PDA

View Full Version : Big South week 13 picks / discussion

knucklehead
November 17th, 2014, 08:16 AM
12noon Charleston So. @ Georgia

12noon Gardner Webb @ Monmouth

1pm Liberty @ Coastal Carolina - for the Big South championship and the auto bid.

Discuss and pick away

BigSouthFan
November 17th, 2014, 09:28 AM
12noon Charleston So. @ Georgia: The DAWGS play a scattering of starters and get it done, AFTER an opening TD drive scare out of Chuck South. 38-13 UGA.

12noon Gardner Webb @ Monmouth: Garnder-Webb ends a tough schedule on a high note, Monmouth awaits the 2015 campaign to get their first Big South win in a close one. 21-17 GWU.

1pm Liberty @ Coastal Carolina: The Chants keep momentum high going into the playoffs, Liberty can't overcome a tough Chuck South loss. Chants ROLL. 45-16 CCU.

MarkCCU
November 17th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Charleston So. @ Georgia This is painfully obvious. Georgia gives it's 2nd stringers some playing time to stomp little ol Charleston Southern. 99-7 xnodx

Gardner Webb @ Monmouth - The Battle of the Bottom. Both teams are 0-4 in the conference. Monmouth is slightly better at 5-5 overall but they haven't fared well against any real competition. I think Gardner Webb takes the win. 28-3

Liberty @ Coastal Carolina - for the Big South championship and the auto bid. The toughest game for Coastal Carolina yet. Liberty is not only a rivalry, but it's not an easy victory. Liberty is playing for a chance to eek it's way into the playoffs while Coastal is playing to maintain it's perfect season and #1 spot. Even with some key players out, Liberty did alright against CSU however, the failed to finish the job. I know Woodrum is slated to start after missing out on Saturday, but will he be at 100%? Coastal has to stop tailback DJ Abnar, who until Saturday, was averaging 100 yds a game. Liberty is hyped up (just read their message board). But sadly, I truly believe that Coastal is focused and won't let Liberty rob them of a perfect season, #1 ranking and the glory. Coastal wins, hopefully by 20.

If Liberty loses, i'd say their coach gets fired.

BigSouthFan
November 17th, 2014, 10:00 AM
If Liberty loses, i'd say their coach gets fired.

I agree, that with the facilities and environment that Liberty has, they should not have any trouble getting guys in there and they SHOULD be winning. They have no reason they should not be in the playoffs year in and year out. But do you really fire Turner Gill after all those Big South titles (though shared) and yet another winning record? If they lose, this will be the first year that they lost more than one game in the conference.

knucklehead
November 17th, 2014, 10:00 AM
No way he gets fired. Just MHO

BigSouthFan
November 17th, 2014, 10:03 AM
Though I think CCU's Joe Moglia and Chuck South's Jamey Chadwell would be in a Nat'l title hunt year in and year out if they were at Liberty. IMO.

MarkCCU
November 17th, 2014, 11:57 AM
I agree, that with the facilities and environment that Liberty has, they should not have any trouble getting guys in there and they SHOULD be winning. They have no reason they should not be in the playoffs year in and year out. But do you really fire Turner Gill after all those Big South titles (though shared) and yet another winning record? If they lose, this will be the first year that they lost more than one game in the conference.

Coastal did it.

CasualFan
November 17th, 2014, 11:58 AM
That Liberty - CSU game came down to two things:
INTs by the backup QB
1 missed extra point (after 96 in a row)

Granted, CSU had picks of their own. If I see 27, I'm throwing somewhere else.

I think Liberty would be making a mistake if they fired their coach.

- - - Updated - - -

Coastal did it.
I think that had more to do with cats and dogs.

CasualFan
November 17th, 2014, 12:02 PM
12noon Charleston So. @ Georgia- Cash the check, and hope it pays for dashed playoff dreams.

12noon Gardner Webb @ Monmouth - First win in conference!

1pm Liberty @ Coastal Carolina - I'm looking for a big day from DeAngelo Henderson.

knucklehead
November 17th, 2014, 12:03 PM
CSU@UGA Georgia wins this one by 3 scores.

GWU@MU can I say neither? I got to go with Monmouth at home in a close one.

LU@CCU Have to go with LU pulling the upset by 10. The Flames will throw the kitchen sink at CCU in a must win (seems understated). Josh will be back and LU will be cooking early and hold off the Chickens late. I'm gonna say LU 44 CCU 34.

knucklehead
November 17th, 2014, 12:52 PM
The latest Warren Nolan SOS has Liberty at 13 and CCU at #56. Take it for what it's worth, I know I will.

CoastalTeal
November 17th, 2014, 01:31 PM
And it also has Pennsylvania (1-8) at #1, Presby (5-5) at #3, S. Dakota (1-9) at #4, Elon (1-10) at #7. So I'm taking it for what it's worth.

rokamortis
November 17th, 2014, 01:40 PM
And it also has Pennsylvania (1-8) at #1, Presby (5-5) at #3, S. Dakota (1-9) at #4, Elon (1-10) at #7. So I'm taking it for what it's worth.

Those are all really good teams, just their schedules wouldn't let them show it.

MarkCCU
November 17th, 2014, 01:44 PM

The Citadel @ #16
Coastal @ #56
North Dakota State @ #61

knucklehead
November 17th, 2014, 01:45 PM
I'm just giving out info, take it as you will.

MarkCCU
November 17th, 2014, 01:46 PM
I'm just giving out info, take it as you will.

His Power Index has Coastal at #1 so...take it as you will .

rokamortis
November 17th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Warren Nolan doesn't include DII teams in his SoS calculation. So the mighty Brevard College Tornadoes aren't included in the calculation. Take it as you will.

MarkCCU
November 17th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Warren Nolan doesn't include DII teams in his SoS calculation. So the mighty Brevard College Tornadoes aren't included in the calculation. Take it as you will.

Coastal doesn't play D2s so i'm not too worried. :D

knucklehead
November 17th, 2014, 01:58 PM
NCAA doesn't put it in theirs either. Sorry!

knucklehead
November 17th, 2014, 01:59 PM
His Power Index has Coastal at #1 so...take it as you will .
Hey, I agree, your team is the best I have ever seen and I can't wait till your coach takes over in Omaha.

rokamortis
November 17th, 2014, 02:20 PM
NCAA doesn't put it in theirs either. Sorry!

Are you talking about the SRS? DIIs are included, but teams get penalized for playing them.

CoastalFan2005
November 17th, 2014, 02:30 PM
LU@CCU Have to go with LU pulling the upset by 10. The Flames will throw the kitchen sink at CCU in a must win (seems understated). Josh will be back and LU will be cooking early and hold off the Chickens late. I'm gonna say LU 44 CCU 34.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/hhn.gif

knucklehead
November 17th, 2014, 03:12 PM
I am just hoping Craig Haley picks CCU. He's been a big jinx to LU in big games of late. Haha.

Laugh all you want.

New Bucs Fan
November 17th, 2014, 09:42 PM
If we don't have yet another inexplicable decision to throw a pass to the end zone on 1st and GOAL from the 4 (yes 4) yd line, we win by 16 and hang 45 on Liberty. Our turnovers equaled theirs so that's not really an excuse. Not running the read option was.more surprising.I see Coastal borrowing the wheelhammer approach and playing keep away from Liberty while running between the tackles. Coastal by 14.

knucklehead
November 18th, 2014, 11:52 AM
If Josh starts, then your ifs are canceled out. Our drives are longer and more sustained, less ints, defense more rested. We win not close. But alas, neither your ifs or my ifs matter. Its a loss for us, so congrats. Having Josh and hopefully Shells Saturday makes it game on.

BigSouthFan
November 18th, 2014, 01:01 PM
*BUMP*

More Coastal - Liberty score predictions?

jmrepak
November 18th, 2014, 01:30 PM
*BUMP*

More Coastal - Liberty score predictions?
My head tells me 52-28 Coastal domination, but Liberty normally plays us a little closer than that. Maybe 45-31, but Teal still owns the day.

#BeatLiberty

knucklehead
November 18th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Question, since the teams are similar to last year's teams that went to 2OR, why you see a dominant win?

I see a back and forth slugfest coming down to the end. Of course, I also see LU pulling away and winning to return last year's nasty favor. Hopefully with a fake punt thrown in. Lol

jmrepak
November 18th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Question, since the teams are similar to last year's teams that went to 2OR, why you see a dominant win?

I see a back and forth slugfest coming down to the end. Of course, I also see LU pulling away and winning to return last year's nasty favor. Hopefully with a fake punt thrown in. Lol
I see domination for three reasons.

1. Our team has a much better defense than it did last year, and even if your starting QB returns he will be rusty or at least not 100% based on the description I've heard of the injury.

2. The game is in Conway this year, and Liberty is probably one of only a handful of FCS teams with a home field advantage based on the quality of your facilities and fan base.

3. Common opponents. We demolished the same CSU team you lost to last week. They are just as much our rival as Liberty and they came in amped up for our game as well. LU didn't have the starting QB for that one so let's go back one more week to Monmouth who we just beat by 31 and it took the Flames until the forth quarter to put them away.

Any Given Saturday is always the case, but the above reasons are why I expect domination.

CasualFan
November 18th, 2014, 04:02 PM

I also see CCU's defense as much improved. They are doing a much better job of bending but not breaking. Still giving up a lot of yards and staying on the field, but not giving up near as many points. I know, they haven't played anybody...

The offense isn't quite as high powered as last year's, it did not drop off very much. I think CCU's depth at receiver will be a huge advantage. They are a bit more balanced than last year, spreading receptions around. Ross has more targets so he can stay away from Hagen. Running the football, Henderson isn't as consistent as Taliaferro but is more of a threat to break a big one. If he has the same size holes as Reyes did, your D is in for a long day.

Peterson scares me, and he will play on Sundays. As will Hagen. Peterson is better than Hazel was for us last year. But even a monster game from him will be about 12 plays.

I'm calling a CCU win, but nothing will surprise me. It is a rivalry after all.

knucklehead
November 18th, 2014, 04:07 PM
2 good breakdowns. good thoughts on Hagan and Peterson too. If Shells is back, he can be deadly as well. Thanks.

My next question is, who is the best qb you guys have faced this year? Saw it asked on the LU Fan board but wanted to see more opinions.

jmrepak
November 18th, 2014, 04:39 PM
2 good breakdowns. good thoughts on Hagan and Peterson too. If Shells is back, he can be deadly as well. Thanks.

My next question is, who is the best qb you guys have faced this year? Saw it asked on the LU Fan board but wanted to see more opinions.
Well I would say Hill based on his stats, but he didn't play last week. Blazejowski was very good in our game against him especially considering it was his first start. Look no further than his performance last week to prove he has the chops. Charlotte's QB was also pretty good, and has the ability to go long and score fast. Pick any of those for the best QB thus far that you want. At the end of the day Woodrum will probably be the best we've faced to date, but we don't even know if he will be able to play or to what level yet. He still going to have problems with our D though. Our DL along with the LB's have been swallowing up the run and really breaking through OL's that we face to hurry/sack the QB. Additionally, our secondary is excellent in man-to-man. Our only D shortfall is when we play zone. In my opinion, that coverage is too soft and we give up 7-10 yards too easily.

CasualFan
November 18th, 2014, 05:31 PM

No one as good as Woodrum, that's for sure.

I was debating about Charlotte. That game was over so fast though -- CCU's first 6 possessions were 5 TD with a missed FG in the middle, then Charlotte finally put some points on the board. I'm pretty sure CCU eased off the gas.

Monmouth was one dimensional. Their back Chaney had one long run, but other than that nothing. DePugh had a decent completion %, but a lot of times it was short passes for not enough yards. CCU just kept everything in front of them and made the sure tackle. He did throw some picks...

A&T's QB drives me nuts because he runs so well, but he had a horrible day throwing the ball against us. Without the -3 turnover differential, we would have pasted them. I know their fans would like another shot. I wouldn't mind seeing them again in the playoffs.

Furman's Blazejowski had a decent day, but like the Furman-Wofford game he didn't throw much. They were 3:1 rush to pass. He did complete 12 of 19 for 127.

knucklehead
November 18th, 2014, 08:29 PM
Well I would say Hill based on his stats, but he didn't play last week. Blazejowski was very good in our game against him especially considering it was his first start. Look no further than his performance last week to prove he has the chops. Charlotte's QB was also pretty good, and has the ability to go long and score fast. Pick any of those for the best QB thus far that you want. At the end of the day Woodrum will probably be the best we've faced to date, but we don't even know if he will be able to play or to what level yet. He still going to have problems with our D though. Our DL along with the LB's have been swallowing up the run and really breaking through OL's that we face to hurry/sack the QB. Additionally, our secondary is excellent in man-to-man. Our only D shortfall is when we play zone. In my opinion, that coverage is too soft and we give up 7-10 yards too easily.
By the way Liberty is #7 in the country with only 9 sacks allowed.

kdinva
November 18th, 2014, 08:34 PM
Charleston So. 21 @ Georgia 51

Gardner Webb 26 @ Monmouth 23

Liberty 27 @ Coastal Carolina 40

jmrepak
November 18th, 2014, 10:50 PM
By the way Liberty is #7 in the country with only 9 sacks allowed.
By the way, Coastal has 27 sacks on the year which is one short of our single season record. Looks like we'll just have to correct the stat book after Saturday. xthumbsupx

rokamortis
November 19th, 2014, 06:20 AM
By the way, Coastal has 27 sacks on the year which is one short of our single season record. Looks like we'll just have to correct the stat book after Saturday. xthumbsupx

But they have a tougher strength of schedule so our stats don't count.

knucklehead
November 19th, 2014, 11:48 AM
But they have a tougher strength of schedule so our stats don't count.
No the stats are important too. Again, I hope LU's stats show that their O Line is better and will give whoever the qb is some space.

bodoyle
November 19th, 2014, 02:20 PM
I am just hoping Craig Haley picks CCU. He's been a big jinx to LU in big games of late. Haha.

Laugh all you want.

And you think he is good luck for us? lol I don't think anyone likes him.

knucklehead
November 19th, 2014, 02:59 PM
And you think he is good luck for us? lol I don't think anyone likes him.
Got that right.

CSU18
November 19th, 2014, 03:10 PM
12noon Charleston So. @ Georgia - With Gurley out for the season, we've got a shot (just kidding). I'm interested to see what the line on this one ends up being. Hopefully the Bucs don't get run out of Athens. I got UGA by 21 points.

12noon Gardner Webb @ Monmouth - should be a good one. I'm thinking Monmouth pulls this one out 24-21, only because they're at home.

1pm Liberty @ Coastal Carolina - for the Big South championship and the auto bid. - CCU is too much for Liberty. I keep hearing a lot of talk about not having their QB last week, and I understand the implications of not having him. I do not, however, understand why people think 1 player will make that big of a difference. CSU lost their starting QB in late September last year, and continued to play good football with the backup. Next man up mentality is what is needed. Coastal wins this one by 28.

knucklehead
November 20th, 2014, 06:32 AM
I just don't see a blowout, But we shall see. From 2ot winner to 28pt winner?

knucklehead
November 20th, 2014, 09:38 AM
It's official, Haley picked CCU, LU will win. Thank you very much!!! Haha http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_11_20_2014.htm

knucklehead
November 20th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Gill says Woodrum is out. Masha will start.

CasualFan
November 21st, 2014, 12:30 PM
Current count:

Georgia (6 votes) over Charleston Southern (0 votes)
Monmouth (3 vote) tied with Gardner-Webb (0 votes)
Coastal (5 votes) over Liberty (1 vote)

I may have missed some, but if I didn't see all three picks I didn't count it.

knucklehead
November 21st, 2014, 12:54 PM
Yay, I'm going solo.

CasualFan
November 21st, 2014, 01:13 PM
Yay, I'm going solo.
If they win you can perform a special "I told you so" dance.

xdrunkyx

knucklehead
November 21st, 2014, 01:27 PM
Yep. I went over to Coastal Fans and a ton of folks seem to think that CC wins by a ton. I just don't see it. Masha looked really good for the last three quarters Saturday. With a week of practice and planning and the starting center back, he will be hard to stop. It will be both close and high scoring. It might even top the over of 74.

knucklehead
November 22nd, 2014, 09:09 PM
If they win you can perform a special "I told you so" dance.

xdrunkyx

YEE HAWxhypedxxhurrayxxthumbsupx

knucklehead
November 22nd, 2014, 09:39 PM
Highlights!! GO FLAMES! History! and with a RS Freshman back-up qb @ Conway! WOW!

http://youtu.be/wgOJ1F48nrE