PDA

View Full Version : Strange Post Game Comments From The Citadel HC

SU DOG
November 16th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Granted, it was right after a game in which The Citadel probably did outplay our team, but suffered a gut-wrenching last minute loss. This is what Coach Houston (close to verbatim) said: "If Samford with 14 FBS xfers and the resources they have, has to resort to a flea-flicker(trick play) to beat us, then that speaks well for our kids."

We do have more than our usual number of transfers. Some of these recent ones are already in grad school, several have come back from mid-level FBS programs to be close to home in the B'ham area, and there are various other reasons. One thing for sure - they have ALL had to meet the strenuous Samford entrance requirements, and NONE have been in trouble at their former school. I personally know of an Auburn player that tried to xfer here this past spring, but could not get in because of academics.

Resources? Not sure what Coach Houston is referring to here. Maybe he can talk to his administration if he thinks The Citadel has a disadvantage of some kind that needs to be improved. Yes, I know the military requirements could be somewhat of a problem for some players, but isn't that understood to go with the territory?

Resorting to trick plays? Aren't ALL plays designed to "trick" the defense?

I called these remarks strange, but they could easily be termed sour grapes. Again, this was right after the game, but IMO, not what you would expect from (what I also believe is a very good coach) fellow conference foe.

As for the game, it was a real slobber knocker. We had more players to go down yesterday than in any other game this year. Kudos to the kids on both squads for leaving it all on the field.

CID1990
November 16th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Granted, it was right after a game in which The Citadel probably did outplay our team, but suffered a gut-wrenching last minute loss. This is what Coach Houston (close to verbatim) said: "If Samford with 14 FBS xfers and the resources they have, has to resort to a flea-flicker(trick play) to beat us, then that speaks well for our kids."

We do have more than our usual number of transfers. Some of these recent ones are already in grad school, several have come back from mid-level FBS programs to be close to home in the B'ham area, and there are various other reasons. One thing for sure - they have ALL had to meet the strenuous Samford entrance requirements, and NONE have been in trouble at their former school. I personally know of an Auburn player that tried to xfer here this past spring, but could not get in because of academics.

Resources? Not sure what Coach Houston is referring to here. Maybe he can talk to his administration if he thinks The Citadel has a disadvantage of some kind that needs to be improved. Yes, I know the military requirements could be somewhat of a problem for some players, but isn't that understood to go with the territory?

I called these remarks strange, but they could easily be termed sour grapes. Again, this was right after the game, but IMO, not what you would expect from (what I also believe is a very good coach) fellow conference foe.

As for the game, it was a real slobber knocker. We had more players to go down yesterday than in any other game this year. Kudos to the kids on both squads for leaving it all on the field.

Sounds like he struck a nerve what with that war and peace epistle you just wrote

ElCid
November 16th, 2014, 05:02 PM

I heard the interview as well and I will admit that I thought it was a tad bite odd at first. But we really do not know what his intent was. I can see how you might take it personally towards your team, but after I thought about it, I really think his audience was his team. In other words, I think he was trying to assure his team (and maybe the fans), that they played every bit as well as Samford, even though they were a bit more talented on paper. And straight up traditional plays by Samford could not get it done. Again, aimed at his team and not necessarily a condemnation of Samford. I do not think it was a slight to Samford at all. I think you might have, arguably, read that in on your own. But if you would consider that we still have a competitive game against a long term rival next week try to not think the worst.

It was a good game even if we lost. I knew we could hang in there if we held the ball - we did; limited turn-overs - we did; get our D on track - we did; limit penalties - we partially did. The 2 holding calls on big run plays (not sure they sprung the runner anyway), the illegal shift, and the slight lapse on D for the 4th and long did us in.

Good luck to both Bulldogs next week. I hope Samford makes a little noise next week...the SOCON could use it.

SU DOG
November 16th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Not necessarily struck a nerve as much as sounded strange. "That kind of comment could come across as sour grapes," from SandlapperSpike, a Citadel blogger that I have the utmost respect for.

lionsrking2
November 16th, 2014, 05:08 PM
I say go play intramurals.

SU DOG
November 16th, 2014, 05:10 PM
If your pass defense plays like yesterday ElCid, it will be NO CONTEST. We were extremely lucky to win that one. GOOD LUCK! As for us next week, I'm afraid that Auburn will be in a wild rage, and they won't have any mercy.

TennBison
November 16th, 2014, 05:12 PM
It is only a trick play if the other teams coach does not see it coming or isn't prepared to defend it if it did come. Sounds to me like he just got out coached or the Citadel players were outplayed. Either way, the Citadel is to blame for losing, no blame on Samford for winning.

citdog
November 17th, 2014, 04:24 AM
Had to pull out all the stops to beat lowly The Citadel. After all the ink spilled about the Oregon tranny QB and being among the favorites to win the league.......I like Houston and the job he's done with the Higgins guys. When he gets HIS boys in there we are going to GO GO GO! At least these weren't snarky comment from the Samford video coordinator like last year these were straight from the man in charge. 14 fbs trannys for Samford and THAT team is the best Pat Sullivan can do with them? Sounds like that fella should be looking for a new job.

OL FU
November 17th, 2014, 06:06 AM
Had to pull out all the stops to beat lowly The Citadel. After all the ink spilled about the Oregon tranny QB and being among the favorites to win the league.......I like Houston and the job he's done with the Higgins guys. When he gets HIS boys in there we are going to GO GO GO! At least these weren't snarky comment from the Samford video coordinator like last year these were straight from the man in charge. 14 fbs trannys for Samford and THAT team is the best Pat Sullivan can do with them? Sounds like that fella should be looking for a new job.

Are you certain you didn't go to Georgia Southernxeyebrowx

citdog
November 17th, 2014, 06:51 AM
It is only a trick play if the other teams coach does not see it coming or isn't prepared to defend it if it did come. Sounds to me like he just got out coached or the Citadel players were outplayed. Either way, the Citadel is to blame for losing, no blame on Samford for winning.

It's The Citadel not the Citadel.....

- - - Updated - - -

Are you certain you didn't go to Georgia Southernxeyebrowx

I had several successful visits to pigs ass. Successful meaning that I didn't come back with scabies.

kalm
November 17th, 2014, 07:01 AM
I think it's cool that the south is now welcoming trans genders.

Catamount87
November 17th, 2014, 07:57 AM

As a neutral observer here, my take is he was first and foremost paying his team a backhanded compliment. That it took some really creative trickery by a very strong opponent to beat his boys. But in that he was also tossing a dig at Samford by saying that all their FBS talent isn't as talented as they think. So they had to resort to trickery to beat a strong opponent.

Either way, he's acknowledging that it was a hell of a game that could have gone either way.

citdog
November 17th, 2014, 08:44 AM
I think it's cool that the south is now welcoming trans genders.

furman has had a football team for quite a while now yes.

Bisonator
November 17th, 2014, 08:48 AM

What was wrong about what he said? Did he lie about anything there? If not then what's the problem?

SU DOG
November 17th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Never said there was a problem or a lie. If anything, I commend Coach Houston on having his team really well prepared. I said these were strange post game comments, and I still wonder what those resources are that he referred to. Also, there was nothing tricky about our final last minute drive to win the game.

chattownmocs
November 17th, 2014, 09:32 AM
The strange part is that the guy thinks he is facing overwhelming odds to beat samford. But he thought his D2 team would win the SOCON.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 17th, 2014, 09:33 AM
Was not a smart thing to say regardless of how much truth there is to it. As a coach, you never want to say anything that makes it sound like you are "making excuses", even if it's pointing out something any fool knows can affect the game. On top of that this can be construed as a knock on Sullivan's coaching or Houston patting himself on the back for his coaching.

Also, I wonder since Houston has never coached at the FCS level if he overestimates the power of FBS transfers in the FCS. Anyone who follows the FCS knows simply bringing in a lot of FBS transfers will not build you an FCS power.

BigSouthFan
November 17th, 2014, 09:36 AM
YOU PLAY, TO WIN, THE GAME! *Herm Edwards voice*