PDA

View Full Version : JMU vs Towson

jdrama
November 11th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Game that makes or breaks Towson's playoff chances..... They need an all around good game from everyone but i think its very possible that they could upset.... With JMU coming off an unforseen loss and Towson gaining confidence but knowing this game is it for them it will be a clash of A-10 elite

griz37
November 12th, 2006, 02:42 AM
Game that makes or breaks Towson's playoff chances..... They need an all around good game from everyone but i think its very possible that they could upset.... With JMU coming off an unforseen loss and Towson gaining confidence but knowing this game is it for them it will be a clash of A-10 elite

If Towson wins this game are they in? Thoughts?

Madisonian
November 12th, 2006, 06:44 AM
I think if Towson wins this game neither JMU nor Towson go to the playoffs. An 8-3 JMU with two losses in the final two weeks does not make the playoffs. Towson will likely not get enough respect to make it either. Just my opinion, but a highly factual opinion.

CollegeObserver
November 12th, 2006, 06:55 AM
I think if Towson wins this game neither JMU nor Towson go to the playoffs. An 8-3 JMU with two losses in the final two weeks does not make the playoffs. Towson will likely not get enough respect to make it either. Just my opinion, but a highly factual opinion.

Factual? Okay.

If Towson wins, Towson is in. Simple really.
JMU, too.

ChickenMan
November 12th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Towson wins... they are in... but with their shabby defense... Towson won't win.

Madisonian
November 12th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Factual? Okay.

If Towson wins, Towson is in. Simple really.
JMU, too.

Perhaps you have not done enough observing...

I'll believe it when I see it. An 8-3 JMU with a win over a div II opponent is definitely on the bubble and highly likely to sit in December.

Look, I'm the biggest homer of them all... but I have seen this before.

Plain and simple, its a must win for both.

ChickenMan
November 12th, 2006, 08:12 AM
JMU has to win... 8-3 with two straight loses to end the regular season... would end their entire season.

Umass74
November 12th, 2006, 08:24 AM
IMHO, if Towson wins, they're in.

JMU with only seven DI wins and two straight losses is in deep trouble.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 12th, 2006, 08:40 AM
I'm not sure I buy this. There are so few playoff-eligible teams that I really don't see an 8-3 JMU team sitting at home. Who do you take above them? Delaware State? Monmouth? Do you put 7-4 Portland State in in front of them? Like it or not, JMU is probably in, though they are probably playing for a home game - otherwise, they're on the road.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 12th, 2006, 08:44 AM
IMHO, if Towson wins, they're in.

JMU with only seven DI wins and two straight losses is in deep trouble.
I find it to believe that JMU would not get in at 8-3...but as you know, teams get left out each year.

I expect JMU to come back to form next week against Towson........their butt is on the line........no smack to Nova......but turnovers gave that game away......gotta get it done each week though.

Go Dukes

Umass74
November 12th, 2006, 08:51 AM
In 1993 UMass went 8-3 with wins over both JMU and Delaware and did not get picked and all the wins were I-AA. :(

Eaglegus2
November 12th, 2006, 08:54 AM
The winner will make the playoffs. Plain & Simple!!!!!!

Dukie95
November 12th, 2006, 11:35 AM
The playoffs start a week early for these two teams.

Tribe4SF
November 12th, 2006, 11:54 AM
JMU is in, win or lose. They'll be 7-3 against Div I, with a convincing win at UNH. Too few quality teams this year for them to be left out. Towson will also be in if they win. Cal Poly's loss opened the door for this.

The committee could shock us all and take USD and Monmouth, but I doubt it. San Diego with 8 Div I wins, and no quality wins, is a stretch. Monmouth played a tougher schedule, but is also a stretch. So is Delaware State.

BDKJMU
November 12th, 2006, 12:55 PM
In 1993 UMass went 8-3 with wins over both JMU and Delaware and did not get picked and all the wins were I-AA. :(

In 95' JMU went 8-3 with an all IAA schedule and got in.

BDKJMU
November 12th, 2006, 01:10 PM

Nova coach says JMU is in at 8-3.
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_deta...ID=7273&CHID=3

This is what the selection committee would have to look at:
-14-3 win over DII powehouse Bloomsburg 9-1, 6th in DII and would probably beat 1/2 of 1AA teams.

-21-10 loss to App State, #1 team 1AA who would probably Beat 1/3-1/2 1A teams.

-45-7 win over weakest OOC oponent, VMI.

-1 pt road loss to Nova team that will probably finish 6-5.

If loss to Towson would be 6-2 A-10, with 5 of those wins dominant, including dominating road wins over then #1 UNH and then #15? UR. Only non dominant win was RI, 31-23, week before facing then #1 UNH.

With close Towson loss I think highly likely JMU still in at 8-3.

blur2005
November 12th, 2006, 02:00 PM
JMU would be in at 8-3, but would lose any shot of having a home game. The Dukes must beat Towson to have a shot at that. Any of you saying JMU won't get in at 8-3 are crazy. Considering the low number of teams that are still in play for th eight at-large bids, there's no way JMU doesn't get in.

th0m
November 12th, 2006, 02:16 PM
JMU would be in at 8-3, but would lose any shot of having a home game. The Dukes must beat Towson to have a shot at that. Any of you saying JMU won't get in at 8-3 are crazy. Considering the low number of teams that are still in play for th eight at-large bids, there's no way JMU doesn't get in.

If I recall correctly, wins and losses have NO bearing after the seeds are awarded. At that point, the bids put in by the AD's of the remaining 12 schools will be the deciding factor. So our chances of getting a home game at 9-2 or at 8-3 would be the same.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 12th, 2006, 02:21 PM

I totally disagree. 8-3 in the A10 this year means you are in, no matter who you are. I don't know if there as ever been an 8-3 team from an autobid conference that did not get in, unless two of their wins are DII games or non-autobid conference wins. If Towson wins I think both teams will still take priority over teams like Portland State, Montana State (regardless of whether or not they win Saturday), San Diego, Coastal, and other teams that are only at 7 DI wins.

[EDIT] In fact, if both Towson and New Hampshire win (maybe even if UNH doesn't win), we could be looking at 3 AL bids from the A10.

TigerFan17
November 13th, 2006, 02:31 AM
I wish we could move this game to JMU so we'd have a better shot at winning. We haven't won a home conference game and haven't lost an away conference game. Figure that one out. :eyebrow: : smh :

asu7
November 13th, 2006, 08:52 AM
I wish we could move this game to JMU so we'd have a better shot at winning. We haven't won a home conference game and haven't lost an away conference game. Figure that one out. :eyebrow: : smh :

I would say things have to change at some point but I though WCU would get a conference win this year too ...

Maybe yall are due ... either way whoever wins is in and the other might get in but it will be a nail biter of a Sunday :)

henfan
November 13th, 2006, 09:05 AM
If Towson wins, they are in without question. JMU's in also, regardless. UNH has to win to get in.

Assuming they defeat Howard on the road and depending on who wins the OVC and Big Sky, I still like Delaware State's chances if it comes down to the Hornets vs. Monmouth or San Diego. IMO, the Hornets' 7 (would be) wins vs. high equivalancy D-I programs should garner more consideration than Monmouth's 3 or San Diego's 1.

Interesting comparative scores:

Del State- 29; Morgan State- 7
Monmouth- 26; Morgan State- 9

Del State- 63; St. Francis- 28
Monmouth- 54; St. Francis- 20

andy7171
November 13th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Towson went 8-2 in 1993 with wins over UConn and Delaware also and didn't make it in. All 8 wins were I-AA as well.

Interesting that Delaware lost to both UMass and Towson that year, but still got in over either of us??

andy7171
November 13th, 2006, 10:15 AM
If Towson wins, they are in without question. JMU's in also, regardless. UNH has to win to get in.

Assuming they defeat Howard on the road and depending on who wins the OVC and Big Sky, I still like Delaware State's chances if it comes down to the Hornets vs. Monmouth or San Diego. IMO, the Hornets' 7 (would be) wins vs. high equivalancy D-I programs should garner more consideration than Monmouth's 3 or San Diego's 1.

Interesting comparative scores:

Del State- 29; Morgan State- 7
Monmouth- 26; Morgan State- 9

Del State- 63; St. Francis- 28
Monmouth- 54; St. Francis- 20
I like Del State as well.

Towson has to win to get in. I find it hard to believe that JMU wouldn't get in at 8-3, ebing how the committee likes to reward teams who have been there before. JMU won it all a couple years ago, they have to remember that.

psc2445
November 13th, 2006, 10:15 AM
The playoffs start a week early for these two teams.

stated perfectly:hurray:

DB_Atlantic10
November 13th, 2006, 10:55 AM
If Towson wins this game are they in? Thoughts?This is very true.... win and you are in, unfortunately you were not our game 10 vice game 11... Villanove brought a good Duke team back down to earth...and as in the following weeks after those type losses, the Dukes will be looking to make a poor example of the Tigers... I wish you well, but I don' think they will be as flat this week as they were last. Much credit to Nova, they came to play and hung in there and watched the Dukes make mistake after mistake after mistake and seized the moment when it counted. Good luck to yah though.....:eyebrow:

DB_Atlantic10
November 13th, 2006, 10:58 AM
I think if Towson wins this game neither JMU nor Towson go to the playoffs. An 8-3 JMU with two losses in the final two weeks does not make the playoffs. Towson will likely not get enough respect to make it either. Just my opinion, but a highly factual opinion. This is so far from the truth... what this will do is push all of those current bubble 7-4 teams out of the picture...there are not enough quality 8-3 teams out there....both teams have been ranked for most of the season....

DB_Atlantic10
November 13th, 2006, 11:07 AM

Well that year the field of 9-2 or better teams would have made it tough for a 8-3 team... W&M and Udel represented the league in that year(what was UMass's head to head that year)... plus teams like Marshall/NE Lousiana were still around.... This year is just not the case, there are so many bubble 7-4 teams this year, the committee should have no problem completing the field....

henfan
November 13th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Truth be told, Del State will have a very difficult time beating Howard this Saturday. The Hornets lost QB Vashon Winton at the start of last week's game versus NSU. The backup played well in relief but against a modest NSU squad.

If the Hornets are the last team in the playoffs, they'll likely be first round fodder for whoever they play. Still, it would be a nice accomplishment for them to get recognized for their good season.

Footnote: DSU was originally scheduled to play Rutgers earlier this season (9/23) but backed out and scheduled St. Francis instead.

andy7171
November 13th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Well that year the field of 9-2 or better teams would have made it tough for a 8-3 team... W&M and Udel represented the league in that year(what was UMass's head to head that year)... plus teams like Marshall/NE Lousiana were still around.... This year is just not the case, there are so many bubble 7-4 teams this year, the committee should have no problem completing the field....
While this is true, there were alot of good teams in '93. And one of our losses was to 10-0 Howard. The point I was making was we beat Delaware that year, and apparently so did UMass, but Delaware got in over us.
Ole Tubby pulled a few strings in the committe that year, fo sizzle!

DB_Atlantic10
November 13th, 2006, 11:17 AM
While this is true, there were alot of good teams in '93. And one of our losses was to 10-0 Howard. The point I was making was we beat Delaware that year, and apparently so did UMass, but Delaware got in over us.
Ole Tubby pulled a few strings in the committe that year, fo sizzle! I was actually speaking to the UMass being left out, but you do bring up some good points... I think if Towson was in the A-10/Yankee back then, they would have been in....but the committee has come a long ways in picking teams since 1993.... The exposure today is light years away from what it was back then.....

Umass74
November 13th, 2006, 11:22 AM

UMass did beat the Hens 43-29 and JMU 33-10.

For UMass there was one additional tear-your-hair-out fact.

One of our three losses was to Maine 13-17. Maine later forfeited the game for using ineligible players :bang:

ChickenMan
November 13th, 2006, 11:27 AM

apparently one good win in '93 couldn't overcome a schedule that included the likes of...

Central Connecticut St
Delaware St
Charleston Southern
Bucknell
Morgan St
Buffalo

henfan
November 13th, 2006, 11:36 AM
While this is true, there were alot of good teams in '93.

Yup, and the Hens were one of them. The Hens deserved to be there in '93. The Selection Committee loved Tubby Raymond so much they sent him and his team to Missoula, MT in the 1st Round. The game was played in a wind chill of 4 degrees. Some favor.

That same Hens team went on to lose on a field goal in the final seconds the following week in Huntington to eventual runner-up Marshall.

Towson's issue in '93 was SOS, as they played weak teams like Bucknell & Morgan State, plus two schools in their first year of D-I transition (Charleston Southern and CCSU.) No doubt Towson had a nice team in '93, however. Tony Vinson was fantastic.

In '93, the Selection Committee reinforced the precedent that schedule strength is as important as number of wins when determining at-large selections.

andy7171
November 13th, 2006, 11:53 AM
apparently one good win in '93 couldn't overcome a schedule that included the likes of...

Central Connecticut St
Delaware St
Charleston Southern
Bucknell
Morgan St
Buffalo
True enough. However as the first Division I recruiting class to make it through 5 years of school, we had built ourselves into a respectable program. Can't blame us for our school hamstringing us and dropping scholarships. We played 5 Yankee schools the previous year and had Navy on the schedule for 93 and 94 before the school turned their back on us.

It's hard being an independant and getting any fair treatment, when the selection committee was basically conference presidents.

Bottom line is Towson is back to where I left them. And I can't wait for Saturday.

ChickenMan
November 13th, 2006, 12:03 PM
JMU has to win... 8-3 with two straight loses to end the regular season... would end their entire season.

after taking a better look at all the potential candidates for the playoffs... I have to say that JMU looks like a lock... even with a loss to Towson.

JMU at 8-3... makes the playoffs.

andy7171
November 13th, 2006, 12:08 PM
I have to agree. While they did play a D.II school, they beat a IA program. Regardless of Duke's lack of a heartbeat.
7-3 with a IA win being ranked as high as 3-4, they get in.

henfan
November 13th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Good luck to you and your Tigers, Andy!

bandl
November 13th, 2006, 12:16 PM
I have to agree. While they did play a D.II school, they beat a IA program. Regardless of Duke's lack of a heartbeat.
7-3 with a IA win being ranked as high as 3-4, they get in.
JMU didn't play a I-A this year, you're thinking of Richmond. But otherwise I agree.

and check your PM please.

TigerFan17
November 13th, 2006, 12:38 PM
How many do you guys expect to bring up here to the U on Saturday?

Gonna be a good one!

andy7171
November 13th, 2006, 12:53 PM
JMU didn't play a I-A this year, you're thinking of Richmond.
D'OH! :(

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 13th, 2006, 01:18 PM
How many do you guys expect to bring up here to the U on Saturday?

Gonna be a good one!

I'll be there!! I know of about 20 personal friends going... but I'd look for the number to be around 750 (PURELY SPECULATION!)... This will be nothing like the Richmond game where it was turned into a neutral field by the 5000 JMU fans that showed up. But don't be suprised if a large group does show up.

YoUDeeMan
November 13th, 2006, 01:22 PM
after taking a better look at all the potential candidates for the playoffs... I have to say that JMU looks like a lock... even with a loss to Towson.

JMU at 8-3... makes the playoffs.

I was beginning to lose faith in you. Glad you came back!

ChickenMan
November 13th, 2006, 01:37 PM
I was beginning to lose faith in you. Glad you came back!

in most other years if you lose the your last two to go 8-3 with only 7 DI wins... you're home for the holidays... but not in '06.

TSU84returntoglory
November 13th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Towson needs an impressive victory and a sympathetic selection committee. The Sun paper said "only 1 of the past 34 A-10 teams with 3 league losses made the tourney". :( If this is true, we're in real trouble - even with a lack of quality bubble teams. There is no way JMU is left out and UNH is most likely a lock also. And Maine has the tiebreaker over us too. :bawling: Just to be in the discussion this time of year though is awesome.

Two more years of Schaeffer and our young team - don't look for us to be picked last again anytime soon. :nod:

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 13th, 2006, 05:17 PM
I'll be there!! I know of about 20 personal friends going... but I'd look for the number to be around 750 (PURELY SPECULATION!)... This will be nothing like the Richmond game where it was turned into a neutral field by the 5000 JMU fans that showed up. But don't be suprised if a large group does show up.
My original plan was to stay home and wait for the playoff games at JMU. Well........plan has changed......COMING TO TOWSON!!!!!!

I'm still looking for one home game during the playoffs......

Any chance this game being a sellout? The Richmond game was a blast.....maybe we can duplicate the turnout.....

GO DUKES.......

th0m
November 13th, 2006, 06:58 PM
I think it's pretty safe to say, with an average attendance of around 4600 in a 11k stadium, it won't be a sellout, even though it will be a big game.

TSU84returntoglory
November 13th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Any chance this game being a sellout?

Not unless it's beautiful weather and you guys bring 6,000 :bang:

Be warned - we play great in front of large crowds. Undefeated on the road this year. :o

blur2005
November 13th, 2006, 08:30 PM
If Towson wins, they'll get in at 8-3 from the A-10. That would give the A-10 four bids again in all certainty. Nothing on Towson, I hope that doesn't happen since I want a JMU home playoff game.

BDKJMU
November 13th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Towson needs an impressive victory and a sympathetic selection committee. The Sun paper said "only 1 of the past 34 A-10 teams with 3 league losses made the tourney". :( If this is true, we're in real trouble - even with a lack of quality bubble teams. There is no way JMU is left out and UNH is most likely a lock also. And Maine has the tiebreaker over us too. :bawling: Just to be in the discussion this time of year though is awesome.

Two more years of Schaeffer and our young team - don't look for us to be picked last again anytime soon. :nod:

I bet at least 30 of those 34 3 A-10 loss teams finished 5-6, 6-5, or 7-4, and only a few 8-3. Ex would be Villanova this year. If they beat UD, will finish 5-3 A-10, 1-2 OOC, 6-5 overall, 2 wins out of playoff contention. Rare that a A-10 team goes 5-3 A-10, 3-0 OOC for 8-3 overall (or 4-0 OOC/9-3 overall for playoff berth in 02'-03' when 12 game regular seasons) unless they have a cupcake OOC schedule. Exception this yr is UNH, likely 5-3 A-10 and 3-0 OOC. 2 weak OOC but also weak IA Northwestern. Now this season they'll likely be at least one 5-3 A-10, 8-3 overall in the playoffs, UNH, with a chance for a 2nd, Towson.

BDKJMU
November 14th, 2006, 01:10 AM
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=7295&CHID=3

"since 2000 only one Atlantic 10 team has missed the playoffs with an 8-3 record. That was a Villanova team with a loss to Division II New Haven staining its record."

andy7171
November 14th, 2006, 07:12 AM
My original plan was to stay home and wait for the playoff games at JMU. Well........plan has changed......COMING TO TOWSON!!!!!!

I'm still looking for one home game during the playoffs......

Any chance this game being a sellout? The Richmond game was a blast.....maybe we can duplicate the turnout.....

GO DUKES.......
I would say probably not. We got close to packing it at Homecoming last year, 10877. If its nice out and the students decide to actually leave the parking lot and watch the game, it could get close.

Lets hope there is a good crowd, it's going to be a great game.

andy7171
November 14th, 2006, 07:17 AM

Maine last last week, they're 6-4 and most likely out. If we lose we'd be 7-4 and out as well.
I don't think we're going to lose.
I hate the Dukes.

ChickenMan
November 14th, 2006, 08:00 AM
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=7295&CHID=3

"since 2000 only one Atlantic 10 team has missed the playoffs with an 8-3 record. That was a Villanova team with a loss to Division II New Haven staining its record."

not true... in '01 URI finished 8-3 (three A10 loses) and missed the playoffs along with that 8-3 Villanova squad.

BDKJMU
November 14th, 2006, 11:17 AM
not true... in '01 URI finished 8-3 (three A10 loses) and missed the playoffs along with that 8-3 Villanova squad.

If what you say is true then that would be another mistake then for that writer Mike Barber from the Harrisonburg Daily news record. Last week he wrote NDSU was in the hunt for a #1 seed and that Villanova avg 340 yards rushing a game (it was 340yards total offense).

ChickenMan
November 14th, 2006, 11:34 AM
It's true... in '01 the A10 had five possible playoff teams...

Hofstra... 9-2

Maine... 9-2

W&M... 8-3

Villanova... 8-3

URI... 8-3

but neither Nova nor URI got a bid

BDKJMU
November 14th, 2006, 05:30 PM
I heard a couple JMU fans say they were surprised JMU fell only 3 spots in the Sports Network poll. When we kicked UNH's a%s, they only fell from #1 to #7. The following week they lost by 1 pt to unranked Northeastern in OT, and they only fell 4 more spots to #11. Based on the teams below us, and the fact that Furman only beat GSU by 3, I didn't see JMU falling below 7. Plus JMU is still #6 in the GPI. Win this week, and JMU probably move up to #6. My predicition one of the 4 ahead of JMU who play this weekend is upset:
#1. ASU regular season done
#2 Montana home vs #15 MSU
#3. UMass home vs Hofstra
#4. NDSU home vs #19 SDSU
#5 YSU regular season over
#6 ISU @ #20 UNI

Lose and JMU falls 5 spots to #12. No way JMU falls below Coastal or the Torreos unless JMU get waxed by Towson, which I definitely don't see happening. I see JMU anywhere from losing by a TD to winning by 3 TDs.

BDKJMU
November 14th, 2006, 05:34 PM
I would say probably not. We got close to packing it at Homecoming last year, 10877. If its nice out and the students decide to actually leave the parking lot and watch the game, it could get close.

Lets hope there is a good crowd, it's going to be a great game.

Towson is maybe 2.75 hrs or so from JMU, vs 4-4.5 from Nova, and hr give or take from much of N. VA/surburban MD/DC metro area, home to JMU's biggest alumni base, vs 2-2.5 from Nova. Attendance at Nova game was listed at 7751, with maybe 5,500-6 k Nova fans and around 2k JMU. JMU @ Towson is a MUCH BIGGER game. I think JMU will bring 2-2.5 k fans. If the Nova game was close to 8 k, and Towson I'm assuming has a bigger student base than private Nova, and the weather is good-right now weather.com calling for high of 53, partially cloudy (was sunny/70 JMU @ Nova), this game should be over 8 k in attendance. That would still leave the Towson stadium, listed at 11,200 capacity, as about 3/4 full.

I'll be there-Nissan Titan with flagpole/JMU flag.

BDKJMU
November 14th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Nova coach says JMU is in at 8-3.
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_deta...ID=7273&CHID=3

This is what the selection committee would have to look at:
-14-3 win over DII powehouse Bloomsburg 9-1, 6th in DII and would probably beat 1/2 of 1AA teams.

-21-10 loss to App State, #1 team 1AA who would probably Beat 1/3-1/2 1A teams.

-45-7 win over weakest OOC oponent, VMI.

-1 pt road loss to Nova team that will probably finish 6-5.

If loss to Towson would be 6-2 A-10, with 5 of those wins dominant, including dominating road wins over then #1 UNH and then #15? UR. Only non dominant win was RI, 31-23, week before facing then #1 UNH.

With close Towson loss I think highly likely JMU still in at 8-3.

I said JMU had beaten RI 31-23. It was actually 35-23. I went to edit it, but wouldn't let me. So posts a couple of days old you can't edit?

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 14th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Maine last last week, they're 6-4 and most likely out. If we lose we'd be 7-4 and out as well.
I don't think we're going to lose.
I hate the Dukes.
Hate is such a strong word.........Go directly to the smack board...do not pass go....DO NOT COLLECT A PLAYOFF BID.

GO DUKES

th0m
November 14th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Let 'm hate us.