PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 11-17

JALMOND
November 17th, 2014, 11:56 PM
And then there was one, one week left that is. One week to decide this big mess in the Big Sky. How many head to the playoffs? How many teams are upset? Who wins? Those things will finally be decided after this weekend. Here are this week's power rankings in the Big Sky (last week in parenthesis). Here we go, good luck to those who are still playing for something.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---The Eagles had last week off to prepare for their last conference game of the year. Their annual tilt in the Dam Cup will happen on Friday at Portland State, and a great way to prepare for the playoffs.

2. Montana State (2)---The Bobcats home game last week against Idaho State was expected to be great and it was as the Bobcats came through with a strong statement game. They look to solidify their playoff chances this week in the Brawl of the Wild game at Montana.

3. Idaho State (3)---The Bengals gave all they could last week in their game on the road at Montana State but just came up a little bit short. Now they have to avoid a letdown as their enter their rivalry game against a rejuvenated Weber State team.

4. Montana (5)---The Grizzlies avoided the upset bug last weekend at Southern Utah to keep their slim playoff hopes alive. A tall order to make the playoffs as they may need to win the Brawl of the Wild this weekend against Montana State and get some help nationwide.

5. Cal Poly (4)---Playoff hopes were dashed last weekend at home for the Mustangs as they fell to lowly UC-Davis. Now they have to hope that a strong win at San Diego this weekend will be enough for them to look good in the eyes of the committee.

6. Northern Arizona (6)---Just like all season, the road woes hit the Lumberjacks last weekend, falling in a big game at North Dakota. They still have a shot at the conference title and their last game is at home against Southern Utah so they can still sneak in to the playoffs.

7. Sacramento State (7)---The Hornets almost lost their game at home last weekend against Portland State, but came back in the fourth quarter. No shot at the playoffs, they will have to be content with a road win in the Causeway Classic at UC-Davis this weekend.

8. Southern Utah (8)---The Thunderbirds gave a good effort last weekend in trying to ruin Montana's season but could not get the job done. One final chance this weekend as they can put a nail on Northern Arizona's season on the road this weekend.

9. Weber State (11)---The Wildcats learned how to win and they got another one last weekend at home against Northern Colorado. Playing their best football at the end of the year, they could throw a big wrench this weekend into Idaho State's postseason plans.

10. North Dakota (12)---The No-Names came up with a big win at home last weekend, putting a dent in Northern Arizona's playoff plans. They can build on the new found momentum and go out on a high note with a win at Northern Colorado this weekend.

11. UC-Davis (13)---Given up for dead in the conference, the Aggies came to life last week, getting a win at Cal Poly. Now feeling good about themselves, they head into the Causeway Classic , bringing in Sacramento State to their home field.

12. Portland State (10)--The same mantra for the Vikings all year (Finish) did not happen last weekend as they led Sacramento State after three quarters only to watch the Hornets steal the game. Now they get a quick turnaround, playing Eastern Washington Friday at home in the Dam Cup.

13. Northern Colorado (9)---The Bears could not break through for the road win last weekend, falling to Weber State. Hoping to go out as winners, they stay home and bring in North Dakota for a big game for them.

RECAP: 1-2 together, 3 trying to keep up, 4-5 staying up there, 6 on an island, 7-11 too close to call, 12-13 falling.

tomq04
November 18th, 2014, 12:09 AM
It appears (sadly) that only EWU and the winner of the Brawl will be representing the Big Sky. Last year 3 of our 4 teams sizzles out in the 1st round, and the MVFC only got 2 guys in, I suspect they will get 4 in this year and we will be stuck with 2.

The real shame is that idaho state will lilely not have a chance to raise a ruckus.

mvemjsunpx
November 18th, 2014, 02:11 AM
It appears (sadly) that only EWU and the winner of the Brawl will be representing the Big Sky. Last year 3 of our 4 teams sizzles out in the 1st round, and the MVFC only got 2 guys in, I suspect they will get 4 in this year and we will be stuck with 2.

The real shame is that idaho state will lilely not have a chance to raise a ruckus.

Montana State will probably get in as long as they don't get killed.

NAU could still get the auto, and an at-large isn't out of the question given the lack of legit teams that can now get 7 DI wins.

Sam Houston got an at-large with 6 DI wins last year, so Idaho State isn't dead. Of course they will be dead after they lose to Weber yet again, but still…

veinup
November 18th, 2014, 10:02 AM
If it were up to me I would send EWU, MSU and ISU.

(and montana)

tomq04
November 18th, 2014, 11:06 AM

(and montana)

xlolx

wapiti
November 18th, 2014, 12:16 PM
So Who still has a shot at the playoffs?

Eastern Washington is in. A win against PSU will get them a seed and maybe even a top four seed. A loss will put them on the bubble for a seed.

Montana State is in with a win. While a loss will put it in the hands of the selection committe, but I would think odds are in favor of the Cats being in even with a loss to UM.

Idaho State is a bubble team with a win and will need losses from other bubble teams to get in. A loss and Idaho State will stay home for thanksgiving.

Montana is a bubble team with a win. A loss and the players most likely get to spend thanksgiving with their family.

Cal Poly is most likely out. Even with a win at San Diego putting them at 7 Div 1 wins, they now have 5 Div 1 losses.

Northern Arizona, a win will put them at 7 Div 1 wins with only 4 losses, but they have some bad road losses that hurt their chances. If SUU pulls the upset, NAU will be out, otherwise it will be up to the selection committee.

Sac State, A win will put them at 7 wins (1 of those against lower level), but they already have 5 losses and will probably be out.

veinup
November 18th, 2014, 01:30 PM
my gut feeling is that montana is in with a win, deserving or not.

Silenoz
November 18th, 2014, 02:12 PM
Montana State is in with a win. While a loss will put it in the hands of the selection committe, but I would think odds are in favor of the Cats being in even with a loss to UM.

Montana is a bubble team with a win. A loss and the players most likely get to spend thanksgiving with their family.

Using somewhat-circular logic... in the case we win the brawl; a road loss to NDSU > a road loss to UM

GetEmGriz
November 18th, 2014, 02:40 PM
So Who still has a shot at the playoffs?

Montana State is in with a win. While a loss will put it in the hands of the selection committee, but I would think odds are in favor of the Cats being in even with a loss to UM.

Idaho State is a bubble team with a win and will need losses from other bubble teams to get in. A loss and Idaho State will stay home for thanksgiving.

At this point, I don't see Idaho State getting in even if they beat Weber State. That'll only give them 6 DI wins on the year.

Montana State will definitely be in, even with a loss to UM.

Montana will definitely be in after beating MSU.

tomq04
November 18th, 2014, 06:23 PM
I'd be ok with Mont/MSU getting in, better than just EWU/MSU.

I still think ISU is the most deserving that won't likely get a chance.

bobcathpdevil56
November 18th, 2014, 06:42 PM
I'd be ok with Mont/MSU getting in, better than just EWU/MSU.

I still think ISU is the most deserving that won't likely get a chance.

I agree that it is disappointing that ISU will probably not get a playoff shot. I think they would have been able to play with just about anybody in the first round.

Oh well, I would just like to see the Bobcat defense come to play once. If not against the griz then who?

Red & Black
November 18th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Montana State will probably get in as long as they don't get killed.

You present this as if it were a given Montana will beat MSU. I would not make that assumption. xcoffeex

mvemjsunpx
November 18th, 2014, 08:35 PM

There's no way an 8-4 Montana is a bubble team now with what happened around FCS last week—there just aren't that many worthy teams left. It would be shocking if they weren't selected.

- - - Updated - - -

You present this as if it were a given Montana will bear MSU. I would not make that assumption. xcoffeex

That wasn't my assumption. I was saying that MSU should get in with any result that isn't an ugly loss.

Red & Black
November 18th, 2014, 08:36 PM
There's no way an 8-4 Montana is a bubble team now with what happened around FCS last week—there just aren't that many worthy teams left. It would be shocking if they weren't selected.

- - - Updated - - -

That wasn't my assumption. I was saying that MSU should get in with any result that isn't an ugly loss.

Gotcha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walkon79
November 19th, 2014, 11:48 PM

(and montana)

:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD