PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Surprise for the 2014 season

Bison56
November 19th, 2014, 03:05 PM
So as we wind down another regular season I wanted to ask you all what was your biggest surprise of the 2014 season? I'll hang up and listen.

thebootfitter
November 19th, 2014, 03:13 PM
I expected UNI to be playing as tough as they are now, but all season long. Maybe that expectation was misguided?

Illinois State surprised me. Nice run they've had this year.

Indiana State surprised me even more so.

Furman surprised me in the opposite direction. Haven't followed closely enough, but what happened?

Idaho State. Where did they come from? Unfortunately, they probably didn't do enough to make the playoffs, but still deserve kudos.

UN_ surprised me by beating Northern Arizona.

Mine are a bit MVFC and Big Sky centric, but those are a few of my observations.

Bison56
November 19th, 2014, 03:23 PM
I would say you covered exactly what I was thinking.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 19th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Indiana State and Idaho State, obviously.

For all my bluster, I never expected NDSU to weather the turnover nearly as well as they have.

BisonFan02
November 19th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Chatty made the playoffs

FargoBison
November 19th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Indiana State if they win this Saturday.

TheRevSFA
November 19th, 2014, 03:31 PM
SFA going from 3-9 last season to 8-4 potentially

Grizalltheway
November 19th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Hanging as close as we did (at least scorline-wise) with NDSU. I secretly thought there was a good chance we'd get blown out of the place.

If we happen to sneak into the playoffs and make a deep run, I'll be pleasantly surprised by that.

Sader87
November 19th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Patriot: Played out to form basically....Bucknell a bit bettah than expected.

Ivy: Harvard, Yale and Dartmouth all a little bit bettah than expected. Princeton underwhelmed in general. Penn a lot worse than expected.

NEC: Bryant and Sacred Heart a bit bettah than expected.

CAA: No real surprises....Delaware more down than expected.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Penn's season to forget was a surprise in a negative way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sammy94
November 19th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Sam Houston losing Flanders and Co., a coaching staff and still looking to make the playoffs for a fourth straight year.

Ivytalk
November 19th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Ivy: Harvard, Yale and Dartmouth all a little bit bettah than expected. Princeton underwhelmed in general. Penn a lot worse than expected.

Agreed, particularly on the implosion of Princeton.

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2014, 03:51 PM
The Presbyterian College Blue Ho's surprised me. Are they eligible for an at-large playoff bid as de facto Co-Champions of the SoCon? :D

Daytripper
November 19th, 2014, 03:51 PM
SFA going from 3-9 last season to 8-4 potentially

Just beat the Demons, please!

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 19th, 2014, 04:50 PM
In the Valley: Hands down - Indiana State

PAllen
November 19th, 2014, 05:49 PM
I'm surprised at just how bad all of the teams in the Patriot League were this year. We've always got a few stinkers, but with scholarships, I expected things to be on the rise. Instead, we got a good not great team in Fordham, an almost decent team in Bucknell, and the rest are barf on a plate.

TheRevSFA
November 19th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Just beat the Demons, please!

I kinda hope we don't just to **** with y'all...

GoAgs72
November 19th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Idaho State and Indiana State - something about their initials had good mojo this year.

DetroitFlyer
November 19th, 2014, 06:56 PM
If Saint Francis wins on Saturday, which they should, they will have a winning record for 2014!

Bisonator
November 19th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Indiana State and Furman without a doubt.

Panther-State
November 19th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Idaho State and Indiana State - something about their initials had good mojo this year.

Iowa State fans would beg to differ

Cleets
November 19th, 2014, 07:39 PM
1) Harvard

Sader87
November 19th, 2014, 08:42 PM
I'm surprised at just how bad all of the teams in the Patriot League were this year. We've always got a few stinkers, but with scholarships, I expected things to be on the rise. Instead, we got a good not great team in Fordham, an almost decent team in Bucknell, and the rest are barf on a plate.

I think that's a tad harsh. I'd put Fordham in the "very good to possibly great" team if they have a decent playoff run. Bucknell has been (in my scale lol) an average to good team....they really didn't play anyone too strong OOC. The other 4 not named GTown have had their moments....I wouldn't say they were all "bad"....more in the "below average to average" range. Even GTown wasn't truly awful...they did beat Brown and played a lot of the PL teams relatively tough.

It was definitely a "growing pains" year....we (the middle 5 PL teams) were like an awkward 14 year old kid, lot of potential just not ready for the world yet.

UAalum72
November 19th, 2014, 09:06 PM
If Saint Francis wins on Saturday, which they should, they will have a winning record for 2014!

This...

also Albany goes from 1-11 to at least .500. I don't care if the schedule was weak, those are still games that we would've lost last year (well, maybe not Columbia).

blackbeard
November 19th, 2014, 09:16 PM
NDSU losing a game

Bryant, Bucknell, WCU, and Presbyterian better than expected

Furman and the rest of the SoCon worse than expected

skinny_uncle
November 19th, 2014, 09:35 PM
Indiana State.

melloware13
November 19th, 2014, 09:40 PM
Yale beating Army, Towson (down), Albany (up), Neither Lehigh or Lafayette being above .500, JMU (up)

IBleedYellow
November 19th, 2014, 09:45 PM
UNI not slaughtering everyone they played was something I was not expecting.

McNeese75
November 19th, 2014, 10:24 PM
NDSU cruising like they have.

McNeese NOT

Thumper 76
November 19th, 2014, 11:08 PM
Indiana State bar none.

JMUNJ08
November 20th, 2014, 10:57 AM
A team with a DII loss possibly making the playoffs (SHSU) while a few with FBS wins most likely won't (BCU/ Liberty)

Otherwise, JMU after what seems like 10 years of 6-5 ball breaking through after a coaching change and on the cusp of the playoffs and a home game

Also, don't get me wrong, the Pioneer champ bypassing the playoffs for the 2nd straight year due to self inflicted penalties was unexpected...

Catbooster
November 20th, 2014, 01:38 PM
NDSU hardly being affected by the loss of the head coach and what - 24 seniors?
ISU - I figured Kramer would get them competitive, but not this quickly, or not ranked and in the conversation for playoffs this year.
Furman and McNeese both falling down (and can't get up ;) )

Rjones61
November 20th, 2014, 02:26 PM
The fact that MSU was able to reload after being a mediocre team last year and losing all of their stars. Props to the coaching staff.

AmsterBison
November 20th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Towson has surprised me. Yeah, I knew they were losing a lot of players, but I thought that they'd still be able to beat Central Connecticut State and one or two of the other teams they lost to.

UNIFanSince1983
November 20th, 2014, 02:33 PM
So no one says Illinois State surprised them?

They were picked 6th in the Valley and with a win Saturday could be co- or outright conference champions with only 1 loss in the toughest conference.

Bisonator
November 20th, 2014, 02:46 PM
So no one says Illinois State surprised them?

They were picked 6th in the Valley and with a win Saturday could be co- or outright conference champions with only 1 loss in the toughest conference.

Looking at their schedule before the season I figured they would be 9-3. They didn't have to play NDSU and had most of the tough teams at home.

Dukie95
November 20th, 2014, 02:50 PM
Not many surprises in the CAA. Maine was worse than expected, and JMU better. Saw Towson's slide coming.

wapiti
November 20th, 2014, 02:54 PM
Idaho State was the biggest surprise by far.
2nd place not even close.
They may still make it into the playoffs depending on if they win and some other bubble teams lose.

pokefan02
November 21st, 2014, 10:03 AM
McNeese falling victim to the injury monster yet again. I thought we had finally turned that corner of history

Sent from my HTC M8

SFA 93
November 21st, 2014, 10:29 AM

Yes, it is a win win situation😀

catamount man
November 21st, 2014, 10:32 AM
Best surprise(for me) - Western Carolina
biggest(let down) surprise - Furman

Idaho State next biggest surprise.

Sammy94
November 21st, 2014, 10:36 AM

Hate runs deep when you wish your own team will lose and have zero chance at all for the playoffs just for the slight chance of a rival not to make the playoffs. Funny thing is it won't matter. Sam wins and they will be there AQ or not.

Skyhawk71
November 23rd, 2014, 07:50 AM
In the OVC..........Murray State.........."The Hatch Attack" FINISHED dead last behind a 1-11 Austin Peay (APSU 1-7 beat MSU 1-7 head to head) Will the Racers give up the dream now, or have they already completely forgotten their miserable season and moved on to Hoops

OldKat95
November 23rd, 2014, 08:24 AM

LOVE THIS!!! THIS is what makes our rivalry great! And in turn, I felt really dirty having to root for y'all. Had to scrub real good after cheering for that kicker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk