PDA

View Full Version : #19 James Madison @ #9 Richmond

jmufan999
November 12th, 2014, 02:41 PM
these matchups are nearly always close. JMU hasn't won in Richmond since their new stadium was built. The Dukes have found ways to win games late, trailing after the half or even 3 quarters several times this year. for some reason, we tend to start out slowly, with a couple of exceptions.

the battle that intrigues me most will be JMU's DE's (Sage Harold and Brandon Lee) against the Richmond OT's. is there a Spiders fan that can give some insight on your LT and RT?

another key is WR Daniel Brown who has played well of late, catching a TD in each of the last 3 games. he's a tall WR that has been catching a lot of jump balls. he's not going to outrun any DB's after the catch, though. Spiders fans question #2: who is the CB you expect to be matched up on him? he's the only WR we have with that type of body.

obviously the QB's will be key, Vad is playing well and Strauss is back for UR.

Deane Cheatham, JMU's swiss army knife (TE, H-back, FB) is out for the year which is a big blow. any significant UR injuries?

summary:
-JMU DE's vs. UR OT's
-Daniel Brown vs. Richmond DB's
-injury situation for UR?

Gordon Shumway
November 12th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Playing a good team on the road after they suffered an embarrassing road loss is never a good recipe for success. Especially so when they are getting their #1 QB back.

heath
November 12th, 2014, 06:07 PM
these matchups are nearly always close. JMU hasn't won in Richmond since their new stadium was built. The Dukes have found ways to win games late, trailing after the half or even 3 quarters several times this year. for some reason, we tend to start out slowly, with a couple of exceptions.

the battle that intrigues me most will be JMU's DE's (Sage Harold and Brandon Lee) against the Richmond OT's. is there a Spiders fan that can give some insight on your LT and RT?

another key is WR Daniel Brown who has played well of late, catching a TD in each of the last 3 games. he's a tall WR that has been catching a lot of jump balls. he's not going to outrun any DB's after the catch, though. Spiders fans question #2: who is the CB you expect to be matched up on him? he's the only WR we have with that type of body.

obviously the QB's will be key, Vad is playing well and Strauss is back for UR.

Deane Cheatham, JMU's swiss army knife (TE, H-back, FB) is out for the year which is a big blow. any significant UR injuries?

summary:
-JMU DE's vs. UR OT's
-Daniel Brown vs. Richmond DB's
-injury situation for UR?
The reason JMU hasn't won in the NEW stadium is because it just opened in 2010. Dukes get their 1st win. 24-23 on Saturday

jmufan999
November 13th, 2014, 07:45 AM
bump

MacThor
November 13th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Strauss is back! That's great news! We should win the game if (either) Rocco doesn't do anything stupid.

That being said, I'm picking JMU.

knucklehead
November 13th, 2014, 11:57 AM
With Strauss, I think Ur wins

JMU2004
November 13th, 2014, 12:31 PM
A hobbled and rusty Strauss? JMU can't stop the run, but plays good pass D and has 2 DE's that are tough to stop.

We'll see. I doubt Strauss plays much.

32counter
November 13th, 2014, 01:16 PM
"We'll see. I doubt Strauss plays much"

There's always hoping and praying.That might work too.The kid has swagger and his OLine won't let him get touched.He's planning on running too for some really easy yards along with UR's three(3)230 LB running backs-Fisher,Moon,Hamlin.Fun day in the Brickhouse.46F and some good hitting.Nice afternoon sipping whatever,watching Spiders on Senior Day with a packed house and a national audience on NBCSN.Good opportunity for all to see the UR campus which is one of the nicest.

jmufan999
November 13th, 2014, 01:49 PM
umm...... any of you UR fans planning to answer the 3 very simple questions from my original post? i even added a quick summary to make it insanely easy, in case you got distracted before the end of the post.

JMU2004
November 13th, 2014, 03:16 PM
"We'll see. I doubt Strauss plays much"

There's always hoping and praying.That might work too.The kid has swagger and his OLine won't let him get touched.He's planning on running too for some really easy yards along with UR's three(3)230 LB running backs-Fisher,Moon,Hamlin.Fun day in the Brickhouse.46F and some good hitting.Nice afternoon sipping whatever,watching Spiders on Senior Day with a packed house and a national audience on NBCSN.Good opportunity for all to see the UR campus which is one of the nicest.

Don't want any of the usual Spider excuses we heard during last year's beatdown. I'm glad he is playing.

That being said, the guy broke his ankle bad enough to damage ligaments and UR doctors ruled him done for the year. Now, 5 weeks later, the bone and ligaments have healed well enough to play D1 football? Color me skeptical.

32counter
November 13th, 2014, 04:09 PM
Color you purple,I think you meant.

JMU2004
November 13th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Color you purple,I think you meant.

I already said I want him to play. Rocco is the better runner, and we can't stop the run.

But hey, what do I know.

Stonewall D
November 13th, 2014, 04:22 PM
Very simply, the Strauss injury is the biggest issue. In the game against Rhode Island, he fractured part of his ankle and tore some ligaments. It was originally thought he would be out 4 weeks. Then it was announced he would be out for the season and that he would require surgery. He got a second opinion from a Doc in Miami and voila he is playing. Everyone seems to think his is playing. I doubt he will be mobile enough. IMHO, he should not play. The back-up is Michael Rocco, the coach's nephew. Rocco started for 1 1/2 seasons at UVA, but transferred to UR. He sat out for 2 seasons and has looked rusty. When he was at UVA, he also started in front of Strauss. Strauss has a quick release and UR has very good receivers. About the WR's, Stephen Barnette, one of the greats at UR, is out for the season. UR has 4 other receivers that are very good.

UR has a pretty good, but not great running game. Against lesser defenses, the RBs perform very well. From what you have told me, I expect UR to come out and try to establish the run and take the pressure off of Strauss.

Stonewall D
November 13th, 2014, 04:26 PM
Also, in the last game at Maine, Michael Rocco threw 4 INT's. One was a pick 6 and another gave Maine the ball with great field position. Rocco might not play very much. At QB/ RB, UR has a dual threat- true freshman- Porter Abell. Abell was a running QB in high school and has handled some of the load, in the absence of Strauss. I expect to see him run the ball some.

URMite
November 14th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Ok, I'm not sure if we are trying to be deceptive or not, however...

Strauss got his stress fracture near the end of the Albany game, while trying to make a tackle following his 2nd FCS interception of the year.

Abell is a Redshirt Freshman. He was QB in HS was suppose to be WR for us. With Strauss and Broadus(our usual wildcat QB) out Abell has been the wildcat QB. He is a more than capable rusher for 10 plays a game from WR, RB, or QB.

As to Tackles, the only OL with limited experience before this season is Vergos, a guard. Richter is LT and may be our best OL. He missed most of last year after an injury at NCSU, his father's alma mater. The RT Ruby is back to his natural position after having to flip flop sides a lot last season from injuries to others.

If we use a CB against a tall WR, it is likely to be AYO Ogunniyi. He is our tallest (but only 6') and I believe our best as well.

I'm not sure I'd call a game where you had 346 yds to our 487 (423 passing from Strauss) and a score of 38-31 with KO TD a "beatdown". Red Zone Domination maybe. Same problem we have had too often this year.

With Strauss, we were leading the nation in 3rd down conversion, but our points per yard has been miserable. We need to start finishing drives. And our special teams have been a disaster waiting to happen. As well as too many games with 4 or more TOs.

Our defense has improved the last month. Our offense moves incredibly well between the 20s, but Rocco takes way too many chances vs Strauss.

jmufan999
November 14th, 2014, 10:52 AM

Strauss got his stress fracture near the end of the Albany game, while trying to make a tackle following his 2nd FCS interception of the year.

Abell is a Redshirt Freshman. He was QB in HS was suppose to be WR for us. With Strauss and Broadus(our usual wildcat QB) out Abell has been the wildcat QB. He is a more than capable rusher for 10 plays a game from WR, RB, or QB.

As to Tackles, the only OL with limited experience before this season is Vergos, a guard. Richter is LT and may be our best OL. He missed most of last year after an injury at NCSU, his father's alma mater. The RT Ruby is back to his natural position after having to flip flop sides a lot last season from injuries to others.

If we use a CB against a tall WR, it is likely to be AYO Ogunniyi. He is our tallest (but only 6') and I believe our best as well.

I'm not sure I'd call a game where you had 346 yds to our 487 (423 passing from Strauss) and a score of 38-31 with KO TD a "beatdown". Red Zone Domination maybe. Same problem we have had too often this year.

With Strauss, we were leading the nation in 3rd down conversion, but our points per yard has been miserable. We need to start finishing drives. And our special teams have been a disaster waiting to happen. As well as too many games with 4 or more TOs.

Our defense has improved the last month. Our offense moves incredibly well between the 20s, but Rocco takes way too many chances vs Strauss.

good analysis, thanks.

MacThor
November 14th, 2014, 11:56 AM

And whaddya know, D. Rocco had been putting in his nephew for red zone offense. Multiple red zone fails doomed us in the UNH game. Don't forget M. Rocco turned the ball over 4 times against Villanova, too.

Also, Ogunniyi is terrible. He plays 12 yards off the receiver on 3rd and 5. If I was a CAA OC, I'd be throwing short quick release passes and bubble screens his way a lot.

URMite
November 14th, 2014, 12:50 PM
And whaddya know, D. Rocco had been putting in his nephew for red zone offense. Multiple red zone fails doomed us in the UNH game. Don't forget M. Rocco turned the ball over 4 times against Villanova, too.

Also, Ogunniyi is terrible. He plays 12 yards off the receiver on 3rd and 5. If I was a CAA OC, I'd be throwing short quick release passes and bubble screens his way a lot.

I agree about Rocco. However on your other point, I'm not sure if that is Ogunniyi or the DC. Unfortunately, he is not our only DB that gives way too much cushion at the beginning of each play.

jmufan999
November 14th, 2014, 12:54 PM

we do throw lots of bubble screens, but if he's covering Daniel Brown, you won't have to worry about that with him. Brown won't be used in that role. for that, we'll use Deandre Smith, Ravenel, Hyman (yuk it up), Coble, or even a RB that we flex out wide which is not abnormal at all. depends on if Ogunniyi will follow Brown anywhere the field or just stick to playing one specific side. we rotate a LOT of guys on offense due to the tempo, way more subbing than you've ever seen with a JMU offense.

kdinva
November 14th, 2014, 02:01 PM
.... He (CB) plays 12 yards off the receiver on 3rd and 5....

sounds familiar......

HailSzczur
November 15th, 2014, 02:29 PM
I know theres still 18 minutes to go, but what are the playoff implications here you think?

So I guess this is shaping up for JMU to slide into the playoffs? As long as they take care of Elon next week they're going to be 9-3 with good losses to UMD and Nova and wins over Richmond, Albany and W&M.

Richmond wise this puts them at 7-4, but I could see a 8-4 Richmond making it with wins over Nova, W&M, Liberty, and Albany.

smilo
November 15th, 2014, 02:32 PM
How many did Nova score vs. Delaware last year? 32? C'mon Strauss, pull together! Still winnable. CAA needs 5 bids.

kdinva
November 15th, 2014, 03:03 PM
55-20 Dukes, under 3 minutes to go........I thought JMU had a great chance, but not this.......UR has to beat W&M and hope......

SC State lost today, so the MEAC will be a one bid conf.

dwtime
November 15th, 2014, 03:28 PM
W&M and Richmond game is now an elimination game, loser is out

UNH Fanboi
November 15th, 2014, 04:33 PM
W&M and Richmond game is now an elimination game, loser is out

It's very possible neither team will make it.

mcveyrl
November 15th, 2014, 04:34 PM

Yep. Definitely an elimination game, not necessarily a "play in" game.

Mattymc727
November 15th, 2014, 05:00 PM
Man, Richmond has fallen off. UNH SOS keeps getting weaker and weaker...

Longhorn
November 15th, 2014, 05:07 PM

Possible, but I think the CAA will receive 4 bids; UNH, Nova, JMU and then the winner of the W&M/Richmond game.

UNH Fanboi
November 15th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Man, Richmond has fallen off. UNH SOS keeps getting weaker and weaker...

Yes, but outside of the MVFC, nobody's SOS is great.

dwtime
November 15th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Possible, but I think the CAA will receive 4 bids; UNH, Nova, JMU and then the winner of the W&M/Richmond game.

I agree.

citdog
November 15th, 2014, 10:06 PM
Wow! JMU has really picked it up. I guess having that front loaded schedule kind of kept them right st the the cusp of the top 25 served them well to close strong. The Dukes will be a tough out for somebody .

ngineer
November 15th, 2014, 11:17 PM
I know theres still 18 minutes to go, but what are the playoff implications here you think?

So I guess this is shaping up for JMU to slide into the playoffs? As long as they take care of Elon next week they're going to be 9-3 with good losses to UMD and Nova and wins over Richmond, Albany, W&M and Lehigh.

Richmond wise this puts them at 7-4, but I could see a 8-4 Richmond making it with wins over Nova, W&M, Liberty, and Albany.

Fixed it for ya! (;-) . LU missed three fgs in that game, to say nothing of a host of other pratfalls. Hope the Dukes do well...and we'll see ya next year down your place!

MacThor
November 18th, 2014, 04:34 AM
Danny Rocco has never made the playoffs. That is all.

JMU2004
November 18th, 2014, 09:11 AM
Fixed it for ya! (;-) . LU missed three fgs in that game, to say nothing of a host of other pratfalls. Hope the Dukes do well...and we'll see ya next year down your place!

The way the team is currently playing is night and day compared to the LU game. The majority of both the OL and interior DL starters from that game no longer start.

Lots of turnover as the new staff found out what worked and what didn't.

URMite
November 18th, 2014, 10:41 AM

I thought we missed the FGs not Liberty ;-)