PDA

View Full Version : Scheduling OOC games in the west just got tougher

hebmskebm
November 11th, 2014, 06:36 PM
The DII RMAC will go to an 11 game round-robin format in 2016, ending all OOC regular season play.

http://rmacsports.org/news/2014/11/11/FB_1111143259.aspx?elinkdata=153990

Notably RMAC school CSU-Pueblo beat Sam Houston St. earlier this season. The RMAC has been a staple of Big Sky OOC scheduling for awhile now; interesting to see if this results in more BS teams flying cross-country for FCS home and homes.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 11th, 2014, 06:48 PM
The DII RMAC will go to an 11 game round-robin format in 2016, ending all OOC regular season play.

http://rmacsports.org/news/2014/11/11/FB_1111143259.aspx?elinkdata=153990

Notably RMAC school CSU-Pueblo beat Sam Houston St. earlier this season. The RMAC has been a staple of Big Sky OOC scheduling for awhile now; interesting to see if this results in more BS teams flying cross-country for FCS home and homes.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=1029252&d=1406599062

thebootfitter
November 11th, 2014, 08:00 PM
interesting to see if this results in more BS teams flying cross-country for FCS home and homes.
BS teams... he he he...

:p

thebootfitter
November 11th, 2014, 08:01 PM
That is interesting, though.

Red & Black
November 11th, 2014, 08:17 PM
This should really only be an issue for most teams in a 12 game season where you're trying to get an additional home game. In an 11 game season, I think most teams should have an FBS game, a OOC FCS game, and a game against a team in your conference that's not part of your conference schedule. We play Oregon, UNI, and MSU next year (doesn't count for conference record).

I believe in 2016 we have a similar setup with Washington State, NDSU, and another BSC team.

melloware13
November 11th, 2014, 08:18 PM
Might make some of them desperate enough to meet UD's stereotypical home only deal xthumbsupx

unigriff
November 11th, 2014, 11:04 PM
This should really only be an issue for most teams in a 12 game season where you're trying to get an additional home game. In an 11 game season, I think most teams should have an FBS game, a OOC FCS game, and a game against a team in your conference that's not part of your conference schedule. We play Oregon, UNI, and MSU next year (doesn't count for conference record).

I believe in 2016 we have a similar setup with Washington State, NDSU, and another BSC team.

That's quite the non-con 2 years. Better hope you win 1-2 of those non confs and kick it in conference play.

bonarae
November 11th, 2014, 11:52 PM
OMG. Will the RMAC still be playoff-eligible unlike the NESCAC by 2016 if they play an all-conference setup? Their SOS will be all but non-existent.

FCS and Big Sky wise, the teams flying cross-country is the only viable option left. We need to see more Northeast region vs. Big Sky games...

MTfan4life
November 12th, 2014, 01:26 AM
Idaho State might finally actually schedule a FCS game against a team outside of the conference. Back before the conference expanded they would be able to play D1 teams like Cal Poly/Southern Utah//Cal State Northridge. The last time they played an FCS team who has never been in the Big Sky was Northern Iowa in 1992.

ccd494
November 12th, 2014, 08:53 AM
OMG. Will the RMAC still be playoff-eligible unlike the NESCAC by 2016 if they play an all-conference setup? Their SOS will be all but non-existent.

The NESCAC isn't playoff-ineligible. They could play an insular schedule and still send their champion to the D3 playoffs. They just choose to abstain.

RabidRabbit
November 12th, 2014, 09:04 AM
The former Great West teams have been good OOC match ups for SDSU, and would be nice to start getting home-n-homes with the other BSC clubs. I know it's old news, but Montana or Montana St will need to trek to Brookings first before SDSU @ MT schools occurs. The treatment of SDSU during their transitional period hasn't been lost at SDSU.

Maybe with a new stadium in 16, Jacks will get the opportunity to host.

Red & Black
November 12th, 2014, 11:08 AM
That's quite the non-con 2 years. Better hope you win 1-2 of those non confs and kick it in conference play.

No doubt. We'll have a very difficult schedule for the next 4 years with UNI in 2015 and 2017 and NDSU in 2016 and 2018, plus a Pac-12 and both Montana schools every year. I actually wouldn't want it any other way. Padding the schedule with cupcakes is nice in terms of playoff eligibility, but I question how much those games actually prepare your team for later on in the season.

I'm a big fan of the inter-conference OOC games with good FCS opponents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twentysix
November 12th, 2014, 11:10 AM
The former Great West teams have been good OOC match ups for SDSU, and would be nice to start getting home-n-homes with the other BSC clubs. I know it's old news, but Montana or Montana St will need to trek to Brookings first before SDSU @ MT schools occurs. The treatment of SDSU during their transitional period hasn't been lost at SDSU.

Maybe with a new stadium in 16, Jacks will get the opportunity to host.

That is a great policy. Otherwise Montana State will say screw you.

Red & Black
November 12th, 2014, 11:11 AM
FCS and Big Sky wise, the teams flying cross-country is the only viable option left. We need to see more Northeast region vs. Big Sky games...

Won't happen except on rare occasion. Southland and MVFC teams are much more financially viable options for Big Sky OOC games.

JMUNJ08
November 12th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Idaho State might finally actually schedule a FCS game against a team outside of the conference. Back before the conference expanded they would be able to play D1 teams like Cal Poly/Southern Utah//Cal State Northridge. The last time they played an FCS team who has never been in the Big Sky was Northern Iowa in 1992.

That is an insane stat. How can you keep the teams you play so close to the vest like an Ivy league team? Oh, never make the playoffs....

Sycamore62
November 12th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Won't happen except on rare occasion. Southland and MVFC teams are much more financially viable options for Big Sky OOC games.

any ideas on how much more it would cost to fly a team another 700 miles?

PAllen
November 12th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Are we really discussing how a D-II conference decision to play fewer OOC games makes it harder for D-I teams to schedule games? xsmhxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhx

FargoBison
November 12th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Are we really discussing how a D-II conference decision to play fewer OOC games makes it harder for D-I teams to schedule games? xsmhxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhx

Welcome to Big Sky country, where every non-conference FCS road game likely involves a charter flight. Big Sky schools would have to dip into the NAIA now for non-DI games.

PAllen
November 12th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Welcome to Big Sky country, where every non-conference FCS road game likely involves a charter flight. Big Sky schools would have to dip into the NAIA now for non-DI games.

If the Pioneer can do it for conference games... Certainly not ideal, but come one, enough with the sub D-I scheduling already.

kalm
November 12th, 2014, 02:52 PM
If the Pioneer can do it for conference games... Certainly not ideal, but come one, enough with the sub D-I scheduling already.

Geography is your friend. We're already spending a crap ton in travel with conference games. Eastern has 3 possible bus trips in conference and everything else is on a jet aeroplane. If it were easy to avoid sub-DI's everyone would do it.

PAllen
November 12th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Geography is your friend. We're already spending a crap ton in travel with conference games. Eastern has 3 possible bus trips in conference and everything else is on a jet aeroplane. If it were easy to avoid sub-DI's everyone would do it.

I hear ya. I just wish there was another way. Just as I hate it when Purdue schedules FCS teams, I hate when FCS teams schedule sub D-I opponents. It can't always be helped, and in some cases is a financial necessity, but I don't have to like it.

kalm
November 12th, 2014, 03:11 PM
I hear ya. I just wish there was another way. Just as I hate it when Purdue schedules FCS teams, I hate when FCS teams schedule sub D-I opponents. It can't always be helped, and in some cases is a financial necessity, but I don't have to like it.

Believe me, I'd much rather bring in a lower level FCS than a D2. Especially when we have the likes of Oregon, UNI, NDSU, Washington State, Washington, and Montana State schedule OOC the next 3 years.

dbackjon
November 12th, 2014, 03:14 PM

NAU doesn't have a lot of options for OOC home games other than RMAC teams.

dbackjon
November 12th, 2014, 03:18 PM
And RMAC is adding Dixie State for football only - say goodbye to another close DII for NAU and SUU

ursus arctos horribilis
November 12th, 2014, 03:52 PM

Wow, guess I've never paid attention that it has been that long. Sort of astonishing. They've been in a very weird situation for a very long time but I would have never guessed it was since Alfredo Anderson era...dude was a beast btw.

97Torero
November 12th, 2014, 06:45 PM
San Diego has been playing Western New Mexico out of the RMAC and has played Dixie State in the past. Possiblility may exist to replace the RMAC team with another big sky. San Diego has played Northern Colorado, Davis and others in the past. I'd like to see more of that for them.

superman7515
November 12th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Might make some of them desperate enough to meet UD's stereotypical home only deal xthumbsupx

Meh, we kinda/sorta owe a trip to Brookings. Technically not since both teams decided the end the series early (SDSU was supposed to come back to Newark one more time) due to the economy tanking, but I wouldn't mind finally making the trip. We know SDSU will show up in Newark, so I wouldn't mind going there "first" since it's really a return game. Hope they can make it happen.

mvemjsunpx
November 12th, 2014, 08:17 PM
This might make Big Sky schedules more interesting, but seriously? What the hell kind of conference plays no non-conference games!? I'm surprised there isn't an NCAA rule to prevent this sort of thing.

Thumper 76
November 12th, 2014, 08:23 PM
Meh, we kinda/sorta owe a trip to Brookings. Technically not since both teams decided the end the series early (SDSU was supposed to come back to Newark one more time) due to the economy tanking, but I wouldn't mind finally making the trip. We know SDSU will show up in Newark, so I wouldn't mind going there "first" since it's really a return game. Hope they can make it happen.

I'm all for it! Need to return the favor for the spanking we got!

FargoBison
November 12th, 2014, 08:52 PM
This might make Big Sky schedules more interesting, but seriously? What the hell kind of conference plays no non-conference games!? I'm surprised there isn't an NCAA rule to prevent this sort of thing.

The NSIC in DII also does this, with regionalization they have no motivation to schedule games outside of their region. This is why NDSU fans fight regionalization at all costs, we saw what it does first hand, it has made DII into a joke.

bonarae
November 12th, 2014, 09:34 PM
...it has made DII into a joke.

That's why D-II is called "the lost division" in the NCAA these days. Much of the attention the NCAA turns to nowadays is in D-I, all because of some of the greedy members in our division are fighting the organization in many ways. Meanwhile, D-II and D-III are often neglected by national media and the NCAA alike. xsmhx

Hammerhead
November 12th, 2014, 10:13 PM
That policy ended a 95-year-old rivalry between MSU-Moorhead and Concordia College. Their campuses are just a few blocks apart and their football game had all kinds of traditions like making Cobber freshmen wear beanies until they scored their first touchdown.

The NSIC in DII also does this, with regionalization they have no motivation to schedule games outside of their region. This is why NDSU fans fight regionalization at all costs, we saw what it does first hand, it has made DII into a joke.