PDA

View Full Version : Insight into the selection Committee Process

Mattymc727
November 19th, 2014, 07:31 AM
Interview with UNH AD Marty Scarano, who discusses what will go down this weekend...

http://www.unhwildcats.com/sports/blog/2014-15/releases/81

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2014, 07:40 AM
Its at least somewhat comforting that the selection committee appears to put about as much stock in the SRS as the rest of us, which is to say not much.

Mattymc727
November 19th, 2014, 07:50 AM
Its at least somewhat comforting that the selection committee appears to put about as much stock in the SRS as the rest of us, which is to say not much.

At least he did mention the MVFC should have more teams than the CAA!

robsnotes4u
November 19th, 2014, 08:04 AM
Interesting, and thank you. I like how they look at the games in an individual sense, Nova almost beating Syracuse. I would assume they do the same on the wins by last second field goals over teams that they should have easily defeated.

I wish they would post their weekly committee polls mid season and on.

superman7515
November 19th, 2014, 08:14 AM
Yet another confirmation that the FCS playoffs are, and have always been, a regionalized set-up. Why folks on here, to this day, act amazed they might have to face a conference opponent in Round 2 is beyond me.

rokamortis
November 19th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Interesting, and thank you. I like how they look at the games in an individual sense, Nova almost beating Syracuse. I would assume they do the same on the wins by last second field goals over teams that they should have easily defeated.

I wish they would post their weekly committee polls mid season and on.

I think they need a little wiggle room in case they decide to change their mind - don't want to publish it and feel beholden to it.

I love the behind the scenes look at the committee, would love to see something similar from some of the ADs from the other conferences.

Sycamore62
November 19th, 2014, 08:27 AM
I'm just glad they arent arguing who is #4 and who is staying home at #5 like that other division

LeadBolt
November 19th, 2014, 08:33 AM
I'm just glad they arent arguing who is #4 and who is staying home at #5 like that other division

so true. In my opinion the best format for a football playoff is 16 teams. More teams are ok, fewer teams leave out potential contenders, imho.

Sycamore62
November 19th, 2014, 08:36 AM
so true. In my opinion the best format for a football playoff is 16 teams. More teams are ok, fewer teams leave out potential contenders, imho.

If it weren't for the NCAA being the one that made the money off a tournament, there would have been one years ago.

the way it is now, schools get to keep their bowl money (or share it with their conference).

MarkCCU
November 19th, 2014, 09:09 AM
Teams don’t play each other as much. It’s hard to have one formula to ascertain strength of schedule and wins and losses.

Good point.

Mattymc727
November 19th, 2014, 10:23 AM
Yet another confirmation that the FCS playoffs are, and have always been, a regionalized set-up. Why folks on here, to this day, act amazed they might have to face a conference opponent in Round 2 is beyond me.

It does play a factor, but is not as bad as it may seem. Sure, last year Lafayette was paired with UNH and the winner had to play Maine. But last year we saw Towson have to go to Illionois and Washington. Coastal had to go to Montana and North Dakota. In years past they sent UNH to Montana State, and the winner had to go to Texas to face SNHU. There was also a year when Nova went to App State and then Eastern Washington. Its a factor, but atleast it isnt four regional brackets.

superman7515
November 19th, 2014, 10:39 AM
It does play a factor, but is not as bad as it may seem. Sure, last year Lafayette was paired with UNH and the winner had to play Maine. But last year we saw Towson have to go to Illionois and Washington. Coastal had to go to Montana and North Dakota. In years past they sent UNH to Montana State, and the winner had to go to Texas to face SNHU. There was also a year when Nova went to App State and then Eastern Washington. Its a factor, but atleast it isnt four regional brackets.

I never said it was bad, just get tired of hearing people complain that James Madison might have to play New Hampshire again in the second round or South Dakota State might have to play Northern Iowa etc etc etc. It has never been set up to have everyone fly across the country as much as possible to avoid repeat games, but people still complain every season.

Mattymc727
November 19th, 2014, 10:43 AM
I never said it was bad, just get tired of hearing people complain that James Madison might have to play New Hampshire again in the second round or South Dakota State might have to play Northern Iowa etc etc etc. It has never been set up to have everyone fly across the country as much as possible to avoid repeat games, but people still complain every season.

Understood. I think we all get excited about having those inter-conference matchups because they are sexy. We rarely get to see some of these opponents in the regular season so some fans get annoyed when there is a conference rematch. Usually I dont like when UNH has to play another CAA foe in the playoffs, but I understand why it happens completely.

TypicalTribe
November 19th, 2014, 10:43 AM
One thing that helps for this year is that UNH didn't play either JMU or Villanova so if those teams matchup in the playoffs, it's not a repeat game. I much prefer those scenarios. Will be interesting to see if both UNH/Nova get seeds, if they will be in line to play each other; i.e. #2/#7.

Mattymc727
November 19th, 2014, 10:47 AM
One thing that helps for this year is that UNH didn't play either JMU or Villanova so if those teams matchup in the playoffs, it's not a repeat game. I much prefer those scenarios. Will be interesting to see if both UNH/Nova get seeds, if they will be in line to play each other; i.e. #2/#7.

I agree there, in fact I think a UNH/Nova matchup would be awesome. I want to avoid JMU simply because I think they are hot right now. But hey, as coach Mac puts it, you have to beat the best in order to be the best.

UNH Fanboi
November 19th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Very interesting interview. I am surprised how forthcoming he was in response to several of the questions.

TypicalTribe
November 19th, 2014, 11:22 AM
I agree there, in fact I think a UNH/Nova matchup would be awesome. I want to avoid JMU simply because I think they are hot right now. But hey, as coach Mac puts it, you have to beat the best in order to be the best.

I don't think JMU would be a concern until deep in the tourney. Seems like an easy fit for them to go to CCU for a second-rounder rather than Durham.

Anovafan
November 19th, 2014, 04:10 PM
I would bet the farm that Nova and UNH chain up to each other given that they didn't play each other this year.

I have seen it both ways in 2009 and 2010 and it is tough any way you slice it. In 2009, Nova had to go through UNH and W&M before winning the NC. It was brutal facing two teams that knew you so well. W&M played Nova so close and was so good that I think they would have won the NC had they been on the other side of the 14-13 battle. In 2010 Nova had to beat Delaware (#1) in the last game of the season to get in, then go to SFA (former #1 that season), go to App State (#1 overall seed, brutal trip to get there) and then go to Eastern Washington (NC winner). Nova handled SFA and App State but the trip to Cheney and the red turf was too much. And oh, guess who Nova would have faced in the final if they had beaten Eastern Washington?? Wait for it...Delaware.

Skycop27
November 19th, 2014, 05:52 PM

Dude, be careful what you wish for. JMU might might be hot but Villanova is 2 kicks away from being undefeated and probably the real number one
team in FCS.

WrenFGun
November 19th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Ideally, UNH draws Fordham/Chattanooga [1 v 8] and then JSU/ISU-R. Not easy by any stretch, but would prefer that route to playing another MVFC power or 'Nova in round 2.

centennial
November 19th, 2014, 07:45 PM
4 if not 5 MVFC teams? I guess we will see..

Drblankstare
November 19th, 2014, 07:58 PM
I'm not used to reading interviews with direct answers and zero bs. Good job

BucBisonAtLarge
November 19th, 2014, 10:49 PM
4 if not 5 MVFC teams? I guess we will see..

I saw that, too... I guess they are waiting to see if a team or two implodes on Saturday, or YSU does the unlikely in Fargo. Still, I hope this will calm the afflicted MVFC fan base.

UNH Fanboi
November 20th, 2014, 12:38 AM
Say what you will about the Committee's final product, but it sounds like they take their job seriously: Q. What’s your schedule for the weekend? A. I leave Saturday morning and I’ll be back Sunday and it’s basically a scenario where we get in and we start convening at 3. We’re all sitting in a conference room watching a bunch of football games on a bunch of TVs, one of which will be UNH and Maine no doubt. Just tracking what’s going on nationally where we’re starting to talk about the at-large possibilities. We can’t do a lot until all the automatic qualifiers are established and we’re one of them. You have to wait until the Maine-UNH game is complete for us to win the AQ or go to a tiebreaker. Q. How long will it all take? A. I think we probably start in earnest around 11 o’clock at night really putting the field together. We’ve got to wait until all the games are done, including the Western games. I know last year they were up until 4:30 in the morning. They were all zombies. They said they had to take a cold shower. Literally they went back to their rooms, took a cold shower and reconvened and finished the bracket. It has to be to ESPN by, I think, 7:30 in the morning, eight at the latest. Q. This has been a season-long discussion, correct? A. Yes, it hasn’t just been done this week. Each Tuesday I get on a phone call and we talk about the national rankings and there’s some subjectivity in this. We’ve had both regional and national calls.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 20th, 2014, 01:34 AM
Great interview - thanks for sharing the link. Glad to know that ADs sitting on the committee are more informed than coaches (i.e., coaches poll).

Mattymc727
November 20th, 2014, 06:24 AM
It actually sounds exactly like the techniques we use on this board. A number of different sources culminated with back and forth banter for 8 hours. Every year there is a complaint from somebody, but I think they do a great job.

Bisonoline
November 20th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Say what you will about the Committee's final product, but it sounds like they take their job seriously: Q. What’s your schedule for the weekend? A. I leave Saturday morning and I’ll be back Sunday and it’s basically a scenario where we get in and we start convening at 3. We’re all sitting in a conference room watching a bunch of football games on a bunch of TVs, one of which will be UNH and Maine no doubt. Just tracking what’s going on nationally where we’re starting to talk about the at-large possibilities. We can’t do a lot until all the automatic qualifiers are established and we’re one of them. You have to wait until the Maine-UNH game is complete for us to win the AQ or go to a tiebreaker. Q. How long will it all take? A. I think we probably start in earnest around 11 o’clock at night really putting the field together. We’ve got to wait until all the games are done, including the Western games. I know last year they were up until 4:30 in the morning. They were all zombies. They said they had to take a cold shower. Literally they went back to their rooms, took a cold shower and reconvened and finished the bracket. It has to be to ESPN by, I think, 7:30 in the morning, eight at the latest. Q. This has been a season-long discussion, correct? A. Yes, it hasn’t just been done this week. Each Tuesday I get on a phone call and we talk about the national rankings and there’s some subjectivity in this. We’ve had both regional and national calls.

Thanks. I wish they would be more forth coming on the regionalization thing and if the NCAA really pushes for that.