PDA

View Full Version : AGS Official Contest: 2014 Selection Sunday Projection Challenge

MTfan4life
November 16th, 2014, 08:45 PM
AGS Contest: 2014 Playoff Projection Challenge

It's about that time to get this thing rolling again. It's going to be exactly the same as last season. Your task, if you choose to accept, is to pick the 24 playoff teams. The person who comes away with the most points will win a $50 gift card from the vendor of your choice as long as it can be purchased online.

You will also recieve on of these highly coveted and very rare user bars. I believer there are but four or five of these on the board at any given time as they go to only official contest winners.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/buttons/Non%20POTY%20userbars-Troy/playa.png

It will be a little more broken down than simply picking the 24 teams, so here are the directions:

First, pick the top 8 seeds, ranking them in order from 1-8.
Second, pick the remaining 16 teams who will be playing in the first round. You won't have to match them up with another team, however you are asked to designate whether you think they will be a first round home team or a first round away team.

At the bottom of this post, there will be a link to a form that looks just like the form we use for the AGS Poll ballots.

Rules:
There is now a drop down list so just pick your team. To save time, I just picked every team from a participating conference that had at least 5 wins. If you wish to select a team that is not on your list, just fill out your ballot on a sheet of paper and place it in your trash can.

Please be registered as an AGS member. You don't have to have posted on AGS to participate, just as long as you're an official member.

Scoring breakdown
Seeds:
3 points for correctly picking each numbered seed in the correct spot - If you have a team in the wrong spot but as a seed, that's just 1 point.
10 points for correctly picking the top 8 seeds in the correct order

First round teams:
3 points for correctly picking a team as being either the home or away team - Just like above, 1 point for that selection if in the wrong spot.
10 points for correctly designating all 16 teams as home or away. If you have all 16 teams but some are in the wrong home/away spot, 5 points.

Total bracket:
10 bonus points for simply picking all 24 teams regardless of placement.

The scoring is subject to change but only before the deadline. This will likely stay the same, I just figured I'd think on it more before finalizing.

Tiebreaker:
1. Most overall teams correctly selected in the field of 24.
2. Most correctly placed seeds.
3. Most seeds picked regardless of accuracy on seed.
4. If no clear winner emerges from all of this, a two-man sack race will be held on consecutive Sundays until a champion can be crowned.

Deadline:
Your projections are due Saturday, November 22 at 11:59 PM (Central). That's as close to Selection time as I'll allow. You can do it at any time during this week. **The deadline may be subject to change, but probably not again**

Form:
MAKE YOUR PICKS HERE (http://goo.gl/forms/PIamEdnrwk)

superman7515
November 16th, 2014, 08:47 PM
If you wish to select a team that is not on your list, just fill out your ballot on a sheet of paper and place it in your trash can.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

MTfan4life
November 16th, 2014, 08:47 PM
When you make your picks come back to the thread and let it be known that you've submitted. This one does not have an email response with your answers tied to it so it will help me to make sure it landed and also will help us in the bumping up of this thread to get it in front of as many people as possible.

This one will need its share of 'bumps' to keep people notified of the contest.

For this I'll give a sample example of what you're doing. I'll use FBS teams but it's the same concept.
1. Alabama
2. Florida State
3. Oregon
4. Mississippi State
5. Baylor
6. TCU
7. Ohio State
8. Michigan State

First round Home Teams
Mississippi
Auburn
UCLA
Arizona
Georgia
Notre Dame
Wisconsin
Utah

First Round Away Teams
Cincinnati
Marshall
Louisiana-Lafayette
Northern Illinois
Utah State
Arizona State
Georgia Tech
Kansas State

Simple as that.

frozennorth
November 16th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Submitted because otherwise I won't bother after next weeks games.

jacoj21
November 16th, 2014, 10:37 PM
Submitted

MTfan4life
November 17th, 2014, 12:39 PM
One more thing, please remember that each conference needs a representative in your list of teams if you want a chance at getting them all right. Here are the 11 conferences that have bids, you can cross off each one as you enter teams.
Big Sky
Big South
Colonial
MEAC
MVFC
NEC
OVC
Patriot
Pioneer
Southern
Southland

SHUAlumni55
November 17th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Good catch. completely forgot to put in Pioneer League rep in! Is it possible to revise?

MR. CHICKEN
November 18th, 2014, 08:40 AM
20059............TIE BREAKER......xrulesx.....AWQ?

BisonFan02
November 18th, 2014, 01:26 PM
20059............TIE BREAKER......xrulesx.....AWQ?

Potato sack race on consecutive Sundays until a champion is crowned.

MTfan4life
November 18th, 2014, 04:17 PM
There are 10 responses to the form, yet only 3 people have posted here that they submitted an entry.

When you make your picks come back to the thread and let it be known that you've submitted. This one does not have an email response with your answers tied to it so it will help me to make sure it landed and also will help us in the bumping up of this thread to get it in front of as many people as possible.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 18th, 2014, 04:51 PM
Hmm, not gonna be much competition for the gift card this year? Cool by me.

BisonFan02
November 18th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Gamers understand....advantage to those that see Saturdays games....I will submit that night.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 18th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Gamers understand....advantage to those that see Saturdays games....I will submit that night.

Ah, i thought this had to be done before the games this weekend. This kinda throws a wrench into something I was planning but so be it.

BisonFan02
November 18th, 2014, 06:02 PM
Ah, i thought this had to be done before the games this weekend. This kinda throws a wrench into something I was planning but so be it.

xrulesx Im sure it leaves plenty of work....but im playing to win! :D

BisonFan02
November 18th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Haha...just read the rules...its now subject to change. :)

dudeitsaid
November 18th, 2014, 06:15 PM
I have effectively predicted the future... This years playoff field and seeding has been submitted.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 18th, 2014, 07:07 PM

I didn't change it. The wrench thrown in doesn't have anything to do with making more work or anything. I was just thinking of using this for another purpose as well but it won't be useful it goes that late is all.

MTfan4life
November 18th, 2014, 08:00 PM

It's been subject to change the whole time. xthumbsupx

BisonFan02
November 18th, 2014, 08:28 PM
It's been subject to change the whole time. xthumbsupx

Didn't read that far xlolx ;)

Gangtackle11
November 19th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Submitted.

MTfan4life
November 19th, 2014, 07:22 PM
So far there have been 15 brackets submitted, but 11 people participating. Reminder to please post here when you submit a bracket.

clenz
November 19th, 2014, 07:24 PM
I'll be in eventually

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ElCid
November 19th, 2014, 07:42 PM
I will also be in eventually, but got to wait for Saturday. Could be some movers.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 19th, 2014, 11:51 PM
What time is this ending Saturday night? An hour after Richmond/W&M? 2 hrs.?

Southern Bison
November 20th, 2014, 07:38 AM
I'll submit mine on Saturday night.

MR. CHICKEN
November 20th, 2014, 07:42 AM
What time is this ending Saturday night? An hour after Richmond/W&M? 2 hrs.?

20093....RULES STATE....DEADLINE.....NOVEMBERAH 23rd....9:37 AM....CST...........xscanxxrulesxxscanx........AWK !

DILEMMA ALERT....HMM!.....WEEK 13 TV GAMES THREAD....SAYS NOV. 23RD SELECTION SHOW...ON DUH "U"......10:00 AM...NO MENTION UH TIME ZONE....IFIN' IT'S EASTERN......?????????.........xeyebrowxxdontknowx xeyebrowx....BRAWK!

PS.......TIE-BREAKERAH??....MOST POST COUNT/CHICKEN AVATAR/+10 PTS...IFIN' YER FROM DUH VALLEY?.....SHOOD TAKE DUH PAIN OUTTAH OWN-LAH GETTIN' 3/4 IN!

SENT FROM MAH COMPUTER.....HAL

Mattymc727
November 20th, 2014, 07:47 AM
I submitted one

NHwildEcat
November 20th, 2014, 08:32 AM
I am in.

Bisonator
November 20th, 2014, 09:14 AM
I'll be in Saturday night. Seems stupid to submit before Saturdays games.

Mattymc727
November 20th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Can we change the deadline? Seems like a HUUUGE advantage in waiting.

Bisonator
November 20th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Can we change the deadline? Seems like a HUUUGE advantage in waiting.

Of course it is, so why did you submit already?xdontknowx

clenz
November 20th, 2014, 09:31 AM
Of course it is, so why did you submit already?xdontknowx
This.

I don't want to call people morans...but...

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/dilireus/get-a-brain-morans.jpg

Everyone has the same opportunity - why complain at those who chose to use it?

If I was your investment manager and I said "You can invest in this opportunity for $100 now and get $500 in returns OR you can wait 3 days and get $10,000" and you decide to go for $500 I'd laugh you out of my office and tell you to not come back. Same thing applies here.

Mattymc727
November 20th, 2014, 09:37 AM
Well for one, I didnt read the deadline, because I assumed it would be before the weekend, which makes it a lot more fun.

Second, Ill be doing something much more awesome than hanging out on an internet message board between Saturday and Sunday Morning.

Bisonator
November 20th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Well for one, I didnt read the deadline, because I assumed it would be before the weekend, which makes it a lot more fun.

Next time read the rules moran! xrulesx

xpeacex

Mattymc727
November 20th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Next time read the rules moran! xrulesx

xpeacex

Not sure you can call me that if you spell it wrong....

And put more emphasis on my second point

Bisonator
November 20th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Not sure you can call me that if you spell it wrong....

And put more emphasis on my second point

It's spelled wrong on purpose. ;)

clenz
November 20th, 2014, 09:49 AM
It's spelled wrong on purpose. ;)
I even posted the ****ing meme this time.

I didn't realize people didn't understand a meme from 2003 until about a month ago when I said the same thing and got called on it.

I post that meme probably twice a month

Bisonator
November 20th, 2014, 09:50 AM
I even posted the ****ing meme this time.

I didn't realize people didn't understand a meme from 2003 until about a month ago when I said the same thing and got called on it.

I post that meme probably twice a month

What do you expect from morans? xlolx

clenz
November 20th, 2014, 09:50 AM
How long did it take you to fill that out? 5 minutes? If that?

I can find 5 minutes between 9PM Central Winning Time and 7AM Central Winning Time Sunday morning to submit the bracket.

Mattymc727
November 20th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Probably took me 5 minutes. But ill be away from my comp all night saturday and probably wont care/be too drunk to care enough to do it on my phone.

Its ok, Ill take the L if something crazy happens. I already have my badge.

MTfan4life
November 20th, 2014, 10:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0spFY1I2NQ

clenz
November 20th, 2014, 10:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0spFY1I2NQ
http://memecrunch.com/meme/1SCUX/thats-the-dumbest-thing-i-ve-ever-heard/image.png

NHwildEcat
November 20th, 2014, 10:17 AM
I submitted early, because I already know the results.

I have paid off the proper teams, and I am 100% correct. I can see the future.

BisonFan02
November 20th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Probably took me 5 minutes. But ill be away from my comp all night saturday and probably wont care/be too drunk to care enough to do it on my phone.

Its ok, Ill take the L if something crazy happens. I already have my badge.

That badge goes away unless you win again...... :(

Mattymc727
November 20th, 2014, 10:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvMq2YZloZM

- - - Updated - - -

That badge goes away unless you win again...... :(

Well poop.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 20th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Look guys, this is gonna be done Saturday night...not Sunday morning. That is being worked on between MTFan and me and we'll have it sorted later today...but trust me it's gonna be Saturday night.

Also if you want to submit now and you have a conflict that you want to choose the winner between W&M/Richmond and so foth then this can easily be handled in advance as well.

Lastly, if you have your picks in early and you want to change a couple Saturday night and you send a pm to MTFan as early as possible then I'm certain he will change it for you. If you submitted early you are not gonna be penalized.

MTfan4life
November 20th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Well, as I said, the deadline is subject to change and it has changed to midnight that Saturday night after the games. Which time zone that falls under, I haven't decided yet, but it will likely be either Mountain or Central.

Lastly, if you have your picks in early and you want to change a couple Saturday night and you send a pm to MTFan as early as possible then I'm certain he will change it for you. If you submitted early you are not gonna be penalized.

Emphasis on let me know if you want to make changes so I can pick that out in the responses. There's one person who has submitted several brackets without any notifications.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 20th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Players, running this stuff is never easy even when YOU are doing things to the letter as per the instructions.

So help MTFan out and listen to wtf he is saying if you would. He gave fairly simple, concise directions on this process...follow them!

RabidRabbit
November 20th, 2014, 01:44 PM
I've submitted. But if Liberty wins, and MT wins, and SDSU loses xrolleyesx then, yep, I submit new combos.

Fordham getting a seed w/o an FBS win and the slaughter vs Nova. Them and Coastal could be in trouble with L's for a seed.

grizband
November 20th, 2014, 03:07 PM
I'll be inthis weekend. Point question, why not one point got each team correctly chosen, then another pint for correctly choosing home or away? Just curious

BisonFan02
November 21st, 2014, 09:12 AM
Submitted....nervous about a few of the Saturday matchups mucking it up, but I won't be back in time Sat night to do anything. Fingers crossed xlolx

clenz
November 21st, 2014, 09:20 AM
4:05 Central Winning Time kick on Saturday

Game ends at rougly 7:20 Central Winning Time

Takes me about 15 minutes to get to my car

Another 10-15 to get out of the lot

Probably need to feed the fat guy before the drive home

a little over an hour drive home

I'm probably home at 9-930 Central Winning Time Saturday night.

I'll risk it. I should be good unless they go to Atlantic time, or some crazy thing like that.

BisonFan02
November 21st, 2014, 09:22 AM
4:05 Central Winning Time kick on Saturday

Game ends at rougly 7:20 Central Winning Time

Takes me about 15 minutes to get to my car

Another 10-15 to get out of the lot

Probably need to feed the fat guy before the drive home

a little over an hour drive home

I'm probably home at 9-930 Central Winning Time Saturday night.

I'll risk it. I should be good unless they go to Atlantic time, or some crazy thing like that.

I'm not going to be able to leave Fargo until around 7-8pm and I've got a 3 1/2 hour drive back....

IBleedYellow
November 21st, 2014, 03:12 PM
Just finishing mine up here.

MTfan4life
November 22nd, 2014, 01:06 PM
Just a reminder that the official deadline for this is tonight at 11:59 PM Central.

clenz
November 22nd, 2014, 01:20 PM
Just a reminder that the official deadline for this is tonight at 11:59 PM Central Winning Time.
FIFY

MTfan4life
November 22nd, 2014, 01:25 PM
FIFY

http://memecrunch.com/meme/1SCUX/thats-the-dumbest-thing-i-ve-ever-heard/image.png

clenz
November 22nd, 2014, 01:28 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/22/8da77da79498ee842f6a2015b451b7eb.jpg
Fify again

MTfan4life
November 22nd, 2014, 02:52 PM
Fify again

Very good, very good. You know something? NO SOUP FOR YOU!!! Come back, ONE YEAR!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNwbjcuQUv8

Rabbit74
November 22nd, 2014, 08:20 PM
Submitted mine

gotts
November 22nd, 2014, 09:12 PM
submitted an entry that should be competitive

for last place

MTfan4life
November 22nd, 2014, 09:39 PM
This is the time to submit! About 2 and a half hours left before the deadline. We're trying to do a fun faux selection committee with this, so we'd like to have as many entries as possible! xthumbsupx

KPSUL
November 22nd, 2014, 09:40 PM
Submitted

Bisonator
November 22nd, 2014, 09:51 PM
I'm in.

Fear the Bird
November 22nd, 2014, 09:54 PM
I'm in

Anovafan
November 22nd, 2014, 10:25 PM
Submitted

ursus arctos horribilis
November 22nd, 2014, 10:29 PM
Good job guys! Keep em' rolling in.

If you submitted early and need to change something make sure and get that in as well.

taper
November 22nd, 2014, 10:58 PM
Submitted. Tried to guess the committee's mind rather than what it should be.

ElCid
November 22nd, 2014, 10:58 PM
Submitted

clenz
November 22nd, 2014, 11:00 PM
In....

JLP
November 22nd, 2014, 11:04 PM
I created an account specifically for this contest. I'm in.

BisonTru
November 22nd, 2014, 11:07 PM
Done.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 22nd, 2014, 11:09 PM
I created an account specifically for this contest. I'm in.

That is good to hear and welcome aboard good sir. Good luck, you are competing against some sharp mofo's.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 22nd, 2014, 11:10 PM
That is good to hear and welcome aboard good sir. Good luck, you are competing against some sharp mofo's.

or madam, I shouldn't try guessing at these things with limited info. like that! xlolx

BisonFan02
November 22nd, 2014, 11:24 PM
Too many changes needed to be made after my first one...just resubmitted. If it causes too much of an issue, just toss my submission.

MTfan4life
November 22nd, 2014, 11:24 PM
or madam, I shouldn't try guessing at these things with limited info. like that! xlolx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR8cSyL7WhU

MTfan4life
November 22nd, 2014, 11:25 PM
Too many changes needed to be made after my first one...just resubmitted. If it causes too much of an issue, just toss my submission.

One user submitted 4 without much of a peep, so you're good! xthumbsupx

clenz
November 22nd, 2014, 11:28 PM
One user submitted 4 without much of a peep, so you're good! xthumbsupx

I get a lot of that with my games...

I really should start following my "double entry means everything is thrown out rule"

Same 2 or 3 users every single week.

It's not like a "oh I accidentally double clicked" thing either. They are hours/days apart some times.

Catbooster
November 22nd, 2014, 11:46 PM
submitted

ursus arctos horribilis
November 22nd, 2014, 11:57 PM
I get a lot of that with my games...

I really should start following my "double entry means everything is thrown out rule"

Same 2 or 3 users every single week.

It's not like a "oh I accidentally double clicked" thing either. They are hours/days apart some times.

hey man, I can't remember what I've done or when I did it so cut me some slack!

clenz
November 23rd, 2014, 12:00 AM
hey man, I can't remember what I've done or when I did it so cut me some slack!

It's not you (since you aren't playing this year)

I won't call them out by name in this thread...

but one is a diseased bunny, so to speak, and the other clucks and lives in a warm climate.

- - - Updated - - -

Alos, it's not midnight Central Winning Time...

GAME CLOSED

ursus arctos horribilis
November 23rd, 2014, 12:06 AM
breakthrough post.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 23rd, 2014, 12:08 AM
It's not you (since you aren't playing this year)

well then my point is more cogent now than before even!

tomq04
November 23rd, 2014, 12:53 AM
I voted early and often

MTfan4life
November 23rd, 2014, 10:25 AM
It'll be a while before these results come out. It's quite the annoying process. They'll get out eventually, though. The next contest, the real contest will start asap, though. I'll get the thread for that posted.

MTfan4life
November 25th, 2014, 05:16 PM
JLP

clenz

rabidrabbit

Fear the Bird

BisonTru

Anovafan

Bisonator

taper

KPSUL

Fargobison

BisonFan02

melloware13

footballer23

pantherrob82

catbooster

DCharles

ElCid

smilo

4grz

MTfan4life

IBleedYellow

siegegun

gotts

FordhamFan

Dudeitsaid

tomq04

SHUAlumni55

Rabbit74

NHWildECat

thunderstruck

jacoj21

Professor Chaos

Blackbeard

PurpleStreamers

UNHFan@RWU

frozen_north

Gangtackle11

bjtheflamesfan

Finally I was able to calculate the results. Five people correctly picked all 24 teams in the playoffs. Mad props to JLP who very nearly filled out a perfect bracket. For reference, the people in bold are those who submitted before Saturday's games.

clenz
November 25th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Im starting to feel bad for being at/so near the top of every game i enter

ursus arctos horribilis
November 25th, 2014, 05:44 PM

You sound like a dick. You got waxed by JLP if it's any consolation.

MTfan4life
November 25th, 2014, 05:46 PM

You just must have oracle abilities; better put those to use in the bracket challenge so you can test out your skill against a competition with more than 100 AGSers!

BisonFan02
November 26th, 2014, 08:23 AM
You sound like a dick. You got waxed by JLP if it's any consolation.

He's a UNI fan....being a runner up is outstanding! :D

clenz
November 26th, 2014, 08:43 AM
He's a UNI fan....being a runner up is outstanding! :D
I said near...I'd call second place (even if it's by a a mile) near the top.

FWIW, I'm in a CFB distributor pick em pool for college football through work, presented by Mitzubishi, with 11,623 people submitting picks...I'm 41st....xcoffeex

xsmiley_wix

JLP
November 26th, 2014, 08:48 AM
Not a bad result for someone who specifically created an account for this contest and has a post count of 3... xbowx

ursus arctos horribilis
November 26th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Not a bad result for someone who specifically created an account for this contest and has a post count of 3... xbowx

Indeed. Send me a pm and let me know what brand of gift card works. Might not be able to get to it until Monday but make sure get in touch to get your swag. Nice work!

bjtheflamesfan
November 27th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Dead last...lovely...