PDA

View Full Version : Jacksonville withdraws from PFL championship eligibility

BucBisonAtLarge
November 14th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Jacksonville University has withdrawn from championship contention in the Pioneer Football League following an internal investigation that found "a number of financial aid inconsistencies."
The Dolphins (8-2, 6-1) could have clinched the league title Saturday with a win against Campbell (5-5, 4-2) or if San Diego (8-1, 6-1) lost to Valparaiso (3-7, 1-5). San Diego would be in line for the conference title with a victory Saturday.
Jacksonville and the PFL announced the decision Friday, saying the Dolphins will be removed from consideration for Football Championship Subdivision postseason play. The PFL champion earns an automatic qualifying bid to the FCS playoffs.
Jacksonville voluntarily withdrew following a review of compliance matters regarding the PFL's financial aid rules. An independent audit was conducted in response to a conference survey that revealed a number of financial aid inconsistencies.

FargoBison
November 14th, 2014, 06:29 PM
First USD last year now Jacksonville...the joke that is the PFL has no business at all being in the FCS playoffs.

FargoBison
November 14th, 2014, 06:32 PM
San Diego will be the PFL auto(unless they find some issue again or lose to Valpo)...I guess now the Big Sky can rejoice one of their teams just got a first round bye.

danefan
November 14th, 2014, 06:43 PM
This is comical.

Pard4Life
November 14th, 2014, 07:03 PM
Look, as a Patriot League guy with some minor sympathy for the Pioneer, this is a complete joke.

citdog
November 14th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Some heads need roll in Jacksonville, FloriBama.

BisonFan02
November 14th, 2014, 07:14 PM
Hooray for my Clenz pickem autobid San Diego! Yay! xlolx

Model Citizen
November 14th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Some heads need roll in Jacksonville, FloriBama.

Kerwin Bell is paid well above the average for PFL head coaches. He was going to build a program that would take JU athletics to the SoCon. But Mercer was a little quicker.

At this point, I could see Bell slipping away to become a SEC assistant coach.

clenz
November 14th, 2014, 08:23 PM
The pfl is going to go the way of the nec and/or patriot real quick with the playoff bid now.

If that happens i see schools line drake and valpo finally being forced to "**** or get off the pot" when it comes to football. Might make for interesting expansion scenarios with the ovc and mvfc.

Might finally get my Drake wish

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

danefan
November 14th, 2014, 08:28 PM
The pfl is going to go the way of the n
ec and our patriot real quick with the playoff bid now.

If that happens i see schools line drake and valpo finally being forced to "**** or get off the pot" when it comes to football. Might make for interesting expansion scenarios with the ovc and mvfc.

Might finally get my Drake wish

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I agree. Once you get a little taste.

MTfan4life
November 14th, 2014, 08:49 PM
Hooray for my Clenz pickem autobid San Diego! Yay! xlolx

My Pioneer pick was indeed Jacksonville! xsmhx

There goes the guaranteed win for the MEAC! Although, I was excited to see how they might do against a SCSU type team.

PantherRob82
November 14th, 2014, 09:12 PM
Can Drake win the auto bid and come to UNI please?

FargoBison
November 14th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Can Drake win the auto bid and come to UNI please?

Sorry, USD is getting the bid and the Big Sky will get a first round layup.

caribbeanhen
November 14th, 2014, 09:43 PM
they have a few good players, Bell the and Andrew Robestelli is a talented TE with speed... sorry to hear they wont get to live the playoff dream

superman7515
November 14th, 2014, 09:47 PM
A lousy situation for the PFL. If they're going to be in the playoffs, I'd prefer they represent the FCS well, so no enjoyment from me in this happening to the conference in both of their first two years of autobid status.

Sycamore62
November 14th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Sorry, USD is getting the bid and the Big Sky will get a first round layup.

In theory would this cause them to take a western team over from the MVFC or east?

FargoBison
November 14th, 2014, 09:51 PM
In theory would this cause them to take a western team over from the MVFC or east?

I don't think it is has a big affect on the field other than the giving a western team an easy game in the playoffs.

Bisonwinagn
November 14th, 2014, 09:51 PM

It shouldn't but the MEAC may be 4 bids now!!

smilo
November 14th, 2014, 09:54 PM
Can this whole conference just be declared ineligible please? I hope San Diego kills Cal Poly and then somehow becomes ineligible.

FUBeAR
November 14th, 2014, 11:46 PM
Just popped into my head...I have no knowledge nor even any basis for this thought...but I'm wondering if this could be kind of an 'intentional foul' on the part of someone or some group inside JaxU Football or JaxU Athletics to 'force' a move to full scholarship FCS football. I don't even know if that makes any sense or anything about what factions, if any, may exist down there, but with the same thing happening at USD last year and the timing of this...it just seems so weird that there must be a '...rest of the story' here. Thoughts from anyone with actual knowledge of the situation??? Is this possible or have I just been watching too many episodes of "The Blacklist?"

lionsrking2
November 15th, 2014, 12:02 AM
We played Jacksonville to open the season, and even though we handled them easily, they were pretty decent IMO. Starting 22 were solid, including five or six kids who could play for most people ... just not much depth.

rokamortis
November 15th, 2014, 04:49 AM
Can this whole conference just be declared ineligible please? I hope San Diego kills Cal Poly and then somehow becomes ineligible.
with teams declaring themselves ineligible this may not be a bad thing.

CasualFan
November 15th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Just popped into my head...I have no knowledge nor even any basis for this thought...but I'm wondering if this could be kind of an 'intentional foul' on the part of someone or some group inside JaxU Football or JaxU Athletics to 'force' a move to full scholarship FCS football. I don't even know if that makes any sense or anything about what factions, if any, may exist down there, but with the same thing happening at USD last year and the timing of this...it just seems so weird that there must be a '...rest of the story' here. Thoughts from anyone with actual knowledge of the situation??? Is this possible or have I just been watching too many episodes of "The Blacklist?"
Too many people would need to be involved. Financial aid is almost certainly going to be outside of athletics. I can already hear the words, "lack of institutional control." I wonder how many people will lose their job over this one?

DFW HOYA
November 15th, 2014, 08:30 AM
Too many people would need to be involved. Financial aid is almost certainly going to be outside of athletics. I can already hear the words, "lack of institutional control." I wonder how many people will lose their job over this one?

It's the PFL, which means no one loses jobs.

If anything, it signals that the new president is cleaning house, and that Kerwin Bell may look elsewhere at some point.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 15th, 2014, 09:12 AM
The PFL needs to have their autobid yanked as a result of these shenanigans, and I don't say that lightly.

It is abjectly ridiculous that a conference can strip a team of a championship that they spent the entire season competing for, for reasons that had to be known well before the season even began. Changing the rules literally two weeks before the playoffs is unfair and wrong.

The PFL also needs their own commissioner, one without a clear conflict of interest.

FargoBison
November 15th, 2014, 09:26 AM
The PFL needs to have their autobid yanked as a result of these shenanigans, and I don't say that lightly.

It is abjectly ridiculous that a conference can strip a team of a championship that they spent the entire season competing for, for reasons that had to be known well before the season even began. Changing the rules literally two weeks before the playoffs is unfair and wrong.

The PFL also needs their own commissioner, one without a clear conflict of interest.

They can have Patty V, she is worthless.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 15th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Guess they needed someone to play NAU in the playoffs.

dbackjon
November 15th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Guess they needed someone to play NAU in the playoffs.

You're so clever figured out NAU's master plan

Lehigh Football Nation
November 15th, 2014, 12:48 PM
You're so clever figured out NAU's master plan

No, NDSU's. They need a cupcake team to head to the ThunderDome, goes to the NAU/USD winner.