PDA

View Full Version : Hampton vs. Past Playoff Failures

G.S.Green
November 12th, 2006, 12:56 AM
Can it be true? Is Hampton finally prepared to be a legitimate playoff contender? We shall see. I am looking forward to a possible trip to JMU. Since we can’t seem to get JMU during the regular season, maybe the playoffs will provide the best alternative to demonstrate that the HU program is worthy of some regular season consideration.

Menudo
November 12th, 2006, 01:14 AM
See this is how most BS gets started.

This Hampton Pirate will stay out of it

AppGuy04
November 12th, 2006, 01:23 AM
maybe the playoffs will provide the best alternative to demonstrate that the HU program is worthy of some regular season consideration.

Explain

rokamortis
November 12th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Can it be true? Is Hampton finally prepared to be a legitimate playoff contender? We shall see.

All you can do is prove it on the field. Good Luck!

AZGrizFan
November 12th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Can it be true? Is Hampton finally prepared to be a legitimate playoff contender? We shall see. I am looking forward to a possible trip to JMU. Since we can’t seem to get JMU during the regular season, maybe the playoffs will provide the best alternative to demonstrate that the HU program is worthy of some regular season consideration.

Hampton = USD-East.

The only difference between Hampton and USD is Hampton plays in a conference that for some reason, unknown to man, gets an auto-bid to the playoffs. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

:p

HIU 93
November 13th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Hampton = USD-East.

The only difference between Hampton and USD is Hampton plays in a conference that for some reason, unknown to man, gets an auto-bid to the playoffs. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
:p

OKAY!!!! I'm reloaded!!!!!!

Yeah- we're USD. The difference is that in the 11 years that we have been Div. I-AA we only have ONE losing season. Everyone keeps saying we can't beat any teams from the Gateway, A10, or other powerful conferences. Let's see- I think Western Illinois is in the Gateway, right? We have two victories over them. JMU is A-10, right? Well, we beat them, AT THEIR HOUSE. I don't know what conference Southern Utah is in, but we beat them twice as well. I guess we still haven't "proven it on the field" because we don't have any I-AA National Championships. How many I-AA teams have I-AA National Championships? Most I-AA teams don't have any I-AA championships, but it is only Hampton, the MEAC, and the SWAC that can't compete, right? Well, just to let the uninformed know, Florida A&M, currently a member of the MEAC, was the FIRST NCAA Div. I-AA football champion in 1978.

We have laid claim to the MEAC autobid to the playoffs. We will more than likely be travelling to the first playoff site. For the record, it doesn't matter who we play. We will play to win. That's why you play the game, right? Do we have enough to win? You damn right. Will we? I don't know. Whatever we do, know this- neither Hampton nor the MEAC is going any damn where- and one day you will HAVE to give us our props, because there will be a Div. I-AA National Championship Trophy at Hampton University. This thing is a marathon, not a sprint.

TexasTerror
November 13th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Regardless of what anyone says, MEAC is worthy of an auto bid. They've had some history of success in the I-AA playoffs. Maybe not with Hampton here the last few years, but they do have some. FAMU went to the 1999 semifinals while NCA&T went to the QFs that year.

It's my opinion that any full-scholarship league eligible should get an auto-bid. If SWAC wanted one, they should get one. MEAC has really stepped it up with OOC schedules, especially Hampton and SC State, two teams that really want to step it up in the postseason.

YoUDeeMan
November 13th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Regardless of what anyone says, MEAC is worthy of an auto bid. They've had some history of success in the I-AA playoffs. Maybe not with Hampton here the last few years, but they do have some. FAMU went to the 1999 semifinals while NCA&T went to the QFs that year.

It's my opinion that any full-scholarship league eligible should get an auto-bid. If SWAC wanted one, they should get one. MEAC has really stepped it up with OOC schedules, especially Hampton and SC State, two teams that really want to step it up in the postseason.

Don't forget DSU. The Hornets are also upgrading their OOC schedule and hopefullyl we will see them in the postseason soon.

Go Hornets!

I don't really have a problem with the MEAC getting an auto-bid. And the MEAC is much better than SDU's league. The OVC hasn't shown any more recent playoff success than the MEAC. The issue I had was giving Hampton a top seed last year. With their weak schedule, they didn't earn it - as proven by their quick playoff exit.

Is Hampton a legitimate title contender this year? No. They didn't move the ball well against DSU or SC State, and those defenses are not even close to what they will face in the playoffs.

However, almost anyone is capable of pulling off one upset.

Cincy App

We have laid claim to the MEAC autobid to the playoffs. We will more than likely be travelling to the first playoff site. For the record, it doesn't matter who we play. We will play to win. That's why you play the game, right? Do we have enough to win? You damn right. Will we? I don't know.

Personally, I'm glad Hampton is in the playoffs and I look forward to seeing how you perform. Do you have any thoughts regarding whether a 9-2 Delaware State team would make the field? They seem to be one of many "bubble" teams.

bandl
Hampton will be a formidable opponent this year for any team in the playoffs, but until they get over their 0'fer spell in the playoffs (0 wins, 4 losses), the verdict will always be out on them. They will break through the first round sometime though, and my guess is sooner rather than later. Hampton's program is not a fluke, they will compete at the top of their conference for years to come (and thus, be in the playoffs year in and year out). But I sincerely hope they don't break thought this year though if some of the bracket predictions I've seen for the playoffs turn out to be true!

AZGrizFan
November 13th, 2006, 08:55 AM

Yeah- we're USD. The difference is that in the 11 years that we have been Div. I-AA we only have ONE losing season. Everyone keeps saying we can't beat any teams from the Gateway, A10, or other powerful conferences. Let's see- I think Western Illinois is in the Gateway, right? We have two victories over them. JMU is A-10, right? Well, we beat them, AT THEIR HOUSE. I don't know what conference Southern Utah is in, but we beat them twice as well. I guess we still haven't "proven it on the field" because we don't have any I-AA National Championships. How many I-AA teams have I-AA National Championships? Most I-AA teams don't have any I-AA championships, but it is only Hampton, the MEAC, and the SWAC that can't compete, right? Well, just to let the uninformed know, Florida A&M, currently a member of the MEAC, was the FIRST NCAA Div. I-AA football champion in 1978.

We have laid claim to the MEAC autobid to the playoffs. We will more than likely be travelling to the first playoff site. For the record, it doesn't matter who we play. We will play to win. That's why you play the game, right? Do we have enough to win? You damn right. Will we? I don't know. Whatever we do, know this- neither Hampton nor the MEAC is going any damn where- and one day you will HAVE to give us our props, because there will be a Div. I-AA National Championship Trophy at Hampton University. This thing is a marathon, not a sprint.

93, that's why I put the :p in my post....I was just joshing. After all this USD blathering about why they should be in the playoffs, I've made a promise to myself to NEVER make fun of Hampton's SOS again. Congratulations on the MEAC title, and we'll see you in the playoffs! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OL FU
November 13th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Last year was unfortunate from the standpoint that a good Hampton team showed badly. I do believe that Hampton was a legitimate playoff team last year and quite possibly could have been one of the best ones. I know we like to use one game to prove our point, but I don't think that the Richmond game was indicative of Hampton.

Unfortunately, I am not sure that is the case this year. But as we know, time will tell.

YoUDeeMan
November 13th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Personally, I'm glad Hampton is in the playoffs and I look forward to seeing how you perform. Do you have any thoughts regarding whether a 9-2 Delaware State team would make the field? They seem to be one of many "bubble" teams.

DSU, if they win this weekend at Howard to get to 9-2, probably still won't get in (although I would be rooting for them). No really good quality wins.

DSU's OOC:
St Francis (NEC) - DSU Won 63-28
At Northwesten State (Southland) - DSU lost 23-3
Concordia Col (D-II) - DSU won 62-0

The D-II hurts them.

In conference, the only teams they beat with winning records were home against SC St. 10-9, and Florida A&M 34-14 at a neutral site.

Lavan will get DSU to the playoffs soon, but probably not this year unless the bottom falls out for some other bubble teams.

UAalum72
November 13th, 2006, 09:36 AM
The win over Southern Utah (DIAAFOOTBALL.com lists only one), not in a playoff conference, was six years ago. The win over JMU was four years ago over a 5-7 Dukes team. Western Ill. was 4-7 two year ago. Today's freshmen were in the sixth grade when the MEAC won its last playoff games. Today's players weren't even born when FAMU won its championship.

I don't care if the MEAC gives scholarships; I still haven't seen any results on the field to show a QUALITATIVE difference between the current MEAC and the current NEC.

bandl
November 13th, 2006, 09:40 AM
The win over Southern Utah (DIAAFOOTBALL.com lists only one), not in a playoff conference, was six years ago. The win over JMU was four years ago over a 5-7 Dukes team. Western Ill. was 4-7 two year ago. Today's freshmen were in the sixth grade when the MEAC won its last playoff games. Today's players weren't even born when FAMU won its championship.

I don't care if the MEAC gives scholarships; I still haven't seen any results on the field to show a QUALITATIVE difference between the current MEAC and the current NEC.

Don't forget that their win over JMU came a season after JMU went 2-9, with their only victories over Elon and Liberty! JMU was quite the juggernaut back then!!! :p
But if we're going that route...JMU beat UVA back in the early 80's. So there's no question in my mind that JMU would beat UVA every single time they play!!! xidiotx

henfan
November 13th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Lavan will get DSU to the playoffs soon, but probably not this year unless the bottom falls out for some other bubble teams.

I don't think it'll take the bottom falling out but it will take some favorable results for DSU to get it. Their number of D-I wins vs. high equivalancy D-I programs (7) compares very favorably to teams like Monmouth and San Diego.

If you want DSU to have an improved shot, root for Montana and T-Martin and against Coastal Carolina, SIU, EIU, Tennessee State, UNH and Towson.

HIU 93
November 13th, 2006, 12:31 PM
93, that's why I put the :p in my post....I was just joshing. After all this USD blathering about why they should be in the playoffs, I've made a promise to myself to NEVER make fun of Hampton's SOS again. Congratulations on the MEAC title, and we'll see you in the playoffs! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It's all good AZ. You have your opinion, and I have mine. Ours tend to differ, that's all. Just watch out for the Pirates in the next few years. You'll begin to see some wins over those OOC opponents and in the playoffs. Like I said, its a marathon, not a sprint.

HIU 93
November 13th, 2006, 12:37 PM
I don't think it'll take the bottom falling out but it will take some favorable results for DSU to get it. Their number of D-I wins vs. high equivalancy D-I programs (7) compares very favorably to teams like Monmouth and San Diego.

If you want DSU to have an improved shot, root for Montana and T-Martin and against Coastal Carolina, SIU, EIU, Tennessee State, UNH and Towson.

I would love to see DSU get in the playoffs with us, but I just don't think the voters are going to put both of us in. I saw DSU play us, and believe me, their defense is tough as nails. I think they could make some noise if they were in, I just don't see it happening this year.

Menudo
November 13th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Im glad Hampton has an entire week off to get ready for the playoffs.

I dont care what anyone say's, sometimes rest is a good thing. Especially when you need players to heal.

AppGuy04
November 13th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Im glad Hampton has an entire week off to get ready for the playoffs.

I dont care what anyone say's, sometimes rest is a good thing. Especially when you need players to heal.

Same for us, glad we get almost 2 weeks of rest in between games

blukeys
November 13th, 2006, 08:34 PM
As I have said on numerous occasions, MEAC teams have the skill position players to contend with anyone in the nation. However, They don't have either the offensive or defensive front 7's to compete with the best of the A-10 or Southern Conference foes who they will see in the opening round in the playoffs.

Last year's thumping of Hampton by Richmond was no accident. If Hampton had been paired against Furman the result would have been even worse. MEAC teams are weak up front. Check the scores of JMU and DSU in 2005. Check the DSU - UMASS score. When you lose by more than 40 that should tell you something. I have seen MEAC teams every year since 1983. The distance between the MEAC and A-10 grows every year.

In my view SC STATE is the most physical MEAC team and most capable of making noise in the playoffs. Hampton is the most skilled team with
DSU a close third. DSU has gotten a lot of mileage out of special teams this year. Their first team QB is done for the season with injury and this should be included in anyone's consideration.

The Hornets deserve a playoff berth above San Diego but anyone else in the Gateway, Southern, or A-10 is another matter.

Big Dawg
November 13th, 2006, 10:48 PM
After seeing Hampton come into Bragg Stadidium and hand us our WORST DEFEAT EVER at home and seeing the quickness and stregnth at hand, the Pirates are gonna make some noise in the playoffs.

The MEAC is getting stronger people...BELIEVE ME

BobbyMo
November 13th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Hampton = USD-East

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

arranger101
November 13th, 2006, 11:29 PM
I would love to see the MEAC get two teams in , but it would be hard for me to digest allowing a 9-2 DSU in after not letting an 9-2 2004 and 2005 SCSU team in. And the bad thing about it is our 2 losses combined for 5 POINTS(Hampton-4 and Coastal Carolina-1):eyebrow: . One day we will be strong enough to get in 2 MEAC teams again.

Our OOC will be the stongest in the MEAC next year with AIR FORCE, S. CAROLINA and WOFFORD/COASTAL....it should get pretty interesting!xcoffeex

Big Dawg
November 13th, 2006, 11:35 PM
I would love to see the MEAC get two teams in , but it would be hard for me to digest allowing a 9-2 DSU in after not letting an 9-2 2004 and 2005 SCSU team in. And the bad thing about it is our 2 losses combined for 5 POINTS(Hampton-4 and Coastal Carolina-1):eyebrow: . One day we will be strong enough to get in 2 MEAC teams again.

Our OOC will be the stongest in the MEAC next year with AIR FORCE, S. CAROLINA and WOFFORD/COASTAL....it should get pretty interesting!xcoffeex

I think next year will be the year that the MEAC gets 2 teams back. Hampton, DSU, SCSU, FAMU, and BCC will be the main players next year.

AZGrizFan
November 14th, 2006, 12:21 PM

Two MEAC over two BSC teams this year would be a shame.

However, NOTE TO USD: Take note of the MEAC, and there efforts at ramping things up.....now THAT is an OOC schedule. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

HIU 93
November 15th, 2006, 07:39 AM

Two Div. I-As? HUGE!!!!! Please get all up in their azzes! I mean DEEEEEEEP!!!! I would love to see y'all kick both of their behinds.

AppGuy04
November 15th, 2006, 07:46 AM
I always wondered why SCSU didn't play USC. Seems logical with I-A's now scheduling a I-AA as their 12th game. Could be a nice rivalry there.

arranger101
November 15th, 2006, 12:44 PM
I always wondered why SCSU didn't play USC. Seems logical with I-A's now scheduling a I-AA as their 12th game. Could be a nice rivalry there.

Believe me, we tried! Columbia is a 2nd home for the Bulldawg faithful! I remember near the end of the '97 year there were talks of scheduling the game, but USC was having down year and didn't know what '98 was going to be like so they opted not to schedule us...scared if you ask me?xcoffeex