PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 11-10

JALMOND
November 12th, 2014, 10:58 PM
Two weeks left in the conference season and maybe we finally are getting some separation in the conference race. But, if everything holds to form, there could be some more surprises and throw the race even further into an abyss. Really a great and exciting season in the conference all season and time to see how it all ends. Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). All are my opinion only. Hang on, this is going to be good.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---The Eagles sent Montana back home with a loss last weekend in a game that may have been closer than expected. Still, the Eagles find themselves in the drivers seat as they head into their final game, two weeks from Friday at Portland State.

2. Montana State (3)---The Bobcats put up with a game effort from Portland State and emerged a winner at home. Things start to get a bit difficult for the Bobcats, starting this weekend as they bring in upstart Idaho State to town.

3. Idaho State (4)---The Bengals took care of their toughest challenge so far this season, besting Cal Poly at home. The games only start to get tough from now on, especially this weekend as they have to go on the road to Montana State.

4. Cal Poly (2)---Not a bad effort for the Mustangs last weekend but they could not come home from Idaho State with a win. They will need to rebound from this loss this weekend as they head home to welcome lowly UC-Davis for an important game.

5. Montana (5)---The Grizzlies gave mighty Eastern Washington a game last weekend on the road but still came home with a painful loss. Things now have become really difficult for the Grizzlies and they need to get right this weekend, on the road at Southern Utah.

6. Northern Arizona (6)---It is true that the Lumberjacks avoided an upset at home at the hands of UC-Davis last week, but the win was not impressive. Questions about their team will be answered this weekend as they have to go to North Dakota.

7. Sacramento State (7)---The Hornets got an impressive home win last weekend at the expense of reeling Southern Utah. Playing for pride now, they stay at home this weekend and welcome another reeling team, Portland State, to their home turf.

8. Southern Utah (8)---The Thunderbirds are trying to play spoiler but they could not get the win last week against Sacramento State. Trying to take the opportunity to ruin someone's season, this weekend they bring in Montana to their cozy home.

9. Northern Colorado (9)---The Bears took a much needed break from conference football action last weekend and now have a great chance to get another conference win this weekend, heading out on the road to Weber State.

10. Portland State (10)---The Vikings did not back down last weekend on the road at Montana State, but could not bust through and get the upset win. Still, with some confidence, they hit the road again this weekend, going to Sacramento State.

11. Weber State (12)---Finally the first win of the season came for the Wildcats as they went to North Dakota last weekend and came home victorious. Wanting to build on this new found momentum, this weekend, they go home to play Northern Colorado.

12. North Dakota (11)---The No-Names could not get a win at home last weekend against previously winless Weber State, putting a dent in the season. They look for a strong finish and a upset win this weekend as Northern Arizona comes calling.

13. UC-Davis (13)---The Aggies took it to Northern Arizona on the road last week but could not get the big upset win. Still, confidence abounds and they would love to derail the Cal Poly train, especially on the Mustangs home field.

RECAP: 1 emerging, 2-3 trying to keep up, 4 on an island, 5-6 off the pace, 7-10 a bit behind, 11-13 bringing up the rear.

dudeitsaid
November 13th, 2014, 12:48 AM
Two weeks left in the conference season and maybe we finally are getting some separation in the conference race. But, if everything holds to form, there could be some more surprises and throw the race even further into an abyss. Really a great and exciting season in the conference all season and time to see how it all ends. Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). All are my opinion only. Hang on, this is going to be good.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---The Eagles sent Montana back home with a loss last weekend in a game that may have been closer than expected. Still, the Eagles find themselves in the drivers seat as they head into their final game, two weeks from Friday at Portland State.

2. Montana State (3)---The Bobcats put up with a game effort from Portland State and emerged a winner at home. Things start to get a bit difficult for the Bobcats, starting this weekend as they bring in upstart Idaho State to town.

3. Idaho State (4)---The Bengals took care of their toughest challenge so far this season, besting Cal Poly at home. The games only start to get tough from now on, especially this weekend as they have to go on the road to Montana State.

4. Cal Poly (2)---Not a bad effort for the Mustangs last weekend but they could not come home from Idaho State with a win. They will need to rebound from this loss this weekend as they head home to welcome lowly UC-Davis for an important game.

5. Montana (5)---The Grizzlies gave mighty Eastern Washington a game last weekend on the road but still came home with a painful loss. Things now have become really difficult for the Grizzlies and they need to get right this weekend, on the road at Southern Utah.

6. Northern Arizona (6)---It is true that the Lumberjacks avoided an upset at home at the hands of UC-Davis last week, but the win was not impressive. Questions about their team will be answered this weekend as they have to go to North Dakota.

7. Sacramento State (7)---The Hornets got an impressive home win last weekend at the expense of reeling Southern Utah. Playing for pride now, they stay at home this weekend and welcome another reeling team, Portland State, to their home turf.

8. Southern Utah (8)---The Thunderbirds are trying to play spoiler but they could not get the win last week against Sacramento State. Trying to take the opportunity to ruin someone's season, this weekend they bring in Montana to their cozy home.

9. Northern Colorado (9)---The Bears took a much needed break from conference football action last weekend and now have a great chance to get another conference win this weekend, heading out on the road to Weber State.

10. Portland State (10)---The Vikings did not back down last weekend on the road at Montana State, but could not bust through and get the upset win. Still, with some confidence, they hit the road again this weekend, going to Sacramento State.

11. Weber State (12)---Finally the first win of the season came for the Wildcats as they went to North Dakota last weekend and came home victorious. Wanting to build on this new found momentum, this weekend, they go home to play Northern Colorado.

12. North Dakota (11)---The No-Names could not get a win at home last weekend against previously winless Weber State, putting a dent in the season. They look for a strong finish and a upset win this weekend as Northern Arizona comes calling.

13. UC-Davis (13)---The Aggies took it to Northern Arizona on the road last week but could not get the big upset win. Still, confidence abounds and they would love to derail the Cal Poly train, especially on the Mustangs home field.

RECAP: 1 emerging, 2-3 trying to keep up, 4 on an island, 5-6 off the pace, 7-10 a bit behind, 11-13 bringing up the rear.

Crazy that our likely (maybe?) conference champ AQ is rated number 6th on the conference power rankings. I don't disagree. I think all five teams above NAU would win more often then not. Could make the first round of the playoffs interesting if that holds.

MTfan4life
November 13th, 2014, 03:21 AM
Crazy that our likely (maybe?) conference champ AQ is rated number 6th on the conference power rankings. I don't disagree. I think all five teams above NAU would win more often then not. Could make the first round of the playoffs interesting if that holds.

Yes, it is pretty crazy that it has worked out this way. That's the joy of the major conferences. NAU didn't have to play 4 teams that would've had a solid chance at beating them. (All 4 are in JALMOND's top 7 - ISU, MSU, UM, & Sac) If UND could find a quarterback instead of continuing to have their water boy take snaps, they might have a chance. Also, the new rivalry with Southern Utah could be a battle. The last time the home team won was 2009.

mvemjsunpx
November 13th, 2014, 03:48 AM
Yes, it is pretty crazy that it has worked out this way. That's the joy of the major conferences. NAU didn't have to play 4 teams that would've had a solid chance at beating them. (All 4 are in JALMOND's top 7 - ISU, MSU, UM, & Sac) If UND could find a quarterback instead of continuing to have their water boy take snaps, they might have a chance. Also, the new rivalry with Southern Utah could be a battle. The last time the home team won was 2009.

Not to mention the two they did play were in Flagstaff, and EWU was without Adams & Cal Poly hadn't started rolling yet. The 'Jacks are absurdly lucky to be in this position, just like Southern Utah last year.

JacksTown
November 14th, 2014, 07:46 AM
Not to mention the two they did play were in Flagstaff, and EWU was without Adams & Cal Poly hadn't started rolling yet. The 'Jacks are absurdly lucky to be in this position, just like Southern Utah last year.

Yep, lucky is the way things have gone for NAU this year. EWU is lucky Adams didn’t have a season ender and just as well, Cal Poly is lucky their trouble makers weren’t suspended for the entire season.

Now both teams have begun rollin, Cal Poly specifically right into Idaho State- it’s too bad they didn’t have NAU’s Kyron Poe to gift them a couple extra picks like SD and NC the week before and after the NAU and Cal Poly game.

On that note, luckily the EWU defense saw our third string quarterback lead a 4thquarter comeback-- may have actually done us a favor by giving Perry the opportunity- Would 3rd string Perry offset 1st string Adams??? Maybe not, the game was in Flagstaff so the win might not count anyway- i'll have to check the rules-

However the truly lucky one with his 100th career win as NAU head coach- Jerome Soures. For this feat, at mid field following another lucky win over UC Davis(okay this one would have pissed me off). He was given the game ball, and Cookies!!!! Just look at that happy guy! (https://www.facebook.com/NAUFootball#!/NAUFootball/photos/pb.161509523986666.-2207520000.1415971760./533517543452527/?type=1&theater)

MTfan4life
November 14th, 2014, 08:18 AM
Would 3rd string Perry offset 1st string Adams???

I keep seeing this in places. The answer is an explicit no. The difference between NAU's average to mediocre 1st string quarterbacks and their decent 3rd string quarterback is a LOT smaller than the difference between one of the best players in all of the FCS and EWU's backup.

JacksTown
November 14th, 2014, 08:55 AM
I keep seeing this in places. The answer is an explicit no. The difference between NAU's average to mediocre 1st string quarterbacks and their decent 3rd string quarterback is a LOT smaller than the difference between one of the best players in all of the FCS and EWU's backup.

Reflexes are too fast, nothing goes over your head. You'd reach up and you'd catch it. xrolleyesx

kalm
November 14th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Every team has their excuses and injuries. NAU is no different and I don't see much strong evidence to suggest they're as bad as some of you are making them out to be. Their early season losses are warts but they could finish the season on a 6 game winning streak with wins against two ranked opponents which is something missing from both Montana's and Montana State's resumes.

tomq04
November 14th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Every team has their excuses and injuries. NAU is no different and I don't see much strong evidence to suggest they're as bad as some of you are making them out to be. Their early season losses are warts but they could finish the season on a 6 game winning streak with wins against two ranked opponents which is something missing from both Montana's and Montana State's resumes.

BOOM!

But seriously, way to gloss over our loss :)

Catbooster
November 14th, 2014, 01:42 PM
If MSU wins out, conceivably we will have the two final games against ranked opponents - not sure that Idaho State will be ranked and possibly UM will lose their ranking...depends on the poll I think. That also ignores earlier games, but I'm not sure there's much help there - we had close losses to Cal-Poly and EWU - who have both been ranked but Cal-Poly is borderline on polls - and we beat Central Arkansas but they've dropped off the polls.

Regardless, I think we'll make the playoffs if we win out, miss the playoffs if ISU and UM beat us and be on the bubble if we split. If we split, I'll happily attend a playoff game in Bozeman if we make the playoff field, but I won't think we really earned it.

Red & Black
November 14th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Yep, lucky is the way things have gone for NAU this year.

Totally agree, thanks.

JacksTown
November 14th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Totally agree, thanks.

Any time 20036

dudeitsaid
November 14th, 2014, 04:46 PM

I don't think they are bad. I don't know that anyone is really saying they are bad. But Jalmond's conference ranking, the Massey Composite, AGS poll, and the GPI all have them as the 6th best team in the conference. They appear to be a good team, just not a great team. Depending on the draw, maybe they will win a playoff game. And if they make it into the playoffs, anything can happen. Every team has a shot, just by virtue of being there. I just don't see them winning against the top half of the playoff field most likely. Just my opinion, having watched them play a couple of times. And I'm not bitter about losing to them at all, so it's not that.

Here's a question. If they lose one of their next two games, and don't get the autobid, would they even make the field? I personally doubt it.

It could just be interesting if they win out, that the Big Sky could be represented by the top two teams...and the sixth best team in the conference (assuming we only get three in).

Walkon79
November 14th, 2014, 05:15 PM
Totally agree, thanks.

I like the new helmet BTW!

Red & Black
November 14th, 2014, 05:57 PM
I like the new helmet BTW!

Thanks, me too. They're a pretty cool addition to the red and black helmets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JacksTown
November 14th, 2014, 07:03 PM
Here's a question. If they lose one of their next two games, and don't get the autobid, would they even make the field? I personally doubt it.

It could just be interesting if they win out, that the Big Sky could be represented by the top two teams...and the sixth best team in the conference (assuming we only get three in).

Nada- NAU would not make the field if we loose one of the next two games… I imagine everyone feels strongly that this is the case.
..after last years showing, BSC fans are a bit touchy about getting the best teams into the tourney- not gonna be more than three. I do agree

Hopefully we handle ND tomorrow, and I don’t doubt the SUU rivalry will be a battle as well. Yet I don’t see the five above NAU on Almond’s rankings beating the lumberjacks more often than not.
Almost any team in the big sky has proven dangerous to any another this year- though perhaps none so dangerous as the fightin Northern Colorado Bears--Roar

Side note- I didn't mind NAU not getting the seed last year with a head to head over the Griz, and I thought Bauman's "pure desrespect" tweet was a little off. Was just happy to be there, and will be interesting if the same thing happens this year with the Gulls. No matter, might be two years in a row for the Colorado Plateau Lumberjacks xthumbsupx

dudeitsaid
November 15th, 2014, 12:06 AM
Nada- NAU would not make the field if we loose one of the next two games… I imagine everyone feels strongly that this is the case.
..after last years showing, BSC fans are a bit touchy about getting the best teams into the tourney- not gonna be more than three. I do agree

Hopefully we handle ND tomorrow, and I don’t doubt the SUU rivalry will be a battle as well. Yet I don’t see the five above NAU on Almond’s rankings beating the lumberjacks more often than not.
Almost any team in the big sky has proven dangerous to any another this year- though perhaps none so dangerous as the fightin Northern Colorado Bears--Roar

Side note- I didn't mind NAU not getting the seed last year with a head to head over the Griz, and I thought Bauman's "pure desrespect" tweet was a little off. Was just happy to be there, and will be interesting if the same thing happens this year with the Gulls. No matter, might be two years in a row for the Colorado Plateau Lumberjacks xthumbsupx

You have a great shot to get there, and like I said, if it happens, who knows. It's the second season! I'm not an avid conference homer, but I will still root for BSC teams to beat the others in the playoffs (unless they end up playing EWU).xthumbsupx

JacksTown
November 15th, 2014, 01:12 AM
It's gonna be a meAn few weeks dude!
I can't imagine what Idaho State fans are feeling- probably emotions of some sort. But Jacks are playin with a chip on shoulder still--- and-- ideally with a middle finger.

It will be close, like every other year in this special special conference

kalm
November 15th, 2014, 08:44 AM
I don't think they are bad. I don't know that anyone is really saying they are bad. But Jalmond's conference ranking, the Massey Composite, AGS poll, and the GPI all have them as the 6th best team in the conference. They appear to be a good team, just not a great team. Depending on the draw, maybe they will win a playoff game. And if they make it into the playoffs, anything can happen. Every team has a shot, just by virtue of being there. I just don't see them winning against the top half of the playoff field most likely. Just my opinion, having watched them play a couple of times. And I'm not bitter about losing to them at all, so it's not that.

It's gonna be tough. There are quite a few teams from the Valley, SLC, and CAA that can finish 8-4 with less quality wins but no bad losses. I'd still have them on the bubble but they'd need help.

MTfan4life
November 15th, 2014, 12:40 PM
North Dakota finally figuring out how to play without their quarterback. This could be a long one for NAU. UND up 14-0, just started the 2nd quarter.

kalm
November 15th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Nodaks already have 165 rushing half way through the 2nd quarter and are about to score again.

kalm
November 15th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Jer Garmann 12 for 122. Studsrud 2 for 2. Ha! In your face Citdog!

MTfan4life
November 15th, 2014, 02:32 PM
On a trick play that left the tight end wide open down field, NAU takes the lead 28-27 in the 4th.

MTfan4life
November 15th, 2014, 03:02 PM
UND driving, just kicked a 35 yard field goal with 4 seconds to play. 30-28

JacksTown
November 15th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Heartbreaker, good game to the no names! Didn't work out for us this time, tables turned on that last second comeback. Good luck today SUU, see ya next week for the Grand Canyon trophy!!

veinup
November 15th, 2014, 05:49 PM
big sky officials strike again.

sorry ISU.

MTfan4life
November 15th, 2014, 05:50 PM
Montana State beats Idaho State and Prukop didn't even play. It's seemingly impossible to win a big game on the road in the Big Sky this season.

kalm
November 15th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Montana State beats Idaho State and Prukop didn't even play. It's seemingly impossible to win a big game on the road in the Big Sky this season.

At least in conference.

bobcathpdevil56
November 15th, 2014, 06:26 PM
big sky officials strike again.

sorry ISU.

The official already had his hat thrown on the ground. The receiver had stepped out of bounds on the play. So no call needed to be made.

veinup
November 15th, 2014, 06:33 PM
ahhhh. thanks for the correction. im an ignoramus and didnt notice.

Red & Black
November 15th, 2014, 06:34 PM
Gotta go back and take a look, but it sure looked like PI to me.

bobcathpdevil56
November 15th, 2014, 06:37 PM

I can't believe I am saying this to a griz fan this week, but, you aren't an ignoramus, I had to watch it a couple times on replay to see why they didn't call anything.

Set up a great Brawl of the Wild next week

bobcathpdevil56
November 15th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Gotta go back and take a look, but it sure looked like PI to me.

Receiver had already stepped out of bounds. Isn't he no longer an eligible receiver, so there was no call to be made. The ref definitely had thrown his hat off before the ball got to the receiver

dudeitsaid
November 15th, 2014, 07:27 PM

That sucks, dude. NAU went from having the best chance of making the post season to little chance in one game. I've experienced the frustration before. You seem like a good fan. Sorry to see that happen!

On a side note, NAU getting the autobid was likely the best chance of the Big Sky getting four teams in. With them likely eliminated, and ISU being eliminated by MSU today, the only four viable teams are EWU, MSU, UM, and Cal Poly. If UM loses in the Brawl, they are out, IMO. If MSU loses in the Brawl, they are on the bubble. And if Cal Poly doesn't win out, who knows if they would make it. It's going to be an interesting last weekend of football.

dudeitsaid
November 15th, 2014, 07:32 PM
I never in the world thought I would find myself wanting to "DVR the Idaho State game!" But, dang, that was a heck of a game by both team. It was fun to watch, dramatic, and close.

I think they should've called PI on that last play, but who knows what would have happened with one more chance to throw the ball anyway.

In any case, that was a hell of a game, and something both teams should feel good about. MSU to play strong with their injuries was impressive. And ISU on the rise, that fan base should feel great about the team they fielded this year. Hope they can continue to be competitive next year.

dudeitsaid
November 15th, 2014, 07:33 PM

Me either, or the sportscasters. If that's the case, good no call.

bobcathpdevil56
November 15th, 2014, 07:39 PM
Me either, or the sportscasters. If that's the case, good no call.

I was amazed on the no call as well. I went back and watched it a couple of times and noticed the refs hat was off well before the ball was close to the receiver. I am not sure if the receiver becoming ineligible means that he is treated the same as a situation where the ball has been tipped. But, that seems to me to be the reason why there was no flag. It took me several viewings to see the hat off the official.

Any one know for sure on the ruling if a receiver becomes ineligible is it open season for no penalty for PI?

Red & Black
November 15th, 2014, 07:47 PM
That sucks, dude. NAU went from having the best chance of making the post season to little chance in one game. I've experienced the frustration before. You seem like a good fan. Sorry to see that happen!

On a side note, NAU getting the autobid was likely the best chance of the Big Sky getting four teams in. With them likely eliminated, and ISU being eliminated by MSU today, the only four viable teams are EWU, MSU, UM, and Cal Poly. If UM loses in the Brawl, they are out, IMO. If MSU loses in the Brawl, they are on the bubble. And if Cal Poly doesn't win out, who knows if they would make it. It's going to be an interesting last weekend of football.

Yup. Big Sky will get 3: EWU, Cal Poly, and the UM/MSU winner.

JALMOND
November 15th, 2014, 07:54 PM
Any one know for sure on the ruling if a receiver becomes ineligible is it open season for no penalty for PI?

My take is that if the receiver becomes ineligible, he is no longer a receiver and therefore cannot catch the pass. Therefore, I would say no PI.

bobcathpdevil56
November 15th, 2014, 08:21 PM
My take is that if the receiver becomes ineligible, he is no longer a receiver and therefore cannot catch the pass. Therefore, I would say no PI.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't want any of you AGSers to be worried about not seeing this. I had to explain the same thing to some of my family after the game.

Great job Bobcats. I forgot how huge Kramer was. Damn, he is a large/intimidating human being.