PDA

View Full Version : POSTCARDS FOR EDWARD

polsongrizz
November 20th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Troy, I put this on the Lounge page but I know the vast majority of us don't go there so I hope this is okay. Thanks...

I am hoping we can take a little time to help make this little boys Birthday something special. He will be seven years old and has Leukemia.

Please help to make this little boys Birthday Special...
POSTCARDS FOR EDWARD
Hi Everyone! Edward's 7th birthday is November 30th. He wants a surprise party but doesn't know any kids where we live (we just moved here and he hasn't been allowed to go back to school). I'm thinking we can surprise him with a TON of postcards wishing him Happy Birthday! If you'd like to get in on Edward's surprise, please send your post card to:
So many of you have sent love and support for him. I think he can't comprehend how many when I read them to him... but he can HOLD POSTCARDS!!!

https://www.facebook.com/myEdwardBear
To send a card to Edward mail it to:
Edward Chambers
c/o General Delivery
7101 Coastal Hwy
Ocean City, Md 21842

ursus arctos horribilis
November 20th, 2014, 01:40 PM
You need to fix your link pols.

polsongrizz
November 20th, 2014, 01:52 PM
You need to fix your link pols.

Thanks, done...

citdog
November 20th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Card purchased. Will go out Monday.

veinup
November 20th, 2014, 07:16 PM
what type of stuff does edward like? hobbies? superheroes im guessing?

TheRevSFA
November 20th, 2014, 10:35 PM
Card will be going out Monday.

Thank you for sharing this

superman7515
November 21st, 2014, 09:23 AM
While I haven't the slightest idea if this kid has any interest in football, maybe if your school has a postcard with something of the football team available, we could send him a bunch of FCS football postcards?

veinup
November 21st, 2014, 10:44 AM
sent.

polsongrizz
November 21st, 2014, 02:53 PM
what type of stuff does edward like? hobbies? superheroes im guessing?

Basic kids stuff. Dinosaurs, cars the movie. He also loves Rugby.

- - - Updated - - -

Meet Edward, my 6-year-old grandson, (Edward Bear is his nick name). Edward is a typical 6 year old; is very active (plays Rugby, like his Dad), funny, smart, artistic, and goofy. On April 2, 2014, Edward was diagnosed with Leukemia.

GETTING THE DIAGNOSIS
Edward was traveling with his family (out of country) in Canada, when he was too ill to leave the hotel room. We thought he had stopped eating so much and the slight fever was from his new front teeth coming in. They were very sore and swollen. We took him to a clinic when his ear started to ache and became painful. The doctor said he had an ear infection and prescribed antibiotics. After two days of taking the medicine, he wasn't getting better and had drainage and blood from his ear. On April 2, 2014, we took him to a different clinic. The doctor there sent Edward to the hospital right away. About two hours later, the doctor came to us and said "Well, we have his blood work, his counts are low, it looks like leukemia, we need to....." I have no idea what he said next. Our first thoughts were surely he was wrong. However, our Edward bear was on a plane with medical staff, without any of us, heading for Alberta Children's Hospital in Calgary, Canada, about 11pm. We drove the almost 5 hours to be with him.
On April 3rd, 2014, we got Edward's diagnosis of B-type Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL).

TREATMENT THE FIRST MONTH
Edward was admitted to the hospital on April 3rd, 2014. Once they had confirmed the diagnosis of ALL, he had surgery on April 5th to place a "port" device into his chest muscle with a line that runs directly into his heart. This cuts down on how many needles he has to have for all the blood work, chemo, transfusions and tests that will happen. It was a shock when the surgeon came out after surgery and said "It went well, we added a bit of extra line into the heart since he will grow over the next year and how are you going to pay us?" The shock wasn’t the bill; it was because we were slowly coming to realize that Edward would be going through treatment for a long time. Two days later he had a bone marrow biopsy, spinal tap and his first chemo injection into his spinal canal.
Edward’s started treatment (Induction phase) on April 8th, 2014. It lasts 29 days. During this time, he will have: 3 doses of chemo injected into directly into his spinal canal, 5 doses of IV chemo and DEX (a steroid) twice every day. He’s had 4 blood transfusions and 5 platelet transfusions so far. He has a selection of other medications he takes to offset the side effects of the chemo and DEX.
Edward was in the hospital from April 3 to April 15. Most of that time he was in isolation. Then he was treated as an outpatient for 9 days, spending 4 of those days in the clinic. On April 25th he was re-admitted with severe pain in his legs (he could not walk) which required morphine, a fever and a staph infection. The standard is to give 10 days of IV antibiotics for a staph infection, which can be difficult to get rid of. They are doing tests on his heart because the staph bacterium likes to cling to heart valves. It also likes to stick to plastic like the tube that was put into his heart and connected to his port device. If they can't get rid of the infection, the device will have to be surgically removed and Edward will have to get his treatments in his little arms. We pray that they can clear the infection to give him the best chance.
His hair began to fall out about day 17.

ONGOING TREATMENT
After the very intensive phase one treatment, he will have to endure an additional 7 months of intensive treatment where he will have very little if any immune system. His treatments will be combinations of IV chemo, oral chemo, chemo spinal injections, steroid doses, and all of the accompanying drugs to counteract all the different side effects.
Edward’s total treatment will take over three years, during which he will continue to receive chemo treatments. Any infection during his treatment will land him back in the hospital since he has no immune system with which to fight.
We have been told that the chemo in the spine will affect his brain growth and bone strength. The effects of the chemo on his brain will become more noticeable in years to come. Many children who survive ALL will be special needs children in school, with various learning difficulties. Since leukemia is a cancer of the blood, which is created in the bone marrow, the drugs to fight the disease will also weaken his bone structure.
Since Edward was diagnosed and started treatment in Canada, we will need to wait until he is stable enough to travel back to the States, where we have family and friends to lean on for support.
This will be a long road. We are hopeful for his recovery because 90% of children fighting this disease survive.

polsongrizz
November 21st, 2014, 02:56 PM
http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/help-edward-bear-in-his-fight-against-leukemia/171094 Pics of Edward...

ursus arctos horribilis
November 21st, 2014, 03:11 PM
http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/help-edward-bear-in-his-fight-against-leukemia/171094 Pics of Edward...

It says it ended a couple months ago Pols?

polsongrizz
November 21st, 2014, 03:59 PM
Card purchased. Will go out Monday.
xthumbsupx

polsongrizz
November 21st, 2014, 04:01 PM
It says it ended a couple months ago Pols?
Yeah that there was just the fundraising thing to help defray costs. I was just letting everyone know that he wanted to get postcards from as many people as possible. I didn't really expect or want anyone to give cash. The link was more so you could see pics of him.

polsongrizz
November 21st, 2014, 04:02 PM
Card will be going out Monday.

Thank you for sharing this

Thank You...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks...

polsongrizz
November 21st, 2014, 04:05 PM
Great idea. I know he loves Rugby but I am not sure about football. But I don't think that really matters as much as just him receiving the cards.