PDA

View Full Version : Princeton - Rutgers Sesquicentennial game might be in the works

Go...gate
November 9th, 2014, 11:52 PM
Thought this would be of interest to everyone. The most historical FCS - FBS matchup of all.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2014/11/on_anniversary_of_first_college_football_game_rutg ers_and_princeton_coaches_talk_about_possibility_o .html (http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2014/11/on_anniversary_of_first_college_football_game_rutg ers_and_princeton_coaches_talk_about_possibility_o .html)

DFW HOYA
November 10th, 2014, 05:32 AM
As it should. And College Gameday should be there without question.

jimbo65
November 10th, 2014, 05:52 AM
I'm glad one of the schools is an Ivy, at least they will know what sesquicentenial means, I sure don't.

CHIP72
November 10th, 2014, 06:41 AM
I'm glad one of the schools is an Ivy, at least they will know what sesquicentenial means, I sure don't.

A hint - we've been celebrating (or condemning, depending on your point of view) the sesquicentennial of various Civil War events the last few years and will do so until April of 2015.

DFW HOYA
November 10th, 2014, 07:24 AM
A hint - we've been celebrating (or condemning, depending on your point of view) the sesquicentennial of various Civil War events the last few years and will do so until April of 2015.

Given how monumental the Civil War was, the lack of national awareness over the last four years is somewhat disappointing. Clearly, names like Chickamauga, Antietam, and Shiloh mean little when spinning up the outrages de jour at Fox and MSNBC.

But back to football...it would be a great opportunity for both schools and all college football.

Go Green
November 10th, 2014, 08:00 AM
Hope it gets scheduled the week before Princeton plays Dartmouth. :)

kdinva
November 10th, 2014, 08:03 AM
As it should. And College Gameday should be there without question.

I second this......although Herbstreit will boycott this because a 1-AA team is involved...

Lehigh Football Nation
November 10th, 2014, 09:27 AM
Maybe that **** about the Big 10 no longer scheduling FCS games will FINALLY be put to rest.

Ivytalk
November 10th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Cosmo Iacavazzi, seee if that old uniform still fits...

Twentysix
November 10th, 2014, 10:34 AM

It means 100 years since the last sesquatch sighting.

NY Crusader 2010
November 10th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Sounds to me like Princeton's coach is looking for excuses not to play this. "Hopefully there will be a way to celebrate it between the two schools, maybe in a different fashion, in honor of our proud traditions.'' -- in WHAT different fashion? Doesn't it make sense to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the first football game with perhaps a FOOTBALL GAME????

"I shared my concern that it doesn't make a lot of sense to play a team that has several more games under their belt than we have." -- Doesn't every non-conference team Princeton plays already have a couple extra games under their belt?

ngineer
November 10th, 2014, 01:47 PM
Sounds to me like Princeton's coach is looking for excuses not to play this. "Hopefully there will be a way to celebrate it between the two schools, maybe in a different fashion, in honor of our proud traditions.'' -- in WHAT different fashion? Doesn't it make sense to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the first football game with perhaps a FOOTBALL GAME????

"I shared my concern that it doesn't make a lot of sense to play a team that has several more games under their belt than we have." -- Doesn't every non-conference team Princeton plays already have a couple extra games under their belt?

What a pussy! Embrace the challenge.

Pard4Life
November 10th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Yes I was about to say ngineer, we may be Leopards, but the Tigers are the biggest p*ssies in all of FCS. With an OOC schedule of Davidson and San Diego, and complaining about your schedule in 2019, you really have to question why the Ivy even plays football. The problem is the Ivy League football mentality, not Princeton in and of itself.

Anyhow, Rutgers is a Big 10 team in name only...

Ivytalk
November 10th, 2014, 02:09 PM
What a pussy! Embrace the challenge.

Absolutely! And this is a chance for Surace to make up for the shame and horror of losing to San Diego.

PAllen
November 10th, 2014, 02:19 PM

So you're going to get blown out by a B1G school. BFD. Grow a pair and play the game.

Sader87
November 10th, 2014, 02:23 PM
Love to see this game happen....will be shocked if it actually comes to fruition.

Sycamore62
November 10th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Maybe that **** about the Big 10 no longer scheduling FCS games will FINALLY be put to rest.

I thought they already agreed to schedule losses instead???

Sycamore62
November 10th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Yes I was about to say ngineer, we may be Leopards, but the Tigers are the biggest p*ssies in all of FCS. With an OOC schedule of Davidson and San Diego, and complaining about your schedule in 2019, you really have to question why the Ivy even plays football. The problem is the Ivy League football mentality, not Princeton in and of itself.

I think they fit in great.

Used to be a big deal but now they dont really do anything good consistently.

Go Green
November 10th, 2014, 02:33 PM

Princeton has trouble against Big 10 teams in name only as well.

http://www.nytimes.com/1986/09/28/sports/college-football-princeton-stymied-by-northwestern.html

CHIP72
November 10th, 2014, 02:50 PM
I'm still irritated that Penn State joined the Flyover Country Conference 20+ years ago and doesn't play its old eastern independent rivals (and that those said eastern independent rivals are spread over many conferences throughout the land to the detriment of all of them, including Penn State), but it is what it is.

(I have to vent anytime eastern college football and the Big Ten are discussed. My apologies.)