PDA

View Full Version : 11/11 Southland Football Report

blackfordpu
November 12th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Nov. 11: Football Report
McNeese State, Sam Houston State stay on top.

Nov. 11, 2006

FRISCO, Texas - McNeese State got its kicks Saturday night while Northwestern State didn't, costing the Demons a chance to win in regulation and giving the Cowboys' Blake Bercegeay the opportunity to force overtime and then deliver the winning 29-yard field goal in a 29-26 Southland Conference football victory Saturday night.

It was the seventh time in nine years that the winning margin in the 56-year-old series was a touchdown or less, and the third time in that span that the outcome was settled either in the final seconds or overtime. The game featured five lead changes and a comeback from a nine-point deficit by Northwestern.

Bercegeay tied the state, SLC and school record with five field goals, including a 39-yarder with 25 seconds remaining that tied the game. His game-winning kick came after the Demons' true freshman quarterback, Germayne Edmond, suffered his first career interception at the goalline to end NSU's first possession in overtime.

McNeese was able to rely on Bercegeay to tie the game because the Demons missed their first two extra point kicks of the season following their two second-half touchdowns. Robert Weeks' kick hit the right upright and bounced out following a third-period touchdown. After Northwestern regained the lead on a 30-yard Derrick Doyle pass reception from Edmond with 5:59 left to play, Weeks' kick never got off the ground due to what appeared to be a low snap that wasn't able to be placed upright for the attempt.

http://southland.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/111106aaa.html

JohnStOnge
November 12th, 2006, 01:41 AM
Nerve wracking (sp?) game and very thankful. If I'd have been told McNeese was going to turn the ball over twice near its own red zone and commit 12 penalties for 87 yards I'd have thought they'd have no shot. But the Demons countered with 90 yards in penalties (8 flags) and two critical turnovers of their own to go with the two missed PATs.

I really, really thought it was over when Northwestern State scored its last TD. McNeese took over around its own 10 after yet another penalty and hadn't done much of anything on offense in the second half. But they actually drove the field to get Bercegeay into position.