PDA

View Full Version : Vad Lee - Case for CAA Player of the Year

JMU Newbill
November 9th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Most of us are willing to admit by now that Vad Lee is the real deal. We also know there is this guy John Robertson over at Villanova that is an incredible player as well.

In most people's eyes, Robertson was a lock to win CAA Player of the Year even as recently as a few weeks ago, and has been a Payton candidate all year. However, I truly believe that Vad Lee has made a very strong case over the last few weeks (and as a whole body of work) to be considered alongside, if not above, Mr. Robertson.

I know numbers don't say everything, but lets take a look at them side by side through 10 games:

CAA Rankings:
Rushing Yards/Game
Vad Lee - 6th place - 71.9 (#63 nationally)
John Robertson - 8th place - 69.3 (#76 nationally)

Passing Yards
Vad Lee - 1st place - 2633 (#6 nationally)
John Robertson - 2nd place - 2187 (#21 nationally)

Passing Yards/Game
Vad Lee - 1st place - 263.3 (#11 nationally)
John Robertson - 2nd place - 218.7 (#29 nationally)

Passing Touchdowns
John Robertson - 1st place - 29 (#2 nationally)
Vad Lee - 2nd place - 24 (#6 nationally)

Total Offense
Vad Lee - 1st place - 335.2 (#4 nationally)
John Robertson - 2nd place - 288.0 (#10 nationally)

Passing Efficiency
John Robertson - 1st place - 184.5 (#1 nationally)
Vad Lee - 3rd place - 136.5 (#36 nationally)

One other interesting stat that relates to both Lee and Robertson. JMU doesn't have anyone in the top 10 for receptions or receiving yards. To be #6 nationally in passing yards and not have anyone in the top 10 of your conference in receiving stats says Vad Lee does a superior job of spreading the wealth on offense. It tells me that he is doing a great job going through his progressions. To be fair, Villanova only has one receiver in the top 10, none other than the best name in all of college football, Poppy Livers.

While Robertson is having a fantastic season in terms of efficiency, I think you can make the argument that Lee is asked to do more for his team. Also, if Robertson happens to have a 2 int game in the last two weeks, I think you could see his commanding lead in the efficiency category diminish.

So, what does everyone think? Does Lee have a realistic shot at some post season awards?

JMUNJ08
November 9th, 2014, 11:14 AM
I think that it will still go to Robertson even if Lee has some/ most of the superior stats. Reason being is that Robertson's team was superior in the H2H and current rankings if things hold. Better teams will get more individual awards. However, if JMU wins out and gets to 9-3 with a W over Richmond, it could be awfully close since Nova was suppose to be good and JMU in a semi-rebuild with a new coach

HailSzczur
November 9th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Out of curiosity, have you guys had any blowout games where he's been sitting on the bench? Just because that's some context to look at with Robertson....

Not trying to pick a fight, just genuinely curious because I haven't been following Vad/JMU other than the week we played you and the week prior

Nova09
November 9th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Also out of curiosity, how many INT does Vlad have? Robertson only has 2 all year, so i wouldn't bank on that 2 INT game coming up

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 9th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Just my two cents, but I think that RJ Harris should be in this discussion too.

smallcollegefbfan
November 9th, 2014, 12:33 PM
Most of us are willing to admit by now that Vad Lee is the real deal. We also know there is this guy John Robertson over at Villanova that is an incredible player as well.

In most people's eyes, Robertson was a lock to win CAA Player of the Year even as recently as a few weeks ago, and has been a Payton candidate all year. However, I truly believe that Vad Lee has made a very strong case over the last few weeks (and as a whole body of work) to be considered alongside, if not above, Mr. Robertson.

I know numbers don't say everything, but lets take a look at them side by side through 10 games:

CAA Rankings:
Rushing Yards/Game
Vad Lee - 6th place - 71.9 (#63 nationally)
John Robertson - 8th place - 69.3 (#76 nationally)

Passing Yards
Vad Lee - 1st place - 2633 (#6 nationally)
John Robertson - 2nd place - 2187 (#21 nationally)

Passing Yards/Game
Vad Lee - 1st place - 263.3 (#11 nationally)
John Robertson - 2nd place - 218.7 (#29 nationally)

Passing Touchdowns
John Robertson - 1st place - 29 (#2 nationally)
Vad Lee - 2nd place - 24 (#6 nationally)

Total Offense
Vad Lee - 1st place - 335.2 (#4 nationally)
John Robertson - 2nd place - 288.0 (#10 nationally)

Passing Efficiency
John Robertson - 1st place - 184.5 (#1 nationally)
Vad Lee - 3rd place - 136.5 (#36 nationally)

One other interesting stat that relates to both Lee and Robertson. JMU doesn't have anyone in the top 10 for receptions or receiving yards. To be #6 nationally in passing yards and not have anyone in the top 10 of your conference in receiving stats says Vad Lee does a superior job of spreading the wealth on offense. It tells me that he is doing a great job going through his progressions. To be fair, Villanova only has one receiver in the top 10, none other than the best name in all of college football, Poppy Livers.

While Robertson is having a fantastic season in terms of efficiency, I think you can make the argument that Lee is asked to do more for his team. Also, if Robertson happens to have a 2 int game in the last two weeks, I think you could see his commanding lead in the efficiency category diminish.

So, what does everyone think? Does Lee have a realistic shot at some post season awards?

I would have Lee 3rd on my CAA POY ballot. I have Robertson and Harris ahead of him. He's having a strong year though. If he had only started a little stronger and beaten Delaware, they would be top 15 right now and he would have a strong case for the award.

I have had JMU in my top 20 all along and have them in the top 15 right now. I wish the other voters would have them higher. Withers is going to be a great job there. Hopefully you guys can keep him 2 or 3 more years. He's a good coach and even better man. Real class act when I met him on campus this year. You can tell he is real genuine and a guy who will recruit very well.

- - - Updated - - -

Just my two cents, but I think that RJ Harris should be in this discussion too.

I agree. If he has a monster game and Robertson falters down the stretch here, I would even put Harris as the POY.

KPSUL
November 9th, 2014, 12:44 PM
R.J. Harris is 1st in FCS nation for receiving yards per game, 2nd in total receiving yards with one less game than his closest competition. Like Robertson he has sat out the end of several games when UNH had a big lead. Coach McDonnell may be one of the quickest coaches to sit his key starters.
The season is not over, but you have to consider what a player's contribution means to the overall team accomplishment. Vad Lee has good numbers, but I would still pick Robertson or Harris over him. I've been to two JMU games this season and I just don't get the feeling that Vad Lee is really carrying JMU to the extent Robertson does Villanova. It looks like Everett Withers has him on tighter reins. Start your campaign for 2015, Lee may have the inside track.
Until the Richmond loss, I thought Robertson was a sure thing. But if UNH finishes undefeated in CAA play, I think Harris should get it. Something that looks more challenging after Delaware beat Albany, and Maine upset Richmond. I expect traditionally tough Delaware and Maine to have plenty of fight in them during UNH's last two games.

MR. CHICKEN
November 9th, 2014, 01:02 PM
20015.......ROBERTSON...HAD UH BAD LEFT HOOK......NOT VERAH ABLE...TA STIFF ARM....ON RUNS....DAT COOD ADD MO' YARDS.......HE MADE VAD...LOOK BAD....IN HEAD TA HEAD.......AN'.....HE HAS UH NORMAL NAME...:p........BRAWK!

sent from mah computer.....HAL

danefan
November 9th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Harris is the best player I've seen this year. We have Robertson next week.

WrenFGun
November 9th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Yeah, as a senior, IMO, Harris is the deserving player here. He is the UNH offense. He's gone over 100 yards receiving with our backup QB for most of the year, has at least 5 catches every game and has under 100 yards receiving ONCE (77 yards) in 9 games. He has 12 TD's and only ONE game without a TD this season. In his last three games, he has 29 catches for for 433 yards and 5 TD.

JMU Newbill
November 9th, 2014, 04:19 PM
Robertson's efficiency numbers are correlated obviously to his lack of interceptions. He only has 2 while Lee has 6, all be it only 1 over the last 5 games. And to the poster that said Robertson does more for Villanova than Lee does for JMU, I have to disagree with you there. In the SBU game, anyone watching the game could tell you it was Lee vs SBU. I'm sure you feel like that at times if you are a VU fan, but Lee has done way more than carry his part of the load. He's either already broken or will break every single season record for QBs that JMU has to offer.

Robertson and Lee are both awesome. I think you can make a legitimate case either way. Harris, I won't lie, I haven't paid attention. I'd love for someone else to show me some numbers and make a case, I'm not saying he shouldn't be in the conversation, but with JMU not playing UNH I just haven't paid that close attention.

MR. CHICKEN
November 9th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Robertson's efficiency numbers are correlated obviously to his lack of interceptions. He only has 2 while Lee has 6, all be it only 1 over the last 5 games. And to the poster that said Robertson does more for Villanova than Lee does for JMU, I have to disagree with you there. In the SBU game, anyone watching the game could tell you it was Lee vs SBU. I'm sure you feel like that at times if you are a VU fan, but Lee has done way more than carry his part of the load. He's either already broken or will break every single season record for QBs that JMU has to offer.

Robertson and Lee are both awesome. I think you can make a legitimate case either way. Harris, I won't lie, I haven't paid attention. I'd love for someone else to show me some numbers and make a case, I'm not saying he shouldn't be in the conversation, but with JMU not playing UNH I just haven't paid that close attention.

20017.....C'MON MAN.............xrolleyesx...AWK!

smilo
November 9th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Robertson has sat nearly 8 quarters of game time so of course his stats are going to be lower per game. And while he has Poppy Livers - the 3rd best receiver in the conference probably - he has had to spread it around a great deal with the Pettway and Underwood injuries - the next 2 best players on offense. Not to mention, he played the whole season with a fractured arm (not that that matters but it is even more impressive).

Vad Lee is an incredible player and almost single handedly put up a fight against Villanova, but there is a very significant gap between the two. Robertson is likely to win the Walter Peyton for a reason. He single handedly makes every play for Nova when a play needs to be made. You don't trust anyone else in key spots. The CAA struggles to come up with a reason not to give him OPOW honors.

KPSUL
November 9th, 2014, 05:30 PM

Vad Lee, John Robertson and UNH's Sean Goldrich are all Juniors, I wouldn't trade Robertson or Goldrich for Lee. Goldrich just returned after missing 5 games with an injury so a season award would not be in the cards.

JMU2004
November 9th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Lee was injured to start the year and wearing a bulky brace against UMD and Lehigh.

I don't think he'll get the award, but if JMU wins out, he'll be #2.

VUCats02
November 9th, 2014, 08:10 PM
As mentioned a couple times before, the bottom line is that Robertson has rested a ton this season due to nova blowing teams out.

HailSzczur
November 9th, 2014, 09:44 PM
.......ROBERTSON...HAD UH BAD LEFT HOOK......NOT VERAH ABLE...TA STIFF ARM....ON RUNS....DAT COOD ADD MO' YARDS.......HE MADE VAD...LOOK BAD....IN HEAD TA HEAD.......AN'.....HE HAS UH NORMAL NAME...:p........BRAWK!

sent from mah computer.....HAL

You could see it this week. Robertson was running a lot more confidently this week with the cast off. He wasn't quite as dynamic (still very very effective) during the 5 or 6 games with it, and honestly thats the reason his passing numbers look so good right now. if it wasn't for that, he might not be 1/2 in the Payton Race. I'm looking for him to pack it in and run more the rest of the season and beef up the rushing numbers to get him back over Lee, and separate him from VA.