PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week 12

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 9th, 2014, 09:04 AM
I was 2-1 yesterday. Chattanooga secured their first trip to the playoffs since 1984 after Samford's win vs. Western Carolina. Here is where I have after this week.

1) Chattanooga* - Wins second straight conference title and first autobid in 30 years
2) Samford - Keeps on winning against WCU
3) Western Carolina - two game losing streak shows they have a ways to go
4) Wofford - Lost all hope of getting a share of conference title
5) The Citadel - Repelled the Paladins
6) Mercer - Five wins this seasons is nothing to shake a stick at
7) VMI - Resting up for the last two games of the season
8) Furman - Hands down the SoCon's biggest bust of the season
ETSU - sent off their volleyball seniors in style with a win over Samford, one of them got a ring (and we're not talking a ring on the phone)
* clinched playoff bid

Predictions
Wofford @ Furman - Terriers take out frustrations on Paladins
Samford @ The Citadel (Game of the Week) - Road Dogs take to the Home Dogs
VMI @ Western Carolina (Beatdown of the Week) - Catamounts end two-game skid
Chattanooga @ Tennessee Tech - Mocs will be 2-0 against Tennessee teams whose mascots are not Volunteers
Warner @ Mercer (Beatdown of the Week) - Warner Brothers no match for Bears

Playoff Projection
Chattanooga has the autobid. SoCon will be a one-bid conference this year.

kdinva
November 9th, 2014, 09:08 AM
1) UTC
2) Samford
3) Wofford
4) WCU
5) The Citadel
t6) Mercer
t6) VMI
8) Furman

Wofford 42; Furman 21
Samford 38; The Citadel 28
WCU 35; VMI 23
UTC 34; Tenn. Tech 20
Mercer 40; Warner 20

catamount man
November 9th, 2014, 10:03 AM
1) UTC
2) Samford
3) WCU
4) Wofford
5) The Citadel
6) Mercer
7) VMI
8) Furman

Wofford over Furman
WCU over VMI
Samford over The Citadel (should be a good one though)
Chatty over TTU
Mercer over Warner

GO CATS!

The Cats
November 9th, 2014, 11:55 AM
1) Chattanooga
2) Samford
3) Western Carolina
4) Wofford
5) The Citadel
6) VMI
7) Mercer
8) Furman

Predictions
Wofford at Furman
Samford at The Citadel
VMI at Western Carolina
Chattanooga at Tenn Tech
Warner at Mercer

Samford at the Citadel

utcfan
November 9th, 2014, 03:47 PM
1) UTC
2) Samford
3) Wofford
4) WCU
5) The Citadel
6) Mercer
7) VMI
8) Furman

Wofford>Furman
Samford>The Citadel
WCU>VMI
UTC>TTU
Mercer>Warner

walliver
November 9th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Power Ratings:
1) Chattanooga - won it on the field
... gap here ...
2) Samford
3) Wofford
4) Western
...2-4 could easily be swapped ... on the field Samford beat Westerm beat Wofford beat Samford.
5) The Citadel
6) Mercer
7) Furman
8) VMI

9) ETSU

This week:
Wofford at Furman - FU's offense returned to life but their defense didn't. Closer than most expect, but Terriers pull of a 31-28 win
Samford at the Citadel - Sammy pulls out a 35-31 win
VMI at Western - Keydets put a scare I'm, but Cants pull away 42-31
Chatty at Tennessee Tech - potential trap game for Mocs, but Chatty pulls out a 31-20 win
Warner at Mercer - Bears win big, and hopefully put away the training diapers and only wear big boy pants from here on.

Playoffs - Chattanooga only

Hopefully the AD's at Samford, Western and Wofford get their acts together and schedule decent OOC opponents (it would also help for the teams not to lose to bad teams either:() The same for Mercer, although I can understand preserving the bitter Reinhardt rivalry.

chattanoogamocs
November 9th, 2014, 05:31 PM
Hopefully the AD's at Samford, Western and Wofford get their acts together and schedule decent OOC opponents (it would also help for the teams not to lose to bad teams either:() The same for Mercer, although I can understand preserving the bitter Reinhardt rivalry.

Hopefully this year was just a "one off" scheduling-wise because of so many holes in the schedule from ASU/GSU/Elon leaving.

catamount man
November 9th, 2014, 05:46 PM
Power Ratings:
1) Chattanooga - won it on the field
... gap here ...
2) Samford
3) Wofford
4) Western
...2-4 could easily be swapped ... on the field Samford beat Westerm beat Wofford beat Samford.
5) The Citadel
6) Mercer
7) Furman
8) VMI

9) ETSU

This week:
Wofford at Furman - FU's offense returned to life but their defense didn't. Closer than most expect, but Terriers pull of a 31-28 win
Samford at the Citadel - Sammy pulls out a 35-31 win
VMI at Western - Keydets put a scare I'm, but Cants pull away 42-31
Chatty at Tennessee Tech - potential trap game for Mocs, but Chatty pulls out a 31-20 win
Warner at Mercer - Bears win big, and hopefully put away the training diapers and only wear big boy pants from here on.

Playoffs - Chattanooga only

90% sure WCU won't schedule TWO d2 teams in a season again. PC is not that bad of a team. They beat GWU this week, they'll finish 6-5. Been a while since PC has had a winning record. GO CATS!

bonarae
November 9th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Wofford
Samford
Western Carolina
Chattanooga
Mercer (when will they play a full D-I schedule?)

utcfan
November 9th, 2014, 06:42 PM

With Big South, MEAC and OVC surrounding the SoCon it shouldn't be hard to pick up a FCS game, or 2.

2015 Mocs have v Austin Peay, @Presbyterian, v Jacksonville State, and @Florida State ($550,000).

longtimemocfan
November 9th, 2014, 07:41 PM
1) Chattanooga-Need to keep it going for good seed.
2) Samford - Playing better as of late.
3) Wofford - Impressed by their preparation against us especially on defense. Had to earn every yard.
4) Western Car.- Still a good turnaround, but need to finish against VMI before sure loss at Bama.
5) The Citadel- Survived shootout with Furman.
6) Mercer
7) VMI
8) Furman

Toby
November 9th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Power Ratings:

It is fairly easy for me to understand that a new football program (Mercer) would schedule other similar teams in their first two years, but what is hard to understand is why Wofford would schedule The University of Virginia College at Wise and North Greenville. What is even more bizarre is you trying to shovel out scheduling crap when you've got this on your schedule. Go clean out your own barn first.

BearDownMU
November 9th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Wofford
Samford
Western Carolina
Chattanooga
Mercer (when will they play a full D-I schedule?)

Next year. Pretty sure we had home and home responsibilities we needed to complete from our inaugural season this year.

It is my understanding that we have no non-D1 games next season.

ElCid
November 9th, 2014, 08:24 PM
1) UTC - Clearly on top
2) Samford - gets a little muddled for 2-4 but Samford is strong lately
3) Wofford - Schedule really hurt them overall
4) WCU - lost a little composure the last 2 weeks but still strong season to date
5) The Citadel - If we had a D we would be in business, but the Dogs can still bite
6) Mercer - one more test this year against Wofford, but not bad in the first SOCON season
7) VMI - Keydets gotta be loving Furman right now
8) Furman - I knew they still had some fight left in them

Wofford @ Furman - Wofford has some woes against the pass, so Furman can make a game of it and they need a win badly; looking for it to be closer than expected - 34-31
Bulldogs......Samford @ The Citadel - Samford either runs away quick or it will be a Bulldog fight. But this is a winnable game for The Citadel. If they don't get in a hole early, control the clock (32-34 min), hold onto the ball (no fumbling the open kickoff again!?), keep the untimely penalties down, play all 4 quarters, and for God sakes get a little defense going earlier in the game, (in other words have a fairly perfect game) The Citadel Bulldogs could bite Samford. The Citadel pass D is a receivers dream right now. Something has to change there if they are to have a chance against Samford. Samford D has done a pretty good job against the rush this year (and the pass) but besides Wofford they have not been challenged with a determined rushing attack. The Citadel has also played Samford tough in Charleston. But after the last OT victory we had, the Dogs crumpled the week after so I have to give the edge to Samford. All depends on how the coach prepares them emotionally. I will not even venture a score.
VMI @ WCU - Western has got to be hungry to get back to its newly found winning ways, but VMI might keep it close - 38-27
UTC @ Tenn Tech - Chatty could have a little let down now that it has won the SOCON, but anything less than a blowout would put the SOCON in an even worse light than it is, even if it is somewhat undeserved - 42-10
Warner @ Mercer - Bump the stats time for Mercer -55-0

chattownmocs
November 9th, 2014, 08:25 PM
It is fairly easy for me to understand that a new football program (Mercer) would schedule other similar teams in their first two years, but what is hard to understand is why Wofford would schedule The University of Virginia College at Wise and North Greenville. What is even more bizarre is you trying to shovel out scheduling crap when you've got this on your schedule. Go clean out your own barn first.

Why would Mercer schedule like that if they expected to win the conference?

Toby
November 9th, 2014, 08:41 PM
Why would Mercer schedule like that if they expected to win the conference?

So you are saying that since Samford scheduled Stillman (Massey Power Rating of 499) and Concordia (744) and Wofford scheduled UVA College at Wise (641) and North Greenville (360) and Western scheduled Brevard (518) and Catawba (337) that they did not expect to win the conference?

chattownmocs
November 9th, 2014, 08:59 PM
So you are saying that since Samford scheduled Stillman (Massey Power Rating of 499) and Concordia (744) and Wofford scheduled UVA College at Wise (641) and North Greenville (360) and Western scheduled Brevard (518) and Catawba (337) that they did not expect to win the conference?

They didn't schedule all cupcake non conference schedules. To answer your question, no. I doibt western expected to win the conference.

chattanoogamocs
November 9th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Mercer's schedule doesn't bother me too much because they were expecting year two of the Pioneer League, not year one of the SoCon (and scholarship football).

Mercer has a nice advantage on most SoCon schools right now in that everything is shiny and new (and well done)...and there are plenty of chances to make a name for yourself right out of the gate as a freshman.

Reign of Terrier
November 9th, 2014, 10:04 PM

Wofford originally only scheduled NGU and then Jacksonville pulled out of our game, so we had to reschedule another, weaker, Sub D1 win.

Point invalid.

MarkCCU
November 9th, 2014, 11:08 PM
Honestly, I don't know how to make a prediction in this conference, this year. The SoCon has become bizarro world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Cats
November 10th, 2014, 08:03 AM
Western scheduled Brevard (518) and Catawba (337) that they did not expect to win the conference?

I can absolutely tell you Western did not expect to win the conference.

Toby
November 10th, 2014, 08:19 AM
I can absolutely tell you Western did not expect to win the conference.

That's a shame. To play for a team that doesn't expect to win must be truly depressing.

SU DOG
November 10th, 2014, 08:35 AM
It's not always about expectations, and those that make these schedules aren't complete idiots. When a team drops off, what is the AD to do? He calls around to try and get a replacement that is similar. That is often NOT easy, so it becomes a matter of getting almost anyone he can to fill the date and provide the home game. Finances are to be considered, and the cupcake opponent is better than NO opponent at all. I don't know about Western, but this is what happened at both Wofford and Samford.

Catamount87
November 10th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Power Ratings:
1. Chattanooga - continue to show they are the clear SoCon #1
2. (3 way tie) Samford, WCU, Wofford - WCU's struggles the last two weeks pushes the three together
5. The Citadel
6. Mercer - close, oh so close all year to being #4
7. VMI - here only because Furman's unbelievable implosion
8. Furman - the sad, injury riddled slide continues

This week:
Wofford at Furman - which Furman offense shows up? If it's the one from the WCU/Samford/VMI games, this will be the blowout of the week.
Samford at the Citadel - Samford by a wider margin than expected
VMI at Western - the shootout of the week but the Cats have too many weapons for the Keydets
Mocs at TN Tech - Mocs have it altogether now but they best not be looking ahead to the playoffs
Warner at Mercer - Bears get back on the winning track after 3 straight losses

Toby
November 10th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Wofford originally only scheduled NGU and then Jacksonville pulled out of our game, so we had to reschedule another, weaker, Sub D1 win.

Point invalid.

I have no issue with Wofford's schedule. The point you miss is that if you live in a glass house, don't go around throwing stones.

catamount man
November 10th, 2014, 10:22 AM
That's a shame. To play for a team that doesn't expect to win must be truly depressing.

35-21 10/18/14 Deal with that all offseason.

chattanoogamocs
November 10th, 2014, 10:35 AM

Of course, it is easy to expect to win with the OOC schedule Mercer has played the last two years.

Though I would assume it is equally depressing to think you are going to win every time and only be 1-5 in the SoCon.

Here's hoping you guys never have to experience what it is like to have to go through a 1-11 season...trust me, it's a cure for arrogance.

Toby
November 10th, 2014, 11:04 AM
35-21 10/18/14 Deal with that all offseason.

Congrats on your win. You did something no one else in the SoCon has been able to do, that is beat Mercer by more than one score. If Western was my team, I'd expect to win every game I played. I think they have a really good team. I am confident that Mercer will work extremely hard in the offseason and will come back next year expecting to win the conference. If Western doesn't come back next year expecting to win the conference, well….that's a shame.

Toby
November 10th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Of course, it is easy to expect to win with the OOC schedule Mercer has played the last two years.

Though I would assume it is equally depressing to think you are going to win every time and only be 1-5 in the SoCon.

Here's hoping you guys never have to experience what it is like to have to go through a 1-11 season...trust me, it's a cure for arrogance.

So playing like you expect to win is arrogance? You guys are nuts.

PaladinFan
November 10th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Here's hoping Furman rallies the troops for a stand against the Terriers. Wofford has historically struggled in Paladin Stadium (two wins there all time, I think), Furman just saw an option offense, and Paladin offense showed some signs of life last weekend in Charleston. Unfortunately, our defense does not appear to have a lot of gas left in the tank, and if there is one thing Wofford can do to you, it is pound the ball between the tackles. I think the Terriers win, but here's hoping for an inspired effort.

citdog
November 10th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Here's hoping Furman rallies the troops for a stand against the Terriers. Wofford has historically struggled in Paladin Stadium (two wins there all time, I think), Furman just saw an option offense, and Paladin offense showed some signs of life last weekend in Charleston. Unfortunately, our defense does not appear to have a lot of gas left in the tank, and if there is one thing Wofford can do to you, it is pound the ball between the tackles. I think the Terriers win, but here's hoping for an inspired effort.

furman sucks

42-35

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2014, 11:45 AM
So playing like you expect to win is arrogance? You guys are nuts.

I don't think they're nuts Toby - I just think they never played ball...and if they did play, they were never part of a championship team...and if they did play and were part of a championship team, then they weren't really a contributor...and if they did play and were part of a championship team and were a contributor, then they've just forgotten how important it was (is) to take that mindset to the field each game - it's really more than a 'mindset,' it's a deep-seated conviction to one's very core that, regardless of the odds, their TEAM will prevail. Based on total, overall talent (includes ability, experience, and depth), this Mercer team would have lost every SoCon game they have played by the 3 or 4 scores (or more) that everyone (else) expected...except for 1 thing....they (Players and Coaches (fans don't matter in this 'equation')) have expected to win every game and, despite having lost 4 of those games, they gave no indication in the 5th loss that they expected to do anything else, but win the game. Obviously, as so many folks with an AGOTO are so adamant to cite, they didn't, and they may not in 2 weeks either, but I would be very surprised if they don't show up in SparkleCity and expect to do just that. I will be disappointed if they don't. As an observer, I EXPECT that's the way they will come into the 2015 SoCon season as well.

I'm wondering, after the thrashing that WCU's football players (and Coaches) have taken the past 2 weeks from Chatt & Sammy, if they expect to beat VMI this Saturday? I suspect some Cats fans have some thoughts on that question...

The Cats
November 10th, 2014, 11:48 AM

What is depressing is reading your drivel.

When I spoke, and said Western did not expect to win the conference championship, I spoke as a fan.

Given our record, a fan would not expect to go from a one win season to conference champions the next.

However, I was not speaking for the coaches or the players. If you listened to Coach Spear all season, he and the team did expect to win every game, and entered the games that way.

So don't be such jack assess when talking to other teams fans, and take things fans say... and apply them to that teams coaches and players.

I will say one last thing, Mercer has 1 conference win, over a team that also has one conference win, a team that Mercer lost a game to. That's all the wins either will get this season.

The Cats
November 10th, 2014, 12:03 PM
furman sucks

Not nearly as bad as the Citadel does.

chattanoogamocs
November 10th, 2014, 12:05 PM
I don't think they're nuts Toby - I just think they never played ball...and if they did play, they were never part of a championship team...and if they did play and were part of a championship team, then they weren't really a contributor...and if they did play and were part of a championship team and were a contributor, then they've just forgotten how important it was (is) to take that mindset to the field each game - it's really more than a 'mindset,' it's a deep-seated conviction to one's very core that, regardless of the odds, their TEAM will prevail. Based on total, overall talent (includes ability, experience, and depth), this Mercer team would have lost every SoCon game they have played by the 3 or 4 scores (or more) that everyone (else) expected...except for 1 thing....they (Players and Coaches (fans don't matter in this 'equation')) have expected to win every game and, despite having lost 4 of those games, they gave no indication in the 5th loss that they expected to do anything else, but win the game. Obviously, as so many folks with an AGOTO are so adamant to cite, they didn't, and they may not in 2 weeks either, but I would be very surprised if they don't show up in SparkleCity and expect to do just that. I will be disappointed if they don't. As an observer, I EXPECT that's the way they will come into the 2015 SoCon season as well.

I'm wondering, after the thrashing that WCU's football players (and Coaches) have taken the past 2 weeks from Chatt & Sammy, if they expect to beat VMI this Saturday? I suspect some Cats fans have some thoughts on that question...

I was a DI athlete at UTC, just not a football player. I get the mentality and mindset of always coming into a competition and a plan to be successful and being able to visual winning. But I also didn't get beat in the head with a helmet every weekend so I understand reality too. Players and coaches obviously have to have this mindset to ever be successful. But newsflash...this is a message board and I seriously doubt that Toady played a DI sport. Some of the Mercer fans on here are arrogant bordering on moronic/delusional.

Toby
November 10th, 2014, 12:07 PM
What is depressing is reading your drivel. And I don't play for the team, DO YOU?

If you don't want to read my drivel, I'll make a couple of suggestions:

1. Don't ask me questions. No, my playing days are over. Thanks for asking though.
2. Don't insult the Bears. The Bears have 3 non D-1 teams on their schedule this year. I think everyone knows why and understands why. If your team has 2 non D-1 teams on their schedule, I don't think you have any ground for throwing out insults over Mercer's schedule no matter what the reason is. UTC, Furman, Citadel have grounds to talk about other SoCon teams scheduling non D-1s if they think they need to, but what is the point?
3. Don't say stupid stuff like it is OK not to play to expect to win. If you think playing expecting to lose is going to be a successful strategy, then why play?

chattownmocs
November 10th, 2014, 12:11 PM
If anyone inside of Mercer's program, outside of the players, truly believed they would win a socon title this year, they will never win one. You are miles and miles away from a southern conference title. You won one game in the worst year in the history of the southern conference. You have some great players, very surprising talent. Its also surprising how untalented you are in certain areas. Mercer, gtfo.

chattanoogamocs
November 10th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Toady...I'll bite...when, where and what did you play in college?

For the record...

I ran Cross Country for 2 seasons at UTC before spending 3 years as a professional triathlete on the Nike developmental team (in the triathlon world, I was the equivalent of a double-A baseball player).

chattownmocs
November 10th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Toady...I'll bite...when, where and what did you play in college?

For the record...

I ran Cross Country for 2 seasons at UTC before spending 3 years as a professional triathlete on the Nike developmental team (in the triathlon world, I was the equivalent of a double-A baseball player).

I bet you'll win the ironman next year at 40 whatever you are. As long as you believe.

DP_ASU
November 10th, 2014, 12:27 PM
You won one game in the worst year in the history of the southern conference

The real reason why Chattanooga was able to win.

Toby
November 10th, 2014, 12:28 PM
When I spoke, and said Western did not expect to win the conference championship, I spoke as a fan.

Given our record, a fan would not expect to go from a one win season to conference champions the next.

However, I was not speaking for the coaches or the players. If you listened to Coach Spear all season, he and the team did expect to win every game, and entered the games that way.

Thank you for making my point and agreeing with my post!

chattownmocs
November 10th, 2014, 12:29 PM
The real reason why Chattanooga was able to win.

Not at all. Chattanooga is the best team to come out of the conference in years.

citdog
November 10th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Not nearly as bad as the Citadel does.

xlolx

Keep posting on that pride board......it suits you! At least WE can beat appy......

Toby
November 10th, 2014, 12:48 PM
If anyone inside of Mercer's program, outside of the players, truly believed they would win a socon title this year, they will never win one. You are miles and miles away from a southern conference title. You won one game in the worst year in the history of the southern conference. You have some great players, very surprising talent. Its also surprising how untalented you are in certain areas. Mercer, gtfo.

Since you started all this "drivel"….., as a fan, I said before the season that the best Mercer would finish was 3-4 in the SoCon and that to do so they would have to surprise some folks along the way. The team has actually exceeded my expectations in the quality and competitiveness of their play even if they finish at 1-6 or 2-5. And no, Mercer fans are not depressed at all but are quite encouraged about the future. I'm not sure how many miles or how long it is going to take, but I think we are closer to accomplishing that goal than I would have thought two years ago.

chattownmocs
November 10th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Since you started all this "drivel"….., as a fan, I said before the season that the best Mercer would finish was 3-4 in the SoCon and that to do so they would have to surprise some folks along the way. The team has actually exceeded my expectations in the quality and competitiveness of their play even if they finish at 1-6 or 2-5. And no, Mercer fans are not depressed at all but are quite encouraged about the future. I'm not sure how many miles or how long it is going to take, but we think we are closer to accomplishing that goal than I would have thought two years ago.

I know you guys have played competitively, but you do underdtand thst nothing other than a very bad team would be 1-5 in this conference right now? You might have believed you were gonna be good, you may have surpassed expectations, you may be good in the future. But this year, you are BAD.

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2014, 12:54 PM
But I also didn't get beat in the head with a helmet every weekend so I understand reality too. I did....Often without wearing my own, dangit! I don't know if the mindset is the same for XC as it is for football or not. As running from the couch to the refrigerator is long distance for me, I would never even think about attempting what XC athletes do or pretend that I have any clue whatsoever what it takes mentally or physically to prevail in that sport at the D1 level.

Some of the Mercer fans on here are...bordering on moronic/delusional. "Bordering"...just "Bordering"...now you've really insulted me! I'll try to make you re-think that. I'm kind of an ALL-In guy...

Just one more time to try to clarify - Personally, truth be told, I didn't expect Mercer to win ANY SoCon games this year and expected them to (possibly) only be semi-competitive vs. VMI & WCU (pre-season). But...I was really excited to hear from and see with my own eyes that the Players and Coaches honestly EXPECTED/EXPECT to win every SoCon game. Now, I EXPECT them to continue doing that - EXPECTING TO WIN. That is all. If that's arrogant - spell it out in CAPITAL LETTERS when you call me that, please, cuz I am ALL-In with a team that does that!

The Cats
November 10th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Thank you for making my point and agreeing with my post!

You must agree with the jack ass part as well.

chattownmocs
November 10th, 2014, 12:58 PM
I did....Often without wearing my own, dangit! I don't know if the mindset is the same for XC as it is for football or not. As running from the couch to the refrigerator is long distance for me, I would never even think about attempting what XC athletes do or pretend that I have any clue whatsoever what it takes mentally or physically to prevail in that sport at the D1 level.

"Bordering"...just "Bordering"...now you've really insulted me! I'll try to make you re-think that. I'm kind of an ALL-In guy...

Just one more time to try to clarify - Personally, truth be told, I didn't expect Mercer to win ANY SoCon games this year and expected them to (possibly) only be semi-competitive vs. VMI & WCU (pre-season). But...I was really excited to hear from and see with my own eyes that the Players and Coaches honestly EXPECTED/EXPECT to win every SoCon game. Now, I EXPECT them to continue doing that - EXPECTING TO WIN. That is all. If that's arrogant - spell it out in CAPITAL LETTERS when you call me that, please, cuz I am ALL-In with a team that does that!

I think you have competing hard. Or just false bravado, confused with the mentality of a championship team.

catamount man
November 10th, 2014, 01:01 PM

You and I haven't always seen eye to eye but props here. I think the sheer arrogance of the Mercer bunch is slowly uniting us in regards to the smack talk. GSU and App were hated but backed it up by kicking all our asses almost on a yearly basis. Mercer? please......

Toby
November 10th, 2014, 01:05 PM
I know you guys have played competitively, but you do underdtand thst nothing other than a very bad team would be 1-5 in this conference right now? You might have believed you were gonna be good, you may have surpassed expectations, you may be good in the future. But this year, you are BAD.

I actually thought UTC was really good this year, but you are starting to convince me that they are just a little better than BAD.

- - - Updated - - -

And the insults just continue…..

chattownmocs
November 10th, 2014, 01:16 PM
I actually thought UTC was really good this year, but you are starting to convince me that they are just a little better than BAD.

- - - Updated - - -

And the insults just continue…..

I spelt that out for you pretty easily already. Its probably what, 5 games, 250 yards and 30 ppg difference now in conference? Just continue to believe that you are at a championship level. I am the least regarded poster on the board because I crowned chattanooga years early when we were actually winning most of our games and losing multiple games that would have given us a championship had we won 1 or 2 of them. I mean outplaying people. Leading nationally ranked teams late. Outgaining them. Outplaying them and coming. Mercer. Huh. Please.

Smitty
November 10th, 2014, 01:26 PM
xlolx

Keep posting on that pride board......it suits you! At least WE can beat appy......

I guess after this season you have to hang on to something.

The Cats
November 10th, 2014, 01:35 PM
xlolx
At least WE can beat appy......

The past, the past, the past. How long ago was that?

At least WE can beat The Citadel. Like in this year.

PaladinFan
November 10th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Not at all. Chattanooga is the best team to come out of the conference in years.

That is certainly up for debate.

This is as down as the SoCon has been in decades. This UTC team is clearly the cream of the crop, but I'm not sure any team in this SoCon would be within three or four touchdowns of some of teams over the last 10 or 15 years.

chattownmocs
November 10th, 2014, 02:03 PM

This is as down as the SoCon has been in decades. This UTC team is clearly the cream of the crop, but I'm not sure any team in this SoCon would be within three or four touchdowns of some of teams over the last 10 or 15 years.

3 or 4 tds.....ok. stfu. Also I said RECENT years. Obviously I'm not even going back to the national championship App teams, let alone 10-15.

PaladinFan
November 10th, 2014, 02:06 PM
3 or 4 tds.....ok. stfu. Also I said RECENT years. Obviously I'm not even going back to the national championship App teams, let alone 10-15.

That is why I said it was up for debate. It depends on your definition of "recent."

As is evidenced by playoff records, outside of Georgia Southern's couple of runs, the conference is not nearly the national powerhouse it once was.

chattownmocs
November 10th, 2014, 02:10 PM
That is why I said it was up for debate. It depends on your definition of "recent."

As is evidenced by playoff records, outside of Georgia Southern's couple of runs, the conference is not nearly the national powerhouse it once was.

The 3 or 4 td portion isn't up for debate. Its just ****ing stupid.

Mocs123
November 10th, 2014, 02:36 PM
1.) Chattanooga
2.) Wofford
3.) Samford
4.) Western Carolina
5.) The Citadel
6.) Furman
7.) Mercer
8.) VMI

Wofford 28
Furman 13

Samford 38
Citadel 24

VMI 14
Western Carolina 31

Chattanooga 34
Tennessee Tech 10

Warner 6
Mercer 42

citdog
November 10th, 2014, 02:36 PM
You and I haven't always seen eye to eye but props here. I think the sheer arrogance of the Mercer bunch is slowly uniting us in regards to the smack talk. GSU and App were hated but backed it up by kicking all our asses almost on a yearly basis. Mercer? please......

What Mercer University has accomplished with their football program in only two years is ASTOUNDING. Those guys DESERVE to be proud of what they have created from NOTHING. Looking for BIG things from them in the future. GLAD they are here and will enjoy getting to beat Bobby Lamb again. It didn't seem like SoCon Football without him being a part of it in SOME capacity.

citdog
November 10th, 2014, 02:39 PM

The Citadel still has a chance to finish 6-6 and have victories over BOTH of our rivals. That, good sir, would be a successful season in my eyes. Dog fans are a realistic sort, me excluded, and I think that is probably the view of the vast majority down there.

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2014, 02:42 PM
You have some great players, very surprising talent.

I know they will appreciate hearing that from a Chatt fan. (Not being sarcastic, I promise. Nice of you to say and I'm sure they will appreciate it)

To continue the love-fest and repeat (hopefully, elaborate on) some things I've probably already said on here - I think Chatt is a complete team and should be able to represent themselves (1st, of course) and the SoCon (after themselves, of course) well in the Playoffs. Coach Huesman has done an outstanding job turning around a really, really bad, long-term bad situation there. JHuesman, Tull, and Lott are all extremely impressive players. RB's look great most of the time when they get the ball, but, if I do have a criticism, I think they could do more and take some of the pressure off of JHuesman. Right now, if he goes down or has a bad day, I'm not sure Chatt could survive that...don't know what their back-up QB's look like - saw 1 play in HS @ Lovejoy (I believe) and he was really 'raw.' I'm sure he's been coached up since then, but I don't know how much. WR's block, get open and catch the ball - not particularly flashy...but nothing wrong with that....blocking, getting open & catching the ball is more than enough. OL is fair to good - good athletes, play hard...just raw technique-wise...not 'bad technique,' just raw - young and new to OL will show that - fortunately the O is diverse enough that they don't have to MASH people every play and JHuesman doesn't usually put himself into 'bad places' when he gets a little pressure - that's a BIG asset for an offense. Rest of D (other than DL) is young and they make 'young mistakes' all day...but they play hard enough and are good enough athletes to overcome that...usually. I use to have a Coach that told me, "If you don't know what to do, be wrong going FULL SPEED" - that's what I see with Chatt's back 7, but I'm sure they are improving every game and think that improvement will be enough to carry them through a few rounds of the playoffs (at least). No problem with special teams - they are sound and solid. Finally, they seem to approach their 'work' in a very business-like manner - which is a good thing...that doesn't mean that they play 'without passion' at all. It means, they just play with that controlled passion that I've seen from Championship teams over the years.

Now, do I get free chips with my sandwich? xsmiley_wix

citdog
November 10th, 2014, 02:42 PM
The past, the past, the past. How long ago was that?

At least WE can beat The Citadel. Like in this year.

Since wcu beat their 'rival'??? That was WAY back in 2004.

It was a good win for y'all and well deserved.

Toby
November 10th, 2014, 02:45 PM

I think if you go back and reread the thread that this conversation was about scheduling. Scheduling is a function of the AD with input from the coaches. Last I checked the "fans" do not determine the schedule. Maybe they do at WCU. I can't say for certain.

Chattownmocs (who is self determined to be the least regarded poster) made a comment concerning scheduling and tried to tie scheduling to "playing with expectations to win". You inserted yourself into this scheduling thread by saying WCU did not have expectations to win. No one was discussing the fans' expectations. We were discussing scheduling and team expectations. You then take offense and say that your comments were related to a fan's expectation and that I took them out of context. And then you call me a jack ass. Hmmmm. Projection?

So no, I do not agree.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 10th, 2014, 03:01 PM

The SoCon is very much down, but I think UTC this year is better than you are making them out to be and not as good as chattown is making them out to be. They should've beaten one of the better MAC teams and went to OT with a top-5 Jacksonville State. I don't expect a deep playoff run but I wouldn't be surprised to see them knock off one of the lower of the 8 seeds.

catamount man
November 10th, 2014, 03:25 PM
What Mercer University has accomplished with their football program in only two years is ASTOUNDING. Those guys DESERVE to be proud of what they have created from NOTHING. Looking for BIG things from them in the future. GLAD they are here and will enjoy getting to beat Bobby Lamb again. It didn't seem like SoCon Football without him being a part of it in SOME capacity.

When you beat half of the NAIA and non-schollie schools and then run your mouth about how good you are and you only have 1 conference win to show for it then it's about as believable as a Citadel grad telling the West Point grad how to win a war. LOL!!! :D

citdog
November 10th, 2014, 03:29 PM
When you beat half of the NAIA and non-schollie schools and then run your mouth about how good you are and you only have 1 conference win to show for it then it's about as believable as a Citadel grad telling the West Point grad how to win a war. LOL!!! :D

Says the fella who is a SUPERFAN of the team with two Sub DI's on the schedule........ xlolx

Point Taken!

walliver
November 10th, 2014, 04:51 PM
The SoCon is very much down, but I think UTC this year is better than you are making them out to be and not as good as chattown is making them out to be. They should've beaten one of the better MAC teams and went to OT with a top-5 Jacksonville State. I don't expect a deep playoff run but I wouldn't be surprised to see them knock off one of the lower of the 8 seeds.

UTC has actually had decent teams for the last 4 years, but this is the first year that they put all the pieces together. Hopefully they won't get screwed by the committee and shipped off to North Dakota State.

It will be interesting to see what Daddy Huesman does after Jr graduates after next year. I can imagine he is already in the sights of a few SunBelch, MAC and CUSA teams.

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2014, 05:07 PM
It will be interesting to see what Daddy Huesman does after Jr graduates after next year. I can imagine he is already in the sights of a few SunBelch, MAC and CUSA teams.

Y'know, your post just made me think of something....JHuesman is a Redshirt Jr...which means he could be gradutatin' from UTC this Fall or this Spring...and he could do that transfer thing as a Grad Student (like the DLman from Gardner-Webb who went to West Virginia - http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/84459/qa-west-virginia-de-shaquille-riddick)...make a move with Dad and play his 5th year in FBS ball to enhance his chances at the next level.

Seems to be working out pretty well for Riddick...

- Shaq Riddick is No. 5 in the Big 12 and No. 41 nationally in sacks
- Shaq Riddick’s three sacks against Baylor were the most by a Mountaineer in a single game since Julian Miller had four against Pitt in 2011.
- Riddick has recorded a tackle for loss in four straight games.
- Walter Camp Football Foundation National Defensive Player of the Week for his performance against Baylor
- Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week

...just sayin'

longtimemocfan
November 10th, 2014, 05:52 PM

I agree with you. Don't think we'll make a deep playoff run, but very capable of winning a few games with the right match up. That's if we can remain healthy the last 2 games and don't get shipped out to NDSU the 2nd round of the playoffs.

CID1990
November 10th, 2014, 06:01 PM

One winning season in how long and WCU fans are suddenly the cocky ASU fans

we dont have to hang on to much of anything except that WCU is one of the few SoCon schools with a significant losing record against The Citadel- thats quite the distinction

congrats on the win

utcfan
November 10th, 2014, 06:34 PM
1. Don't ask me questions. No, my playing days are over. Thanks for asking though.
2. Don't insult the Bears. The Bears have 3 non D-1 teams on their schedule this year. I think everyone knows why and understands why. If your team has 2 non D-1 teams on their schedule, I don't think you have any ground for throwing out insults over Mercer's schedule no matter what the reason is. UTC, Furman, Citadel have grounds to talk about other SoCon teams scheduling non D-1s if they think they need to, but what is the point?
3. Don't say stupid stuff like it is OK not to play to expect to win. If you think playing expecting to lose is going to be a successful strategy, then why play?

2. Out of curiosity, who will Mercer (and other SoCon teams) be playing next year OOC?

Mocs have: v Austin Peay, @Presbyterian, v Jacksonville State, @Florida State

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2014, 07:10 PM
2. Out of curiosity, who will Mercer (and other SoCon teams) be playing next year OOC?

Mocs have: v Austin Peay, @Presbyterian, v Jacksonville State, @Florida State

Pretty sure Mercer has...

Rank

Team

Record

http://api.silverchalice.co/sports/logos/msst/school_logo_large.png Mississippi State
8-0

http://api.silverchalice.co/sports/logos/fsu/school_logo_large.png Florida State
8-0

http://api.silverchalice.co/sports/logos/aub/school_logo_large.png Auburn
7-1

http://www.reinhardteagles.com/images_web/headerLogoOverlay.png Reinhardt
6-3

:D

utcfan
November 10th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Well, 1-3, and $1,500,000 in the bank....I know you "expect" to win them all, but I just don't see it.

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Well, 1-3, and $1,500,000 in the bank....I know you "expect" to win them all, but I just don't see it.

'preciate you conceding that weak-a$$ Atlantic Coast Conference [clarified it - nice one though utcfan - that was some quick thinkin' right there. I like it!] game to the Bears.

[ADDED AFTER UTCFAN's initial reponse (sorry)]....and JEEZ....it's not ME that EXPECTS the Bears to win, it's them Bears...it's what they TELL me with conviction in their voices and their eyes...and what I see them playing like with my eyes (reading things like body language after bad plays, after falling behind, how they respond to adversity, the way they interact when 1 of them clearly gooF's up, etc.)....My days of EXPECTING to win are long, long gone...with only 4 or 5 golden trinkets to remind me. How in the world would I have any right or reason to EXPECT a team to win a game when I have no material affect on that game? I think that's where I'm not doing a very good job of 'splainin' myself...that, or we need some re-medical readin' classes here....got to be one or 'tother.

utcfan
November 10th, 2014, 07:26 PM
I think you mean AAC....a typo I suppose.

Expecting don't make it so...it's a step...but don't make it so....glad you have a passion for your team...

Also, who does Mercer play next year, honest question, not being a smart a$$ (yet anyway).

Smitty
November 10th, 2014, 07:40 PM
One winning season in how long and WCU fans are suddenly the cocky ASU fans

we dont have to hang on to much of anything except that WCU is one of the few SoCon schools with a significant losing record against The Citadel- thats quite the distinction

congrats on the win

Cit made a jab about actually beating app, and I jabbed back. I'm probably the least cocky person here, just finally happy for results on the field.

Now the past few years, I would just take the beating and sulk in the corner.

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2014, 07:47 PM
I think you mean AAC....a typo I suppose.

Expecting don't make it so...it's a step...but don't make it so....glad you have a passion for your team...

Also, who does Mercer play next year, honest question, not being a smart a$$ (yet anyway).

Arggh...I do have a passion for the Bears....but...whatever, I give up....Anyway...on to your question.

I believe the official schedule will be released in February or something like that....but I have been told in no uncertain terms that there will be no Sub D1 games on the schedule...unless a Wofford/Jax type situation occurs.

To speculate (ONLY!) - I think they will owe APSU a game in Peayburg or wherever the Gov's call home. Stetson is a natural rival for a lot of reasons beyond football and their football team seems to be getting better - have a few wins under their belt now - thinkin' they might come back to Macon next Fall. I don't know the status of ETSU, but if they are playin' and they are D1, I'm thinking Mercer will want to schedule another Former A-Sun 'rival' prolly in Macon since they are still working on the whole stadium thing...ETSU makes sense for some of the same reasons the Stetson series makes sense + SoCon...or maybe they ARE SoCon next year - I've heard both ways. Also - It's an 11 game season next year, right?....so I think that only leaves 1 opening if those 3 are the 'correct suspects'....As Reinhardt is in a transitional phase to the SEC next year, I don't think they count as D1, so it won't be them. I have been told no FBS until the GT game in 2016...so that eliminates all of the UL-X's....I don't know who the last one might be...maybe an HBCU...I would like that - love to see Grambling or Savannah State come to Macon. Maybe another UT-X or one of those TX FCS schools that seem to like to come east. I don't think the KSU Owls would be in the mix just yet and I don't think it makes sense for GaSou or GaSt or Mercer to play each other (yet). I don't think they'll be tryin' to schedule the Bizuns or Eastern Wash or the Griz just yet either...need to put some wins on the board in front of the home folks and build that local market more than they need SoS ratings. I hate this, but it would probably be a smarter long term decision for Mercer to have 2 or 3 winnable OOC games at home than to make the playoffs as an at-large bid in 2015......out, rambled (more than) enough today.

utcfan
November 10th, 2014, 08:05 PM
KSU and ETSU will likely play schedules similar to Mercer's this year. Not sure if ETSU has full SoCon schedule until 2016.

So, other than no nonD1 schedule is up in the air.

I don't know if it's being considered, but I would like UTC to develop a series with KSU, just to close to pass up and an easy 75 mile drive down I75.

KPSUL
November 10th, 2014, 08:11 PM

Well, a guess twenty-three months could be considered "years". The 2012 Wofford team went into the Fargo Dome and lost to NDSU 14-7, gaining more yardage than the Bison.

Ghost
November 10th, 2014, 09:08 PM
PSA: Remember every fan base has its crazies. I think we've seen at least 3 socon teams "town crazies" very prevalent in this thread.

KSU already has their schedule up here: http://www.ksuowls.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=133
-A little heftier on the DI schedule but still 3 sub DI's similar to Mercer.
-No Mercer on KSU's schedule next year.
-ETSU has not posted their 2015 schedule next year which is weird. but I would assume they will play a full socon slate with OOC's sprinkled in. and just not be eligible for the championship in their first year.
-Would love to see a Mercer vs. KSU rivalry but its not ever going to happen. It makes no sense from a football stand point. Too much risk on both sides for recruiting and not enough reward.
-It will be interesting to see Mercer's OOC next year. I would assume Stetson, Peay and possibly a sub DI. I would not expect to see Reinhardt any time in the future.
On the fan vs player front of expectations:
-you aren't worth being on the field as a player if you don't expect to win.
-As fans its hard not to be realistic about your teams chances. If your team sucked last year its difficult to think they will have a WCU turn around.
- On the other side of that coin it is very difficult for fans to go from 10-2 and high on life to 5-5 with close losses. excuses can be made but at the end of the day the only stat that counts is in the W/L column. Whether you are a former player or not.
- This is a message board. FOR fans BY Fans. Get used to over the top comments.

/Rant

MartletCat
November 10th, 2014, 09:43 PM
1)UTC
-)Samford \
-)WCU -----> toss-up between the 3
-)Wofford /
5)El Cid
6)Furman
7)VMI
8)Mercer
+)ETSU

More of my bad predictions:
Wofford vs Furman - Lil' Dogs survive a scare 28 - 24
Samford vs El Cid - Sammy in a closer than Western one 24 - 21
VMI vs WCU - Dammit Western needs this win 28 - 14
Chatty vs TTU - Mocs win 31 - 17
Warner vs Mercer - Macon Bears run house 38 - 7

I'm going to try and not get involved in the "friendly debates", but the next few years in The SoCon will be very interesting.

On another note: Western gets Alabama in a couple weeks, and next season it'll be Tennessee and Texas A&M.
I hate money games and hope everyone stays healthy.

chattownmocs
November 11th, 2014, 12:24 AM
Well, a guess twenty-three months could be considered "years". The 2012 Wofford team went into the Fargo Dome and lost to NDSU 14-7, gaining more yardage than the Bison.

Ok. I'm aware of the teams that have come out of the socon. Ill stick with my statement.

PaladinFan
November 11th, 2014, 06:36 AM
Furman, I think, has Virginia Tech, Coastal, Jacksonville State, and SCSU. No easy sledding.

NavyDog
November 11th, 2014, 10:33 AM
1) Chattanooga - Conference Champ….Congratulations!
2) Samford - Put down an up & comer in WCU.
3) Western Carolina - Reality Bites….but having a fine season overall.
4) The Citadel - Side stepped a strong performance by FU's offense led by a strong young QB.
5) Wofford - Conference title out of reach. Placed behind Citadel because Aaron Miller's knee still hasn't touched the ground.
6) Mercer - Good season overall with SOCON slate proving tough.
7) VMI - Bye after a big win last week over the furples.
8) Furman - Young QB is going to be a great one for years to come.

Predictions
Wofford @ Furman - FU faces a second straight week of cut blocks and WU is looking to bounce back. HC Ayers=Woffy in a close one 24-21.
Samford @ Citadel - El Cid has home field advantage, an offense that is finally clicking, and I am a shameless Citadel homer. El Cid 35 - SU 31
VMI @ WCU - Would love to see the Keydets pull this upset, but WCU's home field makes it a bridge too far. WCU 31-VMI 21.
UTC @ Tenn Tech - Don't know a thing about TT, so I'll go with the SOCON champs. UTC 28-Tenn Tech 24
Warner @ Mercer - Don't know who Warner is, but I'm guessing they're from a lower division & outmatched. Mercer 38-Warner 17

Mocs123
November 11th, 2014, 01:08 PM
Furman, I think, has Virginia Tech, Coastal, Jacksonville State, and SCSU. No easy sledding.

That is a tough schedule. Coastal and JSU are about as tough of FCS OCC games as you can get and SCSU is no slouch either.

PaladinFan
November 11th, 2014, 02:40 PM
That is a tough schedule. Coastal and JSU are about as tough of FCS OCC games as you can get and SCSU is no slouch either.

No doubt. Haven't seen JSU in a few years.

Furman has pretty well played step for step with Coastal for a while. Last year in Conway they won by a score. Last two visits to Greenville have gone to OT. I like our chances against SCSU as well. That game this year was 10-7 in Orangeburg until late in the fourth quarter.

I do get a little jealous of these teams that at least schedule one guaranteed W each season. Furman has pretty well shied away from that for whatever reason.

walliver
November 11th, 2014, 03:03 PM
ETSU doesn't play SoCon football until 2016. I doubt they play any SoCon teams next year if they have a choice.

As for OOC in 2015, Wofford has announced games against Idaho and Clemson. One game is more winnable than the other. I expect to see GWU (although it is not confirmed). Hopefully, we fill the last spot with a D-1.

Sandlapper Spike
November 11th, 2014, 04:23 PM
The Citadel non-league slate in 2015: at South Carolina, at Georgia Southern, Charleston Southern, Davidson

walliver
November 11th, 2014, 06:54 PM
The Citadel non-league slate in 2015: at South Carolina, at Georgia Southern, Charleston Southern, Davidson

Davidson couldn't keep within 7 touchdowns of Reinhardt or any decent D2 team - but it counts as a D1 win.

Sandlapper Spike
November 11th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Correct, which is why it's not a bad game to schedule (especially with no return game necessary). Besides, it's not like The Citadel has to apologize for its non-league slate otherwise.

Also, Davidson is something of a "traditional" opponent, admittedly from an era that has long passed.

Toby
November 11th, 2014, 08:01 PM
From Massey FCS Composite
10 UTC
33 Samford
46 Wofford
47 WCU
55 Citadel
71 Mercer
89 Furman
98 VMI

utcfan
November 11th, 2014, 08:43 PM
From Massey FCS Composite
10 UTC
33 Samford
46 Wofford
47 WCU
55 Citadel
71 Mercer
89 Furman
98 VMI

Looks good to me.

SU DOG
November 11th, 2014, 09:44 PM
Looks good to me.

I'll go with that also.
Winners this week:
Wofford, Samford, Western, UTC, Mercer.

tenNesseeCat
November 12th, 2014, 09:00 AM
1 - UTC - Congrats on being champs and the playoffs!
2 - Samford - Good win last week. playing more like everyone thought they would.
3 - WCU - Needs a win this week, BAD!
4 - Wofford - Getting better as the season goes along.
5 - The Citadel - Furman Sucks
6 - Furman - Probably thinks The Citadel Sucks
7 - Mercer - Because they beat VMI
8 - VMI - Because they lost to Mercer

Picks:
Wofford - Just a better team than Furman.
Samford - They are peaking late.
WCU - It won't be by a margin we like, but it's a W!
UTC - Please win out and make some noise in the playoffs!
Mercer - It's another W at least.

catamount man
November 12th, 2014, 09:50 AM
1 - UTC - Congrats on being champs and the playoffs!
2 - Samford - Good win last week. playing more like everyone thought they would.
3 - WCU - Needs a win this week, BAD!
4 - Wofford - Getting better as the season goes along.
5 - The Citadel - Furman Sucks
6 - Furman - Probably thinks The Citadel Sucks
7 - Mercer - Because they beat VMI
8 - VMI - Because they lost to Mercer

Picks:
Wofford - Just a better team than Furman.
Samford - They are peaking late.
WCU - It won't be by a margin we like, but it's a W!
UTC - Please win out and make some noise in the playoffs!
Mercer - It's another W at least.

I'll take a 3-0 win if I have to. HA! GO CATS!

tenNesseeCat
November 13th, 2014, 07:28 AM
I'll take a 3-0 win if I have to. HA! GO CATS!

I agree!

CID1990
November 13th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Davidson couldn't keep within 7 touchdowns of Reinhardt or any decent D2 team - but it counts as a D1 win.

True...

.... and given that they got to play the SoCon sports they wanted to without having to finance a SoCon football team for all those years...

they will deserve every bit of the absolute curb stomping we are going to give them

kdinva
November 13th, 2014, 10:40 AM
True...
.....they will deserve every bit of the absolute curb stomping we are going to give them

Do you think their hoops team will finish in the top-7 of the A-10? I don't.

Sandlapper Spike
November 13th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Do you think their hoops team will finish in the top-7 of the A-10? I don't.

I will be surprised if it does. This may have been the wrong year for Davidson to debut in that conference.

FUBeAR
November 13th, 2014, 08:24 PM
So, I've been struggling to come up with my Power Rankings this week with so much data coming in from so many sources, but then the wise-one, Chattown, posted something in another thread that made it all clear and simple for me. He posted the average score difference between the Mocs and their SoCon opponents, so far, this year - "26.4". I think his math was a little off (surprised?) and the actual average difference is 26.33. Or maybe, he's prescient and is projecting the upcoming Chatt/FU score into his average...but I digress...Anyway, I thought I'd break that simple number down, put it on a chart, and see what it looks like...well, lo and behold, it looks exactly like my Power Rankings...

Opponent
Chatt. Pts
Opp. Pts
How much better is Chatt.
This much, %-wise
So, I must rank them...

Chatt. (they haven't beaten themselves in a while - so n/a's here)
n/a
n/a
n/a
0%

Mercer
23%

Sammy
58%

Woffy
138%

ElCid
143%

VMI
686%

WCU
#DIV/0!

FU (not fair to them, but I had to stick 'em somewhere and Chattown's post provided no guidance...maybe Citdog can help)
n/a
n/a
n/a
#VALUE

So for my picks....I'll stay with the wisdom of Chattown...(I was 3-0 last week on my own...don't let me down, Chattown!)

Sammy over ElCid - ElCid starts fast early (in a lot of ways...xeyebrowx), but Sammy wakes up and goes over the top of the stacked up luggage 49-28
Woffy over FU - 'Dins continue to find their Offense from their MASH unit, but Woffy prevails 28-21 (hope I'm, I mean, Chattown, is wrong)
VMI over WCU - Sorry Cindy...3rd strike of midnight in a row for the Cats. Keydets match up well enough on D and they keep the heat off VMI's QB - 31-21

Reinhardt over Campbellsville - #22 ranked Eagles roll over #19 SoupStirrers 63-56.

catamount man
November 14th, 2014, 06:41 AM
So, I've been struggling to come up with my Power Rankings this week with so much data coming in from so many sources, but then the wise-one, Chattown, posted something in another thread that made it all clear and simple for me. He posted the average score difference between the Mocs and their SoCon opponents, so far, this year - "26.4". I think his math was a little off (surprised?) and the actual average difference is 26.33. Or maybe, he's prescient and is projecting the upcoming Chatt/FU score into his average...but I digress...Anyway, I thought I'd break that simple number down, put it on a chart, and see what it looks like...well, lo and behold, it looks exactly like my Power Rankings...

Opponent
Chatt. Pts
Opp. Pts
This much, %-wise
So, I must rank them...

n/a
n/a
n/a
0%

Mercer
23%

Sammy
58%

Woffy
138%

ElCid
143%

VMI
686%

WCU
#DIV/0!

FU (not fair to them, but I had to stick 'em somewhere and Chattown's post provided no guidance...maybe Citdog can help)
n/a
n/a
n/a
#VALUE

So for my picks....I'll stay with the wisdom of Chattown...(I was 3-0 last week on my own...don't let me down, Chattown!)

Sammy over ElCid - ElCid starts fast early (in a lot of ways...xeyebrowx), but Sammy wakes up and goes over the top of the stacked up luggage 49-28
Woffy over FU - 'Dins continue to find their Offense from their MASH unit, but Woffy prevails 28-21 (hope I'm, I mean, Chattown, is wrong)
VMI over WCU - Sorry Cindy...3rd strike of midnight in a row for the Cats. Keydets match up well enough on D and they keep the heat off VMI's QB - 31-21

Reinhardt over Campbellsville - #22 ranked Eagles roll over #19 SoupStirrers 63-56.

Sure........Let me go on record to say that Mercer/Mercer fans have successfully replaced the App fans that use to post here that always enjoyed getting a dig at WCU and are now on the ANNOYING list. Only difference is that App backed it up on the field. Mercer has yet to do so. Kinda like SC when they first joined the SEC and their fans would go "we're in the SEC" all while not bringing anything to the table. 1 conference win Mercer. Enjoy it.

35-21 GO CATS!

tenNesseeCat
November 14th, 2014, 07:26 AM

Opponent
Chatt. Pts
Opp. Pts
This much, %-wise
So, I must rank them...

n/a
n/a
n/a
0%

Mercer
23%

Sammy
58%

Woffy
138%

ElCid
143%

VMI
686%

WCU
#DIV/0!

n/a
n/a
n/a
#VALUE

Hahahahahahhahahaha!!! Ever since WCU lit up the blackout down in Macon, you've had some issues. I thought the loss messed you up. Now i think someone from the Catamount tailgate must have sold you a case of shine. It's good, but don't let it take you over! hahaha

catamount man
November 14th, 2014, 07:44 AM
Hahahahahahhahahaha!!! Ever since WCU lit up the blackout down in Macon, you've had some issues. I thought the loss messed you up. Now i think someone from the Catamount tailgate must have sold you a case of shine. It's good, but don't let it take you over! hahaha

Mercer has ran their mouth all off season. I even glanced over at Furman's message board before those two played and the Paladin folks were getting more than a little riled and not to mention at that game the preacher giving the invocation compared Furman to Goliath and Bobby Lamb to King David.xrolleyesx

Mercer: NAIA national champions, nothing more. GO CATS!

OL FU
November 14th, 2014, 07:47 AM
Mercer has ran their mouth all off season. I even glanced over at Furman's message board before those two played and the Paladin folks were getting more than a little riled and not to mention at that game the preacher giving the invocation compared Furman to Goliath and Bobby Lamb to King David.xrolleyesx

Mercer: NAIA national champions, nothing more. GO CATS!

I heard the invocation. Nothing wrong with it in my opinion. In fact I thought it was kinda funny.

Been late to all the parties this week. Wish I could say it is simply because the Paladins are sucking but I have been busy with family and work.

So who is playing:)

Winner - Woffordxdrunkyx

Catamount87
November 14th, 2014, 07:58 AM

That must have been some awfully bad 'shine at that!

BearDownMU
November 14th, 2014, 08:15 AM
It makes sense that you would take a spreadsheet with empirical data on it, and turn that into Mercer being "annoying". As well as continue to bring up a score from a game from weeks ago.

Here's an idea madhatter, if you don't want your team to end up last in a point differential list, don't get beat by half a hundred. That's not because of some annoying Mercer fan.

FUBeAR
November 14th, 2014, 08:22 AM

Opponent
Chatt. Pts
Opp. Pts
This much, %-wise
So, I must rank them...

n/a
n/a
n/a
0%

Mercer
23%

Sammy
58%

Woffy
138%

ElCid
143%

FU
?
?
>143%<686%

VMI
686%

WCU
#DIV/0!

All of the love from the CatsFans, comparing Mercer to a 3-time FCS Nat'l Champ and an SEC Team & such, has inspired me to accept that Chattown WAS being prescient and has foreseen that Chatt will beat the 'Dins next week by 27 points, which was how he derived the 26.4 he cited as the average points difference. So, I have re-calculated my Power Rankings (ABOVE - Changes BOLDED) to accept his inevitable wisdom. My picks remain the same.

FUBeAR
November 14th, 2014, 08:57 AM

LOL - Oh, my 'issues' with WCU go back a little longer than 4 weeks. They go back over 34 years...to 9/20/80, to be exact and include an interesting event on 10/27/84, BUT I have let neither the recent outcome nor the past transgressions affect my judgement this week. I have relied not on my own understanding. I have simply accepted the wisdom & prescience of Chattown and the incontrovertibility of mathematics.

The Cats
November 14th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Mercer has ran their mouth all off season.

Don't let these guys get under your skin. They have to continue to talk trash, as the only SoCon team they beat this season was VMI. If they played VMI today - they lose - and they know it. xnodx

Also, they can say anything they like about WCU.... The one thing they can't say is that Mercer has beaten Western Carolina on THEIR home field or any other field for that matter.

xcoffeex

FUBeAR
November 14th, 2014, 09:21 AM
I even glanced over at Furman's message board before those two played and the Paladin folks were getting more than a little riled and not to mention at that game the preacher giving the invocation compared Furman to Goliath and Bobby Lamb to King David.xrolleyesx

Since you DID mention it, why rely on hearsay & conjecture? Here is the transcript of that invocation...

”O Heavenly God, thou knowest all things. Last year thou knewest that after 72 years of hibernating, the Bear Nation was ready for some football. But who could have known that in our very 1st season, Mercer Football would capture the #1 spot on ESPN's Play of the Day. And who would have guessed that we would finish our rookie year 10 and 2. And who would have dared to dream that these young Bears would set an NCAA record for the most wins by a 1st year program. We didn't expect such incredible success. Shame on us. But we are grateful for it. We are grateful for these players who are relentless competitors on the field, disciplined students in the classroom, and impressive leaders on campus. We are grateful for the dedicated coaches who inspire these athletes to bear down and to rise up to the full stature of their God-given ability. And we are especially grateful for the man at the center of this remarkable success, Coach Bobby Lamb, whose Godly leadership, football savvy, and untamed passion makes this team the winners that they are. Thank you God for bringing Coach Bobby Lamb to Mercer University.

Now, O Lord, thou knowest that we are ready for some even greater football as we kickoff our play in the prestigious Southern Conference. We eagerly await the challenge of battling the Goliaths of the SoCon and so we gladly welcome today's opponents, the Paladins of Furman University. We pray for injury-free and respect-filled competition. And when the dust settles from tonight's fierce contest in this magnificent stadium, this modern Valley of Elah, may our Bears be standing tall and proud, as victorious David did so long ago. O Lord, thou knowest we are ready for some SoCon football. Amen.”

As you can see, he did broadly allude to Mercer's Team (not Coach Lamb, per se) being in a similar situation as David was in his battle with Goliath and that the teams of the SoCon (not FU, per se) were relative Goliath's (are you rejecting your team being compared to a 'giant' and a 'champion'?). Based on the pre-season projections of the weekly 4+ score 'beatdowns' that Mercer Football was going to receive from SoCon teams in 2014 that I read on here and elsewhere, I think you would have a hard time disagreeing with such an allusion.

Anyway - Personally, I thought it was an awesome invocation, but my God is a HUGE football fan. I hope yours is too!

catamount man
November 14th, 2014, 09:52 AM
LOL - Oh, my 'issues' with WCU go back a little longer than 4 weeks. They go back over 34 years...to 9/20/80, to be exact and include an interesting event on 10/27/84, BUT I have let neither the recent outcome nor the past transgressions affect my judgement this week. I have relied not on my own understanding. I have simply accepted the wisdom & prescience of Chattown and the incontrovertibility of mathematics.

For the record, Furman beat WCU 9/20/80 and then WCU beat Furman 10/27/84. So we have a disgruntled Paladin mad at WCU. Oh and I'll throw 12/10/83 in there as well. Probably makes you mad also. Again, nothing personal against you but your fan base has talked the biggest smack all offseason and have nothing in the SoCon to show for it. Good luck against TIME-WARNER.

- - - Updated - - -

I heard the invocation. Nothing wrong with it in my opinion. In fact I thought it was kinda funny.

Been late to all the parties this week. Wish I could say it is simply because the Paladins are sucking but I have been busy with family and work.

So who is playing:)

Winner - Woffordxdrunkyx

Wishing you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving OL FU. GO CATS!

FUBeAR
November 14th, 2014, 10:10 AM
For the record, Furman beat WCU 9/20/80 and then WCU beat Furman 10/27/84. So we have a disgruntled Paladin mad at WCU. Oh and I'll throw 12/10/83 in there as well. Probably makes you mad also.

So many assumptions; so little actual knowledge.

The outcomes of any/all of those games have no effect whatsoever on my feelings toward the cats. When you have played and coached football for almost 50 years, you're gonna take a few L's along the way. WCU Football & their fans have certainly had more than their share, right?

On the first 2 dates, there were collateral & untoward things which occurred that scar my memories (and body). On the 3rd date you mentioned, I actually had a fabulous and memorable time! I was part of the CBS Sports Team that broadcast that game. It was my 1st time working with them and led to years of working with them when they did college and pro football and basketball games in the Southeast...so that date is actually quite a highlight for me, despite the outcome of an excellently hard-fought defensive contest by teams that were Coached by 2 Goliaths of the Coaching ranks - Dick Sheridan & Bob Waters.

Regardless of all that...I'm just the messenger. Blame Chattown & the Mesopotamian Mathematicians (I think they are an NAIA Team) for my Power Rankings/Predictions this week!

OL FU
November 14th, 2014, 10:12 AM
- - - Updated - - -

Wishing you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving OL FU. GO CATS!

and the same for you.

Toby
November 14th, 2014, 10:22 AM
5 SoCon players named to 2014 FCS Freshmen of the Year Watch List. Congrats to all.

Cam Jackson (RB), The Citadel
Chandler Curtis (WR), Mercer
Alex Lakes (RB), Mercer
Al Cobb (QB), VMI
Detrez Newsome (RB), Western Carolina

BearDownMU
November 14th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Don't let these guys get under your skin. They have to continue to talk trash, as the only SoCon team they beat this season was VMI. If they played VMI today - they lose - and they know it. xnodx

Also, they can say anything they like about WCU.... The one thing they can't say is that Mercer has beaten Western Carolina on THEIR home field or any other field for that matter.

xcoffeex

Trash talking? That's funny. You think we are trash talkers?

FUBeAR
November 14th, 2014, 10:38 AM

Apparently, BearDown, ranking the cats anywhere below the corporate opinion of the WCU fanbase or picking their team to lose is FIGHTIN' WORDS!

http://votersopinion.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/thems-fighting-words.jpg

catamount man
November 14th, 2014, 11:08 AM
Apparently, BearDown, ranking the cats anywhere below the corporate opinion of the WCU fanbase or picking their team to lose is FIGHTIN' WORDS!

http://votersopinion.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/thems-fighting-words.jpg

No but having the 2013 NAIA/non-scholarship national champions talk smack all off season of how they are going to dominate the Southern Conference reeks of arrogance. I will own WCU's history, both good and bad. But beat some D1 teams not named VMI before you start trolling the rest of us and that's all I got. Mercer is not worth my time. GO CATS!

BearDownMU
November 14th, 2014, 11:32 AM
No but having the 2013 NAIA/non-scholarship national champions talk smack all off season of how they are going to dominate the Southern Conference reeks of arrogance. I will own WCU's history, both good and bad. But beat some D1 teams not named VMI before you start trolling the rest of us and that's all I got. Mercer is not worth my time. GO CATS!

Dude, now you are just making stuff up. Never once (and I even run our own board, www.mubeardown.com (http://www.mubeardown.com)) have I ever seen anyone associated with Mercer at any point talking about "dominating" the SoCon. I'm not sure why you are so butthurt about Mercer, but I would ask you.. No, scratch that... I DARE you to go and find instances where anyone associated with Mercer has talked about how we were going to dominate the SoCon. I don't care if you don't like Mercer, but don't make shhite up.

The Cats
November 14th, 2014, 11:35 AM

Before we discuss that, did you agree to cover Mercer for Scanning the SoCon? If you did, you're doing a great job - NOT

FUBeAR
November 14th, 2014, 11:37 AM
talk smack all off season of how they are going to dominate the Southern Conference

Please provide 3 written, audio, or video examples of such smack-talking claims of 2014 SoCon Dominance by Mercer's Football Players, Coaches, and/or even Fans & cite your sources. (MLA Format for source citations, please).

Otherwise, please stop the fouling up of this thread with your aspersions created out of whole cloth.

BearDownMU
November 14th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Before we discuss that, did you agree to cover Mercer for Scanning the SoCon? If you did, you're doing a great job - NOT

Nice job talking about things with which you are partially familiar. First of all (not that it's really any of your concern), I told Jon that I would do my best, but I had a lot going and it might be difficult. Also that my expertise didn't really lie with Basketball.

Secondly, since that conversation, I left my company for another, as I'm working on, you know, best providing for my life and my family. Coupled with the fact that I'm dealing with estate issues from the passing of my father. This should all be evidenced by the fact that, aside from today, I've barely posted here, or even on our board.

But mostly it really takes a special kind of a$$hole to make a comment like this, not really having all of the information, particularly when it doesn't have anything to do with the topic at hand. Just some ham handed attempt at a personal shot at me.

Panther-State
November 14th, 2014, 12:41 PM
xpopcornx I've got my folding chair ready!

Ghost
November 14th, 2014, 12:50 PM

FUBeAR
November 14th, 2014, 01:09 PM
xpopcornx I've got my folding chair ready!

I'm callin' it - BearDownMU will DOMINATE! He will SMACK The Cats right into the TRASH...that's what I'm TALKING about!

(There's 1 for you LesMilesCat...that I don't doubt you will try to use to support your claim. Only 2 more to go.)

BearDownMU
November 14th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Oh, and just in the interest of bringing, you know, verifiable information to a conversation, (for madhatter's benefit) here is the ENTIRE Western Carolina thread from the Mercer board. Feel free to peruse for yourselves and see all those examples of Mercer people being arrogant jerks.

http://mubeardown.com/thread/78/wcu-mercer

catamount man
November 14th, 2014, 01:20 PM
I am above sophomoric attempts at humor. I'll take October 18, 2014 and 35-21 with me all offseason. GO CATS!

BearDownMU
November 14th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Not above ignoring reality, apparently. Thank you for proving my point with the "I'm taking my ball and going home" defense.

catamount man
November 14th, 2014, 01:28 PM
WCU took the victory ball home. 35-21. DEAL WITH IT!

FUBeAR
November 14th, 2014, 01:41 PM
WCU took the victory ball home. 35-21. DEAL WITH IT!

You seem to want to focus the discussion on a specific, one-time event as opposed to the broader conversation of the issue you raised regarding Mercer Football (hard to discern if you meant Players, fans, or both) trash-talking, being arrogant, making claims of SoCon domination, etc., ad infinitum.

OK - so let's go with your approach, but take it even smaller...instead of one game, why not one play from that game? That avoids the topic just as effectively as repeating the score of the game. So, just put this play on loop and you can view that as the response every time you post the score of this year's game. Um-kay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZmmlOGy2xc

catamount man
November 14th, 2014, 01:47 PM
You seem to want to focus the discussion on a specific, one-time event as opposed to the broader conversation of the issue you raised regarding Mercer Football (hard to discern if you meant Players, fans, or both) trash-talking, being arrogant, making claims of SoCon domination, etc., ad infinitum.

OK - so let's go with your approach, but take it even smaller...instead of one game, why not one play from that game? That avoids the topic just as effectively as repeating the score of the game. So, just put this play on loop and you can view that as the response every time you post the score of this year's game. Um-kay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZmmlOGy2xc

Nice hit..........you still lost. 35-21. xthumbsupx

FUBeAR
November 14th, 2014, 01:56 PM
Nice hit..........you still lost. 35-21. xthumbsupx

...and now, click this:
http://www.youtube.com/yt/brand/media/image/YouTube-icon-dark.png

chattownmocs
November 14th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Furman and Mercer. Celebrating plays, not wins, in 2014

Sir William
November 14th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Furman and Mercer. Celebrating plays, not wins, in 2014

Whoa there Nellie...

Furman isn't celebrating anything this year, I can guarantee you that!

BearDownMU
November 14th, 2014, 03:54 PM
And you still make statements that you can't or won't back up.

catamount man
November 14th, 2014, 06:08 PM
And you still make statements that you can't or won't back up. Bless yer heart! :D

The Cats
November 14th, 2014, 07:02 PM
But mostly it really takes a special kind of a$$hole to make a comment like this........

You made the commitment, no one made it for you. If you had all that going on, all you had to do was replay to one of John's many emails; but I guess thats the way you conduct you business. However you certainly have had plenty of time to live on the message boards.

If you think calling me an asshole concerns me, well forget it, I've been called far worse by many ASU fans, as well as citdog.

citdog
November 14th, 2014, 07:27 PM
You made the commitment, no one made it for you. If you had all that going on, all you had to do was replay to one of John's many emails; but I guess thats the way you conduct you business. However you certainly have had plenty of time to live on the message boards.

If you think calling me an asshole concerns me, well forget it, I've been called far worse by many ASU fans, as well as citdog.

LOVE the Siggy baby! You REALLY like me! It's flattering! Perhaps we can get together and I can buy none of the drinks???

BearDownMU
November 14th, 2014, 07:28 PM
Really? Why are you involved? Or even care?

Or you just felt like you wanted to take a personal shot? Still not even sure what would prompt you to make such a statement. No one, as evidenced by the thread from the Mercer board, has ever been anything but cordial to you. I've certainly never talked about you directly or personally until you decided you go there. But maybe that's just your thing.

Live on the message boards? Go see how many posts I have over the last 3 weeks. Even on the board I admin. There ain't much. But keep up the good fight Gladys Kravitz. Fine work you're doing.

citdog
November 14th, 2014, 07:43 PM
Whoa there Nellie...

Furman isn't celebrating anything this year, I can guarantee you that!

furman sucks

catamount man
November 14th, 2014, 08:16 PM
LOVE the Siggy baby! You REALLY like me! It's flattering! Perhaps we can get together and I can buy none of the drinks???

So nothing has changed? LOL!

FUBeAR
November 14th, 2014, 10:57 PM

My Preacher says if the same negative thing keeps happening to you, you should ask yourself, "Who or what are the 'variables' and "Who or what are the 'constants'?" If the answer is that "You" are the constant, then you probably should consider making some changes in your life.

Amen

catamount man
November 15th, 2014, 04:55 AM
My Preacher says if the same negative thing keeps happening to you, you should ask yourself, "Who or what are the 'variables' and "Who or what are the 'constants'?" If the answer is that "You" are the constant, then you probably should consider making some changes in your life.

Amen

By the way, my name is not Les.

OL FU
November 15th, 2014, 02:08 PM
I am amazed. We should offer Wofford money every year to play in Paladin Stadiumxnodx

tenNesseeCat
November 15th, 2014, 04:51 PM
Opponent
Chatt. Pts
Opp. Pts
This much, %-wise
So, I must rank them...

n/a
n/a
n/a
0%

Mercer
23%

Sammy
58%

Woffy
138%

ElCid
143%

VMI
686%

WCU
#DIV/0!

n/a
n/a
n/a
#VALUE

VMI over WCU - Sorry Cindy...3rd strike of midnight in a row for the Cats. Keydets match up well enough on D and they keep the heat off VMI's QB - 31 - 21

Sorry buddy, 42-27 WCU over VMI! Good enough for a tie with Samford for 2nd! Have ya another nip though! GO CATS!!!

AshevilleApp2
November 15th, 2014, 07:20 PM
This is fun!

chattownmocs
November 15th, 2014, 07:32 PM
Davis Tull now sits alone atop the all-time socon sack list with 37.

catamount man
November 15th, 2014, 07:50 PM
I am amazed. We should offer Wofford money every year to play in Paladin Stadiumxnodx Guy behind me in Cullowhee told a bunch of us the score once it went final. We were shocked. Good job!

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry buddy, 42-27 WCU over VMI! Good enough for a tie with Samford for 2nd! Have ya another nip though! GO CATS!!! Troy Mitchell and Kanorris Benson today were amazing. Gotta give VMI QB props. That kid is a pack of hell. WCU's 1st 7 win season since 2001. Damn, was it cold?! lol! GO CATS!

The Cats
November 15th, 2014, 11:30 PM

Amen

Do you feel better now that you got that off your chest?

I sure do. !!!! xrotatehx

The Cats
November 15th, 2014, 11:47 PM
It's interesting, who's tied for last place in the SoCon.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-95wuvaVK7EY/VGg5VmFafoI/AAAAAAAACMc/Pv3T6zxY6Kk/s296/standings%2B5-2.JPG

BearDownMU
November 16th, 2014, 01:32 AM
Might be tied for last on that list, but we are first place in fun.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/11/15/7227377/mercer-offensive-lineman-catches-fat-guy-touchdown-bowls-over

xnodx

chattownmocs
November 16th, 2014, 02:08 AM

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/11/15/7227377/mercer-offensive-lineman-catches-fat-guy-touchdown-bowls-over

xnodx

Some of the most classless, bush league trash that has ever occured in a college football game.

If anyone still respects mercer after a play like that they have no respect for the game or sportsmanship. What an embarrassment to the sport your program already is. The offensive coordinator should be disciplined. If lamb knew or didn't blow his lid he is a complete fraud and doesn't deserve a lick of respect.

PaladinFan
November 16th, 2014, 06:23 AM
Some of the most classless, bush league trash that has ever occured in a college football game.

If anyone still respects mercer after a play like that they have no respect for the game or sportsmanship. What an embarrassment to the sport your program already is. The offensive coordinator should be disciplined. If lamb knew or didn't blow his lid he is a complete fraud and doesn't deserve a lick of respect.

I had not watched that video until this morning. What an embarrassment. Particularly embarrassing when it comes in a game against a completely overmatched opponent.

I have seen a lot of Bobby Lamb coached games. I have never seen anything like that. It would not surprise me to see some of those players benched for the first quarter of the Wofford game.

catamount man
November 16th, 2014, 06:58 AM
What would one expect from a bunch of no-nothings who talk trash and thump their chest because they dominate NAIA and non-scholly squads? It's a shame VMI lost to them. Hope Wofford takes out a season's frustration on them. GO CATS!!!

utcfan
November 16th, 2014, 07:29 AM

xnodx

No Class.

SCPALADIN
November 16th, 2014, 07:45 AM

xnodx

In a vacuum...funny.

Given the score and the opponent...completely classless. I hope Bobby Lamb got an earful from the opposing coach after the game.

OL FU
November 16th, 2014, 07:53 AM
In a vacuum...funny.

Given the score and the opponent...completely classless. I hope Bobby Lame got an earful from the opposing coach after the game.

That is a very good way to put it.xnodx

walliver
November 16th, 2014, 09:18 AM
In a vacuum...funny.

Given the score and the opponent...completely classless. I hope Bobby Lamb got an earful from the opposing coach after the game.

My issue with this is that this whole scheme was planned, the guys didn't spontaneously invent this. It had obviously been planned and rehearsed.

utcfan
November 16th, 2014, 09:54 AM
It's interesting, who's tied for last place in the SoCon.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-95wuvaVK7EY/VGg5VmFafoI/AAAAAAAACMc/Pv3T6zxY6Kk/s296/standings%2B5-2.JPG

You are what your record says you are...

MUfan
November 16th, 2014, 10:25 AM
You are what your record says you are...
Record says 6-5.
Pretty good for a second year program.

Just some kids enjoying the game they love.

Folks scared Mercer will be doing cartwheels on their team soon.

BearDownMU
November 16th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Lol. All of you people are hilarious.

All I know is, we were on SportsCenter Top 10 plays (again) and pretty much every major sports blog posted, tweeted and talked about this. 70,000 Instagram likes. You can't pay for this type of exposure. Just like the Nae Nae from the Duke game in the NCAA playoffs. Also notice, in not one article I've seen, was anyone talking about classless, or categorizing this as anything more than it was, the kids having a helluva time. Only see that from the butthurt teenage girls on here.

SCPALADIN
November 16th, 2014, 10:42 AM
I think we can officially say that Mercer has replaced Appy on the AGS.

OL FU
November 16th, 2014, 10:51 AM

All I know is, we were on SportsCenter Top 10 plays (again) and pretty much every major sports blog posted, tweeted and talked about this. 70,000 Instagram likes. You can't pay for this type of exposure. Just like the Nae Nae from the Duke game in the NCAA playoffs. Also notice, in not one article I've seen, was anyone talking about classless, or categorizing this as anything more than it was, the kids having a helluva time. Only see that from the butthurt teenage girls on here.

I would say I have been one of those that have been particularly supportive of Mercer in the SoCon. Main reason. I like your coach. But we can have different opinions on things without someone being a butt hurt or a teenage girl. Yes it was funny. But put your self in the position of the other team and tell me there was anything remotely connected to sportsmanship involved in that scene. Unless, of course, sportsmanship is unimportant.

So, I guess we will have a different opinion.

BearDownMU
November 16th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Different opinions to be sure. My opinion is that if this was a team other than Mercer, you wouldn't get this reaction on here. But, like you you said we can agree to disagree.

And, sure, it's possible it pissed off the other team. I guess. I don't really know. My personal opinion, in all those years of playing sports including college, was that I never really cared what the other team was doing. But, then again, I don't care about people running up the score either. Every coach I ever had taught me this: When the ball is snapped, buzzer goes off, pitch is made, everyone has a job. Try to win your matchup and let the coaches and refs deal with everything else. I've been on both ends of blowouts. When we were getting blown out, I was way more concerned about why we were getting our ass kicked than the other team dancing.

But that's just me.

OL FU
November 16th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Different opinions to be sure. My opinion is that if this was a team other than Mercer, you wouldn't get this reaction on here. But, like you you said we can agree to disagree.

And, sure, it's possible it pissed off the other team. I guess. I don't really know. My personal opinion, in all those years of playing sports including college, was that I never really cared what the other team was doing. But, then again, I don't care about people running up the score either. Every coach I ever had taught me this: When the ball is snapped, buzzer goes off, pitch is made, everyone has a job. Try to win your matchup and let the coaches and refs deal with everything else. I've been on both ends of blowouts. When we were getting blown out, I was way more concerned about why we were getting our ass kicked than the other team dancing.

But that's just me.

from my perspective, it had nothing to do with being Mercer. I am glad we can disagree respectfully.

BearDownMU
November 16th, 2014, 11:08 AM
Also, these things are entirely about intent. Do you believe the intent of any of those kids was to insult Warner? That the reason it was done was to embarrass or denigrate the other team? C'mon. No reasonable person thinks that. Which is why in the 20 different national media pieces I've seen about it, not one person suggests it was classless or being done to try and disrespect the other team.

OL FU
November 16th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Also, these things are entirely about intent. Do you believe the intent of any of those kids was to insult Warner? That the reason it was done was to embarrass or denigrate the other team? C'mon. No reasonable person thinks that. Which is why in the 20 different national media pieces I've seen about it, not one person suggests it was classless or being done to try and disrespect the other team.

The media is just enjoying the ride which is all the Mercer players were doing to. I don't disagree with you that their intent was bad. I just think it was a poor choice of a celebration. When I first watched the video, my initial take was "Damn that was funny". 30 seconds later it was "Damn glad that wasn't my alma mater"xthumbsupx

BearDownMU
November 16th, 2014, 11:24 AM
I respect that. I'm remain proud of mine. I also don't see a tackle-eligible touchdown celebration with his other line-mates as a reason to want to disown my alma mater. And, for a new program who is out in a really competitive recruiting marketplace, showing up all over the national sports media landscape is not a bad thing. Between twitter and social media comments I've read, it's pretty much 97% positive and it's taken for what it is. Only on here was it a landslide of condemnation. Again, maybe I'm wrong, but I wonder what the reason for that could be?

The Cats
November 16th, 2014, 11:24 AM

xnodx

I don't think I could add anything else to what has already been said about how inappropriate that celebration was.

Yes it was publicity, and like the PR guys say, ANY publicity is good publicity, so enjoy it Mercer. I just hope Lamb holds his nose as he watches HIS team on the replays of this he sees.

The Cats
November 16th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Only on here was it a landslide of condemnation. Again, maybe I'm wrong, but I wonder what the reason for that could be?

Try going to your bathroom, and take a long look at what you see in the mirror. You won't have to wonder any more. xnodx

BearDownMU
November 16th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Try going to your bathroom, and take a long look at what you see in the mirror. You won't have to wonder any more. xnodx

And from the awesome irony file: In a discussion about class, the ad hominem

The Cats
November 16th, 2014, 11:49 AM
And from the awesome irony file: In a discussion about class, the ad hominem

You asked a question. I gave you the answer.

SU DOG
November 16th, 2014, 11:56 AM
I, along with fans from most every SoCon school welcomed Mercer into the conference. Most of us also praised the Bears for being so competitive so quickly. Now, it seems that ANY difference of opinion from any of us causes their posters on here to assume a "circle the wagons" mentality. Get your own examples from dozens of posts to verify my point. Personally, this Mercer persecution complex is beginning to become VERY tiring to me.

Still glad that Mercer is in, and still have to say they have exceeded expectations. Just don't understand what more they think needs to be said.

BearDownMU
November 16th, 2014, 12:12 PM
All about perspective I suppose. From mine and the people that I've discussed this with, there have certainly been plenty of people that are welcoming and great to engage with from other schools. I personally have made it a point every week for conference games to go to the individual boards of other teams we were playing and talk, also offering my help for anything related to Mercer home games. What's funny to me, is that in every one of those scenarios, the discussion have been fun, cordial, no arguments or accusation, and even with disagreements, the discussion was respectful.

In an interesting sociological twist, when something occurs on AGS, (at least by my observation) it's generally a completely opposite tone. Snarky, snide, personal, gang up and be mean feel. Maybe I'm off.

This whole thing with The Cats is a prime example. I posted the entire thread from our board with him the week we played Western. He came to the board, we had some good natured ribbing, talked about the game, whatever. No one from either side said anything disparaging that wasn't in jest. Same when I went over to their board.

But somehow, since then, I see a post from him (on this thread, I think) about how all the Mercer people are these trash talkers that have come in and acted like we were going to "dominate" the SoCon? Something I've never seen. And, as I've mentioned before, I just don't know who The Cats got sideways with to generate this particular opinion.

As far as circling the wagons, I guess I also just don't see any Mercer people doing anything different from anyone else when it comes to defending or speaking in defense of their own program, and that is somehow poor form?

I can tell you, just from my perspective, that the types of things I've seen on the boards across this entire first SoCon season has made me feel like any time we defend our program, or disagree with something on here, it turns into we should just keep quiet and be glad we "made it" to the SoCon. Again, this isn't universal to people not from Mercer who talk about us, but thematically accurate from my view. And, quite frankly, no is really interested in hearing "be quiet, you are new" which has been my interpretation of the prevailing (but not universal) thought.

ElCid
November 16th, 2014, 01:31 PM
Sorry Mercer fans, there is nothing any of you can say that can excuse this childish behavior. Put all the spin on it you want and try to rationalize it away, but you just lost huge respect points from anyone who saw it. I know none of you probably care, but your program had gained my respect for its performance this season, until now.

MUfan
November 16th, 2014, 01:56 PM
Childish behavior from very young men playing a game ? Sounds normal.

FUBeAR
November 16th, 2014, 02:11 PM
I will recuse myself from any discussion of the subjective issues around the post-play activities associated with a great and well-executed TD.

Regardless of anyone's opinion, including my own, about that, I don't think anyone can argue that today, with a huge multiple, more prospective HS Football Players in GA, FL, AL, TN, and SC are seeing & talking about that play/celebration & Mercer Football than there are any other play or aspect of SoCon or even FCS Football. I would also think Cheddar's and Navicent Health are elated with the number of views their brands are getting today and will remember that when they are allocating their marketing/promotional $'s next year. I would certainly think there are also more than a few business owners & marketing executives in Middle GA today that might be a little more open to the idea of sponsoring Mercer Football than there were yesterday. Finally, I think it's safe to say that a few residents of Middle GA, who have thought about, maybe, going to a Mercer game some Saturday, will think "FUN!" instead of "I really want to get out and see that John Russ' nationally-ranked passing efficiency" when they think about coming to a game in 2015. While I, personally, prefer the latter reason to attend, perhaps the casual football fan with 2.5 kids from ages 4-14 does not. While good sportsmanship may (or may not) have taken an L with this celebration, it's a BIG W for Mercer Football vis a vis Recruiting and Marketing (Sponsors & Prospective Attendees). For a start-up 'company,' Talent Acquisition success, obtaining sustained financing & gaining Customer Mind Share are 3 of the hardest hurdles to overcome. This silliness continues Mercer Football's rise in each of those areas, whether any of us like/agree with it or not.

utcfan
November 16th, 2014, 02:50 PM
I just watched a classy way to celebrate a TD and it won't be on top 10. Philly Brown. WR. Carolina catches a 50 yard TD pass to give Carolina a lead in the 4th quarter. He ran over and gave the ball (his career first TD catch in NFL) to about a 7 or 8 year old boy who hugged the ball like it meant the world to him. Life long memory for that boy. Not the self service display demonstrated yesterday at Mercer.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on what is and is not unsportmanlike behavior.

PaladinFan
November 16th, 2014, 02:56 PM
I say this as a Mercer alum. Mercer is heavily focused on self-promotion. That is particularly true with regard to athletics. They desperately promote atmosphere and winning.

With that in mind, something like a goofy touchdown celebration that gets tweets on ESPN is right up Mercer's alley. They love that kind of attention. Other universities could not care less about that sort of publicity. However, that is just my opinion.

I don't think it is "anti-Mercer" to call that touchdown celebration embarrassing. I like Mercer. I spent years of my life at Mercer and living in Macon. I have a lot of good friends that are both Mercer students and alums.

That celebration, though, was stupid. I would say it was stupid if Furman did it too. Personally, if you are going to mug for the cameras after a score, do it against a team that will knock you into next week on the following series.

utcfan
November 16th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Childish behavior from very young men playing a game ? Sounds normal.

I watch a lot of college football--as well as high school and NFL. Never observed that behavior after a TD. So, its not normal. I am willing to bet Coach Lamb doesn't allow it again.

MUfan
November 16th, 2014, 03:57 PM
I watch a lot of college football--as well as high school and NFL. Never observed that behavior after a TD. So, its not normal. I am willing to bet Coach Lamb doesn't allow it again.
It was very creative. Most teams aren't that creative after a TD. I do see a lot of childish celebrating after other big plays. College football is exactly where we should see this sort of stuff. They aren't professionals. Have fun playing a game. It was not taunting the opposing team but it was celebrating with your team.

utcfan
November 16th, 2014, 04:22 PM
1-It was not a team celebration--only 5 or 6 players involved, they could have celebrated on the sideline with their team...could have put on the same skit over by the OL bench, but they chose to do it to draw attention to themselves...not the team.
2-I doubt Lamb will criticize the players publicly, but I like the odds he privately sent the message that was bush league and that he expects it not to happen again.
3-I am not Anti-Mercer--I think they bring a lot to the league this year in MBB (maybe other sports) and I think they have a foundation for a solid football team that will be in the thick of title hunts down the road. I do hope they get away from all the NAIA games soon.

BearDownMU
November 16th, 2014, 04:32 PM
1-It was not a team celebration--only 5 or 6 players involved, they could have celebrated on the sideline with their team...could have put on the same skit over by the OL bench, but they chose to do it to draw attention to themselves...not the team.
2-I doubt Lamb will criticize the players publicly, but I like the odds he privately sent the message that was bush league and that he expects it not to happen again.
3-I am not Anti-Mercer--I think they bring a lot to the league this year in MBB (maybe other sports) and I think they have a foundation for a solid football team that will be in the thick of title hunts down the road. I do hope they get away from all the NAIA games soon.

Women's Soccer won the SoCon Tournament Championship, Men's Soccer won the SoCon regular season championship, don't know yet on baseball, but we got an at-large bid to the NCAA's and and were ranked in the NCAA Top 25 last year. Just to your point about other sports.

Oh, and we have confirmed that all our out of conference games next year are D1 games.

utcfan
November 16th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Women's Soccer won the SoCon Tournament Championship, Men's Soccer won the SoCon regular season championship, don't know yet on baseball, but we got an at-large bid to the NCAA's and and were ranked in the NCAA Top 25 last year. Just to your point about other sports.

Oh, and we have confirmed that all our out of conference games next year are D1 games.

Glad you aren't playing the NAIA members of the Conference. I realize it might take a year or two, but I hope you give up the OOC cupcakes below FCS soon.

MUfan
November 16th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Glad you aren't playing the NAIA members of the Conference. I realize it might take a year or two, but I hope you give up the OOC cupcakes below FCS soon.

2014 NAIA Champs.
Don't hate.

SU DOG
November 16th, 2014, 04:54 PM
Don't hate??? LOL, Point proven.

utcfan
November 16th, 2014, 05:02 PM
Yeah well they are 5-3 this year vs NAIA competition and currently not ranked in NAIA Top 25 this year. Maybe get some home and home games with Pioneer Conference teams. Similar teams aren't too far above NAIA (some same level) and, for now, counts as a D1 win. Could also look at some home and home games with Big South and OVC.

BearDownMU
November 16th, 2014, 05:17 PM
I think next year's OOC's are the return Austin Peay game in TN, Stetson, Tennessee Tech, and ETSU. But I haven't seen an official release.

I'm considering renting a condo in TN for the Fall. lol

MUfan
November 16th, 2014, 05:21 PM
Don't worry about Mercer's schedule.
Maybe some focus on your own team.
We'll get a few more wins in the SoCon next year. Might even compete for Socon title.

utcfan
November 16th, 2014, 05:30 PM
I am focused on the Mocs---but I am able to multitask
The focus of this thread is the SoCon, teams, schedules, games, power rankings, etc...
The future schedules of conference members comes up often.

MUfan
November 16th, 2014, 05:59 PM
I'm sure that Mercer's schedule will soon be comparable to everyone else in the conference.

Ghost
November 16th, 2014, 06:05 PM
I, along with fans from most every SoCon school welcomed Mercer into the conference. Most of us also praised the Bears for being so competitive so quickly. Now, it seems that ANY difference of opinion from any of us causes their posters on here to assume a "circle the wagons" mentality. Get your own examples from dozens of posts to verify my point. Personally, this Mercer persecution complex is beginning to become VERY tiring to me.

Still glad that Mercer is in, and still have to say they have exceeded expectations. Just don't understand what more they think needs to be said.
This. I think that some. not all mercer fans have a little bit of this complex. I didn't get a good feeling after I watched the video. Yea. it was funny but if I was on the other team I would have been out there trying to end someone's career. Maybe that speaks to my anger control issues. but it also could be considered a huge slap in the face to a team that was clearly out matched.

I say this as a Mercer alum. Mercer is heavily focused on self-promotion. That is particularly true with regard to athletics. They desperately promote atmosphere and winning.

With that in mind, something like a goofy touchdown celebration that gets tweets on ESPN is right up Mercer's alley. They love that kind of attention. Other universities could not care less about that sort of publicity. However, that is just my opinion.

I don't think it is "anti-Mercer" to call that touchdown celebration embarrassing. I like Mercer. I spent years of my life at Mercer and living in Macon. I have a lot of good friends that are both Mercer students and alums.

That celebration, though, was stupid. I would say it was stupid if Furman did it too. Personally, if you are going to mug for the cameras after a score, do it against a team that will knock you into next week on the following series.
I've started noticing this. after researching some of Mercer's history its only recently that the school has been in the national spot light. Part of being a good program is how you handle that spotlight. I would say basketball has handled it with impeccable ease. this was a step down for football in my book. As someone who lives by the good ole golden rule of doing unto others, I get the feeling Mercer will recover and it probably won't happen again but among message boards like this Perception tends to be reality. Its going to be awhile before "respect" can be earned. Which I'm sure some Mercer posters could really care less about.

Toby
November 16th, 2014, 06:06 PM
I will recuse myself from any discussion of the subjective issues around the post-play activities associated with a great and well-executed TD.

Regardless of anyone's opinion, including my own, about that, I don't think anyone can argue that today, with a huge multiple, more prospective HS Football Players in GA, FL, AL, TN, and SC are seeing & talking about that play/celebration & Mercer Football than there are any other play or aspect of SoCon or even FCS Football. I would also think Cheddar's and Navicent Health are elated with the number of views their brands are getting today and will remember that when they are allocating their marketing/promotional $'s next year. I would certainly think there are also more than a few business owners & marketing executives in Middle GA today that might be a little more open to the idea of sponsoring Mercer Football than there were yesterday. Finally, I think it's safe to say that a few residents of Middle GA, who have thought about, maybe, going to a Mercer game some Saturday, will think "FUN!" instead of "I really want to get out and see that John Russ' nationally-ranked passing efficiency" when they think about coming to a game in 2015. While I, personally, prefer the latter reason to attend, perhaps the casual football fan with 2.5 kids from ages 4-14 does not. While good sportsmanship may (or may not) have taken an L with this celebration, it's a BIG W for Mercer Football vis a vis Recruiting and Marketing (Sponsors & Prospective Attendees). For a start-up 'company,' Talent Acquisition success, obtaining sustained financing & gaining Customer Mind Share are 3 of the hardest hurdles to overcome. This silliness continues Mercer Football's rise in each of those areas, whether any of us like/agree with it or not.

I've gotta say that I was not too wild about the celebration. I guess I'm too old school. Although I did hear from people across the country who let me know they saw it on Sports Center so I suppose you are right about the marketing aspect. But here is hoping that it was a one time thing.

Toby
November 16th, 2014, 06:15 PM
I think next year's OOC's are the return Austin Peay game in TN, Stetson, Tennessee Tech, and ETSU. But I haven't seen an official release.

I'm considering renting a condo in TN for the Fall. lol

I saw where Mercer got a big OL commit yesterday from a pretty big recruit that is from Nashville, TN. Maybe the TN focus is part of the recruiting effort because TN doesn't really have a private FCS D-1 option (i.e. Samford, Wofford, Furman or Mercer).

Toby
November 16th, 2014, 06:19 PM

Cool!

PaladinFan
November 16th, 2014, 06:52 PM
I saw where Mercer got a big OL commit yesterday from a pretty big recruit that is from Nashville, TN. Maybe the TN focus is part of the recruiting effort because TN doesn't really have a private FCS D-1 option (i.e. Samford, Wofford, Furman or Mercer).

Lamb used to recruit Tennessee at Furman. I imagine he will continue to do so. Furman, for example, has a lot of inroads in the Nashville area. Fowler and much of his coaching staff were at Vanderbilt for years. Good start for Mercer there, though.

Not sure how "big" of a commit he is. According to soconrecruiting, Mercer is the only SoCon school that offered him.

chattownmocs
November 16th, 2014, 06:53 PM

So you manufactured a sportscenter top ten. Why would anyone need to pay for this type of exposure? Anybody at any time could do this, they don't because it unbelievably classless you moron. In order to beat duke, you have to beat duke. You mercer fans are a special kind of stupid.

catamount man
November 16th, 2014, 06:55 PM
So you manufactured a sportscenter top ten. Why would anyone need to pay for this type of exposure? Anybody at any time could do this, they don't because it unbelievably classless you moron. In order to beat duke, you have to beat duke. You mercer fans are a special kind of stupid. And they broke it out against WARNER? I guess Berry or Maryville weren't available? LOL!

Toby
November 16th, 2014, 07:03 PM
Lamb used to recruit Tennessee at Furman. I imagine he will continue to do so. Furman, for example, has a lot of inroads in the Nashville area. Fowler and much of his coaching staff were at Vanderbilt for years. Good start for Mercer there, though.

Not sure how "big" of a commit he is. According to soconrecruiting, Mercer is the only SoCon school that offered him.

Who really knows how "big" any of these recruits are until they strap 'em on…. although he does has a couple of FBS Sun Belt offers. Was mostly pointing out the Tennessee connection.

chattownmocs
November 16th, 2014, 07:05 PM

This wasn't an accomplishment you reject. Anyone can get on sportscenter if they want to stoop this low. Every time a minor league manager finds a new way to get tossed from a baseball game, its on sportscenter. No one is jealous that you did something dispicable to get yourself on tv.

BearDownMU
November 16th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Armageddon Alert: Chattown is attempting to set the moral bar. lol

Toby
November 16th, 2014, 07:20 PM
I've changed my mind about the Celebration. Watching all these panties getting wadded up has been priceless!

FUBeAR
November 16th, 2014, 07:27 PM
This wasn't an accomplishment you reject. Anyone can get on sportscenter if they want to stoop this low. Every time a minor league manager finds a new way to get tossed from a baseball game, its on sportscenter. No one is jealous that you did something dispicable to get yourself on tv.

If your post is not going to refer to nor address anything at all that I said in my post, I'm confused as to why you would 'quote' my post in your reply.

BearDownMU
November 16th, 2014, 07:30 PM
I take it back. Chattown is right. This is easy and nothing good can come from it.

BullDog85
November 16th, 2014, 07:41 PM
More like the new Marshall.

The Cats
November 16th, 2014, 07:52 PM
More like the new Marshall.

WOW.... that's a low blow.

Deserved, but still low.......

chattownmocs
November 16th, 2014, 08:33 PM
Any quotes from Lamb on the celebratory hijinx?

BearDownMU
November 16th, 2014, 08:49 PM
I haven't seen anything. The Telegraph didn't file an article on the game (lotsa UGA-Auburn stuff) and I'm not sure if there was a post game press conference. We normally don't see video from those posted until after the weekend. I'm curious to what he would say if he even addresses it, myself.

The Cats
November 16th, 2014, 08:51 PM
Any quotes from Lamb on the celebratory hijinx?

Don't expect any. Mercer's celebrating it on their official athletic web site.....

Marchman's Touchdown Celebration Hits the National Spotlight (http://www.mercerbears.com/sports/fball/2014-15/videos/20141116-rmh205b6)

PaladinFan
November 17th, 2014, 05:22 AM
I haven't seen anything. The Telegraph didn't file an article on the game (lotsa UGA-Auburn stuff) and I'm not sure if there was a post game press conference. We normally don't see video from those posted until after the weekend. I'm curious to what he would say if he even addresses it, myself.

Lamb's twitter feed pretty well has retweeted every reference to the celebration. I imagine if he disapproved of the act, he wouldn't be promoting it.

OL FU
November 17th, 2014, 06:01 AM
I've gotta say that I was not too wild about the celebration. I guess I'm too old school. Although I did hear from people across the country who let me know they saw it on Sports Center so I suppose you are right about the marketing aspect. But here is hoping that it was a one time thing.

That would be my sentiment and would be my take. It wouldn't be a reason for me to diss my alma mater but it wouldn't be something I would be fond of or defend.xthumbsupx

- - - Updated - - -

I've changed my mind about the Celebration. Watching all these panties getting wadded up has been priceless!

Bummerxlolx

PaladinFan
November 17th, 2014, 07:09 AM
That would be my sentiment and would be my take. It wouldn't be a reason for me to diss my alma mater but it wouldn't be something I would be fond of or defend.xthumbsupx

- - - Updated - - -

Bummerxlolx

I personally think Furman's offense should turn around and bare their butts at the defense right before the snap. That would be sure to get on SportsCenter. Promotion and all, you know.

Catamount87
November 17th, 2014, 08:27 AM
Premeditated, without a doubt. Funny, yes. Flash in the pan publicity, yes. Bush league antics that lacked sportsmanship, definitely. Draw the attention away a winning record against from a very weak schedule full of inferior opponents, most definitely. Taint the reputation of the team because of the previous two points, absolutely. Now to move on...

What happened to Wofford? Just a few weeks ago they were seemingly quietly getting it all back together and headed for a solid season. If they bring the effort of the last two weeks to this week's game, Mercer will get SoCon win number two.

Furman, it's been sad to watch their complete collapse. But it's nice to see they still have some fight left in them.

The Citadel, they've not really ever been "out a game" this season but boy the last 2-3 minutes of games haven't been kind to them.

VMI, geez if they actually played defense they would have won more than two games.

Samford appears to finally have all the pieces together but probably too late to secure an at-large bid.

Chattanooga, finally put it all together and just dominated the SoCon this year. Well done Mocs.

Catamounts, exceeded everyone's expectations. (As a fan, it's been nice to hear the good words, encouragement and support from other school's fans.) To get over this next hump, we need to add more defensive talent and ditch the mid-game conservative play calling.

Toby
November 17th, 2014, 03:52 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Bummerxlolx

Sorry to bum you out. I still wish they hadn't done it and hope they don't do it again, but I have to confess the over-the-top gasket blowing indignation has been fun to read.