PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for heads to roll at Wofford?

woffordgrad94
November 15th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Today's effort at Furman was embarrassing. The players and ESPECIALLY the coaches should really hate themselves right now. The players phoned it in like pu$$ies while the coaches stubbornly and arrogantly and most of all IDIOTICALLY refused to make needed adjustments. I hope all their wives and girlfriends refuse to give them any for a while. The offense is more predictable than a sappy feel good Christmas movie right now. As a fan, I am seething more than a wet cat. I'm glad I am not the AD because I would probably overreact and fire everybody including Ayers right now. But I seriously do think it really is time for OC Wade Lang to be shown the door. He seems to have run dry of ideas and inspiration as well as passion. It is time to take away his income as he is no longer doing anything to earn it. Until some changes are made, I feel we will be mediocre at best going forward. As far as I am concerned, the Mercer game doesn't even exist. I know the team is just going to merely show up, uninspiringly go through the motions, and get blown out. It is not worth agonizing over. I know it will be pumped up as a big, big day for Mercer, but undeservedly so. I want them to know they will not really be accomplishing a hell of a lot by beating our sad has-been program. So in summary, fuk football. On to basketball- we are supposed to make the NCAA tournament again.

citdog
November 15th, 2014, 02:18 PM
Dude you are stupid.

woffordgrad94
November 15th, 2014, 02:23 PM
Dude you are stupid.

Fuk you. It ain't like you haven't posted your share of stupid bull***** over the years so just shut the fuk up a$$hole. I mean here's a guy who actually thinks South Carolina should secede from the Union again calling ME stupid.

citdog
November 15th, 2014, 02:23 PM
Fuk you. Mit ain't like you haven't posted your share of stupid ***** over the years so just shut the fuk up a$$hole.

you should loosen your bow tie and relax

woffordgrad94
November 15th, 2014, 02:27 PM
you should loosen your bow tie and relax

And you should go die in that second Civil War you want to start, fukwad.

citdog
November 15th, 2014, 02:32 PM
And you should go die in that second Civil War you want to start, fukwad.

Judging by your language I'd say you are 1 generation removed from upstate mill workin' white trash.....

woffordgrad94
November 15th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Judging by your language I'd say you are 1 generation removed from upstate mill workin' white trash.....
So which is it? Am I a rich bow tie wearing snob or poor white mill trash? You have pretty much run the gamut between two extremes here with your insults. Make up your mind.

Grizalltheway
November 15th, 2014, 02:39 PM
xlolx

citdog
November 15th, 2014, 02:39 PM
So which is it? Am I a rich bow tie wearing snob or poor white trash?

You can be rich and still be trash. Your language in a public forum shows which you are.

woffordgrad94
November 15th, 2014, 02:43 PM
I am not rich and never have been boy. It just goes to show that you don't know me at all. Stereotypes are a slippery slope. I got into Wofford ONLY because I earned a FULL SCHOLARSHIP there. I didn't pay to go there. If you want to think I'm trash, well, you are entitled to your opinion and I couldn't give two fuks about it. I certainly think your twisted political views are trash, for what it's worth. And I also think you need to look in a mirror too because I've seen you curse here a lot before, you hypocrite.

citdog
November 15th, 2014, 02:45 PM
I am not rich and never have been boy. That just goes to show that you don't know me at all. I got into Wofford ONLY because I earned a FULL SCHOLARSHIP there. I didn't pay to go there. And you need to look it a mirror too because I've seen you curse he a lot before, you hypocrite.

So poor white trash....GOT IT

Milktruck74
November 15th, 2014, 02:50 PM
You don't get rid of someone unless you can replace them with someone better. Ayers has the bar set pretty high. He is a good coach. Ask the Vols if they would want to get rid of Fulmer...based on their last few years?

woffordgrad94
November 15th, 2014, 02:53 PM
You don't get rid of someone unless you can replace them with someone better. Ayers has the bar set pretty high. He is a good coach. Ask the Vols if they would want to get rid of Fulmer...based on their last few years?

I know Ayers is a very good coach. I don't really want to get rid of him. I just want a new OC.

centennial
November 15th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Wofford used to be good ala 2011-12. That old team would truck this one 50-10.. You guys need some coaching changes.

kdinva
November 15th, 2014, 03:00 PM
VMI's win over Furman got the whole Wofford family fat-headed.......and the snake bit you....

woffordgrad94
November 15th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Wofford used to be good ala 2011-12. That old team would truck this one 50-10.. You guys need some coaching changes.
+1
This guy gets it!

woffordgrad94
November 15th, 2014, 03:01 PM
VMI's win over Furman got the whole Wofford family fat-headed.......and the snake bit you....
No, our OC just sucks. I feared this Furman game all along.

centennial
November 15th, 2014, 03:03 PM
+1
This guy gets it!
We don't have a culture of mediocrity. Coaches that don't perform get fired. Bohl, had he not made the playoffs in 2010 could have been on the chopping block.

woffordgrad94
November 15th, 2014, 03:05 PM
We don't have a culture of mediocrity. Coaches that don't perform get fired. Bohl, had he not made the playoffs in 2010 could have been on the chopping block.
I wasn't brought up to accept mediocrity. Pity that Wofford College seems to do so- it goes against what they claim to stand for.

dungeonjoe
November 15th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Today's effort at Furman was embarrassing. The players and ESPECIALLY the coaches should really hate themselves right now. The players phoned it in like pu$$ies while the coaches stubbornly and arrogantly and most of all IDIOTICALLY refused to make needed adjustments. I hope all their wives and girlfriends refuse to give them any for a while. The offense is more predictable than a sappy feel good Christmas movie right now. As a fan, I am seething more than a wet cat. I'm glad I am not the AD because I would probably overreact and fire everybody including Ayers right now. But I seriously do think it really is time for OC Wade Lang to be shown the door. He seems to have run dry of ideas and inspiration as well as passion. It is time to take away his income as he is no longer doing anything to earn it. Until some changes are made, I feel we will be mediocre at best going forward. As far as I am concerned, the Mercer game doesn't even exist. I know the team is just going to merely show up, uninspiringly go through the motions, and get blown out. It is not worth agonizing over. I know it will be pumped up as a big, big day for Mercer, but undeservedly so. I want them to know they will not really be accomplishing a hell of a lot by beating our sad has-been program. So in summary, fuk football. On to basketball- we are supposed to make the NCAA tournament again.

In the spirit, if not the exact words, of a fellow SoCon poster: Shut the Fiddlesticks Up!

Be as classy when you lose as when you win. Furman won. Wofford lost.

Man up, and quit whining.

I, and a lot of Wofford fans are frustrated. We just don't slash our wrists in public.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 15th, 2014, 03:36 PM
In the spirit, if not the exact words, of a fellow SoCon poster: Shut the Fiddlesticks Up!

Be as classy when you lose as when you win. Furman won. Wofford lost.

Man up, and quit whining.

I, and a lot of Wofford fans are frustrated. We just don't slash our wrists in public.

Great advice and it's probably a fair assessment that an emotional fan calling out a lgendary coach about how he does what he does is well just flat silly and makes said fan look pretty obtuse.

Take dj advice, seriously.

Lehigh'98
November 15th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Ayers is a great coach. The loss of Breininstein and some other talent hurt Wofford the last 2 years. They will bounce back.

longtimemocfan
November 15th, 2014, 08:35 PM
I agree Ayers is a good coach. Sometimes you have a few down years before you can emerge back to prominence.

bobcathpdevil56
November 15th, 2014, 08:40 PM
I am glad cooler heads prevailed, because that escalated quickly.

chattownmocs
November 15th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Wofford needs to recruit better players. Their coaching is fine. They are solid schematically. Of course coaches are the ones recruiting but I know they can get better WR and secondary talent than what they have. And get a qb who can run a little bit if you are going to run the triple option. No excuse for having the qbs they have in that systems.

OL FU
November 16th, 2014, 06:18 AM
Wofford needs to recruit better players. Their coaching is fine. They are solid schematically. Of course coaches are the ones recruiting but I know they can get better WR and secondary talent than what they have. And get a qb who can run a little bit if you are going to run the triple option. No excuse for having the qbs they have in that systems.

From an offensive standpoint and the qb comment, that was my take as well.

I think he quite possibly would be a very good QB in a different scheme.

Pards Rule
November 16th, 2014, 06:24 AM

Dan Tavani, Frank Tavani's son, loved Wofford and Coach Ayers so he went there. I was talking with his sister Friday night at a Lafayette Alumni event in the start of the ramp up to Lehigh game.

caribbeanhen
November 16th, 2014, 06:33 AM
Dude you are stupid.

some fine southern gentleman you are...

OL FU
November 16th, 2014, 07:12 AM
Interesting that with all of the things we could say about the Terriers, is that my guess is the coaching staff is probably them most universally respected in the SoConxeyebrowxxthumbsupx

PaladinFan
November 16th, 2014, 07:28 AM
I was wondering this question. Scheduling has been weak, DC left for App State, Ayers was rumored to be going to Georgia Southern, team is bordering on first back to back losing seasons since the 90s.

This is a struggling Furman team, and at times in the first half, it looked like Wofford was finally going to take advantage of that. This year, like last year, Wofford had no answer for Furman's receivers. Furman basically rolled out the same game plan they beat Wofford with last year, and beat them with it again.

The defensive backfield is not very good (in my observation). They are not very good tacklers, don't fight off blocks, and the safeties have a very difficult time getting over the top to help. Furman had several long gains on little flag/fade routes. They had similar gains on the same routes last season as well. A couple passes yesterday were not even contested by Wofford defenders.

OL FU
November 16th, 2014, 07:54 AM
Interesting that with all of the things we could say about the Terriers, is that my guess is the coaching staff is probably them most universally respected in the SoConxeyebrowxxthumbsupx

OR maybe notxlolx I probably should have specified head coach. Know very little about the others.

walliver
November 16th, 2014, 09:13 AM

We have QB's who work with our system. One is out for the season with a foot injury, and two are second-year freshmen who for some reason are not allowed on the field (one of them was #1 coming out of spring practice)xconfusedx. Our current starter really needs to be playing with a read-option type team. It is hard to recruit WR to a team that rarely passes. We are on our third DC in 3 years, but basically running the same scheme as the last 10 years.

We have major defensive issues, but every game this year would have been potentially winnable if the offense had shown up for the second half.

On a side note, I would prefer not to vent internal issues on AGS. App fans were famous for that and I found it very irritating.

The Cats
November 16th, 2014, 11:40 AM

I've heard of trashing a team and coaches, but I don't think Catamount fans went after Wagner this bad even in year three of 1-11 seasons. Maybe you should sleep on it before posting in the future.

MR. CHICKEN
November 16th, 2014, 12:25 PM
20045.......WOFFY GRAD94...MUST HAVE FAMILY.....ON GOHENS.BRAWK!

SENT FROM MAH COMPUTER...HAL

Reign of Terrier
November 16th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Okay here's the deal, I may not agree 100% with OP but the basic sentiment in terrier nation is this:

We recruit as well as any team in the current socon
--the typical response to this may be "but your secondary sucked today/the last couple weeks." That may be true, but we were depleted with injuries, maybe not on Furman's level, but enough to be a problem. even with that said, 31 points isn't absolutely terrible, it's not good obviously, but we've performed much worse in the past.
--another response is "but look at your QB, he looked out of place" perhaps that's true, but he wasn't the starter. Evan Jacks has been out since the WCU game with a foot injury, likely for the season.
--the reality is, we are quantitatively a more talented team than we were about 11 years ago when we won the Socon outright (the only time we've done it). I've heard that team wasn't at 63 scholarships, to put things in perspective

So, long story short for that point, it's not the players, we're just as talented, if not more so than past teams that have won conference championships in the past.

Defensively, a lot of us hate our scheme, but the scheme hasn't killed us. Heck , our defense isn't the problem right now primarily. That's saying something considering we're on our third coordinator in as many years. We've had top-conference-defenses with this scheme. We're all consensus that we're frustrated with the defense, but given the injuries and the new coordinator, no one in their right mind is calling for his job.

No one in their right mind is calling for MA's job either.

With that said, the offensive coordinator has got to be on the hot seat. We used to be the team that you had to be on your best game offensively (or defensively) to beat us. We regularly scored 28+. Now, we've only scored 24 or more in 3 of our last 14 conference games. We have no identity or creativity on offense. We have quantifiably more talented players than in years past playing for us, and yet, quite frankly, we suck.

It's really frustrating to be a Wofford fan right now. For the last decade we've been the example of what it means to be a quality program in what's remaining of the Socon. But now, you don't know what to expect because our offense sucks so badly. I predicted at the beginning of the year that we would be fun to watch, and it seemed to be the case about 3 weeks ago, but that's not really the case. If anything, our defense has made up for a pretty bad offense.

I don't even want to watch the Mercer game, and what's sad is that a lot of the terrier faithful feel the same way. We're completely demoralized at this point and we can't help but point fingers. And it would be one thing if this were a one season affair, but the fact is, if it happens for two straight seasons, it's a trend. Like, last year we could just say "this isn't our year" and move on around this time, but we're pretty concerned about the future right now. Many of us didn't expect better than 7-4, and to be honest 6-5 wouldn't be terrible, but to lose to Furman the way we did makes you question a lot of things.

You could say "well, you shouldn't give up or be so pessimistic" but the reality is that we haven't had a trend like this since I personally have followed the team or since we've not been a start-up D1 team. You can't help but be pessimistic. We have much more pride as a program than this. We may not be App or GSU on their low years when they could point to national championships and that standard of tradition, but you have to look at the body of work we've produced in years past and be pretty bummed at the possibility of having less than 4 Division one wins this year.

To put things in perspective, if we lose saturday, this year is worse than that 3-8 year. At least we had the benefit of the doubt that year of replacing a lot of veterans and with a laundry list of injuries.

Already, this year is worse than last year, regardless if we win on Saturday. The good news is we're very young, but if we don't make the playoffs next year, and if we struggle on offense at the same level as this year and last year, we should fire our offensive coordinator.

PantherRob82
November 16th, 2014, 01:22 PM
I don't even want to watch the Mercer game, and what's sad is that a lot of the terrier faithful feel the same way. We're completely demoralized at this point and we can't help but point fingers. And it would be one thing if this were a one season affair, but the fact is, if it happens for two straight seasons, it's a trend. Like, last year we could just say "this isn't our year" and move on around this time, but we're pretty concerned about the future right now. Many of us didn't expect better than 7-4, and to be honest 6-5 wouldn't be terrible, but to lose to Furman the way we did makes you question a lot of things.

That is sad. You should want to support your team regardless. I can't stand fans that leave games early during losses or stop watching when the season isn't going right.

I thought UNI's season was done and the Illinois State and NDSU were going to beat us down. I still went.

I thought UNI was going to revert back to mid season meltdown mode against SIU, but I still turned it on as soon as I could.

dungeonjoe
November 16th, 2014, 10:01 PM
That is sad. You should want to support your team regardless. I can't stand fans that leave games early during losses or stop watching when the season isn't going right.

I thought UNI's season was done and the Illinois State and NDSU were going to beat us down. I still went.

I thought UNI was going to revert back to mid season meltdown mode against SIU, but I still turned it on as soon as I could.
You, like me, are loyal to your school. I will be there unless unforeseen responsibilities keep me away.

OL FU
November 17th, 2014, 06:13 AM
Okay here's the deal, I may not agree 100% with OP but the basic sentiment in terrier nation is this:

--the typical response to this may be "but your secondary sucked today/the last couple weeks." That may be true, but we were depleted with injuries, maybe not on Furman's level, but enough to be a problem. even with that said, 31 points isn't absolutely terrible, it's not good obviously, but we've performed much worse in the past.
--another response is "but look at your QB, he looked out of place" perhaps that's true, but he wasn't the starter. Evan Jacks has been out since the WCU game with a foot injury, likely for the season.
--the reality is, we are quantitatively a more talented team than we were about 11 years ago when we won the Socon outright (the only time we've done it). I've heard that team wasn't at 63 scholarships, to put things in perspective

So, long story short for that point, it's not the players, we're just as talented, if not more so than past teams that have won conference championships in the past.

Defensively, a lot of us hate our scheme, but the scheme hasn't killed us. Heck , our defense isn't the problem right now primarily. That's saying something considering we're on our third coordinator in as many years. We've had top-conference-defenses with this scheme. We're all consensus that we're frustrated with the defense, but given the injuries and the new coordinator, no one in their right mind is calling for his job.

With that said, the offensive coordinator has got to be on the hot seat. We used to be the team that you had to be on your best game offensively (or defensively) to beat us. We regularly scored 28+. Now, we've only scored 24 or more in 3 of our last 14 conference games. We have no identity or creativity on offense. We have quantifiably more talented players than in years past playing for us, and yet, quite frankly, we suck.

It's really frustrating to be a Wofford fan right now. For the last decade we've been the example of what it means to be a quality program in what's remaining of the Socon. But now, you don't know what to expect because our offense sucks so badly. I predicted at the beginning of the year that we would be fun to watch, and it seemed to be the case about 3 weeks ago, but that's not really the case. If anything, our defense has made up for a pretty bad offense.

You could say "well, you shouldn't give up or be so pessimistic" but the reality is that we haven't had a trend like this since I personally have followed the team or since we've not been a start-up D1 team. You can't help but be pessimistic. We have much more pride as a program than this. We may not be App or GSU on their low years when they could point to national championships and that standard of tradition, but you have to look at the body of work we've produced in years past and be pretty bummed at the possibility of having less than 4 Division one wins this year.

To put things in perspective, if we lose saturday, this year is worse than that 3-8 year. At least we had the benefit of the doubt that year of replacing a lot of veterans and with a laundry list of injuries.

Already, this year is worse than last year, regardless if we win on Saturday. The good news is we're very young, but if we don't make the playoffs next year, and if we struggle on offense at the same level as this year and last year, we should fire our offensive coordinator.

Thanks for the update on the injuries. I didn't realize that especially the QB.

Now for my take. With the possible exception of ASU, and as you state above, Wofford has been the most consistently good team in the SoCon for the last 10 years and yes that includes the mighty Eagles from the south of Jawga. The reason is your coach. I don't see any evidence of burnout so I am going to assume he knows how to fix the problem. I also, know how tough down years can be (believe me:() But after you have watched the game as long a I have, the sting isn't quite as sharpxthumbsupx

chattownmocs
November 17th, 2014, 06:20 AM
We have QB's who work with our system. One is out for the season with a foot injury, and two are second-year freshmen who for some reason are not allowed on the field (one of them was #1 coming out of spring practice)xconfusedx. Our current starter really needs to be playing with a read-option type team. It is hard to recruit WR to a team that rarely passes. We are on our third DC in 3 years, but basically running the same scheme as the last 10 years.

We have major defensive issues, but every game this year would have been potentially winnable if the offense had shown up for the second half.

On a side note, I would prefer not to vent internal issues on AGS. App fans were famous for that and I found it very irritating.

I dont think Jacks or Butler are right fit either. I just disagree. Butler is not far from me and he was not a triple option QB in high school to my knowledge nor was he much of a runner. I think he is a heck of a qb, but I think he is a pro style guy all the way.

chattownmocs
November 17th, 2014, 06:25 AM

I disagree completely. I dont know how your qb compares to your past qbs but why not a dynamic runner? I think your front 7 on D is just as good, and you have some good RBs. I dont see the FB position being nearly as strong. Obviously. Your secondary is bad and unathletic. I dont think your Oline is close to where it was either. I just dont buy what you are selling.