
November 9th, 2006, 12:56 PM
I know a lot of people are ready to throw out Johnson stats just because he has played against a weaker schedule, but I really think he is the best Jr. QB in I-AA. He has the height at 6'3, he has the rocket arm (anyone would know this if they actually watched a game) and he has 4.5 speed. He is also very smart and unless someone else can show me a reason why he isnt the best Jr. QB in I-AA I will continue to believe it.
If you dont know... Santos is a Jr as well.

umassfan
November 9th, 2006, 12:57 PM
I think it will go Santos, Rascatti, and Coen. Not that is definitelly the order in talent, but i think the coaches will work that agreement out.
They would likely be inclined to give Rascatti 2nd team due to him being a Sr.

Torero Tradition
November 9th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Is there a video of the run against Yale... that would be a neat clip to see and highlight JJ

UNH 40
November 9th, 2006, 01:20 PM

Santos has been OK throughout his Career.

How is this for a Junior QB.

Stats:

Passing yards- 9,369 yds.
TD's- 91
ints- 19
Rushing yds- 819 yds
Rushing TD's- 15
Record- 27-8

He is on pace to pass Mcnair in passing yds, and TD's. He is so far and away the best Junior in I-AA and is among the best in all of college football. Most of his stats wouldn't be touched by a QB in a career, and he still has at the very least two more games to play this year, and his whole senior season remaining to pad those stats. JJ shouldn't be mention in the same sentence.

BeauFoster
November 9th, 2006, 01:31 PM

No smack here, because I haven't seen him play, but I imagine that most of the DBs that JJ has faced are not as talented as many of the higher level guys at the top of the division. That has to have something to do with his numbers. The same goes for running and speed of the better players. I hope that if USD does make it into the playoffs that I get a chance to see how he does against Montana or whoever they play. That will go a long way in determining how most on this board and around the country feel about his skills.

BillLuc1982
November 9th, 2006, 01:43 PM
I would love to see him play against Appalachian State's defense

Torero Tradition
November 9th, 2006, 01:45 PM
USD @ Montana would probably be on ESPN2

UNHFan99
November 9th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Probably be on ESPN 2 for a half. They would take the game off tv once it is out of hand.

BeauFoster
November 9th, 2006, 01:59 PM
I would love to see him play against Appalachian State's defense

My feeling is that he would be in for a bad day against Apps speed. Plus, its not like ASU's defense doesn't practice against that same type of player every single day.

BeauFoster
November 9th, 2006, 02:04 PM
USD @ Montana would probably be on ESPN2

I don't think anyone know what games will be on TV yet. Montana has the media's eye, but we never know. Texas St. got 3 games last year. Someone posted the full playoff TV schedule on the MMB (taken from USA Today), here is what they had:

Sat.,
Nov. 25 Division I-AA football
First round 3:30 p.m. ESPN2

Sat,
First round 8 p.m. ESPNU

Sat.,
Dec. 2 Division I-AA football
Quarterfinals 4 p.m. ESPN2

Fri.,
Dec. 8 Division I-AA football
Semifinals 7:30 p.m. ESPN2

Sat.,
Dec. 9 Division I-AA football
Semifinals 4 p.m. ESPN

Fri.,
Dec. 15 Division I-AA football
Championship 8 p.m. ESPN2

UNHFan99
November 9th, 2006, 02:06 PM
I think if UNH wins out. Whoever they are on the road to face will be on ESPN. Just my opinion, but ESPN has put us on TV 4 times in the last two years. Our offense is very entertaining to watch when they are clicking.

jdrama
November 9th, 2006, 02:14 PM
This can't be serious they play no where near the comp that teams in conferences like the a-10 with QBs like Rascati (JMU), Santos (UNH), and Schaefer (Towson)

GOTOREROS
November 9th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Is there a video of the run against Yale... that would be a neat clip to see and highlight JJ

Here is a link to the SD Union-Tribune article with a video highlight of Josh Johnson. About halfway thru the clip is the 50 yard TD run vs. Yale where he broke 6 tackles.....

Link: http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/usd/20061103-9999-lz1s3playmake.html

GOTOREROS

shakdaddy3
November 9th, 2006, 02:38 PM
you can definetly see that the defenses he plays against are not very good... i will say that he is fast and has a pretty good arm... i will also say that against a better defense he would need to make better reads and tuck that ball away a bit better too...

i bet he could play at a higher level of competition than the PFL, but i don't think he would have even close to the same numbers... big fish in a bath tub, not even a small pond....

Torero Tradition
November 9th, 2006, 02:38 PM
WOW!It's worth a second look

danefan
November 9th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Here is a link to the SD Union-Tribune article with a video highlight of Josh Johnson. About halfway thru the clip is the 50 yard TD run vs. Yale where he broke 6 tackles.....

Link: http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/usd/20061103-9999-lz1s3playmake.html

GOTOREROS

You seriously have over 700 posts in one month? :bow: :bow:
Thats got to be some kind of a record!:hurray:

Torero Tradition
November 9th, 2006, 02:45 PM
An amazing record... deserves playoff consideration :)

GOTOREROS
November 9th, 2006, 02:48 PM

Call me the Josh Johnson of San Diego Torero posters - always setting records! :D

BlueHen86
November 9th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Yeah, but his posts have been against weak competition. Nobody is impressed by the record.:smiley_wi

GOTOREROS
November 9th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Yeah, but his posts have been against weak competition. Nobody is impressed by the record.:smiley_wi

LOL! xlolx Am I going to have to post video of me at the keyboard to prove what a great poster I am? xlolx

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2006, 02:52 PM

We've had guys do 1000 in a couple days once

danefan
November 9th, 2006, 02:52 PM
What is that...a high school highlight tape? :smiley_wi

He's good....but lets not get carried away here. The run against Yale was horrendous tackling more than a ridiculous run.

No smack though, because he is good....but not the best in IAA.

UNHFan99
November 9th, 2006, 02:54 PM
That is some bad tackling. If you want to see Ricky's Highlight tape watch any second of the UNH vs UD game this year.

BeauFoster
November 9th, 2006, 02:55 PM
LOL! xlolx Am I going to have to post video of me at the keyboard to prove what a great poster I am? xlolx

Video doesn't mean anything if the keyboard is weak.

Torero Tradition
November 9th, 2006, 03:01 PM
LOL!

GOTOREROS
November 9th, 2006, 03:49 PM
LOL!

Yeah, but on my keyboard I can type 1500wpm.......xlolx

GOTOREROS
November 9th, 2006, 04:13 PM
You say bad tackling, Yale head coach Jack Siedlecki says otherwise and he was on the field for the whole game:

"There is no question that quarterback is a special player," said Yale coach Jack Siedlecki, whose team plays its next three games on the road. "They've got a good core of receivers and are very skilled offensive football team. The thing that was probably the most frustrating for our defense is that when we had everything covered and flushed him, he made big plays with his feet."

"It was frustrating," Siedlecki said. "We were in position to make plays, he just ran around us. That touchdown run he made half a dozen guys miss."

It isn't just USD fans talking about Josh Johnson. Jack Siedlecki could have made excuses for the tackling but seems to think he is for real. Ask Ralph if you think he isn't the real deal....Ralph has seen most of the I-AA QB's. He may not be "the best" but is near the top of I-AA QB's in my opinion.

Here's the link to the article I pulled the quotes from: http://www.nhregister.com/site/index.cfm?newsid=17209335&BRD=1281&PAG=461&dept_id=517515&rfi=8

GOTOREROS

SO ILLmatic
November 9th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Sat.,
First round 3:30 p.m. ESPN2

Sat,
First round 8 p.m. ESPNU

Sat.,
Dec. 2 Division I-AA football
Quarterfinals 4 p.m. ESPN2

Fri.,
Dec. 8 Division I-AA football
Semifinals 7:30 p.m. ESPN2

Sat.,
Dec. 9 Division I-AA football
Semifinals 4 p.m. ESPN

Fri.,
Dec. 15 Division I-AA football
Championship 8 p.m. ESPN2

Kind of off topic but why is the championship game on ESPN2 & one of the semis on ESPN? I know it was done this way last year, but it seems more logical to do it the other way around.

BeauFoster
November 9th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Kind of off topic but why is the championship game on ESPN2 & one of the semis on ESPN? I know it was done this way last year, but it seems more logical to do it the other way around.

ESPN probably has some crap like the NBA to show. It doesn't really bother me that much though. Most every household in the country can get ESPN2 now and the NC game last year was the most watched program on all of ESPNs networks that particular weekend last year.

SirApp
November 9th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Josh is definately a very talented athlete. He definately has a hell of an arm and great speed. Still think Harbaugh is over-hyping him. One of the tops in 1-AA?? I would say yes, a most definate top-tier QB. One of the tops in the nation?? There's a hell of a lot of good QB's out there.

GOTOREROS
November 9th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Josh is definately a very talented athlete. He definately has a hell of an arm and great speed. Still think Harbaugh is over-hyping him. One of the tops in 1-AA?? I would say yes, a most definate top-tier QB. One of the tops in the nation?? There's a hell of a lot of good QB's out there.

Agreed. I think people need to take Harbaugh's comments as comments of a coach "hyping" up his QB. Is he the best - hard to say considering he hasn't faced a top I-AA team yet. He could be but until he does the jury is still out....I would agree he is a one of the more exciting QB's in I-AA. Just my two cents...

ucdtim17
November 9th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Yes it is him hyping his QB and we don't have to respect him for it. He's whinier than Mack Brown. The fact that we have to hold back judgement because he hasn't even seen top I-AA defenses yet is comical. And he's saying he's better than Troy Smith, Brady Quinn, et al??? This is ridiculous - he's a nut who you'd think would know better

GOTOREROS
November 9th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Yes it is him hyping his QB and we don't have to respect him for it. He's whinier than Mack Brown. The fact that we have to hold back judgement because he hasn't even seen top I-AA defenses yet is comical. And he's saying he's better than Troy Smith, Brady Quinn, et al??? This is ridiculous - he's a nut who you'd think would know better

Maybe Harbaugh is simply going off physical/mental talents - arm strength, speed, mobility, ability to pick up complicated schemes, etc. As much as you might not like it, Harbaugh was a successful QB in the NFL and might know one or two things YOU don't about being a QB.

Now, I would agree that you can't compare Johnson's winning/stats to other QB's in the nation. But "winning/stats" and physical/mental ability are many times two different things. So, yes perhaps Harbaugh should be more specific on why he thinks Johnson is the best and clear it all up for your benefit...

There are plenty of small school guys in the NFL who didn't compete at the top of college football......and those guys get in as physical studs. I'll give you an example of this - Antonio Gates of the Chargers. They guy never played a down of college football but because he was a great athlete he is now a star in the NFL....just something to think about.

ucdtim17
November 9th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Yes you would think he would know more than me. Apparently not though. This is the same argument we get about USD as a team: you guys "are" better than half the top 25, but since we'll never really know, it doesn't matter. You ARE what you DO, not what you have the potential to do. Johnson may turn out to be a great NFL QB, but as of now, just like with USD as a whole, it's apples to oranges until you start playing real teams week after week.

GOTOREROS
November 9th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Yes you would think he would know more than me. Apparently not though. This is the same argument we get about USD as a team: you guys "are" better than half the top 25, but since we'll never really know, it doesn't matter. You ARE what you DO, not what you have the potential to do. Johnson may turn out to be a great NFL QB, but as of now, just like with USD as a whole, it's apples to oranges until you start playing real teams week after week.

Again, I understand what you are saying. What I am trying to get across to you is not to take much of what Harbaugh is saying seriously. Take it with a grain of salt....he's a self-promoter trying to hype his team up. That is all, don't take it as though he is insulting anyone by his comments....take them as a guy trying to get a much publicity as he can get...

:twocents:

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Again, I understand what you are saying. What I am trying to get across to you is not to take much of what Harbaugh is saying seriously. Take it with a grain of salt....he's a self-promoter trying to hype his team up. That is all, don't take it as though he is insulting anyone by his comments....take them as a guy trying to get a much publicity as he can get...

:twocents:

Let me ask you this

What is the purpose of said publicity?

GOTOREROS
November 9th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Let me ask you this

What is the purpose of said publicity?

Well, I think he does want to increase the visibility of USD football, but he also has aspirations himself. The better USD is perceived to be the better he is perceived to be. Just trying to give you an honest answer....

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Well, I think he does want to increase the visibility of USD football, but he also has aspirations himself. The better USD is perceived to be the better he is perceived to be. Just trying to give you an honest answer....

So if all of this is for his own self promotion, how do you USD fans feel about that? Personally it would offend me if my coach was doing this:twocents:

GOTOREROS
November 9th, 2006, 07:20 PM
So if all of this is for his own self promotion, how do you USD fans feel about that? Personally it would offend me if my coach was doing this:twocents:

Why should I be offended? If people can move on in life and get to a better situation then why shouldn't they? He has never openly said he is leaving USD but it doesn't take a genius to know he will move on to bigger and better things. He coached 2 years in the NFL already for the Oakland Raiders, I suspect one day he will be back in the NFL. He has said it is a career goal to win a Super Bowl as a coach.

I didn't say it was only self-promotion, I said it was partly self-promotion. He has consistently talked about USD in the media. He was on ESPN TV about two weeks ago and hyped up our program and school. He only spoke of the Super Bowl dream, but talked 95% about USD football even when they tried to steer him to talk of Michigan or the NFL.

Personally, I am here in this world to help people get ahead in life and if he isn't degrading the school or program more power to him. If we succeed and he succeeds what's wonrg with that? Even when he leaves USD, our football program will be better for his time here....

USD football will not drop off the mat when Harbaugh leaves. Dave Adolph is said to want to remain and Ted Tollner is said to want to move from the radio booth back to the field. A former NFL DC and former NFL OC will do just fine in I-AA football. I think we will be OK.....

Torero Tradition
November 9th, 2006, 11:43 PM

It's funny to hear a bobcat fan talk about a coach and self-promotion...
KRAMER MUCH?!

Mr. C
November 10th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Have you seen Johnson play? If not, as a former player, how can you make that statement? From what some scouts tell me, Johnson would probably be drafted late (maybe sixth round) if he came out as a junior. He might project to the third or fourth round by the time he has finished his senior year. He is viewed as a guy with a lot of athletic talent and a tremendous upside. He can run, throw and is very smart. Santos is a borderline NFL QB from what I'm hearing, but he still has a year to develop. Can't fault his leadership skills. Sanders is smart and a competitor, but has NO WHERE near the arm strength that Santos or Johnson have. He is a gutsy leader, but he is not an NFL-caliber guy. Swogger is liked by NFL types because of his body, but has had a dreadful season from what I've been told by many people. He sometimes is sharp and other times throws the ball all over the place. Swogger will get a look from the NFL, but is a longshot to stick with anyone.

Torero Tradition
November 10th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Would Johnson ever become a serious contender for the Payton while playing for a non-scholly PFL team?

I've heard the same things Mr. C has in terms of draft projections

Mr. C
November 10th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Would Johnson ever become a serious contender for the Payton while playing for a non-scholly PFL team?

I've heard the same things Mr. C has in terms of draft projections
He would have an uphill battle. Probably the best comparison would be Bruce Eugene, who was putting up monster numbers against a poor schedule. But then Bruce got to play against I-A competition about once a season. Bruce was a finalist for the Payton, but nothing more. He lost out (finishing third) to Tony Romo one year.

AppGuy04
November 10th, 2006, 10:49 AM
It's funny to hear a bobcat fan talk about a coach and self-promotion...
KRAMER MUCH?!

shows how observant you are:rolleyes:

Torero Tradition
November 10th, 2006, 10:51 AM
are you saying Kramer isn't a self promoter for his team... aren't they top defense in the Big Sky preseason every year with all the best players in the big sky on his team? .... or was that a compliment... of course i'm obsevant to I-AA football... i'm just hoping USD makes the playoffs this year :)

Torero Tradition
November 10th, 2006, 10:52 AM
He would have an uphill battle. Probably the best comparison would be Bruce Eugene, who was putting up monster numbers against a poor schedule. But then Bruce got to play against I-A competition about once a season. Bruce was a finalist for the Payton, but nothing more. He lost out (finishing third) to Tony Romo one year.

Thanks Mr. C. I would agree with you... unless he had about 4 games against top I-AA teams and then the PFL schedule... it would be hard to seriously be considered. While awards are nice, i think the upside for Johnson will be as good or better than a lot of I-AA quarterbacks after next season.

AppGuy04
November 10th, 2006, 11:05 AM
are you saying Kramer isn't a self promoter for his team... aren't they top defense in the Big Sky preseason every year with all the best players in the big sky on his team? .... or was that a compliment... of course i'm obsevant to I-AA football... i'm just hoping USD makes the playoffs this year :)

I was referring to the fact that I'm not even an MSU fan, I changed my avatar to support them to beat Montana next weekend. There is a thread about it, or do you not even notice things other than USD threads? Thought so:rolleyes:

Torero Tradition
November 10th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Whoops... my apologies... i didn't see that you were just sporting an MSU helmut xlolx

I'll only be preoccupied until playoff selection and then maybe a few days after ;)

BigApp
November 10th, 2006, 12:05 PM

Doesn't say much for Southern Cal's job placement program, does it?:smiley_wi

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 10th, 2006, 12:08 PM

Easiest way to get better perception of your program...
step 1... Schedule good teams
step 2... Win against said teams
step 3... Repeat

GOTOREROS
November 10th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Easiest way to get better perception of your program...
step 1... Schedule good teams
step 2... Win against said teams
step 3... Repeat

Well, other than most the fans opinions here on AGS - USD and Harbaugh have a great reputation. The stories in USA Today, ESPN TV, Jim Rome, etc. all are extremely beneficial to USD.

Your advice might be the way to get more fans on AGS to like USD more, but USD is doing very well right now in media. But to be honest Harbaugh could probably care less what you all think about him. Just being honest, but I doubt he is worried what AGS posters think of him and his program.

So, while your advice might be good in theory, Harabugh's image isn't hurting right now. Name me another I-AA coach whose name is being mentioned for Michigan State, Iowa State, and Stanford right now. You may not like it but he is the media's "Golden Boy".....

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 10th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Well, other than most the fans opinions here on AGS - USD and Harbaugh have a great reputation. The stories in USA Today, ESPN TV, Jim Rome, etc. all are extremely beneficial to USD.

Your advice might be the way to get more fans on AGS to like USD more, but USD is doing very well right now in media. But to be honest Harbaugh could probably care less what you all think about him. Just being honest, but I doubt he is worried what AGS posters think of him and his program.

So, while your advice might be good in theory, Harabugh's image isn't hurting right now. Name me another I-AA coach whose name is being mentioned for Michigan State, Iowa State, and Stanford right now. You may not like it but he is the media's "Golden Boy".....

???? :confused:

I was talking about how to get your program noted as a playoff contender every year...

Torero Tradition
November 10th, 2006, 12:37 PM
USD is currently in the PFL, which is a non-scholly conference... it is going to be tough to be noted as a playoff contender every year when people are obviously anti-non-scholarship programs.

BigApp
November 10th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Why do I keep clicking on USD threads?? Why WHY WHY WHY WHY????!!!!

Well, I can certainly understand your sentiments. But, its like this:

All of us watch those car chases on the news and "Cops". Why? We all know how they are going to end, and usually it's not very pretty. We watch because of several reasons. Here are a couple:

We, as a society, like to know (and see) that our laws and codes are being enforced. To analogize, we (commonly called on here the "Old Guard") like to see our set of 'rules' per se stay in tact when doling out playoff selections. We are paying attention to see if the committee will continue to enforce these 'rules'
We know those cars chases end in tragedy (being run over by a moving train, slamming into a telephone pole/tree/building, multiple end-over-end crashes, etc) . In this case, we all know USD would be killed by top seeds to the tune of 6+ touchdowns. Subliminally, we collectively ask, "Why do Torero's want to subject themselves to that type of humiliation? The could just go on, play in their Gridiron Classic, probably win, maybe by a large margin, and enjoy a very fine season"

Why do USD fans want to subject themselves to playing a much better team, without the large guarantees we get when playing I-A's, knowing that most likely, you're staring at a large humiliation to the nth degree?

Personally, I don't know. But I can't take my eyes off the collision that may be about to occur.

Who will be the enforcer of our I-AA laws and rules (written or unwritten)? The committee, or the oncoming loaded train thats moving at full speed?

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 10th, 2006, 12:41 PM
USD is currently in the PFL, which is a non-scholly conference... it is going to be tough to be noted as a playoff contender every year when people are obviously anti-non-scholarship programs.

Schedule OOC games that aren't against powerhouses like Dixie St. and Azusa Pac.

Torero Tradition
November 10th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Schedule OOC games that aren't against powerhouses like Dixie St. and Azusa Pac.

I would agree with that statement... but if USD has the talent and the team to be a playoff contender, you don't keep them out because they are Non-scholarship.

nmatsen
November 10th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Maybe Harbaugh is simply going off physical/mental talents - arm strength, speed, mobility, ability to pick up complicated schemes, etc. As much as you might not like it, Harbaugh was a successful QB in the NFL and might know one or two things YOU don't about being a QB.

Now, I would agree that you can't compare Johnson's winning/stats to other QB's in the nation. But "winning/stats" and physical/mental ability are many times two different things. So, yes perhaps Harbaugh should be more specific on why he thinks Johnson is the best and clear it all up for your benefit...

There are plenty of small school guys in the NFL who didn't compete at the top of college football......and those guys get in as physical studs. I'll give you an example of this - Antonio Gates of the Chargers. They guy never played a down of college football but because he was a great athlete he is now a star in the NFL....just something to think about.

But Gates was a good enough athlete to get a Division I scholarship. Not something that your QB from SD can say. Unless of course I am sure you will tell me that he had all kinds of offers but chose instead to play for San Diego and recieve no scholarship?

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 10th, 2006, 12:45 PM
I would agree with that statement... but if USD has the talent and the team to be a playoff contender, you don't keep them out because they are Non-scholarship.

Thats a good point, to bad it doesn't matter because I didn't say anything about being non-scholarship... I said somthing about playing teams that aren't good.

Torero Tradition
November 10th, 2006, 12:55 PM
a lot of teams play teams that aren't good... in fact most teams in the playoffs will have played someone who is not good

cosmo here
November 10th, 2006, 12:59 PM
a lot of teams play teams that aren't good... in fact most teams in the playoffs will have played someone who is not good

just not everybody but one school that isn't good . . xcoffeex

Torero Tradition
November 10th, 2006, 01:12 PM
The 8 best teams should get the 8 at-large picks... IMHO, San Diego will be one of the 8 at-large. At least should be an at-large...

JohnStOnge
November 10th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Thats a good point, to bad it doesn't matter because I didn't say anything about being non-scholarship... I said somthing about playing teams that aren't good.

The thing is, they did beat the snot out of Yale. I know it's just one team. But they didn't just edge the now 7 - 1 Bulldogs. They absolutely pistol whipped them. They put up 567 yards of offense against a team that's now given up an average of 331 in its other games playing in a league that is rated by Sagarin's system as tougher than 5 of the 8 automatic bid conferences this year.

It's just one game, but we're far enough along now to conclude that it was a very impressive, dominant performance against a very solid I-AA team.

I admit it'd be nice if they had more games against mainstream I-AA competition so that a better assessment could be made. It's a tough call. But if I were on that committee and the playoffs selections were made based on what's happened to date I'd vote to put them in the playoffs.

Guard Dawg
November 10th, 2006, 02:53 PM
If USD makes the playoffs all hell will break loose

Torero Tradition
November 10th, 2006, 04:37 PM
San Diego will get selected if they win on saturday over Dayton... obvious choice, IMHO.

mcveyrl
November 10th, 2006, 05:25 PM
They would likely be inclined to give Rascatti 2nd team due to him being a Sr.

I tend to agree, although I've never seen Coen play.

Johnny5
November 11th, 2006, 04:34 AM

yeah someone...as in 1...a tune up for the rest of the year. and people in general need to stop talking about Yale like they are on the same level as Appy State, Montana, etc. they are in the top 25 for playing crud teams, just like some other programs are.:twocents:

Guard Dawg
November 11th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Here's Johnny

yeah someone...as in 1...a tune up for the rest of the year. and people in general need to stop talking about Yale like they are on the same level as Appy State, Montana, etc. they are in the top 25 for playing crud teams, just like some other programs are.:twocents:

nice

Torero Tradition
November 11th, 2006, 10:29 AM
LOL, calling the IVY league a bunch of crud teams?

Torero Tradition
November 11th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Coupled with the Cal Poly loss, a win tonight and San Diego could be in!
Sell out crowd at Torero Stadium.... stay tuned.... check it out on the web!

bustingnut
November 11th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Im shaking with the anticipation

ravens
November 11th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Im shaking with the anticipation

awww I hope they get in. We have all had fun dogging them all year but they kept winning. ( and I hope they get to go to Boone and see snow !! )

Tod
November 11th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Coupled with the Cal Poly loss, a win tonight and San Diego could be in!
Sell out crowd at Torero Stadium.... stay tuned.... check it out on the web!

Free video?

ravens
November 11th, 2006, 08:09 PM
so what is the score?

usdtoreros
November 11th, 2006, 08:14 PM
7-0 San Diego...Josh Johnson 3 yard scramble after a 3-and-out for Dayton

Stang Fever
November 11th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Game is going to be a blowout. One team is playing nothing but CUPCAKES and thinks that cause they put up great numbers that they are a great team. SLEEP******

bustingnut
November 11th, 2006, 08:23 PM
They have taken the criticism well, thats true.

usdtoreros
November 11th, 2006, 08:33 PM
14-0 San Diego, end of the 1st

Dayton driving.

TheBisonator
November 11th, 2006, 08:39 PM
http://www.satori.org/images/sleepy.gif

TheBisonator
November 11th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Either this is a half-hour long timeout, or this thread died because.... NOBODY CARES!!!!!

ravens
November 11th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Either this is a half-hour long timeout, or this thread died because.... NOBODY CARES!!!!!

If you want respect, you have to give it.

TheBisonator
November 11th, 2006, 08:52 PM
If you want respect, you have to give it.

I don't have to give respect to a wannabe.

ravens
November 11th, 2006, 08:55 PM

Ok, so you just want people to treat NDSU with respect but not SDU :confused:

Stang Fever
November 11th, 2006, 08:57 PM
NDSU you are better then that. No need to get into this. IF I was USD I would be thinking the samething. iF you look at the rest of the I-AA world there are a TON of teams that have 3 loss teams. either the stars are aligning just right for them to get in cause of this. or there are going to be a lot of 3 and 4 loss teams. and most people dont see a 4 loss team getting in. So USD is right in thinking that they have a chance.

BUT we all know and believe that there schedule doesnt prove anything cause of who it came against.

matfu
November 11th, 2006, 08:57 PM
i would think san diego has a ZERO chance of getting in the playoffs

ravens
November 11th, 2006, 08:58 PM

See I think maybe you should give them some respect just in case that while you are sitting home you are watching them in the playoffs....just a thought.:read:

Stang Fever
November 11th, 2006, 09:03 PM
i would think san diego has a ZERO chance of getting in the playoffs

Me too. but if you were standing on the other side you would see all the rest of the stuff going on.

I for one would never vote them in

FlyYtown
November 11th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Does anyone here actually think this game matters? I don't... I find it silly... Dayton Rocks!

usdtoreros
November 11th, 2006, 09:06 PM
34-0 San Diego...missed the extra point

Tod
November 11th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Ok, so you just want people to treat NDSU with respect but not SDU :confused:

NDSU is a great team with zero chance of the playoffs. Some are lashing out.

Although, there are certainly fans from other teams that just insist on crapping on USD every chance they get, too.

: smh : : smh : : smh :

ravens
November 11th, 2006, 09:07 PM
SDU up 28-0 in second quarter.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 11th, 2006, 09:08 PM
*yawn* xcoffeex

Tod
November 11th, 2006, 09:09 PM
SDU up 28-0 in second quarter.
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

You beat me to it. xsmileyclapx :thumbsup:

DFW HOYA
November 11th, 2006, 09:09 PM

Respect is earned, not given.

DuckDuckGriz
November 11th, 2006, 09:11 PM
:rolleyes: Wow -- classy Bison fans here.

usdtoreros
November 11th, 2006, 09:11 PM
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

You beat me to it. xsmileyclapx :thumbsup:

Look at the page before, I posted 34-0 before you even post 28-0.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 11th, 2006, 09:15 PM
I want San Diego in the playoffs but i don't want them to play Montana. I'm not sure what would be proved by sending a the Torero's to Missoula. I'd rather have them play the the Southland Champ or one of the last at-larges. I think it would give San Diego a better chance to prove their play worthyness. I can think of 7 or 8 teams that will be in the playoffs that if sent to Missoula(Boone) would also have little to chance of winning.

Stang Fever
November 11th, 2006, 09:15 PM
so whats the real score.

I am going to say the final score is 61-7

***If every game you have played in as not even been close how do you dare say you have a great team. Its just obvious that the teams you are playing are really really sorry and you are way to good for them but are not doing your fans, your team, your school any favors for playing them. its time to get out of the kiddy pool and get in the water were the rest of the sharks play.***

FlyYtown
November 11th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Blah Blah Blah.. This game means nothing for the I-AA Playoffs. SD is not going.

UNI>>>SD

gophoenix
November 11th, 2006, 09:19 PM
If San Diego makes the playoffs, then the committee has some major explaining to do to every other team that has had a NS school on the schedule and been penalized for it.

A 2nd MEAC, Patriot, or 4th A-10 or Gateway team would be much more deserving.

Stang Fever
November 11th, 2006, 09:22 PM
How do you even enjoy a game that everyone is a blowout. Can USD beat a lot of I-AA teams yeah. how many teams can say they have a former NFL defensive coordinator on there team. I think USD can score with the best of them but can they stop anyone

ravens
November 11th, 2006, 09:22 PM
If San Diego makes the playoffs, then the committee has some major explaining to do to every other team that has had a NS school on the schedule and been penalized for it.

Is Mars Hill a NS school?

Eaglegus2
November 11th, 2006, 09:24 PM
I want San Diego in the playoffs but i don't want them to play Montana. I'm not sure what would be proved by sending a the Torero's to Missoula. I'd rather have them play the the Southland Champ or one of the last at-larges. I think it would give San Diego a better chance to prove their play worthyness. I can think of 7 or 8 teams that will be in the playoffs that if sent to Missoula(Boone) would also have little to chance of winning.

USD thinks they belong in the playoffs. Let they play where they are sent. Don't ask to play a weaker team. GSU & Texas ST - San Marcos played each other last year when they were ranked 4th & 5th.

If the Torreos what to bark with the big dogs, they need to get off the porch.:smiley_wi :nod:

ravens
November 11th, 2006, 09:24 PM

They won 7 conference games and beat Yale. Is there conference good? No. Is it I-AA? Yes.

DFW HOYA
November 11th, 2006, 09:25 PM
There's no BCS hierarchy in I-AA where there is some sort of mathematical number that defines the championship. USD can only play the schools the schedule provides them, and so far they have met every test.

The argument is not whether USD should play for the national title. The argument is whether they are worthy of an at-large bid.

At this point, the answer is yes.

usdtoreros
November 11th, 2006, 09:26 PM
34-0 at half.

Josh Johnson's first half stats...
17-18, 184 yds, 3 TDs
7 rushes, 58 yards, 2 TDs

danefan
November 11th, 2006, 09:31 PM
The argument is not whether USD should play for the national title. The argument is whether they are worthy of an at-large bid.

I think this is where people's opinions differ. Some say the committee should be pick the 8 teams without AQ that have the best chance at winning the National Championship. I think thats what the committee bylaws actually say. Others are of your opinion.

Stang Fever
November 11th, 2006, 09:33 PM
There's no BCS hierarchy in I-AA where there is some sort of mathematical number that defines the championship. USD can only play the schools the schedule provides them, and so far they have met every test.

At this point, the answer is yes.

Explain HOW???

Your saying if the biggest kid in school picked on all the nerds and four eyes in school(hopefully this doesnt offend some of you) that they are the best fighter at the school.

You ever heard the saying Pick on someone your own size. They say it for a reason. USD is picking on these sorry sorry teams. Yes they beat and blew out all these teams. well I think Sac St, Southern Utah could have a record like that with this schedule.

ravens
November 11th, 2006, 09:44 PM
[QUOTE=Stang Fever]
USD is picking on these sorry sorry teams. Yes they beat and blew out all these teams. /QUOTE]

USD didn't hand pick their schedule. They play in a I-AA conference.

danefan
November 11th, 2006, 09:46 PM
[QUOTE=Stang Fever]
USD is picking on these sorry sorry teams. Yes they beat and blew out all these teams. /QUOTE]

They did pick their OOC schedule just like every other PFL, NEC, and MAAC team did.

DFW HOYA
November 11th, 2006, 09:48 PM
[QUOTE=ravens]
They did pick their OOC schedule just like every other PFL, NEC, and MAAC team did.

However, being in San Diego, their options are limited. It's not like they can bus over to McNeese or UDel...

Stang Fever
November 11th, 2006, 09:51 PM
[QUOTE=Stang Fever]

my complaint is not with the conference. well it kind of is. but thats not the most important part. they did hand pick there ooc schedule. had plenty of time to pick some decent teams. there are over 100 teams to play against in I-AA alone you can find teams better then Azusa Pacific and Dixie st and even Yale( who I dont even think is all that good, they are a middle of the pack Ivy league team) but I would rather USD have played teams the same level as Yale. is it that much to ask for someone to play 3 decent teams when you know your conference is a joke.

danefan
November 11th, 2006, 09:51 PM
[QUOTE=danefan]

However, being in San Diego, their options are limited. It's not like they can bus over to McNeese or UDel...

Oh c'mon.:nono:
Plenty of IAA teams out west to get 2 decent OOC games.
I'm sure they would be some money games too!
The fact that Albany traveled to Montana in 2002 is proof thereof.

Stang Fever
November 11th, 2006, 09:53 PM
[QUOTE=danefan]

Dont give me that crap. San Diego has a major airport. little did you know that Poly has to drive 2 hours to the closest airport in San Jose to get to there away games cause there is no major airport around so that excuess is shot down

usdtoreros
November 11th, 2006, 09:53 PM
49-7 San Diego

Josh Johnson with 7 total TDs (4 passing, 2 rushing, 1 receiving)

DFW HOYA
November 11th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Dont give me that crap. San Diego has a major airport. little did you know that Poly has to drive 2 hours to the closest airport in San Jose to get to there away games cause there is no major airport around so that excuess is shot down

Cal Poly likely has the ability to get guarantees or some sort of travel compensation for games. What school would pay to play USD at home?

danefan
November 11th, 2006, 09:55 PM
49-7 San Diego

Wow. Did anyone else on USD play or did Johnson play 1 on 11? Did Harbaugh throw the TD to Johnson?:D

danefan
November 11th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Cal Poly likely has the ability to get guarantees or some sort of travel compensation for games. What school would pay to play USD at home?

Well Montana paid Albany $100,000 in 2002.

Stang Fever
November 11th, 2006, 10:01 PM
49-7 San Diego

Josh Johnson for the Payton...You heard it hear first
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

He is putting up crazy numbers. I mean look at todays game 7 total tds against one of I-AA's best teams in the nation Dayton. Man he is hands down the best qb in the nation doing that. Its like some how he does this week in and week out. Will any QB out there in the nation please step up and make this Payton race close. The Steve Walkers of the world who are playing the worst teams in the nation and putting up good numbers isnt even on the same page as Josh Johnson. David Ball who, you have put up all those numbers against no body how can he even make it on the Payton list. So what if YSU running back is having a good season, he is playing in a joke of a conference. I would hope that he would put up numbers like that

My vote is for Josh Johnson who is putting up the best numbers in the nation by far. xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

danefan
November 11th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Josh Johnson for the Payton...You heard it hear first
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

He is putting up crazy numbers. I mean look at todays game 7 total tds against one of I-AA's best teams in the nation Dayton. Man he is hands down the best qb in the nation doing that. Its like some how he does this week in and week out. Will any QB out there in the nation please step up and make this Payton race close. The Steve Walkers of the world who are playing the worst teams in the nation and putting up good numbers isnt even on the same page as Josh Johnson. David Ball who, you have put up all those numbers against no body how can he even make it on the Payton list. So what if YSU running back is having a good season, he is playing in a joke of a conference. I would hope that he would put up numbers like that

My vote is for Josh Johnson who is putting up the best numbers in the nation by far.

I'm far from a USD fan....but 7 total TDs in any game is an accomplishment that shouldn't be devalued. Congrats to USD on winning the PFL and congrats to Johnson on a great season.

ereiz03
November 11th, 2006, 10:05 PM
56-7 USD, 2 minutes left in the 3rd

Stang Fever
November 11th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Your so right. 7 td is a lot. I would take it too.

BisonBacker
November 11th, 2006, 10:13 PM
[QUOTE=danefan]

Well NDSU has an open date next year thanks to the MSU buyout so let them come up to Fargo to play and we can see just how good they are.

FlyYtown
November 11th, 2006, 10:18 PM
NDSU @ YSU
You think it can happen... As I understand, we have an open date the same week and will soon be conference foes I am told.

siugrad99
November 11th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Yep Dayton sure is a 1AA powerhouse... Please you non-scholarship morons give it up. I'm sorry your programs don't have the funds to put out enough scholarships to be competitive week in and week out in the power conferences, but to make statements like Dayton is a 1A power is laughable. You will see the difference between Scholarship & Non Scholarship when USD gets spanked "IF" they are lucky enough to screw someone else who is more deserving and make the playoffs. Get sent to Montana and sent home with their helmets shoved up their behinds.

Steven Bryant
November 11th, 2006, 10:24 PM
USD's OOC is weak, there's no question. The thing I think stops them from scheduling stronger is the lack of teams near by. Today's Union Tribune mentioned how their travel cost savings from switching from Pioneer to Great West would cover 1/3rd of the scholarships they need. With very few 1-AA teams in the area, I can see why they aren't travelling all over playing anyone.

I'm not trying to defend their schedule completely, but I think the team is given a budget, and they have to do with it what they can. I'm sure they'd have scheduled better if they could have. Just as I'm sure they would have taken Davis earlier in the season if the schedules matched up, this game was only scheduled last year.

Also, Azusa is traditional rivalry, I assume they'll have them on their schedule no matter what.

I don't see USD's schedule improving anytime soon.

GGASU
November 11th, 2006, 10:31 PM
I don't understand the love affair with scholarships.

Didn't Colgate make it to the finals a couple years ago as a non-scholly team?

Stang Fever
November 11th, 2006, 10:33 PM
I dont know did they???

Mountaineer
November 11th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Yup, Colgate made it to the NC in 2003.

Got beat 40-0 by Delaware.

Stang Fever
November 11th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Well they made it to the NC that says a lot. who did they beat to get to the playoffs???? is a better question

Mountaineer
November 11th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Colgate 19, Massachusetts 7

Colgate 28, Western Ill. 27

Colgate 36, Fla. Atlantic 24

DFW HOYA
November 11th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Well they made it to the NC that says a lot. who did they beat to get to the playoffs???? is a better question

Colgate defeated Buffalo (I-A), Princeton, Yale, Dartmouth and Cornell.

In the playoffs, Colgate defeated UMass, Western illinois, and Florida Atlantic.

gophoenix
November 11th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Yes,
Mars Hills is a scholarship team in D-II. So is Presbyterian in D-II. So are many of the other D-II schools that lots of the I-AA teams play.

My beef is with a team playing nobodies all year making the playoffs when so many other teams put forth a schedule that at least tries to play teams that aim for the playoffs.

San Diego has filled their schedule with schools that have never gunned for the playoffs or don't (ie Yale) and expect the rest of us to have a sympathetic ear.

I am sorry, but too many of the schools that were either Indies 5-8 years ago or are in the 8 traditional automatic bid conferences have played the same teams that USD has filled their schedule with and had those games count against us for getting a playoff bid.

For instance, Elon in 1999 went 9-2. That is 7-2 discounting 2 D-II teams in North Alabama and New Haven (who were both Top 25 DII that year, beside the point though). But the Morehead State game, that was a blowout in itseld, was counted AGAINST them even though they beat 3 ranked teams including 2 that went to the playoffs and lost close games to two other playoff teams that year.

So please forgive me if I don't see this whole San Diego fiasco and think that they are the best offense in the country or deserve a playoff bid. It has been proven time and again that most everyone else can play the teams that USD has and win easily or more easily than they have this year.

Stang Fever
November 11th, 2006, 10:43 PM
what was there schedule before the playoffs. sounds like they had a decent strength of schedule. lets compare there to USD

Go...gate
November 11th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Colgate defeated Buffalo (I-A), Princeton, Yale, Dartmouth and Cornell.

In the playoffs, Colgate defeated UMass, Western illinois, and Florida Atlantic.

And Colgate is not really "non-scholarship" in football. We give need-based "Equivalencies" to football recruits (Colgate 13, where are you?????) The Ivy League does the same thing. It is something like a scholarship by another name.

SDFan
November 11th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Look, the way i see it, should a third place in league get in over SD?

Personally i say no, becaue that league's champion already beat them.

In no way am i saying San Diego has a hard enough schedule though, but that's the way I view it. I'm old school in that regards, like the old tourney used to be- had to win confrence.

BisonBacker
November 11th, 2006, 11:17 PM
NDSU @ YSU
You think it can happen... As I understand, we have an open date the same week and will soon be conference foes I am told.
I'm hoping on both accounts :thumbsup:

Johnny5
November 12th, 2006, 03:53 AM
LOL, calling the IVY league a bunch of crud teams?

correct sir I am. On any given saturday no one in the IVY could hold a candle to the top tier programs of the Gateway, A-10, Big Sky conferences. If you don't want to sit at the kiddie table for the rest of your life, you have to step up your game. Some programs do...some don't.:twocents:

Torero Tradition
November 12th, 2006, 04:30 AM
Just got back from celebrating... congrats to USD... it is quite apparent that some people just don't get it.... hate on USD all you want... this is a playoff caliber team.

Torero Tradition
November 12th, 2006, 04:31 AM
Hell of a game by Johnson.... wow!

Stang Fever
November 12th, 2006, 04:38 AM
You are basing that assestment off of Dayton and the rest of the cupcakes....You are being fooled by the lack of talent on the other side of the ball. yes this team is far and above better then the rest of those teams. but when a team cant say that they have had even one challenging game. that says two things.

1- you are playing teams far below your ability
and
2nd - You need to play better teams to get a fair assestment of how good you really are.

I mean not even one close game.

Torero Tradition
November 12th, 2006, 04:55 AM
Good season Cal Poly, sorry about not making the playoffs this year.

CollegeObserver
November 12th, 2006, 06:57 AM
The folks in Central NJ will look forward to seeing you on 12/2. Safe travels.

BeauFoster
November 12th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Look, the way i see it, should a third place in league get in over SD?

Personally i say no, becaue that league's champion already beat them.

In no way am i saying San Diego has a hard enough schedule though, but that's the way I view it. I'm old school in that regards, like the old tourney used to be- had to win confrence.

I guess that Furman didn't belong last year since they were beaten by the SoCon champs. They only made it to the semifinals of the tourney. Please think before you type:)

ChickenMan
November 12th, 2006, 08:21 AM
I also remember a UMass team that finished 3rd in the A10... made the playoffs and won the I-AA title.

Torero Tradition
November 12th, 2006, 12:46 PM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/usd/20061111-9999-1s11usdfoot.html

Even most nonscholarship programs find ways to support student-athletes through need-based scholarships – which is the model for the Pioneer Football League, of which USD is a member. But USD's guidelines are more restrictive than most...

“When I took this job, there was a vision, a plan,” said Harbaugh. “I didn't know where all the speed bumps were. A lot of people didn't even know we had football. Now we've got games on radio and TV. We're looking to get a band. Ticket sales have improved. Our success has us on the move.”

Don't look for USD to start giving out scholarships or bolting the far-flung PFL for something more regional and competitive such as the Division I-AA Great West Conference.

USD's first football game in 1956 was also the first game played by the Air Force Academy. A year later, coach Bob McCutcheon arrived at Alcala Park aiming to turn USD into “the Notre Dame of the West.”

Torero Tradition
November 12th, 2006, 12:54 PM
America's Finest City... might just have America's finest team; the San Diego Toreros of the University of San Diego have turned in a magical season thus far... making Alcala Park up on the hill of Linda Vista a very special place with a special football team. They have left it all on the field and make one heck of a case. The amount of pressue they just put on the Selection Committee with last's nights victory was huge.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/usd/20061112-9999-1s12usdfoot.html

"Case made,” Harbaugh said last night after USD handed the eight-time PFL champions their worst loss in 31 years.

“They should not overlook this team. I don't think there are many Division 1-AA teams that can beat this team, especially the way we played tonight. “That was special. Explosive. The way we played . . . we really made it happen.”

When asked what argument might be used to keep the Toreros out of the playoffs, Harbaugh was clear.

“It would have to be a bias thing,” he said. “We're a nonscholarship program. If they look at us and the special way we play, that can't be a valid argument.”

USD safety Chris McBride said: “No one knows what we can do. Our motive is to get to the playoffs and prove ourselves.”

“That was a statement game,” said Harbaugh.

Torero Tradition
November 12th, 2006, 01:01 PM
USD will now rely on their play on the field (amazing this year!), stats (unbelievable!), rankings (in every poll and playoff indicated) to get selected as an at-large.

Guard Dawg
November 12th, 2006, 01:02 PM
I'll admit, the Toreros sounded pretty good last night.

Guard Dawg
November 12th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Harbaugh calling out the Old Guard?!

Torero Tradition
November 12th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Toreros will benefit greatly by the huge loss Cal Poly suffered as well as Chuck South losing. If Montana beats MSU, it will get even better.

Torero Tradition
November 12th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Toreros are clicking on all cylinders. It is really fun to see, i hope everyone gets a chance to see them on ESPN this year in the playoffs.

cosmo here
November 12th, 2006, 01:19 PM
USD safety Chris McBride said: “No one knows what we can do. Our motive is to get to the playoffs and prove ourselves.”

you would have to agree with Mr. McBride, he knows what's up

No_Skill
November 12th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Toreros are clicking on all cylinders. It is really fun to see, i hope everyone gets a chance to see them on ESPN this year in the playoffs.

I believe the metaphor is "firing on all cylinders". If your engine is clicking you may need to see a mechanic. :rotateh:

griz37
November 12th, 2006, 01:26 PM
America's finest team? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

BigApp
November 12th, 2006, 01:27 PM
America's Finest City... might just have America's finest team

Finally, we have something to agree on.

Boone IS America's Finest City, and have America's current top-ranked I-AA team!:nod: :nod: :nod:

Torero Tradition
November 12th, 2006, 01:28 PM
I believe the metaphor is "firing on all cylinders". If your engine is clicking you may need to see a mechanic. :rotateh:

I appreciate your humor, that was a good one :smiley_wi

Out of curiosity, what is your take on the Toreros. You think they are a playoff caliber team?

BigApp
November 12th, 2006, 01:32 PM
you forgot one (conveniently, I'm certain):

Strength of Schedule (one of the worst in all Division I)

UMass922
November 12th, 2006, 01:38 PM

I'd really like to see them; sounds like they're a lot of fun to watch. I hope the Gridiron Classic gets televised.

Stang Fever
November 12th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Who knows if they are a Playoff Caliber team. they have not played anyone were you can make that type of assesment

Torero Tradition
November 12th, 2006, 01:40 PM
You played them and can't beat them... our turn to try :)

Torero Tradition
November 12th, 2006, 01:42 PM
10-0, conference champions... big win over a solid Yale team... and then you have to look at the fashion in which they win. Then taking their schedule into consideration you look at how impressive it is that they have been able to climb that high in all the rankings. The odds were stacked against them, but the Toreros have prevailed.

Cincy App
November 12th, 2006, 01:43 PM
TT, a team has to prove its worth on the field to earn a playoff spot. I expect the Toreros to have 2 games remaining - vs. UCD and Monmouth. A team earns a playoff spot by scheduling and beating top teams. USD may be a very good team - but no one knows. USD had control of its non-conference schedule but chose to schedule a decent Yale team and a couple cream puffs. The committee will likely review those games with your non-scholarship conference slate and keep you out. Then, Harbaugh needs to direct his anger at himself and your AD. Beating Dayton does not make USD a playoff team. Learn from your scheduling mistakes and prove it against top I-AA (or CS) teams on the field next season.

Guard Dawg
November 12th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Does UC Davis have a game this week? It's too bad USD and Davis didn't have their game scheduled for this upcoming weekend, the final one before the teams are picked for the playoffs.

DFW HOYA
November 12th, 2006, 01:55 PM
The patrician attitudes against schools like USD is ridiculous.

The same people looked at Colgate a few years ago and thought there was no chance they'd go to the finals. Yet, there are people to this day who will tell you that teams like Colgate don't even deserve a place now. Why? Because their $2.8M a year in spending is based on need rather than merit, simple as that.

Give USD a shot. They may surprise a lot of you.

BigApp
November 12th, 2006, 01:59 PM
DFW, did/do you think Charleston Southern is a playoff team?

FargoBison
November 12th, 2006, 02:08 PM

The same people looked at Colgate a few years ago and thought there was no chance they'd go to the finals. Yet, there are people to this day who will tell you that teams like Colgate don't even deserve a place now. Why? Because their $2.8M a year in spending is based on need rather than merit, simple as that.

USD was 10-1 and didn't make the playoffs last year because they didn't have a tough schedule. This year they put togather an even weaker schedule so when they get left out they have nobody to blame but themselves. I am sure Harbaugh will go around calling USD the best in I-AA but thats only going to make them look like a complete joke to the people who matter in I-AA, people who give respect only when it's earned. Teams that want an at large bid shouldn't have to suprise me to make it look like they belong because they should have already proven that they belong in the regular season.

placidlakegriz
November 12th, 2006, 02:28 PM

Thats why they wont make into the final 16, they're just clicking.

November 12th, 2006, 02:36 PM
... Give USD a shot...The selection committee does not "give" teams a shot, teams have to earn it. There are no gifts in the field of 16.

Torero Tradition
November 12th, 2006, 02:42 PM
USD has earned it

UMass922
November 12th, 2006, 02:51 PM

If USD is given a shot, I will not be surprised if they do well, for the same reason that I will not be surprised if they do poorly. This is because they have simply played too few games (either one or zero, depending on one's view of Yale) against solid I-AA competition. We have no way of knowing how well they stack up with playoff-caliber teams. This is why they are not deserving of an at-large bid to the playoffs. By playing a much weaker schedule than the other teams competing for at-large berths, San Diego has given us little evidence to gauge how they compare to those teams.

And the benefit of the doubt must be given to the teams that have provided substantial positive evidence that they can compete--rather than to a team (San Diego) about whom the best we can say is that we don't know that they can't compete.

San Diego might be better than some of the teams that make the playoffs--heck, they might be better than all of them. But that doesn't mean San Diego deserves a playoff berth. You can't speculate a team into the playoffs. That team has to earn its way into the playoffs. And it does that by playing and beating playoff-caliber teams during the regular season.

November 12th, 2006, 02:51 PM
USD has earned itThat's for the selection committee to decide.

November 12th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Remember their criteria.

USD schedule (with GPI rank)
at Azusa Pacific Not D-I
Dixie State Not D-I
at #22 Yale
at #94T Davidson
#118 Butler
#121 Valparaiso
at #64 Drake
#112 Morehead State
at #106 Jacksonville
#109 Dayton

Mr. C
November 12th, 2006, 03:09 PM
[QUOTE=ravens]

my complaint is not with the conference. well it kind of is. but thats not the most important part. they did hand pick there ooc schedule. had plenty of time to pick some decent teams. there are over 100 teams to play against in I-AA alone you can find teams better then Azusa Pacific and Dixie st and even Yale( who I dont even think is all that good, they are a middle of the pack Ivy league team) but I would rather USD have played teams the same level as Yale. is it that much to ask for someone to play 3 decent teams when you know your conference is a joke.
Yale, a middle of the pack Ivy League school? Yale is tied for first place in the Ivy League and just lost its first league game on Saturday. By the way, th Ivy League is very good and very deep this year.

danefan
November 12th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Remember their criteria.

USD schedule (with GPI rank)
at Azusa Pacific Not D-I
Dixie State Not D-I
at #22 Yale
at #94T Davidson
#118 Butler
#121 Valparaiso
at #64 Drake
#112 Morehead State
at #106 Jacksonville
#109 Dayton

These are GPI rankings next to their opponents correct?

Mr. C
November 12th, 2006, 03:12 PM
USD will now rely on their play on the field (amazing this year!), stats (unbelievable!), rankings (in every poll and playoff indicated) to get selected as an at-large.
I hope you are not too disappointed next Sunday when San Diego is sitting on the sidelines. A playoff berth isn't going to happen for the Toreros (that's what my sources are telling me). There will be four-loss team that make it before San Diego. Better start preparing for the Gridiron Classic.

Mr. C
November 12th, 2006, 03:14 PM
you forgot one (conveniently, I'm certain):

Strength of Schedule (one of the worst in all Division I)
Which is exactly what the committee is already letting people know. Better listen to what the committee members are saying this week. SoS is extremely important.

PaladinFan
November 12th, 2006, 03:17 PM
I guess that Furman didn't belong last year since they were beaten by the SoCon champs. They only made it to the semifinals of the tourney. Please think before you type:)

Furman beat App State. :eyebrow:

November 12th, 2006, 03:22 PM
These are GPI rankings next to their opponents correct?last week's GPI rank...

PaladinFan
November 12th, 2006, 03:24 PM
I know when you think "west" teams you think Montana, Cal Poly, etc. In IAA "west" refers to just about any team not in the SoCon, Big South, A10 or Meac.

How much longer do we have to put up with this stuff? Other fledgling programs have bided their time, waited their turn, strengthened their schedule, and proved to the IAA world they can play with the best. USD has not.

ravens
November 12th, 2006, 03:25 PM
last week's GPI rank...

what was USD's rank?

danefan
November 12th, 2006, 03:25 PM
How much longer do we have to put up with this stuff?

I guess until the selection committee speaks.xcoffeex

danefan
November 12th, 2006, 03:26 PM
what was SDU's rank?

If you mean USD (San Diego) then it was 13th....i believe

ravens
November 12th, 2006, 03:27 PM
last week's GPI rank...

What where the rankings of Chuck South's opponents?

I think Chuck South's schedule was pretty weak also, wasn't it?

youwouldno
November 12th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Here is Portland State's:

at New Mexico (5-4 against I-A)-- Sag would be #7 in I-AA
#92 Northern Colorado
at Cal (7-2 against I-A)
at #48 Weber St
#3 Montana
at #18 Montana State
#68 Idaho State
#56 E Washington
at Oregon (6-3 against I-A)
at #33 N Arizona
at #40 Sac State

November 12th, 2006, 03:28 PM
I know when you think "west" teams you think Montana, Cal Poly, etc. In IAA "west" refers to just about any team not in the SoCon, Big South, A10 or Meac...What about the SWAC, NEC, Patriot League, OVC, Gateway, MAAC, Ivy League? Really the west ones are the SLC, Great West and Big Sky. The PFL is just all over.

ravens
November 12th, 2006, 03:29 PM
If you mean USD (San Diego) then it was 13th....i believe
Sounds like GPI thinks they are good enough to go to the dance.....even if their opponents weren't.

ravens
November 12th, 2006, 03:35 PM
If USD is given a shot, I will not be surprised if they do well, for the same reason that I will not be surprised if they do poorly. This is because they have simply played too few games (either one or zero, depending on one's view of Yale) against solid I-AA competition. We have no way of knowing how well they stack up with playoff-caliber teams.

Agree, we don't know if they would get blown out in the 1st round or advance deep. I do know that if they get in and make it all the way to Nooga all us AGS posters will be eating crow for Christmas...xlolx xlolx xlolx

November 12th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Sounds like GPI thinks they are good enough to go to the dance.....even if their opponents weren't.Well it explains a bit about how USD went undefeated but only played 10 games.

Playoff Selection Indicated by the GPI last week...
*1. Massachusetts (1.78)
*2. Appalachian St (2.11)
*3T. Montana (3.56)
3T. James Madison (3.56)
*6. Youngstown St (5.78)
7. Illinois St (7.33)
8. Cal Poly (11.56)
9. New Hampshire (12.11)
10. Northern Iowa (12.89)
11. Portland St (13.56)
*12. TN Martin (13.78)
13. San Diego (14.44)
14. Maine (14.67)
*25. Hampton (25.22)
*36. Lehigh (33.00)
*41. Sam Houston St (36.33)

Bubble
16T. S Illinois (17.89)
16T. Furman (17.89)
18T. Montana St (18.33)
23. Towson (23.56)
24. Wofford (25.11)

You can bet that the GPI this week will look different.

ravens
November 12th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Well it explains a bit about how USD went undefeated but only played 10 games.

Can you run Chuck South's schedule? It was pretty weak also, no?

November 12th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Can you run Chuck South's schedule? It was pretty weak also, no?CSU's schedule (with GPI rank)
at Presbyterian Not D-I
at #51 The Citadel
Wingate Not D-I
No. Greenville Not D-I
at #120 Savannah State
Edward Waters Not D-I
#102 VMI
#103 Georgetown
#52 Gardner-Webb
at #72 Liberty
at #27 Coastal Carolina (playing this week)

7. Big South Conference (45.98)
27. Coastal Carolina (26.22)
32. Charleston So (28.67)
52. Gardner Webb (43.44)
72. Liberty (55.44)
102. VMI (76.11)

15. Pioneer Football League (69.60)
13. San Diego (14.44)
64. Drake (50.78)
94T. Davidson (71.56)
106. Jacksonville (78.89)
109. Dayton (81.22)
112. Morehead St (83.78)
118. Butler (87.00)
121. Valparaiso (89.11)

MU Alum
November 12th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Well it explains a bit about how USD went undefeated but only played 10 games.

Playoff Selection Indicated by the GPI last week...
*1. Massachusetts (1.78)
*2. Appalachian St (2.11)
*3T. Montana (3.56)
3T. James Madison (3.56)
*6. Youngstown St (5.78)
7. Illinois St (7.33)
8. Cal Poly (11.56)
9. New Hampshire (12.11)
10. Northern Iowa (12.89)
11. Portland St (13.56)
*12. TN Martin (13.78)
13. San Diego (14.44)
14. Maine (14.67)
*25. Hampton (25.22)
*36. Lehigh (33.00)
*41. Sam Houston St (36.33)

Bubble
16T. S Illinois (17.89)
16T. Furman (17.89)
18T. Montana St (18.33)
23. Towson (23.56)
24. Wofford (25.11)

You can bet that the GPI this week will look different.

Why isn't Monmouth Considered a bubble team Ralph? 10-1, went up to Albany this week dominated on Offensivel against a very good D and shutout out a team who has wins over Lehigh and Delaware, both on the Road. MU's Defense also shutdown I-AA's best rusher (Justice Hairston) from CCCSU, a team who beat Georgia Souther at Georgia Southern. MU also shut down Payton Nominee and preseason all American Jordan Scott in a win up at Colgate early in the year and Pre Season All Patriot RB Scott Prydatko at Fordham.

TEN D-I wins. Somehow not ranked in the Top 25 and not even considered a bubble team by the guy who runs the this I-AA site.
Come on.

danefan
November 12th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Why isn't Monmouth Considered a bubble team Ralph? 10-1, went up to Albany this week dominated on Offensivel against a very good D and shutout out a team who has wins over Lehigh and Delaware, both on the Road. MU's Defense also shutdown I-AA's best rusher (Justice Hairston) from CCCSU, a team who beat Georgia Souther at Georgia Southern. MU also shut down Payton Nominee and preseason all American Jordan Scott in a win up at Colgate early in the year and Pre Season All Patriot RB Scott Prydatko at Fordham.

TEN D-I wins. Somehow not ranked in the Top 25 and not even considered a bubble team by the guy who runs the this I-AA site.
Come on.

These aren't his choices. These are based solely on GPI. Taking the top 8 GPIs that don't get an at large.

November 12th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Why isn't Monmouth Considered a bubble team Ralph?...Oh it is, I just listed from the top 25. Monmouth is at #46.

13. Northeast Conference (65.06)
46. Monmouth (41.00)
58. Albany (47.00)
69. Central Conn (54.33)
79. Stony Brook (61.22)
87. Robert Morris (66.56)
108. Wagner (81.00)
111. Sacred Ht (83.56)
115. St Francis (85.78)

ravens
November 12th, 2006, 03:55 PM
CSU's schedule (with GPI rank)
at Presbyterian Not D-I
at #51 The Citadel
Wingate Not D-I
No. Greenville Not D-I
at #120 Savannah State
Edward Waters Not D-I
#102 VMI
#103 Georgetown
#52 Gardner-Webb
at #72 Liberty
at #27 Coastal Carolina (playing this week)

So only " quality" wins were Citadel and G-W. And 4 D2 games ??:cool:
Talk about OOC scheduling !!!!

November 12th, 2006, 03:59 PM
So only " quality" wins were Citadel and G-W. And 4 D2 games ??:cool:
Talk about OOC scheduling !!!!Well with the loss they are out of it with no chance of seven D-I wins. They had a chance prior to that.

MU Alum
November 12th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Oh it is, I just listed from the top 25. Monmouth is at #46.

13. Northeast Conference (65.06)
46. Monmouth (41.00)
58. Albany (47.00)
69. Central Conn (54.33)
79. Stony Brook (61.22)
87. Robert Morris (66.56)
108. Wagner (81.00)
111. Sacred Ht (83.56)
115. St Francis (85.78)

OK, thanks. Where do you think MU will be in next weeks GPI?

November 12th, 2006, 04:01 PM
OK, thanks. Where do you think MU will be in next weeks GPI?well you beat #58 convincingly so... no comment but #42 Lafayette made it last year.

ravens
November 12th, 2006, 04:03 PM
[QUOTE=ralph]well you beat #58 convincingly so... no comment/QUOTE]

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

UMass922
November 12th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Agree, we don't know if they would get blown out in the 1st round or advance deep. I do know that if they get in and make it all the way to Nooga all us AGS posters will be eating crow for Christmas...xlolx xlolx xlolx

The only ones who would be eating crow would be those who are predicting that USD will fare poorly in the playoffs if awarded a berth. I, for one, have made no such claim/prediction. As I've said, for all I know USD might be a very good team capable of going all the way. I have merely argued that USD's regular-season resume is not playoff-worthy, and there's nothing USD could do in the playoffs--including running the table--that would make that any less true.

ravens
November 12th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Well with the loss they are out of it with no chance of seven D-I wins. They had a chance prior to that.

So why would they have been a contender and not San Diego? Chuck South had 4 non DI games vs. 2 for San Diego, and both had weak conference wins.

Mr. C
November 12th, 2006, 04:11 PM
The only ones who would be eating crow would be those who are predicting that USD will fare poorly in the playoffs if awarded a berth. I, for one, have made no such claim/prediction. As I've said, for all I know USD might be a very good team capable of going all the way. I have merely argued that USD's regular-season resume is not playoff-worthy, and there's nothing USD could do in the playoffs--including running the table--that would make that any less true.
That post states the argument about as well as anyone has. We don't hate USD and we are not saying that the Toreros are not a good team, just that their schedule isn't deserving of a playoff bid.

The Cats
November 12th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I thought you guys had your own board now? this is the kind of stuff you should be talking about on it, no one else cares if the city of SD is ready for the playoff.

November 12th, 2006, 04:18 PM
So why would they have been a contender and not San Diego?...never said that. CSU had to hope by beating a SoCon team and a decent BSO sched the committee would overlook 4 non-D-I games... still a chance.

ravens
November 12th, 2006, 04:20 PM
I thought you guys had your own board now? this is the kind of stuff you should be talking about on it, no one else cares if the city of SD is ready for the playoff.

Don't think the " city" of Whee is ready for a playoff even with the stadium improvements. Do we still have the Hardees?:D

Go...gate
November 12th, 2006, 04:47 PM

I agree; however, I believe Monmouth equally deserves a shot.