PDA

View Full Version : SLC Title comes down to the last week

blackfordpu
November 11th, 2006, 10:04 PM
With Sam Houston and McNeese State winning this week the SLC title will be decided next weekend. McNeese holds the tie breaker over Sam Houston so we need Nicholls to win.

This is the third year in a row that the SLC title (or a share of it) has come down to the SHSU/Tx State game.

If both teams win out McNeese will get the auto bid and the Kats will have to hope and pray for an at-large selection. Any chance they get one if it comes down to this?

Bearkats94
November 11th, 2006, 10:33 PM
How can we not be in as an at-large? I mean two losses to I-A and one lost to I-AA. There are teams with 3 losses in the top 15. I am totally confused.

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2006, 10:35 PM
SHSU does not meet the seven Div I wins criteria...

7-4 would include a Div II win...

blackfordpu
November 11th, 2006, 10:36 PM
SHSU does not meet the seven Div I wins criteria...

7-4 would include a Div II win...

Oh yea. *****!:bang:

Bearkats94
November 11th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Well maybe playing two I-A teams will cancel out one Div II win. I can hope.:bang:

blackfordpu
November 11th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Well maybe playing two I-A teams will cancel out one Div II win. I can hope.:bang:

Nope, its a rule. If we don't get the auto, we don't get in.

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Good thing is UCA counts as CS next year and Kats will only likely play one BS team next year, OK State...

Bearkats94
November 11th, 2006, 11:21 PM
But UCA is I-AA now I thought they are a ind. now. They are listed in the I-AA polls. I am totally confused now.

blackfordpu
November 11th, 2006, 11:23 PM
But UCA is I-AA now I thought they are a ind. now. They are listed in the I-AA polls. I am totally confused now.

They are not a I-AA/CS team yet. They are still listed at Div II. Next season they will count as a CS independent game and will count towards wins and losses where playoffs are concerned.

Bearkats94
November 11th, 2006, 11:30 PM
But sports network has them in the I-AA poll.

blackfordpu
November 11th, 2006, 11:32 PM

I know and I don't know the reasoning. I think the polls do include the transition teams in if they deserve it. UCA was in the AGS poll for a week or so. We lost to them anyway so they don't play a role in our problem.

JohnStOnge
November 12th, 2006, 02:17 AM
With Sam Houston and McNeese State winning this week the SLC title will be decided next weekend. McNeese holds the tie breaker over Sam Houston so we need Nicholls to win.

No no no...what's needed is for Texas State to win next week in the early game in order to take the pressure off the Cowboys.

BTW, it's possible to have a three way tie between McNeese, SFA, and Sam Houston. Certainly not beyond the realm of possibility as all three of the games involved could go either way.

Course what I want to see is McNeese win. But it'd sure make the game a lot more relaxing an experience if Texas State were to beat Sam Houston earlier in the day.

slycat
November 12th, 2006, 02:41 AM
dont worry texas st would love to win. itll be a good game.

TexasTerror
November 12th, 2006, 07:00 AM

UCA is Div II for RPI and scheduling purposes...

Across the board, not just in football...though in the other sports, they are in the SLC with full slates...

Freightliner
November 12th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Methinks all Cowboy Fans will be Bobcat Fans this coming Saturday. :)

TexasTerror
November 12th, 2006, 09:52 AM

Why? Yes, McNeese wants the outright title...but a win means they get the title and the auto-bid anyways. Isn't that what McNeese wants? A chance to represent the SLC in a quest for a national title?

It'd be nice to be outright, but I don't think McNeese cares as much about that as they do an auto-bid...:twocents:

nevadagriz
November 12th, 2006, 11:42 AM
What are the chances of seeing either Mcneese or SHSU in missoula for the first round? Either team would be awesome, although a second round game would be better. Good luck to both teams next week!

patssle
November 12th, 2006, 11:52 AM
well if SHSU loses and then McNeese loses, they still get the championship/playoffs. so thats why they would want us to lose...just in case.

MplsBison
November 12th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Can you still get into the playoffs with only 6 DI wins but winning a AQ conference title?

McNeese75
November 12th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Can you still get into the playoffs with only 6 DI wins but winning a AQ conference title?

Yep (Autobid conference) :nod:

McNeese75
November 12th, 2006, 12:12 PM

EAT EM UP CATS!!!!!! :D

Sam_Kats
November 12th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Hey, McNeese - I don't blame you!

Geaux Nicholls!!! :nod:

Freightliner
November 12th, 2006, 01:10 PM
well if SHSU loses and then McNeese loses, they still get the championship/playoffs. so thats why they would want us to lose...just in case.

If that happenes what about the SFA/Northwestern outcome? If SFA wins Thursday and the above happens then you have a 3 way tie at 4-2. Who gets the championship/autobid?

patssle
November 12th, 2006, 01:16 PM
I belive SFA would? Man that would suck for the SLC. A 4-6 team going to the playoffs.

Freightliner
November 12th, 2006, 01:24 PM
I belive SFA would? Man that would suck for the SLC. A 4-6 team going to the playoffs.

Try 4-7 ;going to the playoffs; and an immediate ticket to Boone, NC, or Missoula, MT:eek: :eek: :eek: :bang: :bang: :bang: xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

*can see the San Diego fans now....ugh*

beerkat
November 12th, 2006, 01:44 PM
the SLC autobid was decided when that idiot Whitten started Wade Pate against McNeese St.

Purple Pride
November 12th, 2006, 03:03 PM
UCA is Div II for RPI and scheduling purposes...

Across the board, not just in football...though in the other sports, they are in the SLC with full slates...

Breathe a sigh of relief and count yourselves lucky.:nod: :thumbsup:

cbuck
November 12th, 2006, 04:05 PM
If there is a three way time among SFA, SHSU, and McNeese, McNeese gets the autobid since McNeese beat both SFA and SHSU.

TexasTerror
November 12th, 2006, 04:38 PM
If there is a three way time among SFA, SHSU, and McNeese, McNeese gets the autobid since McNeese beat both SFA and SHSU.

Correct...xsmileyclapx

Tiebreaker based on last playoff appearance would be if all the teams were 1-1 against each other...

SFA 71
November 12th, 2006, 04:49 PM

despite not going to the playoffs, would be pretty good for SFA. Especially since they were picked for the cellar. At least someone else wouldn't be going also. :thumbsup:

SFA 71
November 12th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Try 4-7 ;going to the playoffs; and an immediate ticket to Boone, NC, or Missoula, MT:eek: :eek: :eek: :bang: :bang: :bang: xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

*can see the San Diego fans now....ugh*
almost any team from the SLC is going to have a long afternoon & a longer trip home. There's always next year. :thumbsup:

patssle
November 12th, 2006, 06:34 PM
despite not going to the playoffs, would be pretty good for SFA. Especially since they were picked for the cellar. At least someone else wouldn't be going also. :thumbsup:

your still close to the cellar with your 3-7 overall record. only SeLa is worse than that.

JohnStOnge
November 12th, 2006, 06:38 PM
almost any team from the SLC is going to have a long afternoon & a longer trip home. There's always next year. :thumbsup:

I don't know if that's true. Depends on who they play and how they match up. Also, there are no "low seeds." A team can get a home game simply by offering a large bid to host.

Frankly, I think McNeese has been getting better as the season goes on. I don't think they're any threat to win the national title, but I think they have potential to be competetive and it wouldn't shock me to see them win a first round game.

TexasTerror
November 12th, 2006, 08:02 PM
I don't know if that's true. Depends on who they play and how they match up. Also, there are no "low seeds." A team can get a home game simply by offering a large bid to host..

If McNeese gets in, they'll get a home game. No questions about it. Question is, who will come down to Lake Chuck for the game. Would be nice if Coastal Carolina got their I-AA playoff initiation in a SLC stadium! :)

blackfordpu
November 12th, 2006, 08:15 PM
If McNeese gets in, they'll get a home game. No questions about it. Question is, who will come down to Lake Chuck for the game. Would be nice if Coastal Carolina got their I-AA playoff initiation in a SLC stadium! :)

If we happen to get the autobid how much of a chance do we have of getting a home game in the first round?

blackfordpu
November 12th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Southland Conference Football Title and Playoff Hopes on the Line
Three still alive for title shot, only two can advance to playoffs as automatic qualifier.

Nov. 12, 2006

FRISCO, Texas - The 2006 Southland Conference football race has come down to the final week with three teams still alive to win the title, but only two have a shot at the SLC's automatic berth to the NCAA Playoffs. McNeese State controls its own destiny as far as the playoffs are concerned while Sam Houston State still has a shot at the postseason. Stephen F. Austin can still take a share of the SLC championship, but will not have the opportunity to advance to the playoffs.

SFA will host Northwestern State on Thursday in 7 p.m. game on FSN-Southwest. If the Lumberjacks are victorious, they would improve to 4-2 in SLC play. They would then have to have McNeese (4-1) and SHSU (4-1) lose home games on Saturday to Nicholls State and Texas State, respectively, to create tri-champions.

At 2 p.m. on Saturday, SHSU can clinch at least a share of the SLC title with a win and then sit back and wait for McNeese to host Nicholls at 7 p.m. If the Bearkats win, they would improve to 7-4 and 5-1 in SLC play and would win an outright championship and trip to the playoffs if McNeese were to lose to Nicholls.

http://southland.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/111206aaa.html

McTailGator
November 12th, 2006, 08:35 PM

Auto Bid Rules...

As long as we played 10 Games...

griz&beer
November 12th, 2006, 08:40 PM
I was at the MSU N State game last year. It was a good game. Good luck to Both teams.

TexasTerror
November 12th, 2006, 08:43 PM
If we happen to get the autobid how much of a chance do we have of getting a home game in the first round?

SHSU would put in a good bid, but attendance has not been that great this year. SHSU had good attendance the year we played WKU at home in the playoffs. I just don't think SHSU would make a good enough bid, atleast this year, to host...

Dallas Demon
November 12th, 2006, 11:05 PM
I don't know if that's true. Depends on who they play and how they match up. Also, there are no "low seeds." A team can get a home game simply by offering a large bid to host.

Frankly, I think McNeese has been getting better as the season goes on. I don't think they're any threat to win the national title, but I think they have potential to be competetive and it wouldn't shock me to see them win a first round game.

I agree.

Retro
November 12th, 2006, 11:09 PM

Hopefully San Diego, so we can put an end to all these threads!
:anim_chai

BEAR
November 12th, 2006, 11:18 PM
What there are some threads about San Diego on here???:eyebrow:

SFA 71
November 13th, 2006, 09:56 PM
your still close to the cellar with your 3-7 overall record. only SeLa is worse than that.

in the conference bug tussle. Why are you trying to put a negative slant on SFA's limited success. You're going to tick pee-wee off by making negative responses. :bawling:

SFA 71
November 13th, 2006, 10:05 PM

If McN beats Nicholls , Nicholls will be 4 - 7.
If shs beats swt, swt will be 4 - 7
After SFA beats Nw, Nw will be 4 - 7.
SFA will also be 4 - 7.:thumbsup:
Seems like we're not the losers the sambos thought we were.xazzx

Katillac
November 13th, 2006, 10:48 PM
SHSU would put in a good bid, but attendance has not been that great this year. SHSU had good attendance the year we played WKU at home in the playoffs. I just don't think SHSU would make a good enough bid, atleast this year, to host...

Actually we had less than 4,000 for that game. We had just a little more than that for th 2001 game against NAU.

TexasTerror
November 14th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Actually we had less than 4,000 for that game. We had just a little more than that for th 2001 game against NAU.

Was referring to overall attendance in 2004, not the WKU game...

The WKU game proved we're not going to get a good turnout for a playoff game unless the tickets were free (VP of Student Services would have to step up and buy'em) and even then, it would be tough...

blackfordpu
November 14th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Was referring to overall attendance in 2004, not the WKU game...

The WKU game proved we're not going to get a good turnout for a playoff game unless the tickets were free (VP of Student Services would have to step up and buy'em) and even then, it would be tough...

I think you would be suprised at the student turnout if the tickets were free for them. The word "FREE" rings loud in students ears. :rotateh:

TexasTerror
November 14th, 2006, 01:18 PM
I think you would be suprised at the student turnout if the tickets were free for them. The word "FREE" rings loud in students ears. :rotateh:

It's the weekend after Thanksgiving meaning people have to get back in town early...

For WKU, my parents (who picked me up in Huntsville on the way to Ft Worth) and I had to leave our Thanksgiving break a bit early and they dropped me in Huntsville a few hours before kickoff...

slycat
November 14th, 2006, 01:46 PM
It's the weekend after Thanksgiving meaning people have to get back in town early...

For WKU, my parents (who picked me up in Huntsville on the way to Ft Worth) and I had to leave our Thanksgiving break a bit early and they dropped me in Huntsville a few hours before kickoff...

yeah thanksgiving weekend is harsh on attendance. we were lucky to get about 10000 even though we had 13500 for shsu the week before.

Bobcat94
November 14th, 2006, 05:02 PM
15300, not 13500

blackfordpu
November 14th, 2006, 05:15 PM
15300, not 13500

You tell'em BC94! xlolx

Bearkats94
November 14th, 2006, 09:49 PM
You tell'em BC94! xlolx

I must have hit the triple zero key on my ten key.:eek: