PDA

View Full Version : EKU upsets UT-Martin

Skyhawks
November 11th, 2006, 02:57 PM
EKU hits a 39 yard field goal to win the game 31-28.

colonelblitz
November 11th, 2006, 03:29 PM
The upset, would have been if you had won.. EKU 18 straight wins over UTM,
That being said, Congrats on an outstanding season!! Ya'll have played and beaten the others and have earned the right to represent the OVC. Best of luck. I'll be pulling for UTM.. :hurray: Make us proud..:thumbsup:

Maroons
November 11th, 2006, 03:35 PM
I know we're now 18-0 against them all-time... but that doesn't make us the favorites in this game. We were the unranked underdogs and pulled the upset. Give Martin credit where it is due... they have been the class of the OVC this year.

I, too, however will be pulling for Martin next week against Murray and us against TSU. That way Martin will get the auto-bid to the playoffs.

PantherRob82
November 11th, 2006, 03:53 PM
How does the OVC stack up right now?

colonelblitz
November 11th, 2006, 03:53 PM
I know we're now 18-0 against them all-time... but that doesn't make us the favorites in this game.

It does in UTM's mind. :smiley_wi And once again , I'll be pulling for UTM just like I have all year, except for today:) .. UTM 2006 OVC Champs.:hurray:

mvemjsunpx
November 11th, 2006, 03:57 PM
What happens if EIU finishes 7-1 and UTM finishes 6-1 in conference?

colonelblitz
November 11th, 2006, 04:09 PM
What happens if EIU finishes 7-1 and UTM finishes 6-1 in conference?
UTM beat EIU..I'm guessing they would get the bid.

Maroons
November 11th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Here's how the OVC stacks up in the only way that matters...

UTM, TSU and EIU all tied with one league loss.

UTM beat EIU head to head and holds the tiebreaker over them. They have a game left against a weak Murray State squad.

TSU beat JaxState but lost to EIU. They will not play UTM this year and only have a game AT EKU remaining.

EIU has one game remaining against JaxState.

If all three of those teams win next weekend, my understanding is it will be a 3-way tie and they'll do the magic draw for the auto bid.
If only UTM loses, EIU gets the auto bid by virtue of their victory over TSU.
If only EIU loses, UTM and TSU tie and they'll have a magic draw.
If only TSU loses, UTM will win the auto bid by virtue of their victory over EIU.
If any two teams lose, the third will win.

MplsBison
November 11th, 2006, 06:19 PM
The OVC has 9 members.

How is possible that Tenn State is not playing Tenn Martin?

Maroons
November 11th, 2006, 06:21 PM
The league offered a special carrot to TSU at some point, allowing them to not play one OVC opponent a year on a rotating basis so that TSU could keep intact their traditional HBCU rivalries. This year, that team just happened to be #8 UT-Martin.

Things get even harrier next year with 10 teams when Austin Peay comes back. I'm pretty Eastern and UT-M won't play for the next year or two.

matfu
November 11th, 2006, 07:43 PM
if all 3 win out next week how many do you think will get in the playoffs?

bigbluetiger
November 11th, 2006, 08:41 PM

one

hawkeye
November 11th, 2006, 09:01 PM
one

You got to travel to EKU huh? Sorry

hawkeye
November 11th, 2006, 09:04 PM
I know we're now 18-0 against them all-time... but that doesn't make us the favorites in this game. We were the unranked underdogs and pulled the upset. Give Martin credit where it is due... they have been the class of the OVC this year.

I, too, however will be pulling for Martin next week against Murray and us against TSU. That way Martin will get the auto-bid to the playoffs.

Excellent offensive scheme for you guys today. Absolutely the best misdirection play of any offense Martin has face. :bow:

Sam Adams
November 11th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Congrats EKU !

Maroons
November 11th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Coach Danny Hope's teams have always been tough by end of the year. I don't think he's ever lost in November and he always seems to end the season with 3-4-or-5 game winning streaks. I hope those trends continue when we finally get back to the playoffs...

And yes, great win for the kids and program... but Martin is still the class of the OVC this year. One win does not a season make and one loss does not a season waste. I'd trade places with Martin in a heartbeat if it meant EKU was playing for the playoffs on Saturday.

colonelblitz
November 11th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Coach Danny Hope's teams have always been tough by end of the year. I don't think he's ever lost in November and he always seems to end the season with 3-4-or-5 game winning streaks. I hope those trends continue when we finally get back to the playoffs...

And yes, great win for the kids and program... but Martin is still the class of the OVC this year. One win does not a season make and one loss does not a season waste. I'd trade places with Martin in a heartbeat if it meant EKU was playing for the playoffs on Saturday.

Well said..:thumbsup: I'll only add one thing..western lost..:hurray: Sorry killtoppers90 , I couldn't resist..:)

UMass922
November 11th, 2006, 11:48 PM

Two. UT-M and EIU should both get in.

Chucktown
November 12th, 2006, 12:34 AM
If TSU beats EKU next week, Martin beats murray, and EIU beats Jax state- EIU gets the automatic bid. If all 3 teams do not play each other, then the tie breaker is the next ranked team in the conference. Which is EKU. If EKU loses next week, and EIU wins, EIU gets the bid regardless of what TENN martin does. But if EKU beats TSU, and Martin wins, Martin gets the bid and EIU has to hope for an at large.

So this week EIU is rooting for TSU and Murray St. There is a lot of hope for TSU with their explosive offense, but the murray game doesnt have much hope. Regardless, EIU must win next week to get in- whether that be auto bid, or at large---xlolx :nod: :hurray:

bigbluetiger
November 12th, 2006, 04:44 AM
If TSU beats EKU next week, Martin beats murray, and EIU beats Jax state- EIU gets the automatic bid.

I'm not sure that this statement is correct.

MplsBison
November 12th, 2006, 12:06 PM
The league offered a special carrot to TSU at some point, allowing them to not play one OVC opponent a year on a rotating basis so that TSU could keep intact their traditional HBCU rivalries.

That's a load of crap.

If TSU wants to be a HBCU, then let them join the SWAC.

Maroons
November 12th, 2006, 01:45 PM
That's a load of crap.

That it's a load of crap seems to be the consensus among the fans... but I'm not sure what anyone can do about it now.

Also, with Austin Peay rejoining the OVC next year, we'll have 10 teams and everyone won't be playing each other, so it may be a mute point.

Also, even though UTC turned the conference down... I think the OVC is still looking to expand by one so some kind of scheduling alternative may be neccessary.

Killtoppers90
November 12th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Well said..:thumbsup: I'll only add one thing..western lost..:hurray: Sorry killtoppers90 , I couldn't resist..:)
No problem here brother! Congrats on a good win and a good season.

bigbluetiger
November 12th, 2006, 02:38 PM
That's a load of crap.

We have no choice, we will always be an HBCU. We can't change our history.

I think the agreement was made 15-20 years ago when the OVC had more football members. The OVC has always granted consessions to members, WKU was a football only member while Austin Peay and Morehead do not participate in Football. Looking back, it was probably no big deal to skip one game when some member schools were missing a whole season. It would appear that we are recieving special treament because WKU has moved on and AP is returning to scholarship football.

That it's a load of crap seems to be the consensus among the fans

What fans? You mean a bunch of internet nerds?

Maroons
November 12th, 2006, 03:43 PM
What fans? You mean a bunch of internet nerds?

lol I guess so.

I might also argue that the internet nerds are the more passionate and informed fans... and that if the deal becomes an issue at the end of season, I think the media will hop on also and more people will become informed. And I haven't heard anyone argue in favor of the TSU exception.

But I don't really care all that much unless there's a possibility that it leads to forcing Morehead back into the league. And it probably won't even matter next year with APSU coming back.

ekufbfan
November 12th, 2006, 06:50 PM
No problem here brother! Congrats on a good win and a good season.

"good season"? Surely you jest? Not by any stretch of the imagination or by ANY EKU standards has it been a good season. Even though I am glad we have won the last couple of games, what it has been is a major disappointing season!:(

EKU05
November 12th, 2006, 07:24 PM
lol I guess so.

I might also argue that the internet nerds are the more passionate and informed fans... and that if the deal becomes an issue at the end of season, I think the media will hop on also and more people will become informed. And I haven't heard anyone argue in favor of the TSU exception.

But I don't really care all that much unless there's a possibility that it leads to forcing Morehead back into the league. And it probably won't even matter next year with APSU coming back.

If I-AA did go to a 12 game schedule it would be a mute point. I feel quite certain that the OVC won't go a nine game league schedule regardless....so a 12 game schedule would leave room for the Tigers to play 4 classic games as well as a full 8 team schedule.

My opinion has always been that it is kind of dumb but...

I don't blame TSU for taking what they are being allowed...they would be foolish not to. If you want to blame anyone blame the league (and by extension its members) that allows them to do it. Also, at the end of the day I like having TSU in the OVC, so if we have to bite the bullet on this one I won't lose any sleep over it.

BBT, do you happen to know if the 'crats are coming to Richmond next week? We haven't brought them in the last couple of times, and I'd really like it if they came in again. It's always entertaining, and probably draws a few extra people out to the Kidd on gameday.

bigbluetiger
November 12th, 2006, 07:45 PM
BBT, do you happen to know if the 'crats are coming to Richmond next week? We haven't brought them in the last couple of times, and I'd really like it if they came in again. It's always entertaining, and probably draws a few extra people out to the Kidd on gameday.

Given what's at stake for us I'd say it's a 50/50 chance. I think our athletic department would look for every advantange. In the past, the athletic department has funded the band to travel to key OVC games that we were in contention. There should be confirmation by mid-week.

colonelblitz
November 12th, 2006, 08:00 PM
"good season"? Surely you jest? Not by any stretch of the imagination or by ANY EKU standards has it been a good season. Even though I am glad we have won the last couple of games, what it has been is a major disappointing season!:(

Jest.. you bet he is..:)

Killtoppers90
November 12th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Pardon me but didn't you say any season where EKU beats WKU is a GOOD season? If that is true, you had a good season then right? But I feel your pains as well, WKU should have had a much better showing in several games this year. I am doubting our currnet coaching staff should be the one to carry us in 1-A level play!

ekufbfan
November 12th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Pardon me but didn't you say any season where EKU beats WKU is a GOOD season? If that is true, you had a good season then right? But I feel your pains as well, WKU should have had a much better showing in several games this year. I am doubting our currnet coaching staff should be the one to carry us in 1-A level play!

Sorry, I do not recall making such a statement. As much as I thoughly enjoy beating, thrashing or just plain puttin' a ol' fashion whupping on wku, that alone DOES NOT a season make. Some EKU students got a little carried away after the EKU win over wku, but for those of us who have been around the block knew that while that was a lot of fun, win or lose, the sun comes up tomorrow and we had a lot of games left. Unfortunately, as it has turned out, that might have been the high point of this season and that is very disappointing for EKU fans who expected more.:mad: Personally, I am tired of saying wait until next year!

Killtoppers90
November 13th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Sorry, I do not recall making such a statement. As much as I thoughly enjoy beating, thrashing or just plain puttin' a ol' fashion whupping on wku, that alone DOES NOT a season make. Some EKU students got a little carried away after the EKU win over wku, but for those of us who have been around the block knew that while that was a lot of fun, win or lose, the sun comes up tomorrow and we had a lot of games left. Unfortunately, as it has turned out, that might have been the high point of this season and that is very disappointing for EKU fans who expected more.:mad: Personally, I am tired of saying wait until next year!
Oh, well I must be mistaking you for another one of your EKU bretheren. But I understand your frustration in the way your season has turned out. Ours has gone the same way!