PDA

View Full Version : Talley & Gattuso get after each other after Nova win over Albany

Gangtackle11
November 16th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Your take?

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/villanova/20141116_Villanova__Albany_football_coaches_have_a ngry_words_after_Wildcats_victory.html

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 16th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Without being there or knowing the true context It's hard to tell what really happened. With that said....

This is not a Temple vs 'Nova thing. Why is Talley despised by so many people? The one thing you constantly hear about Talley is him being a complete ***hole. He must have very thick skin....

dwtime
November 16th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Nothing wrong with what Talley did, UNH ran their Senior walk on RB on their last series as well against Delaware.

PAllen
November 16th, 2014, 01:26 PM
The kid had 6 carries for 18 yards as a career total coming into the game. It's senior night. The kid is a senior walk-on who probably hadn't seen the field all night. Lighten up Francis.

BisonFan02
November 16th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Lots of "wrongs" flying around. Talley didn't need to drop the "experience and championship" until you do that comments either. I personally see nothing wrong with running the ball and giving 2nds and 3rds reps...especially seniors and walkons...much ado about nothing.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 16th, 2014, 01:29 PM
The kid had 6 carries for 18 yards as a career total coming into the game. It's senior night. The kid is a senior walk-on who probably hadn't seen the field all night. Lighten up Francis.

I agree. Letting the kid carry the ball is fine. I have no problem when college teams, with true backups, finish out the game rather than taking a knee.

FargoBison
November 16th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Walk ons in basketball games always try to score/make plays and nobody cares, Albany's coach needs to toughen up. It wasn't like Nova was throwing bombs with their starting QB.

danefan
November 16th, 2014, 01:36 PM
I was surprised Talley left Robertson in as long he did but it didn't offend me. Talley took the chance of injury.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with the runs at the end of the game. I did see Gattuso and Talley jawing at midfield but didn't think it was over that.

Oh well. People get fired up. Gattuso is a very competitive guy. I'm sure he was frustrated with losing again. Maybe just taking out frustration in an odd place.

HailSzczur
November 16th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Knowing Fred, and knowing how hard he's worked and how he's battled injuries he's picked up playing scout team, he 100% deserved that. Albany's coach needs to shut up, admit we were better than them, and move on.

PantherRob82
November 16th, 2014, 01:47 PM
Gattuso seems like the douche here. His comments were over the top. He could have expressed his displeasure (which was unwarranted IMO) in a much better way.

HailSzczur
November 16th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Talley only avoids taking knees when there is a good reason. Like last night against Albany, or back in '09 vs the always Klassy K.C. Keeler

superman7515
November 16th, 2014, 01:52 PM
If Gattuso is that soft, there's an opening at Incarnate Word.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?164371-What-s-up-at-U-Incarnate-Word

kalm
November 16th, 2014, 02:18 PM
I've heard good things about Talley. Albany coach needs to figure out how to not be in that position.

caribbeanhen
November 16th, 2014, 03:34 PM
Well the Albany coach just made himself look like a hothead, Im all for letting the Senior walk on run the ball a few times, that's college sports

CatsWinCatsWinCatsWin
November 16th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Andy has way too much class to try and show up another coach. It's not like they were on the goal line. The first run was from the Villanova 30 or so. If he scored, then the Albany D would be to blame for a 70 yard TD, not a walkon, or coach. It's a good thing that Albany kept their first string defense on the field.

From what I've heard, Fred is a great kid and deserved his carries on Senior Night. I met his parents at the William and Mary game. Nice people.

Not a good way for the Albany coach to introduce himself to Andy. Enjoy your off season coach.

CHIP72
November 16th, 2014, 04:06 PM
Your take?

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/villanova/20141116_Villanova__Albany_football_coaches_have_a ngry_words_after_Wildcats_victory.html

Being at the game, I thought it was odd when Villanova didn't kneel down, but after O'Connor's first carry elicited a big cheer from the Wildcats' sideline, it was pretty obvious that O'Connor was a senior walk-on or a senior who didn't play much. In that context I don't have a problem with the two runs, or at least the first run. (I do think the second run should have been a kneel down, especially considering the first run gained 19 yards.)

DanesRGood
November 16th, 2014, 05:51 PM
As an Albany fan I like Gattuso's fire and willingness to speak his mind. I'm sure it will get him in trouble along the way but so be it. As for the senior walk-on, there were PLENTY of opportunities to get him in the game since it was out of hand early in the second half. If it was THAT important to him he should have done it earlier. Both are wrong.

CHIP72
November 16th, 2014, 06:27 PM
As an Albany fan I like Gattuso's fire and willingness to speak his mind. I'm sure it will get him in trouble along the way but so be it. As for the senior walk-on, there were PLENTY of opportunities to get him in the game since it was out of hand early in the second half. If it was THAT important to him he should have done it earlier. Both are wrong.

I don't totally agree. Albany did cut the score from 42-10 to 42-24 with a little more than 10 minutes remaining in the 4th quarter, so there was still a chance, albeit a slim chance, for the Great Danes to still come back and win. Villanova didn't salt the game away until their final touchdown drive made the score 48-24 with about 6 minutes left. The Wildcats didn't get the ball again until the last minute of the game after Albany scored their final touchdown, so Villanova didn't have a chance for any offensive plays in "garbage time" until the last two plays of the game.

Mr. C
November 16th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Without being there or knowing the true context It's hard to tell what really happened. With that said....

This is not a Temple vs 'Nova thing. Why is Talley despised by so many people? The one thing you constantly hear about Talley is him being a complete ***hole. He must have very thick skin....

I've always considered Andy Talley to be one of the nicest guys and classiest fellows I've met in 37 years of covering college football. He has been incredibly generous in many ways over the years. One of my favorite people in college sports.

Mr. C
November 16th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Gattuso sounds like he has a lot to learn from ex-Albany coach Bob Ford, another of the true gentlemen in college sports.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 16th, 2014, 06:54 PM
This looks like the new Albany guy spoke when he shouldn't have. Not a big deal but if you need to stop somebody your boys do their job and you sure as hell shouldn't be asking Talley and his boys to do your job for you.

caribbeanhen
November 16th, 2014, 07:21 PM
I've always considered Andy Talley to be one of the nicest guys and classiest fellows I've met in 37 years of covering college football. He has been incredibly generous in many ways over the years. One of my favorite people in college sports.

which is probably why Talley was upset and fired back at the rookie coach.... Cant say that I blame him, but Talley might have come off better if he just kind of chuckled it off to a rookie mistake

Fordhamanhattan
November 16th, 2014, 08:09 PM
Andy Talley is a nasty, ugly looking clown. He knocked Fordham's talent level this year. I bet more Rams get NFL contracts than his team. Did we have no talent when we kicked his rear end last year?

superman7515
November 16th, 2014, 08:44 PM
Andy Talley is a nasty, ugly looking clown.

http://www.talleybonemarrow.org/

Andy Talley - 1
You - 0

God I hate defending Villanova.

HailSzczur
November 16th, 2014, 09:48 PM
Andy Talley is a nasty, ugly looking clown. He knocked Fordham's talent level this year. I bet more Rams get NFL contracts than his team. Did we have no talent when we kicked his rear end last year?

I mean Andy Talley wasn't the only one who knocked Fordham's talent level.....I'm pretty sure the entire offense knocked Fordham's talent level, as even the 4th string RB managed to score on them. Also the run defense knocked Fordham's talent level, 18 yards on 27 carries? Really?

Go...gate
November 16th, 2014, 10:32 PM
I don't care for Andy Talley at all, but he's not the first coach who wanted some lightly-used Seniors or loyal extra underclassmen to see some game action and he needn't apologize for it. Gattuso will find himself in that position as well as the years go on. A coach owes that to the kids that have worked hard and stayed on the right side of the line.

That said, Talley's bragging about the play-off appearances and National Championship was unnecessary. Those things speak for themselves.

Fordhamanhattan
November 17th, 2014, 08:14 AM
I also remember when this clown ran up the score against a non scholarship Fordham squad coached by nova alum Larry Glueck who had been a member ol the 63 Championship Bears.

danefan
November 17th, 2014, 08:24 AM
I like the fire in Gattuso but it may have been a little misplaced here. That being said, who hasn't done that once or twice in their life.

And for the record Gattuso is hardly a rookie coach. He was a head coach for a while at Duquesne and was Asst Head Coach at both Pitt and Maryland.

Doesn't make it better or worse in my eyes but it's not like some "kid" spouting off at his elder. He had an opinion and he voiced it. He also didn't wait until the press conference to do it. He went right to Talley after the game and Talley basically ran away. I'm sure that probably stoked the fire even more.

danefan
November 17th, 2014, 08:30 AM
Just to make one more thing clear - this wasn't about running up the score. It's about 30 secs left on the clock with a two score lead. Most coaches would take a knee.

I don't blame Talley for doing what he did but most coaches would take a knee.

YoUDeeMan
November 17th, 2014, 08:36 AM
Just to make one more thing clear - this wasn't about running up the score. It's about 30 secs left on the clock with a two score lead. Most coaches would take a knee.

First run...OK, give the kid the ball.

Second run...a$$ move.

uni88
November 17th, 2014, 08:38 AM

I understand what he did completely and don't have a problem with it. The risk you run as a coach when you do that is that some of the defensive players are going to play a split second longer and hit an inch or two lower so the risk of injury increases. It was Talley's call to make and if one of his players gets hurt as a result he has no one to blame but himself.

Bisonator
November 17th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Always best to settle it face to face and not in the media.

Anovafan
November 17th, 2014, 08:58 AM
Gattuso sounds like he has a lot to learn from ex-Albany coach Bob Ford, another of the true gentlemen in college sports.

And that is why Coach Ford called Coach Talley personally on Sunday and apologized on behalf of UAlbany for Gattuso's comments. Coach Ford is all class. UAlbany's AD also called Nova's AD to apologize. Gattuso was out of line and his comments were rather over the top for the situation. The senior walk-on deserved those carries on senior night, plain and simple.

bluehenbillk
November 17th, 2014, 09:26 AM
As a UD fan it would pain me to side with Nova, but I am. Talley was fine with what he did & the Albany coached acted wrongly. Period.

MR. CHICKEN
November 17th, 2014, 09:39 AM
20056.....AH'M GUESSIN'...OL' FRED...GETS 'NUFF TOTES...TA ENTERAH...DUH PAYTON RACE......BAH DAYS END.....ON SATURDAY...:(...AWK!

Anovafan
November 17th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Vusports writer article here: http://www.vuhoops.com/2014/11/16/7229405/why-villanova-didnt-take-a-knee-and-why-albanys-coach-should-relax

Sycamore62
November 17th, 2014, 10:14 AM
At some point did someone say "I'm a man"

Mr. C
November 17th, 2014, 10:24 AM
And that is why Coach Ford called Coach Talley personally on Sunday and apologized on behalf of UAlbany for Gattuso's comments. Coach Ford is all class. UAlbany's AD also called Nova's AD to apologize. Gattuso was out of line and his comments were rather over the top for the situation. The senior walk-on deserved those carries on senior night, plain and simple.
Would not expect anything less from Coach Ford. What a class act.

superman7515
November 17th, 2014, 10:45 AM
At some point did someone say "I'm a man"

Not sure, but I have heard rumors that someone did mention needing more dogs.