PDA

View Full Version : According to the GSU-Furman Game Thread...

Kill'em
November 12th, 2006, 12:48 AM
I saw a lot of Furman fans questioning BVG's moves. Do you see why Georgia Southern fans are so angry? Foster is a weapon. He has been since his freshman year. Lately, he has been our only threat. Why would any coach have Foster under center for running plays and then bring in Clark for passing plays? Hell, he might as well tell Lamb "We're going to pass!"

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! xidiotx :nonono2: :bang: :bang: :bang:

youwouldno
November 12th, 2006, 01:41 AM
As a Furman fan, I know how important a strong GSU is to the SoCon. It's not good for any SoCon fan to have GSU struggle. The Eagles will be back but I do not blame GSU fans who are displeased with how their team has performed under BVG. He's getting paid a lot of money and 3-7, even with a new offense, is not congruent with GSU's overall talent.

I do think BVG has gotten a lot out of GSU's defensive personnel. But defense is defense. GSU's offense, on the other hand, was different, and it entailed a much different roster constuction on that side of the ball. Some GSU fans flamed me before the season when I question how GSU's OL would adjust, but at this point I guess everyone sees that, by essentially misusing GSU's offensive tools, the Eagles have been unable to capitalize on their strengths.

Kill'em
November 12th, 2006, 11:57 AM
The offensive line has been a pleasant surprise. The pass blocking has been excellent. The run blocking has not been as good as I would have hoped but overall, the line has done its job.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 12th, 2006, 12:21 PM
At this point I can only blame the coaches. We have had so many problems with fundamentals in the passing game and it hasn't gotten better. My suggestion would be for BVG to hire Sewak back (Sewak hasn't taken a job yet, unless I am mistaken) as an offensive coordinator. BVG doesn't claim to be an offensive expert so I don't see why he would want to change it around when it is a proven offense.

No complaints about the defense. It hasn't been great, but it has definitly kept enough people out of the end zone well enough and I am confident we would have damn near won every game this season (even NDSU, one of their touchdowns was given up by our offense) with Sewak running the offense.

OL FU
November 12th, 2006, 02:21 PM
I was absolutely thrilled when Foster was not behind center for the last three offensive downs:nod:

I was also shocked:eek:

AppGuy04
November 12th, 2006, 02:25 PM
The fact remains, make a damn FG and you might have a couple more wins this season easily

Kill'em
November 12th, 2006, 07:20 PM
It's funny, in the past we rarely needed a field goal to win ballgames. The offense was potent enough to either win easily or drive at the end for a touchdown. This is an unusual situation for our kickers to be in.

Unfortunately, "in the past" may be a common phrase at Georgia Southern.

SouthernEagle02
November 12th, 2006, 07:54 PM
The fact remains, make a damn FG and you might have a couple more wins this season easily
Your right. Had we made FG's we probably would have at least 6 wins. FU, UTC, CCSU, & App :smiley_wi were lost because of missed FG's or PAT's.

PaladinFan
November 12th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Then again, that is part of the game.

If we had a healthy Fullback we would have beat ya worse ;)

GSU Eagle
November 12th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Let's face it --- We are a bad football team this year, particularly on offense and special teams. I knew this year would be a major adjustment but I would have never thought we would be 3-7 heading into our last game. And this year we had 7 home games-- which stacked the deck in our favor. The most surprising thing of all is our present 2-4 home record this year.

I agree with thousands of other GSU fans in believing we have effectively done what other SoCon teams couldn't do-- shut down Jason Foster. He finally was given some touches in the Furman game, but how in the world do you take such a weapon and for most of this season only allow him to touch the ball 5-8 times a game?

I give our offense an F this year. Our passing game has not improved very much all year and our quarterback is very erratic at best. I have seen enough 3rd and longs this year to last for a decade.

About the only aspect of our team I would give any real credit to is our defense. We have given up too many big plays but it is hard to play defense when your offense is going 3 and out over and over and over.

FUtilitspurple
November 12th, 2006, 09:28 PM
I was absolutely thrilled when Foster was not behind center for the last three offensive downs:nod:

I was also shocked:eek:
Amen to that. I was scared every time he touched the ball. Great effort by GSU. They really wanted to win this game, and they played as inspired as I've ever seen a team in their position play. Coaching cost the Eagles in this one.

Kill'em
November 12th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Amen to that. I was scared every time he touched the ball. Great effort by GSU. They really wanted to win this game, and they played as inspired as I've ever seen a team in their position play. Coaching cost the Eagles in this one.
It has all season.:bang:

Kill'em
November 12th, 2006, 10:40 PM
And this year we had 7 home games-- which stacked the deck in our favor. The most surprising thing of all is our present 2-4 home record this year.

Don't forget, many of our fans and many of the sports writers called our schedule "soft." A lot of the fans were outraged by the scheduling. If it was easy, I'd hate to see what knd of year we would have had if it were tougher. ;) Seriously, this is a tough schedule if you look at the teams we've played who have spent time in the top 25.

PaladinFan
November 12th, 2006, 10:53 PM
As much as I'd like to say the Eagles will be back soon, from what I've seen from the SoCon, it might be a few years. They will have problems recruiting offensive players in Georgia (for that offense) as the rest of the SoCon showed me they are all improving.

BEAR
November 12th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Don't forget, many of our fans and many of the sports writers called our schedule "soft." A lot of the fans were outraged by the scheduling. If it was easy, I'd hate to see what knd of year we would have had if it were tougher. ;) Seriously, this is a tough schedule if you look at the teams we've played who have spent time in the top 25.

Yeah, I guess scheduling a 7-3 Central Arkansas team would make for a "soft" scheduling effort by your coaches..xidiotx Gotta love the media.: smh :
Don't forget about the last team you are going to play, one that was in the top 25, one that is finally getting the chemistry right, and one that is losing 21 seniors after that game. :bang: They will come to Georgia to play. I'd put that in writing! :hurray:

youwouldno
November 12th, 2006, 11:13 PM
I think an OOC schedule means more than just 1 game.

BEAR
November 12th, 2006, 11:16 PM
I think an OOC schedule means more than just 1 game.

......yeah, me too...xlolx

LarryBoy
November 12th, 2006, 11:20 PM
They will come to Georgia to play. I'd put that in writing! :hurray:

Wow. Going out on a limb there.

BEAR
November 12th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Wow. Going out on a limb there.

Nah. Just trying to imitate the media.xlolx

....wow, maybe that's not such a good idea.:bang:

youwouldno
November 12th, 2006, 11:30 PM
......yeah, me too...xlolx

Then why are you trying to pick a fight with a GSU fan for saying, prior to the season, that some people thought the OOC was too easy?

AndrewFU21
November 13th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Foster was amazing out there on Saturday:bow: xsmileyclapx. That man will find his way to the NFL, at some position or another(think of Ronald Curry or Antwaan Randle El). That 83 yard run was sensational.

That said, it is kind of funny that you would implement an offense where the ball is taken out of his hands. But I suppose BVG isn't playing for this year, but for the next 5-10 years, so I guess you give him a while to see what his offense can do. You can tell that GSU has the talent to play with anyone at this level, but not the kind of players right now that will work in his system. I was not at all impressed with Travis Clark's throwing ability, and the receivers seemed to drop a lot of passes out there.

Seven Would Be Nice
November 13th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Foster was amazing out there on Saturday:bow: xsmileyclapx. That man will find his way to the NFL, at some position or another(think of Ronald Curry or Antwaan Randle El). That 83 yard run was sensational.

That said, it is kind of funny that you would implement an offense where the ball is taken out of his hands. But I suppose BVG isn't playing for this year, but for the next 5-10 years, so I guess you give him a while to see what his offense can do. You can tell that GSU has the talent to play with anyone at this level, but not the kind of players right now that will work in his system. I was not at all impressed with Travis Clark's throwing ability, and the receivers seemed to drop a lot of passes out there.

Clarke has a gun, and he doesnt know when to use it. He often underthrows and receivers and it looks like they dropped it... but its coming in at 80 mph and its either low, behind them a step, or both. He does do a great job of acting like each dropped ball is their fault and he had nothing to do with it.

GrizFamily
November 13th, 2006, 10:26 AM
It's funny, in the past we rarely needed a field goal to win ballgames. The offense was potent enough to either win easily or drive at the end for a touchdown. This is an unusual situation for our kickers to be in.

Unfortunately, "in the past" may be a common phrase at Georgia Southern.

We didn't used to need them either. :smiley_wi

Kill'em
November 14th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Yeah, I guess scheduling a 7-3 Central Arkansas team would make for a "soft" scheduling effort by your coaches..xidiotx Gotta love the media.: smh :
Don't forget about the last team you are going to play, one that was in the top 25, one that is finally getting the chemistry right, and one that is losing 21 seniors after that game. :bang: They will come to Georgia to play. I'd put that in writing! :hurray:
Believe me, even if Sewak was still the coach and we ran OUR offense, I'd still have lots of respect for UCA. They have a solid reputation and would not be taken lightly. Many of our supporters are not aware of programs like yours, NDSU's, and SDSU's. Unfortunately, our AD does a poor job scheduling I-A schools then gets about half of what other I-AA's get for playing the same team. Also, there is a growing number wanting to move to I-A so scheduling schools new to I-AA is seen as a step backward.

Not all of us feel this way,though. In fact, a lot of folks expect us to get beaten.