PDA

View Full Version : State of Georgetown football

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 11th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Started this thread because i think this topic deserves some serious discussion and the Lehigh-Lafayette thread should stay free from it.

Georgetown is obviously in a tough situation and whether or not they can compete in the PL given the current state of the university will be something to watch. Georgetown is in a lot of trouble right now IMO. Unless something changes, and there is little evidence it will, Georgetown is in serious trouble and which could have a profound effect on the PL.

JoltinJoe
November 12th, 2006, 11:35 AM
I think the league needs to allow Georgetown relief from the AI requirement. I'd like to see Georgetown football become a player in the PL. But no matter what, the Hoyas must throw some money at facilities and be willing to match what other PL teams pay each year to compete.

CSUBUCDAD
November 12th, 2006, 11:56 AM
This is kind of interesting because they had some great fan support when they came to CSU a few weeks ago. Especially for a team from so far away. Would hate to see them have to scrap the FB program.

carney2
November 12th, 2006, 01:00 PM
I think the league needs to allow Georgetown relief from the AI requirement. I'd like to see Georgetown football become a player in the PL. But no matter what, the Hoyas must throw some money at facilities and be willing to match what other PL teams pay each year to compete.

1. The Georgetown admissions department would not - and should not - accept substandard applicants just for their athletic skills. There is always some "give" here, of course, but there is a point, beyond which they will not go. Also, the League does not have an "AI requirement." From the Patriot League website: The Patriot League... was founded on the principles of admitting athletes who are academically representative of their class..." In other words, incoming athletes are generally presenting academic credentials that are in line with other incoming fresmen at institutions that are well above the national average in this area.

2. Georgetown's Academic Index is not that much higher - if at all - than most of the other Patriot League schools. The AI is not Georgetown's problem here. They are simply underfunded, under committed and under appreciated.

My question is what bill of goods did they sell to Kevin Kelly to convince him to take this job? Was the man that hard up for a pay check?

ngineer
November 12th, 2006, 01:39 PM
1. The Georgetown admissions department would not - and should not - accept substandard applicants just for their athletic skills. There is always some "give" here, of course, but there is a point, beyond which they will not go. Also, the League does not have an "AI requirement." From the Patriot League website: The Patriot League... was founded on the principles of admitting athletes who are academically representative of their class..." In other words, incoming athletes are generally presenting academic credentials that are in line with other incoming fresmen at institutions that are well above the national average in this area.

2. Georgetown's Academic Index is not that much higher - if at all - than most of the other Patriot League schools. The AI is not Georgetown's problem here. They are simply underfunded, under committed and under appreciated.

My question is what bill of goods did they sell to Kevin Kelly to convince him to take this job? Was the man that hard up for a pay check?

Yes--there is some 'give' at all the schools--that's within a standard deviation from the overall incoming freshman class.
Secondly, G'town's AI is not the impediment. They certainly have 'given' on the basketball program, so some 'high and mighty' stance about not 'giving' for athletes is pure political B.S.--just ask Allen Iverson.
Third, G'town is hamstrung on facilities to attract recruits and providing sufficient grants-in-aid. They must have committed to something to get Kelly to take the job this year.
With G'town's location, academic reputation, and national recognition they are positioned to become a force in the PL...They just have to do it.

JoltinJoe
November 12th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Secondly, G'town's AI is not the impediment. They certainly have 'given' on the basketball program, so some 'high and mighty' stance about not 'giving' for athletes is pure political B.S.--just ask Allen Iverson.

No school ever suffered by admitting student/athletes whose primary skill was that they could put the ball in the hole.

Georgetown was a great university which admitted 60% of its applicants before it hired John Thompson and went big-time in hoops.

It is now one of the most selective universities in America and admits about 20% of its applicants.

Basketball prominence is a great way to market a school. Georgetown's basketball program made many more prospective students take a look at its academic programs. They obviously liked what they saw.

ngineer
November 12th, 2006, 03:20 PM
No school ever suffered by admitting student/athletes whose primary skill was that they could put the ball in the hole.

Georgetown was a great university which admitted 60% of its applicants before it hired John Thompson and went big-time in hoops.

It is now one of the most selective universities in America and admits about 20% of its applicants.

Basketball prominence is a great way to market a school. Georgetown's basketball program made many more prospective students take a look at its academic programs. They obviously liked what they saw.

But they have also 'given' on the academics when it's come to athletics.
The Ivies have rigorous entrance requirements, too, and we know there is 'give' on their athletic admissions, too. No excuse. It comes down to providing the physical facilities and money for tuition. They made a decision to go to D-I, they could have stayed D-III where they had a lot of success. Some people made a decision to change philosophy--but so far have failed to provide the tools to do the job. Where have we seen that in Washington before...?

JoltinJoe
November 12th, 2006, 03:28 PM
But they have also 'given' on the academics when it's come to athletics.
The Ivies have rigorous entrance requirements, too, and we know there is 'give' on their athletic admissions, too. No excuse. It comes down to providing the physical facilities and money for tuition. They made a decision to go to D-I, they could have stayed D-III where they had a lot of success. Some people made a decision to change philosophy--but so far have failed to provide the tools to do the job. Where have we seen that in Washington before...?

Hey, ngineer, that goes to the politics board!

I agree G-Town needs to up its commitment to football. It spends far less on football than any other PL program.

ngineer
November 12th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Hey, ngineer, that goes to the politics board!I agree G-Town needs to up its commitment to football. It spends far less on football than any other PL program.

I know, I thought of that as I typed it , but I couldn't help it...;)

Go...gate
November 12th, 2006, 04:52 PM
I'm all for Georgetown. It took Fordham a decade in the PL to get their program fully up to I-AA speed. They need to be patient and so does the rest of the PL.