PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Illinois @ Jacksonville State

PanthersBlue
November 10th, 2014, 10:34 AM
3pm Kickoff
Jacksonville, Alabama
TV: ESPN3

Huge OVC implications and possible national playoff implications at stake. xnodx

I'm looking forward to a great game

Thoughts?

RabidRabbit
November 10th, 2014, 11:34 AM
EIU win would be a bracket buster. It's likely that Jacksonville St is in win or lose, but could fall out of seeded with L. There are 4 conference auto-bids that could go a team who wouldn't get an at-large. This is one of the four.

Others are MEAC (SCSU has inside track, but wouldn't be an at-large)
Southland - Sam Houston St - That D-II blow-out loss should shelve the Bearcats, along with the move-up weak bottom of SLC. Southeastern LA - NO Egg laying!
Big Sky - NAU has the inside track, and nothing but Jalmond's 9 to 13 Big Fluffy marshmellows to prevent it. Hard to believe that EWU wouldn't be the auto-bid, but NAU has the head to head W over EWU. With their horrible losses to No. Colo and U. South Dakota, NAU wouldn't be in without the auto-bid.

JaxSinfonian
November 10th, 2014, 12:56 PM
This is the kind of game in which the Gamecocks would characteristically face-plant between 2005-2012. We're now two years past that era, and I'm beyond anxious to see what happens. Last year in Charleston was a slaughter, and that was just the first quarter, but a lot has changed since then.

Clearly EIU has improved since the early weeks of this season, and they match up fairly well against JSU, at least judging by OVC statistical rankings. But a win Saturday would be their first against any team with a winning record.

JSU's running game is looking great, as is its rush defense. If EKU couldn't get anywhere with Mobley, it's hard to imagine EIU doing better. Mobley also seems to have had a good day in the game against EIU; the Panthers will need to have improved a whole lot to do better against James, Jones, Pope and Jenkins.

JSU may have some key injuries on the OL, as well as one at CB. Hopefully those guys will have a good week and get healthy. Meanwhile, can the Gamecocks pull off consecutive wins in high-stakes games against high-caliber teams?

Admittedly, I don't know much about the post-Garoppolo, post-Babers Panthers, but Jax State seems to hold most of the cards here. What am I missing, EIU fans?

dgtw
November 10th, 2014, 08:06 PM
As an added bonus you'll see my wife at halftime with alumni band.

Yes, this is a game tailor made for a Crowe-up or Clark's Cardic Cocks to screw up. I think the team has progressed beyond that but that's why you play the games.

PantherRob82
November 10th, 2014, 08:20 PM
Eastern Illinois isn't on the same level.

Jacksonville State 31
Eastern Illinois 17

Sycamore62
November 10th, 2014, 08:28 PM
I'm going EIU 34 JSU 20

no reason except I love upsets and I'd like to see an EIU ISUb Thanksgiving weekend game

PanthersBlue
November 10th, 2014, 08:44 PM
This is the kind of game in which the Gamecocks would characteristically face-plant between 2005-2012. We're now two years past that era, and I'm beyond anxious to see what happens. Last year in Charleston was a slaughter, and that was just the first quarter, but a lot has changed since then.

Clearly EIU has improved since the early weeks of this season, and they match up fairly well against JSU, at least judging by OVC statistical rankings. But a win Saturday would be their first against any team with a winning record.

JSU's running game is looking great, as is its rush defense. If EKU couldn't get anywhere with Mobley, it's hard to imagine EIU doing better. Mobley also seems to have had a good day in the game against EIU; the Panthers will need to have improved a whole lot to do better against James, Jones, Pope and Jenkins.

JSU may have some key injuries on the OL, as well as one at CB. Hopefully those guys will have a good week and get healthy. Meanwhile, can the Gamecocks pull off consecutive wins in high-stakes games against high-caliber teams?

Admittedly, I don't know much about the post-Garoppolo, post-Babers Panthers, but Jax State seems to hold most of the cards here. What am I missing, EIU fans?

I would say that Jacksonville State does hold the cards here. They clearly look like a team that is ready to make a run in the playoffs. For the sack of EIU, I would say that this is the best defense the Panthers have had in the past three seasons. It's a defense that has been on a great streak of takeaways and cashing those in. The x-factor in my opinion for the Panthers is at the QB spot with Whitlow. When he was competing for the #1 spot I never thought he would be the passer that he has turned out to be.

Whitlow has come up with a lot of big plays this year with both his arm and legs which compliments the running game of Little and Duncan. Drake the number one target of Jimmy G in the past is still around and is having a great year, top in the country with receiving yards with 1153.

I think this game has a chance at being a classic. I'm looking forward to it.

Big_Fan
November 10th, 2014, 09:08 PM
The injuries are troublesome. JSU can still win this, but the loss of Hough in the secondary really concerns me...and we don't have depth on the OL.

JSU is top 10 in total offense, and if you were to take Michigan State out, we would rank #6 in total defense.

An interesting matchup in this one, is 3rd down. JSU is #2 in 3rd down conversion defense, while EIU is ranked 13 in 3rd down offense. JSU will probably have the best DL EIU has seen, but they have to pressure the QB, without giving up contain on him...and do it fast, given the injury situation in the secondary. We don't have a ball hawk back there to equal Hough if he is out.

EIU has a more physical run game than EKU. Nobody has totally shut them down, short of Minnesota. Our starting DL is probably as good or better than Minnesota's, but we don't have the depth of the Gophers. We will have to hold up over 4 quarters with a smaller rotation. I think we will force them to throw the ball... I just hope our line can disrupt their QB, and our secondary can cover. I think we can get to Whitlow. He can run, and a big play on a scramble won't surprise me, but he won't beat us running. He can beat us with his arm.

We haven't given up a TD in 13 quarters. It is a bit much to expect us to hold EIU out of the endzone. Their offense is more diverse than EKU's. EIU's defense has been very good against the run. We have to pass enough to keep them honest. I am leaning toward a 28-14 score, though 3 points either way wouldn't shock me. It could be a one score game. EIU can start fast... we can't let them jump on us. We have to click in all phases this week.

It is a scary game. EIU is much better than their record would suggest.

skinny_uncle
November 10th, 2014, 11:15 PM
3pm Kickoff
Jacksonville, Alabama
TV: ESPN3

Huge OVC implications and possible national playoff implications at stake. xnodx

I'm looking forward to a great game

Thoughts?

It is the only chance EIU has to get back to the playoffs. They have to win out to get there. Does desperation trump talent?

Big_Fan
November 10th, 2014, 11:22 PM
It is the only chance EIU has to get back to the playoffs. They have to win out to get there. Does desperation trump talent?

EIU mud holed us in Charleston last year. I am hoping that revenge trumps desperation... but the injury situation may trump revenge.

blackbeard
November 10th, 2014, 11:22 PM
Eastern Illinois isn't on the same level.

Jacksonville State 31
Eastern Illinois 17

This.

JSU wins big!

chattownmocs
November 11th, 2014, 12:39 AM
I still think jacksonville state is as good as anyone. They are capable of greatness on both sides of the ball. I don't think they are the most consistent team but if they play their game they should roll imo. Their qb trying people just to try them is where they can get in trouble. If he plays within the offense they have a great shot of winning it all.

dgtw
November 11th, 2014, 02:54 AM
Don't expect too big a crowd as it is being played opposite Bama-Mississippi State. That game is why God invented the DVR.

JSU should win, but last year's blowout concerns me. Looking forward to seeing it.

PanthersBlue
November 12th, 2014, 08:03 AM
A few people close to the EIU program seem to think that both Shepard Little (RB) and Kamu Gruiger-Hill (LB) are going to be a go for this weekends contest. Good news for the Panthers.

eiupantherfan94
November 12th, 2014, 10:31 PM
EIU's defense had a down week against Murray State in terms of yardage allowed, and if it wasn't for 3 forced turnovers the game could have easily been a repeat of the 50-49 OT shootout from 2012. However, what concerned me the most was the number of missed tackles. The defense seemed to be improving from that standpoint but they had a bit of a relapse. They can't afford give up easy yardage against a prolific Gamecock running attack.
As for the offense, Whitlow is a threat to run but lately has been impressing with his arm and has cut down on his turnovers, which hurt us early in the season. Our running backs seem to be finally comfortable in Greg Stevens's offense, which makes us perhaps one of the most balanced offenses in the OVC. However, the last good defense we faced was Tennessee State, and the offense was only able to put up 21 points, 14 of which were scored late in the game when the Tiger defense was basically worn out.
That's pretty much the summary of where EIU is at right now. Should be a close game, and it's a shame I can't make the trip because it's going to be freezing up here in Charleston :(

dgtw
November 13th, 2014, 01:57 AM
It is going to be cold down here Saturday as well.

eiupantherfan94
November 15th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Congratulations to the Jacksonville State Gamecocks on winning the OVC title. It seemed like it was a good game (I was at work so I could only follow it periodically on my phone) even after the INT returned for the touchdown. The Panthers needed to play a perfect game offensively and they didn't. Best of luck in the playoffs. Please represent the conference well in the playoffs. Same goes to EKU if they get the at-large bid they deserve to get.

Sycamore62
November 15th, 2014, 08:28 PM
The back to back ints had potential to be a 14pt swing

Big_Fan
November 15th, 2014, 08:38 PM
One of the things that worries me about the playoffs is that our coaches tend to go very conservative when we are leading a close game.

For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why we didn't run any plays outside in the second half. We had an obvious speed advantage on the edge with Pope, and EIU was loading the box. We quit throwing intermediate routes. We took a couple of deep shots, but the medium stuff was killing EIU in the first half.

What I think is interesting (unless I am mistaken), is that this was the first game this year where EIU lost the statistical battle. Even though EIU had 5 losses, they had out-gained every opponent. JSU held them to their lowest offensive output in terms of yardage all season, and gained the most yards against them of any opponent.

yeah... stats don't win games, but they help put you in a position to.

citdog
November 15th, 2014, 09:28 PM
up here in Charleston :([/QUOTE]

There is so much wrong with the above not sure where to begin.

Called this one! Even got the score correct.

Redbirdz
November 15th, 2014, 11:08 PM
Eastern Illinois may be the best 5-6 team in the country but Jax State is the OVC champion. Jacksonville's defense is superb, maybe best in the country.