PDA

View Full Version : Indiana State at Western Illinois

Sycamore62
November 21st, 2014, 08:38 AM
Does anyone have any matchup comparisons? Ive looked at some stats and results but I cant get a feel for how these teams will look against each other.

Weather supposed to be 51 with possible rain and 15 mph wind from one endzone

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 21st, 2014, 08:45 AM
Huge game for the Sycs. Win and they are most likely in the playoff field. Ind State has a pretty good resume so far to be included in the field.

Western is better than their record but I suspect if the Sycs go in and do not turn the ball over, they should win the game..

ST_Lawson
November 21st, 2014, 09:06 AM
Should be a pretty small crowd for the game. Students will have mostly gone home for Thanksgiving break (they're off all next week). The athletics department is running a promotion though where your football ticket also gets you free admission to that evening's men's basketball game against Southeastern Louisiana, so that might bring out a few more people. But really, it's going to be mostly the band, the player's parents and families (especially the seniors) and a few "die-hards" like myself.

I think the biggest question is whether we are able to prevent ISU's QB Perish from getting into any sort of passing rhythm. ISU doesn't have much of a running game, and we have a pretty decent run defense, so I'm not too worried about that aspect (there's no Zenners on ISU's team). I think rain probably helps us, since we don't rely on the passing game as much as ISU does.

If ISU was playing just about anyone else, I'd root for them so there'd be more representation of the conference in the playoffs and because ISU is traditionally the "underdog". Can't do it this weekend though.

RabidRabbit
November 21st, 2014, 09:26 AM
Western has talent, but didn't have it in the trenches in icy Coughlin. Some amazingly well thrown passes by Western last week. ISU-B does pretty well in trenches vs anyone w/o Dakota St in their names.

ISU-B has played more top 25/FBS teams, with more success, than any team not seeded. It would be a travesty if the team with the best turnaround this season and 7 D-I W get left home. Saturday's game is where ISU needs to make that statement game and lock into the play-offs.

Western - any league but MVFC likely a top half team. Good foundation for next year.

Sycamore62
November 21st, 2014, 09:42 AM
I think the wind will have more effect than the rain

CappinHard
November 21st, 2014, 10:01 AM
Huge game for the Sycs. Win and they are most likely in the playoff field. Ind State has a pretty good resume so far to be included in the field..

When you say this, are you assuming that MVFC gets 5 teams in? I honestly think that if MVFC only gets 4 in, SDSU would get the nod over ISUb because of 2 things: 1. Head to head win 2. SDSU's absence of Sumner for most of the season. Trust me, I am not one that wants to see this happen, I am just predicting what will happen if the committee chooses to only take 4 from the valley, which I feel would be wrong. Now, if the guins do the unthinkable... I think the valley gets 5 in without a doubt.

clenz
November 21st, 2014, 10:11 AM
When you say this, are you assuming that MVFC gets 5 teams in? I honestly think that if MVFC only gets 4 in, SDSU would get the nod over ISUb because of 2 things: 1. Head to head win 2. SDSU's absence of Sumner for most of the season. Trust me, I am not one that wants to see this happen, I am just predicting what will happen if the committee chooses to only take 4 from the valley, which I feel would be wrong. Now, if the guins do the unthinkable... I think the valley gets 5 in without a doubt.
Listen to the fcs wedge this week. Listen to what Jim ODay predicted

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sycamore62
November 21st, 2014, 10:33 AM

I hope you are wrong. I'd go with the FBS win, the win over UNI and the 1pt last fg loss to ISUr without our starting QB and 8D1wins

edit: To add, are you saying that ISUb or SDSU will be the 24th team picked? I guess for me to make a decision, I'd have to know if the committee actually doesnt look at conference after the Autobid (I know they say they dont). I'd take our team vs any other team that got whatever they think the minimum win-loss schedule is to get a bid

CappinHard
November 21st, 2014, 11:26 AM
Listen to the fcs wedge this week. Listen to what Jim ODay predicted

I listened to it while I was working, so maybe I missed it, but I didn't hear him specifically address SDSU, ISUb, or how many teams the MVFC will get in. Can you sum up what you are referring to? Also, is it just me or does the host sound a lot like Danny McBride? That was my first time listening to it.

CappinHard
November 21st, 2014, 11:29 AM
I hope you are wrong. I'd go with the FBS win, the win over UNI and the 1pt last fg loss to ISUr without our starting QB and 8D1wins

edit: To add, are you saying that ISUb or SDSU will be the 24th team picked? I guess for me to make a decision, I'd have to know if the committee actually doesnt look at conference after the Autobid (I know they say they dont). I'd take our team vs any other team that got whatever they think the minimum win-loss schedule is to get a bid

So do you think ISUb will get picked over SDSU if MVFC only gets 4 teams in? I'm not saying that either team will be the 24th team picked. I'll guarantee that the committee tries not to take too many from one conference. Like I said, I think MVFC deserves 5, but I am debating on who will get picked if they only get 4.

RabidRabbit
November 21st, 2014, 11:35 AM
Likewise, if you take out 7-5 MVFC teams should UNI, ISU-B, YSU lose, tell me ANY team that will have ONE top 25 (Massey or Sagarin) win and an 8 D-I win total. If I remember correctly there are none that wouldn't be selected. All other candidates do not have WINS over other possible contenders. Whereas, MVFC have multiple games and multiple wins over top 25 and other potential candidates.

Bubble teams, or at larges have bad losses also, and especially vs how the MVFC teams beat the common opponent.

Examples: EKU - They're likely in. Yet they lost to Tenn Tech. MVFC teams vs Tenn Tech. UNI 50-7, and would have been much worst. ISU-B -46-17
NAU - losses to bottom teams USD, UNC, UND should doom their chances.

YSU doesn't have a great case at 7-5, losing last three. But would still have more top 25 wins (one or two) than any non-MVFC competitor. If SDSU loses to USD, they don't have the recommended minimum of 7 D-I wins.

Teams should not be penalized for more than one FBS, IF they have the recommended 7 D-I wins. Then the remaining discussion is the SOS and again MVFC, no positive comparison.

Would the Jacks be excluded if Penguins upset Bison? Because that would mean that "gasp" 6 MVFC teams would be 5-3 in MVFC, and 8-4 or better? To me, there is no other teams that could make the case that their performance is better.

I appreciate that for the most part the selectees are probably already slotted, and would only vary some by inserting next up for a team that stumbles.

clenz
November 21st, 2014, 11:43 AM
I listened to it while I was working, so maybe I missed it, but I didn't hear him specifically address SDSU, ISUb, or how many teams the MVFC will get in. Can you sum up what you are referring to? Also, is it just me or does the host sound a lot like Danny McBride? That was my first time listening to it.
The one coming this week...

I don't want to say much but... He disagrees with your 4 sentiment

KUlawJack
November 21st, 2014, 02:17 PM
The one coming this week...

I don't want to say much but... He disagrees with your 4 sentiment

What?!? Are we going to get less??!?!!?!?!?!

Rabble rabble rabble

xlolx

- - - Updated - - -

As for this game, I would think ISU-B wins it after seeing both teams against the Jacks. WIU may just have been off, but they couldn't slow us down on offense at all.

Sycamore62
November 21st, 2014, 03:23 PM
Regarding the game, Lawson had a pretty good rundown on the WIU page. I honestly don't know what to expect. I think we could be sitting at 3-8 really easy right now. On the other hand, its not unreasonable that we could be 8-3 with just a tad more luck. We pass the ball and we had success running the ball against SIU and just enough against YSU to win. Im told WIU has a good running game but their passing yards indicate that they are pretty good with that. I think our run D is pretty good if we just arent outclassed on the line and our pass D is pretty good up front but I've seen some reoccurring holes in it where we were just lucky they didnt catch passes. Now I think ive seen a lot of DB's over the years end up looking good because a WR drops a pass so Ill give them a little leeway but honestly I dont know enough about coverages to really know the cause.

Regarding the playoffs. The question if ISUb should be in before SDSU, I'd pick them but I'm biased. Although I would hate for opposite arguments to be made to put SDSU and UNI in. I understand who they beat and the roll they are on. I also understand who beat us and the roll they are on.

IMO, if I'm on the committee, (keep in mind I am biased and I make no apologies for that) If I'm going to take 2 teams from last year and not feel bad, I can take 5 this year (from the mvfc)

clenz
November 21st, 2014, 03:35 PM
What?!? Are we going to get less??!?!!?!?!?!

Rabble rabble rabble

xlolx

- - - Updated - - -

As for this game, I would think ISU-B wins it after seeing both teams against the Jacks. WIU may just have been off, but they couldn't slow us down on offense at all.
Tune in...

FargoBison
November 21st, 2014, 03:40 PM
The CAA got five teams in the playoffs once and the field was smaller.

Schools earn bids, not conferences. ISUB is a lock if they win, stone cold lock. So is SDSU and so is UNI. Bubble is weak, very weak.

Sycamore62
November 21st, 2014, 03:44 PM

Schools earn bids, not conferences. ISUB is a lock if they win, stone cold lock. So is SDSU and so is UNI. Bubble is weak, very weak.

Not necessarily ISUb, but it wouldnt stun me to see a 7 win team get in

RabidRabbit
November 21st, 2014, 03:54 PM

And an 8-4 YSU, with wins over NDSU & SDSU should be a lock also. Just getting that W in Fargo is

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=hell+freezes+over&id=59ADB76BFE293EF6EDEE082CAD223361EAB539EA&FORM=IQFRBA#view=detail&id=59ADB76BFE293EF6EDEE082CAD223361EAB539EA&selectedIndex=0

NoDak 4 Ever
November 21st, 2014, 04:42 PM
Remember a few years back when it seemed at least 4 were a lock then everybody stepped on their dicks on the final weekend?

Was that 2011 or 2012?

IBleedYellow
November 21st, 2014, 06:16 PM
Tune in...

Seriously, tune in. You guys that think 5 isn't possible will be blown away with what Oday predicts.

Sent from a TI-83+ Calculator

Thumper 76
November 21st, 2014, 08:32 PM
Seriously, tune in. You guys that think 5 isn't possible will be blown away with what Oday predicts.

Sent from a TI-83+ Calculator

The whole conference except usd?!?! That thought makes me giggle like a little girl. In fact, I think that's what MLK's dream was he talked about.

Western_101
November 21st, 2014, 09:17 PM
This is a tough one. ISU should win. Not sure I believe they will.

skinny_uncle
November 21st, 2014, 09:22 PM
Barring upsets, I expect 5 from the Valley to get in. There are at least three who have a chance to blow it this weekend.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 22nd, 2014, 07:15 AM
Barring upsets, I expect 5 from the Valley to get in. There are at least three who have a chance to blow it this weekend.

I think you are right.

NDSU
Ill State
UNI
SDSU
Ind State

a 7-5 SIU team would get consideration IMO.

JayJ79
November 22nd, 2014, 01:31 PM
a 7-5 SIU team would get consideration IMO.

if SIU were to get a win against Illinois State, they'd end up at 6-5 plus an NAIA win.
I'm all for MVFC getting teams in, but is the bubble so weak that a 6 win team in a 12-game season gets an at-large?

JayJ79
November 22nd, 2014, 01:32 PM
watching INS @ WIU on ESPN3. man, the stands look empty.
though there is one person with a cowbell (didn't think those were allowed in MVFC conference games)

clenz
November 22nd, 2014, 01:33 PM
watching INS @ WIU on ESPN3. man, the stands look empty.
though there is one person with a cowbell (didn't think those were allowed in MVFC conference games)
WIU is embarrassingly bad at getting people to games wheb the weather is nice and they aren't fighting to not finish in last place.

Days like today only the "truest of diehards" and family of players are showing up today

centennial
November 22nd, 2014, 01:35 PM
Sad thing is WIU is top half team in a lot of FCS conferences.

clenz
November 22nd, 2014, 01:44 PM
I remember going to the UNI/WIU game in Macomb in 2010 last week of the season. Uni had already sealed the conference title but WIU needed at W and the NDSU/MSU game (the 3-0) game to turn out the way it did to get in... There were more uni than wiu fans there. I don't know the "official" attendance but lead than 2k AIS and more uni purple than wiu purple. Was a pretty nice day as well.

That was for a playoff caliber team. I can only imagine a crowd for this record...

centennial
November 22nd, 2014, 01:54 PM
Indiana State is trying hard to lose this...

Sycamore62
November 22nd, 2014, 02:20 PM
Both WIU lines seem to be in control

centennial
November 22nd, 2014, 02:21 PM
14 WIU
3 ISUb

clenz
November 22nd, 2014, 02:35 PM
Isub is out unless they win by double digits at this point. Terrible showing

Way to screw it up.

This is why you should never trust the sycamores

Sycamore62
November 22nd, 2014, 02:35 PM
Western playd a lot of teams tough for a while. Don't worry

clenz
November 22nd, 2014, 02:38 PM
Western playd a lot of teams tough for a while. Don't worry
I'm not worried.

It's but my team pissing a playoff both away against a bootleg bottom 3 conference team.

Yet...

JayJ79
November 22nd, 2014, 02:39 PM
Isub is out unless they win by double digits at this point.

nah, I doubt the committee looks all that closely at scores.
win and they are in (whether it is by 1 or 21)
lose and they're probably out.

Sycamore62
November 22nd, 2014, 02:41 PM
Ya are they gonna give ndsu a 4 seed because they only won by a td?

clenz
November 22nd, 2014, 02:43 PM
Ya are they gonna give ndsu a 4 seed because they only won by a td?
Completely different resumes and competition

Sycamore62
November 22nd, 2014, 03:06 PM
Completely different resumes and competition

Except I'm not talking about just getting in either

clenz
November 22nd, 2014, 03:09 PM
Except I'm not talking about just getting in either
You better hope you get in.

A L puts your sycs in a bad spot

clenz
November 22nd, 2014, 03:11 PM

clenz
November 22nd, 2014, 03:13 PM
Liberty just beat ccu...

You're out with a L

Sycamore62
November 22nd, 2014, 03:13 PM
You better hope you get in.

A L puts your sycs in a bad spot

no I'm saying a close win for us should get us in
just like a close win for ndsu vs wiu shouldnt keep them from getting a 1 seed

until we win and hear our names tomorrow I'm not making plans for saturday

skinny_uncle
November 22nd, 2014, 03:14 PM
The Trees need a win today in a bad way.

skinny_uncle
November 22nd, 2014, 03:49 PM
Starting to look like only 4 bids for the Valley.
WIU leading 27-12 in the fourth.

Sycamore62
November 22nd, 2014, 03:51 PM
34-12

centennial
November 22nd, 2014, 03:57 PM
Well that's that, **** the bed.

Sycamore62
November 22nd, 2014, 03:58 PM
34-20 7:xx left

Sycamore62
November 22nd, 2014, 04:23 PM
34-20 final

MSUDuo
November 22nd, 2014, 04:25 PM
Starting to look like only 4 bids for the Valley.
WIU leading 27-12 in the fourth.

Could be down to 3 if MO State comes to play today...

JayJ79
November 22nd, 2014, 09:29 PM
official attendance: 1783
(and I wonder how many of those were unused season tickets)

ST_Lawson
November 22nd, 2014, 10:25 PM
official attendance: 1783
(and I wonder how many of those were unused season tickets)

That's actually probably fairly accurate. They've changed the way that they count attendance recently. I think that previously it was unused season tickets, people that randomly walked by the stadium, birds in the tree next to the field, etc. This year though, the reported numbers are significantly down over previous years but it doesn't look like there's that much of a difference in the actual number of people we're seeing in the stands over the last couple of years.

I've been to nearly every home game in the last 18 years and I can tell you that if we were reporting attendees like we did a few years ago, they would have counted this at about 3k-4k fans.

The reported numbers "look" down, but only because they weren't really counting them accurately before.