PDA

View Full Version : Delaware Fans

BillLuc1982
November 11th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Well, I took a road trip from DC to Newark today to see some more A-10 football. The weather was perfect, and W. Kentucky is too long of a drive and too expensive of a flight from DC. Last week was in Harrisonburg where I got to hear one of the best bands in I-AA. Today I went across the Bay Bridge to the First State.

I got a warm, cordial welcome from the UD fans. UD has some of the best fans in I-AA. The fans were knowledgeable and friendly, unlike many of last week's arrogant and unenthusiastic season ticket holders at JMU. Even the W&M fans were great! Ironically, the only two obnoxious people were JMU girls, one who had a brother playing for W&M. Even though Delaware is ineligible for the playoffs this year, they're a tough team with a loyal fan base. Unlike at JMU, I got to tailgate with some of the fans. Plenty of blue flags flying outside the stadium. I bought some Delaware-made Dogfish Head Shelter Pale Ale at 896 Liquors and drank some in the lots. I love how you're allowed alcohol unlike at Youngstown.

I ran into many tailgaters who knew about YSU. They're wonderful people to talk with. Special thanks goes out to John. I started talking with him and his friends Doug and Steve at their tailgate by the Field House. We tailgated for about an hour when we chatted about I-AA football over a few good beers. Of course we had to bring up the Toreros! :D

It turns out that John is an AGS'er (henfan). Wonderful guy. He remembered taking a trip to Youngstown and knew where they played before Stambaugh Stadium. It also turns out that they all drink and make good beer! A plus since I've been into microbrews for about 3 years. Then the game started and the fans were really into it.

Thanks again, Delaware fans, for the wonderful experience that a YSU fan had today. Next year, I will definitely be back in Newark. I also hope to make it to Richmond and back to Harrisonburg. Towson may be another possibility. I would come back to Newark next week, but OSU-Michigan is next weekend :thumbsup:

Sam Adams
November 11th, 2006, 09:41 PM
UD fans are generally a great bunch. I'm sure it was a great day in Newark.

BillLuc1982
November 11th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Actually had a Sam Adams Winter Ale there

GannonFan
November 11th, 2006, 10:10 PM
UD fans will always look fondly on the games against Youngstown - it helps that we have a good edge in those games, but many if not all were all top quality games.

I've been out to Youngstown once for the UD/YSU game back in 98 (I think that year) - just an absolutely great place to visit - great stadium, great atmosphere, and walking through the parking lot you couldn't be treated any nicer than we were - was offerred food and drink at basically every YSU tailgate just simply because we were wearing UD gear - class place and unfortunately not something you see everywhere. Good to know UD folks repay in kind.

Go...gate
November 11th, 2006, 11:08 PM
UD is a classic college FB environment. Great school spirit and friendly, knowledgable fans. :twocents:

Tubby Raymond
November 12th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Glad you had a good time, it was a beautiful dayxsmileyclapx

Eaglegus2
November 12th, 2006, 09:02 AM
I have always said that the Delaware & McNeese fans are at the top when it comes to being respective.

As far as food goes, McNeese State has them all beat hands down. Sorry Delaware fans!! When I was there (it was cold) most of the fans had chili. I don't like or eat chili.:nod: xlolx But, you guys are still in my top 2.

Needless to say, I haven't made the venture to Montana. Cap'n is after Baldy & I to make a trip to Northern Iowa. Should Georgia Southern have a repeat of this years season? I will do some visiting next year.