PDA

View Full Version : UNI @ SIU 11/15/2014

UNIFanSince1983
November 14th, 2014, 10:57 AM
So thought I would start a thread about this game.

Two teams that appear to be playing for their playoff lives.

UNI is coming off two huge wins that were very emotional games. SIU seemed to have righted the ship against Mo State.

The elephant in the room, however, is UNI's inability to win in Carbondale since 1996. Farley has only beat Lennon 1 time. Should be a great game though as neither team has won by more than 7 since 2007 with 2 OT games in that stretch including last year's game.

IBleedYellow
November 14th, 2014, 11:38 AM
UNI rolls.

clenz
November 14th, 2014, 11:56 AM
30-35 degrees, windy, and snowing 1-3 inches.

Neither team throws the ball all that great.

Both teams run the ball well.

Game could be over in 2 hours.

SIU's freshman RB gets destroyed by Xavier Williams.

UNI picks up it's first win in Carbondale since I was 8

OR...

SIU wins big

underdawg
November 14th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Well our entire OL is finally healthy and playing together for the first time in a month---we may have given the Panthers a game if our top RB Agnew was playing--been out for nearly a month. New QB too

RabidRabbit
November 14th, 2014, 12:12 PM
A comparable game was YSU @ SDSU - Jacks had pwned 'Guins since joining the MVFC, it was Hobo Day. Final 'Guins 31, Jacks 28. Panthers overtake an 18 year @ Carbondale losing streak. +3.

Panther-State
November 14th, 2014, 12:34 PM
There are no words or predictions on this board or in this universe that can lead me to believe that UNI is going to be victorious until it actually happens. There is so much riding on this game for both teams and I am a firm believer in Murphy's law when it comes to the Panthers in recent years. Especially after last year and the beginning of this year.

Bisonator
November 14th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Well UNI should win but who knows they could just as easily crap themselves again.

UNIFanSince1983
November 14th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Well UNI should win but who knows they could just as easily crap themselves again.

Truer words could not be spoken. Well said.

Houndawg
November 14th, 2014, 01:46 PM
UNI rolls.

This, unfortunately.

We haven't beaten anybody yet and I can't find any confidence in a team that quits the way we did on Homecoming even if we did beat MSU without six starters. We haven't shown for the big games this year, and this is a big game. Cats end the jinx.xbawlingx

clenz
November 14th, 2014, 01:50 PM
I've never seen a game where both fan bases were convinced they would get rolled (and mean it) like this game.

Bisonator
November 14th, 2014, 01:59 PM
I've never seen a game where both fan bases were convinced they would get rolled (and mean it) like this game.

Yeah lot's of confidence in this one. Maybe you guys should have sand castle making contest instead.

FargoBison
November 14th, 2014, 02:07 PM
UNI doesn't know the secret to beating Lennon...the power of the stache.

Houndawg
November 14th, 2014, 02:16 PM
I wish I were sandbagging but between the 4th string walk-on RB starting this week again and losing two defensive starters to disciplinary problems I don't see us keeping the score close enough to give us a chance at the end. Otherwise I would be thinking upset if it were a one score game in the 4th qtr. As it is, I'd set DJ's over/under at 200 yds. for this game.

UNIFanSince1983
November 14th, 2014, 02:29 PM
I wish I were sandbagging but between the 4th string walk-on RB starting this week again and losing two defensive starters to disciplinary problems I don't see us keeping the score close enough to give us a chance at the end. Otherwise I would be thinking upset if it were a one score game in the 4th qtr. As it is, I'd set DJ's over/under at 200 yds. for this game.

Are you talking about the running back who had 37 carries for 210 yards last week?

clenz
November 14th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Are you talking about the running back who had 37 carries for 210 yards last week?
To be fair MSU gives up 188 yards per game rushing in conference play and UNI 91...

SIUSalukiFan
November 14th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Had it not been for injuries, bad breaks and coordinator incompetence over the past decade UNI would be coming into Carbondale riding a winning streak that would have made North Dakota State's recent run look small. Now that the Panthers have righted the ship order will be restored in the universe.

UNI 51, SIU 3.

unigriff
November 14th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Wasn't NDSU avg. Like 200 yards on the ground...what'd we hold them to? 43? Agnew and this new guy combined are are no John crockett...If it's wet and the run game is all SIU has...UNI should dominate just from pure field position thanks to the run D. I have a feeling DJ will have a big day running and receiving. Cats 31 SIU 10

Panther-State
November 14th, 2014, 02:53 PM
It's borderline hilarious, but I don't blame either side. Both have seen the seen highs and lows this year and despite the lows, are both very good teams. Throw in a bit of historical facts to imply predicted performance and "BOOM"! A complete case of the "Cautious Cathy's" to make sure that any crow that has to be stomached next week is at least plucked, seasoned and cooked. That's my approach.

I've watched the MVFC long enough to know that there is no such thing as a sure win, no matter what each team is doing leading up.

underdawg
November 14th, 2014, 03:21 PM
This, unfortunately.

We haven't beaten anybody yet and I can't find any confidence in a team that quits the way we did on Homecoming even if we did beat MSU without six starters. We haven't shown for the big games this year, and this is a big game. Cats end the jinx.xbawlingx

Now I've got it. UNI has been jinxed because they have a (drum roll) black cat as their mascot.

Sycamore62
November 14th, 2014, 04:27 PM
I feel like I'm in an anti-smack talk thread

JayJ79
November 14th, 2014, 04:32 PM
I've watched the MVFC long enough to know that there is no such thing as a sure win, no matter what each team is doing leading up.

I dunno. there were a few years where games against Indiana State fell into that category. (certainly not the case this year, obviously. but some of those years...... )

Sycamore62
November 14th, 2014, 05:28 PM
I dunno. there were a few years where games against Indiana State fell into that category. (certainly not the case this year, obviously. but some of those years...... )

Hope to be able to forget those days for good

Green1
November 14th, 2014, 05:32 PM

It makes Indiana State's turnaround this year, all that more impressive!

unigriff
November 14th, 2014, 06:21 PM
I feel like I'm in an anti-smack talk thread

despite our hatred of the rivalry...we are typically good fans with each other. I know I've never had any problems with their fans or in C-dumpale. :) One of my wife's best friends is from C-dale and went to SIU. So here, even in texas MVFC finds friendship.

Plus we both know how crappy our teams have been this year and how good we really should be..its just frustrating and easy to be pessimistic.

underdawg
November 14th, 2014, 07:33 PM
despite our hatred of the rivalry...we are typically good fans with each other. I know I've never had any problems with their fans or in C-dumpale. :) One of my wife's best friends is from C-dale and went to SIU. So here, even in texas MVFC finds friendship.

Plus we both know how crappy our teams have been this year and how good we really should be..its just frustrating and easy to be pessimistic.

I have never met an UNI fan I had any trouble with---now Illinois State fans maybe---ha, ha, just kidding you cuddly little deadbirds

skinny_uncle
November 14th, 2014, 07:35 PM
A few years ago, these are the two teams who were fighting for the league crown on a regular basis. And then some idiot said let's try expansion.........
xchinscratchx

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 14th, 2014, 08:16 PM
A few years ago, these are the two teams who were fighting for the league crown on a regular basis. And then some idiot said let's try expansion.........
xchinscratchx

Don't you hate it when that happens....:D

skinny_uncle
November 14th, 2014, 08:48 PM
He is, but the same guy only had 66 yards all year prior to that game. It was an impressive effort for a freshman walk-on.

Houndawg
November 14th, 2014, 09:02 PM

With a long of 14.xsmhx

We were at our healthiest in a long time, and MSU was already eliminated.

Houndawg
November 14th, 2014, 09:07 PM
Wasn't NDSU avg. Like 200 yards on the ground...what'd we hold them to? 43? Agnew and this new guy combined are are no John crockett...If it's wet and the run game is all SIU has...UNI should dominate just from pure field position thanks to the run D. I have a feeling DJ will have a big day running and receiving. Cats 31 SIU 10

Agnew isn't playing. Ankle.

PantherRob82
November 14th, 2014, 09:09 PM
I don't expect us to win, but if we do I will say I knew it all along.

skinny_uncle
November 14th, 2014, 09:12 PM
I don't expect us to win, but if we do I will say I knew it all along.

We are forewarned. Spoken like a true politician. It kind of makes me miss Cap'n Cat.

PantherRob82
November 14th, 2014, 09:13 PM
We are forewarned. Spoken like a true politician. It kind of makes me miss Cap'n Cat.

I'm sure he misses you, too. Maybe I can get him to make an appearance.

Houndawg
November 14th, 2014, 09:14 PM
I keep telling myself that there has to be an emotional letdown after the way they played the Bison... has​ to be...

SIUSalukiFan
November 14th, 2014, 09:28 PM
I keep telling myself that there has to be an emotional letdown after the way they played the Bison... has​ to be...

Nah. The might purple juggernaut has awakened, and I fully expect UNI to run the table, make the playoffs and win the national title.

skinny_uncle
November 14th, 2014, 09:35 PM
Nah. The might purple juggernaut has awakened, and I fully expect UNI to run the table, make the playoffs and win the national title.
If they did, it would be just as historic as winning in Carbondale.

unigriff
November 14th, 2014, 09:36 PM
I'd sure like that SalukiFan.

For an interesting fun note on PN I made a comment regarding how this season and 2005 (National Runner up) are seemingly quite similar now at this point. (And this year's in some aspects is better)

Sycamore62
November 14th, 2014, 09:42 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if both teams pull out a loss tomorrow. Can that happen

UNIFanSince1983
November 15th, 2014, 07:18 AM

I gotta spread rep around before giving some more. xthumbsupx

Houndawg
November 15th, 2014, 07:25 AM

Yeah, but we'll lose by more than they will.xcoffeex

skinny_uncle
November 15th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Yeah, but we'll lose by more than they will.xcoffeex

As long as we come out of the game healthy......

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 15th, 2014, 09:48 AM
Would like to be at this game.

Interesting to see how UNI plays after last week's big win.

skinny_uncle
November 15th, 2014, 10:22 AM
Would like to be at this game.

Interesting to see how UNI plays after last week's big win.

Plenty of seats available. There's a high school playoff game going on between two local teams about 15 minutes down the road from Carbondale that will siphon off a lot of fans.

UNI Pike
November 15th, 2014, 11:42 AM

Two (different) suspended players have been rehabilitated just in the nick of time to suit up for this game. Wow, what incredibly good luck...

http://thesouthern.com/sports/all-eyes-in-the-backfield-for-saluki-defense-today/article_30ea5b54-e51d-58fe-8583-7aaa662dcfbc.html

BTW - I found a picture of HoundDawg building his new house

http://www.architecturelist.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/packing-bags2.jpg

clenz
November 15th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Two (different) suspended players have been rehabilitated just in the nick of time to suit up for this game. Wow, what incredibly good luck...

http://thesouthern.com/sports/all-eyes-in-the-backfield-for-saluki-defense-today/article_30ea5b54-e51d-58fe-8583-7aaa662dcfbc.html

Hope incredibly lucky....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

JayJ79
November 15th, 2014, 12:51 PM
One was suspended for missing a practice, according to news articles.
The other was suspended for DUI.

Meanwhile, two other players were kicked off the team for selling pot.

My own personal opinion is that potentially endangering innocent drivers/passengers/pedestrians/etc. by driving drunk is a bigger offense than enabling willing individuals to potentially endanger themselves by selling them pot. But I don't make the rules. Both actions are illegal.

Sycamore62
November 15th, 2014, 12:59 PM
One was suspended for missing a practice, according to news articles.
The other was suspended for DUI.

Meanwhile, two other players were kicked off the team for selling pot.

My own personal opinion is that potentially endangering innocent drivers/passengers/pedestrians/etc. by driving drunk is a bigger offense than enabling willing individuals to potentially endanger themselves by selling them pot. But I don't make the rules. Both actions are illegal.

They must not be a licensed medicinal marijuana dispensary

Houndawg
November 15th, 2014, 01:02 PM
They must not be a licensed medicinal marijuana dispensary

Just a couple of young entrepreneurs who happen to start for the local college's football team. Hope we don't see a spike in roid rage incidents..

Houndawg
November 15th, 2014, 01:07 PM

BTW - I found a picture of HoundDawg building his new house

http://www.architecturelist.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/packing-bags2.jpg

First break gone our way all year..xcoffeex

skinny_uncle
November 15th, 2014, 02:13 PM
The teams trade punts to start the game.

clenz
November 15th, 2014, 02:15 PM
I see uni is back to its terrible play calling...

skinny_uncle
November 15th, 2014, 02:22 PM
I see uni is back to its terrible play calling...

Give the Dawg's D a little credit.

skinny_uncle
November 15th, 2014, 02:31 PM
UNI scores first on an 18 yard scoring pass.

UNI 7 SIU 0

clenz
November 15th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Holy ****... I think that might be the first pass to a tight end at uni in 7 weeks.

Uni up 7-0

skinny_uncle
November 15th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Kinney misses on a 48 yard FG attempt.
xnonono2x

clenz
November 15th, 2014, 02:50 PM
Kinney misses on a 48 FG attempt.
xnonono2x
Tv said he's now just 2-6 on the season from outside of 40.

Clearly has the leg but no accuracy on long kicks.

I would look for siu to start going for 4th and manageable from that distance going forward

clenz
November 15th, 2014, 02:55 PM
For the life of me i can't figure out why uni continues to let carnes throw

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 15th, 2014, 02:56 PM
For the life of me i can't figure out why uni continues to let carnes throw

Agree...watching this on espn3.....give him the ball and do it again and again.....repeat!!!

clenz
November 15th, 2014, 03:00 PM
INT by max busher returned to the 3.

Next play is a td run by dj

14-0 uni

835 in second

clenz
November 15th, 2014, 03:03 PM
SIU follows with a 3 and out

Bisonator
November 15th, 2014, 03:04 PM
This could get ugly for SIU.

skinny_uncle
November 15th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Good grief. Someone shoot our punter.
xnonono2x

UNI Pike
November 15th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Carnes makes longest pass of the year, so let's pass, pass, pass. Kinda like a lottery winner blowing their jackpot on more lottery tickets.

skinny_uncle
November 15th, 2014, 03:15 PM
UNI gets a pick 6.
http://www.salukination.net/images/smilies/icon_cry.gif

clenz
November 15th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Kilfoy with his 4th pick in 2.5 games and second pick 6

unigriff
November 15th, 2014, 03:33 PM
30 more minutes...come on!!!

centennial
November 15th, 2014, 03:34 PM
UNI has pulled defeat out of the jaws of victory before.

skinny_uncle
November 15th, 2014, 03:37 PM
At least basketball gets started tonight.

UNI Pike
November 15th, 2014, 03:41 PM
At least basketball gets started tonight.

Bring back Chris Lowry

skinny_uncle
November 15th, 2014, 04:03 PM
UNI scores after they pick up a fumble in the end zone. XP blocked.
27-0

clenz
November 15th, 2014, 04:05 PM
UNIs offense looks bad, credit to siu for slowing dj.

SIU, though, just looks terrible. They look like they've given up on this season

unigriff
November 15th, 2014, 04:06 PM
i didn't feel very safe up 21-0 until that happened. Defense Special Teams ties the UNI offense with 2-2 on TDs. Woulda been an upset had our offense outperformed our D.

UNI Pike
November 15th, 2014, 04:06 PM
I would say the stadium is clearing out, but that would mean one of the teams or the officials are leaving.

clenz
November 15th, 2014, 04:08 PM
I would say the stadium is clearing out, but that would mean one of the teams or the officials are leaving.
Yeah... How can you tell?

centennial
November 15th, 2014, 04:09 PM
UNIs offense looks bad, credit to siu for slowing dj.

SIU, though, just looks terrible. They look like they've given up on this season

I wonder if this will come back to bite you guys. Can't depend on special teams/defense every game.

clenz
UNI d/st again outscoring the offense.

Pick 6, botched punt for td. The offense has 2 but the one was because an int returned to the 1...

skinny_uncle

There was probably a bigger crowd at a high school playoff game about 15 minutes down the road.

skinny_uncle
November 15th, 2014, 04:11 PM
We finally score on a TD pass to Pruitt.

unigriff
November 15th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Almost 7 quarters later...UNI gives up first offensive TD. Back to worry up 27-7

clenz
November 15th, 2014, 04:12 PM
SIUs uniforms are giving up too... http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/15/058da33d3b52e68b387d3a0e6910fb12.jpg

clenz
November 15th, 2014, 04:14 PM
UNI needs a score to make me feel confident again...

unigriff
November 15th, 2014, 04:18 PM
WOW! WHAT A CATCH

- - - Updated - - -

That's a man beast making a hell of a catch

skinny_uncle
November 15th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Johnson runs in a 30 yard score.

XP blocked again

33-7

clenz
November 15th, 2014, 04:24 PM
The hell is going on with fgs today?

unigriff
November 15th, 2014, 04:29 PM
been super low on both. 15 minutes left. 4 score game. 1 good drive with T.O.P and we got it.

- - - Updated - - -

YSU/ISUb going to OT. YSU Fought back

clenz
November 15th, 2014, 04:30 PM
UNI with another pick. Ray Mitchell returns the pick from 30 to 30...

unigriff
November 15th, 2014, 04:31 PM
32 yd TD pass from Carnes...nice!

clenz
November 15th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Next play is a prefectly thrown (wtf) deep corner go route to Lemaster for a td.

40-7 over 14 to go yet

skinny_uncle
November 15th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Congrats Panthers.

unigriff
November 15th, 2014, 04:40 PM
wow ISUb just beat YSU in OT.

skinny_uncle
November 15th, 2014, 04:44 PM
Another TD pass to Pruitt.

40-14

Bisonator
November 15th, 2014, 04:45 PM
UNI is a scary team right now. Congrats again Panthers!

unigriff
November 15th, 2014, 04:46 PM
NDSU do us a favor and lose to YSU next week so we can get 6 teams in :)

Bison56
November 15th, 2014, 04:51 PM
NDSU do us a favor and lose to YSU next week so we can get 6 teams in :)
:D
It would be harder to throw a game against YSU then to win it at the end of the season.

skinny_uncle
November 15th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Mark Iannotti runs in a score.

40-21.

PantherRob82
November 15th, 2014, 07:33 PM
I told you guys UNI would roll. ;)

Professor Chaos
November 15th, 2014, 07:50 PM
UNI has a scary defense right now. Congrats again Panthers!
FIFY

As a Bison fan I don't think I'm sandbagging when I say UNI is playing the best defense in the FCS right now. In terms of not only being impossible to move the ball against but also opportunistic as hell. UNI's offense has been underwhelming despite their impressive run but it doesn't matter when their defense is this good. I'd love to see UNI match up against some of the high flying Big Sky offenses during the playoffs. :D

JayJ79
November 15th, 2014, 10:37 PM
Carnes throws 18-28 (64%) for 169 yds and 2 TDs. Did have an interception, but that was more on the receiver than on the throw (defender pulled it away from the receiver).

Brion is not a great QB. But somehow he has managed to win all 7 games that he's started for UNI.

UNIFanSince1983
November 16th, 2014, 10:09 AM
One more game. Take care of business at home against MSU and the season isn't a complete bust again!

clenz
November 16th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Carnes throws 18-28 (64%) for 169 yds and 2 TDs. Did have an interception, but that was more on the receiver than on the throw (defender pulled it away from the receiver).

Brion is not a great QB. But somehow he has managed to win all 7 games that he's started for UNI.
The best game he has ever played.

He was bailed out big time by the receivers more than a couple times with amazing one handed grabs.