PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Coach of Year finalists

kdinva
November 20th, 2014, 03:02 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=780003

To me, this award should go to the Coach whose team was not expected to do much (.500 or under season), and makes the playoffs (or is "right there")..

Beau Baldwin, Eastern Washington
Rod Broadway, North Carolina A&T
Clint Conque, Stephen F. Austin
Marty Fine, Bryant
Broderick Fobbs, Grambling
John Grass, Jacksonville State
Dean Hood, Eastern Kentucky
Russ Huesman, Chattanooga
Chris Klieman, North Dakota State
Mike Kramer, Idaho State
Dale Lindsey, San Diego
Sean McDonnell, New Hampshire
Joe Moglia, Coastal Carolina
Tim Murphy, Harvard
Tony Reno, Yale
Mike Sanford, Indiana State
Brock Spack, Illinois State
Mark Speir, Western Carolina
Joe Susan, Bucknell
Everett Withers, JMU

Gil Dobie
November 20th, 2014, 03:12 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=780003

To me, this award should go to the Coach whose team was not expected to do much (.500 or under season), and makes the playoffs (or is "right there")..

Beau Baldwin, Eastern Washington
Rod Broadway, North Carolina A&T
Clint Conque, Stephen F. Austin
Marty Fine, Bryant
Broderick Fobbs, Grambling
John Grass, Jacksonville State
Dean Hood, Eastern Kentucky
Russ Huesman, Chattanooga
Chris Klieman, North Dakota State
Mike Kramer, Idaho State
Dale Lindsey, San Diego
Sean McDonnell, New Hampshire
Joe Moglia, Coastal Carolina
Tim Murphy, Harvard
Tony Reno, Yale
Mike Sanford, Indiana State
Brock Spack, Illinois State
Mark Speir, Western Carolina
Joe Susan, Bucknell
Everett Withers, JMU

Will the National Champion come from this list?

jmufan999
November 20th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Everett Withers, JMU

damn skippy. he won't actually win it (probably won't even win CAA Coach of the Year), but what he's done has been impressive. picked to finish 8th in the preseason and is locked into 3rd place instead.

Panther-State
November 20th, 2014, 03:20 PM
I'll just leave this here...Bison Picked to Win 2014 MVFC Crown (Sycamores 10th (http://www.valley-football.org/news/default/2014-15/7439/bison-picked-to-win-2014-mvfc-crown/))

If they make the playoffs, Sanford and Indiana State should be right up there. Illinois State didn't earn much recognition coming in but everyone knew they had plenty of talent. I completely forgot about the Sycs coming into this season considering UNI hadn't played them in 2 years.

REALBird
November 20th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Brock Spack, takes a team which was winless on the road in the MVFC to 9-1 in this meat grinder of a conference. I'll take it. I could easily take Indiana State's coach Mike Sanford or Klieman (NDSU). What Sanford has done is amazing considering the facilities at Indiana State, whether he continues that is up for debate. Klieman seems like he was handed the keys to the shiny Green/Yellow sports car, but he still had to motivate his guys to go for another ring.

Panther-State
November 20th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Klieman seems like he was handed the keys to the shiny Green/Yellow sports car, but he still had to motivate his guys to go for another ring.

I know 3 times in a row can be a bit repetitive...but the Bison have gotten too bored to win another 'ship? xeyebrowx

That's a new one.

Daytripper
November 20th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Joe Moglia, CC.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 20th, 2014, 03:44 PM
I know 3 times in a row can be a bit repetitive...but the Bison have gotten too bored to win another 'ship? xeyebrowx

That's a new one.

No way. Just made my hotel reservation in Frisco. It's my favorite part of the year.

Bison56
November 20th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Mike Sanford, Indiana State would be my pick I didn't expect them to do anything.

Sycamore62
November 20th, 2014, 04:03 PM
I'll just leave this here...Bison Picked to Win 2014 MVFC Crown (Sycamores 10th (http://www.valley-football.org/news/default/2014-15/7439/bison-picked-to-win-2014-mvfc-crown/))

If they make the playoffs, Sanford and Indiana State should be right up there. Illinois State didn't earn much recognition coming in but everyone knew they had plenty of talent. I completely forgot about the Sycs coming into this season considering UNI hadn't played them in 2 years.

So if every voter would have ranked us #10 we would have got 39 total voting points. We got 50. Assume we had two local voters (SID or reporter) and they thought we were like 6th optimistically. that would give us like 47. Maybe the other 3 votes thought we were a hair better than WIU.

On the other hand, If you inherited a 7-5 team and then went 1-11 in your first year does going 8-4 make you coach of the year?

tomq04
November 20th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Kramer!

Mocs123
November 20th, 2014, 04:49 PM
I was impressed by Speir at Western Carolina. They far exceeded my expectations of them. WCU has been so bad for so long the turnaround has been 180*

jmrepak
November 20th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Joe Moglia, CC.

^^This^^ If we win Saturday and have 1 playoff win. He's been a top 5 finalist 2 years in a row and has the opportunity to finish the season undefeated. I don't think anyone should question that.

FUBeAR
November 20th, 2014, 05:12 PM
I was impressed by...Western Carolina. They far exceeded my expectations of them.

...during pre-game warm-ups? xlolx

Cocky
November 20th, 2014, 08:50 PM
Will the National Champion come from this list?

No order
Fobbs
Kramer
Reno
Sanford
Spier

any of the above would be my choices.

Grass has has done a great job for JSU especially considering he was a high school two years ago but JSU was expected to do well.

dewey
November 20th, 2014, 09:00 PM
My vote would be for Kramer from Idaho State. What Sanford has done at Indiana State is incredible but they were decent in 2012 when they beat NDSU and we're in the running for a playoff spot. When was the last time Idaho State was in the running for a playoff spot?

Dewey

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2014, 09:03 PM
I'd choose Fobbs from Grambling. There's plenty of good turnaround stories around the FCS team this year but no one inherited a program in such utter disarray as Fobbs and he's got them contending for the SWAC championship in his first year. You can look at it as a testament to how bad the SWAC is or look at it as an amazing accomplishment by Grambling. I'm an optimist so I'll choose the latter.

It's also good for the subdivision that he's orchestrated such a terrific turnaround since Grambling, for better or worse, is one of the most recognizable programs in the FCS and it was no good for anyone having them become the embarrassment they were last year.

Cocky
November 20th, 2014, 09:08 PM
I'd choose Fobbs from Grambling. There's plenty of good turnaround stories around the FCS team this year but no one inherited a program in such utter disarray as Fobbs and he's got them contending for the SWAC championship in his first year. You can look at it as a testament to how bad the SWAC is or look at it as an amazing accomplishment by Grambling. I'm an optimist so I'll choose the latter.

It's also good for the subdivision that he's orchestrated such a terrific turnaround since Grambling, for better or worse, is one of the most recognizable programs in the FCS and it was no good having them become the embarrassment they were last year.

More I think about it, you are correct Fobbs should win. Heck Grambling couldn't even make it to the field last year (?).

The Cats
November 20th, 2014, 09:08 PM
Funny, I don't see Lamb from Mercer on that list.

dewey
November 20th, 2014, 09:09 PM

It's also good for the subdivision that he's orchestrated such a terrific turnaround since Grambling, for better or worse, is one of the most recognizable programs in the FCS and it was no good for anyone having them become the embarrassment they were last year.

Good post PC!

Dewey

Cocky
November 20th, 2014, 09:10 PM
Funny, I don't see Lamb from Mercer on that list.

why should he be there?

Lamb from Calhoun High should win COY.

Red & Black
November 21st, 2014, 06:03 AM
If I had a vote, it'd go to Kramer...especially if ISU wins on Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mocs123
November 21st, 2014, 10:38 AM
...during pre-game warm-ups? xlolx

I know just how bad WCU was in prior years as well as Chattanooga before Huesman came to UTC. There were multiple years the UTC-WCU game was the only chance for either team to get a conference win. Huesman has built a strong program at UTC; a program that looks like it will be in the playoff picture for years to come. It looks like Speir has the chance to do similar and has already made WCU relevant again. I know what is like to sit through years of being a losing program and that changing that culture is a difficult thing.

FUBeAR
November 21st, 2014, 10:52 AM
I know just how bad WCU was in prior years as well as Chattanooga before Huesman came to UTC. There were multiple years the UTC-WCU game was the only chance for either team to get a conference win. Huesman has built a strong program at UTC; a program that looks like it will be in the playoff picture for years to come. It looks like Speir has the chance to do similar and has already made WCU relevant again. I know what is like to sit through years of being a losing program and that changing that culture is a difficult thing.

I know and agree. I was joking based on 51-0 Mocs over Cats score.

WestCoastAggie
November 21st, 2014, 01:56 PM
I think it may be between the coaches at Idaho astate, Indiana State, Grambling State and NC A&T

chattownmocs
November 21st, 2014, 02:45 PM
Spack

CasualFan
November 21st, 2014, 02:55 PM
Of course I'm going to be a complete homer and say Joe Moglia. Interestingly enough, I just received this email from CCU's Office of University Communication. I added some formatting:

-----------------------

Coastal Carolina University Head Football Coach Joe Moglia and the Chanticleer football team will be featured in an upcoming installment of the "NFL Film Presents" program, airing on Fox Sports 1 at the following times:

Tuesday, Nov. 25, at 7:30 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 28, at 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 29, at 11 a.m.
Sunday, Nov. 30, at 10 a.m.

McNeese75
November 21st, 2014, 03:48 PM

This would be my vote without a second thought xthumbsupx

Sycamore62
November 21st, 2014, 03:50 PM
are these awards voted pre-playoffs?