PDA

View Full Version : Geographical Distribution of Fordham Ram Offense. Who can match it?

Fordhamanhattan
November 14th, 2014, 05:24 AM
Receivers Tebucky Jones Jr. (Connecticut), my fav Brian Wetzel and Sam Ajala (Texas), all American tight end Dan Light (Massachusetts), strong tackle Mason Halter (Ohio), strong guard Garrick Mayweather Jr. (Louisiana), center Joe Mizera (Illinois), guard Matt Stolte (New Jersey), tackle Anthony Coyle (the only native New Yorker if you consider Staten Island New York), Payton candidate Chase Edmonds (Keystone Pipeline err I mean state), and great QB Mike Nebrich (Virginia). Eleven starters from 10 states! Senior day against Georgetown,the team Fordham has played 55 times since 1890 when Fordham was called St. John's and Eugene O'Neill's ill fated brother Jamie was about to be expelled by the Jesuit fathers for bringing a showgirl into the dorm under the pretense of her being his sister. Even then, it was hard to slip one by the Jebbies. I have always hated/envied Georgetown (What once Roman school names itself after an English King and a lousy one at that?). Also expected to see some action is our star senior backup QB who filled in so well the last two weeks, Peter Maetzold. Interestingly, at least to me, Maetzold's parents went to the rival high school in Virginia to the school Mike Nebrich attended. Go Rams!

xthumbsupx

DFW HOYA
November 14th, 2014, 06:36 AM
Georgetown starters: Eight states and one foreign country. Not unexpected for a school where only 3% of the student body is from Washington.

What once Roman school names itself after an English King and a lousy one at that?).

Ask St. John's College. Did it rename itself after a English village?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fordham,_Cambridgeshire

Georgetown was named for the city of Georgetown, Maryland, which itself was named for George II, the last German-born king of England.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_II_of_Great_Britain

kalm
November 14th, 2014, 06:55 AM
We can't match it. Then again, you can fit 10 puny east coast states in the three our starters are from.

bonarae
November 14th, 2014, 07:05 AM
OK, Harvard's... xcoffeex

QB - Scott Hosch (GA), Conner Hempel (KY)
HB - Paul Stanton Jr. (NOLA), Semar Smith (FL)
WR1 - Seitu Smith (FL, Semar's older brother), Jamie Stewart (San Diego)
WR2 - Andrew Fischer (Los Angeles), Joseph Foster (VA)
WR3 (H) - Ty Hamblin (NY), Matt Brown (RI)
TE - Anthony Firkser (NJ), Ryan Halvorson (San Diego)

LT - Adam Redmond (Cleveland), Max Rich (Portland State area)
LG - William Nichols (Phoenix), Paul Kaczor (MN)
C - Nick Easton (NC), Matt Perry (OH)
RG - Anthony Fabiano (Boston), Jordan Weatherby (OH)
RT - Cole Toner (IN), Daniel Laden (Austin)

11 starters, each from a different state.

MTfan4life
November 14th, 2014, 07:09 AM
The first team I looked at. Idaho State has a very untypical Northwest/Southeast combination. They're most recent starters come from Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, Georgia, Florida, and Alabama. I can't imagine too many other teams have multiple starters from these two opposite corners of the contiguous U.S.

Fordhamanhattan
November 14th, 2014, 07:11 AM
Harvard always wins. Even on the gridiron against Fordham except for the game in the early 90's when our current coach Joe Moorhead quarterbacked us to victory in the Harvard ballyard.

Fordhamanhattan
November 14th, 2014, 07:17 AM
Good point Hoya. Fordham founder Archbishop John Hughes must have been rolling in his grave when the Jesuits changed the name of the college from his given name. Hughes was called "Dagger John" because the cross he put on his signature looked like one. When the No-Nothings threatened to burn the Roman churches, Hughes declared "If you burn one of ours, we will burn all of yours". Those were fun days. The "Gangs of New York"

DFW HOYA
November 14th, 2014, 07:40 AM
To win in football, you recruit at home. Where would the Hoyas be today if Michael Nebrich was playing 20 miles from his home, instead of 250 miles?

TheRevSFA
November 14th, 2014, 07:46 AM
Tebucky Jones Jr?

Someone thought Tebucky was worth passing down?

Fordhamanhattan
November 14th, 2014, 07:56 AM
When your name is Jones, Tom or Jerry won't do. The name certainly worked out for Tebucky Sr. And our opposition certainly have not been able to keep up with this Jones this year. You Tube Fordham-Lafayette highlights.

breezy
November 14th, 2014, 08:04 AM
For Holy Cross (based on the current starting lineup posted for this week's game):

Offense:

1 Washington (state, not DC)
2 Massachusetts
3 Pennsylvania
2 Illinois
1 Kansas
1 Colorado
1 Georgia

Defense:

1 Virginia
1 Pennsylvania
2 New Jersey
1 Illinois
1 Florida
1 Michigan
1 California
1 Texas
1 Missouri
1 Ohio

Grizalltheway
November 14th, 2014, 12:11 PM
I'm going to cheat and include defense.

For anyone who's curious, it's 4040 miles as the crow flies from Cedar Rapids, IA to Honolulu, HI.

Bisonator
November 14th, 2014, 12:38 PM
I'm going to cheat and include defense.

For anyone who's curious, it's 4040 miles as the crow flies from Cedar Rapids, IA to Honolulu, HI.

Oh yeah how about from Lewisberry, PA to Kapolei, HI?:D

Answer: 4,827 miles!;)

Grizalltheway
November 14th, 2014, 01:00 PM
Oh yeah how about from Lewisberry, PA to Kapolei, HI?:D

Answer: 4,827 miles!;)

Are those guys starters, though? Just because I cheated doesn't mean you can!

Sader87
November 14th, 2014, 01:03 PM
Here's an article from Jan. 2014 on geographical diversity (and corresponding lists). Not surprisingly, the Top 10 most diverse rosters (not starters) were from the Ivy and Patriot League as well as (PL in everything else) Army and Navy and Notre Dame. Holy Cross was the #8 most diverse roster last year.

http://blog.modeanalytics.com/where-football-players-call-home/

Bisonator
November 14th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Are those guys starters, though? Just because I cheated doesn't mean you can!

Didn't know they had to be starters. And one is our kicker who only has 4 toes so there.....:p

MTfan4life
November 14th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Didn't know they had to be starters. And one is our kicker who only has 4 toes so there.....:p

4 toes total?!? That'd be quite impressive if so! xlolx

ramMan
November 14th, 2014, 04:51 PM
I went to a game at Eastern Illinois (Tony Romo's and Sean Payton's alma mater) a few weeks back and was surprised by the number of Hawaiians in the Panthers' starting lineup. EIU is in rural Middle of Nowhere, IL. I don't get the connection, other than the coaches wanting to escape from the cold Midwest winter to recruit in the Aloha State. Any EIU fans on here with an explanation?

BucBisonAtLarge
November 14th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Bucknell relies on the recruiting strengths of the current staff, keeping it local, for now-NJ, PA, NY, MD, Ohio-- for the most part. Susan recruited for Rutgers and Princeton for years. There are usually a few Texans on the roster, such as Brandon Wesley, the four-year QB who graduated last year. The commits for next year look pretty much the same, adding in a couple of Floridians. I suspect that this is a happy coincidence of staff strengths and budget realities. Other Bucknell sports (M/W hoops, water polo, wrestling) have a more national recruiting base.

HoyaMetanoia
November 14th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Georgetown starters: Eight states and one foreign country. Not unexpected for a school where only 3% of the student body is from Washington.

Ask St. John's College. Did it rename itself after a English village?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fordham,_Cambridgeshire

Georgetown was named for the city of Georgetown, Maryland, which itself was named for George II, the last German-born king of England.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_II_of_Great_Britain

3% from DC? That's somewhere near 200 students. Way more than I expected.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 14th, 2014, 11:37 PM
4 toes total?!? That'd be quite impressive if so! xlolx

You only need the big toes and the pinky toes and you can get by on stability with that and it makes foot cleaning way easier.

lionsrking2
November 14th, 2014, 11:52 PM
In a perfect world, I'd prefer to have 11 starters from within an hour's drive of Hammond, Louisiana but we're pretty diverse for a state school.

QB - Bryan Bennett, Granada Hills, Ca.
RB - Rasheed Harrell, Miami, Fl.
RB - Kody Sutton, Texarkana, Tx.
LT - Aaron Reed, El Paso, Tx.
LG - Josue Miranda, Bisbee, Az.
C - Ryan Cockerton, Kelseyville, Ca.
RG - Taylor Romero, Manvel, Tx.
RT - Jonathan Braddock, Ripley, Ms.
WR - Devante Scott, Ferriday, La.
WR - Jeff Smiley, Flower Mound, Tx.
WR -Chris Malott, The Woodlands, Tx.
TE -Jeremy Meyers, Baton Rouge, La.

Kemo
November 15th, 2014, 12:23 AM
In a perfect world, I'd prefer to have 11 starters from within an hour's drive of Hammond, Louisiana but we're pretty diverse for a state school.

QB - Bryan Bennett, Granada Hills, Ca.
RB - Rasheed Harrell, Miami, Fl.
RB - Kody Sutton, Texarkana, Tx.
LT - Aaron Reed, El Paso, Tx.
LG - Josue Miranda, Bisbee, Az.
C - Ryan Cockerton, Kelseyville, Ca.
RG - Taylor Romero, Manvel, Tx.
RT - Jonathan Braddock, Ripley, Ms.
WR - Devante Scott, Ferriday, La.
WR - Jeff Smiley, Flower Mound, Tx.
WR -Chris Malott, The Woodlands, Tx.
TE -Jeremy Meyers, Baton Rouge, La.
Lions seem to be lacking in the Northern Speed category. Too much Southern Slow ;)

lionsrking2
November 15th, 2014, 12:27 AM
Lions seem to be lacking in the Northern Speed category. Too much Southern Slow ;)

Yeah, we're definitely not Rabbits in these parts. ;)

MacThor
November 17th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Nebrich was only looking FBS when he was recruited out of high school. When Pasqualoni benched him, that would have been the opportunity for local FCS schools.

Fordham
November 17th, 2014, 09:58 AM
OK, Harvard's... xcoffeex

QB - Scott Hosch (GA), Conner Hempel (KY)
HB - Paul Stanton Jr. (NOLA), Semar Smith (FL)
WR1 - Seitu Smith (FL, Semar's older brother), Jamie Stewart (San Diego)
WR2 - Andrew Fischer (Los Angeles), Joseph Foster (VA)
WR3 (H) - Ty Hamblin (NY), Matt Brown (RI)
TE - Anthony Firkser (NJ), Ryan Halvorson (San Diego)

LT - Adam Redmond (Cleveland), Max Rich (Portland State area)
LG - William Nichols (Phoenix), Paul Kaczor (MN)
C - Nick Easton (NC), Matt Perry (OH)
RG - Anthony Fabiano (Boston), Jordan Weatherby (OH)
RT - Cole Toner (IN), Daniel Laden (Austin)

11 starters, each from a different state.

friggin' Harvard ...

chattownmocs
November 17th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Not counting fbs transfers I think we only have guys from 4 states and I think our florida guys are graduating this year.